Temper, quaintly / FRI 1-12-24 / Pair of percussion pieces / It doesn't run below the bridge / Futura, for one / A-list guest, to a host / Long-nosed swimmer

Friday, January 12, 2024

Constructor: Hemant Mehta

Relative difficulty: Easy


THEME: none 

Word of the Day: HI-HAT (29A: Pair of percussion pieces) —

hi-hat (hihathigh-hat, etc.) is a combination of two cymbals and a pedal, all mounted on a metal stand. It is a part of the standard drum kit used by drummers in many styles of music including rockpopjazz, and blues. Hi-hats consist of a matching pair of small to medium-sized cymbals mounted on a stand, with the two cymbals facing each other. The bottom cymbal is fixed and the top is mounted on a rod which moves the top cymbal toward the bottom one when the pedal is depressed (a hi-hat that is in this position is said to be "closed" or "closed hi-hats").

The hi-hat evolved from a "sock cymbal", a pair of similar cymbals mounted at ground level on a hinged, spring-loaded foot apparatus. Drummers invented the first sock cymbals to enable one drummer to play multiple percussion instruments at the same time. Over time these became mounted on short stands—also known as "low-boys"—and activated by pedals similar to those used in modern hi-hats. When extended upward roughly 3 feet (76 cm) they were originally known as "high sock" cymbals, which evolved over time to the familiar "high-hat" term. [...] 

While the term hi-hat normally refers to the entire setup (two cymbals, stand, pedal, rod mechanism), in some cases, drummers use it to refer exclusively to the two cymbals themselves. (wikipedia)
• • •

***ATTENTION: READERS AND FELLOW SOLVERS*** : Hello from the first properly snowy day of Winter 2024! It's early January, which means it's time once again for my annual week-long pitch for financial contributions to the blog. Every year I ask readers to consider what the blog is worth to them on an annual basis and give accordingly. So ... 17 years ... not bad. At this time last year, I was recovering from COVID and still dealing with the very fresh grief brought on by the untimely death of my cat, Olive. I was very grateful for the blog at that point, since it grounded me in routine and gave me a place where I could lose myself in a pastime I love, and share that love with others. OK, yes, true, I don't always *love* crosswords. Sometimes it's more hate-love or love-hate or "Why are you being like this, you stupid puzzle!?" It ain't all positive vibes, as you know. But I realized last year that part of what makes this blog so fun for me, and what makes it a solace to many readers, is the sense of commiseration it provides. Sometimes the puzzle thrills you, and maybe I agree with you, and maybe I don't; and sometimes it infuriates you, and maybe I agree with you, and maybe I don't. But either way, the blog is here; it's *always* here. You get to have your feelings validated, or you get to shake your head at my errant judgment and often breathtaking ignorance, but either way, you get to share an experience that's an important part of your daily life, and maybe you learn something new. Above all, I hope you feel that there is a real person with a real life and real emotions and (very) real human flaws who's telling you what it was *really* like for him to solve the puzzle. I never wanted to be an expert, offering some kind of bloodless know-it-all advice and analysis. I wanted blood. Blood on the page. There will be blood! ... But also, music videos. And Words of the Day. And, if you hang around long enough, cat pictures. Like this one:


This is Ida (she put herself in the bin, I swear). Ida is the happy sequel to last year's grief. At the beginning of January, I was mourning. By the end of January, I was still mourning, but now I had a new companion (as did my other cat, Alfie, who *really* needed one). Why am I talking about my cats? Because they are constant, they give shape and rhythm to my day, and I love them even if they sometimes drive me crazy. Just like crossword puzzles! (See that! Segue! This is why you should pay me the big bucks!) 

However much I love writing this blog (and I do, a lot), it is, in fact, a job. This blog has covered the NYTXW every day, without fail, for 17 years, and except for two days a month (when my regular stand-ins Mali and Clare write for me), and an occasional vacation or sick day (when I hire substitutes to write for me), it's me who's doing the writing. Every day. At very ... let's say, inconvenient hours (my alarm goes off most mornings at 3:45am). Over the years, I have received all kinds of advice about "monetizing" the blog, invitations to turn it into a subscription-type deal à la Substack or Patreon. But that sort of thing has never felt right for me. I like being out here on Main, on this super old-school blogging platform, just giving it away for free and relying on conscientious addicts like yourselves to pay me what you think the blog's worth. It's just nicer that way. 

How much should you give? Whatever you think the blog is worth to you on a yearly basis. Whatever that amount is is fantastic. Some people refuse to pay for what they can get for free. Others just don't have money to spare. All are welcome to read the blog—the site will always be open and free. But if you are able to express your appreciation monetarily, here are three options. First, a Paypal button (which you can also find in the blog sidebar on the homepage):

Second, a mailing address (checks can be made out to "Michael Sharp" or "Rex Parker"):

Rex Parker c/o Michael Sharp
54 Matthews St
Binghamton, NY 13905

The third, increasingly popular option is Venmo; if that's your preferred way of moving money around, my handle is @MichaelDavidSharp (the last four digits of my phone are 4878, in case Venmo asks you, which I guess it does sometimes, when it's not trying to push crypto on you, what the hell?!)

All Paypal contributions will be gratefully acknowledged by email. All Venmo contributions will get a little heart emoji, at a minimum :) All snail mail contributions will be gratefully acknowledged with hand-written postcards. I. Love. Snail Mail. I love seeing your gorgeous handwriting and then sending you my awful handwriting. It's all so wonderful. My daughter (Ella Egan) has once again designed my annual thank-you cards, and once again those cards feature (wait for it) cats! My cats: Alfie & Ida. This year, an elegant set of five!



These really capture the combination of beauty and goofiness that I love in cats (and puzzles, frankly). I'd say "Collect All Five!" but every snail-mail contributor will get just one and (hopefully) like it! Please note: I don't keep a "mailing list" and don't share my contributor info with anyone. And if you give by snail mail and (for some reason) don't want a thank-you card, just indicate "NO CARD." Again, as ever, I'm so grateful for your readership and support. Please know that your support means a lot to me and my family. Now on to today's puzzle... 

• • •

[these are the best Skittles and I can't
find them anymore!]
Lots to enjoy here, but again, as with yesterday's, there's no late-week bite. No difficulty, no challenge, no wrestling with demons, nothing of the sort. Lots of whoosh-whoosh (hurray), but unallayed whoosh-whoosh is like a meal of Skittles. I love Skittles, but I cannot live on them. I need ... what's the nutritional equivalent of puzzle difficulty? Fiber? Vitamins? Anyway, I need the puzzle to push back a little, and this one simply didn't. I had a few hesitations: "Is TV CAM really a thing people say?" (1A: What might make the news, for short?). "What is this surgery prep term that isn't SCRUBS UP or SCRUBS IN or SHAVES THE PATIENT or the like?" (15D: Preps for surgery). "Why won't BLACK OUT fit in these squares!?" (35D: Eclipse). "What is a Futura? Is it a FORD? ... no? ... is it a FIAT? ... no. Not a car, eh?" (38D: Futura, for one = FONT). But that's it? I think that's literally it. Yes, I had to wait for a few crosses to get the ostentatiously wordplayish clue at 17A: It doesn't run below the bridge (STUFFY NOSE), but the crosses came easily, in abundance, and when the crosses come that way, the longer answers just don't stand a chance, no matter how hard they're trying to be clever. I don't think of a STUFFY NOSE as not running. The Mayo Clinic says:
Nasal congestion, also called stuffy nose, is a feeling of fullness in the nose or face. There also might be fluid running or dripping out of the nose or down the back of the throat. (mayoclinic.org) (my emph.)
This would seem to contradict today's clue, at least a little, but points for effort, man, that clue is really giving you all it's got. Once I got out of the NW and started zinging around the grid, I found a lot to like about this puzzle, particularly SHOOK THINGS UP and UP TO NO GOOD (yes, the "UP"s are doubled, and no I didn't really care—somehow the word is small enough, and the expressions long and vivid enough, that the double-UP is not really something I noticed as I sailed along; whereas the doubled THATs from Wednesday's puzzle were conspicuous and jarring, perhaps because there were just fewer long (non-theme) answers to distract me ... also THAT is twice as long as UP, so that ... probably had something to do with my different reactions as well). 


I think BORE THE COST is probably a fine answer (24D: Covered expenses), but it feels like it has some EAT-A-SANDWICH DNA in it, somehow. It's a real thing but doesn't *quite* want to stand on its own (though, to be fair, it stands alone much better than EAT A SANDWICH, which is why it's more a distant relative than a sibling or first cousin). "MY FAULT" doesn't want to stand on its own nearly as much as "MY BAD" (5D: "Sorry, I messed up"). This clue also has that issue I complained about recently where a complete sentence is used to clue a fragment (or vice versa). The equivalent "Sorry, I messed up" is "It was my fault." So there are two reasons why "MY FAULT" felt off to MY EARS. Ooh, SPOILED ROTTEN, I forgot to include that in the list of Loved answers. The longer answers really do have a lot of sassy, mischievous energy today. I also like the clue on BANNED BOOKS—fun to go in unexpected rather than predictable directions with the examples (6D: Merriam-Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary and "Where's Waldo?," once). What did people think Waldo ... was up to? No good? Hmm, gotta reread that one ...


A list of other things!:
  • 21A: Temper, quaintly (DANDER) — this made me smile. "Quaintly" is exactly right, right on the money. I've only ever heard this meaning of DANDER in the phrase "get one's DANDER up." I think IRISH was once used this way too ("get one's IRISH up"), but maybe that was considered a slur (??) and people stopped using it. I don't mind the quaintness today. I don't need more pet DANDER in my life.
  • 36A: "Bridgerton" actor Regé-___ Page (JEAN)
     — no idea, but with the French-looking first part and then the hyphen, I figured JEAN was more likely than, say, JOAN.
  • 45A: Figures that are best kept low, in brief (ERAS) — baseball stat that I just assume everyone knows but if not, "Earned Run Average" is a pitching stat that's good if it's low because it means the pitcher gives up fewer runs, on average (the "average" is over a nine-inning period) (please don't carp with this definition, I just haven't got time to explain earned v. unearned runs, let alone the morass of other stats I'd surely run into if I kept writing about this topic, I mean, pretty soon you're explaining FIP and people start quietly leaving the room so they can get on with their lives...).
  • 8D: High ways? (ELS) — the elevated (or "el") trains, specifically in Chicago. Second plural ELS this week. Ernie ELS sits sadly by wondering what he did wrong.
  • 16A: First American woman in space (RIDE) — Sally Ride (forever musically linked with "Heavy Metal Suicide")
  • 9D: Response to an approaching embarrassment (CRINGE) — I think I do not understand what "approaching" is doing here. Don't you CRINGE when the embarrassment is already upon you? Or upon someone else, and you are embarrassed on their behalf? Or is the "approaching embarrassment," like, your uncle, coming toward you, making puns and discussing his political, uh, insights?
  • 37A: A-list guest, to a host (GET) — nice use of verb as noun here. Very in-the-language.
  • 50D: The Big Apple's "bravest," in brief (FDNY) — the quotation marks around "bravest" made me laugh, as they look like ironic "air quotes." Guess the NYT doesn't think the FDNY are actually brave. If I were a really bored writer at a conservative website, I would make a big deal of this.
I found a stray (!) Holiday Pet Pic, so please enjoy Felix and Chester basking in the warmth of holiday cheer and their own obvious greatness. To a cat, Everything is a throne. These two make adorable co-regents:

[Thanks, Liam]

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]

103 comments:

Conrad 5:25 AM  


I had a little more difficulty than @Rex did, possibly because of my early morning haze. I'd call it Easy-Medium.

6D: BANNEr year before BANNED BOOKS (prior to reading the clue)
27D: Was thinking OH IT is so on before OH IT'S ON NOW
31A was a triple kealoa (cia, nsa, FBI)
Naticked at 32D x 36A -- I didn't know either Erykah BADU or Reje-JEAN Page. Guessed at the A.
39D: ON A tear before ROLL
51A: nAda before TANG
57A: RoWR before RAWR

Anonymous 5:50 AM  

Rawr?

Anonymous 6:39 AM  

As I recall with Waldo, there was a cheeky scenario on the beach with a topless sunbather. Probably other scenes, but that’s the one I remember hearing about.

Agree with Rex - a lot to love about the puzzle but pretty easy. I finished in about half my average Friday time.

Rene-David 6:40 AM  

I dunno. Maybe it’s just my own frame of mind, but some of the clues here had me scratching my head, and struck me as maybe *technically* correct, but…

For example, does anyone think of them as “a pair of HI-HATS?”
Or thought to themselves, “boy, that guy was a real ACER?”
Do I need to read an insider mag for hoteliers to have encountered the term “GET?”

There were definitely spots that irked me for generational or mass-culture reasons (BAE, or references to “Survivor,” for example) but I know there I’m just being crotchety. These others are just weird to my ears.

Hal9000 7:01 AM  

Agree that it was on the easy side for a Friday but I thought there was a lot of cuteness to it, and it wasn’t overly peppered with obscure celebs and trivia. Still laughing about, “…shag and brag, baby!”

SouthsideJohnny 7:22 AM  

A bit of a missed opportunity - we already had TVCAM, BAE, PEP and BOOTY CALL solidly entrenched in the NW - if we could have moved RAWR up there and somehow cured the unfortunate RUNNY NOSE, the NYT would have had their first “Red Light District”:section. Suggestions for future enhancements would be to sneak some ASSES in there if we are under quota on ASS for the week, and a nice NOTEL would be welcome for the convenience factor.

I see that BANGERS and BARES have already raised their hands and stand ready to volunteer for Red Light District duty as well.

B. Rich 7:26 AM  

@ Rene-David

The percussion pieces are two cymbals. A pair of cymbals = a HI-HAT

Agree with you re ACER, which is a genus of trees (or a computer company). One who puts one past you is an ACE.

Ted 7:27 AM  

@Rex,

There actually WAS a Ford Futura (and a Lincoln, too). The Ford was an Australian model. But your brain dug that out from... somewhere.

Anonymous 7:33 AM  

I heard Waldo was found reading a book on CRT, in drag.

feinstee 7:34 AM  

Here is a link to an article about the Waldo banning...with before/after images of the topless sunbather. https://www.elpl.org/blogs/post/banned-book-week-wheres-waldo/

Andy Freude 7:46 AM  

With BAE in place, for a moment I thought 6D would be Best sellerS. As if!
Last square: correcting RoWR to RAWR. Hmmpf.

Anonymous 7:50 AM  

I also had the whole puzzle done with only GET left undone…. Clearly I’ve never encountered that particular use before. So close!!

Anonymous 7:51 AM  

BEST SELLERS before BANNED BOOKS messed me up for a while, but otherwise a fun, gentle ride.

Son Volt 7:54 AM  

Had fun with this - thought the clueing voice was just edgy enough to make it fine late week fare. BOOTY CALLS over STUFFY NOSE x BANNED BOOKS is a fantastic group. Agree with Rex on TV CAM and never like an abbreviation at the start.

SING TO Me

I think the quotes are fine for FDNY - especially given the sibling “finest”. No idea on ADLER - thankfully the crosses were fair. I’m not big on HUGGER or ACER either but minor blips in otherwise slick and fun grid.

Pleasant Friday morning solve.

Johnny Winter

SouthsideJohnny 8:00 AM  

Wow - another WaPo / NYT “dupe” today. The Gray Lady has the fur tycoon ASTOR, and the WaPo has the city named after the fur merchant ASTORIA - not exactly a duplicate, but close enough for CrossWorld. That’s three days in a row I believe.

JJK 8:02 AM  

@Rene-David 6:40 I guess I’m being crotchety too, but I agree with all your points, I didn’t like any of those clues and answers. And I’ll add RAWR. Ugh! That was not inferable (OHITSONNOW was hard for me to come up with, adding to the problem) and it’s not sexy, it’s yucky, some slimey Austin Powers-type idea of sexy.

Edward 8:03 AM  

38D: FORD before FONT. Futura was a submodel of the Ford Falcon back in the Kennedy and Johnson administrations. Yes, I'm old.

mmorgan 8:09 AM  

I’m sure a few dozen people will say this but bravest is probably in quotes because it’s part of a motto/slogan. As the NYPD are New York’s “finest,” the NYFD are the “bravest,”. But Rex probably knows that.

Dr.A 8:11 AM  

I didn’t think it was “easy” either. In fact I had to look up the planetarium. Just got stuck over there.
Prepping for surgery and SEDATE are not a good pair. You don’t just sedate someone for surgery. You anesthetize them. it’s different. Ok, rant over. That did annoy me though, as a doctor, I figured, oh this will be a gimme and it was the last thing I filled in.

Eater of Sole 8:11 AM  

I found myself idly wondering why "NY" appears first in NYPD and second in FDNY. Now, as a direct result, I've got the chorus of "Fairytale of New York" playing on repeat in my head. A regular occurrence during the holidays but I thought it had passed. Oh well. If I have to be infected with an earworm, I'll take this one over most.

ACER as "one who aces" should be permanently banned.

Twangster 8:15 AM  

I agree this was on the Challenging side, felt more like a hard Saturday than a Friday.

Lewis 8:20 AM  

Oh, lovely longs today, and a good number: 6 tens, 2 elevens, and 2 thirteens. My favorites were SPOILED ROTTEN, UP TO NO GOOD, and the NYT debut answers BANNED BOOKS, HIDDEN FEES, STUFFY NOSE, and SHOOK THINGS UP.

Coursing through beauty like that, to me, is like gazing at a field of sunflowers or being entranced by a Gaugin.

Lovely resistance in the cluing to conquer as well, for me. Vague one-worders, such as [Coup], [Figures], and [Eclipse]. Vague multi-worders, such as [What might make the news, for short], [Ice cream shop purchase], and [The seasons, e.g.]. Clues that could go different ways, such as [Covered expenses] – is the answer a noun or a verb?

I liked the answers that evoked energy – BANGERS, SHOOK THINGS UP, OH IT’S ON NOW, RAN AT, HUGGER, ON A ROLL – balanced out by FLOAT and SEDATES. And ooh, five double O’s, plus the marvelous PuzzPair© of BARE over BONES.

But mostly, superbly executed in the box today, the sweetness of beauty blended with the feel-good of overcoming resistance. What a splendid outing, and thank you, Hemant!

Fun_CFO 8:29 AM  

Enjoyable Friday, and agree on easy.

BANGERS/SPOILEDROTTEN, really got me off and running and very little trouble the rest of the way.

Love when long answers (with no crosses )are the first thing that pops in your head and fit right in. Which was the case for me on SPOILEDROTTEN, SHOOKTHINGSUP, and UPTONOGOOD.

Austin Powers quotes always welcome.

Didn’t care for the ATNO/ACER/IRENE crossing trio, but small forced-fill price for a lively grid.

Agree BADU/JEAN cross also could be tricky. Badu’s from my area so easy get.

@ Conrad FBI is not a kealoa with cia/nsa

Burghman 8:32 AM  

Things I learned while doing this puzzle… BestsellerS (first try) and BurNEDBOOKS (second try) have the same number of letters as BANNEDBOOKS. With BurNEDBOOKS in there, the clue about the bridge at 17A sure looked like it would end in “ROad” (I also had ALOE at that point), maybe along the lines of “overpass road” or similar that would fit. Sneaky deceitful, even if it was my own doing.

Rony Vardi 8:32 AM  

Host meaning a TV host. A GET as in they scored a great guest.

Rony Vardi 8:33 AM  

Well played.

Anonymous 8:34 AM  

Chemistry teacher chiming in. ATNO is not a thing.

Anonymous 8:46 AM  

Threw in BESTSELLER for Waldo and Webster and that got me Bae which somehow was right anyway. didn’t take long to realize that bestseller was wrong and whoosh whoosh the rest of the way to a 8:06 finish

Bob Mills 8:48 AM  

Had to cheat to get the JEAN/JPGS cross, but otherwise finished it cleanly. I was slow to figure out GET as an A-list guest, and went back and forth between OHITSONNOW and "okitshonnow" because I didn't know HIHAT.

A well constructed puzzle, I thought. Not easy, but very easy compared to last Friday's bloodbath.

DrBB 8:53 AM  

Definitely a Medium for me, going by the timer. 16 minutes on the NYT site, which is the equivalent of ~ 14 in .puz. I used to use 15 as my target for Fri/Sat., but that was back in the days when the NYT interface didn't, y'know,

SUCK.

Felt Hard at the start for me, lots of "maybe's" in the top quadrant but nothing , then a trickle down the W to the bottom, where ASTOR provided my first good toehold and then the whoosh started, rising up to the top. Kinda like Tetris!

I was *hoping* for OHITSONNOW at 27D, and when that started to validate I was totally on-side with this one. Lots of fun stuff in there, made up for a few PPP that were totally outside my reference frame but gettable by crosses. Just the right level of difficulty + fun for a Friday, for me.

DrBB 9:02 AM  

Followed the Where's Waldo link (thx @feinstee). Man do you have to SEARCH that image to get offended. Reminds me of the old joke about the lady who calls the cops bc her neighbor is walking around naked in front of the windows of his house.

"But madam, the nearest house is almost a mile away."

"Here, use my binoculars."

RooMonster 9:06 AM  

Hey All !
This puz started out as nigh impossible! I was flailing around the grid with just an answer or three, while the puz mocked me. Finally started to get a little bit in the SW, than all of a sudden, Rex's whoosh-whoosh kicked in, and I just smoked though the puz and was finished! In 21 minutes, fast for me for flailing first. (😁)

STUFFY NOSE clue was inspired, should make @Lewis' best of the year

Overall nice FriThemeless. Still ON A ROLL with my Streak. 27 and counting! Hopefully the SatPuz won't destroy me. Har.

Happy Friday!

Five F's (INSPired)
RooMonster
DarrinV

Anonymous 9:15 AM  

I’ll me-too the questionable wisdom of quoting “bravest” — scare quotes are wrong but still frequently inferred.

MYFAULT does not stand alone like “my bad” does.

TVCAM and BORETHECOST are not things.

I confidently entered BESTSELLERS for the books.

But I agree : overall quite easy (30 secs off my best Friday time, 10 minutes faster than my average) for a Friday. Hope this portends a brutal Saturday….

pabloinnh 9:18 AM  

@Andy Freude-Not only did I think BESTSELLERS, I confidently wrote it in and congratulated myself on my lightning wit. Be glad you didn't as it messed up every answer that would have crossed it and slowed things down forever. And now I have to go back through the kids' Where's Waldo books to see if I can find the topless sunbather, if that's even possible.

Once I fixed the middle things went smoothly, except for the proper names. I knew Sally RIDE (Sally, Ride!) and Jacob ASTOR, but RIAN, JEAN, and BADU, were all WTF's. Also found out there's a VOTE involved in "Survivor". Didn't know, still don't care.

Easy to imagine Austin Powers saying RAWR!

Really nice Friday, HM. Had Me going for a while but wound up really liking this one. Thanks for all the fun.

Matt 9:35 AM  

Probably just because of how I was jumping around the grid, but FBI and ATF in the same puzzle grated at me. Otherwise a fun Friday.

Alex 9:36 AM  

I reallly liked this puzzle, and thought the long answers were terrific. Someone commented about acer — in tennis, an ace is a served that is placed so well that it can’t be touched, let alone returned.

Anonymous 9:59 AM  

Echo @Conrad with little stumbles throughout which made it feel medium. Enjoyed answers, especially OHITSONNOW with an early whoosh

FBI with CIA and NSA is a kealoaulu

Mike in Bed-Stuy 10:08 AM  

I only knew that John Jacob ASTOR was a fur tycoon because I live in NYC, and the Astor Place subway station sports glazed ceramic tiles depicting beavers (notably refurbished or replaced during a major renovation in the 1980s).

jberg 10:25 AM  

Not so easy for me, my brain was just not working. For most of the solve I thought covered expenses were those that I could include on my expense account (none, sadly, since I retired). And SHOOK THINKGS UP just didn't swim into my consciousness.

But I did avoid bestsellers -- if MW had made that list it would really have been "surprisingly." Fortunately, I recently read one of Judd Legum's newsletters about a Florida school district that has banned all dictionaries on the ground that they define sexual terms.

Claudia Cardinale says RAWR to INSP Clouseau in one of the Pink Panther movies, so it was nice to see them together in the grid (if not in the movie, where she passes out from alcohol before anything can happen).

One major gripe: while FDNY and other local fire departments investigate arson, ATF, a federal agency concerned with illegal trade in (you guessed it) alcohol, tobacco, and firearms does no such thing. I needed all the crosses to accept that one.

egsforbreakfast 10:45 AM  

Nice to see an appearance by the Irish troublemaker UPTON O'GOOD. When I'd ask how things were with him, he'd give me that impish smile and say " All BANGERS and BOOTYCALLS, mate."

Johnny Carson used to SPOILEDROTTEN. Ed loved it.

Could we please see a show of hands from all those who have ever used RAN AT to signify assailing someone? M-W defines assail as: to attack violently with blows or words.
A: Just keep it up and Ima beat the shit out of you!
B: Fat chance, jerk off. I'll run at you so hard you'll beg for mercy.

A good day for Pontiac today, with SINGTO and the implied opposite (con) GTO. It's been conclusively demonstrated that humankind can be divided into those with and those without a GTO.

Easy, but fun, Friday. Thanks Hemant Mehta.


MetroGnome 10:51 AM  

GET is a verb. How can it be synonymous with an "A-list guest"? For that matter, I thought ACE was a noun or an adjective, as well; never heard of an ACER. You can ACE someone now??

Sam 11:05 AM  

Pretty easy. Only the NE gave me any trouble because I dropped in WILD instead of IDLE.

Anonymous 11:09 AM  

TVCAM??????? Has anybody ever heard this used in a sentence? "Hey, it's time to report the news, where is the TV CAM???"

A fur tycoon? Plural "seasons", but singular "cycle"? I've only heard "dander" used when describing allergens. Highly obscure proper nouns in RIAN, JEAN, RIDE? I've proudly never watched Survivor, and never will. No idea what a HI HAT is. I hated this puzzle and obviously didn't finish.

Nancy 11:13 AM  

I almost hurled this into my wall on several occasions -- especially when the unknown BADU crossed the unknown JEAN and ROAR turned out to be something not-ROAR, and quite possibly illiterate.

I was completely flummoxed in the NW and while the phrase STUFFY NOSE is great fill, the clue for it...isn't. If it's STUFFY, it doesn't run above the bridge either.

The only thing I got immediately on the entire left side of the puzzle was GET. Thank you, Barbara Walters.

But that was hardly enough. I struggled in the East, too with HIDDEN COST "confirmed" by CIA, before I realized it was HIDDEN FEES, confirmed by FBI.

To have PDF and JPGS in the same puzzle was too much of a bad thing.

Once I'd limped to the finish line -- without any cheats, I might add -- I realized that there was some quite wonderful and lively fill in the puzzle: BOOTY CALLS; SPOILED ROTTEN; SHOOK THINGS UP; TINSELTOWN; BANNED BOOKS, as clued (and what does that teach you, Ron de S?); and UP TO NO GOOD.

I wish I'd enjoyed it as much while solving as I did after I finished solving. It reminds me of the famous writer (can't remember who) who claimed that happiness isn't writing; happiness is having written. I've never agreed with that aphorism at all, but I do think it can frequently be said of puzzle-solving.

Anonymous 11:15 AM  

"GET" makes me think of the Jewish divorce document. But here, I guess it's more along the lines of Barbara Walters wanting a particularly hard-to-GET celebrity to do an interview with her.

beckiwithani 11:18 AM  

Realized this week that my new year’s (sorta) resolution of commenting more here was made confidently (almost as confidently as I typed in BestsellerS instead of BANNEDBOOKS) …. While I was on a two-week winter vacation. Back to the grind this week and finding myself unable to even look at the blog till bedtime most days. Ah, well.

I loved OHITSONNOW.
Loved STUFFYNOSE, as my personal definition for that term is much closer to the clue than the Mayo Clinic’s definition.
Enjoyed SPOILEDROTTEN and marveled at the corner of my brain that somehow remembered the name of the planetarium.

A little over 14:00, fairly easy for me, and such a more enjoyable way to continue my cheatless streak compared to last Friday’s pain.

Fun fact: Hemant Mehta was on Jeopardy! awhile back. Wonder how many constructors are in that Venn Diagram intersection? @Lewis, do you know?

EKoch 11:35 AM  

@mmorgan: I too assumed the quotes on "bravest" were due to the word being part of the FDNY motto. "New York"s Strongest" are garbage collectors, and "New York's Boldest" are corrections officers.

Ride the Reading 11:54 AM  

Another for easy-medium, nearer to easy. Maybe it's the Chicago vibe, with ELS and ADLER. Now I want some cinnamon rolls from Ann Sather. Where will we go next? Uptown? O, good.

With the F in at 38D, yes, in went FORD. Must be from visits to brother in Oz. Now the answer to. Have you erased a Ford...lately?, is yes.

Thanks, Mr. Mehta.

DuckReconMajor 12:06 PM  

My first Friday!
Didn't even need to do a "try every letter" square 😎
Figured it would be marked 'Easy' but I'm still counting it. Maybe an easy Saturday is in my future 🤞

Anonymous 12:08 PM  

Yup, it was banned for a pair of dots representing cartoon nipples about the size of the period at the end of this sentence.

jb129 12:08 PM  

Not EASY for me. Didn't know a lot (RAWR which I know now but maybe not again) & GET - I had gem.

I'm happy for those who found it easy &/or enjoyed it, but sorry to say, not me :(

puzzlehoarder 12:14 PM  

This was easy in spite of my FORD/FONT and ASCOT/ASTOR write overs.

If I'm remembering correctly besides from using the word SHAG Austin Powers also does the RAWR thing. A missed cross reference.


A term like TVCAM is one of those things you see only in puzzles. Minicam on the other hand is an SB classic. Speaking of the SB....

yd -0, the current QB streak is at 16

@okanager, that 8 point stumper you ran into last Sun was both hellacious and hellacial to find.

Newboy 12:15 PM  

LORDY BAE what a day ! -2 degrees outside and the HP just ran outta ink, so the pix of tuxedo cat Sox hugging rag doll Fox which I wanted to include with Rex’s modicum will ,alas, have to wait until next Christmas. Nothing to get my DANDER up about, but ……

Yep, today went by far too quickly for solvers confined to quarters, but it was worth the odd moment to reflect on where Waldo went wrong & then puzzle over the distinction between CHiPped and CHAPped……as our STUFFY NOSE will no doubt become. Uncle Google as always found Waldo. Thanks Hemant for sharing another late week ACER.

Now it’s off to see what commentariat thought & enjoy some AUDEN poetry in expiation of yesterday’s gaff.

Ride the Reading 12:16 PM  

Make that...Uptown? Good. And a comma after "to" - not a period. Need new glasses, I guess.

MkB 12:23 PM  

While ultimately it wasn't too hard of a solve, the NW corner is just terrible.

Three abbreviations--one of them also a "?" clue--and the old quote clue thing all in one corner is just ugly (and there are approximately a million better clues for VOTE), which set a real sour tone for a puzzle that had entirely too many abbreviations, "?" clues that weren't especially enjoyable or clever, and proper nouns.

Which is kind of a shame, because I rather liked the long answers, if not all of their clues. They all felt like things actual humans say, which often isn't the case.

Tom T 12:33 PM  

Easy-ish to Easy-Medium.

I'm not fond of ACER as clued, but to be clear--it is tennis related. The one who puts her serve by you has hit an ACE, making her an ACER.

Yeah, it still sucks; stick to computer related clues for ACER.

Carola 12:34 PM  

I agree with @Rex that the puzzle could have had more Friday bite, but what a great collection of longer (10-,11-,13-letter) answers! For me, they were a mix of the fun of instant fill-in (SPOILED ROTTEN) and the fun of "what could it be?" (BORE THE COST). For a bit, I thought that 37A GET might be GEm, and that would have been apt for this grid that was packed with them, including the non-them DANDER and BANGERS. It all left me smiling.

Do-overs: like others Best sellerS, thankfully corrected right away by CALLS; cia x HIDDEN cost. Help from previous puzzles: BAE, BADU. Help from Chicago being our closest Big City: ADLER. No idea: JEAN.

@Hemant Mehta - I don't know how you managed to get all of those winning phrases into one grid, but (HI) HATS off to your wizardry.

jae 12:36 PM  

Easy-medium. HIDDEN cost before FEES which led to cia before FBI. Also hon before BAE and me too for FOrd before FONT. Plus I read 24d. “Covered expenses” to mean stuff like hotel bills and meals and only figured it out after I finished…so not a particularly whooshy solve for me.

Low on CRINGE and with quite a bit of sparkle, liked it.

Gary Jugert 12:37 PM  

A disappointing experience, but it zipped by like a Tuesday, so the sadness ended quickly. Again, the only challenge was pop culture. And holy Toledo there were so many for shorts.

Just to be clear future constructors, in order to publish a puzzle with the BOOTY CALL joke, the slush pile editor said yes to this array of gah: TV CAM, BAE, FBI, OPEDS, ERAS, PDF, TBSP, ATNO, ELS, JPGS, GTO, INSP, FDNY.

I like: STUFFY NOSE, UP TO NO GOOD, HUGGER, and TINSEL TOWN.

Tee-Hee: I do not think the erudite crew members staffing our beloved NYTXW offices know what a BOOTY CALL is and you can understand with those Ivy league credentials and a passion for words they probably spent their SPOILED ROTTEN years on this planet playing Settlers of Catan rather than sneaking around at 3 am in sketchy hotels hoping for a SHAG. Maybe they've received an advanced copy of WHERE'S WALDO BOOTY CALL edition where you look for him after he's removed the scarf. RAWR.

Uniclues:

1 How to survive a snotty flood.
2 Opinion of nobody with taste buds.
3 Checkered Chinese dynasty.
4 Oh jeez, here's where the lion sleeps tonight and where the safari came to an abrupt end.
5 What 45 thought on Jan 6.
6 Comic sans before I learned it's not OK.
7 Run it down with a Ford Superduty.
8 The pride of librarian's annual display.
9 Emulates Bill Cosby while hosting woman of song.
10 Bagel bugs.
11 What I do when seeing those photos my former brother-in-law took of his mulleted pride-and-joy with his new girlfriend in shorty-shorts.

1 IDLE STUFFY NOSE
2 BANGERS RULE (~)
3 TANG UP TO NO GOOD
4 RAWR COT ... LORDY
5 OH ITS ON NOW COUP
6 MY FAULT FONT
7 BLOT OUT CYCLE
8 BANNED BOOKS PIC
9 SEDATES IRENE
10 ANTS ON A ROLL
11 GTO JPGS CRINGE

My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: The CPR-class dummy didn't make it. EMT'S ROUGH START.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Perry 12:42 PM  

I have never once heard of 'getting one's dander up.' I have heard of 'getting one's Irish up' or 'getting one's back up,' but never dander. DANDER was a real hang up for me in this puzzle. I went I had all but the beginning letter and I went through all of the letters of the alphabet, but none of them made sense. As a phrase, 'getting one's dander up' still doesn't make sense to me.

Masked and Anonymous 12:43 PM  

Luved the fillins in this FriPuz themeless. Longballs were especially great.

Five ?-marker clues, but every one of em in the upper half of the puzgrid! Plus, the STUFFYNOSE clue probably rated a ?-markup, too boot.

staff weeject pick: PIC. Rhymes with pick. Also, had no idea what the pic its clue was talkin about.

some ultra-fave stuffy-stuff: STUFFYNOSE clue. Webster's dictionary ban [Gov. A-Butt of Texas would approve]. SPOILEDROTTEN. UPTONOGOOD. OHITSONNOW. CRINGE. RAWR.

Thanx for the fun, Mr. Mehta dude.

Masked & Anonymo5Us


**gruntz**

Whatsername 12:47 PM  

Don’t think I watched a single episode of Survivor so I was a little concerned starting out but no big challenge anywhere. Not too many names either which I always appreciate. Enjoyable but largely uneventful, although I do admit that “SHAG and brag” along with the British BANGERS and BOOTY CALLS did made me CRINGE a bit.

In Rex’s annual pitch, he mentions that we may learn something new from his blog, and I find that’s often true for me. Today I learned what a HI HAT is, and it looks nothing like I imagined. I had envisioned some special kind of drums. Therefore NOW I’m officially smarter than I was when I got up this morning and have accomplished something quite laudable. So I’ve deduced this means I can go back to my guilty pleasure of binge watching The Sopranos. Certainly is good weather for it.

okanaganer 12:54 PM  

After a few minutes of skipping almost every clue, thinking "there's too many possibilities for that!", it settled down to a pretty average difficulty. Some nice answers, but the best part was the clue for BANNED BOOKS.

Typeovers: for "A-list guest, to a host" VIP before GET; for "Figures that are best kept low" IOUS before ERAS. And for "Arson investigating org" I really wanted FD- something, only to later see FDNY down there.

@DrBB, if you're on a desktop computer, you know you can go back to Across Lite by installing the Crossword Scraper plugin, right?

[Spelling Bee: Thurs currently -1, missing a 7er; will try some more later. @puzzlehoarder, way to go again!]

Lewis 1:11 PM  

@beckiwithani -- Sorry to say, I don't know how many constructors have been on Jeopardy, but I do know that Hemant won his first match, but lost his second in Final Jeopardy, after coming in with the lead. He was very gracious about it, smiling at and applauding for the winner.

Ride the Reading 1:24 PM  

@beckiwithani - I remember Erik Agard being on "Jeopardy!" - jeez, that was five years ago.

Anonymous 1:38 PM  

I think the encroaching works, but is unnecessary. You can cringe both while expecting something embarrassing to happen imminently and while the embarrassing thing happens.

No idea about ERAS or ELS. Very American. I suppose it is an American puzzle, but it irks nonetheless.

Anoa Bob 1:53 PM  

For those working toward their POC (plural of convenience) Merit Badge, identify the five two-for-one POCs in today's grid where a Down and an Across both get a letter count boost by sharing a final S and compare that to yesterday's near POC-less grid. Note how all five Ss could be changed to black squares, AKIN to "cheater squares", without losing anything of intertest or value. The grid would now have a virtual black square count of 37, a bit high for a themeless. (Hope these remarks did not raise anyone's DANDER.)

Anonymous 1:55 PM  

@Beckiwithani - Erik Agard won three games, and purposefully got Alex Trebek to say something particularly stupid. There was another constructor, I forget the name, who won several games. When he came back for a repeat performance said that he and his wife discussed it, and that they have been very fortunate throughout their lives and so gave half the winnings away.

MJB 2:11 PM  

Erik Agard won over $66,000 in four appearances on Jeopardy.


Roy Orbison does one heck of a "rawr" on Oh, Pretty Woman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KFvoDDs0XM

oriordan 2:11 PM  

I’m in California and my ritual is to do the puzzle with my afternoon cup of tea, after which I switch over and read the blog from start to finish. Since most of you have packed up and gone home by then, I don’t post. But since it’s Rex’s fundraising week, I'm chiming in early-ish (before I've done the puzzle) to say how much I value both his blog and the community it has created. My thanks Rex for his indefatigable commitment, and to all the regular contributors for all the many hilarious jokes, asides, and links you all provide.

jb129 2:29 PM  

And our friend, Sam Buttrey, was always gracious even when he smacked the podium (or was it his head?).

Anonymous 3:04 PM  

A singular HIHAT is made of a pair of cymbals. It’s a fair clue with a bit of misdirection.

Anonymous 3:04 PM  

Super hard for me. Wasn’t helped by my confidence that the dictionary and Waldo were BESTSELLERS, thereby screwing up countless acrosses. DNF

johnk 4:06 PM  

GET lost with "in-the-language". In-whose-language? Look it up in whose slang dictionary - or any other dictionary? It's not that I didn't fill it in to complete the solve - what else would fit? I just had to grit my teeth while doing it. My dentist would chastise me for not inserting my mouth guard.
LORDY - a puzzle with fully 1/5 of its fill consisting of abbreviations makes me CRINGE a bit. WTFDTTTDH?

beckiwithani 4:59 PM  

Thanks for all the good memories, @Lewis @Ride the Reading @MJB @Anon 1:55PM. I was a daily Jeopardy watcher for decades and an occasional crossword solver. Cut the cord a few months ago and switched it up, now watching Jeopardy only occasionally but doing the crossword religiously. Kind of fun to see those two worlds meeting.

Anonymous 5:21 PM  

@egsforbreakfast, you can look up ‘run at’ in Merriam-Webster Webster online, definition 2. Example they give is something like he ran at him with a knife.

Anonymous 5:49 PM  

Late to this, as an afternoon solver, but ,as a high school teacher I constantly hear the kids saying "my fault" in lieu of "my bad" as a complete thought and apology.

bocamp 5:53 PM  

Thx Hemant; excellent challenge so far! 😊

Downs-o (4 hrs in, with only the bottom 1/3 solid)

Into incubation/marinade mode. 🤞
___
Peace 🕊 🇺🇦 ~ Compassion ~ Tolerance ~ Kindness ~ Freudenfreude & a DAP to all 👊 🙏

Pete 7:07 PM  

@Becki.... Let's not forget Rex's sometimes cryptic crossword solving partner Rachael Fabi (??). She won a game or two while taking a break from being a bioethicist.

GILL I. 7:32 PM  

I'm assuming most of you by now are having evening cocktails or eating dinner or watching TV. I'm here at 4:12 still wondering about this puzzle.
Nobody will read it but I'm still going to speak my say.
I still don't get GET. I don't think I really want to? That is to say that this puzzle and I were so far apart that even binoculars wouldn't have helped.
My first of many thoughts: Do people really say that? I'm with @Rene 6:40 . The ACER answer? Are HIDDEN FEES a buyers remorse? I mistakenly had *higher fares*...That's my remorse. When you've thrown down the gauntlet do you really inhale and utter OH IT'S ON NOW? Good gravy. Then I looked at Eclipse as a verb and so wanted *Obscures.*. .Wrong verb...Maybe a noun? CRINGE is a response to an approaching embarrassment? I mean I understanding a CRINGE from someone acting stupidly or some such but.....well, Hermant and I would never be able to dance a fandango tango together.
I found this frustrating and not so fun. I cheated on BADU and JEAN...I wanted to. know why ZIP was TANG and not *Nada*...I don't know Austin Powers or why he wanted to SHAG and brag....and on and on and on.
I had a few cheats but I did finish. Not my favorite on my favorite day.

K Alpha 7:56 PM  

Absolutely nothing to do with NYT or puzzing, but I stumbled across this blog, populated by, I assume, word freaks, and I'd like to ask the group about the so-called word "impactful"? I'm on a lifetime crusade to eliminate it, what do you all think?

Whatsername 8:32 PM  

@oriordan (2:11) It may not be the first time you’ve posted, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen your name before so . . . welcome to the commentariat. I imagine others who post in the morning probably do as I sometimes do and come back in the evening to read comments. So, even though you may be later than most, don’t let that stop you from sharing your thoughts. There may be more people reading than you realize.

Dan P 9:27 PM  

A terrific RAWRer for my money is Thomas Haden Church in Sideways.
To my ear, OH IT'S ON stands on its own. NOW replaces the OH or else it's off....

Trina 10:23 PM  

Can someone please explain 47 down? ATNO??

Anonymous 12:20 AM  

Certain TV shows or movies when you can see something awkward coming and you are yelling at the characters NOT TO DO THAT can make me cringe in anticipation of embarrassment for them. That clue was right on the money for me.

Anonymous 12:21 AM  

maybe I've been Online too long but rawr is probably the least sexy growl I think of

okanaganer 12:25 AM  

@Trina, Atomic Number. "He" = Helium.

Sandy McCroskey 12:32 AM  

@Trina Atomic Number

Anonymous 12:59 AM  

Atomic number (helium)

Anonymous 6:06 AM  

Atomic number

Anonymous 1:35 PM  

and SHAG!

Liam Montgomery 7:56 AM  

Best. Holiday. Pet. Pic. Ever. Signed, Felix’s and Chester’s dad. 😎

kitshef 9:09 AM  

Hard and unpleasant. Nothing worse than introducing difficulty via obscure names (JEAN, RIAN, DOWD, IRENE). Also, SHAG + BOOTY CALLS = too sniggery for my taste.

Here Diagonally 3:07 AM  

Lifelong drummer one week late to the game with some hot hi-hat talk. I tend to think of the cymbals themselves as my hi-hats. I could see myself going into a music store and asking, “How much for that pair of hi-hats?” BORING OVERSHARE: That’s if I’m interested in a matched set. More likely I’m inquiring about a top hat separate from a bottom hat.

The stand with the pedal is a high-hat stand. I don’t really think of the whole contraption as a singular high-hat, but that said, can definitely hear a surly sound man asking can he move my hi-hat (no he cannot.)

“More hats in the monitor, please!”

Rene-David 5:16 AM  

Diagonally, I’ll cheerfully stand corrected on “Hi-Hats,” and join your surly sound man in the Corner of Percussive Ignorance.

I suspect that somewhere deep down I’m still stinging from the subtle misdirection of referring to “a pair,” in a domain full of claves, congas and castanets and other mutually banged objects that come in actual pairs. I can’t help but think the same deviousness was behind the Ford/Font Futura clue, but I’ve been known to be a little paranoid about these things.

spacecraft 12:19 PM  

I still don't understand the STUFFYNOSE clue. I mean mine doesn't just run--it's like the Usain Bolt of noses.

I had a bit of a snag in the SW on account of OH IT IS SO ON, which I think is better than the given. An expression containing five two-letter words!

Otherwise, though, it was indeed easy for a Friday. Liked most of the longballs. Birdie.

Wordle par, somehow missing a two-inch birdie putt.

Diana, LIW 12:27 PM  

I always love to show Mr. W the most outrageously silly clues/answers. Today STUFFYNOSE won the day without a doubt.

JEAN crossing BADU was, of course, a Natick for me.

But lots and lots of fun.

Lady Di

Burma Shave 12:31 PM  

TINSELTOWN BANNED IT

ON THE HIDDEN TVCAM
IRENE BARES THE THINGS she could;
SHOOK her BOOTY, LORDY ma'am,
ONAROL, UPTONOGOOD.

--- INSP. JEAN ADLER-ASTOR, FBI

rondo 12:41 PM  

To answer OFL's question: Yes, Futura was a FOrd, a version of the Falcon that disappeared due to the Mustang, all built on the same platform. Friend of mine had one. That was my write-over for today. Otherwise easy.
Headline: BANNED BOOTY BANGERS SHOOKTHINGSUP.
Wordle bogey, three shots at GGGBB.

Anonymous 1:20 PM  

Bad fill and bad cluing ruined this one. ACER as clued is just not acceptable. 17A’s clue is just bad. Too many non-words like FDNY, INSP RAWR, TBSP, ELS, ATF etc. But the rotten cherry on the cake was ATNO. That was epically bad.

Michael 2:08 PM  

Missed opportunity to blog a link to Lead Belly singing Goodnight Irene… https://youtu.be/NT-OuWmXDsY?feature=shared

Anonymous 1:50 PM  

Surprised that no-one pointed out the puz-pair of IRENE & ADLER. It was elementary for me

Anonymous 4:52 AM  

I doubt anyone will read this at this late date, but I thought for sure 17 across was going to be stillwater.

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP