Fantasy sports scoring standard, informally / TUE 1-9-24 / Writer/podcaster Harris / Exhibited heliotropism, as a flower / Thousand-dollar bill, slangily / Rank's counterpart, on a chessboard / Lawn game played with a ball known as a pallino / Dip that might be made in a molcajete, informally

Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Constructor: Adam Wagner

Relative difficulty: Normal, maybe a little north of Normal (despite being an undersized puzzle)


THEME: TUESDAY (55A: Part of a calendar septet, and a phonetic hint to this puzzle's theme) — three answers have abbreviations for "two" of the (other) seven "day"s in them. 

Theme answers:
  • FOLLOWED THE SUN (18A: Exhibited heliotropism, as a flower)
  • SOLOMON NORTHUP (32A: Abolitionist who wrote "Twelve Years a Slave")
  • SAT IN THE FRIDGE (49A: Went uneaten, as some groceries)
Word of the Day: AISHA Harris (48D: Writer/podcaster Harris) —
Aisha Harris
 is an American writer, editor, and podcaster. She was a staff writer, editor and podcast host at Slate before moving to the New York Times in 2018 as an editor. Since 2020, she has been a co-host and reporter for the NPR show Pop Culture Happy Hour. [...] In December 2013, Harris wrote a piece for Slate examining the cultural origins of Santa Claus and suggesting that the near-ubiquitous representation of Santa as white could be eschewed in favor of a wider symbol, such as an animal. In response to Harris' piece, Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly responded by asserting on her program The Kelly File that "Santa just is white", and stating that the same was true for Jesus Christ. Kelly's comments drew heavy criticism from a variety of news outlets; in response, Kelly accused her criticizers of "race-baiting". Harris appeared on CNN and criticized Kelly's response, stating that Kelly's statements simultaneously played the role of victim and that Kelly downplayed the comments as a joke after the initial backlash. (wikipedia)
• • •

***ATTENTION: READERS AND FELLOW SOLVERS*** : Hello from the first properly wintry week of the season! And Happy Newish Year! It's early January, which means it's time once again for my annual week-long pitch for financial contributions to the blog. Every year I ask readers to consider what the blog is worth to them on an annual basis and give accordingly. So ... 17 years ... not bad. At this time last year, I was recovering from COVID and still dealing with the very fresh grief brought on by the untimely death of my cat, Olive. I was very grateful for the blog at that point, since it grounded me in routine and gave me a place where I could lose myself in a pastime I love, and share that love with others. OK, yes, true, I don't always *love* crosswords. Sometimes it's more hate-love or love-hate or "Why are you being like this, you stupid puzzle!?" It ain't all positive vibes, as you know. But I realized last year that part of what makes this blog so fun for me, and what makes it a solace to many readers, is the sense of commiseration it provides. Sometimes the puzzle thrills you, and maybe I agree with you, and maybe I don't; and sometimes it infuriates you, and maybe I agree with you, and maybe I don't. But either way, the blog is here; it's *always* here. You get to have your feelings validated, or you get to shake your head at my errant judgment and often breathtaking ignorance, but either way, you get to share an experience that's an important part of your daily life, and maybe you learn something new. Above all, I hope you feel that there is a real person with a real life and real emotions and (very) real human flaws who's telling you what it was *really* like for him to solve the puzzle. I never wanted to be an expert, offering some kind of bloodless know-it-all advice and analysis. I wanted blood. Blood on the page. There will be blood! ... But also, music videos. And Words of the Day. And, if you hang around long enough, cat pictures. Like this one:


This is Ida (she put herself in the bin, I swear). Ida is the happy sequel to last year's grief. At the beginning of January, I was mourning. By the end of January, I was still mourning, but now I had a new companion (as did my other cat, Alfie, who *really* needed one). Why am I talking about my cats? Because they are constant, they give shape and rhythm to my day, and I love them even if they sometimes drive me crazy. Just like crossword puzzles! (See that! Segue! This is why you should pay me the big bucks!) 

However much I love writing this blog (and I do, a lot), it is, in fact, a job. This blog has covered the NYTXW every day, without fail, for 17 years, and except for two days a month (when my regular stand-ins Mali and Clare write for me), and an occasional vacation or sick day (when I hire substitutes to write for me), it's me who's doing the writing. Every day. At very ... let's say, inconvenient hours (my alarm goes off most mornings at 3:45am). Over the years, I have received all kinds of advice about "monetizing" the blog, invitations to turn it into a subscription-type deal à la Substack or Patreon. But that sort of thing has never felt right for me. I like being out here on Main, on this super old-school blogging platform, just giving it away for free and relying on conscientious addicts like yourselves to pay me what you think the blog's worth. It's just nicer that way. 

How much should you give? Whatever you think the blog is worth to you on a yearly basis. Whatever that amount is is fantastic. Some people refuse to pay for what they can get for free. Others just don't have money to spare. All are welcome to read the blog—the site will always be open and free. But if you are able to express your appreciation monetarily, here are three options. First, a Paypal button (which you can also find in the blog sidebar on the homepage):

Second, a mailing address (checks can be made out to "Michael Sharp" or "Rex Parker"):

Rex Parker c/o Michael Sharp
54 Matthews St
Binghamton, NY 13905

The third, increasingly popular option is Venmo; if that's your preferred way of moving money around, my handle is @MichaelDavidSharp (the last four digits of my phone are 4878, in case Venmo asks you, which I guess it does sometimes, when it's not trying to push crypto on you, what the hell?!)

All Paypal contributions will be gratefully acknowledged by email. All Venmo contributions will get a little heart emoji, at a minimum :) All snail mail contributions will be gratefully acknowledged with hand-written postcards. I. Love. Snail Mail. I love seeing your gorgeous handwriting and then sending you my awful handwriting. It's all so wonderful. My daughter (Ella Egan) has once again designed my annual thank-you cards, and once again those cards feature (wait for it) cats! My cats: Alfie & Ida. This year, an elegant set of five!



These really capture the combination of beauty and goofiness that I love in cats (and puzzles, frankly). I'd say "Collect All Five!" but every snail-mail contributor will get just one and (hopefully) like it! Please note: I don't keep a "mailing list" and don't share my contributor info with anyone. And if you give by snail mail and (for some reason) don't want a thank-you card, just indicate "NO CARD." Again, as ever, I'm so grateful for your readership and support. Please know that your support means a lot to me and my family. Now on to today's puzzle... 

• • •

This one is slim (14 rather than 15 squares wide), but it did not play particularly fast for me. Lots and lots of names took care of that. Names are always extreme hit/miss where solving speed goes—power boost if you know them, brick wall if you don't. Actually, there's also stuff like BIFF, where you kinda sorta know it, but need a cross or two to job your memory. Ask me how many tries my brain made at SOLOMON NORTHUP today, yeesh. The SOLOMON part came easily enough, but first of all my brain just yelling "SOLOMON GRUNDY!" at me, and second of all, even with NOR- in place I kept missing: NORTON? NORTHUM? Even the correct answer (NORTHUP) really wants to be something else (NORTHRUP is more common, isn't it???). Anyway, not the answer's fault. Just pointing out how names can be time-killers and puzzle-slowers, and from MIKA to AISHA, I got somewhat to very held up at least a few times. (Really really tried to erase all memories of "Morning Joe" but ... apparently I'm going to have to try harder—no offense to the people involved with that show, which I haven't looked in on since 2016, but wall-to-wall Trump content is not what I'm looking for ... ever). As for the puzzle's theme, as with yesterday, I don't think I quite "get" the full meaning of the revealer, so I feel like I'm inventing one. I see that there are "two" "days" in each themer, but I don't know what to do, "phonetically," with the "S" in TUESDAY. Move it to the end, and you've got "two days," which is what we see in each answer. But keep it where it is, and it's "two's day" or maybe it's "twos day," a day for twos, or pairs, of which there is one (i.e. one pair of "days") in each themer. Otherwise you've got "two is days" and aside from not really making sense, somehow I don't think the NYT is going to go in for the grammar on that one. 


The themers themselves feel very ... well ... SOLOMON NORTHUP (despite my failure to get ahold of it cleanly) is solid, but the others feel kinda makeshift. I might (might!) give you FOLLOW THE SUN, but in the past tense (which it obviously has to be in to pick up the "WED."), it feels less ... good. In fact, both FOLLOWED THE SUN and SAT IN THE FRIDGE are giving off mild "ATE A SANDWICH" vibes (ATE A SANDWICH being my paradigmatic example of a verb phrase that has no business trying to stand on its own in a grid). I had real trouble parsing SAT IN THE FRIDGE, because my brain never left the grocery store. I was imagining products still on the shelf (nothing in the clue about perishables). I can imagine there are constructors looking at SAT IN THE FRIDGE and thinking "well, better go add SITS IN THE FRIDGE to my wordlist ... it's 15! Might come in handy some day." Please resist.


I got held up today by game stuff too. Even though I made ROTO my Word of the Day sometime very recently, I completely blanked when I hit 37A: Fantasy sports scoring standard, informally (ROTO) [note: the ensportification of ROTO is only very recent—last three appearances have gone that way, clue-wise, but before that is was mostly [___-tiller], [___-Rooter], or (further back) [Old newspaper section] (short for "rotogravure")]. If Fantasy *baseball* had been specifically mentioned, I might have had a shot, since it's "Rotisserie League Baseball" from which the term ROTO originally developed. But as clued, my brain just looked at me and shrugged. Same with 8D: Rank's counterpart, on a chessboard (FILE). If "on a chessboard" had been left off entirely, I might've gotten it easily, but since it was not left off entirely, I assumed I was dealing with some technical chess-y thing, and not being a chess player, I had no idea. But it's just the FILE from the ordinary term "rank and FILE," which I was unaware had anything to do with chess. I thought it was military originally, referring to ... what, non-officers? Hang on ... "ordinary members of an organization as opposed to its leaders." Yes, that's what I was thinking. But chessboard? Well whaddya know: "The columns of a chessboard are known as files, the rows are known as ranks, and the lines of adjoining same-coloured squares (each running from one edge of the board to an adjacent edge) are known as diagonals" (wikipedia). Definitely a case of added information being totally unnecessary and confusing, but congrats if you're a rejoicing chess fan, today is truly your day.


WENT KABOOM is good, though it only makes me think about how GO KABOOM is better. I can't even remember seeing G-NOTE ... ever (46D: Thousand-dollar bill, slangily). Actually, I'm sure I *have* seen it (you see a lot of things in 30+ years of solving), but ... Do people carry those? C-NOTE is common, as it is a denomination that is ... common ($100). But G-NOTE, yeesh. This is only the third G-NOTE of the Shortz Era, and the first in nearly a decade. Whereas C-NOTE ... well, you don't see it so much in the past few years (as constructors have gotten somewhat better at keeping their crosswordese to a minimum), but for the first two decades of the Shortz Era you saw it quite a bit. It's got 48 total Shortz Era appearances. C-NOTE 48, G-NOTE 3. That's a rout. That answer wasn't hard ("G" is a common abbr. for a thousand, "C" a hundred, and there's no confusion in my mind about that (for once!)). But the G-NOTE did make me go "really?" Apparently, yes, really. Elsewhere, though, the fill gets a lot brighter, with HOUND DOG, SHOT PUTTERFLIRTED, and CHILI OIL really spicing things up. I even liked OF YORE, not because I like prepositional phrases so much, but because I find that particular prepositional phrase funny, and handy (I use it fairly regularly when talking about stale fill and themes). Lastly, a tip of the hat to that clue on ALOHA (7D: Lei man's term?). If I gotta endure another ALOHA, that is how I want to endure it—with extreme punnage. Overall, this had a little more bite than your typical early-week puzzle, and certainly put up a lot more resistance than yesterday's nice but exceedingly easy puzzle. 

[Please forgive this '80s indulgence, but the dancing ... I could not resist the dancing...]

Still burning off the Holiday Pet Pics so ... let's keep going:

[Here's Clover after devouring an elf that tried to "invade" the house (thanks, Robin)]

[This is Macron, who is apparently a dog actor or model or politician. He got his name, I'm told, because, "like the French President he is smart, handsome and loves older women." (thanks, Jon)]

[This is Sasuke, lying atop a 21yo who is home for the holidays (thanks, Andrea)]

[Cats like Spot here know they are gifts and act accordingly (thanks, Peter)]

[Hey, Django, you OK buddy?]

[Django apparently had one hell of a New Year's Eve (thanks, Kennan!)]

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]

70 comments:

Bob Mills 5:43 AM  

Finished it quickly once MON and THU helped with SOLOMONNORTHUP (whom I wasn't familiar with). I like theme puzzles whereby the theme helps the solve, and this was a good example.

The crosses were easy, I thought, because of a relative absence of misdirect clues.

Natasha 5:52 AM  

Pretty glaring and unforced error, re: FOLLOWEDTHESUN and 53d: "Parts of the 'Mona Lisa' that seem to follow you around".

Tannis 6:35 AM  

Best I came up with for the revealer was to take the s out of Tuesday to form a three-letter abbreviation. Phonetically, you're left with today. This being my first five-day week of work since just before Christmas, I could use a reminder that today is Tuesday, but the revealer still seems clunky to me.

SouthsideJohnny 6:43 AM  

Picked up the theme as an afterthought. Did notice the stress in the grid from the tough theme constraints (needing theme entries with the double-abbreviations gave us the NORThUP dude, for example). Overall, a pretty workmanlike and serviceable effort today - two days in a row, and boy, I will rejoice at hard work and competence every day of the week if we are ever treated to that as standard fare instead of some of the convoluted nonsense that frequently makes its way to the NYT buffet table.

pabloinnh 7:05 AM  

OK Tuesday, or Twosday or whatever. Saw where we were going with FOLLOWEDTHRESUN, and looking for the other days of the week was helpful, especially for SOLOMONNORTHUP, whose acquaintance I made today. How do you do? And any version of "I'll Follow the Sun" always makes me think of the Beatles song, which I invariably sing as "I'll Swallow the Fun", because I, at least, find it amusing.

We just celebrated the 75th anniversary of our little Christmas pageant and many former members were invited to reappear, including the men who had portrayed the Magi, who were listed in the program as Kings OFYORE, which I thought was elegant. Much better than ex-kings or some such.

Found out what a ROTO is and met Ms. Harris but today's shout out has to go to long lost friend IBEX. Yo! Where ya been? Anyway, welcome back.

Nice work, AW. The Assembled Weekdays made a nice theme, and thanks for all the fun.

Anonymous 7:05 AM  

The plural of octopus is not octopi. Convince me otherwise

smalltowndoc 7:06 AM  

Are we going to address the elephant, er…octopus in the room? Well, I SHALL.
We’ve visited this controversy (actually, it ought not be controversial) in times OF YORE, back when there were KMARTS, and I think we came to an agreement about the proper pluralization of octopus, although this forum nearly WENT KABOOM!

To reiterate: the plural is "octopuses, *not* OCTOPI ! Only an ASS or DORK would believe otherwise.

All, in all, I liked this puzzle. It was clear what was going on early on although I was wondering where the TUE was. Was it going to be a revealer? Yes! But, one wonders, shouldn’t this have been a THURSDAY puzzle, when you think of it.

Rex, thanks for the “I’ll Follow the Sun" clip. One of my favorite Beatles ballads; one that immediately springs to mind whenever I come across "heliotropism".

CF 7:07 AM  

“The plural of octopus is not octopi.” Change my mind

JHC 7:13 AM  

Since OFL brought up the whole "Santa is just white" nonsense in the Word of the Day section, I give you this brilliant response:
https://youtu.be/7aQYn3kMqzQ?si=OItMHKdBkRdZtsfC

D.M. Kennedy 7:15 AM  

I suspect the principal reason Rex has rarely seen the term G-NOTE is because the last time the $1,000 bill was issued was 1969, after which they were discontinued. And they stopped printing them in 1945, so even those in circulation in 1969 were pretty ragged, and few and far between.

While still legal tender if anyone happens to have a a pile of $1.000 bills stashed under a mattress, the term G-NOTE is, like the bills, hardly at all in circulation due to the fact that it is a rare person alive who has ever actually laid eyes on one, much less been carrying any around in their pockets.

JJK 7:21 AM  

A bit harder than the usual Tuesday for me, I guess because of all the names, as Rex notes. I guess GNOTE is a thing (but really, who carries around thousand dollar bills? Or even talks about them? But people do talk about things costing in the thousands, and then I’ve always heard “k” used. “My new car cost 35 K”. It could be that only computer scientists use that term (am married to one and sometimes, after these many years, I’m not always sure if some geeky term is actually in common usage)

Alan B 7:37 AM  

The circumfrence of an 8 in pizza is octopi

Lewis 7:42 AM  

My favorite part of the puzzle was its spark. Spark coming from the three spanning theme answers that have never appeared in the NYT or in any of the major crossword venues, for that matter. And, by definition, their clues are first-timers as well.

Lovely answers – BOCCE, BIFF, I ROBOT, CHILI OIL, HOUND DOG – added to the bounce.

But the liveliest, the best spark for me, was another never-in-a-major-crossword answer, not to mention the embodiment of spark: WENT KABOOM. A fabulous addition to crossword’s family of answers. That one drew a smile and a big “Hah!”

Sweet when a puzzle shimmers like this one does, when it’s “not just another crossword puzzle”. Thank you, Adam, for making it!

Son Volt 7:46 AM  

Theme seems a little contrived - but the odd shaped grid is so elegantly filled I’ll give it a pass. CHILI OIL, HOUND DOG, WENT KABOOM etc are all top notch. I’ll let other argue the plural of OCTOPus.

A wonderful Waits cover

@Z would have liked the Asimov entry. Does cumin belong in GUAC? The NOLITA fabrication has always made cringe. Like the switch today from our crossword friend I.M. to the Canadian province.

Pleasant Tuesday morning solve.

The RETURN of PAN

Anonymous 7:58 AM  

Exactly. It’s octopuses.

Dr.A 8:03 AM  

I like this theme, you can sing it to the tune of a Bruce Springsteen song (or Patti Smith depending on how you like your music), “Take the S out of Tuesday and it’s TWO days.” Or something like that.

Anonymous 8:03 AM  

Fun fact - Sojourner Truth has the same number of letters as SOLOMON NORTHUP. Bet no one else made that error.

Anonymous 8:14 AM  

DNF 'cause didn't know MIKA (embarassing, that), and thought it WENTBABOOM

mmorgan 8:26 AM  

I had the same hang-up as Rex on NORTHUP and I couldn’t make any sense of the revealer. And I barely do now. But overall, this puzzle and I had a very pleasant time together.

Barbara S. 8:50 AM  

How apt is this? Happy National Word Nerd Day!

Straightforward and solid – liked it. The theme did help in the solve, although when I came across the T in SOLOMON NORTHUP, I briefly tried to make that syllable include TUE. For [First phase of a home reno], I had the DE in place and really wanted the answer to be DEbt. Loved WENT KABOOM!

@Rex, I assume your brain fixated on this SOLOMON Grundy and not the DC Comics character.

Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy,
Born on a Monday,
Christened on Tuesday,
Married on Wednesday,
Took ill on Thursday,
Grew worse on Friday,
Died on Saturday,
Buried on Sunday.
That was the end
Of Solomon Grundy.


Presumably not in the same week. Or was it?


UNICLUES:

1. I’ll.
2. Drink of choice for The Girl Who Cain’t Say No (to Dr. Pepper).
3. Where you’ll find yourself when the photographers snap us on the Avenue, Fifth Avenue.
4. Very, very bad and without any chance of ending up at the Pearly Gates.
5. Dick and Jane.
6. Hot molluscs.
7. Is he only in it for the money?

1. ‘I SHALL’ ELIDED
2. ADO ANNE SODA (~)
3. ROTO OF YORE
4. ST. PETE? NO HOPE.
5. SIXER PAGES
6. CHILI OIL OCTOPI
7. ELTON: “AMO G-NOTE.”

RooMonster 9:00 AM  

Hey All !
Noticed the short grid today, only 14 wide. Gets you to the three grid spanning Themers. Figured out the circled squares first, but before getting to the Revealer, said, "Huh, where's TUE?" Got to the Revealer, and said, "Ah, there it is!"

TUESDAY, or Two Days in each Themer. On a Tuesday. Meta?

Puz was a bit tougher than a typical TuesPuz. Took a guess at the G of GNOTE. Since $1000 bills aren't made/used anymore, the G has almost left the ole brain. They should bring the GNOTE back. It was only discontinued to make the drug industry not as easy to conduct business, ala having to carry 10 $100 bills as opposed to 1 $1000 bill. At least that's what I read somewhere. Obviously it was ineffective. Bring back the GNOTE!

SAT/FRI Themers could've been:
Making breakfast at dawn?
FRIED EGGS AT SIX
😁

How many ASSes do we have so far this year? At least three, no?

See ya. Happy TUE.

Five F's
RooMonster
DarrinV

Georgia 9:08 AM  

Ha!

Georgia 9:13 AM  

I came here eager to understand why Tuesday, phonetically, explained the other 6 days in 3 letters each. You can't write "phonetically" and expect the reader to take the "s" out. And, regardless, the explanation posited so far makes this puzzle theme whacko weak.

Nancy 9:14 AM  

Note to self (yet again!): I SHALL not write in any answer in dark ink without first checking at least one crossing letter -- not even on a TUESDAY, which I assumed would be easy, only it wasn't all that easy.

I wrote in "I SWEAR" for the "formal words of commitment" without even noticing the awkward CW leading off 3D, and ended up with a very messy grid that I could have easily avoided.

My other write-over, which SAT IN THE grid longer, was DID It for "finished off". But who was this SOLOMON tORT-something-or-other who wrote "Twelve Years a Slave"? How could I possibly not have heard of him? It took me a long time to fix the error.

A well-crafted puzzle with a cute (if ungrammatical) revealer. Even when you're only speaking phonetically, I think you mean TWO DAYS, not TWOS DAY.

But it doesn't matter. It was a fun puzzle and it was pretty crunchy for a Tuesday. Which I always regard as a feature and not a bug.



RooMonster 9:21 AM  

Oh, and plural of Octopus is Octopodes. C'mon, long time Rex bloggers!
🤣

RooMonster Surprised This Didn't Bring @Z Out Of Hiding Guy

Druid 9:23 AM  

Why would you think of uneaten food as still in the market? All food in the market is uneaten; and unavailable to be eaten until you buy it, take it home, and put it in the fridge. Where it may sit uneaten.

Beezer 9:36 AM  

Nice Tuesday puzzle! For some reason my mind is a little stuck on the fact that I was a sentient being when Lew Alcindor played college basketball. Now I see him on Afib med commercials. My only hesitation was with DAO because I skimmed over the “Pinyin” part of the clue. Not that I knew all the PPP, but crosses were fair!

Smith 9:38 AM  

Growing up we had NORTHUP neighbors, so the "more common" per @Rex NorthRup has always sounded odd to me. Saw WED and SUN but didn't think days of the week at first. Reminds me of when I had to teach ESL to K (why I retired); they said they knew the days of the week, but what they actually knew was the opening lines of a chant someone made up to the tune of the Addams Family theme, like this: "Days of the week, days of the week, clap clap, days of the week, days of the week, clap clap" but not the rest which went "There's Monday and there's Tuesday" etc. You can sing it for yourself.

@Pablo re accents on a PC
This is one thing that is easier on a Mac, although in general I prefer a PC. I now have one of each and accents on the PC was the one thing I really found irritating! I ended up switching to the International Keyboard. You can Google how to do that. It's easier than learning hex codes for all the possibilities, and also easier than doing the Insert|Symbol routine if you need accents frequently (German and Spanish here). Buena suerte!

Whatsername 10:03 AM  

A quite breezy Tuesday which I had ended up loving for its combination of a smile-inducing theme and just the right amount of resistance. I didn’t have to work at it but I did need to concentrate and focus more than I sometimes do in an early week puzzle. Thanks Adam, I had fun with this one.

Whatsername 10:33 AM  

@RP: Thanks for sharing Ida with us this morning. You must be a pretty awesome Cat Dad to get a head bump like that.

@Barbara S: Greetings! National Word Nerd Day?? I knew if I waited long enough, there would eventually be a day in my honor. 😊

pabloinnh 10:45 AM  

@Smith-Thanks for all the useful information. the International Keyboard sounds intriguing, and if it's over my head I'll get my son the tech wizard to help me out. (He's a web architect, which I have never asked him to even try to explain.)

Gracias otra vez.

Gary Jugert 11:02 AM  

Whoops, ELISED isnt ELIDED and so EDISON wasn't happening. Oh well. Never really liked him anyway with all these light bulbs everywhere these days. You can't turn around at night without seeing something anymore. Growing up we had one cardboard sleeve of light bulbs. Four soft white sixty watters. Now I have a whole plastic tub of bulbs and nothing fits anything else and I am pretty sure some of these only fit sockets in my old house. Thanks a lot Alva. I once fancied myself a writer and carrying a candle over to a small desk by the window where my quill and ink pot awaited seems like I could've made magic, but being stuck under LEDs meant only stupid things came out of my brain. You can keep your EDISON New Jersey. Or dump him in NOLITA or any other place named with a random collection of letters dreamt up by real estate developers to rent overpriced shoddily built apartments to 20-somethings with credit cards carrying them to eateries with $18 appletinis in nearby fake downtowns.

I think this is a bad puzzle, and the theme is a yawner, but it does have KABOOM and ROBOT in it, so I am inclined to give it a free pass.

Tee-Hee: BIFF ASS OASIS ... Strip club for a thug. Seriously, hundreds of submissions a week and my syrupy delicious slush pile editor likes the BIFF ASS OASIS one. I wave right back at you my favorite graduate of 4th grade.

Uniclues:

1 When the machines rise.
2 Nickname for location in Florida to give up.
3 Dinner. Or, for the less murdery, molluscs known for spicy lifestyles.
4 Downed diner drink.
5 That which preceeded finding two fingers in the driveway.

1 I ROBOT TUESDAY
2 NO HOPE ST. PETE (~)
3 CHILI OIL OCTOPI
4 DID IN ICE-T
5 WENT KABOOM FUN

My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Typical activity done near a dumpster. JACK AND COKE NAP.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Donna 11:04 AM  

Yes, Sojourner Truth before SOLOMON NORTHUP.

G. Weissman 11:12 AM  

I’m periodically surprised by what passes muster (or is even celebrated) here. TUESDAY is simply not the phonetic hint “two days.” If you can pretend it is then I guess anything goes and who cares anyway. Crossing a proper name solvers are not expected to know with an abbreviated Canadian province is just horse pucky, to put it kindly.

Anonymous 11:41 AM  

I understood that words originating from Latin end in an “i” when pluralized, such as radius/radii, but words originating from Greek do not. Octopus is Greek, hence octopuses and octopodes are correct. However, Miriam-Webster said that is a mistaken belief and these days practically anything goes. Go figure!

bocamp 11:46 AM  

Thx Nate, an apt TwoSDAY puz! 😊

Downs-o (oh so close)!

tAO before DAO. Was suspicious of AtO (thot maybe N___ or ___Z, etal). Did run the alpha, and did think of DAO, but still went with tAO. In retrospect, the tip off should have been 'Pinyin', as '"The Way," in China' (w/o 'Pinyin') would have been to me more decidedly tAO. I knew tAO is pronounced with a 'D', but stubbornly stuck with the 't'. 😔 Here's an excellent vid that covers the subject in detail, even mentioning 'Pinyin': 'Is it Taoism or Daoism? Chi Kung or Qi Gong? Master Gu explains'.

Did have one other guess (correctly): the 'A' for AISHA 'Harris' who, by the way, suggested the moniker, 'Penguin Clause' in her 'Slate' article:

"Santa Claus Should Not Be a White Man Anymore
It’s time to give St. Nick his long overdue makeover."

"When I was a kid, I knew two different Santa Clauses. The first had a fat belly, rosy cheeks, a long white beard, and skin as pink as bubble gum. He was omnipresent, visiting my pre-school and the local mall, visible in all of my favorite Christmas specials.

Then there was the Santa in my family’s household, in the form of ornaments, cards, and holiday figurines. A near-carbon copy of the first one—big belly, rosy cheeks, long white beard: check, check, check. But his skin was as dark as mine.

Seeing two different Santas was bewildering. Eventually I asked my father what Santa really looked like. Was he brown, like us? Or was he really a white guy?

My father replied that Santa was every color. Whatever house he visited, jolly old St. Nicholas magically turned into the likeness of the family that lived there."

Long story, short: AISHA finally arrives at the most sensible solution: Penguin Claus. 🐧 🦞

Number 1 in line for 'Twelve Years a Slave' audiobook.

Also, time to re-read the I, ROBOT collection.

As always, finding downs-o an exhilarating experience. Enjoyed td's workout very much! :)
___
Croce's 874 was on the easy-med side (2 1/2 NYT Sat.). On to Elizabeth Gorski's Mon. New Yorker 👍, with
___
Peace 🕊 🇺🇦 ~ Compassion ~ Tolerance ~ Kindness ~ Freudenfreude & a DAP to all 👊 🙏

egsforbreakfast 11:47 AM  

I used to have a job where I could URN a GNOTE every TUESDAY. There was no end of wrangling with the boss (a real ASS) about whether this meant I got paid once per week or every two days. We'd always end up exchanging cross words.

Hey, Adam Wagner. I'm a fan OFYORE puzzle.

Gary Jugert 12:05 PM  

@Barbara S 8:50 AM
Haha! Delightful. You always conquer so many I stare at and give up on. You succeed where I slink away. And thanks for Solomon Grundy. What a life he had!

jae 12:08 PM  

Easy-medium, but it’s a truncated grid. dAO before TAO was it for erasures. Did not know AISHA as clued….Tyler, however, would have worked. SOLOMON was a WOE for me too.

Interesting set of theme answers and some fin long downs, liked it.

Carola 12:15 PM  

Having WED and SUN already slotted into the calendar definitely helped me get SOLOMON NORTHUP, although for a while I thought the name might be SOLOMON [initial] aRTHUr. SAT IN THE FRIDGE got a laugh: M&A has a "staff weeject" category, but I can't remember if there's also one for "air of desperation." Lots to like elsewhere, from SHOTPUTTER and WENT KABOOM to CHILI OIL and HOUND DOG to the GUAC OF YORE in the FRIDGE.

Gary Jugert 12:28 PM  

@Anonymous 8:03 AM
Yup, I too wrote in Sojourner Truth off the SO. It fit quite nicely.

Gary Jugert 12:34 PM  

@Smith 9:38 AM
I fell a couple days behind on the blog and just this morning found your kind note on Sunday. I will be floating on air today, belated but delighted. Thank you.

Masked and Anonymous 12:47 PM  

Day abbreves theme, huh? … Kinda bland, but I reckon the main sellin point was havin two of them abbreves in each grid-spanner themer, together with that TUESDAY revealer. Revealer sounds like TWOS DAY, which is indeed a "phonetic hint", albeit slightly weird, to what the themers are up to.

The Circles helped m&e with my solvequest a bit, fillin in some letters of the no-knows SOLOMONNORTHUP & AISHA.

staff weeject pick: DAO. News to M&A. Need to bone up on my Pinyins a lot more.

Kinda liked that SAIDAH clue. Also partial to WENTKABOOM and HOUNDDOG.

Thanx, Mr. Wagner dude.

Masked & Anonymo5Us


**gruntz**

jb129 1:11 PM  

I posted earlier but got a BLOOP so maybe it didn't happen. I didn't totally get the puzzle, but then I did - an interesting solve, but I'm ambivalent about it 🫤

okanaganer 1:11 PM  

I tried downs only, but got stuck on what turned out to be two wrong words, ASS and the OIL in CHILI OIL. Just too many unknown names: NOLITA, MIKA, SOLOMON NORTHUP, and SAIDAH which looked like a name but turned out to be SAID AH. bocamp, I don't know where you get the patience to keep at it!

Happy National Word Nerd Day @Barbara S! This morning, reading January's Harpers magazine I saw an ad for this book: Crosswordese which I had not yet heard of.

[Spelling Bee: Mon 0; Sun -1 missing this 8er for not the first time.]

Beezer 1:14 PM  

@Roo, I also thought of the great OCTOPodes debate when @Z was here!

Anonymous 2:26 PM  

Actually it can be Octopi, Octopuses or Octopodes

GILL I. 2:29 PM  

What has eight arms, three hearts, uses camouflage and has a very confusing plural form?
OCTOPUSES. However, from what I read, OCTOPI is now perfectly acceptable. You know....English evolves to conform to whatever you want. I shall now not commentate any further.

TUESDAY did its thing. You start me with BOCCE and end with PAGES...and I will like this. I did...

Not sure how the reveal has anything to do with WED SUN MON THU SAT and THU. Great name for a bar, don't you think?

I liked DAO, although I had TAO. What's the difference between CHILI and Chile ? Does one have beans?

beverley 3:09 PM  

The plural of OCTOPUS is OCTOPUSES. OCTOPI is simply incorrect.

bocamp 4:48 PM  

@okanaganer (1:11 PM)

Patience = time; having 16-17 hrs per day of t = lots of p! I love tough challenges, and have the time to pursue them. It's knowing when to pack it in that's the hardest part, e.g., last week's Fri.-Sun. 🤔

As an aside, speaking of 'packing it in', I stopped doing the SB bc it was near to becoming an obsession, taking up way to many hours per day. I ended it when I put together a string of 22, albeit with an (*), since a handful of them were tabbed – one of which took me the better part of 5 days.

Part of the fun is allowing the stumpers to 'incubate' or 'marinate', then at some point experiencing that serendipitous moment of inspiration.⚡️ The other perk is that with downs-only, the time clock of of no importance.

Btw, getting the 'o' for CHILI OIL was my final entry, spoiled somewhat by not going with ADO, in lieu of AtO.
___
Peace 🕊 🇺🇦 ~ Compassion ~ Tolerance ~ Kindness ~ Freudenfreude & a DAP to all 👊 🙏

jaf 5:00 PM  

@beverly: Not according to Merriam-Webster:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/octopi

Anonymous 6:30 PM  

Or @LMS, who is much missed.

Anonymous 6:45 PM  

Re Anonymous 7:05 AM comment about octopus plural. We have MANY discussions about this issue on this blog over the years. But fortunately none recently.
Since octopus is of Ancient Greek origin, we have been reminded that the Greek plural in the transliterated form is octopodes .
However, the Times puzzle is in English not Ancient Greek so octopuses is more appropriate.
OCTOPI is what is called a hyper correction Like using I when grammar says use me. Here confusing Latin and Greek. Doesn’t bother me that much. Common enough run in a puzzle? Matter of opinion. So I won’t convince you otherwise. But octopodes is silly in English.

Anonymous 6:47 PM  

Agree with Anonymous 2:26 PM about the plural of octopus. All 3 are used

dgd 6:57 PM  

Smith 9:38 AM
I thanked you yesterday but very late. Hope you see this. Thanks again for the tip on accents in the I phone keyboard

Anonymous 7:04 PM  

I agreed with Rex. Nice change of pace from I.M._ _ _. to have the abbreviation for a Canadian province. Certainly not obscure. Anne of Green Gables and all that.

Anoa Bob 7:21 PM  

Having BIFF, CARLO, ELTON and LEW surrounding the six-letter partial I SHALL was an ominous sign of darker things to come. Prospects brightened somewhat when a flower's heliotropism clued 18A FOLLOWED THE SUN. The gloom of doom returned, however, when the second grid spanner was an author I didn't know who wrote something I was not familiar with. At this point I gave up hope and abandoned ship.

When I got here and saw that SAT IN THE FRIDGE was the third grid spanner, I'm glad I didn't spend any more time on this puzzle. Is that not about the most commonplace, uninteresting 14-letter phrase you can come up with? And to my ear the TUES- in TUESDAY rhymes more with "chews" than with "twos". If it rhymed with "twos" then it would be spelled TOOSDAY, right?

Maybe if the abbreviated days had at least come in order leading up to TUESDAY....

johnk 11:57 AM  

Well, it's WEDnesday, not TUEsday. I solved it yesterday, but waited to come here and gloat over my speedy solve. So it SAT IN THE FRIDGE for a day. That way, I could offer this clue:
"Reply by some when asked what quality they'd prefer in a mate?"
WE'D VALUE VIRTUE.

bigsteve46 5:06 PM  

Hey Rex ...

I'll make a contribution if you'll stop already, with the dog pictures!!

You seen one dog, you seen them all

From the WCFALA

(W.C. Fields Animal Lovers Association)

Iydianblues 10:30 PM  

On octopi/octopuses/octopodes, and Greek vs Latin…. Don’t even get me started on the word “epicenter”…. The greek prefix “epi” means “above” or “over”. So if you believe that Paris is the epicenter of the arts, that means that you believe that the true epicenter of the arts is down deep below Paris, in those regions frequented by the Thenardier gang….

kitshef 8:05 PM  

I thought this was pretty awful. The theme having two sort-of phrases and an unknown person seems like a complete failure. The revealer not working, not even close enough for crosswords, ditto.

spacecraft 10:49 AM  

This one was not much FUN. While the theme is overly simple, aided unnecessarily by those awful circles, the fill was...well, I had NOHOPE of finishing without a few fortunate guesses. PPP packed--and not all of them gettable, to say the least. BIFF & WENTKABOOM were nice, saving a SHOT [with the] PUTTER. Bogey.

Wordle birdie.

Anonymous 11:13 AM  


"Both octopuses and octopi are acceptable plurals for octopus. Of the two, octopuses is the simpler and more commonly used. The proposed plural octopodes is based on the plural of the Ancient Greek word from which octopus ultimately derives. But it’s rarely used outside of the octopuses vs. octopi debate."

It's a puzzle why people get so worked up over this non-issue.

Anonymous 12:00 PM  

Boring themer and the names of the week aren’t even in order leading up to TUESDAY. DAO is not a real word. It’s almost always Tao except when a computer program provides the constructor with a three letter non-word to fill the grid.

Burma Shave 12:15 PM  

TUESDAY FUN

I FOLLOWED NORAH to THE DANCE,
we FLIRTED IN THE room,
she SAID, “What we DIDIN YORE pants,
I HOPE it WENTKABOOM.”

--- SOLOMON EDISON

Anonymous 1:25 PM  

My wife’s Greek teacher said “only ignorami say octopi”

Anonymous 1:41 PM  

Easy puzzle riddled with infuriating unknowns. No fun, just irritation.

Anonymous 4:52 PM  

I like my octopus octopied when pluralized.

Anonymous 6:13 PM  

Yet another mediocre offering. When will the NYT start publishing good puzzles again?

Diana, LIW 6:27 PM  

Yes, it certainly is TUESDAY.

Pass the GUAC.

Lady Di

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP