Kyrgyzstan mountain range / WED 1-10-24 / 2007 Michael Moore documentary about health care / "Magic that works," per Vonnegut / Preschool teacher's mantra / Less sharp, as footage

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Constructor: Chloe Revery and Alissa Revness

Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium


THEME: SHARING IS CARING (60A: Preschool teacher's mantra ... or a hint to the answers to the starred clues) — "SH" is changed to "C" in familiar phrases, resulting in wacky phrases, clued wackily ("?"-style):

Theme answers:
  • TAMING OF THE CREW (17A: *Job for a coxswain with rowdy rowers?)
  • NO GREAT CAKES (23A: *Review for a so-so bakery?)
  • GIFT COP (38A: *Person who assigns the order of opening presents?)
  • GETS INTO CAPE (49A: *Completes a superhero transformation?)
Word of the Day: "no great shakes" (23A) —
Nothing out of the ordinary, mediocre, as in 
I'm afraid the new pitcher is no great shakes, or What I did with this decorating project was no great shakes. This term possibly alludes to the shaking of dice, which most often yields a mediocre result, but there is no evidence to support this theory. [Early 1800s] (dictionary.com) 

The most common suggestion is that this idiom arose from playing dice, where if you shake the dice and have a bad throw you have had ‘no great shake,’ or the odd but apparently common notion that if you shake the device you will always have a bad throw. There are other idioms using the word shake that seem also to be related to dice:

A fair shake – a fair chance or a fair bargain.
In two shakes – in a moment.

At one time, no great shake may have been used to mean ‘a bad bargain’ making it the opposite of a fair shake.

Another, quite old suggestion that turned up in the literature search is that it arose from the shaking of walnut trees to dislodge the nuts. If the walnut crop is not good, there will be ‘no great shakes.’

As well, at one time, it was thought that the idiom came from the idea that you could judge someone’s character from their handshake.

The most credible origin seems to be the first. (idioms.com)

• • •

***ATTENTION: READERS AND FELLOW SOLVERS*** : Hello from Central New York and the first properly wintry week of the season! It's early January, which means it's time once again for my annual week-long pitch for financial contributions to the blog. Every year I ask readers to consider what the blog is worth to them on an annual basis and give accordingly. So ... 17 years ... not bad. At this time last year, I was recovering from COVID and still dealing with the very fresh grief brought on by the untimely death of my cat, Olive. I was very grateful for the blog at that point, since it grounded me in routine and gave me a place where I could lose myself in a pastime I love, and share that love with others. OK, yes, true, I don't always *love* crosswords. Sometimes it's more hate-love or love-hate or "Why are you being like this, you stupid puzzle!?" It ain't all positive vibes, as you know. But I realized last year that part of what makes this blog so fun for me, and what makes it a solace to many readers, is the sense of commiseration it provides. Sometimes the puzzle thrills you, and maybe I agree with you, and maybe I don't; and sometimes it infuriates you, and maybe I agree with you, and maybe I don't. But either way, the blog is here; it's *always* here. You get to have your feelings validated, or you get to shake your head at my errant judgment and often breathtaking ignorance, but either way, you get to share an experience that's an important part of your daily life, and maybe you learn something new. Above all, I hope you feel that there is a real person with a real life and real emotions and (very) real human flaws who's telling you what it was *really* like for him to solve the puzzle. I never wanted to be an expert, offering some kind of bloodless know-it-all advice and analysis. I wanted blood. Blood on the page. There will be blood! ... But also, music videos. And Words of the Day. And, if you hang around long enough, cat pictures. Like this one:


This is Ida (she put herself in the bin, I swear). Ida is the happy sequel to last year's grief. At the beginning of January, I was mourning. By the end of January, I was still mourning, but now I had a new companion (as did my other cat, Alfie, who *really* needed one). Why am I talking about my cats? Because they are constant, they give shape and rhythm to my day, and I love them even if they sometimes drive me crazy. Just like crossword puzzles! (See that! Segue! This is why you should pay me the big bucks!) 

However much I love writing this blog (and I do, a lot), it is, in fact, a job. This blog has covered the NYTXW every day, without fail, for 17 years, and except for two days a month (when my regular stand-ins Mali and Clare write for me), and an occasional vacation or sick day (when I hire substitutes to write for me), it's me who's doing the writing. Every day. At very ... let's say, inconvenient hours (my alarm goes off most mornings at 3:45am). Over the years, I have received all kinds of advice about "monetizing" the blog, invitations to turn it into a subscription-type deal à la Substack or Patreon. But that sort of thing has never felt right for me. I like being out here on Main, on this super old-school blogging platform, just giving it away for free and relying on conscientious addicts like yourselves to pay me what you think the blog's worth. It's just nicer that way. 

How much should you give? Whatever you think the blog is worth to you on a yearly basis. Whatever that amount is is fantastic. Some people refuse to pay for what they can get for free. Others just don't have money to spare. All are welcome to read the blog—the site will always be open and free. But if you are able to express your appreciation monetarily, here are three options. First, a Paypal button (which you can also find in the blog sidebar on the homepage):

Second, a mailing address (checks can be made out to "Michael Sharp" or "Rex Parker"):

Rex Parker c/o Michael Sharp
54 Matthews St
Binghamton, NY 13905-4013

The third, increasingly popular option is Venmo; if that's your preferred way of moving money around, my handle is @MichaelDavidSharp (the last four digits of my phone are 4878, in case Venmo asks you, which I guess it does sometimes, when it's not trying to push crypto on you, what the hell?!)

All Paypal contributions will be gratefully acknowledged by email. All Venmo contributions will get a little heart emoji, at a minimum :) All snail mail contributions will be gratefully acknowledged with hand-written postcards. I. Love. Snail Mail. I love seeing your gorgeous handwriting and then sending you my awful handwriting. It's all so wonderful. My daughter (Ella Egan) has once again designed my annual thank-you cards, and once again those cards feature (wait for it) cats! My cats: Alfie & Ida. This year, an elegant set of five!



These really capture the combination of beauty and goofiness that I love in cats (and puzzles, frankly). I'd say "Collect All Five!" but every snail-mail contributor will get just one and (hopefully) like it! Please note: I don't keep a "mailing list" and don't share my contributor info with anyone. And if you give by snail mail and (for some reason) don't want a thank-you card, just indicate "NO CARD." Again, as ever, I'm so grateful for your readership and support. Please know that your support means a lot to me and my family. Now on to today's puzzle... 

• • •

Nice to see women's names on the bylines today, as it has truly been a Dry January so far (with 8.5 of the first 9 puzzles of this year made by men). Honestly December was pretty dire as well, in that regard. But things can always turn around! (said Charlie Brown, as Lucy once again held the football steady ...). Let's hope. Today's puzzle is a wacky letter swap—a tried and true theme type, coming to you today wrapped in a cute little revealer. Do preschool teachers really say SHARING IS CARING. Even 4yo me would've found that inane. I feel like this phrase became popular sometime (well) after my childhood. The '90s maybe? Feels associated with a TV show somehow, but I may be confusing it with the Care Bears (also after my time, if only just). But yeah, if you google SHARING IS CARING you get a lot of insipid videos trying to teach your children values that you apparently failed to teach them, all while training them to be tolerant of terrible music. Don't get me wrong, I love sharing, I just hate ... I dunno, rhyming? Cloying cutesiness? But this is no knock against the theme, which I think is just fine. And it yields mostly chuckleworthy theme answers. I liked the first two better than the second two. GIFT COP has a hilariously pejorative ring to it, but the clue totally missed that potential, and instead just gave us a limp neutral clue (*Person who assigns the order of opening presents?). My favorite was NO GREAT CAKES, which I got without even looking at the clue, but which I could tell immediately had the best cluing potential. The clue is a good one (*Review for a so-so bakery?), but again, it's a little tepid. Maybe tepidness is in the interest of clarity? Or ... causing the least offense? I don't know. I just know that I like my wacky Wacky, and this one came in a little light in that regard. Still, overall, this is a nice expression of a common theme type, with the revealer elevating it above your run-of-the-mill letter-swap puzzles.


The puzzle played Easy with one major exception. Well, maybe two. One major, one minor. First the major, which, once again, came via my old nemesis: The Northwest. I started there easily enough, with MICS MITT IMAC SCIENCE, but then ... ??? Absolutely could not get to "I MAY" from 2D: "Not sure yet" even with IM- in place. Not loving the non-correspondence there between clue and answer (the answer is a complete sentence, whereas the clue is just a fragment, an incomplete sentence, with the verb only implied). I was looking for "I'M ... something." TORN, actually, but it wouldn't fit. And then CAMP, yeesh, no hope, even from the CA- (3D: Something to make or break). But the worst holder-upper was 20A: What's tolerated by every body?, for which I had T--EO, in response to which I said to myself, "Well, nothing fits T--EO. No word fits that pattern," which led me to my brilliant conclusion, "MITT must be wrong." I just abandoned this section and followed SCIENCE (4D: "Magic that works," per Vonnegut) down to SICKO (which I was lucky enough to remember) (26A: 2007 Michael Moore documentary about health care) and then solved in this bizarre way where I fell down the entire left side of the grid, arriving at the revealer before I'd ever even looked at a theme clue (?!). Once I'd discarded SHARE AND SHARE ALIKE as a possibility, SHARING IS CARING went in, and the themers were Very easy to pick up as a result. Cart before the horse! Pre-vealer! 


This "prevelation" (getting the revealer first) ended up being very instrumental in my eventually solving not only that pesky Northwest area, but also its annoying if somewhat less difficult cousin, the Northeast. I threw ONE SCOOP up there, but neither the "O" nor the "N" was any help at all in getting those Acrosses in the NE. These also happened to be two of the worst-looking Acrosses in the whole puzzle, which made me sad, but also made me happy, as I felt less bad about not getting clunkiness like "OH, SAY" and especially NOT DO (?) than I would have if those answers had ended up being more ordinary. Anyway, knowing the theme helped me get CREW, and then it was Shakespeare To The Rescue, as TAMING went in, and I saw that T--EO was TIMEO or TOREO or some word I'd never imagined but a mere blood type: TYPE O, the "universal donor" blood type.


The fill kind of floundered a bit in places today. ALAI was the big, uh, throwback, where crosswordese was concerned (45A: Kyrgyzstan mountain range) (Jai ALAI is also crosswordese, but at least it's auto-fill familiar—ALAI was last clued as mountain range in 2013). But the puzzle also thought it would be cute to throw ADELE back into the guise she wore in grids of yore (12D: One of the Astaires). The pop singer has been the preferred clue by about a 10-to-1 margin since roughly 2010, so if you're younger or a newer solver and were baffled by Fred's sister there, that's understandable. Gimme for longtime solvers (like me), maybe not so much for others. The oldies keep rolling in with a Leon Uris novel ??? for MILA (57D: "___ 18" (novel by Leon Uris)) and Doris Day (SERA) and a silent-movie melodrama complete with mustache-twirling villain! (66A: Expression that might accompany a mustache twirl). The most jarring bit of fill, though, was the completely execrable UPSA (48D: "___-daisy!"). That's about as bad as a partial is going to get. It's cutesy and it's partial and it's Not Even The Preferred Spelling. If you're going to hurl a half-expression like this at me, at least make it accurate. All decent people say "UPSY-Daisy." I don't know what the rest of you are doing here with this UPSA nonsense, but it has to stop. The other big Violation today was the doubling of THAT. Normally, this wouldn't set off my Violationometer so violently, but you've gone and put THAT is both of the marquee Downs! ("STRIKE THAT" / "IN THAT CASE..."). That's like putting the THATs in flashing neon. You're supposed to disguise your GAFFEs, not highlight them. 

["Hello ... no, seriously, Hell-oooo! Yoo hoo! It's me. Did you forget? Who's this Astaire person?"]

Favorite clue of the day was the one on AGES (59D: Wrinkles in time?). A literary allusion and a noun-verb switcheroo! Nice. That's all for the puzzle. Time for the last of (or nearly the last of) the Holiday Pet Pics!

[Cats on Crosswords! My favorite picture genre! Keep at it, Frodo! (thanks, Stuart)]

[Harper and Stitch, mid-shenanigans (thanks, Hunter)]

[Aaaaaaah, what happened to your cat!? (I'm being told all is well, this is Leo and he's actually a gecko) (thanks, Marc)]

[Meeka will seat you now, madam, right this way... (thanks, Mark!)]

[Ollie decorating the tree in France]

[And Ollie learning French! (thanks, Lana)]

[Excited to see this gangster movie, looks terrifying! (starring Uni, Pip, and gangleader (i.e. mother) Mimz!) (thanks, Anne)]

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld 

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]

74 comments:

Conrad 5:48 AM  


I had most of the same issues as OFL.

CAse before CAMP for the make-or-break at 3D
Oh and before OH SAY at 9A
ignorE THAT before STRIKE at 11D
waiLS before hOWLS before YOWLS at 13D
@Rex UPSy before UPSA at 48D
sagaS before GESTS at 49D

Anonymous 6:55 AM  

Spent quite a while wondering about SHARING IS CYRING before I came to my senses.

SouthsideJohnny 7:03 AM  

“It’s catching” is a MITT? Sure, it’s just sitting there all by itself, catching . . . . . .
dust. Which can be said about pretty much any inanimate object. Looks to me like an attempt at misdirection gone too far (too bad one of the editors didn’t reel that one in a tad). Yes, granted it’s a nit, but it would be cool to have nice, clean clues coming out of the gate at 1A and 1D just as a general practice.

Please don’t use GIFT COP as an answer again until we are well into the second half of this decade.

Wanderlust 7:15 AM  

A fun one to come up with other options:
“Instruction to a new recruit in the barracks?”
“What the cross-dressing hen did for the Halloween party?”
“Start the day off cringing in fear?”
“What you might say to encourage a class clown?”






Answers:
TAKE A COT
CAME AS A COCK
HAVE A MORNING COWER
WILL YOU PLEASE CUT UP

I liked these, though Rex makes a good point that they could have gone wackier with a couple of the clues. Maybe, “She’ll cuff you if your birthday present isn’t expensive enough.”

YOWLS, hOWLS, baWLS is a kealoaulu (ulu being the third Mauna listed in Wikipedia) and CARPS, hARPS is just a kealoa. Any Norse god clue without having a crossing letter - THOR? Odin? Loki?

Agree with Rex on UPSA, and on the nice clue for AGES. I’ll add “It’s often in stock” for BONE.

Jack Stefano 7:32 AM  

I thought the term was “in two shakes of a lamb’s tail”. Not dice.

Bob Mills 7:50 AM  

Figured out the theme fairly quickly, but had trouble with the NRH/BONE cross. I assumed "Author Umberto" couldn't be ECO, because that's usually clued as a prefix. BONE does make sense with the clue, but I was slow to get there.

A puzzle with three answers that end in "AI" with "Thai" is hard to imagine, but the constructor did it. My one objection is UPSA as a prefix for "daisy." It's U-P-S-Y or O=O-P-S-Y, definitely not UPSA.

Lewis 7:52 AM  

Sweet bite, slow-to-unravel reveal, cluing wit, and the feeling that I’m in the hands of a most capable constructing team – this was a wow for me.

As a veteran solver, I come into Wednesday expecting a fairly breezy outing, but this one had its share of headwinds – a treat! A good number of answers that I couldn’t get right off from the clue, but when they eventually filled in, they made perfect sense.

Then the relatively slow awakening of the theme. I got the C-for-SH substitution fairly early, but I left the reveal blank and tried to figure it out, first without reading its clue (no hope), then by revealing one letter at a time, and even then it took uncovering a plenitude of letters to get. And when I finally did get it, it brought a huge “Hah!” and “Yes!” and “Perfecto!”

By the way, the puzzlemakers are kin-structors, aunt and niece, which makes my family-loving heart smile. And man, they created a cracker-jack gem today. Alissa and Chloe, I hope to see SAMOA from you, and soon. Thank you so much for this!

Dr.A 7:59 AM  

Fun puzzle. Always happy to see MILA-18, a great novel.

mmorgan 8:15 AM  

Theme answers and revealer were easy and reasonably cute, and I got the revealer first which made the theme answers very easy. But much of the rest was medium-plus, but in mostly a good way. And to me it’s definitely oopsy-daisy or even whoopsie daisy. End of discussion.

SouthsideJohnny 8:40 AM  

I thought this was kind of a fun bit of karma. Both the NYT and the WaPo contain AROAR as an answer today. Yet the bozos across the hall from the Crossword department at SB refuse to embrace it - which is more than a touch ironic considering all of the other slop that SB accepts as valid.

I think it’s two duplicates in two days - I don’t ever recall that happening before.

Anonymous 8:49 AM  

Haven't seen fill this rough for a while. Would have expected to only have Cs in the themers, but they're all over the grid.

Anonymous 8:54 AM  

Type O is not the universal donor. Type O negative is. Type O can not be given to anyone with a negative type

Anonymous 8:56 AM  

Great midweek puzzle! NW with late week clues pushed me over usual time, but I enjoyed it. TYPEO was clever, along with those mentioned above.

RooMonster 9:01 AM  

Hey All !
Nice puz. Figured it out eventually. "Aha!", says I, "The C's in the Themers need to be changed to SH's to make common phrases from the wacky (Rex) ones." Talking to myself, a NO ONE else is around...

NW corner took a minute, strangely tough to get that little 4x4 section. Thankfully, in SE corner, DAYS couldn't be DeYS, because MILe 18 sounds 163% more like a title than MILA 18. Actually changed it to an E, but changed it back, preserving my streak.

The Blockers pattern made me think it was left/right symmetry at first glimpse. A quick glimpse, mind you.

The dupe THAT could've been cross-referenced with the GAFFE clue. Har.

Happy Wednesday.

Three F's
RooMonster
DarrinV

RooMonster 9:02 AM  

Oh, and hit QB YesterBee! WooHoo!

RooMonster Not Often The Queen Guy

Anonymous 9:03 AM  

Never heard the phrase “no great shakes” before, and I completely didn’t understand the revealer until reading the explanation here, so this whole solve was a slog. Also yes, the word is UPSY or even OOPSY-DAISY! What is this UPSA nonsense? The whole point of that phrase is the rhyme!

Had MILe before MILA (never heard of that book or author), and I feel the clue for MITT doesn’t quite work, even as misdirection. The MITT isn’t catching. YOU are catching, using the MITT.

Not a fun one for me, especially with the revealer not making any sense to me.

Anonymous 9:04 AM  

What are GESTS and how are they “tales of daring?”

EasyEd 9:29 AM  

Same as @REX I foundered in the NW, but for the opposite reason—got IMAY and IMAC right away then drew complete blank. Liked TYPEO when I finally got it. The rest of the puzzle went fairly easy, except that UPSA was a last grudging resort.

pabloinnh 9:37 AM  

I thought TAMINGOFTHECREW meant we were in for some wacky Shakespeare titles today, but NOGREATCAKES disabused me of that notion. Some skipping around led me to the revealer, which was more of a "should have seen that" than an "aha!", but I thought it was clever all the same. Very helpful for GIFTCOP, who could go with you while shopping to make sure you didn't buy something stupid.

I think that OFL is implying that if you're familiar with Mila 18 you might me a senior citizen. I don't know, I read it in high school which wasn't that long ago, I don't know, in the 60's sometime.

The clue "Kyrgyzstan mountain range" made me smile. Now that's a proper crossword clue from ages past, or days OFYORE. And ALAI doesn't have to be "Jai _____". Who knew?


I'm with @Southside on AROAR. Get your act together people.

Really enjoyed your Wednesdecito, CR and AR. Cute Reversals of letters Are Real winners in my book, and thanks for all the fun.


Beezer 10:31 AM  

Another day when my solving experience was pretty much like @Rex in that I had to use the revealer/theme to finally solve the northwest. I put in MICS, then ignored the “make” part of “make or break” and put rAnk instead of CAMP and erased MICS. It ALL became clear once I totally got the substitution gimmick. My only other GAFFE of note was plopping in Ural for the mountain range, but crosses led me to ALAI…I’ll try to tuck that range into my memory banks but I have a hard time with which is which with the Olympic and Cascades so I’ll probably always opt for URAL.

I’d make a horrible pre-school teacher. Instead of nicely saying SHARINGISCARING I’d probably shout something like…”what are you guys, a bunch of wild animals”!?

Anonymous 10:38 AM  

dumb theme and UPSA ruined this for me

Gary Jugert 10:41 AM  

Hm. Fine. I had TASING OF THE CREW for awhile and I thought this was going to be a violent little adventure.

Hard to like UPSA-Daisy.

I tried to purchase Ida with my annual contribution to the blog, but 🦖 wasn't having it. Do those of you who know him better have any idea what it would take for him to sell me that cat?

Uniclues:

1 How I'm often described.
2 Suggestion from city leaders around the world to those unable to cover the rent.
3 Punch Kunis.

1 SOME SICKO (~)
2 IN THAT CASE ... CAMP (~)
3 STRIKE THAT MILA

My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Result of Wonderland going condo. CHESHIRE CAT WEPT.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nancy 11:05 AM  

Loved it. The theme was a lot of fun and the theme answers were well-chosen and well-clued. But the constructors obviously put a lot of thought into all the clues, with some really nice ones for AGES; TWO (interesting factoid); GOBI; ORCA (another interesting factoid); and especially TYPEO, which baffled me for the longest time.

I got NO GREAT CAKES before I got the TAMING of TAMING OF THE CREW. But once I had the former, the latter became obvious. But what would the revealer be? I tried to think of one and couldn't. SH=C? Sort of like E=MC-squared? Nothing came to me.

But SHARING IS CARING is nicely unguessable, unexpected, and works quite well, I think. An entertaining puzzle to work on.

gregmark 11:16 AM  

Care Bears before his time, he says... but only just... crap. I'm closer in age to Rex than I thought. But it depends on what range on the Care Bears Invasion Timeline he's assessing.

Whole of the enterprise? I remember a girl in 4th grade with a Care Bears backpack (with that poofy vinyl-like heraldry atop the canvas) circa '83, so.. that argues for 2-4 years positive separation, depending on when he started listening to the Smiths. I can live with that. If he means the full-body fluffy pastel beargasm that rattled tectonic plates off the coast of Michoacan, Mexico in '85 with cartoons and toys and ay yi yi Care Bears everywhere you look, man, run!... we have problems.

Thank you for explaining, @RooMonster. I wasn't sharp enough to noodle it today.

Slow solve, for most of the same reasons mentioned already. Ex-Soviet rivers and mountains... Ural River? Ugh.

Similar NW conundrum and overreaction as described by Rex and others (MITT must be wrong!) with a side of murder is the CASE the gave me to make not break but I put it in confidently anyway. Cheers.

jb129 11:20 AM  

For some crazy reason I got tripped up on ALAI but otherwise I liked this puzzle a lot. Solved it a lot faster than some puzzles of late.

Thank you, Ladies!

BTW - @Southside Johnny - I agree with you about AROAR @ SB especially since they include POOP - ???

Tom T 11:28 AM  

@Rex -- "prevelation" -- GREAT SHAKE!!!

Tough for a Wednesday for this solver. Enjoyed it!

Newboy 11:34 AM  

Yep, Wednesday cute as expected. And the cats came back the very next day…..wouldn’t stay away…..but SHRUGGING IS BUGGING or SOMETHING LIKE THAT THAT that bugged Rex. Anyway a fun start to hump day, so thanks to Chloe & Alissa and Will’s crew for adding them again into the new year’s mix. Interesting clue for AGES as OFL noted & I learned about ORCA brains, so not shabby for mid-week. Needed something like this grid to cure dour NW depression after Michigan thumped the dogs and then passed on their single digit temperatures to our usually mild environs.

Checks in the mail as they say. Thanks for keeping us amused for another week or so Rex, your community is often more amusing than the grids themselves and when you decide to move on you will be missed. I’m still in mourning for xwordinfo as an alternative take, so be strong and hang in there,ok?

Sam 11:34 AM  

Same reaction to UPSA as RP. If you’re about to put UPSA in your puzzle, change something. Upsy-daisy and oopsy-daisy, sure. But not UPSA. That’s nonsense.

Nancy 11:36 AM  

Like @Beezer, I have a hard time distinguishing my URAL from my ARAL. One's a river and one's a mountain range, and I can never remember which is which. Does anyone have a mnemonic? Or has someone already provided me with one and I've forgotten it too?

Anonymous 11:48 AM  

Oh no lol the clue I came here to get an explanation for isn't even mentioned, which must mean it's obvious. Could someone PLEASE tell me why "they're raised in Chi-Town" is ELS?

Masked and Anonymous 12:02 PM  

Fun UPSA facts:

1. It is a public university in Ghana.
2. It is a provider of "top replica rolex watches".
3. UPSA has been in the puz before, so no excuses for not knowin it, as clued. Unless its last appearance 27 years ago is hard for some to recall.
4. UPS-A-Daisy is a semi-well-known planter insert for gardeners.
5. Up'Sa Daisy is a sorta well-known hair salon, for all who live near Metairie, LA.
6. M&A suggestion for an alternate clue: {"___-daisa!"}. har

re: SHARINGISCARING:

1. Neat revealer. Altho, what it's tryin to get at is actually: SHISC. But, that's not real cluable. And U sure don't wanna dare go with SHITSC, or somesuch. Better to just say the revealer, as is, is just "a hint", and move on.
2. Caught on to the theme mcguffin pronto, at our house. Right there at the Turn of the SCREW [to CREW]. This helped a lot, in keepin the overall solvequest nanoseconds under control.
3. Letter substitution puztheme is OK by m&e. Could almost at most be a TuesPuz theme, in difficulty, tho.

staff weeject pick: HAI. "Yes" in Japanese. Popular NYTPuz entry, with 103 usages. OTOH, "no" in Japanese has gotten absolutely "no" respect, so to speak. Evidently "no" is IIE. Ain't never been no IIE's in the puz.

Only a coupla total no-knows, today: MILA. ALAI [as clued]. ECO [as clued]. I do think I've bumped into Umberto ECO before, but looks like that's been once in every forty appearances, or so. Sooo … it definitely ain't got the COWUPSALOTS.

Thanx for rev-in' up some fun, Ms. Revery & Revness darlins. And U 2, Will Cortz. M&A always luvs to be ganged up on.

Masked & Anonymo4Us


**gruntz**

johnk 12:08 PM  

An early written record of UPSA/UPSY/WHOOPSY is in the form "up a-dazy" in Jonathan Swift's 1711 Journal to Stella: "Come, stand away, let me rise: Patrick take away the candle. Is there a good fire!—So—up adazy. At night.—Mr. Harley did not sit down till six…"
Still, SHARING IS CYRING.

sharonak 12:23 PM  

UPSA in my world. I did have UPSY in mind as possibility. But definitely UPSA-DAISY is what people say.

Found this puzzle easier than yesterday's and the theme more fun. But it didn't have really great answers like WENT KABOOM (and NO Rex "goes kaboom" is NOT better.

Anonymous 12:31 PM  

@anon 11:48 elevated trains = ELS

Carola 12:46 PM  

Medium for me: it took a long time to get a grip in the NW, and I was repeated flummoxed by vague cluing. But once I had TAMING OF THE CREW and saw what's what, the mists parted at least a little and I had fun with the rest - especially GIFT COP, as I totally am one. This weekend we're having late Christmas with our daughter's family, and you can bet I'll make sure everything is opened in the correct order.

Do-overs: NO tREAT CAKES, Beef before BONE. No idea: ALAI.

@Wanderlust - Good ones!

@Jack Stefano - Thanks for mentioning "in two shakes of a lamb's tail." It was one of my mom's favorite expressions, and I haven't heard it since Hector was a pup :)

egsforbreakfast 12:47 PM  

I got a late start on the puzzle, but eventually I said "Let's get this cow on the road." I started out thinking it wasn't good, but once I got to the revealer, I said "ONICE, give me SAMOA."

We used to do a really frightening thing on Halloween. It left the trick-or-treaters crying until we handed out the goodies. We called it Scaring is Sharing.

You sure never hear people say "Great Shakes" as a compliment. That movie was great shakes.

This all raises the age-old question: TOGAS or not TOGAS.

Fun puzzle. Thanks, Chloe Revery and Alissa Revness.



bocamp 12:59 PM  

Thx Chloe & Allisa, for CARING to SHARe your creation with us! 😊

Downs-o with success (3x NYT Sat.)

What a thrilling solve; all kinds of serendipitous inspirations! :)

Gradually sussed out the theme of 'C' to 'SH'; huge help!

NW was the toughest; getting SCIENCE was one of those aha moments! TAMING OF THE CREW gave me MITT, which lead to TYPE O, which then provided I MAY and CAMP. I had at one time tried both MITT and CAMP, but pulled them out. Also had tried 'rule' and 'deal' for 'make or break', and post-solve thot 'fast' would have been a cute answer.

Originally had GAFFE, but pulled it, ONLY to replace it later. WaiLS and mewLS before YOWLS. FoRget and deletE before STRIKE. Wanted 'belay that', as we'd say in the Navy, but one letter shy. EeriE before ON ICE; UPSy before UPSA.

My original drop-ins were: GAFFE, ONE SCOOP, HOC, ADELE, NOOK, AMP, TWO, SUIT, OFT, NTH, EARS, DIP, ELS, GESTE, ETHAN, CESAR, CIA, MILA, ONLY & AGES.

A wonderful adventure; liked it a lot! :)
___
An aside from yd: two days in a row now, my chess puz has involved pressure and/or defense along the 'D' FILE.
___
Elizabeth Gorski's Mon. New Yorker was a fun solve, but unusually easy for a Mon. New Yorker (NYT Thurs-Fri dif). On to Neville Fogarty's New Yorker cryptic. 🤞
___
Peace 🕊 🇺🇦 ~ Compassion ~ Tolerance ~ Kindness ~ Freudenfreude & a DAP to all 👊 🙏

okanaganer 1:00 PM  

Seemed to be a lot of iffy stuff for a Wednesday. The only decent answer is STRIKE THAT. Lots of stuff like NOT DO and UPSA.

[Spelling Bee: Tues 0, but that obscure 4 letter word, that I have missed before, took ages. Congrats Roo!]

jae 1:05 PM  

Easy-medium. No WOEs and hOWLS before YOWLS was it for erasures.

Reasonably good We’d., liked it, although the revealer seemed a tad awkward to me with ARING just hanging out there.

Dorkito Supremo 1:06 PM  

I totally agree on MITT. That bugged me.

Teedmn 1:11 PM  

Not so easy for me. I kept messing myself up. I didn't get far in the NW, only IMAC. I then laddered down from AROAR (AFROS, HOTS, SOME, AMP, OPTED) to where I decided to try climbing back to fill in the NE.

So 11D became ignorE THAT, later fixed by seeing NO GREAT CAKES. I turned back to 17A, saw CREW at the end of it and said, oh, the turning of the CREW must be the theme answer, already forgetting it was SH to C, not just S to C. Figured that out once turn didn't fit. TAMING OF THE CREW, got it (plus, turning did not make a pun with the clue, duh.)

I assumed there were Ten in the first West Point class, was surprised that the ALps could reach as far as Kyrgyzstan and then went UPSy-daisy.

Ultimately I succeeded but not by any means in a Wednesday time. Which just made it more fun!

Thanks, Chloe and Alissa!

Jack 1:11 PM  

"Morning ritual for one with a buzz cut?"
"Who might pop out of a birthday cake?"
"Body fad now that BBLs are out?"

Dorkito Supremo 1:12 PM  

That is literally the dictionary definition of the word.

bocamp 1:45 PM  

@Roo 👍 for QB yd 😊
___
Peace 🕊 🇺🇦 ~ Compassion ~ Tolerance ~ Kindness ~ Freudenfreude & a DAP to all 👊 🙏

Fun_CFO 1:46 PM  

It’s a good mid-week puzzle/theme.

But:
THAT duped,
UPSA,
“C” s everywhere outside theme, and
the NW corner overall,

Detract in a not so elegant way.



Jared 2:11 PM  

Seems like Rex pulled his punches quite a lot today considering the constructor is a woman. This puzzle was terrible, IMO, both the clues and the fill. As already pointed out, there are tons of incredibly dated and obscure references—MILA 18? Umberto ECO? Dorothy Parker? Doris Day? Absolutely no idea. GEST is not a word anybody on the planet uses. Never heard of a "gift cop" in my life. GETS INTO CAPE is embarrassing.

68Charger 2:12 PM  

Just curious... Is there a 4th way to donate to the annual fund drive, as in cash?? Or is that a no-no??

Anonymous 2:49 PM  

🤣🤣

Nancy 4:14 PM  

"This weekend we're having late Christmas with our daughter's family, and you can bet I'll make sure everything is opened in the correct order." --@Carola (12:46)

There's a correct order?

Beezer 4:47 PM  

@anonymous 11:48…in Chicago the train around “the Loop” is called “the El”…it is elevated (right above the streets)…not a subway.

Beezer 5:03 PM  

@Nancy…hahaha! I GET your question but I THINK @Carola might be referring to giving one present to someone when the order doesn’t make sense…I’ve done it too…Let’s say you get a child two presents. One is a Barbie doll (assume they don’t have one) and the other gift is some Barbie doll clothes. If the kid opens the Barbie clothes first…kind of weird. It can happen with Lego “starter kits” too. If they open “add-ons” first…big question mark! Obviously all bets are off when they are Santa presents…it’s a free for all.

Anonymous 5:04 PM  

About the criticism of it’s catching/ mitt combo
This type of clue is becoming more common. My guess is Shortz loves word play and constructors are reacting to that or they are suggested by the editors. I am not really a fan, too cursive, but I have gotten used to them. I gather Southside Johnny and Dorkito Supremo can’t stand them. Matter of taste. But I don’t see anything unusual about this one. Anyway, the clue is a hint not a definition.
The mitt is a symbol of catching like the White House is a symbol of the President , nothing wrong with that aspect.

Carola 5:11 PM  

@Nancy 4:14 - That was party tongue in cheek but only partly. I like to pace things, e.g., not leading either with an extra-special gift or with one that's more of a joke. I share duties with a co-GIFT COP and the others indulge us with good humor. Thankfully.

Anonymous 5:12 PM  

About Anonymous 9:03 AM not hearing no great shakes before. Very common expression. Perhaps it is a generational thing, that is disappearing among younger people? Anyway, not obscure at all.

dgd 5:59 PM  

About Jared attacking Rex for being biased in favor of women because Rex didn’t trash the puzzle. Perhaps if he read the blog he might have noticed that a lot of people liked the puzzle. I did without knowing the constructors are women (I didn’t bother to look) until I read Rex.
He is perfectly entitled to think the puzzle horrid, but to attack Rex that way is another story entirely.
Rex criticizes almost all puzzles and trashes many including those constructed by women. Since so many others here liked it, perhaps Jared is the one with the political agenda.
In any event, Rex mostly praised the theme and was less enamored of the full I noticed Jared didn’t say anything about the theme Rex actually agreed with him that the fill skewed old. Perhaps Jared should look before he writes.
BTW the fill did skew old but to call the items listed as “incredibly”
obscure would perhaps define everything (at least cultural history) before one is born as
arcane. Perhaps Elvis should be banned.
Gift cop is a joke It is not supposed to be a thing Gift SHOP is the thing. I hope everyone has heard of that

Anonymous 6:44 PM  

Huh. Never encountered this word before. Jests, yes. But never gests.

Peter O'Riordan 7:06 PM  

I’m in California and my ritual is to do the puzzle with my afternoon cup of tea, after which I switch over and read the blog from start to finish. Since most of you have packed up and gone home by then, I don’t post. But since it’s Rex’s fundraising week, I want to say how much I value both his blog and the community it has created. My thanks Rex for his indefatigable commitment, and to all the regular contributors for all the many hilarious jokes, asides, and links you all provide.

matt 7:07 PM  

"Nary a Soul" for NOONE is also some pretty classic crosswordese!

Anonymous 7:56 PM  

As mom to both a former and a current preschooler, I can confirm that they do indeed teach kids “SHARING IS CARING” in preschool, as it’s come out of my kids’ mouths more times than I can count - and while I don’t mind the sentiment generally speaking (for little kids, anyway), it’s definitely not something we say at home 🤣

Carola 9:54 PM  

@Beezer 5:03 - That, too!

Anonymous 8:23 AM  

This one made me feel recalcitrant about continuing to do the NYTXW. I couldn’t parse SHARINGISCYRING because A: muscle relaxers. and B: it’s UPSY daisy. Also, maybe I’m daft. But I don’t know what GIFTCOP is supposed to be in the puzzle sense.

Sadie 11:34 AM  

Sharing is caring was the theme of the old Barney the dinosaur show. Awful show. Unless you considered it a satire.

Pdxrains 1:22 PM  

I dunno, a lot of these clues seemed like more than Wednesday-level misdirection and weirdness.

-It's catching... MITT. Huh? A mitt is always ccatching? No, a mitt can be catching but wow. That's a really hard clue for wednesday.

Other issues:
-I'm not a boomer so the only Astaire I've ever heard of is Fred
-I'm not a boomer so I don't know any Doris Day 50s singles
-GEST is not a word I see ever so that got me

This made for a rough time and needed some help and normally I can do a Wednesday :(.

kitshef 7:48 AM  

Downs only. Tough but fair. Definitely needed the theme to finish.

spacecraft 11:12 AM  

Nowhere near easy-medium. What are Saturday-level clues doing this early in the week? Misdirection and obscurity abound. I had to fight my way through virtually every section of this. Which did, at least, yield a boatload of triumph points.

UPSA almost did me in. For the longest time I couldn't parse ...-SHYRING. No matter how many UPSA's there may be, it's definitely UPSY-DAISY. To suggest otherwise is really underhanded.

I'm tired; I need a break. Felt like I worked a whole shift. Don't know how to score it on account of the TPs. I guess birdie.

Wordle par.

Burma Shave 12:17 PM  

NOT GREAT ONICE

ADELE IS THE TYPE who GETS caught,
and CLEARED by THE COPs she IS NOT,
be THAT as it MAY,
SOME OTHER folks SAY,
"INTHATCASE her CAKES ain't so HOT!"

--- ELLE MAY CAMP

Anonymous 12:56 PM  

I loved this one. To me, it was more difficult than the average Wednesday. More like a medium Thursday or Friday.

Anonymous 1:02 PM  

Agree with others above that UPSA is not good fill. It’s the kind of stuff the computer suggests but should be avoided by the constructor and especially the editor(s).

Anonymous 1:04 PM  

ALAI crossing ELS is pretty bad.

Anonymous 1:24 PM  

Q - When is TYPEO not TYPEO?
A - When it’s a TYPO.

Diana, LIW 1:53 PM  

Not only did I get the puz, but I got the joke. For once!

Nothin' to SNEER at. I could not understand why GIFTCOP would be a thing - ahh - I see.

Diana, Lady-in-Waiting for Crosswords

Diana, LIW 1:55 PM  

PS - I can't think of UPSA (I would say Upsy) Daisy without thinking of Julia and Hugh in that Notting movie, sneaking into the park.

Lady Di

Anonymous 4:15 PM  

Send a check

Burma Shave 5:53 PM  

Hand up here for over-writing UPSy - only way I've really heard it. Also over-wrote hARP.. Noticed INON ONICE.
Wordle birdie.

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP