Luxury fashion house based in Paris / SAT 9-5-26 / Cracker alternative to Ritz / Future manager's goal, for short / Toy popularized by Queen Victoria, familiarly / Apt name for a yoga instructor? / The sound that concludes "The Sound and the Fury" / What you might hear when you get someone's goat? / Tongue-in-cheek interjection akin to "Told ya..." / Stunning attraction at a winter festival, maybe
Saturday, September 5, 2026
Constructor: Fritz Juhnke
Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium
THEME: none
Word of the Day: CHLOÉ (2D: Luxury fashion house based in Paris) —
Chloé (French pronunciation: [klɔe]) is a French luxury fashion house founded in 1952 by Gaby Aghion. In 1953, Aghion joined forces with Jacques Lenoir, formally managing the business side of the brand, allowing Aghion to purely pursue the creative growth of Chloé. Its headquarters are located in Paris.
The house is owned by luxury brands holding company Richemont Group. Chloé has been worn by many celebrities, including Marion Cotillard, Sienna Miller, Madonna, January Jones, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Kirsten Dunst, Cameron Diaz, Emma Stone, Clémence Poésy and Katie Holmes.
The brand is characterized by a youthful and bohemian aesthetic, and has produced several successful fragrances. As of October 2023, Chemena Kamali is its creative director. (wikipedia)
• • •
EXCITING NEWS: Comments section functionality appears (fingers crossed) to have been restored, so please feel free to go back and say whatever you had to say about yesterday's puzzle on yesterday's post, and as for today's post, well, everything should be normal, so ... let's find out!
• • •
I had some lucky and unlucky moments today. Started great with KEY / SWANK as my opening 1-2 punch. Nice to get the opening letters of all those longer answers up top right off the bat. NOLTE was a gimme, and at that point I got so hopped up on early success that I ... well, I got over my skis a little. Off the final "T," I decided that an [Apt name for a yoga instructor?] would be ... BENT! In my (very reluctant) defense, BENGT is a Swedish man's name. I think that is possibly what I was thinking of. But as soon as I wrote it in, it looked ... bad. And almost immediately I realized "oh, no, it's probably just MATT." Other mistakes (besides BENT and HOLLYWOOD ENDING)—off the "L," I wrote in IDLY instead of TALL at 20A: One way to stand; off the "-AL-," I wrote in SALE instead of CALL at 53A: Stock market option; off the "-ON," I wrote in MOON instead of LION at 47A: ___ dance (Lunar New Year tradition); and finally, I tried to let someone IN to the elevator, not ON (61A: Held the elevator door for, say (LET ON)). Typical Saturday blunders.
Bullets:
Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)] =============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:
- 52D: The sound that concludes "The Sound and the Fury" (LONG "E") — me: "There's a sound? Is it ... a furious sound? 'AARGH!'?" No, it is the sound of the "y" in "Fury." A letteral clue! Tricky.
- 41D: Like the 18th Amendment, nowadays (NULL) — uh, true, but also true that the 18th Amendment has been NULL since the 21st Amendment was ratified in 1933, which is not exactly "nowadays." Weirdish example of NULLness.
- 21A: Hang time, for short? (SESH) — SESH is always an ew from me, and it's particularly an ew when what is seemingly being referred to is the cringy phrase "hang SESH" (which just means a period of hanging out together / socializing" ... although apparently SESH can mean that all on its own ... can you all just please stop saying SESH, or saying it near me, anyway? Thanks. The cutesiness, the desperate attempt to sound "young" ... it burns ...
- 7D: Cracker alternative to Ritz (ZESTA) — Crosswords' favorite cracker! Which is to say, no one's favorite cracker. "They're out of Ritz." "Well, just get whatever then." "[pulls box off shelf] [squints] ZESTA?" "[Sigh], Sure." Hang on—ZESTAs are saltine crackers!? How are those an alternative to Ritz. That's like ... an entirely different species of cracker. Really gotta be desperate to accept ZESTA as an alternative to Ritz? Everyone knows the only Ritz alternative is Hi Ho (sadly discontinued sometime last decade). RIP Sunshine Biscuit, Hi Ho's parent company (which also, fittingly, owned Hydrox, the Oreo "alternative"). Keebler bought Sunshine in 1996. Our Cracker History Lesson has concluded for the day.
That's all, see you next time.
P.S. gonna go see a bunch of actual HOLLYWOOD MOMENTs today when I go see Double Indemnity (1944), which is somehow (!) screening at my local Regal cinema. They're also showing Dolly in Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982) on Monday, so we're going to that, too. Love the idea that my play-the-hits local multiplex is slowly morphing into a rep theater. It'll never get all the way there, but their retro screenings this weekend alone are kind of astonishing. Wrath of Khan! Steel Magnolias! Right alongside Coyote vs. Acme (which I will see, eventually). I'm into it.
["I wonder if you wonder"]
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:
- Pop Sensation (vintage paperbacks)





















5 comments:
Much easier than Friday,. Only sticking point was the SE, where I had "Hollywood ending" at first. Good puzzle with a relative dearth of misdirects (for a Saturday).
Actually, Oreos (Nabisco) were the alternative to Hydrox (Sunshine). Hydrox were the original (1908); Oreos were a shameless rip-off introduced four years later (1912). Both were marketed as adult cookies. Hydrox dominated the market through the late 1950's until Nabisco decided to use television to market the cookie directly to kids (following the example of the marketing of sugary cereals), adding a thicker layer of filling and more sugar, while promoting the idea of dipping them in milk (apparently to convince moms that by doing so, this sugar bomb could be part of a healthy snack).
Everyone knows hydrox was first but it’s still def the “alternative” to Oreo, the much much much more popular cookie
Jeez buddy did you work for Hydrox? Lotta OREO rage there…
Medium. A really nice Saturday. Most of my difficulty was in the NW and SW.
* * * * _
Overwrites:
Fell into the aHa/OHO trap at 6D.
aH ME before OH ME at 24D.
At 26D, I conflated the clue's "Bubkes" with "Bubbe" and had NAnA before NADA.
My 27A humorous sign was kick ME before WASH.
I had ICE cAstlE before PALACE for the winter festival attraction at 32D.
MOvE before MORE at 34A, but I doubted it from the start because not many words end in V.
Guessed right (for a change) at the SO do I / SO AM I trap at 56D (so not an overwrite).
At 59A, my marked land was a PLaT before it was a PLOT.
When I hold the elevator door, people are LET iN, not ON (61A)
WOEs:
The 2D fashion house CHLOE.
Queen Victoria's toy was a tOp before it was a POM (46A).
I know we've seen ALLELE (50D) before, but I still needed every cross.
Post a Comment