Luxury fashion house based in Paris / SAT 9-5-26 / Cracker alternative to Ritz / Future manager's goal, for short / Toy popularized by Queen Victoria, familiarly / Apt name for a yoga instructor? / The sound that concludes "The Sound and the Fury" / What you might hear when you get someone's goat? / Tongue-in-cheek interjection akin to "Told ya..." / Stunning attraction at a winter festival, maybe
Saturday, September 5, 2026
Constructor: Fritz Juhnke
Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium
THEME: none
Word of the Day: CHLOÉ (2D: Luxury fashion house based in Paris) —
Chloé (French pronunciation: [klɔe]) is a French luxury fashion house founded in 1952 by Gaby Aghion. In 1953, Aghion joined forces with Jacques Lenoir, formally managing the business side of the brand, allowing Aghion to purely pursue the creative growth of Chloé. Its headquarters are located in Paris.
The house is owned by luxury brands holding company Richemont Group. Chloé has been worn by many celebrities, including Marion Cotillard, Sienna Miller, Madonna, January Jones, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Kirsten Dunst, Cameron Diaz, Emma Stone, Clémence Poésy and Katie Holmes.
The brand is characterized by a youthful and bohemian aesthetic, and has produced several successful fragrances. As of October 2023, Chemena Kamali is its creative director. (wikipedia)
• • •
EXCITING NEWS: Comments section functionality appears (fingers crossed) to have been restored, so please feel free to go back and say whatever you had to say about yesterday's puzzle on yesterday's post, and as for today's post, well, everything should be normal, so ... let's find out!
• • •
I had some lucky and unlucky moments today. Started great with KEY / SWANK as my opening 1-2 punch. Nice to get the opening letters of all those longer answers up top right off the bat. NOLTE was a gimme, and at that point I got so hopped up on early success that I ... well, I got over my skis a little. Off the final "T," I decided that an [Apt name for a yoga instructor?] would be ... BENT! In my (very reluctant) defense, BENGT is a Swedish man's name. I think that is possibly what I was thinking of. But as soon as I wrote it in, it looked ... bad. And almost immediately I realized "oh, no, it's probably just MATT." Other mistakes (besides BENT and HOLLYWOOD ENDING)—off the "L," I wrote in IDLY instead of TALL at 20A: One way to stand; off the "-AL-," I wrote in SALE instead of CALL at 53A: Stock market option; off the "-ON," I wrote in MOON instead of LION at 47A: ___ dance (Lunar New Year tradition); and finally, I tried to let someone IN to the elevator, not ON (61A: Held the elevator door for, say (LET ON)). Typical Saturday blunders.
Bullets:
Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)] =============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:
- 52D: The sound that concludes "The Sound and the Fury" (LONG "E") — me: "There's a sound? Is it ... a furious sound? 'AARGH!'?" No, it is the sound of the "y" in "Fury." A letteral clue! Tricky.
- 41D: Like the 18th Amendment, nowadays (NULL) — uh, true, but also true that the 18th Amendment has been NULL since the 21st Amendment was ratified in 1933, which is not exactly "nowadays." Weirdish example of NULLness.
- 21A: Hang time, for short? (SESH) — SESH is always an ew from me, and it's particularly an ew when what is seemingly being referred to is the cringy phrase "hang SESH" (which just means a period of hanging out together / socializing" ... although apparently SESH can mean that all on its own ... can you all just please stop saying SESH, or saying it near me, anyway? Thanks. The cutesiness, the desperate attempt to sound "young" ... it burns ...
- 7D: Cracker alternative to Ritz (ZESTA) — Crosswords' favorite cracker! Which is to say, no one's favorite cracker. "They're out of Ritz." "Well, just get whatever then." "[pulls box off shelf] [squints] ZESTA?" "[Sigh], Sure." Hang on—ZESTAs are saltine crackers!? How are those an alternative to Ritz. That's like ... an entirely different species of cracker. Really gotta be desperate to accept ZESTA as an alternative to Ritz? Everyone knows the only Ritz alternative is Hi Ho (sadly discontinued sometime last decade). RIP Sunshine Biscuit, Hi Ho's parent company (which also, fittingly, owned Hydrox, the Oreo "alternative"). Keebler bought Sunshine in 1996. Our Cracker History Lesson has concluded for the day.
That's all, see you next time.
P.S. gonna go see a bunch of actual HOLLYWOOD MOMENTs today when I go see Double Indemnity (1944), which is somehow (!) screening at my local Regal cinema. They're also showing Dolly in Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982) on Monday, so we're going to that, too. Love the idea that my play-the-hits local multiplex is slowly morphing into a rep theater. It'll never get all the way there, but their retro screenings this weekend alone are kind of astonishing. Wrath of Khan! Steel Magnolias! Right alongside Coyote vs. Acme (which I will see, eventually). I'm into it.
["I wonder if you wonder"]
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:
- Pop Sensation (vintage paperbacks)





















98 comments:
Much easier than Friday,. Only sticking point was the SE, where I had "Hollywood ending" at first. Good puzzle with a relative dearth of misdirects (for a Saturday).
Actually, Oreos (Nabisco) were the alternative to Hydrox (Sunshine). Hydrox were the original (1908); Oreos were a shameless rip-off introduced four years later (1912). Both were marketed as adult cookies. Hydrox dominated the market through the late 1950's until Nabisco decided to use television to market the cookie directly to kids (following the example of the marketing of sugary cereals), adding a thicker layer of filling and more sugar, while promoting the idea of dipping them in milk (apparently to convince moms that by doing so, this sugar bomb could be part of a healthy snack).
Everyone knows hydrox was first but it’s still def the “alternative” to Oreo, the much much much more popular cookie
Jeez buddy did you work for Hydrox? Lotta OREO rage there…
Medium. A really nice Saturday. Most of my difficulty was in the NW and SW.
* * * * _
Overwrites:
Fell into the aHa/OHO trap at 6D.
aH ME before OH ME at 24D.
At 26D, I conflated the clue's "Bubkes" with "Bubbe" and had NAnA before NADA.
My 27A humorous sign was kick ME before WASH.
I had ICE cAstlE before PALACE for the winter festival attraction at 32D.
MOvE before MORE at 34A, but I doubted it from the start because not many words end in V.
Guessed right (for a change) at the SO do I / SO AM I trap at 56D (so not an overwrite).
At 59A, my marked land was a PLaT before it was a PLOT.
When I hold the elevator door, people are LET iN, not ON (61A)
WOEs:
The 2D fashion house CHLOE.
Queen Victoria's toy was a tOp before it was a POM (46A).
I know we've seen ALLELE (50D) before, but I still needed every cross.
Ok - so we get yesterday’s puzzle today. Breezy and fun for the most part. The four intersecting spanners are intriguing upon first glance but I didn’t like the look of that cluttered middle. Not a lot of black anywhere. I liked ALL THOSE AGAINST and HOLLYWOOD MOMENT.
Oh so UNCOUTH
Rex summarizes the overall fill well. COOTIES, STEAL HOME, BLEAT, ANAHEIM are all top notch. SB darling ALLELE shows up. Limited 3s but none of them are great.
KEY To The Highway
Enjoyable Saturday morning solve. Lester Ruff’s Stumper provides an obscure Disney spanner across the middle - solid puzzle if you’re looking for slightly more juice.
Flesh For LULU
32D Clothing tag warning, "do not iron"? Really?
MOvE before MORE (for "Keep on going!"--whaddya want, I'm from NYC) would not let me see E-READER, so I couldn't make heads or tails of that little section, which was the last I finished. But I enjoyed the rest of the puzzle and agree with @Rex.aHa vs. OHO and aH, ME were mistakes I made as well. Enjoyable Saturday.
So much better than yesterday’s torture-fest!
Hey All !
A lot easier than YesterPuz. Figured that today's would be easier, as the FriPuz took me a long time to solve, but also thought today's might be ridiculously tough. Thankfully, the mixed-up days scenario happened.
That FriPuz, it even broke Blogger! Yeesh. I don't like spending that much time on a puz. Sure, I enjoy doing puzs, but I don't need to take 45 (I think it was 47) minutes to do one!
Today's grid looked ominous, but got it solved relatively quickly. Liked the openess. Didn't like No F's. I believe YesterPuz also had No F's. Harrumph.
Neat crossing 15's. Light on dreck for such an open puz. Nice one, Fritz. (At least his name has an F!)
Hope y'all have a great Saturday!
No F's
RooMonster
DarrinV
Like Rex sez, an excellent puzzle for the most part. I made the mistake of skipping over the Swiss cheese middle till the end, so I finished with the WASH(me)/OHME crossing. Quite a letdown. Needed a ZESTA to get the bad taste out of my mouth.
Double Indemnity on the big screen! I’m green with envy. And Rex, you’re gonna enjoy Coyote vs. Acme. Mrs. Freude and I saw it yesterday, our first time back in a movie theater since 2019. It was great to see something on the big screen again.
All the big cinema chains are now showing all sorts of niche movies. Seems like it’s partly a response to the AMC meme stock thing - realizing they can just include a few showings of classics, Bollywood, etc. and help keep the lights on. It’s a small but nice thing in what from all indications is the darkest timeline in which we exist
Fritz got on my good side in his debut Times puzzle (today is his third) with a priceless clue – [When squirrels thermoregulate by splooting].
He certainly remains there after today’s puzzle, starting with that gorgeous grid design that made me feel peaceful even before filling in the first square.
Then the drama. Three quarters of my first pass stubbornly yielded very little, making me wonder if this was going to beat me. But I refused to buckle, went on faith that things would break. They did in the remaining quarter, and answers leached out from there. Overcoming adversity brings such reward.
I remember thinking, after filling in the last square, “That was one of my best solving experiences ever!”
Icing on the cake was the serendipitous confluence of nine double-L’s. It turns out that after A and E, the letter L today is the most populous one in the box. Huh!
Oh yes, I loved this one, Fritz. Please, sir, let there be more. You do Crosslandia proud. Thank you!
I love the NW corner.... It's definitely a movie! We have Hilary SWANK and CHLOE and MATT Damon and the OTHERS all starring in "HOLLYWOODMOMENTs". SPECIAL crossing ELECTION is nice; STEALing HOME is always fun too!!! : ) Medium for me. 4 days w/o SW. Thanks for this, Fritz!
Great write up, Rex. Very good puzzle today. I did have to run the alphabet on ALLELE and what ever a stock market CALL is.
Thanks on "Double Indemnity," Rex. It''s at Regal here today also. Might also hit "Coyote vs. ACME."
Agree with RooMonster on being daunted by shape - ended up being easy-medium here.
With Conrad on ICE castle.
On May 31, 1964, at the age of 14, I went to a Mets/Giants doubleheader at Shea Stadium. It was memorable for an assortment of reasons, despite the Mets losing both games (vu den?). Orlando Cepeda STOLE HOME in the first game. The Mets pulled off a triple play in the second game. And the second game lasted 23 innings and was, timewise, the longest game in MLB history. It was since surpassed on that account. A young Gaylord Perry pitched ten innings and got the win.
I didn't stay for it all. It was the first season at Shea and they didn't have pay phones installed yet, so I couldn't call home. Good boy that I was, I worried that my mother would be worried so I left around the 15th inning, I think. I made it home (from Queens to Bklyn) in time to watch the ending at home.
Good fun and breezy write up today Rex. A nice Saturday puzzle as well - the exceptional (or at least above-average) thing about this one is that the clues don’t feel forced, or worse yet, intentionally deceptive. By this time, we’re all on the lookout for misdirections (and I still tip my hat when I fall for one and the constructor can say “gotcha !”) - but obvious, poorly conceived attempts at diversion are just plain groan-inducing - and fortunately, nowhere to be found in today’s grid.
The two long grid spanning downs had the potential to be really stellar - unfortunately, HOLLYWOOD “MOMENT” felt a bit forced, but they are still two really good Saturday answers.
Don't know what an Ice Palace is? I realize going to Lake Pacid from Binghamton in a NY state winter is unattractive, even hazardous, but try it next winter. You'll see one.
Also the other Ritz - TOASTEDS. Yum.
Interesting comments from the creator on xwordinfo (https://www.xwordinfo.com/Crossword?date=9/5/2026). He digs into this: "When I construct a crossword, one of my goals is to submit a high-quality original clue for each entry. If this sounds insane to you, I admit I felt pretty crazy myself when I read the proofs for this puzzle. Of the 72 clues I submitted, only 18 were kept verbatim, while 38 were changed all the way to a different cluing angle. So much of my effort wasted! Is the universe (i.e. the editorial team) sending me a sign to do something differently?"
I missed everybody yesterday.Two terrific puzzles, yesterday’s and today’s.🎈🎈🎊🎊
Very similar to my experience with the NYT editors. Cluing is the most time-comsuming part of building a puzzle for me They make a big deal out of using creative clues in their submission guidelines, then turn around and standardize everything.
Two minutes over average time today, so if you think this to be a cranky rant, blame that?
I thought Rex was a 1/2-star too generous; way too many clues in this genre:
"Slow down a second!"
"Keep on going!"
"The door's open!"
"Found you!"
"I can't catch a break!"
"(IT'LL) turn out fine"
"We're alike in that way" (who says that?)
Said this before, but if I'm the XW czar/tsar, you (constructors) get two per puzzle, one across and one down. And OHO atop OH ME was..."Oh no!".
ZESTA should have been clued as "Premium alternative", a more accurate cracker match and a nice misdirection for a Saturday. Also, it would have eliminated the minor clue duplication with 1A (Ritzy).
Had Kick before WASH ME; that brought a chuckle. Hand up for LET in before ON (the elevator); and tried Get in (i.e., as a car) for 68A before seeing the much more tepid ENTER (as a room) was correct. Hilarious reading about Rex's aptly-named yoga instructor, BENT/Bengt.
Anyone else think ALL THOSE AGAINST had an "Eat a Sandwich" vibe to it?
But really liked SCHMOOZE (especially at 1A), SHAKE ON IT (one of the few answers we got right with no or minimal crosses) and STEAL HOME.
As for the GENERAL ELECTION, it's now only two months away, mail-in ballots are starting to be distributed, and I am optimistic that state/local officials will, in the majority, withstand the illegal f*ckery we hear is being attempted by the Stephen Miller wing of the corrupt administration.
Less than half the time of yesterday's puzzle, so once again the days should have been switched. Or maybe the constructor's clues should have been kept.
Just saw Coyote vs. Acme yesterday, and loved it. And Wrath of Khan is coming to our local independent theater too!
Although commenting is working, it's still a little off. The box to enter comments is only about 30 characters wide, which is OK but looks funny.
Very cool looking grid today.
This always strikes me as odd. The idea that one hands in a puzzle and then the majority of clues are changed as if the constructors puzzle isn’t the play of the clue with the answer. Viewing the crossword as just the grid and the clues as the necessary things that get you there? I don’t know. A bad answer with a good clue can be better than vice versa
Town House crackers (original buttery flavor) were my Ritz alternatives. Saltines are in an entirely different food group.
I was about to accuse Rex of a Star Wars reference of his own, but then realized Wrath of Khan is Star Trek. I know they're nothing like each other, but I get the names confused.
On another topic, Rex you have to get out more. OH ME are the first two words of this song by Lonnie Donegan [I hope I embedded that correctly; the link to the instructions in Rex's FAQ is broken, but I found some other ones on the web.]
I thought it was the sambA that got danced during Carnival; and I've never seen nor heard of anyone putting TAR on his or her sail as opposed to his or her sailboat. OTOH I enjoyed the clue for OSLO. Somehow, when I'm running through the list of European monarchies, Norway is slow to come to mind--even though I had the terminal O from crosses.
Nothing but NOLTE in the NW so I wound up solving up from the bottom, a good idea as I ran into ARENTYOUSPECIAL right away, smile there. I didn't remember ZESTA from anywhere and actually needed SCHMOOZING to come up with it. Lots of nice long answers today and a dearth of names, yay. Didn't know CHLOE and did remember how to spell ALLELE eventually.
STEALHOME made me think of the Warren Zevon song "Bill Lee" and old favorite.
Really liked this one, FJ. Nice work. A Fine Job. Thanks for all the fun.
Bent coulda worked: Bent Fabric had a hit with “Alley Cat” in the early sixties.
Welp. I think I need to go back to bed and then get up on the “right side” of it, because I really enjoyed yesterday’s puzzle and found this one extremely annoying. I figure, given other comments that’s on me. But…I guess TIL that SCHMOOZING can merely be chit-chatting, and my -not so trusty- AI says this:
An informal chat or small talk. Today, it often implies networking or trying to win someone over for business or social favor. Opinions on Reddit are mixed, with some users noting it strictly as a networking tool, while others view it as warm, casual conversation.
Suffice it say that I always thought of SCHMOOZING as non-genuine chit-chat designed for winning favor or networking. And I loathe that.
Ditto on ZESTA. Please do not offer me a saltine cracker in lieu of a Ritz. I’d much prefer a Town House or Hi Ho, thank you. I’ll take a saltine if I have an upset stomach.
Sorry Fritz Juhnke…I hope the next time I work one of your puzzles I’m in a better mood!
The classic hateful short fill is the threes but there are only eight of them today. There are 26 fours, though, and they are pretty bad. But I liked the puzzle anyway. Even if unexciting.
Our supermarkets don't carry ZESTA. Nabisco Premium is the only saltine.
Liked ALTHOSEAGAINST. They do say nay.
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, The Wrath of Khan, Steel
Magnolias?!! Um, no self tespecting rep house would screen any of them.
Rep theaters show Lubitsch, Curtiz, Stevens, Ford.
Not Star Trk sequels
You’re fantastically wrong (love those old guys but rep houses play Everything, thank God)
I think I'm going to start calling these Colander Grids. Or maybe Meat Grinders, depending on how rough the going is. I enjoyed this puzzle, and yes, easier than yesterday's for me.
There was a 26-inning game in 1920 or so. Ended in a 1-1 tie.
If Rex mixes to Minnesota, he can look up the history of ice castles at the Winter Carnival.
lol Bro the Metrograph is playing Clash of the Titans AND Troy tomorrow. They’re also playing Wang Kar-wai and Almodovar. WTH are you talking about? We all love Ford and he’s a rep house fav but maybe leave your house once in a while and see what’s actually happening in the world. https://metrograph.com/nyc/
On my first pass all I had was NOLTE, but when I arrived at the bottom and began to work up, the skies cleared and I breezed through this. It was a really pleasant solve, not overly tricky, with long answers from the vernacular. I’m a fan, but I don’t think I would have run it on Saturday.
Well for me, two wonderful puzzles in a row. Today may have been one of my favorite Saturdays ever. Look at all those wonderful in-the-language spanners!
Opening up, my first impression was, "WHOATHERE, intimidating grid!" But the couple of quick gimmes, like NOLTE, BLEAT, and TALL were enough to get a toe hold to get everything moving.
Like @Rex, I loved how the puzzle wrapped up with STEALHOME and SHAKEONIT.
I have one aesthetic nit that is all me, but when I look at the great fill that was well clued-GENERALELECTION, it crosses with MAGMA and when I glance at it too quickly, I see *maga* which is depressing... Again, that's all on me.
As @Rex pointed out, the center had to suffer the littlest bit due to the gird design but it didn't bother me at all as the rest of the puzzle was so top notch.
No real hold ups today, like many others had LETiNbefore LETON but the cross of SOAMI was easy enough to correct that.
I also enjoyed all the double O's in the NW and W, that was fun. It added to the puzzles light, breezy vibe. Just perfect for sunny Saturday morning.
Fritz, this put a smile on my face, thanks for this!
And Jason and tge Argonauts.
I love Harryhausen as much as the next 10 year old, but, cone on, it’s silliness.
What an ignorant comment—look up the sked of literally any rep house and it’s brimming with all kinds of films, art house to blockbuster to whatever.
Trylon in mpls is showing MISERY followed by JE TU IL ELLE next week—now that’s range! https://www.trylon.org/calendar/
For the financially illiterate who are too lazy to google themselves:
A call option is a financial contract that gives the buyer the right, but not the obligation, to buy a stock or asset at a set price within a specific time. [1] (https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/calloption.asp)How a Call Option WorksStrike Price: The set price at which you can buy the underlying asset.Premium: The fee or cost paid to buy the option contract.Expiration Date: The deadline when the contract ends and becomes invalid.Contract Size: One standard options contract usually controls 100 shares. [1] (https://www.fidelity.com/learning-center/investment-products/options/call-options-basics), [2] (https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-ca/learn/what-is-call-option), [3] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_option), [4] (https://www.ruleoneinvesting.com/blog/options-trading/what-are-call-options/), [5] (https://www.schwab.com/learn/story/basic-call-and-put-options-strategies), [6] (https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/calloption.asp)Buying vs. Selling Call OptionsBuying (Going Long): You are bullish (expect the price to go up). Your maximum risk is the premium you paid, and your profit potential is unlimited if the stock climbs high. [1] (https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/calloption.asp)Selling (Writing): You take on the obligation to sell the stock if the buyer exercises their right. You collect the premium upfront, but face higher risk if the stock price spikes.
Galen Cisco pitched 9 for the Mets….
I had CALF instead of CALL as I thought they cleverly meant farm animals. What does CALL refer to in this context?
I also didn't know LAME or ALLELE. So this was a DNF for me, first in a couple weeks.
Fathom gets some credit too
Some clothing has adornments (decals, sequins and the like) that will be damaged by the heat of an iron.
The Saturday puzzle I've been waiting days (weeks, months?) for. Loved POM. Only WOE was LONG E. Is anyone home at the NYT that reads this blog?
Thank you, Fritz :)
Can you remind me what the answer to the squirrels thermoregulating clue was?
Saranac Lake also puts up a pretty impressive one. I had ICE castle/capade/PALACE
I went to see Coyote vs Acme (in which I surprisingly teared up?!?!?). Lots of fun, and they were able to make me laugh at those same old gags.
While searching for times, I hit the movies showing button to get to it, and saw the really long list of upcoming repertory films to my surprise. If the price is right, it could be a good way to give these films great-and-not-so-great an extended life other than cable and streaming.
I've had the sense that there are fewer clues that really make me think outside of the box or have an original voice; this could explain it. I would love it if we had access to some "edited only for corrections" version that preserves more of a unique constructor voice.
This could also explain why you see many more familiar veteran constructor names at other outlets...
Yo Son, see my Rory retort to your Rory re-link yesterday
Good memories, @Liveprof!
The Red Sox ("my" team) were almost as inept in the early sixties, but never lost 120 games as the Mets did that first year (even with legendary Casey Stengel as their manager), a record only recently surpassed by the (pre-Pope Leo, notably) White Sox in 2024.
Alas, for us old-timers, no more pitchers going 10 innings, and slim odds of a game coming close to 23 (or 26) innings, with the "ghost runner".
Loved seeing the names Orlando Cepeda and Gaylord Perry; I'm sure my brothers and I had their baseball cards.
Did anyone else confidently write CADDY as the last sound of “The Sound and the Fury”? As in, what Benjy hears the golfers yelling on the golf course that used to be their farm, at the end?
The phrase is HALLMARKMOMENT. The constructors conflating of that with HOLLYWOODENDING is more of the same desperation he showed in filling that unsightly checkerboard center.
For at least three weeks in a row we've had this recurring pattern of challenging colorful Fridays followed by very mid Saturdays.
Six years of playing Spelling Bee made ALLELE as obvious as NOLTE.
There's a very long winded constructor's comment in today's xwordinfo concerning the contrutor,s original clues as opposed to those of the editor. . Apparently today's cluing is largely the result of the editor. My guess is they were trying to make up for the dreadful fill. I don't think they succeeded.
You may be alone on this (creative) one;)
Considerably easier than yesterday‘s which I found a tad unpleasant. Thought I was going to finish it cleanly but ended up needing a cheat on the fashion label and the Emerson quote in order to finish up in the northwest.
I thought ZESTA was an odd choice as an alternative to Ritz crackers. It’s just a brand of saltine, and not a very good one in my opinion. I would buy a store label before I would buy Zesta. But [sigh] I suppose it’s close enough for crosswords. I also join RP’s lament at the loss of good old Hi Ho’s. Like the Hydrox cookies, they were so much tastier and less expensive too.
I desperately wanted BLESS YOUR HEART as the answer to 63 across. The perfect response to that clue but just one letter shy. What a shame.
Norwegians actually voted (in the 20th century) to have a monarchy. They seem to be having some second thoughts nowadays, though, as the new king’s stepson is a convicted rapist.
You explained perfectly why I didn’t look it up.
I was a year older than you, Liveprof, when I attended that marathon Mets-Giants Sunday doubleheader. I left in the 15th inning because I had school the next day, taking the subway back to Brooklyn. When I got home I turned on the TV and to my amazement the game was still not over. And of course the Mets wound up losing. Again.
This was one of the fastest Saturdays ever for me: 11.5 minutes! Just zoomed through it with no mistakes and no typeovers I can remember. And we had some OH ME stuff again!
Well, it feels like summer is suddenly over here. Cloudy, showers, highs in the teens Celsius (low 60s F) instead of 30s (~90 F). At least the smoke is mostly gone!
[Also, saved my unsuccessful comment from yesterday, edited: Friday's puzzle:
This was about perfect difficulty for me. Challenging but not "help me" frustrating. Lots of typeovers: SLINKY JIM before SLINKY DOG, VIDEO GAMES before ATARI GAMES, SLAY before SLAP, CLEF before SLUR, DROWSY before DRAGGY. And some really baffling clues, like "Gun before the green"... a grass green?]
I first thought Kodak moment.
Easy and much easier than yesterday’s.
CHLOE was it for WOEs.
Costly erasures - aHa before OHO, me too for moOn before LION, and ceo before MBA.
No junk, a wee bit of sparkle, liked it.
I figured E-READER was the answer to 8D but it didn't go with HI-HO'S, the cracker I considered the alternative to Ritz. So I ran over to the NE to get my start with MBA crossing BLEAT (cute clue.)
I had to get a HOLLYWOOD MOMENT before I could finish the NW, the tough spot for me today.
Thanks, Fritz Juhnke.
Zesti + Ah Me = Raid …
It was the 7/25/25 nytxw, and the answer was (but don't keep reading if you're like me and might go back to re-solve the previous puzzle): heatwave.
Anonymous 6:02 AM
Jacob is right about Hydrox being first and once being more popular than Oreo
I think it’s interesting historical info. Perhaps he could make the opposite comment about your business background. I don’t care about these companies but I do care about the fact the advertisers in the post war era made children’s eating habits much worse, causing a major obesity problem. The
Very easy. Nearly my best time ever on a Saturday puzzle.
One nit to pick: CALLs exist in the options market, not the stock market.
Different locations, different regulators, just very different things.
Yup. It was called on account of darkness. Each pitcher went the whole 26 innings.
Really interesting constructor's note today. While it's not the first time we've heard about extensive clue revisions by the editors, it's probably the most in-depth reflection on the issue. And it's certainly consistent with my impression that Saturday cluing has become more pedestrian over time.
I agree with Anonymous 11:37 AM
The clue for CALL covers also PUTS. I happened to have read the terms over the years in the Times financial section I have a general idea they a stock plays betting on the price of a particular stock, up or down, in this future. These types of stock plays should only be done by about 1% or less of investors. (Over the years, many have gone bankrupt from a wrong guess) So the details are useless to most and in no way part of financial literacy for the general public. A recitation of the definition does show an access to an AI site
Liked the #-motif of puzgrid spanners. Not too hard, for a SatPuz solvequest, at our house.
staff weeject pick [of a mere 8 choices]: POM. Cute doggie clue.
some faves: MATT clue [one of my first puzgrid entries, along with NOLTE & SWANK]. SCHMOOZED. WHOATHERE. COOTIES. ARENTYOUSPECIAL. LONGE clue.
Thanx for the themeless fun, Mr. Juhnke dude. Good job.
Masked & Anonymo3Us
p.s.
Runt puzzle:
**gruntz**
M&A
tried "horsewhisperer" for nay sayers and thought I was out-clevering the saturday (any other day would clearly require a ?). Nope!
I found this to be very hard in the NW. SWANK with no Y, ZESTA (I had and have no idea what this was), and MATT with some easy to make mistakes: like "STOP THERE", and Journey as a BAND, so to speak, left me staring for a long time.
Confidently put in TERN and REDDING for 30D and 40A. Took awhile to straighten this out!
IiCE PALACE
I was aT little surprised Rex had never heard of them. (Not that I have actually seen one!). Apparently, palace & castle are used interchangeably. Also I have read about ice hotels with paying overnight customers. Temporary structures of course. They are erected annually in Quebec.
Gotta say I kinda liked this … mostly. While GENERAL ELECTION was pretty dull, things like SCHMOOZED, WHOA THERE, and AREN’T YOU SPECIAL sparkled. And HOLLYWOOD MOMENT really exists and it is just what the clue says it is. Unlike @Rex, I don’t think I’ve used the term HOLLYWOOD ending in my life. And what does that actually mean? Is that when the good guys win? Or when, against all odds, true love prevails and the two leads get married with lots of soppy music? While I enjoy the occasional HOLLYWOOD MOMENT, I generally despise Hollywood endings.
But let’s talk about crackers. Ritz is a brand that is available here in the true north strong and free. They were one of my faves as a kid. But I’ve never seen a ZESTA. They look a lot like Premium crackers. These two, ZESTA and Premium, differ from Ritz in that they are essentially vehicles for other good things. Maybe paté, maybe a little Delice de Bourgogne, or how about peanut butter. Ritz are like the Doritos of crackerdom; all powdered cheese analogue and salt; you just consume them plain. Maybe with a sour cream-based dip. So, as far as alternatives go, Zesta is to Ritz as a peice of toast is to bruschetta.
This stuff about rep theatres reminds me of my time as an undergrad at UVic in the early seventies. A friend of mine ran the film society that screened movies on a weekly basis. Yes we ran noir films and Ford classics, but we also ran Bertolucci and Truffaut and one day me and my girlfriend (future wife) showed up to assist with the screening of Deep Throat (Michael was pretty adventurous in his choices) only to find that our duties that evening included spiriting away film reels because the local police had threatened to raid the theatre because we were showing porn. So, instead of taking tickets and seating people, we volunteers were stationed in the projection booth in order to take the reels that had run and carry them off to secret locations. This was because the distributor had warned us that if the police seized the film, we would be financially responsible.
We didn’t have any money, but we had a dedicated crew of volunteers. I personally secreted two reels in the trunk of my car, two parking lots away. So I missed a lot of the movie. I did see a bit and it looked like fun. The one line I remember was, “Do you mind if I eat while you smoke?” If you’ve seen it, you’ll remember it.
Next morning we met in a shopping centre parking lot, counted the reels, boxed them, and shipped them back. Felt like a HOLLYWOOD MOMENT.
Enjoyed this puzzle - I solved from the bottom up and found the NW hardest because cracker and fashion house! TIL HOLLYWOODMOMENT. I thought some of the short fill was clever and useful. Great write up, Rex
Re Norwegian monarchy comment above: our president is not a saint!
Mike D
Someone posted a way too detailed definition earlier. A CALL is a type of stock play (option) where you are betting on a particular company’s stock value as of a future date. (I think).
oh me ? oh ziggy.
Ice Palace was part of the St. Paul Winter Carnival for decades in Minnesota. What else to do in winter but build a castle out of lake ice!
Would you mail in a winning lottery ticket?
puzzlehoarder
About Hollywood Moment
According to Google (not AI) several sites report that it is a term that has been around since the early days of Hollywood Hollywood ending is an unrelated term from those criticizing the always happy Hollywood endings. Kodak moment came from a 1980’s Kodak ad campaign, long after Hollywood moment arose I don’t see conflating
I don't think heavy NYTXW clue editing is anything new. When I first tried constructing in the late aughts, I got the impression that getting 50% of your original clues accepted was the benchmark to shoot for.
I'm not sure exactly what a HOLLYWOOD MOMENT would be. And at first, I was flummoxed by MASSE MAIL. D'oh!
When I saw "California city bisected by Interstate 5" at
40A, I thought of Tom Petty's "It's a long day living in RESEDA, there's a freeway running through the yard" from his song "Free Fallin'".
Yeah, claustrophobic comment box.
I agree
A lot easier than yesterday. I dnf’d in the NW yesterday to boot. I liked both puzzles though.
Interesting discussion of schmoozed
I looked it up.
As I knew it is of Yiddish origin.
meaning chat. First appeared in written English 1897. Chat is listed as the first definition in English dictionaries online. The ingratiating connotation came later. So in this case, the editors who wrote most of the clues, looked it up and took the first definition. Close enough for crosswords, I think. It doesn’t bother me b
The ZESTA/Ritz clue is very odd IMO, because Ritz is not a good parallel, and it's totally unneeded to have a specific brand name in there at all. And there's a kind-of dupe with Ritzy.
Ah me :{
Slowed down by ALAMEDA for ANAHEIM and GRAND for SWANK. Somehow challenging without being fun.
Thank you Rex. My wife was extremely upset at Zesta being an alternative to Ritz. I told her not to worry that you’d have what to say about it. Thank you for coming through.
I mean, Townhouse crackers are pretty Ritzy. Just a different shape.
If only Rex had some connection to Minnesota 🙄🤣🤣🤣
Mayville, NY had a nice ICE castle (not PALACE) built for WinterFest last February. I passed by there last week and it wasn’t there anymore.
While I agree that saltines are not an alternative to Ritz crackers (Townhouse are the sub for Ritz), Zesta are very good crackers. They are good by themselves, crumbled into tomato soup, or with a variety of toppings like cheese or peanut butter or (surprisingly) nutella.
Rachel dratch created this puzzle with some help Check her ig page where she talks abt it
Despite the fact that I live in a vegetarian household that consumes significant quantities of fake meat, this is somehow my first time encountering INCOGMEATO.
Enjoyed the theme, but the name soup started rubbing me the wrong way (IOMMI was the icing on that cake). Still, this was one of the most interesting Sunday puzzles in recent memory, so I’ll take it.
I am getting darned tired of EREADER, I gotta tell ya
Post a Comment