Big letters in home security / MON 9-21-26 / Leader of an 1831 revolt against slavery / Album for which Kendrick Lamar won a Pulitzer Prize / Hardwood whose bark is sometimes used as paper / Simple two-player card game / Sometimes-floral organic compound / People of SW Britain

Monday, September 21, 2026

Constructor: Alexander Liebeskind

Relative difficulty: Easy (solved Downs-only)


THEME: FORTIES (39A: Decade of W.W. II ... or a homophonic hint to 17-, 23-, 50- and 57-Across) — four-word phrases where each word starts with "T"

Theme answers:
  • TOO TIRED TO THINK (17A: Mentally pooped)
  • TEACH TO THE TEST (23A: Deliberately give instruction in a way that targets an exam)
  • TO TELL THE TRUTH (50A: "If I'm being honest ...")
  • TAKES TWO TO TANGO (57A: "A fight requires more than one person")

Word of the Day: DAMN(14A: Album for which Kendrick Lamar won a Pulitzer Prize) —

Damn (stylized as DAMN.) is the fourth studio album by the American rapper Kendrick Lamar, released on April 14, 2017, by Top Dawg Entertainment, Aftermath Entertainment, and Interscope Records. Lamar assembled numerous artists and producers to create the album, including executive producer and Top Dawg Entertainment label head Anthony "Top Dawg" Tiffith, Sounwave, DJ Dahi, Mike Will Made It, and Ricci Riera, as well as further production contributions from James Blake, Steve Lacy, BadBadNotGood, Greg Kurstin, the Alchemist, and 9th Wonder, among others. It features guest appearances from Rihanna, Zacari, and U2.

The album has been categorized as conscious hip-hop, but also incorporates elements of trap, contemporary R&B, and pop. Prior to the album's release, Lamar released a promotional single, "The Heart Part 4". In the months that followed, Lamar released three singles from the album; "Humble" was released in March 2017, "Loyalty" in June 2017, and "Love" in October 2017, the first of which became Lamar's first number-one single on the US Billboard Hot 100 as a lead artist.

Damn received widespread acclaim from critics, with many naming the album one of the best albums of 2017 and the decade. The album topped the US Billboard 200 with 603,000 album-equivalent units earned in its first week and topped the chart of Canada while reaching number two in Australia, Belgium, Denmark, Ireland, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. It has since been certified triple platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) in May 2018 and was the Billboard Year-End number one album of 2017. The album earned Lamar the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for Music, the first time an artist outside of the classical and jazz genres received the honor. It also earned the Best Rap Album at the 2018 Grammy Awards. In 2020, Damn was ranked 175th on Rolling Stone's updated list of "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time". (wikipedia)

• • •

I know what the puzzle means by FORTIES ("four tees")—each phrase has four words and each word in that phrase starts with "T"—but the fact that two of these theme answers actually have five "T"s really puts this puzzle in the D.O.A. category for me. Your revealer clue says that it's a "homophonic hint" to the theme answers, but it is literally inaccurate. I guess "hint" is supposed to give the puzzle some latitude, but "four tees" is what the puzzle is telling me and "four tees" is just wrong. Factually wrong. So there's that. There's a lot of word repetition in the theme (four "TO"s, two "THE"s), but that's probably to be expected with commonish phrases. I don't think TAKES TWO TO TANGO works (well) without the "IT" at the beginning; the clue is a complete sentence, so the answer should be also. But this is a lesser problem than the five-"T" problem. The theme answers are all solid phrases, and the revealer has the requisite simple-punniness that is usually all a Monday puzzle requires. But the execution, as I say, feels fumbled. Even the clue on the revealer feels phoned-in. First of all, if you're referring to the decade, it's The FORTIES. And second ... that's all you've got for (The) FORTIES—that WWII happened then? Yes, it's the defining event of the (first half of the) decade, but [Decade of W.W. II] still feels unimaginative (also, WAR is already in the grid). And then there's the fill, which is pretty rough throughout. I love NAT TURNER as an answer (35D: Leader of an 1831 revolt against slavery), but that's offset (for me) by "I'M ON A DIET"—I find the whole idea of not eating because you're "on a diet" depressing. Actually, it's the whole diet industry that is so off-putting to me. Predatory. Plus, "going on a diet" doesn't really work. So ... with the long answers canceling each other out, quality-wise, there's just the short fill, which is full of stuff it seems like you'd try Very Hard to keep out of any puzzle, esp. an easy early-week grid: ADT, GAIUS, EIRE, SES, OAKEN, O'ER, NENES, ETAT. Not a big fan of DEE, ESTER, XES, NAM, or RADIO AD, either, and without a Bill Withers clue, "USE ME" is also suboptimal.


The Downs-only solve was thorny only in a couple of spots. First, ADT, which are letters I know from seeing them on signs in front of some houses, but they aren't letters I can remember (clearly) (1D: Big letters in home security). That coupled with the difficulty of parsing "I'M ON A DIET" made the NW a little tricky. Had a little more trouble in the middle, where all I wanted for [N.Y.C. subway letters] was IRT or BQE [update—BQE has zero to do with the subway, just three letter related to NYC transportation]. MTA applies to more than the subway, so it didn't occur to me. And right next door, BIRCH was not a wood I could come up with easily, not with that clue (33D: Hardwood whose bark is sometimes used as paper). And right next door to that, there was EIRE, which I had as ERIN because of course I did, classic kealoa*. The last trouble spot was where I finished up, in the SW. Specifically, EXTREME was hard for me to see from its clue (43D: Like skydiving or cliff-diving). EXTREME compared to what? As an adjective modifying "sport," it might be apt, but just calling those activities "EXTREME" seems really vague. So I needed all the surrounding answers before I was finally able to see it. But I was never really in danger of getting stuck-stuck today. 


Bullets:
  • 14A: Album for which Kendrick Lamar won a Pulitzer Prize (DAMN.)  — damn, that's a pretty advanced clue for a Monday. I never saw it, of course, but I love it ... I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say that for many regular solvers, that answer was probably not a gimme.
  • 11D: First name of Julius Caesar (GAIUS) — another name that was probably not a gimme for many. This one I knew, but I should know it. I mean, I just (literally just) taught the end of Inferno, the bottom of hell, where Satan is eternally chewing not only on Judas, but also on Brutus and Cassius—two of the leaders in the plot to assassinate ... Julius Caesar (Cassius's first name: also GAIUS). I don't think Dante uses the name GAIUS, but I had enough classical Latin during grad school that somehow GAIUS stuck. It's not a name I'd use in a puzzle unless I really needed it.
  • 5D: Simple two-player card game (WAR) — UNO flickered across my mind, but only because it's a three-letter card game. WAR is much more definitively "two-player."
  • 66A: Spanish babies (NENES) — also, Hawaiian gooses. Sorry, geeses.
  • 37D: People of SW Britain (WELSH) — first thought: CORNISH. Didn't fit. Here, in red, is Cornwall, which, as you can see, is even souther and wester than Wales.

That's all for today. See you next time.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

P.S. Happy Earth, Wind & Fire Day, which also means: Happy Birthday to my best friend, Shaun. We met in the first weeks of grad school and ... yeah, changed my life. Instant lifelong friend. Thirty-five years now. Such a weird, rare thing. Can't wait to see Stevie Wonder with her (and our spouses) in December, in Detroit, at The Fox, where we saw him on New Year's Eve thirty-two years ago. But for today, we'll stick with Earth, Wind & Fire 🔥

["Do you remember...?"]


*kealoa = a pair of words (normally short, common answers) that can be clued identically and that share at least one letter in common (in the same position). These are answers you can't just fill in quickly because two or more answers are viable, Even With One or More Letters In Place. From the classic [Mauna ___] KEA/LOA conundrum. See also, e.g. [Heaps] => ATON or ALOT, ["Git!"] => "SHOO" or "SCAT," etc. 


[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

15 comments:

Lewis 6:07 AM  

My five favorite original clues from last week
(in order of appearance):

1. Fall or fell (6)
2. It's not a full stop (9)
3. Element of a dating profile? (4)(4)
4. Permanent, perhaps (2)(3)
5. One can be felt (4)(5)


TOPPLE
SEMICOLON
TREE RING
IN PEN
GAME TABLE

Lewis 6:08 AM  

My favorite encore clues from last week:

[Two in a row?] (4)
[Water containers] (4)


FOES
DAMS

Adam 6:22 AM  

BQE?! @Rex, the subway consists of the IRT (Interborough Rapid Transit), the IND (the Independent Subway System) and the BMT (Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit). The Brooklyn-Queens Expressway has nothing to do with the MTA, other than that they're both old and in need of repair.

Conrad 6:24 AM  


I nearly DNF'd (on a Monday!) because as I filled in 11D I confidently wrote cAIUS, thinking, "How do I know that?" Somehow, PAcES for 9A looked okay to me. When I didn't get the happy music, I assumed the problem was NENE (66A) because isn't the Spanish word for baby something like Nino/a? No, it's not.

BTW, @Rex: The BQE is the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, definitely not subway-related. You were probably thinking of the BMT.

feinstee 6:30 AM  

Very sloppy. Also adding to the list... XES at 46A, when you have ___-X at 45A. Plenty of other key combinations to get "CTRL"

Anonymous 6:43 AM  

Being on a diet can be a perfectly normal and healthy choice - by referring to it as flatly "unhealthy", Rex is seemingly associating being on a diet with having some kind of eating disorder. Body positivity doesn't have to mean stigmatising personal choices about someone's lifestyle or assuming something negative.

EasyEd 6:46 AM  

Aww, c’mon Rex, three begins with a “T” too. I think you were a bit tough on the constructor for throwing in a few extra “T”’s. But you are also correct so there’s that. I liked having long answers so in the language that I could fill in from only two or three crosses…Anyway, many story today is ADT, who were once the General Motors of the home security industry. I was paying about $50/month and wanted to add internet access to my system and they asked for another $15/month. That seemed a bit much and some quick research located a growing new company the would provide full security service via the internet for $15 total! When I pointed this out to the local ADT rep he became incensed at my questioning the ADT charges. Somehow ADT has survived but like General Motors have surrendered a lot of the market they once had. Sic transit gloria, as Gaius might have said.

Anonymous 6:48 AM  

Downs only finish! I also had IRT first, but the ERIN/EIRE kealoa held me up the longest. Good way to start the week!

Beezer 6:51 AM  

Wow. I can’t remember ever posting when I see only ONE comment (@Lewis) but I suspect I’m in a queue for release.
I liked this puzzle a lot more than Rex…the extra tee in TRUTH didn’t bother me and I thought the theme was appropriately Monday level. I am not a “diet person” but as clued here, I just think of it as turning down dessert, so the clue didn’t sadden me.
Loved the Earth, Wind, and Fire link. Anything from that band can put a smile on my face.

Anonymous 7:03 AM  

I guess for me I'd give it the pass, guessing that they are focused on the initial letters of 4 words--4 words that start with T. Sure there will be more Ts in the other parts of those words.... hard to avoid Ts, since they're the most common consonant! I liked this. Found it medium-challenging for the downs only solve.... Had the same trouble as @REX around EXTREME, and then the R mid-section. Saw TRU__ and figured it was TRUst; Somehow I just didn't think of Wales in there at all for a long time, and __LSt looked real ugly. Took EGRET out and put it back about 5 times--figured it could be a heron but TRUN_ could only have been TRUnk..... TOTELLTHETRUnk???? Anyhoo, fun puzzle, liked it way more than @OFL (*** from me). Thanks, Alexander! : )

Lewis 7:07 AM  

These are the Times That Try men’s souls, and to deal with it, I do silly things, like Tiptoe Through The Tulips, enjoy some liquid refreshment (There is a Tavern in The Town), play with an old toy (because They don’t make Them like They used To), get caught up into The Talk of The Town, and get good rest – Thank The Lord for The night Time. Oh, for me, just some of The Tricks of The Trade.

Son Volt 7:09 AM  

The big guy nails it today - the theme is clearly understood but the extraneous Ts present an inelegance that doesn’t sit well. I get it - probably difficult to come up with 14s and 15s that meet the spec - but the additional Ts are disjoint to the revealer - speaking of which is what we used to drink at the park when we were 16.

Looking For LEWIS and Clark

Rex summarizes the strained fill nicely. There’s a lot of glue and gunk - constructor went all in on the theme and the resultant entries suffer.

Rough start to the solving week.

Bill Morrissey

RooMonster 7:19 AM  

Hey All !
Funny, didn't notice the five T's in two of the Themers. It can be lawyered that the "FORTIES" applies to just the beginning letter of each Themer, ergo making extraneous T's not a big deal. Also would've been neat had there been no other T's in the puz (well, you'd have one in FORTIES, obviously.)

We get The Typical Tirade Today by Rex. (Well, not really, that just worked with the T's!) I can see his point on some issues.

Now we need a Four-F puz ...

@LEWIS gets a point today! I have slacked off on my Year Name Count, though. It started just by keeping track of ROOs and PABLOs (plus his extras, as PABLO in a grid is quite rare), but started to include others whose names popped up. I don't have a complete list (I know I missed a name or two here and there), but I have LEWIS as one point total. I'll do better in 2027. 😁

Tyrannosaurus Traipsed Through Trees. Put that in a grid and smoke it!

Hope y'all have a great Monday!

One F
RooMonster
DarrinV

Andy Freude 7:23 AM  

Rex is probably right about DAMN., but my imaginary Venn diagram of the people who know and care about Kendrick Lamar and the people who know and care about the Pulitzer Prizes has large non-overlapping areas, so I’d guess there are a lot of folks who can get to that answer one way or the other.

Lewis 7:32 AM  

I thought [Paves the way?] was a clever clue for TARS, and I liked the PuzzPair© of TEASE and COMB. I loved the lively theme answers.

I was impressed with how tight the theme was – four-word-common-phrase with all those words starting with T, and all in 15 letters or less. I like that for some reason when I’ve been looking at RADIOAD in the grid, what my brain first sees is RADIOHEAD.

But the best thing for me was that I left the revealer blank, didn’t read its clue, filled in the rest of the grid, and … and … I figured out what it was! This is a skill I am so woeful at and practically never get, so when it does happen it is actually a thrill, I have to say.

So instead of stepping into my day today, I bounded into it. Thank you for that, and for a most enjoyable solve, Alexander!

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP