Fortified wine from Spain / SUN 9-20-26 / Island containing Kiribati's capital / Move fast, as a cloud / Burnable bog stuff / Violinmaker of Cremona / Sitcom character from Melmac / Old-timey teacher / Main squeeze, in newer slang / Online forum qualifiers such as /j ("joking") and /s ("sarcastic")
Sunday, September 20, 2026
Constructor: Tracy Gray
Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium
Theme answers:
- SWEET TWOFOUR (Sweet Sixteen) (25A: With 23-Across, March Madness tournament round)
- WHOLE THREETWO YARDS (Whole nine yards) (37A: With 34-Across, full extent of something)
- "WHEN I'M FOURTHREE" ("When I'm Sixty-Four") (64A: With 62-Across, Beatles classic with the lyric "Will you still need me / Will you still feed me")
- "THANKS A TENSIX" (Thanks a million) (78A: With 75-Across, "So very appreciated!")
- NINEZERO-ARMED BANDIT (One-armed bandit) (101A: With 97-Across, Vegas casino machine)
Manzanilla is a fortified wine similar to fino sherry made in the port of Sanlúcar de Barrameda, in the province of Cádiz, Andalusia (Spain), and is produced under the Spanish Denominación de Origen Protegida (DOP) of Manzanilla-Sanlúcar de Barrameda DOP. In Spanish, a chamomile infusion is called "manzanilla"—this wine gets its name because the wine's aroma is said to be reminiscent of such an infusion.
Manzanilla is manufactured using the same methods as a fino sherry and results in a very pale, dry wine. It is often described as having a savoury and salty flavour, believed to develop from the chalky soil near the sea estuary of the Guadalquivir river. Sanlúcar de Barrameda's cool temperatures and high humidity contribute to a higher yield of flor yeast than in Jerez or El Puerto de Santa María. The thicker cap of flor better protects the wine from contact with the air, resulting in a fresher, more delicate flavour than a fino from Jerez. It is typically aged for three to five years in a solera, but some types may be aged longer. (wikipedia)
![]() |
| [101A] |
Only one thing in the grid I really didn't know today, and it made me make a face. I may still be making the face. The answer in question is TONE TAGS (4D: Online forum qualifiers such as /j ("joking") and /s ("sarcastic")). I did not know those had a name, and also ... I assumed the forward slash functioned the same way it does in HTML, where it basically closes or ends whatever function had been going on. Like, you bold text with <b> the text you want bolded </b>. The "</b>" is a closing tag. I've frequently seen "/sarcasm" in posts. I assumed the "/" functioned like "end." (so "/sarcasm" would be "end sarcasm"). I have never seen these hyper-abbreviated "/s" or "/j" examples, but then again, I am in "online forums" (fora) virtually never. I had TONE TA- and honestly thought the answer was TONE TALK. In a grid that is otherwise laden with pretty old names and fill, TONE TAGS stands out as a real anomaly. Something software would suggest. I don't dispute that TONE TAGS are real things. I just contend that the phrase is ugly, and today, wildly outlierish in its contemporariness.
Bullets:
- 14D: Island containing Kiribati's capital (TARAWA) — looks like this is an atoll that is (was?) famous because of a WWII battle (the Battle of TARAWA, surprisingly enough). It sounds ... gruesome.
- 45A: Defensive player who keeps an eye on the QB, in football lingo (SPY) — I had the "S" and tried to make SAF (safety?) happen.
- 131A: Move fast, as a cloud (SCUD) — I wrote in SCUT, another ugly word that means something totally different (either "the short, erect tail (as of a hare)" (merriam-webster.com) or "routine or tedious work" (thefreedictionary.com). Hard to imagine describing anything as "scudding" and being taken seriously. Then again, I guess the “Move fast” definition beats the only other definition of SCUD that I know (the missile definition, which anyone who was alive for the first Gulf War knows all too well).
- 17D: Feminine pronoun in Florence (ESSA) — Italian pronouns: not my specialty, apparently. I wanted ELLA here (that's a Spanish feminine pronoun, I believe). ELLA is also my daughter's name, but that's neither here nor there.
- 36D: With nary a chance (NO HOW) — making another quaintness-induced grimacey face. I should say that "nary" sounds quaint / twee, whereas NO HOW just sounds like standard slang. People who say "nary a" probably also say "methinks." There's a put-on-ness about it that sets my teeth on edge.
- 85D: Old-timey teacher (MARM) — MARMs probably say "nary a [whatever]"
- 82D: Main squeeze, in newer slang (BAE) — "newer"??? Well, that's a new(er) one. It's vague enough that it could mean virtually anything. Newer than what (besides "main squeeze," that is)?
- 109D: Kind of insurance for bridges (DENTAL) — this one fooled me for a while. I have had root canals and crowns, but I have yet to have a bridge installed in my mouth. Things to look forward to...
That's all for today. Before I go, I just want to say a few words about the WFMU "Words Are For Crossing" crossword meet-up / fundraiser I got to be a part of this past Thursday. I've been listening to WFMU for about four years now—I discovered it by accident after Ronnie Spector died and a friend posted a link to a tribute show hosted by DJ Sheila B, and I got addicted to her show ("Sophisticated Boom Boom"), and then from there discovered other shows, including "The Evan 'Funk' Davies Show." Unbeknownst to me, while I was listening to Evan's show every week, Evan (a regular NYTXW solver) was reading my blog every day. Since WFMU hosts community / fund-raising events regularly in its space downstairs, Evan got it into his head to do a crossword meet-up. He knew me, and he knew longtime NYTXW constructor Gary Cee from when they worked at the NYU radio station in college, and so he pitched this meet-up idea where people would come and solve custom-made WFUM-related puzzles and just ... hang out. Solve the puzzles, talk about the puzzles, eat Oreos, listen to ENO ONO etc. Something smallish and very chill. It sounded fun, and I wanted to meet Evan and visit WFMU anyway, so I was in.Dental bridges replace missing teeth. They can restore chewing function, enhance your appearance and improve your oral health. A dental bridge consists of crowns (that fit over your natural teeth on either side of the space) and artificial teeth (that “bridge the gap” in your smile). (The Cleveland Clinic)
![]() |
| [Beth, me, Rebekah; not pictured, but there in spirit: Allie] |
Registration for the Boswords 2026 Fall Themeless League is open! This 10-week event starts with a Preseason puzzle on Monday, September 28 and features weekly themeless puzzles -- clued at three levels of difficulty -- from an all-star roster of constructors and are edited by Brad Wilber. To register, to solve a practice puzzle, to view the constructor line-up, and to learn more, go to www.boswords.org.Like most people I've met in the world of crosswords, John is a very nice guy, and he runs a very well-loved tournament, so if you're a regular solver who's tournament-curious, give it a shot. This year's Fall constructor roster is *stacked*! Erik Agard, Ryan McCarty, Zhou Zhang, Rebecca Goldstein, Patti Varol, Rachel Fabi ... and many more. Honestly, top-tier. I can't wait to do these puzzles.
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:
- Pop Sensation (vintage paperbacks)





















5 comments:
Sensational concept, with a theme that practically guarantees a terrific aha, with enough resistance to fully engage the brain, and yet, enough openings to make this thing gettable.
What a build! The perfect up-and-to-the-right placement of the exponents. The long theme answers all symmetrical.
Those long theme answers keep the mood light as well. NINE-ARMED BANDIT. WHOLE THREE YARDS. THANKS A TEN. Hah!
And the little brilliant flashes. That clue for ADMAN, for instance – [One who might have perfect pitch]. Here’s an answer that’s shown up in Crosslandia about 100 times, but never before today clued with this angle.
Plus, interesting tidbits, such as L. Frank Baum’s filing cabinet, or a state that has only three counties.
Just a high-quality puzzle, made by a pro. So many lovely and impressive touches in this one, Tracy. It made for a splendid outing. Thank you!
Easy. Got the theme right away and encountered no resistance after that, but more a slog than a whoosh. Cluing was very straightforward, mostly wordplay-free).
* * _ _ _
Overwrites:
Since I'm more familiar with Spanish than Italian (but not fluent in either), I had EllA before ESSA for the feminine pronoun at 17D.
At first I thought 25A/23A might be SWEET six/teen, but no. SWEET TWO/FOUR was immediately obvious once I started filling in the North box.
NO way before NO HOW for nary a chance at 36D.
Guessed wrong on the 50/50 at 117D: AVer before AVOW.
WOEs:
Online qualifiers TONE TAGS at 4D.
At 14D, Kiribati's capital island TARAWA
The brainlike fruit OSAGE orange (71A).
Is LOCAL ADS (127A) a thing people say? Sounds kinda green paint-ish to me.
Never understood people who insist on adding "/s" (or, worse, presume to tell others that "you forgot the "/s")
If you have to tell people it is sarcasm, then it's no longer sarcasm.
In addition, I find that what so many label as sarcasm online is actually satire. It's worth noting the difference.
I had a very fun time with this puzzle! I thought the theme was clever, and I love that it started with the trickiest one (FOUR making me think THEFINAL would be the answer for 25-across) and ended with the silliest one. I also learned learned a couple things (Buck ONEIL and TARAWA), which is always a plus!
Good thing they both start with S, then.
Post a Comment