Feature of "rendezvous" and "laissez-faire" / TUE 9-22-26 / Beetle amulet in ancient Egypt / Spy's identifier / Popular times for tacos / "Demon Slayer" or "Attack on Titan"

Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Constructor: Erik Agard

Relative difficulty: Easy

[2D: ___-Wan Kenobi]


THEME: SONGS IN / THE KEY OF LIFE (50A: With 52-Across, double album released on September 28, 1976, that spent 13 straight weeks at #1) — ❤️❤️❤️🎡🎡🎡❤️❤️❤️ An anniversary tribute to a classic double album by STEVIE WONDER (19A: 50/52-Across musician):

#1 songs:
  • "SIR DUKE" (21A: #1 hit from 50/52-Across ("You can feel it all over")
  • "I WISH" (37A: #1 hit from 50/52-Across ("Why did those days ever have to go?")
Word of the Day: SONGS IN / THE KEY OF LIFE (50A) —

Songs in the Key of Life is the eighteenth studio album by the American singer, songwriter and musician Stevie Wonder. A triple album, it was released on September 28, 1976, by Tamla Records, a division of Motown. The album is regarded as the culmination of Wonder's "classic period" of recording, which began in 1972 with Music of My Mind.

By 1974, Wonder was one of the most successful figures in popular music; his previous albums Music of My Mind (1972), Talking Book (1972), Innervisions (1973), and Fulfillingness' First Finale (1974) were back-to-back critical successes. However, by March 1975, Wonder seriously considered quitting the music industry and emigrating to Ghana to aid children with disabilities. Plans for a farewell concert had already begun when Wonder changed his mind and signed a new contract with Motown on August 5, 1975. This outlined a seven-year, seven-album deal, with full artistic control. This deal included $13 million up front, a potential bonus of up to $20 million, 20% of the royalties, and ownership of the publishing rights. At the time, it was the biggest recording deal in history.

Songs in the Key of Life was released as a double LP with a four-song bonus EP. It debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 chart, becoming only the third album to achieve that feat, and the first by an American artist. Both the lead single "I Wish" and follow-up single "Sir Duke" reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100. The album spent thirteen consecutive weeks at number one on the Billboard 200, becoming the album with the most weeks at number one during the year, and was the second-best-selling album of 1977 in the US. In 2005, the album was certified Diamond by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), indicating sales of 5 million units for a double album.

The album won Album of the Year at the 19th Grammy Awards and is the best-selling and most critically acclaimed album of Wonder's career. It is now widely regarded as one of the greatest albums in the history of popular music, and many musicians have remarked on its influence on their own work. It was voted number 89 in Colin Larkin's All Time Top 1000 Albums and ranked number 4 on Rolling Stone's 2020 list of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time". In 2002, the album was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame, and in 2005 it was inducted into the National Recording Registry by the Library of Congress, which deemed it "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". (wikipedia)

• • •


Look at this puzzle! Isn't she lovely? Knocks me off my feet. I wish every puzzle made me this happy. If you did not like this, I think you need to have a talk with God. Or better yet, just listen to the album. Front to back, all the way through. Then get back to me. True, it can't improve your experience of a puzzle you've already finished, but it can improve your day and your heart and your soul. Give it a shot. Once I got those first two themers today, I was beaming, and the beaming never stopped. One of my favorite constructors makes a puzzle about one of my favorite albums, and it's not even my birthday? Well, it is my daughter's birthday (happy birthday, kiddo), so ... close enough. I cannot believe that just yesterday, on my best friend's birthday, I mentioned that she (Shaun) and I, and her then-fiancΓ© (Steve) saw STEVIE WONDER on New Year's Eve thirty-two years ago at the Fox Theater in Detroit, and that we were lucky enough to score tickets last week to see him again, later this year, at the same venue. What I didn't mention was that the name of this upcoming tour is ... The "SONGS IN / THE KEY OF LIFE Performances— Fiftieth Anniversary Tour." 


Last week, all four of us (Shaun, Steve, my wife, me), got online and tried to buy tickets to one of the two Detroit shows as soon as they went on sale. Once the sale goes live, you get (randomly?) put into a queue. My number was 4,000 something, which seemed horrible, but was actually much better than most. (I later saw screenshots from people trying to score tix to the show at MSG in NYC that showed their place in the queue somewhere in the 600,000s). But 4,000 wasn't good enough to get all the seats we needed. Luckily, Shaun drew a number closer to 1,000 and so we're going! I spent that whole day stunned at our good luck. Annnnnyway, Stevie rules, SONGS IN / THE KEY OF LIFE is perfect, and this puzzle is smooth as hell even without the Stevie content. My only complaint is that this should've run next Monday, on the exact day of the 50th anniversary. Please don't tell me "but this is not a Monday puzzle." It's very easy, and anyway ... Monday, Tuesday, close enough. No one's gonna be mad that their Monday puzzle has Stevie in it. I know this grid has TUESDAYS baked into it, but anniversary puzzles should appear on the days they're commemorating if at all possible. Then again, the fact that this puzzle got made at all is a miracle, so I'll take it on whatever day you wanna give it to me.


This puzzle seems to have been made especially easy, perhaps to account for the folks who will not be familiar with the Stevie content. But easy certainly doesn't mean boring. You get those little 6-7-8 stacks in the SW and NE corners, and then the 7-8 colonnades in the NW and SE. CODE NAME, "I'LL GET IT!," well-earned FANFARE (43D: Celebratory hoopla). All that and a SILENT Z, in addition to the Steviestravaganza!? I don't have any complaints. I did balk at ROOFS, but nope, that's the correct plural alright. I wrote the [Nail polish brand] in as ESI ... which is, in fact, a nail polish, if you throw another "S" and "E" in there.


I wrote in WRY instead of DRY (18D: Like some humor and runs) (clearly didn't see the "runs" part), but I think that's it as far as screw-ups go. Oh, and I had to wait for crosses on ANIME (27D: "Demon Slayer" or "Attack on Titan"). Those titles ring a bell, but clearly not a loud enough bell.


Bullets:
  • 30A: Resident of Africa's fourth-largest country (LIBYAN) — oh look, another little mistake that I made. I had the -YAN part and wrote in KENYAN. Kenya is actually the 23rd-largest country in Africa. You know, in case that ever comes up.
  • 53D: Ivy League school in New Haven (YALE) — once again, happy birthday to the girl, who turns 26 today. I wasn't going to tell you Yet Again that she's currently getting her MFA at the David Geffen School of Drama at YALE (Technical Design and Production), but the puzzle kind of forced my hand, sorry.
  • 28D: Contents of plastic sleeves or jewel cases, informally (CDS) — I've got one of the SONGS IN / THE KEY OF LIFE CDS in the car and the other in my little Bose CD player / clock radio near my comfy coffee chair in the library. First thing I'm gonna do when I get downstairs is hit "Play."
  • 61A: Whistlers in the kitchen (KETTLES) — speaking of, gotta go get my whistler in the kitchen fired up so I can have my coffee. Actually, my kettle doesn't whistle. It's one of them fancy kettles that hits whatever temperature you want and just stays there. Got a little temp read-out and everything. It is black and sleek and beautiful and my best friend in the morning. Yes, I love the cats, but they are takers and they know it. The kettle simply gives. 

That's all for today. See you next time. And I hope you give the album a spin today. It really is a thing of beauty.


Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
πŸ“˜ My other blog πŸ“˜:

25 comments:

Conrad 6:02 AM  


Easy but enjoyable. Liked it, but not quite as much as OFL did. At 19A I had STEV from downs and when 6D provided the I, the theme became obvious.
* * * * _

One overwrite, hoAx before SCAM for the 41A fraudulent offer.

One WOE, "Clemency" star ALFRE Woodard at 46A.

Son Volt 6:08 AM  

Sure - iconic album but the tribute puzzle just never hits for me. I still have my original vinyl. Astonishingly straightforward for Agard - during the few short minutes of the solve I realized the grid was secondary and of no real importance here.

A Few Hundred Thank Yous

Rex summarizes the fill nicely - it’s smooth and tepid for the most part. Highlight is fitting the entire SONGS title in. ILL GET IT, TUESDAYS, SILENT Z all solid. A lot of the shorts I didn’t even notice with the crosses.

Good on Rex getting to see Stevie - cute Tuesday morning solve.

The Royal SCAM

Anonymous 6:46 AM  

Wow, a 5* rating from @REX!!!!! Nice. Enjoyed the puzzle. I didn't know "IWISH" so that middle part took me a while too. The SW album I have memorized from my childhood is Inner Vision. One of my brothers bought it. I don't think we ever owned a copy of SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE, but those hits are certainly familiar from the radio etc. Thanks, Erik, for a great Tuesday : )

Jennypf 6:55 AM  

The themers hit me with a big ol jolt of joy. One of my favorite albums by one of my favorite artists, and one of my favorite songs in the puzzle to boot I had a huge smile carrying me through the rest of the solve.

Alice Jane Morgan 7:04 AM  

Isn’t she lovely!

Norm 7:05 AM  

Never heard the album. Don't like music trivia quizzes posing as crossword puzzles.

EasyEd 7:10 AM  

I felt this was a smooth and easy puzzle, much like what I can recall of STEVIE’s sound. I was living abroad during much of his most important works and was taken up with other artists, so missed the songs named in this puzzle, but now I’m ready to catch up. Thanks Rex for the history lesson.

Andy Freude 7:10 AM  

I’m generally not a fan of tribute puzzles, but anything that puts Stevie Wonder’s music in my head gets a big thumbs up from me. Pure joy.

ac 7:15 AM  

do give it a listen it won't hurt you

ac 7:16 AM  

fabulous puzzle - as good as they get - bravo Erik!

kitshef 7:19 AM  

I flip pancakes with a pancake-turner or flipper. I use a spatula to ice a cake. There is also the scraper, which I use to scrape bowls or peanut butter jars.

I gave up submitting tribute puzzles to the Times. The response has always been something along the lines of "we stay away from tribute puzzles, as they feel too much like trivia for solvers".

Favorite Stevie Wonder songs: Sir Duke, and Living for the City.

Lewis 7:21 AM  

What? The answer STEVIE WONDER has never appeared in a Times puzzle before today? How can that be? But it is!

Thank you for rectifying that, Erik.

And thank you for once again, as you always do, creating a grid so junk free, that when I look over the completed puzzle, my whole system calms down, and I feel serene and at peace. I am not exaggerating.

Thank you, also, Erik, for throwiing in a pair of world-class wordplay clues on a day when simple, direct cluing is the order of the day, to introduce newer solvers to this delicious aspect of solving crosswords. [It has M.S.G. in it] for NYC has been used before but is so good that its encore is deserved. [Bloc party?] for NATION is not only brilliant, but original.

I’ve come to expect the skill, polish, and the feeling that all the right decisions were made, in the creation of one of your puzzles, Erik. But I never take it for granted. Thank you for another gem today!

Lewis 7:24 AM  

Related factoid – In two tracks in “Songs In the Key of Life”, Stevie played all the instruments, including Synthesizers, keyboards, harmonica, and drums.

Beezer 7:24 AM  

This puzzle brought a big smile to my face as soon as Steve Wonder was revealed…and Sir Duke? I dare you not to smile as soon as that wonderful catchy tune is played!
I’ll have to get into my vinyl today and play the themer album as well as Inner Visions.
Thanks Erik Agard!

Anonymous 7:25 AM  

All very well, but suppose you're someone who doesn't know this album" We do exist, and we do Times puzzles. I filled in every blank, shrugged and then turned to Rex's over-the-top review. Come on. A thing of beauty? Or just a bit of fan fare?

Anonymous 7:36 AM  

Justice for joyless music-haters!

mathgent 7:37 AM  

LINEAR algebra became a part of the standard college mathematics curriculum in the sixties. It involves vectors and matrices.

Nice puzzle. Happy to learn about this iconic album.

Anonymous 7:43 AM  

My overriding memory of Stevie Wonder is working at a boat show in Earls Court, London back in the late 1970s. Every hour or so they played "Isn't She Lovely" and 3 or 4 beautiful girls in bikinis would stroll through the exhibition hall and drape themselves over the boats.

Some great songs came out of his golden period of creativity, but I rather had my fill of the boat show song. The songs that come to my mind first are not the ones in this puzzle. Superstition, You are the Sunshine of My Life,, I Just Called to Say I Love You,

A prodigious talent who transcended his musical style.

Anonymous 7:45 AM  

My downs only attempt was derailed by Idina, Alfre and I’m coming instead of I’ll get it. Gotta love Stevie Wonder! My favorite song of his is Living for the City. Pure artistry.

RooMonster 7:47 AM  

Hey All !
Mr. Luxury YACHT from Monty Python. "It's pronounced thrift-wobbla-man-grove."

Nice tribute puz. Unsure, as Rex notes, why it wasn't run next Monday, on the actual day of said Album release. Unsure if it warrants 5 stars, but hey, to each their own. Some like Stevie Wonder, some like Gwar, some like Rap, some like TayTay. Everyone is different.

8 Cheater Squares, the 3 Blocks in the NE and SW are all Cheaters. Not complaining, just pointing out. In case you're unfamiliar with Cheater Squares, it means if you were to take the Black Square away, adding another letter, the word count wouldn't change. Unlike, say, if you took out the Black Square before RASPY, e.g., you'd then go from three words to two words.

Anyway, quick TuesPuz, nice fill.

Hope y'all have a great Tuesday!

Five F's
RooMonster
DarrinV

mmorgan 8:01 AM  

I thought this was way too easy, and I’m only marginally familiar with Stevie Wonder (I know his 3 or 4 BIG hits, but that’s about it, and never heard of this album). Still, it’s nice to see Rex so happy about a puzzle.

Anonymous 8:03 AM  

5 stars for RP = no references to Harry Potter, Elon Musk, corporate-speak, IQ tests, or ESP.....

Lynn 8:23 AM  

I'm in the Loved It group. I played this album a lot and made tapes for in the car. Re: 28D "Contents of plastic sleeves or jewel cases, informally". I entered CDS easily but didn't get the jewel case part. I had to look it up. Had never heard the term before.

Anonymous 8:27 AM  

don't get the clue on 28D - shouldn't jewel be capitalized?

Hugh 8:29 AM  

A tribute to an iconic album of my youth, what can be bad? I still have the vinyl somewhere, I'm hoping I also still have the Sam Goody's receipt!

Some of this was Monday easy, some clearly appropriate for Tuesdays. It all came very quickly as 21A was a gimme for anyone who's a fan and from then it was joyful to fill in STEVIEWONDER and SONGSIN and then THEKEYOFLIFE. Whether you're a fan or not, you can't say that's not some pretty fill right there!

Loved the cluing for NYC and there was some very pleasing longish stuff: CODENAME, NATION, SCARAB, SILENTZ and the in-the-language, ILLGETIT. I also liked how YALE crossed KEY.

I had just one bit of a hold-up as I pulled a John Travolta and couldn't get Ms. Menzel's first name into my head, but the crosses were all fair. As I said, just a *bit* of a hold up.

Happy birthday to your daughter, @Rex! I'm now going to dust off some vinyl and then head right to Amazon to get that magic kettle you spoke of, that is going to be a life changer in my house! (I guess I need to get out more)

Thank you for this, Eric! All around great stuff!

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP