Tropical fruit with white flesh and a deep-red rind / FRI 7-24-26 / Guru's honorific / Cookware sometimes used over campfires / Group with defining traits? / Recipient of Emmys in different categories for the same role / Criminals in the oil industry? / Aperitif with black currant liqueur / Component that may emerge from Earth's asthenosphere

Friday, July 24, 2026

Constructor: Geoffrey Schorkopf

Relative difficulty: Easy

THEME: none 

Word of the Day: MANGOSTEEN (49A: Tropical fruit with white flesh and a deep-red rind) —

Mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana), also called mangostan or purple mangosteen, is a tropical evergreen tree with edible fruit native to the Malay Peninsula and Borneo. It has been cultivated extensively in tropical Asia since ancient times. It is grown mainly in Southeast Asia, southwest India and other tropical areas such as Colombia, Puerto Rico and Florida, where the tree has been introduced. The tree grows from 6 to 25 m (19.7 to 82.0 ft) tall.

The fruit of the mangosteen is sweet and tangy, juicy, somewhat fibrous, with fluid-filled vesicles and an inedible, deep reddish-purple colored rind (exocarp) when ripe. The fragrant edible flesh that surrounds each seed is the endocarp, i.e., the inner layer of the ovary. The seeds are of similar size and shape to almonds.

The genus Garcinia also contains several less-known fruit-bearing species, such as the button mangosteen (G. prainiana) and the charichuelo (G. madruno). (wikipedia)

• • •


Here we go—a puzzle right out of the Robyn Weintraub playbook (high compliment). Fifteen (15!) marquee answers (8+ letters long) zipping here there and everywhere, with a grid built for flow. Those NW and SE corners are a little cut off from everything else, but otherwise, the puzzle has a wide-open feel, giving you lots of opportunities to come at any one section. Some late-week grids feel claustrophobic, and some feel airy, and this one definitely belonged to the latter group. Further, the marquee answers were all at least solid, and occasionally sparkly. A ton of flashy long stuff, with the short stuff just holding it in place without calling too much (bad) attention to itself—that's what I like in a Friday puzzle. Again, things are generally coming in way too easy on Fridays these days, but this one was at least regular-easy, maybe even Easy-Medium. I had to wrestle with it a little, here and there, and as long as there's a little fight in a Friday puzzle, I'm good. The brightness and whoosh are the important things, and this puzzle had those in abundance.


HERE'S THE THING ... seriously, here it is. That's it. That's the thing. I love these little colloquial tidbits, intro phrases that drift off into an ellipsis ("HERE'S THE THING...," "BEFORE I GO..."), or urgent demands ("PUT THAT DOWN!") or even cliché aphorisms, if they're not too cloying ("LIFE'S TOO SHORT"). I like a puzzle that feels alive with the human voice. Attuned to slang (BINGE-WATCHING, WORD NERDS). Maybe a little silly (CLOWN NOSE). This puzzle has many moods—don't like one, keep going, there's another one around the bend. I was listening to an interview with crossword constructor (and crossword book author) Natan Last yesterday, on the podcast Feedback (with Ira Madison III), and he was emphasizing the virtue of building grids that cover a wide range of interests. One of the phrases he used was "a full meal"—the puzzle should feel like a full meal. It's a decent metaphor—different courses, different food groups, different textures and flavors, maybe a cocktail or wine or an aperitif (or digestif), dessert, coffee, after-dinner mint. A taste odyssey. When a puzzle stays in one SEAM, or seems to lean into only one time period (old or current), or when the vocabulary is just ... vocabulary, just ordinary (or arcane) words from the dictionary, then meh, I'm not as interested. But today ... I can put up with a decent number of stray KIRs and SRIs and CNETs when the meat of the puzzle is this tasty.


Started out bad with XRAY at 1A: Bit of radiological work (SCAN). Too specific! My dad was a radiologist, so I got carried away. When is ANGIOGRAM going to be in the puzzle!? Oh, look, it already was—once, in 2018. One of the funniest bits of ephemera preserved from my childhood is a piece of paper on which I've written (age 6?) a kind of permission slip allowing one of my stuffed animals to go home from the hospital. The title, if I remember correctly: "Doggy's ANGIOGRAM: slip to go home." Impressive vocabulary for a small child, but maybe not for the small child of a radiologist. Before you get too impressed, please keep in mind that one of the vital statistics on said "angiogram" was "Heart Bumps." Apparently no one had taught me the word "pulse" yet. 


I thought the [Silly sorts] at 7-Down were ASSES but then they ended up being GEESE but then, immediately thereafter, an ASS appeared (9D: Jack of jenny)—the fastest malapop* I've ever experienced. The only real trouble I had up top involved writing in BAN instead of "BUT..." at (27A: Start of a protest). "BAN the Bomb!" was the kind of "protest" I had in mind. I can't be the only person who made that error today. Those two little (wrong) squares really gummed up both of the long Downs they cross ("PUT THAT DOWN!," DUTCH OVENS). I was like "'EAT THAT ... something'? BENCH OVENS?" No and no. I would never put DUTCH OVENS and campfires together in the same mental universe, but that's probably just because I haven't been camping in thirty years and our dutch oven is by Le Creuset and way Way too heavy to bring on a camping trip. Now that I'm looking at pictures, yes, I've seen pots like this suspended over fires.

I had "PUT THAT AWAY!" before "PUT THAT DOWN!" though that didn't last long thanks to LEANN Rimes. The one thing that really got me today, besides BUT (not BAN), was MANGOSTEEN (49A: Tropical fruit with white flesh and a deep-red rind). I had MANGO and thought, "well ... there's your tropical fruit, what more do you want, clue!!?" But apparently the mango has a relative. Last name Steen. Lives on the Malay Peninsula or else in Borneo. Funny (in an ironic and slightly mocking sort of way) that MANGOSTEEN is under WORD NERDS today, since this word nerd did not know it at all. 

[Jan Steen (no relation)]

Bullets:
  • 35A: Spanish diminutive suffix (-ITO) — we were discussing Spanish diminutive suffixes just yesterday, with "fonditas." This caused me to write in "-ITA" before quickly remembering that Spanish suffixes have genders, and so I pulled the final vowel and waited for the cross.
  • 53A: 2019 Grammy-winning album for Tyler, the Creator (IGOR) — "Described by critics and Tyler himself as an album blending hip-hop, neo soul, R&B, funk, and pop, critics have also noted the album's use of synthesizers and lo-fi vocals. Thematically, Igor follows a narrative of a love triangle between the titular character and his male love interest. The album employs the "Igor" literary archetype to explore themes associated with love, such as heartbreak, loss, and jealousy." (wikipedia). It's a good album, and it's got a very memorable cover:

There are also alternative covers, same color scheme, equally memorable:


  • 28A: "Mark Twain" biographer Chernow (RON) — he is perhaps slightly better known as the Alexander Hamilton biographer. For reasons.
  • 38A: Drinks are on me! (BAR CAR) — my favorite clue of the day. The drinks are more likely "in" than "on" the BAR CAR, but since you're "on" board a train at that point, I think "on" is fine.
  • 34D: Gay ___ (1970s movement) (LIB) — the only time I've ever heard used "LIB" irl, when it wasn't coming out of some mouth-breathing extremely-online dipshit conservative guy's mouth, is in the phrase "Women's LIB." If people were ever saying "Gay LIB," it was before my time / out of my earshot. 
  • 47D: "Is the whole world against me?" ("ET TU?") — kind of a clever and slightly toughish way to clue this particular bit of crosswordese. "The whole world" and "you (tu) specifically" are very different things, obviously, but the sentiment in the clue and answer here are basically the same.
  • 44D: Recipient of Emmys in different categories for the same role (ASNER) — just noticing how crosswordesey this SE corner really is. ADELE and ASNER, side by side, two seats down from ETTU. Again, I didn't really have a chance to notice this because the more beautiful parts of the puzzle were all I could think about. ASNER won three Supporting Actor Emmys for playing Lou Grant on The MTM Show, and then won two more Emmys, this time in the Best Actor category, for playing the same role in the spinoff, named simply Lou Grant.

That's all for today. See you next time.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

*a "malapop" is when you enter a wrong answer that ends up being a correct answer somewhere else in the grid  

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

91 comments:

Conrad 6:11 AM  


Liked it even though it was Easy.
* * * _ _

Overwrites:
My 1A bit of radiological work was an @Rex x-rAy before it was a SCAN.
And at 1D, my insulting talk was SnArK before it was SMACK.

WOEs:
I had to get MAGMA (5A) from crosses because I didn't know what the asthenosphere was.
The 49A tropical fruit MANGOSTEEN.

Bob Mills 6:39 AM  

Solved it without cheating (it took a while), so I expected an "easy" rating from Rex. Guessed right that "oil industry" meant oil paintings, so ARTFORGERS became a breakthrough answer. Excellent puzzle.

Son Volt 6:44 AM  

Nice late week puzzle - we’ve seen this grid layout before - it does allow the corners to flow and provides that center triple stack. I don’t love BINGE WATCH - but HERES THE THING and LIFES TOO SHORT are top notch.

Cowboy Nudes

I thought the overall cluing tried too hard in places looking for the misdirect. ART FORGERS is as good as it gets. Loved MORNING STAR and DUTCH OVENS. No idea with MANGOSTEENS and IGOR - needed the crosses. Similar to Rex - growing up was women’s LIB time. Twain is Chernow’s latest - I liked House of Morgan. We get a load of trivia today - mostly clean.

English Beat

I didn’t love it as much as Rex - but it was a pleasant Friday morning solve.

Books About UFOs

REV 6:46 AM  

Anyone else put in BLOWNNOSE for “It makes one red in the face”.?

Rick Sacra 6:46 AM  

Medium for me last night… That NW corner was a bit rough. Count me in for XRAY until it became clear that was wrong—CLOWNNOSE was the only thing I got there, and then that carried into the middle. Clue on NSFW is sus… I wouldn’t call a NSFW link “suspicious”. I thought it was going to be either a fake label or a “SCAM” or something. Thank God for PURPLE and DUTCHOVEN—those two got me exposure to the rest of the grid. Also ARGOT and GEESE helped me make progress in the upper middle. But the SE corner was the first section I fully completed. WORDNERDS, MANGOSTEEN, and some of my old friends ASNER, ADELE, AND LEANN all helped me out. (Sometimes names are the foothold on the Fri/Sat puzzles!) Loved MORNINGSTAR (as clued), FINEPRINT, and HITASNAG. 14 threes, and not too junky. Thanks for a perfect Friday grid, Geoffrey!! : )

Anthony in TX 6:50 AM  

After struggling *mightily* with Wednesday and Thursday this week for some reason, it was nice to get a breezy Friday that was fun to fill in.

Anonymous 7:00 AM  

Mangosteen is one of the most delicious fruits in the world. If you are ever in southeast Asia, do yourself a favor and pick up lots. I believe you CAN find it in the States but it is not nearly as good.

kitshef 7:19 AM  

Got it in my head that it was Thursday, and was trying to work some kind of rebus of 'artful dodgers' in where ART FORGERS went. Once I realized it was Friday, things actually got easier.

In retrospect, puzzle is pretty heavy on the names and other proper nouns (CARLI, ASNER, ADELE, CNET, IGOR, RON, LEANN), but I didn't feel it during the solve.

Lewis 7:22 AM  

Even after years of solving, I’m still gullible, easily misdirected by sneaky clues. I’m glad for it, actually, because when I finally crack the clue, it brings a double pleasure-burst at getting it and loving the clue’s cleverness. A most happy BAM!

That happened a lot today. For [Serve a function], I was thinking along the “useful” line, for [Like a strong bond] I was envisioning synonyms for “sticky”. There were more, and thus I was greatly entertained.

Also entertaining was the vibrancy – nine NYT answer debuts with their newness in answer and clue. My favorites were HERE’S THE THING, CLOWN NOSE, BEFORE I GO, and WORD NERDS (that one made me feel seen).

The star was that center stack – three terrific phrases, one of them a debut (HERE’S THE THING) and the other two once-befores – and look at how cleanly they’re crossed -- wow!

I came into the grid at about zero, Geoffrey, and left hungry to attack the day. A most splendid outing – thank you and more please!

RooMonster 7:26 AM  

Hey All !
Me, in a grocery store produce section - "Excuse me, where are the MANGOSTEENs?"
Clerk - "Umm, we have MANGOes here, never heard of a MANGOSTEEN. Are you feeling OK?"
/Scene

Or maybe it's about getting your 13-19 year old to eat more fruit.
"Have some MANGOS, TEEN."

Nice puz. Was able to flow through the solve without too much push-back.

Had IGOd before IGOR, figuring a person named Tyler the Creator would come out with an album I GOD. Makes sense, no? Kinda disappointed there, TBH.

Requisite ASS here, could've tied it in to DUTCH OVEN. Har.

Fine puz. Easy, without making you feel like it was dumbed down. Lively answers, lots of Longs. Thanks Geoffrey!

Hope y'all have a great Friday!

Three F's
RooMonster
DarrinV

Anonymous 7:27 AM  

Yep

Anonymous 7:34 AM  

Another Ed Asner note: he won his Emmys for MTM in the comedy category and for Lou Grant in the drama category. Same character, different genres.

EasyEd 7:41 AM  

Undone by four names I didn’t know—CARLI, IGOR, RON and LEANN—but otherwise very do-able puzzle with plenty of fun/interesting answers. Was particularly proud of myself for entering ETTU on first pass. Really wanted doDGERS in the NE, but you can’t have everyTHING.

Anonymous 7:43 AM  

Come to Thailand! We happily eat Mangosteens all the time.

SouthsideJohnny 7:47 AM  

I agree that the marquee answers were all solid, even though I hadn’t heard of a MANGOSTEEN before. I think my favorite would be BINGE WATCHING, but the others are strong as well (even Robynesque, as mentioned by OFL - high praise indeed).

I had some trouble getting started up in the NW, with a soccer player, a couple of actors and an (appropriately) tough clue for MACS. Things got better after the long crosses started to materialize , which also helped with the transition from section to section.

Rex gave it a full four stars - no argument there from me. Congratulations to Mr. Schorkopf. Hopefully you’ll take the time to stop by and say hello - and more importantly, hopefully you have another Friday grid in the queue already.

mathgent 7:55 AM  

Nice puzzle, but didn't like HERESTHETHING. Got it from the crosses but its connection to the clue is bad.

I filled in ARTFORGERS just off the G and damned if it wasn't correct. Huzzah!

Are many of you older than I? Today's my 92nd birthday.

Mark 8:11 AM  

Absolutely. I was going to post the same thing, but you beat me to it.

Anonymous 8:25 AM  

Every so often, I get the misdirects of a puzzle.This is one of those puzzles. It was a challenge and a pleasure to solve. That’s how a puzzle should be.🎈🎈🎊🎊

Son Volt 8:27 AM  

Another trip around the sun @mathgent! Good stuff - here’s to many more.

pabloinnh 8:28 AM  

Wow! Congratulations and best wishes for many more.

Rex Parker 8:28 AM  

Happy birthday, buddy!

Yat 8:37 AM  

One of my best friends uses HERE’S THE THING often in conversation. So often, in fact, that I used to wait for it in conversations with her. The puzzle made me smile, thinking of her and hearing her voice in my head.

pabloinnh 8:39 AM  

Looking for a place to start which was UFOS which led to __EE__for the "animals " clue, for which I wrote down BEES. Boy, did that slow things down. After enough of the rest of it appeared it was clear that DUTCHOVENS would be right. Hello DEER. I've seen DUTCHOVENS used in campfires but not hanging, as mentioned by OFL, but actually in the coals with more coals on top.

Had fun with the long answers today, PUTTHATDOWN and HITASNAG were first guesses and worked out. BEFOREIGO was hard to parse, had EIG__and of course never heard of IGOR. I was thinking of BUSTA, who we just had, but LEANN showed up instead. Didn't know CNET and was thinking of battery terminals and computer terminals until I had GATE totally filled, Oh, airports. Duh.

Never heard of a MANGOSTEEN but based on comments I'm booking a flight to Indonesia. Hope it's worth it.

Terrific Friday, GS. A Gold Star for you, and thanks for all the fun.

egsforbreakfast 8:47 AM  

When you're talking ARGON, you're talking my ARGOT.

Mrs. Egs, in exasperation over reminding me about chores: I'd just as soon HITASNAG you.

Silly GEESE! PUTTHATDOWN in a pillow!

Kids today don't learn cursive, forcing exasperated teachers to say FINEPRINT.

What a week. This is, IMHO, the fifth good puzzles in a row. Thanks, Geoffrey Schorkopf.

Rick Sacra 8:56 AM  

Oh and also was waffling between Carlo and carla (no idea about K-R) until no happy music made me think of CARLI!

jberg 9:10 AM  

I actually went with CLOWN pOSE at first, thinking it was a bit of unfamiliar yoga that made the blood flow to your head.

jberg 9:15 AM  

Happy Birthday! I'm 10 years behind you.

JoePop 9:15 AM  

Me too.

JoePop 9:18 AM  

I agree with that. And I liked that there were several long spanners where you needed the shorter crosses to solve them

jberg 9:20 AM  

Not at all easy for me. I fell for all of the tricks, or at least most, and had to look up RON Chernow (thought he was Len, never read anything of his). And then I misremembered Busta Rhymes as Rimes, so was looking for a chemical element ending in T.

Had to look up MANGOSTEEN as well, but that was just for confirmation, I had the crosses. And am I the only one here who didn't know what the asthenosphere was?

So I spent nearly an hour on this baby. Despite which, I enjoyed the challenge.

Joe 9:23 AM  

My older son is an interventional radiologist, but he reads a ton of scans. So I started off with SCAN. Then I removed it because I couldn’t get any of the crosses. Later on it went back in as I finished.

veggivet 9:24 AM  

Me too...

pabloinnh 9:41 AM  

No idea about the asthenosphere, which I read as "atmosphere". Had MAGMA all filled in before I finally read the clue correctly.

Anonymous 9:42 AM  

Huzzah! Happy birthday!!

Gary Jugert 9:43 AM  

@mathgent 7:55 AM
Happy birthday! Glad you're doing well.

Anonymous 9:43 AM  


Me too. Made smack hard to see.

Anonymous 9:45 AM  

38A Had BARtAb before BARCAR

Mr. Grant 9:48 AM  

You know, you've got spunk...

...I hate spunk.

Jnlzbth 9:54 AM  

Happy Birthday and enjoy your day!

DAVinHOP 9:59 AM  

Lots of entertaining long answers, as Rex noted. SE corner was the last to fall, hindered by questioning (the obvious) USER, which had 47D ending with a U. Marvelously clued ET TU fixed that, and MANGOSTEEN(!?) went in via the crosses.

A bit name heavy, no? Embarrassingly, we put in BUSTA at 54A and ran into the same issue as above with 46D then funding with a U. Wonder whether "Rhymes with rhymes" has ever been a clue (bet it has). I do consider Busta more of a "rhymer" than LEANN.

Not sure why all the extra letters were needed in 12D clue "Stretttccched out". A (minor) "Less is more" violation.

Enjoyed doing a mental SCAN of the Monopoly board to get AVE (versus Sts or...nothing else, really).

So HERE'S THE THING...LIFE'S TOO SHORT. Maybe BEFORE I GO, I'm GONNA eat MORE OREOS; or try a MANGOSTEEN. And WHO doesn't sometimes HIT A SNAG? I KNOW it CAN result in falling into a SNIT, a RAGE or even being an ASS. Try to WAKE each day to see, not UFOS, BUT your MORNING STAR, and LIVE your life's TALE fully. Then you WIN... AVE! (ET TU).

As Yul Brenner (as Pharaoh) said in The Ten Commandments, "So let it be written..." Translation: "PUT THAT DOWN".

Jnlzbth 10:00 AM  

This puzzle was a pleasure to work on, but I was stymied in the NW because, having SCAN and ART FORGERS in place, I was sure Shade was right for 1D, didn't think of SMACK, and couldn't remember KIR, which would have helped greatly. Oh well, still lots of fun!

Anonymous 10:15 AM  

I had BROWNNOSE for longer than I should’ve.

Ed Asner 10:24 AM  

Happy birthday, mathgent!

Anonymous 10:24 AM  

KIR always seems to me to be to be one of those words spelled with a Y: “KyrRoyale” just rolls off the pen. No coming back from that boner today with Carly (sic) at the ready to cross it in place of super soccer star CARLI Lloyd. Sure, the spidey sense maybe tingled a little when I dropped her in — especially with her name up in titles as a studio analyst so often over the past two months of world cup fanfare — but once I whooshed on, it was a lost cause. Thus, with an aimless after-the-fact search for where I went wrong, the KIR took this otherwise enjoyable romp into a much too bitter place. And they say it’s a sweeter aperitif!

Anonymous 10:30 AM  

Congratulations on your 92nd! I agree re HERESTHETHING. To my ear it's something said before bad news. "Here's the thing, I think we should break up/I have to work late/ etc."

Anonymous 10:41 AM  

While solving archived puzzles I ran into a doozy trio, May 16-18, 2013. Even Rex was done in by the Saturday puzzle!

Masked and Anonymous 10:45 AM  

As themeless puzs go, this one went extra well. Worth all four of them @RP-Stars, IM&AO.
Cool longball answers all over the place, with several very clever clues...
* Clue leaders: ARTFORGERS & BINGEWATCHING.
* Longball leaders: WORDNERDS. MORNINGSTAR. LIFESTOOSHORT/BEFOREIGO.

Biggest har moment: Started out the no-knowesque MANGOSTEEN as MANGOSTEIN. Figured that'd be a real neat name for a cloned fruit. And after all, it is schlock flick night, at our house...

staff weeject pick: CAN appearin real soon after HIRE. Trump US attorney management style.

Thanx for the fun, Mr. Schorkopf dude. Wonderful job.

Masked & Anonymo4Us

p.s.
Runt puzzle:
**gruntz**

M&A

Beezer 10:48 AM  

@jberg I laughed out loud at your CLOWNpOSE comment! :D

Masked and Anonymous 10:57 AM  

Happy B-Day, @mathgent dude. 92 beats m&e by about x-squared minus 25*x plus 168 = 12.
Have multiples of fun!

M&A

Megafrim 10:59 AM  

Seems to me that if you cannot identify a flying object that turns out to be a drone, you are not mistaking it for a UFO; it IS one.

jae 11:04 AM  

Easy-medium. Not really whooshy for me but no real SNAGs,

I did not know MANGOSTEEN, RON, CARLI, and IGOR.

Costly erasures - ITa before ITA and LIt before LIB.

I did know ASNER and ADELE.

No junk, an abundance of sparkle, liked it a bunch, or what @Rex said!!

Carola 11:09 AM  

Happy Birthday, @mathgent!

Hack mechanic 11:12 AM  

Stuck in the NW corner due to evening star.
Finally googled asthenosphere & boom, magma, morning star, art forgers, clown nose & all the rest of it. Only other difficulty, went with lid for cool quantity (an ounce of pot) which worked for me not knowing mangosteen & reanne!

Carola 11:14 AM  

Wow. I had a LOT of trouble with this one, between blanking on the clues and writing in wrong answers, i.e., Footnotes (for FINE PRINT), eveNING STAR, trAM (for SEAM), wet bar (for BAR CAR), Upset (for ULCER), DoEs (for DEER). That all did a good job of messing up reliance on pattern recognition to get those long phrases. But I loved figuring it all out. I agree with @Rex about all the stellar entries! This was all I want in a late-week puzzle.

egsforbreakfast 11:17 AM  

Happy 92nd @mathgent! As you know, it's the atomic number of Uranium. Hope you're looking forward to your trans-Uranic years.

Sam 11:24 AM  

Disagree. Drinks are in the BAR CAR, not on the BAR CAR. Drinks are on a bar cart.

Andy Freude 11:37 AM  

Many happy returns of the day, @mathgent!

Andy Freude 11:41 AM  

Yes. Thank you.

Andy Freude 11:44 AM  

You can call someone Bro, or you can call someone Mac. You can call a group of men (of a certain character) bros, but has anyone ever called them MACS? A nonexistent plural, methinks.

57Stratocaster 11:49 AM  

Rex, I bet your Dutch Oven is actually a French Oven (enamel coated interior.)

Anonymous 12:01 PM  

You can’t misidentify a UFO. If you do, it’s still a UFO

Anonymous 12:04 PM  

Happy Birthday Mathgent! 🥳

Dr Random 12:04 PM  

Fun puzzle, fun post. That said, I felt a tinge of disappointment when, as I was reading Rex’s discussion of BAR CAR, I realized that I had totally misconstrued the answer and was imagining one of those pedal pubs driving down the street of San Francisco or somewhere hip and weird like that. Sure, the drinks are on[-board] that! Even though I like trains, my imagination is disappointed to board one of those after all the fun in the pedal pub, maybe wearing a CLOWN NOSE while we’re at it because why not.

jb129 12:11 PM  

Happy Birthday!!! Many more :)

jb129 12:20 PM  

I had Angst for ULCER (more fitting for me, thank God) and wouldn't give it up. With all the slang these days, I was surprised at All the RAGE. Didn't know IGOR, CARLI & I gotta disagree with Rex re: the comparison for to my fav, Robyn W.

Anonymous 12:21 PM  

Huh, I had BEES as my first guess for UFOS instead. Drones ARE bees but I think I've seen that clue used for BEES instead of UFOS.

noni 12:50 PM  

Me too.

Beezer 12:54 PM  

Happy Birthday Mathgent!

Placeholder 1:05 PM  

Nah. Grid was impressive but did NOT like the cluing. Just didn’t vibe with it.

jae 1:08 PM  

Happy Birthday @Mathgent - that’s a number to aspire to!

jae 1:09 PM  

That should be “before ITO” not ITA.

Anonymous 1:26 PM  

As does Sen. Elizabeth Warren, in every interview I've ever seen.

kitshef 1:30 PM  

HIPY PAPY BTHUTHDTH THUTHDA BTHUTHDY, @Mathgent!

Sailor 1:32 PM  

I second that.

beverly c 1:37 PM  

Happy Birthday MathGent!
92 years and still celebrating! Hats off to you and your next dozen trips around the sun!

Teedmn 1:49 PM  

For me, this puzzle put up more fight than Fridays have of late. This is most likely due to my errors both silly and understandable.

Like @Carola, I had trAM at 45A, sneakily giving me two correct letters and holding up that SW sector, and aiding the hold-up down there was "All the sAmE" for 50A. That was the understandable error.

Across the grid from that, the NE, was where it got silly. I reflexively put in an I when I saw the NG ending of 12D. And I was thinking of text size units for 11D so that became FINE PoINT. The only reason I kept looking at that area is because I was pretty sure oiN for 28A had to be wrong. I eventually got the FINE PRINT though it took me an OVER-LONG time to do so. Then I was admiring the clue for 11D. Read the fine print? I can't even manage to fully read crossword clues most days.

MANGOSTEENs, I only know of them because they show up in the dessert portion of "Chopped" once in a while.

Geoffrey Schorkopf, thanks for a fine Friday puzzle.

Les S. More 2:13 PM  

I really enjoyed this one and would rate it easy-medium for me. I don’t actually employ the timer but I do usually have a rough idea because I check my wristwatch before I begin and sometimes even remember to check it again when I’m through. Even with having to go out and check a loud disturbance in the goat shed, I managed to finish this in less than half an hour. Very fast for me on a Friday.

Stumbled out of the gate with today’s common errors, x-rAy before SCAN and SnArK before SMACK, but once I got going, it was a fun ride. Great stack in the middle. I don’t do a lot of BINGE WATCHING because, well … HERE’S THE THING … LIFE’S TOO SHORT.

Lots of other good long stuff, too. And even tired old short fill like AAA gets a tricky clue.

Re: MANGOSTEEN. I’ve had these. They’re very tasty but they’re also a lot of work. You have to learn to pinch them in such a way as to not squish them in order to break that hard rind (or score them with a knife without cutting through into the fruit) and then you have to use some sort of sharp instrument to pick out the fruit segments. As some of you have mentioned, they are not that available. I’m not sure I’ll go out of my way to find them. I know they are sold in Korean grocery shops, but there isn’t one of those near me out here in the sticks.

Very nice puzzle, Geoffrey Schorkopf.

RooMonster 2:33 PM  

92! Good on you. I believe you take the blue ribbon. Haven't heard from @Old Actor yet, wondering his age..
Me? Just 35 years behind. If judging by how time has flown these past 35 years, I'm sure I'll be there soon!
Happy Birthday!

Roo

Anoa Bob 2:38 PM  

I'm in the liked it crowd for sure. Lots of good stuff and a fun solve.

Like some off y'all other WORD NERDS, I HIT A SNAG at 38A "Drinks are on me!" Confidently dropped in BAR TAB. It took a while but I finally decided that MORNING STAB and TATER didn't quite ring true for "Venus, or sometimes Mercury" and "Served a function".

Rex, your "... some mouth-breathing extremely on-line dipshit conservative ..." shows promise for a second career writing insults and smears for a certain politician although you would have to change "conservative" to "liberal".

Anonymous 2:41 PM  

HAAAAAAAAAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Also I usually hate “here’s the thing” because I want people to just get to the point. Just say it without announcing you’ll say it!! In today’s puzzle I didn’t mind it though.

A 3:01 PM  

@Beezer and @jberg CLOWNpOSE is hysterical. @REV bLOWNNOSE is a good one too - reminds me of W.C. Fields.

Les S. More 3:13 PM  

@57Stratocaster. Apparently the term French Oven, promoted by Le Creuset, has never taken off. I've been an avid cook since my pre-teen years and this is the first I've heard of it. I have, over the years, purchased as many as six of these type of pots/pans. A few are Le Creusets and the others are my preferred brand, Staub. The shallow three and a half litre Staub saute pan is my go-to for (no surprise) sauteeing and risotto. I will never cook risotto in another pan. The smaller, steep sided pots from both companies are called cocottes, a term I've become comfortable using, and the larger deeper ones (five litres or more) are, by my reasoning, not French ovens but, rather, improved Dutch ovens.

I haven't checked prices lately but when I began buying Staub pans they came in about a hundred bucks cheaper per piece than Le Creuset.

All this to say that I'm not denying that French Oven is a real term, just not a common one in my culinary world.

Anonymous 3:43 PM  

Glad you all found it easy - I did not! LEANN, RON, CARLI, CNET, ASNER, IGOR and apparently I’m always chasing divine messengers out of my garden. One ate the tomato flowers yesterday. Thank you for the explanation of BARCAR, Rex.
I felt too stupid to really enjoy this puzzle although I appreciate the skill of its creator.
Happy birthday, MathGent -you are an inspiration to us all!

Anonymous 3:58 PM  

Had to check the byline about halfway through because I thought, "Is this Robyn Weintraub?" Highest compliment!

Rick Sacra 4:11 PM  

All great options, but especially love the yoga angle!

A 5:06 PM  

Happy Birthday, @mathgent! and many more I’m only 9,930 days behind you!

Gary Jugert 5:23 PM  

No te preocupes por pequeñeces.

Nice. I worried initially as it took all the way to the bottom to find my first entry, but once it began flowing it was fun and enjoyable. Nice sets of longer answers. Got the clown nose I wanted a few days after the ring toss puzzle.

MANGOSTEEN ... wah? ... amirite? I'm GONNA try one some day.

I love HERE'S THE THING. I do not love OVER LONG, but the clue is trying to help. And I really don't like LIB since you can change it to LAB easy enough and eliminate so much baggage.

People: 6
Places: 1
Products: 3
Partials: 7
Foreignisms: 2
--
Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 19 of 70 (27%)

Funny Factor: 5 😄

Tee-Hee: ASS.

Uniclues:

1 Rudolph.
2 Honkers doin it.
3 Said the butt's a butt.
4 Galleries.

1 CLOWN NOSE DEER
2 GEESE WHO GONNA
3 PUT THAT ASS DOWN (~)
4 FINE PRINT AREAS

My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Why grampa is noisy. RAWR ASS PIPE.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

David Eisner 6:26 PM  

Rex Parker, the Greatest Crossword Solver in the Universe, is too humble to mention that he's the subject of no small amount of adulation in that Feedback interview with Natan Last, around the 7:22 mark. Definitely worth listening to.

Stanley Kost 8:20 PM  

That was new to me as well.

Stanley Kost 8:23 PM  

I kind of liked seeing ARGOT and ARGON opposite each other, even if they’re not thematically connected. I’m sure that was deliberate.

Anonymous 8:24 PM  

Hope you’re having a fabulous day, @mathgent! Happy birthday from an anonymous solver!

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP