Relative difficulty: Easy (solved Downs-only) (undersized at 14x15)
[40A: "Star Wars" character ___ Ren]
THEME: GRAYSCALE (59A: Smartphone setting that removes all color from the screen ... or a feature of this puzzle) — notes of the musical scale are found, in order, in gray boxes, two per answer, inside four theme answers:
Theme answers:
"I DON'T CARE" (16A: "Either way is fine with me")
SMILEY FACE (22A: Friendly emoticon)
SOLOMON ISLANDS (36A: Country in Oceania named for a biblical king)
SCOTTIE DOG (47A: Pet for Franklin Roosevelt or George W. Bush, informally)
Word of the Day: PONZU (19A: Citrusy Japanese sauce) —
Ponzu (ポン酢) (Japanese pronunciation:[pondzɯ]) is a citrus-based sauce commonly used in Japanese cuisine. It is tart, with a thin, watery consistency. Ponzu shōyu or ponzu jōyu (ポン酢醤油) is ponzu with soy sauce (shōyu) added, and the mixed dark brown product is widely referred to as simply ponzu.
The term originally came into the Japanese language as ponsu as a borrowing of the now obsolete Dutch word pons, meaning punch as in a beverage made from fruit juices. The sour nature of this sauce led to the final -su being interpreted as the word su (酢), meaning "vinegar".
Commercial ponzu is generally sold in glass bottles, which may have some sediment. Ponzu shōyu is traditionally used as a dressing for tataki (lightly grilled, then chopped meat or fish) and also as a dip for nabemono (one-pot dishes) such as shabu-shabu. It is used as a dip for sashimi. In the Kansai region, it is offered as a topping for takoyaki. (wikipedia)
• • •
Well that is a scale and it is gray so mission accomplished, I suppose. I once accidentally set my phone to GRAYSCALE, in front of my students (before class) and was like "WTF?" until one of the students took pity on me, took my phone, triple-clicked on the side button, and turned it back to color. My future is basically handing devices to younger people and going "make it better." I'm fine with that. And GRAYSCALE is actually easy on the eyes. Apparently it also de-gamifies your phone—makes it (somewhat) less likely that you'll spend a lot of time on it. I forget where I read that. Here's a NYT article about it, but you can find the same idea all over the place. Annnnyway ... I like the revealer fine, as a word, but I just don't see how turning two-letter strings inside of long answers gray is a thing, a thing worthy of being called a theme. Maybe this is why SOLOMON ISLANDS seems like the strongest theme answer—it's the only one with a three-letter string. Higher level of difficulty. Seriously, how hard is it to find phrases with, say, a "DO" and a "RE" in them, in order. ODOR-FREE? DOG TREATS? ODOMETER READING? DONNA REED? DONOVAN'S REEF?
The theme answers would all be fine in a themeless, but they're totally arbitrary as a set. The thematic restrictions just aren't narrow enough, so there's nothing special-seeming about any of it. So there's a "MI" and a "FA" in your 10-letter answer, so what? COMING OF AGE, there, done. See? There's just way too much leeway for the construction to seem like much of an accomplishment. The visual gag is somewhat clever, but the overall execution lacks a certain ... I dunno, heft, or sparkle, or something. It's just not tight enough.
It was also exceedingly easy, even for a Monday, even solved Downs-only. After a very short amount of time, you can see the pattern developing in the gray squares, and so all the rest of gray squares immediately become obvious:
Just ignore the fact that I wrote in "SO" in stead of "SOL"—I got sloppy in my haste. With all those squares just handed to you, let me tell you, the Downs-only solve gets a Lot easier. The only area that gave me any pause at all was the SW corner, where STEPS (47D: Things taken on a walk?) and COVET (48D: Violate the Tenth Commandment) did not come right away. I wasn't completely sure about the "NOW" part of "TOO LATE NOW," either (27D: "You missed your chance"). But because the "TI" and "DO" were already locked in, I was eventually able to infer SCOTTIE DOG, and the SCO- gave me all the help I needed with those Downs in that corner. Elsewhere, I had "UH, OK" before "OH, OK" (a hazard of solving these awful [hesitation + "OK"] answers that are so unfortunately popular nowadays) (25D: "Um, sure"). I also wrote in DNA at 31D: Single-stranded molecule (RNA) before I remembered no, dummy, DNA is double-stranded. MDS looked perfectly acceptable in the grid, but luckily I knew enough to change the "D" to "R," resulting in MRS., the correct Across answer (30A: Title for a married woman). I had PONZ- and assumed the last letter was an "I" before the Down clue told me otherwise (17D: Heinie = TUSH). Lastly, I briefly entertained ELLE as the answer for 56D: Name that can be parsed as "the the" in Spanish (ELLA). But "LE" is not "the" in Spanish. French, yes, Spanish, no. So: ELLA. And ... done!
Bullets:
52A: As a precaution (TO BE SAFE) — kind of an adventure parsing this without having any reference to the clue. I had the -BE SAFE part and tentatively wrote in the "TO" while thinking "how is that a standalone phrase?" But then I heard it. As an introductory phrase, it's perfectly in the language. It's probably usually preceded by "JUST," but the JUST-less version seems fine too.
57D: Portland college attended by Steve Jobs (REED) — if Pomona hadn't accepted me, there's a reasonable chance that I'd've gone to REED. Either there, or Carleton, which had the temerity to waitlist me! Unforgiven, Carleton!
20A: Manipulate into doubting one's memory or experience (GASLIGHT) — enjoyed watching this answer come into view. Was hoping the clue would end up referring to the 1944 movie of the same name (Ingrid Bergman and Angela Lansbury, queens!), but the clue decided just to go straight to the concept, bypassing the film that inspired it.
48D: Violate the Tenth Commandment (COVET) — I had the "C" and wrote in CHEAT. Close!
That's all for today. See you next time.
Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd] ============================= ❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
Very easy downs only. Theme answers were evident early and helped a lot. Covet held me up a minute and so did Reed. Had ponzi, but tish made no sense, so I tried a u and bingo!
With the admission that no one cares how long it takes you to finish, I think today set my Monday record. Completed in 3:50. Might be the easiest Monday puzzle I’ve ever done.
I liked this one! So breezy and light. I was not paying attention to the gray squares at all, so when the puzzle was finished, and I looked at the revealer, and then it all clicked, I had my aha! moment. That’s more than most Mondays give. Three stars from me!
Didn’t know my GENs or Citrusy Japanese sauces, but PONZU just sounded right…Also rusty on my Ten Commandments, so like Rex took a bit to come up with COVET, and then STEPS became obvious. Wound up not using the theme for the solve, but liked the construction and minimal crosswordese.
As the big guy stated - the idea works but it’s pretty flat in the end. I’m guessing SOLOMON ISLANDS was the seed here and drove the 14 wide layout? It’s a good themer. GRAYSCALE just doesn’t hit for me.
Overall fill is pedestrian - Rex summarizes it nicely. A lot of short and midlength stuff that is forgotten quickly. SEMIFINALS, PONZU, COVET are all pretty neat.
This was one of those days when I did not notice the shaded squares until I got to the revealer, which meant that they were all filled in already. I'm with Rex, it's not much of a theme, IMO. I could not construct a puzzle for the life of me, but I don't think coming up with words with the scale syllables in them would be hard. It looks like he did try to keep the note names out of the other across answers, but didn't quite succeed and had to go with eMIr at 15-D. There are several in the downs, but I can accept that.
Most of the married women I know would punch you if you called them MRS. And while it's nice to see our old friend Fala (FDR's dog) in the puzzle, I've never ever heard anyone refer to a Scotch Terrier as a "SCOTTIE DOG." What's next, Collie Dog? German Shepherd Dog? It jarred.
This is a perfect puzzle for a new or newish solver, many who have no idea that a crossword can have a theme or involve wordplay.
This puzzle gently introduces these puzzle elements. The theme is easily grasped, and there’s lovely uncomplicated wordplay in [Pitch that’s hard to hit?], [Things taken on a walk?], and [All tied up].
This lets these solvers know that there is more pleasure in solving crosswords than simply correctly filling letters in boxes.
Just perfect for a Monday puzzle. Bravo Aidan and editors!
P.S. – GAMER was a serendipitous answer, coming after yesterday’s Mario puzzle, and after the fact that Aidan’s last puzzle was based on the video game Minesweeper.
Similar to some others, ELLA and REED caused me to at least pause a bit.
It seems as though Star Wars has gotten to the point where it has its own ecosystem of crossword answers. Today we got KYLO, which is one of the “Monday” Star Wars answers (along with LEIA for example). We can save the names of the individual EWOKs, the droids and the lesser known characters until later in the week (knowing that there will be exceptions to every rule - similar to the way we may get a late-week appearance by OREO now and then for example).
Hey All ! On my desktop computer on the NYT site, my crosswords always have light green squares instead of gray ones, so the Theme was a bit lost for me. Granted, I knew the musical scale, and after getting the Revealer, figured GRAY SCALE was just its name, nothing to do with the shaded square color. Didn't diminish my solve, though.
Agree a bit with Rex about the Themers. Too bad they couldn't have all been related, especially to music, but they are all solid answers in their own right.
Fill was nice and clean. Only real unknown was PONZU.
Almost a perfect down-only for me, but I got stuck in the lower left corner and had to look at one across clue. The rest was quite easy down-only though I expected PONZU to end in an I (as in the scheme) until I eventually succumbed to TUSH, so to speak. I got the musical notes early on, but since they were I circles, not gray squares, in AcrossLite, the revealer was lost on me but I assumed that SCALE part had to do with the already-filled in notes.
Convinced that Rex would find this Easy, as we completed it Downs only; maybe the third or fourth time ever for us. Once (pretty early on) we got the DO-RE-MI...we filled in the rest of the scale, looked at the traditional revealer position (had some crosses in place) and BADA-BING (oops, last week) GRAY SCALE was definitely correct. Filling in all those Across letters greatly facilitated solving via Downs only. Even KYLO (with 3 letters in place) was a gimme, with a chuckle knowing it tripped the Star Wars alarm.
Last for us was a stumble similar to Rex and others, ELLe to ELLA. Very satisfying result.
So after finishing, we went back and read all the Across clues. Pretty interesting for a Monday, and predicted three stars. I suppose had the long Acrosses (containing the shaded squares) been interrelated somehow (as some have suggested here) it would have deserved better. But ironically, by solving Downs only, that would have been irrelevant.
A long time ago, I was solving this puzzle and got stuck at an unguessable (to me) crossing: N. C. WYETH crossing NATICK at the "N"—I knew WYETH but forgot his initials, and NATICK ... is a suburb of Boston that I had no hope of knowing. It was clued as someplace the Boston Marathon runs through (???). Anyway, NATICK— the more obscure name in that crossing—became shorthand for an unguessable cross, esp. where the cross involves two proper nouns, neither of which is exceedingly well known. NATICK took hold as crossword slang, and the term can now be both noun ("I had a NATICK in the SW corner...") or verb ("I got NATICKED by 50A / 34D!")
19 comments:
Never heard of ponzu, smiley faces (as clued), or gaslights. Otherwise loved it. Great puzzle today!!
My five favorite original clues from last week
(in order of appearance):
1. Drinks are on me! (3)(3)
2. Predigital recording devices (4)
3. A.M. station (6)(3)
4, Coach's lack, often (5)(4)
5. Razor blades? (3)
BAR CAR
PENS
OMELET BAR
ELBOW ROOM
MOW
My favorite encore clues from last week:
[Serve a function] (5)
[Second person seen in Hamlet?] (4)
CATER
THOU
Very easy, yes. .but a breath of fresh air after yesterday's debacle.
Very easy downs only. Theme answers were evident early and helped a lot. Covet held me up a minute and so did Reed. Had ponzi, but tish made no sense, so I tried a u and bingo!
Hand up for ELLe before ELLA, with the same thought process before correcting it. Otherwise, a quick, breezy, fun Monday. Nice work, Aidan Deshong!
With the admission that no one cares how long it takes you to finish, I think today set my Monday record. Completed in 3:50. Might be the easiest Monday puzzle I’ve ever done.
I liked this one! So breezy and light. I was not paying attention to the gray squares at all, so when the puzzle was finished, and I looked at the revealer, and then it all clicked, I had my aha! moment. That’s more than most Mondays give. Three stars from me!
Didn’t know my GENs or Citrusy Japanese sauces, but PONZU just sounded right…Also rusty on my Ten Commandments, so like Rex took a bit to come up with COVET, and then STEPS became obvious. Wound up not using the theme for the solve, but liked the construction and minimal crosswordese.
As the big guy stated - the idea works but it’s pretty flat in the end. I’m guessing SOLOMON ISLANDS was the seed here and drove the 14 wide layout? It’s a good themer. GRAYSCALE just doesn’t hit for me.
GASLIGHT
Overall fill is pedestrian - Rex summarizes it nicely. A lot of short and midlength stuff that is forgotten quickly. SEMIFINALS, PONZU, COVET are all pretty neat.
Pleasant enough Monday morning solve.
TOO LATE to stop NOW
This was one of those days when I did not notice the shaded squares until I got to the revealer, which meant that they were all filled in already. I'm with Rex, it's not much of a theme, IMO. I could not construct a puzzle for the life of me, but I don't think coming up with words with the scale syllables in them would be hard. It looks like he did try to keep the note names out of the other across answers, but didn't quite succeed and had to go with eMIr at 15-D. There are several in the downs, but I can accept that.
Most of the married women I know would punch you if you called them MRS. And while it's nice to see our old friend Fala (FDR's dog) in the puzzle, I've never ever heard anyone refer to a Scotch Terrier as a "SCOTTIE DOG." What's next, Collie Dog? German Shepherd Dog? It jarred.
48D had C, wrote in Curse. Curses!
This is a perfect puzzle for a new or newish solver, many who have no idea that a crossword can have a theme or involve wordplay.
This puzzle gently introduces these puzzle elements. The theme is easily grasped, and there’s lovely uncomplicated wordplay in [Pitch that’s hard to hit?], [Things taken on a walk?], and [All tied up].
This lets these solvers know that there is more pleasure in solving crosswords than simply correctly filling letters in boxes.
Just perfect for a Monday puzzle. Bravo Aidan and editors!
P.S. – GAMER was a serendipitous answer, coming after yesterday’s Mario puzzle, and after the fact that Aidan’s last puzzle was based on the video game Minesweeper.
Similar to some others, ELLA and REED caused me to at least pause a bit.
It seems as though Star Wars has gotten to the point where it has its own ecosystem of crossword answers. Today we got KYLO, which is one of the “Monday” Star Wars answers (along with LEIA for example). We can save the names of the individual EWOKs, the droids and the lesser known characters until later in the week (knowing that there will be exceptions to every rule - similar to the way we may get a late-week appearance by OREO now and then for example).
Hey All !
On my desktop computer on the NYT site, my crosswords always have light green squares instead of gray ones, so the Theme was a bit lost for me. Granted, I knew the musical scale, and after getting the Revealer, figured GRAY SCALE was just its name, nothing to do with the shaded square color. Didn't diminish my solve, though.
Agree a bit with Rex about the Themers. Too bad they couldn't have all been related, especially to music, but they are all solid answers in their own right.
Fill was nice and clean. Only real unknown was PONZU.
Enjoyable MonPuz solve. Thanks Aiden.
Hope y'all have a great Monday!
Two F's
RooMonster
DarrinV
Almost a perfect down-only for me, but I got stuck in the lower left corner and had to look at one across clue. The rest was quite easy down-only though I expected PONZU to end in an I (as in the scheme) until I eventually succumbed to TUSH, so to speak. I got the musical notes early on, but since they were I circles, not gray squares, in AcrossLite, the revealer was lost on me but I assumed that SCALE part had to do with the already-filled in notes.
Convinced that Rex would find this Easy, as we completed it Downs only; maybe the third or fourth time ever for us. Once (pretty early on) we got the DO-RE-MI...we filled in the rest of the scale, looked at the traditional revealer position (had some crosses in place) and BADA-BING (oops, last week) GRAY SCALE was definitely correct. Filling in all those Across letters greatly facilitated solving via Downs only. Even KYLO (with 3 letters in place) was a gimme, with a chuckle knowing it tripped the Star Wars alarm.
Last for us was a stumble similar to Rex and others, ELLe to ELLA. Very satisfying result.
So after finishing, we went back and read all the Across clues. Pretty interesting for a Monday, and predicted three stars. I suppose had the long Acrosses (containing the shaded squares) been interrelated somehow (as some have suggested here) it would have deserved better. But ironically, by solving Downs only, that would have been irrelevant.
Being a train buff, I loved the shorthand reference to the long-gone Ohio & Oklahoma Railroad, fondly called the OHOK.
My Dad was a real tool. Got home at 5:00 and that TOOLATENOW ORATE no later than 5:15.
The most stimulating way to take the color out of things is VIAGRAYSCALE. Just take the little gray pill.
Haggis on a frank makes a SCOTTIEDOG.
On a scale of DO to TI, this seemed a bit easy to MI. Thanks, Aidan Deshong.
Post a Comment