Hairstyle similar to a bowl cut / SUN 7-19-26 / Whitesmith's material / Judge of diamond value? / Person providing a sworn account / One-named singer with the 1994 hit "You Gotta Be" / Strauss opera inspired by a Sophocles tragedy / Britain's most prestigious military decoration / Block someone's passage, say / 2000 Christina Aguilera #1 hit

Sunday, July 19, 2026

Constructor: Michael Lieberman

Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium

[31D: "Star Wars" character Kylo ___]

THEME: "Raising Capital" — theme answers (running Across) jog upward for a stretch before returning to their normal eastward direction—that upward stretch spells out a world capital each time: 

Theme answers:
  • THANKS A MILLION (25A: "I really, really appreciate it!") (Lima)
  • MAIL-IN REBATE (28A: After-the-fact discount) (Bern)
  • VICTORIA CROSS (69A: Britain's most prestigious military decoration) (Cairo)
  • DROOLS OVER (71A: Fantasizes about) (Oslo)
  • ERECT A BARRIER (73A: Block someone's passage, say) (Rabat)
  • HOME MORTGAGE (110A: Bank offering for a property buyer) (Rome)
  • "WHAT A GIRL WANTS" (112A: 2000 Christina Aguilera #1 hit) (Riga)
Word of the Day: EDGAR (3D: Hairstyle similar to a bowl cut) —
The
Edgar cut, otherwise known as the Edgar or the Edgar haircut, is a hairstyle often associated with Latino culture. In the 2010s and 2020s, the haircut became popular with members of Generation Z and Millennials. The haircut first became popular in US border states in the Southwest, such as Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California. The haircut has been compared to a bowl cut, a similar haircut with a straight fringe. // The Edgar hairstyle is usually characterized as the front hair having straight fringes, or bangs, along with the sides tapered. The hairstyle can be worn with any hair texture, including more wavy and curly hair. The Edgar hairstyle is most prominent among young Latinos. // The origin for the name Edgar is unconfirmed, although it is often misattributed to having been named after former Seattle Mariners baseball player Edgar Martínez in early 2019. // The hairstyle is associated with the takuaches, members of a Mexican-American subculture of truck enthusiasts, and sometimes called the 'takuache cut' as a result.. The hairstyle has been found to have similarities to the hairstyles of Indigenous tribes such as the Jumano. The haircut is famously slangily called the "cuh" in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, after the song Cuh 956 by Dagobeat. (wikipedia)
• • •

You're not really "raising capital," so much as raising the part of a phrase that, backwards, spells a capital, but I suppose that it's all OK, since the "raised" part reads correctly as a Down answer. It would be much harder to appreciate the "capital" part of it all if you had to read the capital upside-down. Anyway, this theme was mildly entertaining. I enjoyed remembering four- and five-letter world capitals, and piecing together the winding theme answers that contained them. Well, most of them. I did not particularly enjoy ERECT A BARRIER, which is giving off extreme EAT A SANDWICH vibes. Truly the worst, most contrived themer of the lot. But the others are all solid, even fun. OK, no one's ever going to describe HOME MORTGAGE as "fun," but THANKS A MILLION and DROOLS OVER have good (if messy) energy, and "WHAT A GIRL WANTS"—that's inspired. My favorite of the lot, by far. Man, I loved that song. Also "Genie in a Bottle" (same album, so same time period). Reminds me very, very much of my first year here in Binghamton. Huge hit. Catchy in a way I found hard to deny. I would love to be able to say I'm more a "Big Poppa" guy than a "WHAT A GIRL WANTS" guy, but I would be lying (I do like "Big Poppa," I just didn't listen to it with any regularity) (I also missed the Wu-Tang Clan entirely, somehow. What the f--- was I doing in the '90s??? Besides taking forever to write my dissertation, I mean? Huge hip-hop knowledge gap, sadly).



The fill today ... IT'S OK. Not sparkling, but not terrible either. I only DEEP SIGHed a couple of times. At ERECT A BARRIER, obviously. Also at DECLARANT (!?). Needed every cross to get that one. Yesterday, A FORTIRIORI, today DECLARANT. Yeesh. [Grimace]. Easy on the legalese, guys. Also did not love STEEPENS, as clued (80A: Gets more expensive). I know that "steep" is slang for "expensive," but when you put "steep" into verb form ... it really doesn't work. Can't imagine it. Ear rejects it. But beyond that, no real ugly spots. Maybe a bit more crosswordese than I'd like (SKEE IONIA ISO OHO SCH VSO OWS EMS ENT ULNAE etc. etc. AND ON AND ON), but then there's enough longer and livelier stuff to keep the puzzle from being a total drag. PLEADS OUT, NUTCRACKERS, "GET A GRIP!," stuff like that. There's nothing terribly obscure here today. Just a couple of pop culture items that are bound to throw many if not most solvers off balance. Firstly, DES'REE ... is there an accent on her name? ... no, spelled it right the first time, yay me. I would not call her a household name, but she sure has a name that's built for crosswords. If you were alive and near a radio at all in the mid-'90s, you definitely heard "You Gotta Be," though there's a good chance you never knew the name of the artist. Well, now you know.


It's also possible that you knew the band Mötley Crüe but had no idea what the lead singer's name is. That seems reasonable. I somehow knew he was Vince Neil, though I think I misspelled it at first today (NEAL). Continuing our musical odyssey, there's also the Psychedelic FURS—I was just looking at the Pretty in Pink soundtrack earlier today (that is, Saturday). They sang the title song. Also "Love My Way," which may be the only other song I can name by them. Oh, wait, no—they also sang "The Ghost in You," which is terrific.


Besides DECLARANT, the only thing I really didn't know was the EDGAR haircut (see Word of the Day, above). The theme was pretty easy to uncover. Once you hit the [See title] and [] clues, and the theme answers don't seem to fit in their allotted spaces, you know something's up. [See title] makes things fairly obvious—part of the answer goes up ... probably spells out a capital. I actually thought the "capital" might be monetary (LIRE? EURO?), and like I said, at first I thought the "capital" would literally go up, from bottom to top, not top to bottom—but all this stuff sorted itself out in fairly short order. 


Bullets:
  • 65A: Judge of diamond value? (AARON) — this is AARON Judge of the New York Yankees, 8-time All-Star and 3-time AL MVP winner. He played college ball for the Fresno State Bulldogs. This is of interest only to people who grew up in Fresno (i.e. me). 
  • 55A: Actress Shirley of "The Apartment" (MACLAINE) — fun fact: The Apartment is my favorite movie. I mean, I hate to choose among my precious babies, but if I had to choose, then The Apartment wins (also in the mix: Cleo from 5 to 7, Chinatown, Killer of Sheep, and Rear Window)
  • 79A: Brand seen on the U.S. World Cup jerseys (NIKE) — today, the World Cup concludes with the championship match between Spain and Argentina. Yesterday's third-place match between France and England, I didn't watch, but based on the absolutely insane score (England won 6-4), it doesn't seem like anyone was really trying, at least not defensively, yeesh. 10 goals combined??? That's the most of the tournament, the most since Germany beat Curaçao 7-1 in the Group Stage (first round). Expect the Spain-Argentina match to be a much, much lower-scoring affair, especially as Spain has conceded just one goal the entire tournament.
  • 5D: Strauss opera inspired by a Sophocles tragedy (ELEKTRA) — I'm never sure if it's ELEKTRA or ELECTRA. Apparently it's both. Wikipedia's entry is for "Electra" ("also spelt Elektra"). The record label is ELEKTRA. "K" seems Greekier, but if you went with "C" there, that's a reasonable "mistake."
  • 16D: Whitesmith's material (TIN) — I've not heard the term "whitesmith" before, though TIN wasn't hard to infer (blacksmiths work with metal ... three-letter metal ... tada). 
"A whitesmith is a metalworker who does finishing work on iron and steel such as filing, lathing, burnishing or polishing. The term also refers to a person who works with "white" or light-coloured metals, and is sometimes used as a synonym for tinsmith. Whitesmithing developed as a speciality of blacksmithing in the 1700s, when extra time was given to filing and polishing certain products." (wikipedia)
  • 45D: Classic Italian appetizer (BRUSCHETTA) — after trying to make PROSCIUTTO work here for a second, I got enough crosses to figure this one out. The "CH" in BRUSCHETTA is hard, like the "K" in ELEKTRA. Broo-SKET-uh. You can pronounce it "sh." Lots of people do. Lots of wrong people. Or, you can pronounce it like this, which is my new favorite variation:

That's all for today. See you next time.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

85 comments:

Conrad 6:15 AM  


Easy-Medium. Easy, once I got the gimmick.
* * * _ _

Overwrites:
asap before STAT at 1D.
My progeny was a scion before they were ISSUE (19A).
ULNAs before ULNAE at 41D.
Fell into the 65A trap: my "Judge of diamond value" was Assay before AARON. Quickly fixed thanks to Puerto RICO at 52D.
RESURrEcT before RESURGENT at 72D even though it's a verb, not an adjective.

WOEs:
Hairstyle EDGAR at 3D.
Needed every cross for Mötley Crüe frontman Vince NEIL at 10D.
Singer DES'REE [Thanks, @Rex, for the apostrophe] at 39A.
Rock band Psychedelic FURS at 48A.
CANOE slalom at 91D.
Christina Aguilera hit WHAT A GIRL WANTS at 112A/99D/99A, but easily inferred.

Do people say PLEAD OUT (11D), ISSUE (19A) and DECLARANT (24A)? Or just lawyers?

What @Rex said about ERECT A BARRIER (73A/54D/54A).

Lewis 6:30 AM  

Oh, very impressive grid build.

First, it’s a pretty tight theme. There aren’t many world capitals that work in this scheme. Those capitals have to be embedded in a worthy common phrase, and they have to be preceded and followed by at least two letters. Michael actually preceded and followed them by at least three.

But here’s the kicker – given these challenges, which were impressively overcome, Michael placed the six zig-zaggy theme answers SYMMETRICALLY in the box! Are you kidding me? Making those letter-counts match? Amazing.

Oh, I had fun, Michael, guessing the theme answers with as few crosses as possible, once I cracked the gimmick, and then my appreciation swelled at seeing the impressive skill it took to make this. This was one big wow for me, sir – thank you!

Rick Sacra 6:48 AM  

I thought "THANKSAMILLION" meant the capital involved was money.... but then when I figured out VICTORIACROSS, I saw there was nothing financially related, and suddenly spotted CAIRO--then looked back and saw LIMA and we were off.... 21:10 for me today, which is pretty much a Sunday PB, so it ran easy for me. Enjoyed it a lot! We do seem to have some capital-related (financial) content today, with the HOMEMORTGAGE and the CREDITLIMIT. Wanted DROOLSOVER to have DREAM in it at first, so that took a minute. Overall really enjoyable, pretty easy solve for me. Thank you, Michael!!! : )

Anonymous 6:54 AM  

Fun puzzle. I figured the theme referenced money at the thanks a million answer then was confused until the Victoria Cross answer revealed Cairo. Great AHA moment!

Son Volt 6:57 AM  

Fun to grok - densely packed and for the most part well filled. Impressive chops to build this one - not as hung up on ERECT A BARRIER as Rex is. The geography nerd in me was satisfied.

Commander Cody

The overall fill was fine. GET A GRIP, MEOWING, NUTCRACKERS are all top notch. ULNAE was in the SB on Friday. The grid loaded with trivia but other than ELEKTRA and DESREE I was good.

I SAW The Light

Isn’t a SIGH always DEEP for the most part? DECLARANT is as clunky as Rex describes. Needed crosses for the MATER - LORIS stack. NACRES is classic crosswordese.

Dan BERN

A rare occasion recently - but this was an enjoyable Sunday morning solve.

SIERRA covering John Anderson

Andy Freude 7:03 AM  

Admirable construction, not much fun to solve. For people who like this sort of puzzle, this is the sort of puzzle they’ll like. Me, I DNF’d from boredom. Glad I stopped caring about my streak a long time ago.

SouthsideJohnny 7:20 AM  

Similar to OFL, I initially pondered the possibility that we would be dealing with forms of currency, and also thought that they may be “raised” by including them upside down.

I had the entire NW section (well over half of the puzzle) completed, and basically the only empty spaces were the theme entries since I still hadn’t discerned the theme construct. The theme employs two devices that I used to get really annoyed about (unclued answers, and allowing some of the answers to dissolve into gibberish in support of the theme). I don’t even remember which answer I eventually stumbled upon, as it wasn’t an “aha” experience, so much as it was a “finally, that really shouldn’t have been that difficult”.

In retrospect, the puzzle isn’t that hard except for the legalese, another entry pulled from the bottomless pit of one-named singers, and a couple of other items that Rex mentioned. It would have been more enjoyable if I had an opportunity to sleuth out the theme entries in real time as well - but that’s a “me” thing, since as I mentioned, it really shouldn’t have been that difficult.

Denise 7:21 AM  

I came here to find out what was going on. Finished the puzzle and had no idea what it all meant. I thought, what was the point? Now I get it. Thanks.

Anonymous 7:24 AM  

I completely missed the ‘capital’ part. Saw the clues leading into [see title] and - were not long enough, caught one wrapping, went to town from there. Thought it was gimmick more than theme until reading this post.

RooMonster 7:34 AM  

Hey All !
Figured out what in tarhooties was happening fairly quickly. Can't remember now which Themer it was, but once I had one World Capital, the jig was up. (Har, unintentional pun!) Still took a minute to get them all.

Timer says 32 minutes, pretty quick for a tricky SunPuz for me. The fill is mainly good, tough to get clean fill when your Themers are zig-zagging with wild abandon all over the grid. Good job Michael.

A lot of the Themers Acrosses end up as gibberish, I'm sure some will take demerit points on that. I don't mind it much, but if you look at the grid without knowing the Theme, you'd have some questions.

Thanks for a different, fun SunPuz.

Hope y'all have a great Sunday!

One F
RooMonster
DarrinV

Colin 7:50 AM  

Easy-medium, and I liked the theme and the overall grid. VICTORIACROSS was where I saw the light. I could initially see CAIRO, and it took me a short while to figure this out. Some tough PPP crosses throughout the puzzle tempered my enthusiasm slightly, especially in the SE corner.

I just realized I wrote in COLLIDED instead of COLLIDES (13D), and so had __URD for the clue "Psychedelic ____"... leading me to wonder if they were the Psychedelic Turd or Psychedelic Curd or Psychedelic Hurd (all good names!), and then just shrugged off Psychedelic FURD as an odd band name.

Anonymous 7:55 AM  

Me too, Andy.

Anonymous 8:04 AM  

Hello Rex, thanks for your stellar work. There’s typo in your post.. main- in- rebate.

mail-in -rebate!

Alex 8:13 AM  

I really enjoyed this one, especially the long non-theme answers. I’m surprised that Rex didn’t note MEOWING, because I’m sure he hears it a lot when it’s his attention that’s being asked for. :)

EasyEd 8:15 AM  

Went all the way down the rabbit hole of looking for a financial theme. Finally figured out the “capital” idea, but never thought to reverse the spelling. In retrospect great construction concept, but unfortunately lost on me. All those “see title” and “-“ s were like one natick after the other. Gotta get far stronger coffee!

Mark 8:33 AM  

I completely agree. I think the. Times tries to make the cluing straightforward when there is trickery in the grid, but it was so straightforward in this case it was boring and tedious (with the exception of “plastic cap”. Now that was a nice clue).

Anonymous 8:52 AM  

Never got around to looking at the title after Thanks a Million wrote itself in. The other ladders were not as easy but you didn’t need a master clue any more.

egsforbreakfast 8:54 AM  

If a Greek should OUTSCORE his opponent, he might tauntingly yell IONIA at him.

When I worked on a road maintenance crew they called me the RETAR guy. Nowadays I'd be the developmentally challenge guy. After work I'd hang out with this girl who I liked. Slow LORIS ATEASE, but her sister AGGIE knows WHATAGIRLWANTS.

Man, with all of this inflation it seems like the price of tea STEEPENS every day.

I've visited all of these world capitals, but GreeNACRES is the place for me.

Nice to have a capitalist puzzle in these days of internal threats from communism. Thanks, Michael Lieberman.

Phil 9:05 AM  

I thought the same - capital means money and kept looking for that theme. Didn't even notice "LIMA" at the same time. Once you figure out the theme, there's whoosh, but my time was 2x yours. Enjoyable puzzle and appreciate the work it took to construct.

Anonymous 9:06 AM  

A fabulous and fun puzzle . What a difference from yesterday’s disaster (for me). One nit: I didn’t care for the clue to 77 across. It seemed awkward.🎈🎈🎊🎊

Anonymous 9:08 AM  

Rex, I guarantee you know another song by the Psychadelic Furs - Pretty in Pink!

Alice Pollard 9:13 AM  

I have a real special ask>>>> Help me remember an old NYT crossword. It was a December puzzle, probably within the last 5–10 years. I solved it in bed around midnight after a day in NYC (Radio City, Rockefeller Center). The only pen I could find was red, so for the only time in 40+ years I solved the puzzle in red ink. By an incredible coincidence, the puzzle itself had a RED-themed gimmick—if I remember correctly, the word RED appeared prominently in all the theme entries or was central to the theme. Does anyone remember this puzzle or know the date? THANKS in advance... my family is doubting me lol

jb129 9:23 AM  

I was really enjoying this until I got to the theme. Didn't have the patience to look for it or my typo in a Sunday-sized grid :(

Anonymous 9:25 AM  

The nuance on that pronunciation of bruschetta is sublime. Can’t wait to try it out next time I’m in Italy.

EdFromHackensack 9:33 AM  

I found this construction to be amazing. I only show my family maybe 4 puzzles a year - they don't solve, but I like to show them clever construction, This was one of them. I did not really notice it - I got the BERN one (28 across "After-the-fact discount" the answer being (across, up and across again ) MAILIN REBATE. and I filled in the BERN not realizing the theme really . it was not until I got to 71A "Fantasizes about" DROOLSOVER that I noticed "hey that spells OSLO". a big AHA moment for me . the thrill of the crossword puzzle right there. And once I got the theme I said "Rome, has got to be in here somewhere". and sure enough 110A "Bank offering for a property buyer" is HOME MORTGAGE and ROME is the raising capital segment.

Phillyrad1999 9:39 AM  

Felt like this one was a bit of a slog all for the glory of the theme with very little pay off because the fill itself as was pointed out was just ok. While not my favorite movie The Apartment is one of my favorites. It actually does make you laugh and make you cry. And Jack Leon is one of my favorite actors.

Seastate5 9:41 AM  

Took me forever to suss out the them. Thought it was a rebus at first, but that didn't go so well.
Regarding Elektra, yes the k does sound Greekish (kappa), but it's actually because Strauss was German. The "hard c" is almost always a borrowed word, which of course Electra is. But an "e" follows it, it is pronounced "ts", which would sound funny. Hence the "k".

Liveprof 9:41 AM  

After yesterday's bout with flatulence, did we really need to see GAS at 82D?

Chagall had quite a temper. Those close to him were well-advised to beware the ires of Marc.

A good source of book recommendations: REDDIT.

USAGE: 250!

Almond crisps: NUTCRACKERS

The story of my life in three answers in the SE: AGING. WHATAGIRLWANTS: NOTME.

Anonymous 9:55 AM  

I’m not fond of this type of theme. Basically don’t think it’s worth the effort.

Anonymous 10:11 AM  

Once again the Times lowers its standards. SIERRA is already plural. There are no such things as SIERRAS. I suppose their excuse is that there are people ignorant enough that they actually refer to the mountain range as the SIERRAS rather than the SIERRA.

Villager

Anonymous 10:38 AM  

Hated it

Liveprof 10:39 AM  

Count me among the ignorant. At least I know how to pronounce BRUSCHETTA. Thanks, RP!

Anonymous 10:46 AM  

I’m not sure how knowing what you did that day or what color ink you used is going to help anyone nature it down. Maybe if you told us what you ate?

David Eisner 10:53 AM  

My current streak (116) is a monkey on my back. I guess there are worse addictions, like heroin or influencing.

An Italian grad student kindly but firmly corrected my BRUSCHETTA pronunciation years ago, and I've been saying it correctly and feeling superior when I order at Applebee's ever since.

Anonymous 10:53 AM  

The Apartment is perfect—movie wise.
Apparently Fred McMurray got an earful from a woman at Disneyland upbraiding him for playing such a bad guy. Told bis wife tgat night he would never play another villain again. And he didn’t

Anonymous 11:12 AM  

With "thanks a million" and "mail-in rebate" AND then ATM I hung on to the money angle way too long, which "cost" me some time but I didn't lose "interest" which finally "paid off"!

Chris 11:15 AM  

"Shut up and deal." Possibly the greatest movie ending of all time.

Anonymous 11:15 AM  

Had the same "feline" when I saw the answer.

Gary Jugert 11:19 AM  

@Anonymous 10:11 AM
This is a weird "hill" to die on, but while you might be right, I have lived my entire life out west and I've only ever heard them called the SIERRAS. I suppose its entirely possible I've surrounded myself with only ignorant people. On the other hand, NACRES is the plural I think is vexing unless there's multiple types of NACRE my ignorant friends haven't told me about.

Anonymous 11:19 AM  

If SIERRA is plural, what's the singular form? SIERRUM? SIERRUS? Never heard of either.

Anonymous 11:23 AM  

Fun fact: the great Aaron Judge (go Yankees!) played in the Cape Cod Baseball League summer of 2012 on the Brewster Whitecaps. A star then too, of course.

Anonymous 11:23 AM  

RE: canoe slalom, goog Davey Hearn, the Olympian "slash" reflecting pool vandal.

Rex Parker 11:25 AM  

Extremely agree. So pure it makes me cry.

Rex Parker 11:27 AM  

MacMurray played Walter Neff in 1944 so that bad-guy ship had pretty much sailed by 1960 lol

Anonymous 11:29 AM  

Eh speaking as someone who done who grew up in California I can tell you “The Sierras” is pretty common and has been for a long time.

jb129 11:30 AM  

Have to agree - don't really care about streaks anymore :(

Anonymous 11:35 AM  

FYI, the Strauss opera is only spelled with a K ("Elektra") because that's the German spelling.

Liveprof 11:38 AM  

Did spellcheck (or something) change narrow to nature for you? That's an aggressive leap.

puzzlehoarder 11:43 AM  

Very much a medium Sunday solve. Most of the difficulty came from the convoluted themers. I haven't seen anyone mentioning that SNAKE is in the fill but that gives a good description of what the themers do. Maybe it's presence in the grid is just a coincidence.

The capital/Capitol pun was distracting for me too especially due to AMILLION being in the first themer you encounter. The NW corner was deceptively easy until I ran into 25A. After that the solve was a bit of a slog.

The "sworn account" portion of the clue for DECLARANT (a word I've never seen) made me want to enter AFFIANT(word I learned from the SB.) Of course it doesn't fill the alloted spaces but it's a much better fit for the clue as an affidavit is a "sworn account."

After solving I looked up DECLARANT (it actually is a word.) It's specific to an immigrant who's signing their "first papers " DECLARing their intention to become a citizen. My Webster's is from 1989 so it says nothing about them being immediately deported by ICE.

Masked and Anonymous 11:48 AM  

Always good to have a new reason to zigzag the puztheme answers. This puz capitalized well on that.
Not a real feisty solvequest, since the positions of the capitals were gimme-flagged by [See title] clues.
fave {-} answer: LLION. Nervous cry from a safari tourist.

staff weeject pick: JAM. Nice dad-joke clue. Also evidently a mom-joke, at the constructioneer's house.

fave things: GUESSTIMATE. SOJOURNED. ANDONANDON. DEEPSIGH.

Thanx a -, Mr. Lieberman dude. A bit different. Like different.

Masked & Anonymo11Us

p.s.
Runt puzzle:
**gruntz**

M&A

Anonymous 12:05 PM  

Dumbest most frustrating puzzle I have ever attempted to solve!😠

Anonymous 12:08 PM  

5/6/21 was a “Red Themed” puzzle. Doesn’t seem like there are any December puzzles with that particular theme. Maybe it was an older one or in a book of crosswords?

Anonymous 12:12 PM  

Yup, having the very first theme answer involve MILLION was bad constructing/editing. I fell into the same trap you did, but never got out. Only realized the theme once I came here, and misunderstanding the theme definitely slowed me down.

Masked and Anonymous 12:20 PM  

Well ... not a December puz, but the Thursday, May 6, 2021 one definitely had a RED-theme.

M&A Help Desk

Dr Random 12:24 PM  

Had a long car-ride last week and decided to spend it with 90s music nostalgia, and since I was indeed alive a near a radio back then, “You Gotta Be” was among the hits that brought me back to high school. I was pondering how many one-hit-wonders we had back then: Four Non-Blondes, The Proclaimers, Natalie Imbruglia, Deep Blue Something, The Wallflowers, Semisonic, Blind Melon, Chumbawamba…and of course DES’REE. I wonder if the phenomenon of a whole generation’s nostalgia music will exist in the future since most of us stream our music now.

Anonymous 12:32 PM  

Attorney here: “Declarant” as a legal term does not require the statement to be sworn (at least in Florida).

I would use “plead out” (as in rhyming with “bed”) in the past tense and “plea out” in the present tense. So “pleads out” is very awkward, to me at least.

Anonymous 12:33 PM  

Count me in on that and then I was just confused until I came here - doh! Now it seems so clear…

jae 12:43 PM  

Medium. I took me a while to get the hang of the theme answers so, while the puzzle wasn’t particularly hard, the solving process ate up some nanoseconds.

Fun Sunday, liked it.

Teedmn 12:53 PM  

That clip of whacky BRUSCHETTA pronunciation confirms in my mind that any of those pronunciation vids with that black and white format are all bogus. If I ask Google for pronunciation help and one of those shows up, I avoid it - it's most likely misleading and wrong.

I cheated to get the theme - I wasn't getting any traction on them - like Rex, I was waiting for a currency to fill in. I finally revealed a couple of squares on THANKS_???, saw the A MILLION and thought, "OHO!" After that, I had no problem filling in the rest of the theme answers. And I was glad to finally see what "Fantasizes about" would end up to be when I had D_O_ in place. DROOLS OVER, fun.

Michael Lieberman, I liked this Sunday creation, thanks!

Andy Freude 12:54 PM  

That reminds me of the first time I saw Double Indemnity (one of my favorites), after growing up on My Three Sons and Flubber movies. I couldn’t believe it was the same actor.

I saw The Apartment only once, decades ago, and don’t remember MacMurray being in it at all. Clearly, I need to revisit it!

Anonymous 1:02 PM  

Same. Not fun.

okanaganer 1:32 PM  

I was baffled until I got my first theme answer; I think it was 69 across VICTORIACROSS. From that, it looked like they were also going to form a proper word in the upper across answer (in this case, CROSS). But it turned out only MAILINREBATE also did that trick (BATE).

Sundays are almost always tedious but this went pretty smooth at 24 minutes. It helped that the "raising capital" answers were all signaled by the clue "[See title]" so I was on guard for those.

Not too many amusing clues... 32 down "Plastic cap" was probably the best. And today's "clue that is way too long and complex for such a simple answer" award goes to the last across at 113: GRAPE.

melvillean 2:13 PM  

You probably also know the song “Heaven” by the Psychedelic Furs

Georgia 2:28 PM  

Very clever! A fun Sunday.

Alice Pollard 2:29 PM  

Thank you all for searching, I appreciate it. But it definitely was a December puzzle, thats why I put the detail in about Radio City etc, thats how I remember it. Might have been 10 years ago? Would love to find it...thanks.

Matthew 2:34 PM  

I think Americans are the only ones who incorrectly pronounce the "sch" in "bruschetta" as "sh". Purely from an anecdotal perspective but in every other English-speaking place I've been, the "sch" gets the "k" treatment. But when I pronounce it with the "k" in America, I feel snobby.

Anonymous 2:37 PM  

“I was just looking at the Pretty in Pink soundtrack earlier today (that is, Saturday). They sang the title song.”

Les S. More 2:41 PM  

I have to pile on here and agree with @Gary and a bunch of other people. I have family living just west of the Sierras. One family group used to live in South Tahoe but they’ve moved to Folsom to be nearer to their aging father who used to run a pizza joint in Placerville. There’s also a part of that family who used to reside in Stockton. They’ve leased out their farm there and moved to the Folsom area so they, too, could be closer to Dad. This makes it easier to visit them all and when they ask if we want to check out the wineries in the Sierras, we don’t think to correct them. It’s what everyone says. It’s a fine example of “usage” triumphing over “rules”.

As for NACRES, that’s possibly technically correct, but it is just too ugly to consider. It’s like saying “mooses”. (Auto-correct wouldn’t let me type that. But it let me type NACRES. Hmmm.)

And, @David Eisner, don’t get me going on BRUSCHETTA. “Kindly” is the right way to go. I gave up on that one years ago but my tactic for polite correction was, after Mary offered me some brooshetta, to wait a few seconds and then turn to one of the other guests and ask, “George, do you want to try some of this wonderful broosketta that that Mary made?” If Mary tried to correct me, we’d have a discussion on how to use the letter C in Italian. If not, we’d just let it slide. Language changes through misuse. Mary’s not a villain. Well, she was when she decided to bake a round of Brie with a pineapple slice on top of it.

thefogman 3:06 PM  

It would have been better if all the theme answers also had a financial aspect to them like the ones at 25A, 28A and 110A. Too many tiny words and many of them are junk like SCH, ENT, ATM, OWS, LSU, OHO. I could GOONANDON...

Ken Freeland 3:07 PM  

Count me with the vast majority who liked this puzzle...ultimately solvable with no naticks and clever construction...what's not to like?

LorrieJJ 3:39 PM  

Yes, you should definitely revisit kept The Apartment. Absolutely one of the best movies out there. And without a f***, either spoken or literal. Just excellent actors playing human characters. It's feel-good movie at its best.

Brian Tung 3:43 PM  

What on earth is going on with bron-TOO-pis-toh? Hahaha...

Just a hair on the easier side, at 70 percent of my average. I like the theme, and I don't think it could have gone the other way; if you reverse the capital, then completing the long answer is just finding phrases with capitals hidden inside them in the usual order. So I'm good with it the way it is.

It would've been nice if the answer ends had made sense; for instance, MAILIN would make sense if clued "___ vote" and BATE could be clued "Restrain" (although it's a bit on the archaic side). But for the most part the other ones don't work that way—there's no good way to clue LLION, for one.

That's two days in a row that Rex has added an additional syllable to A FORTIORI. On the other hand, I also thought ERECT (A BARRIER) was going to get blue for a moment, before I figured out the theme.

I didn't realize SOJOURNED meant what it did; I thought it was just a more poetic version of "journeyed." Stash away for future reference!

Errors: CHILD for ISSUE. (Could've been SCION too, I suppose.) REBATE for MAILIN. STALE for TRITE. OBEYED for WAITED. GRAD for ALUM. ASAP for STAT. ELECTRA for ELEKTRA. (Is that really an error?) ZORRO for ELCID (?!). Not too crazy, but not very clean either, and it probably slowed me down more than it should've.

Stillwell 3:45 PM  

Yep, +1. A clever misdirect!

Anonymous 4:01 PM  

Lack of profanity has absolutely nothing to do w/ this movies greatness. No movie in 1960 had f-words. Such a strange, prudish comment.

Anonymous 4:21 PM  

Also, people do literally fuck in the apartment. That’s literally what the apartment is for.

Anonymous 4:43 PM  

Elektra has to be with a K because it is an opera in German written by a German and that’s how you spell it in German.

Anonymous 4:47 PM  

This old timer knows that sierra is Spanish for mountain ridge or range. The one between California and Nevada are snow covered in Winter. In
Spanish snow covered is nevada. Sierra Nevada is literally snow covered range. And they have been called the Sierras all my life, probably going back to Gold Rush days.

Anonymous 4:47 PM  

same exact

dgd 5:53 PM  

Anonymous 12:32 pm
I am a retired criminal defense attorney When I did the puzzle, pleads out didn’t bother me at all. I just looked it up. It googles well. Big country. Hundreds of thousands of lawyers in fifty states and a separate Federal system with lots of variation Any one person is not going to know everything. So I check and pleads out is a thing. (Also in spoken English it is hard to tell the difference)
I always think of declarant as dealing with admissibility issues in civil and criminal trials. So yes ,I also associate it with unsworn statements. But apparently, a declarant can give a sworn statement also. An editor or the constructor looked up. It’s close enough for crosswords.

Anonymous 6:07 PM  

ny times must have known it was World Cup final today the disconnect from reality with no reference to this incredible day is my issue with the puzzle - not a bad puzzle per se just out of touch have a blessed Sunday

dgd 6:08 PM  

I was a bit confused about the meaning of capital but then I saw the city names. I don’t think it’s bad editing at all. As Lewis pointed out, the themers are symmetrical! Another level of difficulty.so maybe the money reference was unavoidable.
The cities actually made the puzzle easier for me. Like I saw RIGA before I got the whole answer

Gary Jugert 6:21 PM  

Y sigue y sigue y sigue.

This kept me engaged from a puzzling perspective, so that's a win, but it's so fiddly I remember mostly being halted over and over. I guess I didn't have anything better to do. The fill seemed like so much short stuff and yet kept me on my toes as crosses were critical throughout. Kinda wish the capitals were upside down and went up.

Reddit is the heart of the internet in the same way as any MAGA wonk is the heart of truth. If you want a guaranteed source of bad information, they both are the essence of reliability.

I thought the SOJOURNING was the traveling, not checking into the hotel. Of course if you're checking in with VASCO de Gama about his sojourns, he'd tell you it's about murdering unarmed locals.

Cool to learn about whitesmithing.

ISEE it's OHO not AHA.

❤️ GLOM. AND ON AND ON. TRAFFIC JAM.

😩 ULNAE.

I watched the last few minutes of soccer since my wife had it on the TV because she likes big spectacles like that and it is still as wonderful as I remember. Watching paint dry is action packed by comparison. Here's a good way to make professional golf seem great.

Note: Obviously this puzzle is littered with partials and places, but I don't count them if they're part of the theme.

But yeah, it's guuuuunky.

People: 10
Places: 6
Products: 17
Partials: 14
Foreignisms: 2
--
Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 49 of 133 (37%)

Funny Factor: 5 😐

Tee-Hee: BATE. DROOLS OVER. ERECT. CORSET.

Uniclues:

1 What happens when the asbestos testing comes back positive.

1 STEEPENS GUESSTIMATE

My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Pro-cannabis frère-hood. TRÈS WEED CREW.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dgd 6:33 PM  

M & A
LLION Safari etc
I did laugh out loud One of your best ones!

Anonymous 7:31 PM  

OK, I stand corrected (mostly). Sierra evidently means chain of mountains. The Sierra Nevada is the snowy chain of mountains, not the snowy mountains. So it's the kind of noun like milk that is singular but has no plural.

But if lots of people say Sierras, then it's standard usage by now and we can't blame the Times.

Villager

Anonymous 8:01 PM  

Hated this. The gimmick was totally opaque, didn't finish half of it. Awful.

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP