Cuban dance style / TUE 7--21-26 / 2023 double-platinum Chappell Roan record / Reactions akin to "OMG!" / chocolate bar's pronouns in a corny joke / Awe-inspiring solar phenomenon / Plumbing fixture found under the sink
Tuesday, July 21, 2026
Constructor: Kenneth Cortes
Relative difficulty: Easy (oversized at 16x15)
Theme answers:
- "BADA-BING, BADA-BOOM!" (17A: "Easy-peasy!")
- SANDBLAST (28A: Clean with a rough spray)
- STARBURST (43A: Colorful taffy candy brand)
- "RED WINE SUPERNOVA" (56A: 2023 double-platinum Chappell Roan record)
Contradanza (also called contradanza criolla, danza, danza criolla, or habanera) is the Spanish and Spanish-American version of the contradanse, which was an internationally popular style of music and dance in the 18th century, derived from the English country dance and adopted at the court of France. Contradanza was brought to America and there took on folkloric forms that still exist in Bolivia, Mexico, Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, Panama and Ecuador.
In Cuba during the 19th century, it became an important genre, the first written music to be rhythmically based on an African rhythm pattern and the first Cuban dance to gain international popularity, the progenitor of danzón, mambo and cha-cha-cha, with a characteristic "habanera rhythm" and sung lyrics.
Outside Cuba, the Cuban contradanza became known as the habanera – the dance of Havana – and that name was adopted in Cuba itself subsequent to its international popularity in the later 19th century, though it was never so called by the people who created it. (wikipedia)
There wasn't anything particularly tricky about today's puzzle, outside the theme. I didn't know HABANERA (probably had it in the grid as HABAÑERO at first) and I wanted "THAT HURT!" to be "THAT HURTS!," which was pretty easily ... adaptable. Had to wait for the Japanese city to develop—got the first few letters and thought NAGANO before NAGASAKI (probably because NAGANO appears in the crossword more often). The only thing I know about NAGASAKI is the nuclear attack, so it's nice to get a different angle on it here (6D: Japanese city that's home to the Chinese Sofukuji Temple). I liked all the animals roaming around the grid—there's some LABS and another DOG and a HISSing cat, plus a BIRD and, and then bam (boom, bang!), out of nowhere: a herd of RHINOS! (46D: Heavyweight beasts, familiarly).
Bullets:
- 21A: Awe-inspiring solar phenomenon (AURORA) — I didn't know it qualified as an awe-inspiring solar phenomenon without the "Borealis" after it.
- 43A: Colorful taffy candy brand (STARBURST) — You know, I ate STARBURST throughout my childhood and occasionally in my adulthood and I never thought of them as "taffy." I'm not disputing the description. It's just ... taffy occupied a completely different slot in my brain's candy categorization. You'd see it pulled at the fair, or else get it in individually wax paper-wrapped little pieces. Also, I think of taffy as way chewier than STARBURST. Salt water taffy, that's what I'm thinking of.
- 39D: "___/she" (chocolate bar's pronouns in a corny joke) ("HER") — is this the corny joke? This clue right here? I guess I can imagine a chocolate lover saying "my pronouns are Hershey." My experience is that lots of people don't exactly have a sense of humor about pronoun jokes. I think this is a non-boring way to clue HER, so I'm for it.
- 56D: World of Warcraft, e.g., in brief (RPG) — minor trouble here in the SW as I wrote in WOW here ("WoW" = a common abbreviation for World of Warcraft). I then wrote in WELPS for 63A: Reactions akin to "OMG!" (GASPS). "Welp" is far more a resigned exclamation than it is an "OMG!" equivalent. Even after changing WOW to RPG (role-playing game). I wanted GULPS before GASPS.
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:
- Pop Sensation (vintage paperbacks)


















35 comments:
16 wide grid again today, lots of 3s (22 of them!), and a very segmented grid. Felt like you really had to engage with the themers to move around the grid. 8:57, so medium for a Tuesday for me. Enjoyed the theme, would not have imagined trying to spell out BADABINGBADABOOM…. Liked the revealer—the revealer itself fulfills the reveal, so could have added the central revealer to the list. Enjoyed BODEGA, AURORA, NAGASAKI and SONORA. And really interesting to name a dance style after a pepper! (Or is it the other way around?) Thanks for this, Kenneth!
Monday-on-Tuesday Easy. As is typical for me with early-week puzzles, I solved without reading the theme clues.
* * * _ _
Overwrites:
Before reading the 9D clue, HABANERo before HABANERA.
aided before DEALT for gave a hand at 14A.
Near-overwrite: I had STARBU___ at 43A and how could it be anything but STARBUcks? But I saw RHINOS at 46D before I typed it in (STARBURST).
u-TRAP before P-TRAP for the 61A undersink fixture.
WOEs:
I don't know RED WINE SUPERNOVA or any Chappell Roan record.
I'm guessing that of you who use name rather anonymous have an easy way of doing it. I have to select"name"and type it in very time. I would like to know to not have do that.
I agree with Rex's rating. Mostly Monday-level-easy, but a fun solve.
Wasn't sure about REDWINESUPERNOVA, so I needed an alphabet run at the RPG cross. Otherwise, smooth sailing.
An aurora is indeed awe inspiring on its own, whether it's northern - Borealis, or southern - Australis.
A clever Tuesday puzzle. Didn’t know the Chappell Roan song til now, but easily inferable from crosses. Props to any song that rhymes “supernova” with “stoner.”
Andy Freude (hey/you)
As your resident alphadoppeltotter, a role I’ve inexplicably taken in the past eight years, it is my duty to inform you that this puzzle has an unusually low number of double letters, at four, where unusual is any number less than five. This is the fourth time this year that this has happened.
I remain your humble servant, ever on the alert.
Very enjoyable and well done Tuesday. If you are the dad of a 21 yo daughter you not only know who Chappell Roan is but you kind of enjoy her music. Would put her in the upper tier of today’s songwriters and performers. Give it a try. Long car rides without control of the tunes introduced me to her and I was glad.
Habanera is the dance. Habanero is a pepper. Same mistake
Fun - neatly revealed with 16 wide spanning themers. BADA BING is top notch. The center area is packed with shorts but the grid flows smoothly.
HABANERA
Overall fill was early weekish - not a lot of cringe. Loved OH GROW UP, THAT HURT and RHINOS. Straightforward - not sure I paused much corner to corner. HEINIE always makes me chuckle in the SB - same today.
BIRD DOG
Enjoyable Tuesday morning solve. A note from the weekend - our blog pal Rafa constructed a fantastic Stumper on Saturday - highly recommended if you’re looking for some fire.
Jennifer Save Me
BADABING easy to get, REDWINE would have taken a Bibical miracle. Once nearly had my face burned off by a too hasty ingestion of an HABANERoS-loaded salsa on corn chips in a Mexican restaurant. Our waiter saw my distress and grabbed two bottles of beer from in front of two startled bar patrons and rushed to my rescue.
Well, the Libra in me achieved ultimate balance from this puzzle.
On one hand, the fireworks, ka-pow, and kablooie of the theme kindled buoyancy and spark. Here was a puzzle that truly had pop. It brought me alive, got me buzzing.
On the other, as I looked over the completed grid, with its remarkably junk-free answer set, I went to a zen place of calm, of serenity. This doesn’t happen very often; it takes a special puzzle to trigger it. I’m never looking for it; it just happens.
Vibrant and chill, now that’s a rare and wonderful state of mind to be in, and that’s how I left the box today. That is a gift, Kenneth. Thank you for making this!
Is that what BADABINGBADABOOM means? I hear people use occasionally, but never knew the meaning. Felt like I had a lot of wrong kealoa guesses today, like HiP/HEP, Eon/ERA, naG/DOG.
@Rex, not all aurorae of the boreal type. Aurora australis, for example is the southern equivalent.
I wasn’t on the constructor’s wavelength today, even before I got to the grid-spanner down south that was the name of a song I had not heard of. It’s Tuesday, so I was able to work/LABOR/toil my way through it via the crosses.
I usually look forward to Tuesday’s as I anticipate a break from parsing together cross after cross to come up with items such as HABANERA, SONORO and the aforementioned PPP grid-spanner.
I know dupes are no longer personal non grata (if they ever were), but OH GROW UP, and OH YEAH still seems a bit uninspired to me as well. So probably a wavelength thing - Rex gave it the extra half a star - three would be plenty in my estimation.
And Bonomo Turkish Taffy ... something about slapping it hard on the table?
@sharonAK - first step is to get a gmail account. If you don't have one, it is free to get one and fairly easy at google.com. I got mine just in order to be able to be comment without putting in my name every time. If you have a gmail account, and are logged on, you should see another option under "comment as".
If you scroll way up you should get a line on top with either "sign in" or "sign out" in the right corner. If you sign in, Blogger will remember you (at least most of the time). If you don't have an account on Blogger you may have to create one.
Hey All !
16 wider today. More puz for the money. BADA BING!
Liked the BANG synonym Theme.
Wondering if Kenneth's original clue for OH YEAH was about the Kool-Aid Man. Those of us of a certain age grew up with those commercials.
Stupid one-letter DNF, had PTRAy/HEy, even going as far as saying to myself that I'd never heard of a PTRAy. Sakes alive. PTRAP I've heard of.
46 Blockers, which is high, even though grid is 16x15. If you notice, there are 6 Cheater Squares, hence the high amount. I particularly don't mind Cheaters if they lead to cleaner fill.
Good puz overall. Keeps the gears turning in the ole brain.
Hope y'all have a great Tuesday!
No F's - I AUGHTS to GASPS
RooMonster
DarrinV
I don't think I've ever eaten a STARBURST candy, and I don't expect that I ever will, so I had no idea that it was a kind of taffy. But that had to be it, so it wasn't really a difficulty.
The puzzle was fine, but after BADA BING, BADA BOOM the rest was sort of a letdown, at least until RED WINE SUPERNOVA--which I'd never heard of, either, but what a great title.
It's true that the AURORA is caused by solar radiation, but I wouldn't call it a "solar phenomenon." That would be a solar flare or sunspot. Still, easy enough to get.
I listen to music almost every waking moment...except when I'm doing the crossword. Today, however, I decided to listen to "Morning Glory" during my solve, a song which clocks in with a 5:03 run time and nicely bookended my solve time of 4:02. Kismet!
I agree with Rex on not thinking of Starbursts as taffy. Though my childhood reference is not saltwater taffy which someone would sometimes bring home from Atlantic City, but the far superior Turkish Taffy. No idea about the Roan song or any other songs by her but it wasn't hard to infer.
My pen practically wrote in the fill by itself. A fun puzzle.🎈🎈🎊🎊
Anyone else feel any unease with Nagasaki being included in this grid given the theme?
A bit insensitive, IMO, to include NAGASAKI in a puzzle about explosions. RP noted the connection, so it occurred to me.
TIL pronoun jokes are actually a thing. They are often malicious and directed at trans folks, like they don't have enough tsouris. The Human Rights Campaign has some material on it.
Now, to my usual nonsense.
Nothing of historical substance occurred during the two terms of President Phineas T. Haban in the early 1800's. So very few people even remember the HABAN ERA.
I. RON Hubbard: L. Ron's lesser known brother.
One should try not to confuse ONE'S IE with one's eg.
Trump is such an ass, his pronouns should be HEE/HAW.
I knew a woman who was such a snob, her pronouns were CHI/CHI
(saw this one) - How to comfort the target of a malicious pronoun joke: their their.
@Rick Sacra, I usually reach a point of frustration when there's an abundance of three-letter fill (22 would qualify), and then count the additional number of plurals (12 of them here, 4 of them three-letter words pluralized).
But the puzzle today was apparently lively enough that I never took those counts until reading your comment. So I came here predicting four stars from Rex, but 3-1/2 does seem right.
Thank you for posting that Bizet Habeñera link so I didn’t have to! Definitely an aria that people know without knowing they know.
The thing about HABANERo, which I also originally had, is that it leaves you with the revealer as GOOUTWITHABoNG, a phrase that had me chuckling.
When the Gores want a smoke, ALBUMS one.
Lad: What should I do when I'm an adult, Dad?
Dad: OHGROWUP to have a SONORA daughter and take them out to SEASON.
True MAGAites are Republican heathens. I always had the feeling that Lindsey Graham and JD Vance are Republican heathens in name only (RHINOS). I'm not saying it's better to have no principles, just different.
This was a total blast. Thanks, Kenneth Cortes.
Fun Tuesday solve overall, with a bunch of interesting fill, despite tons of short stuff.
Pretty sure (but willing to stand corrected) that "BADA BING" (with or without) "BADA BOOM" is a stereotypical Itialianism. I'm only half paisano, perhaps explaining why I've never uttered that expression.
Comments by Rex and others here about whether a STARBURST is taffy would have been moot if the clue had simply been "Colorful candy brand". There are plenty, but it would have been obvious with crosses. Another example of how "Less is more" should be employed more often in cluing.
I showed my wife the picture of the BADA BING sign and she asked "Is that near where Rex lives?" It does seem to warrant some 'splaining.
Easiest Tuesday ever, and fun :)
Thank you, Kenneth
Ug. Now I do.
Couldn't remember the name of the Chappell Roan song, and couldn't figure out why Champagne Super Nova was playing on a loop in my brain when I got to the southern portion of the puzzle. Subliminal solving for the win!
Saw where we were going after the BOOM and BLAST endings but then the revealer showed up right in the middle of things (where it doesn't belong, ahem) and having read the clue I just filled it in. Oh well.
Waited for crosses to finish HABANER__which is something or someone from La Habana Cuba. Nice to see SONORA. There's a series of kids books that I devoured about the American Legion baseball team from tiny SONORA NM who goes all the way to their World Series and of course wins it all, defeating NYC, Chicago, and New Orleans when their star pitcher and our hero hits a grand slam in the bottom of the ninth, because of course he does.
I know people go all the way to Finland and Norway to see the AURORA (that would be the borealis variety) but one winter here in NH we had what would have been a drought in the summer, Very cold, but no snow, and the lake in front of our house froze very solid but without snow was what we call "black ice". Just like a mirror, and in February there was a spectacular display of the northern lights which was doubled when reflected on the lake's surface. I don't think it gets any better than that.
Hello to REDWINESUPERNOVA, a total no-know. And hi AYO. Sorry I can't remember you.
I liked your Tuesday very much, KC. A Keeper Crossword for sure, and thanks for all the fun.
This came in at my exact average Tuesday time, with two write-overs - the SAN beginning of 28A had me thinking SANitized, picturing someone spraying Lysol - not very rough, that. And I guess my brain, like Rex, wasn't accepting taffy as a description of STARBURSTs because I threw in SouR, expecting it to be something akin to gummy worms. There was no problem correcting either of these.
I thought it was BADdA-BING; I was wrong.
Kealoa of HEP/HiP.
Thanks, Kenneth Cortes!
I don’t think there’s a tilde on HABANERA
You just said what I also had thought about “solar phenomenon.” But maybe we just both overthought it…
Post a Comment