Drawback to a brownstone / SUN 10-4-26 / Victor Hugo's religious epic poem / Electronic musician Steve / Pioneering satellite launched 10/4/1957 / Maxim about surviving in a rapidly changing world / Title for Horatio Magellan Crunch / Prefix with "wife" for some influencers / Seven-plus-hour exam with a lunch break, in brief / No-nos for many high-profile actors

Sunday, October 4, 2026

Constructor: Kathryn Bale

Relative difficulty: Easy


THEME: "10-4" — a celebration (?) of TRUCKER DAY (!?!?) (110A: 10/4 celebration ... as suggested by this grid, which is made up entirely of 10- and 4-letter answers) — that's it: all answers are either 10 or 4 letters long

Theme answers:
  • all of them, I guess; also:
  • "UNDERSTOOD" (21A: "10-4")
  • DIFFERENCE (14D: Result of 10 - 4, e.g.)
  • SPUTNIK ONE (67D: Pioneering satellite launched 10/4/1957)
Word of the Day: Carlton FISK (93D: Hall-of-Fame catcher Carlton) —

Carlton Ernest Fisk (born December 26, 1947), nicknamed "Pudge" and "the Commander", is an American former professional baseball catcher who played 24 seasons in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Boston Red Sox and the Chicago White Sox. In 1972, he was the first player to be unanimously voted American League (AL) Rookie of the Year. Fisk is best known for his game-winning home run in the 12th inning of Game 6 of the 1975 World Series, during which he memorably waved his arms hoping for the batted ball to remain fair.

At the time of his retirement, Fisk held the record for most home runs all-time by a catcher with 376 (since surpassed by Mike Piazza). He has held several age- or longevity-related records, including the record for most games played at the position of catcher with 2,226 (later surpassed by Iván Rodríguez, who also shared Fisk's nickname "Pudge"). Fisk still holds the AL record for most years served at the position (24). Fisk was voted to the All-Star team 11 times and won three Silver Slugger Awards which is awarded annually to the best offensive player at each position. In 2000, Fisk was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame. (wikipedia)


• • •


I don't have much nice to say about this one, so I'll start by saying I appreciate that they ran this on the day itself (10/4) and I think the grid looks kinda cool. Unusual blocking, with every kind of symmetry imaginable (90º rotational, 180º rotational, plus horizontal and vertical and diagonal mirror symmetries). If you just look at it as a physical object and ignore the fact that it's a puzzle that one has to solve, then the puzzle is very nice indeed. But ... the ultra-restrictive terms of the grid (all 10s and 4s) really really cost you in places, and even if the grid didn't contain some real clunkers, it still just wouldn't be enough. There's almost no thematic content (beyond the revealer and the three answers listed above, one of which (DIFFERENCE) is a stretttttch), so you're left solving what feels like a really awkward themeless .... which is pretty much exactly what it is. 


The "theme" is almost purely architectural. And ... what puzzle is improved by *limiting* itself to 4s?! Those are the answers you usually try to keep at a minimum because you simply can't do much interesting with them. But here it's just 4s as far as the eye can see. They aren't particularly bad fours, they're just ... fours. There's only so much potential upside to 4s. So as far as any interest goes, all you've got are 10s. Some of those are fine, but almost none of them are real marquee-worthy winners, and one of them is the most laughable long answer I've seen ... ever? Maybe. That answer: OLDER PIPES? (8D: Drawback to a brownstone). I'm cackling. I might, maybe, almost, if I was feeling charitable, give you OLD PIPES. OLDER is killing me. It's not that you would never say that, it's just ... older than what? I had OLDER PAINT in there for a bit, back when I had the "12 Days of Christmas" bird as a SWAN (which is what it should've been—there are no DOVEs in that song, only (famously) turtleDOVEs!). "Oh, Danny Boy, the OLDER PIPES are calling from GLUT to BEEN..."


And why do we have this "theme?" For some made-up "day"? I feel bad for truckers because of the high cost of diesel, I really do, so no offense to truckers, but this is not a day, and if it is a day, one on which truckers deserve to be celebrated, well ... they deserve better than this. And then the puzzle can't even figure out how to let you, the solver, figure out the "10-4" gimmick; instead, the puzzle just explains it to you in the revealer clue. That is not how you do a revealer! I'm supposed to figure something out. By solving. That's the contract, that's how it works. It's like explaining why a joke is funny. If you have to explain, you failed somewhere along the line. Maybe if the 10s had absolutely shimmered today I would've had warmer feelings for this thing. But it's hard to have warm feelings for EMAIL ALERT or ABOARD SHIP or END OF AN ERA (58A: Epoch conclusion?) (an "epoch" is not an "era"—this is why Taylor Swift didn't have an "Epochs Tour") or PASTA SALAD or SPRINT CARS or SUIT TO A TEE or SOLO ARTIST or ROAD MARKER or especially ADAPT OR DIE, a loathsome slogan (74D: Maxim about surviving in a rapidly changing world). Also loathsome—the whole TRAD wife thing (most of those "influencer" accounts are fake, and anyway, it turns out anti-feminist men actually hate TRAD wives as much as they hate all women, so what is the point?). You could avoid TRAD altogether. Just put LANE over APEX instead of LAVA over APED, and poof, goodbye TRAD wife (76D: Prefix with "wife" for some influencers).


Bullets:
  • 29A: "___ the One" (song on  Springsteen's "Born to Run") — two days in a row that we get a fill-in-the-blank song title clue from a non-famous B-side (yesterday, Abba's "OUR Last Summer," the B-side to "Thank You for the Music"; today "SHE'S the One," the B-side to "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out"). There are genuinely famous musical possibilities for "SHE'S": Hall & Oates's "SHE'S Gone"; Patsy Cline's "SHE'S Got You"; Cyndi Lauper's debut album, SHE'S So Unusual; Cole Porter's "Miss Otis Regrets (SHE'S Unable to Lunch Today)"; etc.
  • 71A: Classic brand with the slogan "When it rains it pours" (MORTON SALT) — I really—and I mean really—thought "Morton" was a possessive (i.e. "MORTON'S"). Maybe I'm getting Morton confused with Gorton's—both their mascots are wearing rain gear!!!


  • 79A: Electronic musician Steve (AOKI) — forgot about him. He's the AOKI who replaced ISAO AOKI ... Benihana's founder is Rocky AOKI, I just found out. Those are your three crossword AOKIs, and that's it, as far as I know. (The first Japanese ambassador to the U.S. was an AOKI, but that clue hasn't been used since the '50s).
  • 90D: Femme fatale-filled genre (NOIR) — this made me laugh. Specifically, the "filled" part. "NOIR: Now With 50% More Femmes Fatales!" There's usually just the one in any given NOIR, if that.
  • 93A: Defense in a snowball fight (FORT) — I had MOAT, lol. "Good luck hitting me with a snowball now, suck-" [gets hit directly in face]
  • 38D: Victor Hugo's religious epic poem (DIEU) — super-obscure. I've never even heard of it. Why would anyone have heard of this?:

Dieu (French pronunciation: [djø], "God", 1891) is a long religious epic by Victor Hugo, parts of which were written between 1855 and 1862. It was left unfinished, and published after his death.

When it was rejected by his publisher in 1857, Hugo tried to integrate it into Petites Epopées (later La Légende des siècles), eventually announcing that it would form a companion work, along with La Fin de Satan. He had stopped work entirely by 1862, and while the result is fairly coherent, it is less complete than either of the other works, lacking even opening lines. (my emph.) (wikipedia)

  • 117A: Nails will do it, but not teeth (RUST) — this is a dirty lie. Just ask a saw.

That's all for today. See you next time.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

90 comments:

Conrad 6:15 AM  


Easy. An impressive construction feat but ... why?
* * _ _ _

Overwrites:
Misspelled the Egyptian sun god at 42D (ATuN vs. ATEN).
My 56D Iranians were arab before they were SHIA.
ta-ta before CIAO for "see ya" at 70D.

WOEs:
Basketball player MANU Ginobili at 2D.
The Victor Hugo poem DIEU (38D).
Never heard of SPRINT CARS, although the term makes sense as clued (39A).
At 63A I needed every cross for ISAL Nublar. "Jurassic Park" was 33 years ago.
Musician Steve AOKI at 79A.
Cookbook author EDNA Lewis at 113A.

At 8D, OLDER PIPES has some serious green paint energy.

Anonymous 6:15 AM  

This is a five-star writeup. His majesty hits all the points this anonymous writer was considering. Maybe he could have a questioned the double use of MAIL in the answers. Beautiful puzzle, mediocre solving experience.

Rick Sacra 6:23 AM  

Very unique 22x22 grid today with all those blocks, and only 10s and 4s! Amazing. And I thought the puzzle was remarkably non-gunky, considering. Liked it more than @OFL did.... CREAMPUFFS and REDUCEDFAT make a great pairing, no? ABUDHABIAN definitely took me a while to see! My final long answer to fill in was "ROADMARKER" for reflective post... HA! I was lookiing for some kind of blog post that was, you know, introspective!. I really enjoyed this, Kathryn, **** from me for innovation : )

Lewis 6:25 AM  

Well, my jaw actually dropped when I first saw this grid. It was kind of a combination smile and jawdrop. This grid is a piece of beauty!

I mean look at it! Ever seen anything like it? No, you haven’t.

And it’s wonderfully quirky. Even with an extra column and row, it has 12 fewer words than the usual Sunday. And the one that really gets me is that the usual Sunday has 74 black squares and this one has 132!

Oh, you rebel, Kathryn, breaking conventions left and right, but finding a theme to justify it. Hah! Only words of two lengths! And making those lengths 10-4, to tie them into National Truckers Day, which falls on this Sunday.

So, let’s see. You’ve got chutzpah, Kathryn, and you’ve got amazing grid-building skill, and this is your NYT debut. Wow is all I can say, and I can’t imagine what you might follow this up with – but I want to see it! Thank you!

Anonymous 6:42 AM  

Steve Aoki is actually Rocky Aoki’s son!

Anonymous 6:44 AM  

Less fun in the “son”: three biblical son clues :/

Anonymous 6:54 AM  

Awesome write-up!!! The puzzle gave me some trouble in the NE because I had ADDISABBABAN before ABUDHABIAN at 13 down, LSAT before MCAT at 25 down and BETH before BESS at 45 across. Didn’t love the puzzle but didn’t hate it either.

Anonymous 6:56 AM  

Slog with no joy

Son Volt 7:11 AM  

The empty grid is strikingly attractive - four mirror planes centered by that sturdy cross. It all comes crashing down after that - I count 96 fours. Rex summarizes the solving issues nicely.

Mama Hated Diesels

Most of the fill was early week level fare - loaded into a Sunday sized grid. I’m not sure what TRUCKER DAY is.

TRUCK Stop Girl

Liked LAKE ITASKA, NUDE SCENES and SIDE GLANCE. Is it TEE or T? Not sure the third person form works for RUNS SCARED.

Big Joe and Phantom 309

Built for the builder no doubt - BLEH is apt.

Got my chips cashed in

Rick 7:17 AM  

DNF due to FICO crossing ARCO. No idea of either, had to guess a few consonants before landing on C.

Mark N 7:17 AM  

I’m a sucker for unusual grids, so I did the puzzle. It was over quickly.

Anonymous 7:18 AM  

Funny to see your comment about the phantom “Morton’s” in your mind. It reminds me of a related phenomenon. I’ve noticed that some people in my life (usually older people, so sorry, Rex), assume that establishments and brands are possessive in their titles. For example, if a restaurant is called “Sumac” or “Mondo” they’ll call it “Sumac’s” or “Mondo’s.” My guess is that most restaurants from their youth were named possessively after the owner so it’s a habit, especially if the word is unfamiliar to them so they assume it’s a name. Not saying that’s what happening with you (Morton is clearly a name so it makes more sense to add the ‘s) but it was a fun linguistic quirk that your comment reminded me of.

Matthew B 7:20 AM  

As soon as I saw the grid, I said to my wife that Parker is going to hate this. Bingo. I love non-traditional grids and, boy, was this non-traditional. Fast and fun. There were remarkably few crosswordese 4s and I, for one, extend enigmatologic license in crosswords. Parsing clues to get a "gotcha" moment is not for me. On the other hand, turtle dove is a two-word type of dove. And the theme brought back memories of the TV show Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford barking "10-4" as he was getting into his patrol car. He made over $2 million from the show in the early 1950s. Not bad .

RooMonster 7:33 AM  

Hey All !
Pretty cool grid. Only 10's and 4's. Who'da thunk? The grid ends up as a 22x22, as every answer is an even number. More puz for your dollars! The one downside to this trick is the Blocker count, 132 of them! Yee-haw! Normally, 78 is max on a 21x21, so 22x22 would be max of roughly 90-ish?Maybe?

Anyway, I liked this concept, and this puzzle! So there! Wondering how many times the 4's were changed to get better fill. As in, how many times Kathryn looked at a section, and said, "If I change this to that, the fill will be much cleaner." I do that on my (never been accepted) puzs before I send then in. There always seems to be better fill after you haven't looked at your puz in a couple days.

LOLed at Rex's "every kind of symmetry imaginable". You can even put a mirror to it, and it'll have backward symmetry. Har.

Pretty cool puz. Happy TRUCKER Day!
That's a big 10-4.

Hope y'all have a great Sunday!

Six F's - To sum up in a 4 letter word, NICE!
RooMonster
DarrinV

Anonymous 7:33 AM  

I opened the puzzle and my heart just sank. I feared it would be an unpleasant solve and verily it came to pass, for all the reasons Rex said. Once again, NYTXW please stop running puzzles that are technically difficult to build but boring to solve. Also: Why would you use the obscure Springsteen’s song “She’s the One” when you could use the World Party song if the same name, which was a big hit and achingly beautiful as well? Two stars is generous for this one.

Liveprof 8:01 AM  

Resident of a Mideast capital: ABUDHABIAN.
Fred Flintstone: YabbaDabbaDoobian

Greek god on Olympus, to the French: Mountain DIEU.

SIDE GLANCE crossing NUDE SCENES. Makes sense. Can't just stand there and gawk.

Jagger, McCartney, and Simon: OLDERPIPES

My trans friend is a GYNO more.

Me, back at the hotel, after nephew Allen's bar-mitzvah, changing from my SUITTOATEE shirt. Much more comfortable. Mazel Tov, Allen! We're all very proud of you.

******
I thought the 10-4 feature was neat. Enjoyed seeing one of the few bodies of water in the hemisphere that Trump hasn't renamed (LAKE ITASCA), and loved the clue for MATE (other sock). Also, who, among us elderly folk, doesn't recall the great FISK homerun? He played 350 more games for Chicago and hit 52 more taters for them, but is wearing a B on his Hall of Fame cap.

mmorgan 8:02 AM  

Gotta tip your hat for the concept of the construction and the grid… although the execution itself was, um strained. At one point I wondered if the grid would be in the shape of Sputnik, though I don’t think I know what Sputnik looked like. At least this ran on 10/4. Enjoy your day, truckers… and five stars to Rex’s write-up. (I’m sure he knows this, but “epoch” is a play on “epic” so I’m cool with it as the clue for END OF AN ERA).

Anonymous 8:07 AM  

I took one look at the grid, saw that it consisted of about 18 4x4 mini-puzzles, and decided to go do something else.

Andy Freude 8:13 AM  

Architectural achievement: 5 stars. Solving experience: 1/2 star, for all the reasons Rex so eloquently enumerates. Silver lining: that interesting article about men who follow TRADwife content. Thanks for that, Rex!

EasyEd 8:17 AM  

You’d think with all the fame of the Mississippi River all of us would know the source—unfortunately I could not make it unanimous! A visually compelling puzzle completed within hard guidelines, so quite the construction effort. I didn’t find it as easy as Rex and others, but pecking here and pecking there, worked my way through it, except for two entries: the aforesaid LAKEITASCA, and DATINGAPPS, which I should have gotten from the use of “pair” in the clue.

Anonymous 8:22 AM  

I kind of agree. It was a cool concept but the answers seemed a little reach-y to me.

Anonymous 8:39 AM  

Well played, sir. A number of times!

Anonymous 8:41 AM  

Extremely difficult to come near completion. Enjoyed the challenge but clearly one for the experts. A tad over my head and congrats to those who finished w just a very few errors.

kitshef 8:44 AM  

Like most of you, I've been aching for more four-letter answers in my crosswords.

I don't often solve in the NYT app. Of the sixty Sundays I have done so, this came in as the second-fastest ever, despite having the baseball on during the solve.

Anonymous 8:49 AM  

The puzzle sure was different today. I liked it even though I found it harder than Rex did.🎈🎈🎊🎊

Anonymous 9:03 AM  

Surprised you didn't mention 'run scared'. Guy used a quote of yours to put it down on the nyt chat! (And, not in a baddish way).

Anonymous 9:04 AM  

Agree with 95% of Rex’s take, especially the extremely eye roll-inducing OLDERPIPES…but I’ve gotta say, I really liked DIFFERENCE. Ignoring the “theme” aspect, IMO that was a great clue, and it didn’t strike me as the least bit stretchy.

Anonymous 9:07 AM  

I’m just here to say thanks to Rex for including the Giorgio Moroder tune! One of my personal obscure favorites. Not everyone’s style, understood!

JHC 9:08 AM  

IDK, I have a soft spot for fake "holidays" based on punny and/or pop culture references to the date. Pi Day (3.14), Star Wars Day (May the Fourth be with you), Earth Wind & Fire Day (the 21st night of September)... even Hello Again Day (IYKYK). I happily accept Truckers Day in their company.

egsforbreakfast 9:12 AM  

My family all says Costco's in honor of my mother-in-law who actually did call it that. I like it so much that I also now say Home Depot's.

Anonymous 9:26 AM  

Obscure is in the eyes of the beholder. Or in this case, solver. Still humming Springsteen's "She's the One" after doing this puzzle. Never heard of World Party. But I look forward to listening now.

egsforbreakfast 9:35 AM  

I've been thinking a lot lately about my PASTASALAD, a mischievous but loveable lad, I believe.

On a recent cruise stop I asked the entertainment director whether I'd have a groovier time on a shore excursion or just hangin' on the ship. She said, "ABOARDSHIP and ashore isn't."

Every time I go to dinner at my friend Neal's place he makes a Vietnamese dish with a human body part in it. A foot, a leg...whatever. Last time I was there I looked in the pot and thought I might have seen an elbow, so I asked "What's in the PHONEALARM?"

Why you not plug in phone? ADAPTORDIE and new one not arrive from Amazon's.

Well, at least we get a break today from the commenters who habitually kvetch about the number of 3s in the grid. And although I found this to be a bit of a slog (though a quick one), I admire the grid architecture gimmick so much that I would give it 3.5 stars. Thanks and congrats, Kathryn Bale.

Anonymous 9:39 AM  

Yes! 10/4 IS Broderick Crawford Day!

David Eisner 9:41 AM  

It turns out that 90° rotational symmetry plus one horizontal or vertical mirror symmetry implies all the others. Two 90° rotations give you 180° rotational symmetry. A vertical flip plus one 90° rotation gives you one diagonal symmetry, and a vertical flip followed by three 90° rotations gives you the other diagonal symmetry (to use the vertical mirror symmetry example).


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihedral_group_of_order_8


Hats off to the truckers. I remember my dad cursing out big rigs on family road trips, while I was thinking (eventually) that's how all our food gets to the store!

Ken Freeland 9:43 AM  

LMTR, which is apparently the dissenting view this week. The earlier commenter's summary that it was "non-gunky" or low gunk is the main reason...no naticks. Pretty sure Gary's Gunk Gage will approach an all-time low today.
10-4 is Truckers 'Day? Who knew? But I am so glad someone thought to make it so... a numerological pun of this magnitude would be a terrible thing to waste!

Anonymous 9:50 AM  

Spot on

Dr Random 9:51 AM  

A full Sunday-sized grid is a lot of real estate to spend on only 10- and 4-letter words. In my opinion, the good Sundays are the ones that really take advantage of the space with a theme that has long answers and high density that needs the larger grid.

Anonymous 10:02 AM  

Disagree with the naysayers including OFL. Gorgeous construction, but also well built puzzle. Several of the clues (e.g., for Road marker and Post Office Post) were Lewis’ COTW worthy. And for Rex to say “That is not how you do a revealer!” seems really out of character. I did not know there were rules for how a constructor does a revealer. Finally, as a debut puzzle this shows remarkable skill and originality.

Lynn 10:10 AM  

I enjoyed it. The only problem for me is there are no 5 letter words from which to choose my Wordle starter.

Jnlzbth 10:14 AM  

I'm afraid I agree with Rex's write-up on this one--easy and dull, not much to it. Also, many would argue that cream puffs and profiteroles are not the same: Cream puffs are filled with sweetened whipped cream, and profiteroles are usually filled with pastry cream or ice cream.

PEAL crossing ATEN and ARCO crossing FICO were the last entries I filled in. Just couldn't think of PEAL for Ring for quite a while, for some reason.

Anonymous 10:18 AM  

Iranians are Persian, not arab

Anonymous 10:19 AM  

Iranians are Persian, not Arab.

SouthsideJohnny 10:31 AM  

Does anyone really appreciate the fact that there are only 4 and 10 letter answers ? The constructor went through all of the time and effort to construct a grid with those constraints, and Shortz is enamored of it enough to publish it, but I don’t get the “why”. It doesn’t seem like much of an honor. It seems to me that if someone’s birthday were August 5th and someone constructed a puzzle with only 5 and 8 letter answers in their honor, it would be accompanied by a head scratch, a shoulder shrug, a quick “thanks, that was nice of you”, and that’s about it.

There is plenty to choose from on the dreck front today, so we’ll just fire up a quick top three - #1 has got to be “Egyptian god of the sun disk”, which I love. Definitely nothing “popular” in that, so we will go with one in the obscure column. We’ll give #2 to a lake named ITASCA. TIL that it is the source of the Mississippi River ! It doesn’t just “feed” Old Muddy - it’s the actual source. Good stuff. And for #3, today we learned that the Cap’n’s actual name is Horatio Magellan - I’m definitely going to tuck that one away in case it comes up during Trivia Night this week.

Carola 10:42 AM  

@Rich Sacra - until I read your comment, I thought I'd learned a new term for a particularly thoughtful "life lessons" sort of blog post - and then it turns out that the reflective post is actually one of those posts with reflectors on a highway! Thank you!

Anonymous 10:57 AM  

When TRAD fell into place I couldn’t believe the constructor would make that choice. Then seeing it cross ADAPTORDIE I knew Rex would have something to say about it. Glad he didn’t disappoint.

Tom T 11:02 AM  

TIL that in FICO, the C does not stand for Credit. I look forward to a future puzzle with a clue along the lines of "Organization that never gives extra credit." Answer: Fair Isaac.
As for the puzzle, hey, it's one out of 365 puzzles for the year. I'm willing to pardon its flaws in appreciation for its visually striking grid and admittedly bizarre theme. As Rex occasionally says, "Go large or go home!"
I was bugged by two answers containing the word MAIL crossing each other. "Hey, editors, wake up or go home!"

jb129 11:34 AM  

A pretty easy & fast Sunday (except for 13D ABUDHABIAN). Don't think I've ever solved a Sunday in 15 minutes with no typos :).
Congrats on your debut, Kathryn :)

Teedmn 11:37 AM  

I had to finish this puzzle to find out what "day" we were celebrating. The ten-four gave it away when I finally had enough crosses at 110A. I have two friends whose birthday is today, neither of whom fit into 110A.

I wanted "no elevator" as the brownstone drawback. OLDER PIPES was held up by my choice of bird from the "12 Days of Christmas". I was on a lake earlier this week with 17 swans (someone must have lost their MATE) :-(. The doves in the song were turtledoves so I had written them off as too big for 52A. And swan worked with the cross of ROam which I had rather than the ROVE kealoa.

"What gets a lot of viral views?" = MICROSCOPE, funny.

Thanks, Kathryn Bale!

Mike 11:41 AM  

Beautiful grid to look at from afar, and that's the only nice thing I can say about it. Some of the clunkiest fill I can EVER remember, not enough theme answers, very little challenge, and why did we even need a puzzle devoted to a nonsense "holiday"?

Mike 11:41 AM  

Couldn't agree with your ratings more.

Mike 11:45 AM  

A+ comment for a D+ puzzle.

Anonymous 11:47 AM  

'this puzzle', back door, put the pedal to the metal and make it roar.

Liveprof 11:58 AM  

Recipes?

jae 12:01 PM  

Yes, easy. I’ve never heard of TRUCKER DAY but this was a pretty smooth solve for me.

Impressive feat of construction, liked it slightly more than @Rex did.

Megafrim 12:08 PM  

I suppose it's an accomplishment to create a puzzle that's so easy yet so unpleasant to solve.

thefogman 12:09 PM  

I usually agree with Rex on his ratings and difficulty level. Not this time. I think this one merits four stars and is on the challenging side - for a Sunday.

Anonymous 12:14 PM  

As a restoration contractor, I'm gonna keep this'un handy just in case I run across a square room that needs a tile floor!

Anonymous 12:26 PM  

Right! And thanks for letting me know someone else does this too!

Rick Sacra 12:28 PM  

Thanks for pointing out that there are ZERO threes!!!! It's hard to make a puzzle with no 3s! Another point in favor. I agree with your rating : )

puzzlehoarder 12:28 PM  

I didn't know there was a day dedicated to truckers but it stands to reason that it's today. That being said in the words of the truckers themselves " This here's a rubber duck. " After yesterday's nice hot shower of a solve we get hit with an ice cold bucket of four letter fill. Now it's back to the SB to towel off.

Anonymous 12:32 PM  

The revealer is okay, the clue itself is a dead give away, could've alluded to the 10/4 letter count and left us to suss it out!

Mere Mortal in MI 12:35 PM  

Could agree more . . . And you didn’t even mention the comment about ‘rusty teeth’!

Anonymous 1:11 PM  

Teed-
If you have the dough, I highly recomment indtalling an elevator in your brownstone. Take a look at an outfit called Brownstoner. They di nice work.

Jacke 1:32 PM  

DIEU looks like an instance of the growing scourge of Wikipeditis: a constructor looking for a clue types the word into Wikipedia and there, yes, the first result is Victor Hugo's DIEU. In that sense, it is notable! Because the constructor doesn't actually know anything about the subject, they end up picking something inapt or cluing it poorly. This seems to happen regularly. Random searching is not a replacement for genuine general knowledge! Or indeed real research. Same thing happens when training RAs…

Anonymous 1:36 PM  

i liked it just fine. and an accessible puzzle for noobs

Yat 1:38 PM  

Spelling out MORTONSALT gave me pause. I think the confusion comes from the S at the beginning of SALT eliding into MORTON. At least, that’s the thought I had as I was working the puzzle.

okanaganer 1:42 PM  

Oof, agree with everything Rex said. Unusual and unique, but boy what a slog. And when I realized 8 down was going to be OLDER PIPES I just shook my head. That has to be the clunkiest answer of the decade so far.

A few Unknown Names: MANU, MORTON, AOKI, ITASCA, EDNA. Could have been worse.

But man oh man, OLDER PIPES????

Yat 1:44 PM  

Thanks for the Pudge clip! I was living in Boston in 1975 and it was a spectacular night for Fisk and the Red Sox. True, he played longer for the White Sox, but that home run alone is enough to put a B on his Cooperstown cap.

burtonkd 1:54 PM  

I couldn't get my mom to stop saying Lutece's for the NYC French restaurant

Anonymous 1:56 PM  

If you’re humming something with a Bo Didley beat I suspect World Party won’t move you

burtonkd 2:03 PM  

I have to stand up for the use of OLDERPIPES. Living in a prewar coop, they are a continual source of discussion, leaks, and bursts. "Hey, we have older pipes, whaddayagonna do?"

Why on earth does MORTONSALT have that slogan? "When it rains, it pours"???
What does that have to do with salt? Sure, you pour salt from that little spout, but just when it rains? Girl with the umbrella in the driving rain looks nice, but also makes no sense. Feel free to illuminate me on this...

Anonymous 2:07 PM  

Constructors and/or editors reeeeally love their duplicate clues, I guess.

Anonymous 2:15 PM  

I once saw a clue in a NYT cryptic that re-parsed PASTA SALAD into PAST AS A LAD. Brilliant.

Making a "themeless three-less", as I like to call it, is undoubtedly very hard. This grid is even more constrained that that and requires oodles of black squares as well as a sizable amount of glue like FICO x ARCO, BLEH, TRAD...

OLDER PIPES? The paint is always greener on the other side.

Anonymous 3:04 PM  

BLEH!

pabloinnh 3:09 PM  

Late again due to singing duties. I'd stop doing that if I didn't like it so much.

I think this felt so segmented because it was. Very impressive construction but I prefer a little more flow, thank you very much. Only really major hold up was STREETRODS before SPRINTCARS. I read too much Henry Gregor Felson as a high schooler.

Nice shout out to Carlton FISK from OFL. He's probably NH's most famous athlete. My brother-in-law is a PE teacher and had some Fisk kids in his classes, where they were, guess what, the best athletes.

I think @JHC got all the dates which are now famous for being dates except one new, one which is 9/25, in honor of Dolly Parton.

OK Sunday, would have gone a lot faster if The Patriots were not making their game worth watching.

Anonymous 3:11 PM  

Steve Aoki is in fact Rocky Aoki’s son!

Ukulele Ike 3:21 PM  

Today is Buster Keaton’s 131st birthday. We could have had answers like STEAMBOAT BILL JUNIOR and THE BALLOONATIC, fer chrissake.

Burtonkd: You’re lucky not to lie in a humid climate. In NYC I’m forever banging the salt shaker on the tabletop to loosen up the caked salt.

Andy Freude 3:27 PM  

My mom used to shop at K-Mart’s and Walmart’s.

ChrisS 3:35 PM  

Salt generally clumps up and won't pour when it is very humid. Morton added a chemical to the salt so it will come out of the shaker even during a rainstorm.

Les S. More 3:43 PM  

I know people love symmetry in their puzzles, but I don’t care too much about it. I don’t care too much about it in real life, either. I find asymmetry much more interesting and try, in my painting, to “recognize” symmetry as a basic concept, but subvert it. Off-balance is always more fun. So, when I first faced this grid, I was put off by it; there’s a stodginess to that kind of imagery. “Oh boy”, I thought, I’m about to enter into a lifeless mechanical creation, as striking as it is”. I just knew it wouldn’t be kind to its words.

I’m impressed by the constructor’s ingenuity Or was it the computer’s? But it was a cold form of admiration. (Can computers actually exhibit ingenuity?)

There was some good stuff: NUDE SCENES, RUNS SCARED, DIFFERENCE, and LAKE ITASCA, which I didn’t know, looked up, checked the maps, and learned something.*

A lot of meh stuff: REDUCED FAT, PHONE ALARM, MAIL SORTER, and MORTON SALT. And I’m just looking at the 10s..

OLDER PIPES was pretty bad.

Nice try Kathryn Bale, but to get me past the architectural bludgeoning of the grid design, I needed a bit more sparkle in the answers.

*Geography f**k up on my part. I have fished more than a few miles of the Missouri River in Montana, where it definitely runs west to east and I just have always assumed it continued on that trajectory and that it would meet the Mississippi somewhere in a northern state like Minnesota and actually “become” the Mississippi. (It’s no small stream, the Missouri.) I know, I should have consulted a map much earlier and learned that when the Missouri hits North Dakota it turns south east, headed for St. Louis. So that was fun to learn.

Jarrett M 3:46 PM  

As I was finishing, I figured Rex would love the grid and its construction but hate the lack of a real theme. Then I came here, and sure enough. But then he did point out three answers related to 10/4: UNDERSTOOD, DIFFERENCE and SPUTNIK ONE. CB code, arithmetic and date. He thought DIFFERENCE was a stretch. I disagree. Three completely different uses of 10/4. Very nice.

Before I even started, I liked the grid so much that I showed it to my wife. And now, the more I think about the theme and construction, the more I like the puzzle.

I’ve pretty much talked myself into loving it!

Les S. More 3:49 PM  

I forgot to mention how much I hated FICO.

Anonymous 3:51 PM  

O1 down - why is ESTD for APPROX? Isn’t it short for “Established” as in reference to the date of a building?

Masked and Anonymous 4:19 PM  

Strikinly different! ...
a) 22x22 SunPuzgrid. More for yer moneybucks.
b) 132 black blocks, 128 words. U don't see more blocks than words, too often in this biz. About blew out the black ink on my printer cartridge, tho.
c) Loads of puzgrid symmetries to choose from.
d) Lotsa 10-4 puztheme variations, includin the date the puz came out on.
e) No staff weeject pick is possible. No 3-letter answers! Might also be a first.

sooo ... real, real different. M&A likes different. [M&A *is* different, friends would probably remark.]

some fave stuff: PHONEALARM clue. ABOARDSHIP under LAKEITHACA. IHOPESOTOO. RUNSSCARED. DIFFERENCE themer's clue. No-no NUDESCENES. MICROSCOPE clue.

Thanx for the great unusualness in a grid of darkness, Ms. Bale darlin. And congratz on an epically weird debut. A veritable Wheel of ForTen of weirdness.
And Happy TRUCKERDAY, y'all! Keep on truckin, and constructin, Ms. Bale darlin.

Masked & Anonymo10Us

p.s.
Illustrated Runt puzzle with cartoons by M&A:
**gruntz**

M&A

Anonymous 4:22 PM  

1. When it rains, the relative humidity is typically at least 90% (at ground level).

2. Untreated salt starts to absorb water when relative humidity is in the mid-to-high 70s (%).

3. This leads to salt clumping, and thus not pouring from a large container (nor shaking from a shaker).

4. Salt can be treated with an anti-caking agent to prevent it from clumping, thus allowing it to pour freely, even during periods when it's raining and the relative humidity is high.

5. Although common today among other brands, Morton was the first major salt distributor to add anti-caking agents, so the fact that their salt would pour instead of clumping during high-humidity periods was a major selling point.

6. To drive this point home, the slogan "When it rains it pours" with the first "it" referring to rain, but the second "it" referring to Morton salt was devised. The phrase is also a play on the famous phrase "When it rains it pours" (in which both "its" refer to rain).

Greater Fall River Committee for Peace & Justice 4:23 PM  

I bought a pound of kosher salt once, to pickle with. After a few humid months I had to use a chisel to get any salt out of the bag. I assume Morton adds some chemical so the grains don't stick together in damp weather.

It wasn't that hard a puzzle, but is the messiest looking finished puzzle in a long time. I kept making wild guesses at 4-letter words that could have been any number of things. cain abel SETH. isis ATEN. aCES ICES. I always tried the wrong one first and had to scribble over it. The blank puzzle may have been a thing of beauty but the finished one is ugly.

Anonymous 4:37 PM  

Just as AA can stand for Alcoholics Anonymous but also for American Airlines, ESTD can be short for either ESTablisheD or ESTimateD.

Brian Tung 4:43 PM  

Rather on the easier side today, at 57 percent of my average. (Which is getting closer to a 10-minute milestone, so I'm pretty excited!)

Is TOE THE LINE supposed to pair with TO THE DEATH in some way? Also, LOL Rex's "NOIR: Now with 50% More Femmes Fatales!"

SISI was today's dupe of a smaller puzzle (but from the past couple of days, I think). I've never heard of ROAD MARKER as a "reflective post"? As in blog post?

"Profiteroles" was today's example of when I see a clue, and I know I know what it is, but it's escaping me for some reason. I'm certain I had learned at some point that they were CREAM PUFFS, but I could not call that to mind without some crosses.

Errors: SWAN for DOVE (as per Rex). AM_N for ATEN (I knew the middle vowel was a problem, but I forgot about the T). BETS, briefly, for BESS. Pretty darned clean for me, especially on a short time. But it was definitely on the easier side.

Anonymous 4:59 PM  

Who cares? Seriously, do you really believe this adds anyrhing anything at all, to the proceedings?

ac 6:10 PM  

made it a practice to only look at comments after I finish puzzle - noticed right away it was 4 letter and 10 letter words seemed obvious enough - agree it wasn't maybe the greatest fill all the same it payed homage to truckers who bring us all the things we need every day.

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP