Vertical jumping ability, in basketball lingo / MON 8-10-26 / Attracted to people of any gender, for short / How to tackle big writing projects, per a seminal Anne Lamott book / Title of a 1990s ABC sitcom and a 1990s New Kids on the Block hit / "___ to Go!," 2024 Chappell Roan hit sometimes compared to the Village People's "Y.M.C.A."

Monday, August 10, 2026

Constructor: Nate Cardin

Relative difficulty: Easy (solved Downs-only)

THEME: FOUR-BY-FOUR (55A: *Many an off-road vehicle ... or a literal description of the answer to each asterisked clue (including this one!)) — blank-BY-blank phrases where each "blank" is "four" letters long:

Theme answers:
  • STEP BY STEP (18A: *Title of a 1990s ABC sitcom and a 1990s New Kids on the Block hit)
  • PLAY BY PLAY (28A: *Detailed, real-time description of events)
  • BIRD BY BIRD (44A: *How to tackle big writing projects, per a seminal Anne Lamott book)
  • SIDE BY SIDE (4D: *Next to each other, like many washers and dryers)
  • CASE BY CASE (33D: *Considered individually)
Word of the Day: LAGUNA Beach: The Real Orange County (29D: "___ Beach: The Real Orange County" (MTV reality show of the mid-aughts)) —
Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County
(or simply Laguna Beach) is an American reality television series that originally aired on MTV from September 28, 2004, until November 15, 2006. The series aired for three seasons and was primarily focused on the personal lives of several students attending Laguna Beach High School. Its premise was originated with Liz Gateley, while Tony DiSanto served as the executive producer. [...] Created by Liz Gateley in 2004, Laguna Beach was originally planned to document the on-campus lives of a group of students as they completed their secondary education at Laguna Beach High School. However, after an incident during the halftime show of Super Bowl XXXVIII briefly exposed the breast of performer Janet Jackson, the school board questioned if the same network that produced the halftime show held the care necessary to operate in an academic setting. Subsequently, their contract was ended, effectively jeopardizing the feasibility of the series' concept. [...] A 2010 study[10] published in the journal Economics Letters demonstrated that Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County caused an increase in crime in the Laguna Beach area. While Orange County Visitor and Convention Bureau president Charles Ahlers argued that the show had boosted the local economy and made Laguna Beach a desirable travel destination, several residents of Laguna Beach were opposed to the show, claiming it was more focused on teen drama and hedonistic behavior than the art and culture of the town. During filming days, traffic jams and tourists swarming local stores for a glimpse of the cast were frequent occasions. // Laguna Beach was often criticized for appearing to fabricate much of its storyline. In one instance, Cavallari claimed that producers exploited Colletti and Conrad's friendship to exaggerate the love triangle highlighted during the first season. She also alleged that she was treated poorly by producers, which "forced [her] to be a bitch", but stated that her distaste for Conrad was not fabricated. (wikipedia)
• • •

Blank x blank x 6 ... kind of a snooze, conceptually, but there's a lot of it, so if portion size is your thing, today's your day! The one thing I did appreciate about the puzzle was how clean the fill was, for the most part. While the theme is out there going blah by blah by blah by blah by blah etc., the fill is offering some pretty colorful and sassy flourishes with stuff like SASHAY, PLUCKY, BUOYED, HAZARD, SUBTLY, BLURTS, PHOBIA, etc. Lots of solid six-letter stuff to keep things interesting while the Blah By Blah Bus drones along. And I'm not being entirely fair to the Bus. There are a few answers on that bus that are fairly strong in their own right. I think the real winner of the day is BIRD BY BIRD, a book I've never read, but one whose title I know well (as does anyone who has ever even entertained the idea of reading a book about how to write a book—it's been a standard for three decades+ now). The puzzle is trying really Really hard to exude a pop culture sophistication, which I half appreciate, though ... it's a lot. I could've done without the shitty reality show from a million years ago. The most nothing ephemera imaginable, surpassed completely in both its Realityness and its Orange County-ness by The Real Housewives of Orange County (and the whole Real Housewives franchise). Other forays into hyperpop include the clues on STEP BY STEP, HOT, RENEE, SASHAY, RYAN, ARGO, and DAME. The theme didn't do anything for me, but the solving experience wasn't dreary, at least, which I appreciate.

[You'll pardon me if I pass on the NKOTB song]

How many days has it been since a Star Wars reference? I couldn't tell you, as I haven't solved a NYTXW crossword puzzle in ten days. Ten blissful days of morning beach walks and evening beach walks and birds, birds, birds. Oh, and all the tacos and other Mexican food I could get my hands on. Oh, and family, right, family, very important. My parents have taken all (ALL) of us on an annual summer vacation nearly every year since 2004. This was probably the last one, as the kids' kids are all grown up and working, and therefore not reliable participants, and my dad and stepmom are slowing down. But it's been a really good run. They decided a long time ago to spend their money on making sure the family all got together for a week once a year and I tell you what, mission accomplished. I know my nieces and nephews a lot better as a result, and my daughter is closer to her cousins. It's nice. Anyway, I am jetlagged af rn, just trying hard to maintain what I *think* is my normal schedule in the hopes of getting fully back on east coast time by the time I start teaching again in ... oof, tick tock. Soon. Too soon.


Back to the puzzle. Difficulty ... not really. I had to wait a bit on PLUCKY and LAGUNA, just until I inferred the PLAY BY PLAY crossing, and I think I tried RICE CAKE at first when trying to infer 20A: Cereal often found with pretzels in a party snack mix (RICE CHEX). I can't really see where the puzzle could've presented any trouble for solves. I assume there are a lot of people out there who haven't heard of BIRD BY BIRD, but as I say, it's a very famous book in its field, and anyway, once you get one of the BIRDs from crosses, you know there's another BIRD coming. This makes all the themers extremely easy. Oh, and it's more than possible that many of you don't know the song "HOT To Go," despite its massiveness (24A: "___ to Go!," 2024 Chappell Roan hit sometimes compared to the Village People's "Y.M.C.A."). Weirdly, coincidentally, I was just having a conversation about this song, and Chappell Roan generally, with my nice Lexi last week while we waited (For An Eternity) for our entire family's food order to be prepared. Haggo's Organic Taco and Kitchen! It's good, but yikes, Thursdays in the summertime, apparently it gets slammed. Anyway, "HOT To Go" has a part where you spell out the title of the song with your arms, as has become tradition with "Y.M.C.A."— "H-O-T-T-Ooooo G-O! You can take me HOT to go!" 


Bullets:
  • 58D: Above-water sign of a shark (FIN) — didn't see any shark FINs in Encinitas, but we definitely saw some dolphin FINs. Or else they were porpoises, I dunno, but there were like a half dozen of them out there one morning. They joined the more usual assortment of wildlife, including gulls, pelicans, and Hudsonian Whimbrels —they are *&$%ing Everywhere on the beaches of southern California in August, scurrying around the sand on their stick legs, eating mystery things from the sand and shorewater with their skinny curved beaks, occasionally shrieking and flying off.
  • 25A: Attracted to people of any gender, for short (PAN) — I assume sandwich shops do PAN-INIs for Pride Month. If not, huge missed opportunity. What's on it? Anything, really.
  • 34A: Rodeo rope (LASSO) — I am here to tell you that Ted LASSO is extremely popular in-flight viewing, if the flights I just experienced are any indication. I must've half-watched the pilot on someone else's screen like ... twice. Maybe three times. Felt like a lot. Also popular, at least on the way out: The Devil Wears Prada II. Many people watching that as well. Full disclosure: one of those people was me. When in Rome etc.
  • 64A: Brooklyn basketballers ... and what they swish (NETS) — something about this clue feels like it was written by someone who has never watched a basketball game. "Let's go swish some nets, fellas!" I guess they "swish" NETS if they sink a shot without hitting the rim. So do their opponents. "Swish" is more sound than verb, is what I'm saying. You can swish a shot, but you don't really swish a net (at least not in parlance). 
  • 35A: Foggy mental state (HAZE) — this is what I have been experiencing all day, so I'm gonna go take a quick evening walk and then head to bed now. 
[Dad, post haircut]

[me, Penelope, Ella]

[Ella, Penelope]

[Went back to my freshman-year dorm, which is now literally rubble]

[We bought novelty t-shirts at a flea market. Mine was "OREO." Hers ... well, you can see]

[Me, every morning, so happy]

It's nice to be back. Thanks to Rafa, Eli, Mali, and Christopher for filling in for me while I was gone. Special thanks to Eli (and his wife, Melissa), who made time to come out and see The Third Man (1949) on the big screen with us at Vidiots in Los Angeles last week. Always good to see my xword friends irl. OK, that's it. See you next time.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

26 comments:

Bob Mills 6:13 AM  

Nice puzzle, just too easy because of the giveaway theme answers.

Lewis 6:19 AM  

My five favorite original clues from last week
(in order of appearance):

1. Temple services? (4)(8)
2. They're taken off for boudoir photos (4)(4)
3. Honey boo-boo? (3)(5)
4. Number of letters? (8)(4)
5. It's not exactly fast food (8)


HEAD MASSAGES
LENS CAPS
BEE STING
ALPHABET SONG
MOLASSES

Lewis 6:20 AM  

My favorite encore clues from last week:

[Make out, perhaps?] (3)
[Name of "the other reindeer" in a common Christmas mondegreen] (5)


TAG
OLIVE

JJK 6:32 AM  

Welcome back, Rex! This was a nice easy Monday (yes, a dull theme but that’s ok) but the best thing was reading about your lovely vacation and thanks for including pics. It’s wonderful that your parents get the whole fam together once a year; my husband and I try to do that too, with our three kids and their growing families (we’re up to 13 of us!) The sibs re-connect and all the little cousins get to know each other well and it really can’t be beat.

Anonymous 6:50 AM  

I wrote this another time recently: mini-midi-maxi are lengths, not sizes.

Anonymous 7:08 AM  

2:39 today - my fastest Monday by a solid 20 seconds. Could’ve been on the back of a Denny’s menu for all the resistance this one put up.

pabloinnh 7:10 AM  

Up early as it's eye-injection day and off we go. Puzz was easy and fun, no real no-knows except for BIRDBYGIRD. Guess I've never contemplated writing a book.

Welcome back to OFL. Hope everyone is OK in BC.

EasyEd 7:17 AM  

Enjoyed the fairy pics! Calming mood inducers. Re the puzzle, there were three things I didn’t know—CABO, BIRDBYBIRD, and LARGO. The crosses made them easy, except for some reason I struggled with ARGO, the easiest of them all. YKNOW is a cool visual distraction…

Son Volt 7:20 AM  

We’ve seen the same play plenty of times - it works but it’s not exactly earth shattering. It’s dense no doubt and I do like the two pair that intersect.

SIDE BY SIDE

I got halfway through BIRD BY BIRD years ago - talk about trying too hard. Take things one step at a time - profound. PLUCKY, PANINI, LAGUNA all top notch. The overall fill is decent - Rex highlights it nicely.

Pleasant enough Monday morning solve.

SO SAD

Anonymous 7:23 AM  

Typical fun Monday puzzle.(Never heard of Bird by Bird)🎈🎈🎊🎊

RooMonster 7:33 AM  

Hey All !
Welcome back, Rex! It'll take your mind and body some time to adjust those three hours. Hopefully you won't be asleep at your desk when you get back in the classroom!

You forgot the Revealer, FOUR BY FOUR, I'm chalking it up to jet lag. 😁

As you might know, I'm a fan of Lots-of-Theme, so this one fits the bill. I'm impressed that Nate managed to cram in 6 ___BY___ Themers. I'm extremely impressed that the resulting fill is dreck free! Very tough to get clean fill when a whole lot of answers cross or have to work with that much Theme. Great use of Blockers today, yet still only 38 of them.

Chalk this MonPuz up as one of the best of the year. Hopefully, this bodes well for the coming week.

Great puz, Nate. I enjoyed it PIECE BY PIECE. (Yes, that wasn't FOUR BY FOUR, YKNOW?)

Hope y'all have a great Monday!

Two F's
RooMonster
DarrinV

jberg 7:37 AM  

Well,it's Monday, so i guess a simple theme is all right. I'm not much of an ATV guy (as in, keep them out of the woods!) but I'm pretty sure it's spelled "4 X 4." But OK, it's a crossword so you need to spell out words.

The grid seemed more segmented than usual; even though the cluing was mostly easy, I kept getting to dead ends and having to start over in a new section. Is that what happens when you make things easy? I don't know from constructing, so maybe.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun with misconceptions. I missed the hyphen in "above-water sign of a shark," so I was looking for something from the Zodiac for a few nano-seconds there. And the Great Pyramid is, famously, in Giza, which I misremembered as Gaza, which was both infuriating to think about and too short to fit. Ah, EGYPT! Could also have been "Africa," "Earth," or "Milky Way." But only EGYPT fit.

The ARGO/LARGO crossing was fun. But the clue for LARGO, "It means slow (not big!) in music," is unfortunate, as the actual meaning of largo is "broad." As music teachers drum into their students, those markings (also allegro, vivace, andante, etc.) indicate mood more than tempo. So just leave out the parenthesis, and it's correct.

OK, I've met my quota of nerdy nit-picking for the day, so I'll be off.

Deniz Bevan 7:39 AM  

Welcome back! :-)

kitshef 7:52 AM  

It's a Monday, alright.. BIRD BY BIRD is new to me and sounds bizarre. We used to see themes like this in the 90s but I thought they were extinct. Not quite, it seems. I wish we got more of them - particularly on Monday-Tuesday.

SouthsideJohnny 7:54 AM  

Welcome back, big fella. You left us in good hands while you were gone.

My reaction to this puzzle was pretty much a photographic negative of OFL’s, as I actually thought the theme was a pretty good fit for a Monday (and it’s beginner-friendly). While on the flip side, they did lean a little too heavily on the pop culture for my tastes.

And btw, the NETS haven’t done much “swishing” in like 15 years. It’s been more like a bricklayer’s convention over there.

DAVinHOP 7:58 AM  

Happily adding to the Welcome Back, Rex chorus. And almost giddy that today marks a three-week streak for us solving Downs Only on Monday, and way below our time average.

Loved that, despite a rating "Below Sat" (under 3 stars) he was mostly positive, and deservedly so, in the write-up. Must have been a relaxing vacation. Wonderful family story.

Great marketing idea for PAN-INIs. "What's on it? Anything (you want)". Bravo!

We are down to re-watching the last episode of Season 3 of Ted Lasso, in anticipation of the airing of its new final (?) season. It's goofy fiction for sure, but the time was sure right (COVID; the Corrupt Orange Buffoon) to offer something to give hope that there really are good people in the world. (And not to be too pandering, but there are quite a few here.)

Anonymous 8:11 AM  

Not knowing the book title, I had WORD BY WORD initially, which A) made sense given the context, and B) gave the correct singular form of PANINO (matching sandwich, as clued) instead of PANINI (sandwiches).

Jnlzbth 8:23 AM  

I think this puzzle deserves more stars than Rex gave it. It's a fun start to the week, and the fill is indeed exceptionally clean. I'm sure many solvers noticed the very low number of proper nouns and the lack of junk,. Nice job and thank you, Nate Cardin!

mmorgan 8:38 AM  

Down only success! Welcome back, Rex.

Hugh 8:45 AM  

Like @Rex, I was impressed with the very high quality fill today. You don't often get this kind of top-tier stuff on a Monday, he already pointed them all out.
I liked the theme much better than he did. Kept me interested until the curtain fell and that is good stuff for a Monday. The revealer did it's job and the themers are solid phrases, not one is any kind of stretch. All hit the mark well.
I may have scratched my head a bit at YKNOW but I guess the informalness allows for that kind of spelling (I think of it as YaKNOW).
I like how HOT and PAN are SIDEBYSIDE 😊
Beautiful pics @Rex. We're about to head out for our family vacation on the Jersey shore, similarly the chance for extended family to spend some good time (kids, cousins, aunts, uncles and for the first time me as a grandfather!) but kids are all working and they are generally in and out at their convenience/availability. I figure we'll keep this going if we even get just a day with any of them!
Thanks for the very solid Monday, Nate! I ENJOYED it!
And now on to Hugh's Monday Haiku:

An ODE to AMOR
ISNT it SOSAD to LOSE
one's DAME, CUE crying.

Anonymous 9:07 AM  

Thanks for the whimbrel. I don’t bird the West enough to know for sure, but you’re dead right anout whimbrels being nearly ubiquitous on SoCal beaches. Here in tge East I almost always find them in the phragmite or salt hay of coastal ateas, but not nearly as often on the beach itself.
Either way, one of my faves. ( Though Rex, their legs aren’t especially thin for a shorebird. Stilts have thin legs.)

egsforbreakfast 9:37 AM  

We went to a new avant garde play where genders were fluid and everyone seemed to be into everyone. The critics PANned it.

My irrational fear of Vietnamese soups has been diagnosed as a PHOBIA. Personally, I'd prefer that my PHOBIA chowder.

Yesterday we were HULAED. Today we HULA. Tomorrow HU knows?

The most depressing row in the history of crosswords might be UGLI SOSAD SILT. I sure hope a uniclue from @Gary brightens it up.

No bit by bit solving today. Fast as snot even as a D.O. solve. But well constructed and fun. Thanks, Nate Cardin.

Liveprof 9:50 AM  

RP, your clan is challenging Seinfeld's dictum: There is no such thing as fun for the whole family.

*******
GEODE: Verses of praise for my refrigerator and several other major appliances.

SOSAD: Soap pad commercial.

BIRDBYBIRD: NBA great's autobiography.

Enjoyed a midday meal in Brooklyn: LAUNCHED.

(That last one is a stretch. I googled "Where is lunch pronounced launch?" and essentially got the response, "Nowhere, you idiot.")

Anonymous 9:59 AM  

Loved the pics and happy for the good times, BUT- panino is one of my favorite lunches. Panini are made at many food venues. I know. It just bothers me every time I see Panini misused

Anonymous 10:01 AM  

Coulda been clued as "porch post" but that woulda called for more nits to be picked plus it'd be 4" X 4"

Anonymous 10:10 AM  

Read the first sentence of today’s post.

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP