Happy-sounding advocacy grp. / WED 8-26-26 / Enhancing "blemish" (3x) / Teach, playfully (3x) / Nut in Sausalito cookies / Word that can precede cry or baby / Instrument associated with beans and salsa? / Capital city known as the "Jerusalem of the Balkans" / Modern lead-in to quit or bait / Pinocchio's tell
Wednesday, August 26, 2026
Constructor: John Kugelman and Lance Enfinger
Relative difficulty: Easy
![]() |
| [39A: Sci-fi pilot ___ Solo] |
Theme answers:
- BEAUTY MARK (17A: Enhancing "blemish" (3x)) (Beau, Ty, Mark)
- EDUMACATE (25A: Teach, playfully (3x)) (Ed, Uma, Cate)
- SALTED CARAMEL (35A: Sweet popcorn coating (4x)) (Sal, Ted, Cara, Mel)
- MACADAMIA (46A: Nut in Sausalito cookies (3x)) (Mac, Ada, Mia)
A beauty mark or beauty spot is a euphemism for a type of dark facial mark so named because such birthmarks are sometimes considered an attractive feature. Medically, such "beauty marks" are generally melanocytic nevus, more specifically the compound variant. Moles of this type may also be located elsewhere on the body, and may also be considered beauty marks if located on the face, shoulder, neck or breast. Artificial beauty marks have been fashionable in some periods.
• • •
This was weird, and today, weird is good. The theme answers were all very easy to get, but by no. 3 I started wondering what those little parenthetical bits at the end of the clues meant, so I stared at them and thought "... 3x what? ... 4x what?" And that's when I saw them, the names—well before the revealer. Actually, in the first set of names I saw, MEL appeared twice because I had the middle themer as MELTED CARAMEL. I was like "Two Mels, huh, interesting? Is that legal? Oh well, it's at least plausible, I guess. You get four people together, two of them might be named MEL. Not probable, but plausible." Eventually that answer came around to the much better SALTED CARAMEL, and I was back on track, but I had no idea how they were gonna land this thing. What kind of revealer could you possibly have for just a series of name strings? And the revealer we get—perfect. You can read it with the shocked and offended tone that the clue asks for, but you can also read it as the most literal and (to my mind, hilariously) lazy description of the theme. "What are those answers made up of?" "I dunno, just SOME PEOPLE." "Famous people?" "... not really." Obviously there are famous people who have these names (though I don't think I know anyone actually named MAC ... nope, I lied: MAC Davis. He was a country singer. Even had his own TV show. Here he is performing a gospel medley with ... special guests:
And yet it didn't take long for EDUMACATE to come to me, though that turn from the upper middle into the NE was probably the hardest bit for me, as I wasn't sure about EDUMACATE, blanked on the South American capital, didn't know that a [Housemother] was a MATRON (I thought those were just for prisons), and, as usual, could not come up with the "word that can precede" answer at 22D: Word that can precede cry or baby. Is a "WAR baby" one conceived during wartime? Or just a very bellicose baby? Anyway, I wanted FAR for a second, but couldn't rationalize "far baby." "What's a far baby?" "That baby over yonder!" Otherwise, the only other answer I tripped on in his puzzle was, ironically, related to my own teaching. [Units of verse]? Starting with "F"? I had STEAM instead of SWEAT at 51D: Result of a hot pursuit? at first, which meant my [Units of verse] ended -EM and so I was like "that's gotta be POEM ... doesn't it?" But that "F" would not budge. When I finally saw that STEAM was in fact SWEAT, I got FEET and had quite a "D'oh!" moment (speaking of Homerisms). I literally taught the meaning of poetic FEET on Monday, and will revisit the topic today. Sigh. SOME PEOPLE would forget their own head if it weren't attached to their body.
Bullets:
- 47D: da-DUM, da-DUM, da-DUM, da-DUM, for example (IAMBS) — unstressed/stressed, that is an iamb. IAMBS are metrical FEET. I tend to use actual words as examples ("today" "again" "above" "below"), but ominous da-DUMs will also do the trick
- 28D: What cards with circles, stars, plauses, squares and wavy lines test for, in brief (ESP) — these are called Zener cards. Spoiler alert: no one has ESP.
- 10D: Instrument associated with beans and salsa? (MARACA) — I wrote this in without much trouble but a few seconds afterwards, as I was like "wait, what? I know there might be dry beans inside a MARACA, but there can't be salsa in there. Salsa's ... wet. The beans won't rattle right!" You'll be glad to know it didn't take me too long to realize that the salsa in question was a dance style, not a condiment.
- 42A: Fred Flintstone's boss at the rock quarry (MRS. LATE) — she was always late. Drove Fred crazy, as he had to punch in and got in trouble if he wasn't on time.
[prehistoric surveillance culture]
- 7D: Happy-sounding advocacy grp. (GLAAD) — The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. Here's GLAAD president Sarah Kate Ellis, yesterday: “[Dolly Parton's] support for LGBTQ people spans decades, from the 1990s with her track ‘Family,’ where she expressed that all should be welcome regardless of religion or sexual orientation; to the powerful ballad ‘Travelin’ Thru,’ which Parton penned for the film TransAmerica and earned her an Oscar nomination; to her early support of marriage equality in 2009, well before its legalization. [...] Parton‘s warm spirit, kindheartedness and joie de vivre deeply resonated with the LGBTQ community, cementing her as a global queer icon whose art always held space for outsiders, no matter the risk. Parton‘s entire career was built on love and respect for all, and her unwavering allyship is a legacy that will last forever."
That's all for today. I'll leave you with Dolly ... at the OPRY (54D: Grand Ole ___) ... 1969 ... the year I was born ... just leaving people slack-jawed. R.I.P. to an irreplaceable force of goodness in the world
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:
- Pop Sensation (vintage paperbacks)



















14 comments:
Easy. Solved it without reading the theme clues. Okay, I did need the 25A clue to convince myself about EDUMACATE.
* * * _ _
One overwrite, I misremembered the 7D advocacy group as GLAdD, instead of GLAAD.
No WOEs.
I agree - a weird little theme but obviously well conceived and implemented. I like the revealer and SALTED CARAMEL right in the center.
Making Plans
The MR SLATE x SARAJEVO cross is epic. I liked OVERACTED, AVERSE and SIESTA. Overall we get good fill here with some sneaky cluing - ATM FEE sticks out. Limited trivia and glue.
Jeannie’s Afraid of the Dark
Enjoyable Wednesday morning solve.
Tomorrow Is Forever
I think you mean Mr. Slate?
Uhhhh….mrs late?? Mr slate.
My experience was similar to Rex's. I solved the puzzle only after changing "melted caramel" to SALTEDCARAMEL, and without ever understanding the theme during the solve. But it made sense in the end. I agree with Rex's 3-1/2 star rating.
If it makes you feel any better, I had the same reaction to the clue for MARACA.
One of my favorite scenes in Ghostbusters is Peter testing the pretty woman for ESP where she gets every answer wrong.
R.I.P. Dolly. A true American hero.
Nunca he...
I think all these people are known for a series of erotic films in the 70s, right?
I had MOPEY moments as a teen I suppose. I want to believe it was an annoying flood of hormones coupled with a highly undeveloped brain and the existence of adults assuming control over me. I fear the same is true for me today.
❤️ EDUMACATE ❤️ Some days on this blog we get to see the result of edumacated folks bein' such dern smartypants.
To scrunchie: I scrunchie, we scrunchie, they scrunchie, you will have been scrunchied while scrunchiing.
I sent my Bailey over the rainbow bridge to bark at Dolly Parton yesterday. She was almost 17. Let all dogs be jumpy today.
Gunkometer--
People: 7
Places: 4
Products: 5
Partials: 3
Foreignisms: 1
--
Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 20 of 76 (26%)
Funny Factor: 5 😄
🔥 Ooh-la-la! 🔥 ANAL. PEW.
Uniclues:
1 What the "tough on crime" wonks plan to do.
2 Where cheerleaders come from.
3 Peacenik quality.
4 Why the pivotal scene in The Garden of Eden movie needed to be reshot.
5 Girl fight!
1 REPO SOME PEOPLE
2 TRYOUT ADS
3 WAR AVERSE
4 APPLE OVER ACTED (~)
5 PONYTAIL MELEE
My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Sassy songs from a fair haired youth. BLONDE IMP AIRS.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Humor man, even OFL has that sense
As soon as I laughed as Mrs Late I wondered how long before someone commented that it was an error. Not long it turned out.
The Spice Girls-a quintet-Had two people named Mel.
Thank you for a beautiful tribute to one of the most beautiful souls to ever grace this earth. RIP Miss Dolly
There we go!
Beautiful write-up today. Thanks for the gift…and the humor as well. Much needed.
First, I smiled at [Wait for it!], for TIP.
Then, I laughed at the super-silly EDUMACATE.
That primed me for one of the best solving moments of the year, when, after unsuccessfully trying hard to crack the theme, I finally unveiled the revealer, then saw the theme answers with new eyes. Not only did I get gotten good, but I was amazed -- amazed! -- as I saw the names in the answers.
That was a huge wow, followed by a how-did-they-think-of-this, followed by a how-did they find these answers-at-all-not-to-mention-have-them-fit-symmetry‽‽‽
That’s a big bang for my buck today. Chuckles, plus sweet riddle-cracking effort, plus jaw-dropping amazement, brought me spontaneously to wild inner applause. This was terrific, John and Lance – thank you!
Post a Comment