Epitomes of slowness / TUES 8-25-26 / Something told with two hands? / Moon believed to have a subsurface ocean / Free-spirited style, informally
Tuesday, August 25, 2026
Hello, everyone! It’s Clare for the last Tuesday in August! Hope everyone has been staying cool (and dry, at least, on the East Coast, where it’s been raining around 4 p.m. most days). My big news is that I got to see BTS when they came to Baltimore, and my life got infinitely better — although my sister and I lost our voices completely. I’m now off to Los Angeles this weekend for Olivia Rodrigo’s Daisy Chain Fields music festival, which should be a ton of fun.
Most importantly, before I move on to, you know, the puzzle, I have to plug my sister’s article in The Wall Street Journal!! As I’m writing this, it’s not published yet, but it goes live at 2 p.m. today, Tuesday, in the travel section under the headline, "I Walked 500 Miles on the Camino de Santiago to Find What Comes Next," by Shannon Carroll. I’ll be back to update the link when the story goes live! [Edit: Here it is!]
Anywho, with all that, on to the puzzle…
Relative difficulty: Easy-medium

THEME: PLANETS (45D: Celestial "wanderers" ... or what this puzzle's circled letters represent) — The eight planets are listed in the puzzle, with the circled letters representing their approximate distance from the sun
Theme answers:
- MERCURY (34A: 1st)
- VENUS (28A: 2nd)
- EARTH (51A: 3rd)
- MARS (33D: 4th)
- JUPITER (10D: 5th)
- SATURN (15A: 6th)
- URANUS (62A: 7th)
- NEPTUNE (1D: 8th)
Ceratopogonidae is a family of flies colloquially known as no-see-ums, sand flies, or biting midges, generally 1–3 millimetres (1⁄16–1⁄8 in) in length. The family includes more than 5,000 species, distributed worldwide, apart from the Antarctic and the Arctic. Ceratopogonidae midges are also one of the best-studied cocoa pollinators. (Wiki)
• • •
I quite enjoyed that puzzle! The circled letters and the dotted lines showing the orbits were complex, even a tad gimmick-y, but, overall, the construction was very impressive, especially coming from a first-time constructor. The constructor managed to fit in eight planets with different orbits represented — in order — along with additional words that are relevant to the theme such as SUNS (15D: Symbols of fair weather) and TITAN (47A: Moon believed to have a subsurface ocean). The theme seems timely, too. The PERSEIDS (16A: Summer meteor shower named for a mythological hero) meteor shower is in the news; there was a total solar eclipse a couple of weeks ago; a partial lunar eclipse is coming up; and there was an alignment of six planets earlier this month.
I pretty quickly realized the theme and what the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. would represent, so I immediately went around the puzzle typing in the planets. That made this a quicker-than-normal Tuesday solve for me. It did take me quite a bit to figure out what the circles represented; I thought they might represent the first letter of the planets, maybe they created an anagram, etc. Only after creating a little graphic for myself did I realize that the circle letters in each planet represented that planet’s approximate distance from the sun.
For those of you with not great eyes (i.e., my dad), you might have strained to see the dashes that create the circles representing the orbits. I wonder why there are only seven dashed circles, with URANUS and SATURN on the same orbit — and not one for each of the eight planets. But that’s above my knowledge (or was all the constructor could manage). I didn’t think a revealer was even necessary, given that the theme was obvious, but it’s still impressive that the constructor got ORBITAL (44D: Like the paths of 45-Down, as visually depicted in this puzzle) and PLANETS (45D: Celestial "wanderers" ... or what this puzzle's circled letters represent) in there, too.
(As a “Psych” lover, I couldn’t help but be sad Pluto wasn’t on there.)
I struggled a fair amount in the north (middle) of the puzzle, especially with NO-SEE-UMS (7D). I’m not sure I have ever heard that term before, so I was incredibly confused. Combine that with the vague OH DAMN (6D: "Wowza!") that doesn’t really fit the clue, crossing MENSA (24A: Smart set) and AEON (20A: Billion years, astronomically), and it took me a bit to puzzle through. I thankfully know AKON (4A: One-named Senegalese American singer with the #1 hits "I Wanna Love You" and "Don't Matter") very well, growing up listening to his music, but I imagine some people struggled there.
Along with OH DAMN (6D), there were a few other quotations that I didn’t really like. Like: IT’S A DATE (60A: "I'd love to go"), AW C’MON (25D: "Man, that's hardly fair!"), and THAT SO (48D: "Are you sure?"). They’re part of the category that’s so vague that many things can fit. MIDI (20A: ___ skirt) was also annoying, given it could’ve easily been “maxi” or “midi,” and the clue gave us nothing to go on. I refuse to believe SHIVERY (39D: Like someone emerging from freezing cold water, typically) is a word. WAWA (56A: Drink in a sippy cup, to a toddler) clued like that seems a bit weird. RAT (8D: Creature sometimes trained for bomb detection) gave me pause because I tried “dog.” Even when I got to “_AT,” I took a bit to understand that it had to be RAT, not “cat.” I had enough downs that I got TECATE (58A: Mexican beer brand) quite easily, but that felt like a harder-than-a-normal-Tuesday type word. (My sister, who knows her Mexican beers, said she put Modelo.)
All that being said, there were still some good words in the puzzle — on top of the fun theme. My favorite word was ENAMOR (32A: Captivate), followed closely by TRILL (19A: Musical flutter). I also liked BARISTA (3D: One known for the morning grind?). It was good seeing IVERSON (2D: Allen who was the 2001 N.B.A. M.V.P.), as he’s the only good A.I. The clue/answer for TIME (38A: Something told with two hands?) was fun (even if I did have _I_E and thought I was very clever when I confidently put in “jive”).
Overall, the puzzle was an enjoyable solve — and an impressive construction!
Misc.:
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)] =============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
π My other blog π:
Misc.:
- I’ve recently gotten into F1 (after watching the Netflix show “Drive to Survive”), and I’ve been watching the races each weekend. So it feels on point to have PACE CAR (40D: Raceway speed setter) even if it’s called a “safety car” in F1. (Go, Kimi and/or Oscar!)
- I’d kind of forgotten about AKON (4A) over the years, but he’s apparently still going strong with 41.5 million monthly listeners on Spotify, and his biggest song, “Smack That,” (with Eminem) has 1.7 billion streams. I was 10 years old when that song came out, and I knew all of the lyrics, including the rap, which, looking back, was rather raunchy. Oops!
- I loved CHASM (46A: Great divide). First off, it’s a fantastic word. The clue is also the title of the incredible Noah Kahan album “The Great Divide" (which I saw him perform most of last month — from the barricade!).
- I will always remember the moon TITAN (47A) because I did a presentation in 7th grade science class on SATURN (15A). I learned TITAN is the planet’s biggest moon and is the second biggest in the solar system. (Anything else, I’ll have to brush up on from the Internet).
- If only there were penalty kicks after a TIE GAME (43D: Reason to go into penalty kicks) in the regular season of the Premier League so my Liverpool team could’ve completed the comeback and actually won our stupid opening game against Newcastle instead of just tying it up in the 100th minute.
I’m also very pleased that my dog, RED (53D: Sunburned, perhaps), made an appearance in the puzzle today (even if it should have been clued to be about her instead!). As I’ve written this, I think she’s brought me eight toys because she wants to play, so maybe she knows she’s being written about.
And that’s all from me! Hope you all have a great September. (And don’t forget to go read my sister’s articleπ)
Signed, Clare Carroll, RED’s giant
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
π My other blog π:
- Pop Sensation (vintage paperbacks)














68 comments:
I always solve the puzzles without reading anything about it prior to solving - it's hard not to wish this was a Sunday puzzle - after solving read how Bryan who created it spent a year - gasp - before submitting it. puzzles like this are why we commit our time to solving them. brave Bryan!
Agree with Clare that the puzzle was enjoyable. Mostly Tuesday-easy, but I had no clue about AKON, who became my one look-up. I knew all the planets in numerical order, so I didn't bother with the circles or their pattern in the grid.
The clue for NOSEEUM should have indicated a colloquial answer.
Easy but enjoyable. Got 1D NEPTUNE from crosses and after that the theme answers (all of the answers, actually) filled themselves. Relatively little dreck given the constraints of the theme.
* * * _ _
No overwrites, one WOE: the one-named singer AKON at 4A.
Red brought you one toy for each planet
Great puzzle, agree with easy-medium. Having "OHDAMN" and "AWCMON" in the same grid did seem a little too parallel, but overall, terrific fill considering all the constraints! Enjoyed it. They would have had to make the 8th orbit pass outside the box and just cross at the corner.... which would have been cool. Great Puzzle, thanks, Bryan!!! : )
This would have been a good theme just working in the names of the planets. Having them all be in the correct order from the ‘sun’ makes it a great one.
Note to Clare - they are not, however, representing their approximate distances from the sun. For example, Neptune is about ninety times further from the sun than Mercury.
Puzzles with impressive and clever constructions are very often not much fun to solve, but this was quite good. Congrats, Bryan! Nice write up of the constructor here: https://gazettenet.com/2026/08/25/a-rare-feat-florence-crossword-fan-cracks-the-new-york-times-with-first-published-puzzle/ (Sorry it’s not a clickable link.)
Thanks for the write up, Clare, though some things that bothered you (AW CMON, OH DAMN, ITS A DATE) we’re fine with me. Speaking of which, how did it get to be the end of August?
Oh yes, Bryan has the chops. Here we have 61 theme squares – quite high – with the planets having to be specifically placed in the grid, plus bonus answers PERSEIDS, TITAN, and AEON (as clued) – and hardly a hint of junk answers!
No wonder it took him a trip around the sun to finally reach this final version.
But most importantly, how was the solve? For me, most pleasurable. Sure, I slapped those planet names in early on, but a decent portion of the box filled in haltingly, to my brain’s delight. And the final grid, with the rings, is a thing of beauty.
I love seeing ATOM in the grid, as atoms are often portrayed as mini solar systems. I also smiled at the PuzzPair©️ of MARS and RED.
This skillfully-built and audacious grid from a new Times constructor shows great promise, and I’ll be watching for your name up the road, Bryan. This was an eye-opener. Bravo sir, congratulations, and thank you!
Loved this! So many words that make me smile just because they are great words (Clare mentioned many of them). And for me (who is a bit older than Clare) I loved all the colloquial expressions and thought they were spot-on for the way my friends and I talk. No notes! So fun!
Looking forward to the article! I spent five years in Spain and think the Camino is one of the world’s most beautiful experiences, in many ways.
Liked this puzzle for its construction, fun vocabulary, and timeliness. Brought back nostalgic memories of warm August nights when one of my cousins and I would throw a blanket on the grass in a country location and lay on our backs to watch the night sky for meteor trails. Also great to have another RED sighting.
Amazing feat of construction. Not only do the planets have to be in the right order, moving out from the sun, but they also have to fit into a symmetrical grid. That's a lot of constraint. Pretty easy solve, though, since once you get one theme answer you have them all. Maybe if the clues were not the ordinal numbers it would be a little harder.
BTW, @Clare, URANUS and SATURN are not the same distance out, remembering that we are measuring from the circled squares (as you note). The A in SATURN is the same distance as the second U in URANUS, but the circled A in the latter is a bit further away.
I'm reading that I should see the orbits as dotted lines once I complete the grid, but I'm not seeing them, and I'm using an external monitor so everything is larger. Maybe when you enlarge the orbits they become too light-colored to see. Ah well.
No dashed lines in the newspaper version. Solved it easily but still have no clue what the circled letters accomplish.
Continuing your note: the circles represent the RELATIVE distances.
Sorry to say this puzzle brought us zero resistance and minimal joy, and I predicted a third straight two-star rating from Rex.
Just don't at all like the clue category which, today, brought us "I'd love to go", "Wowza", "Man, that's hardly fair" and "Are you sure?". Do constructors actually fret (often vainly IMO) over the equivalence of these, often colloquial, terms? I'd allow two per puzzle, max, but that's me... although Clare was on my wavelength today.
I'll admit to the possibility that I was put in a foul mood by the visual of the middle horizontal row which, using the center sun as a circle, spelled ALITO TIME. Unfortunately, we have suffered far too long with that anti-jurist, his corrupt companion, and their Chief Justice who publicly has fretted over his legacy (too late). It will take much longer to purge SCOTUS of its vileness than it will the executive (2029) and legislative (coming soon!) branches, but their day will come too.
AWCMON. This is all wrong. The planet orbits are not equally spaced in distance from the sun. If MERCURY is 1 cell away from the sun, then obviously NEPTUNE should have been 70 cells away from the center of the grid. It's clear to me that Bryan just didn't want to give us a 141x141 grid crossword and took the easy way out.
(Kidding, of course. Impressive and fun puzzle)
Clare,
Incredibly envious of your sister. I assume she traveled the Camino Frances--it's the most traditional route and 500 mile so....
Do you happen to know if it's being published today because today is the Feast of King Louis IX? Whatever the reason, I'll be reading her piece and hope she found peace on the camino.
Nice!
I agree with most of Clare's comments and also found that the top middle was the last section to fill in, partly because I've never heard of AKON and also because the clue for OH DAMN was so odd. To me, "Wowza!" evokes a positive response like "How fantastic!" not a negative one. The USSR clue was pretty odd, too. No other serious gripes and I do appreciate that constructing a puzzle with this theme was an accomplishment.
Regarding thematic timeliness... this week marks the 20th anniversary since Pluto was demoted (8/24/06)
Jet lagged here, but I think I finally understand the circled letters: If measuring from that particular letter to the sun, you get the planetary order. Nice write-up Clare, good to hear from a generation that seems AEONS away:) Also, a little jealous of someone who hasn't heard of or presumably experienced NOSEEUMS. (with that triple vowel, I assumed I had something wrong; balanced nicely by WCM of AWCMON).
I was waiting for RexRants on MENSA and infantile WAWA.
It was a pretty hard and interesting puzzle to solve. But I had to come here to find out what the circles meant. So no πfor me.
Yo! This revealer is an ignorant "crime against science"! Orbital is a noun referring to the probability distribution of an electron in one of the shells of an atom. An orbital is a spherical or dumbbell shaped cloud. It DOES NOT refer to the path, or orbits, of the planest. More science ignorance from the NYT crossword. It's a bummer.
Mrs. Egs was shocked and embarrassed to hear me say "Hey bae. URANUS is in the New York Times Crossword Puzzle!"
Bouncer: Can I see your IDs?
Teen: Well, what we have aren't IDs per se.
Bouncer: Well I need PERSEIDS or you're not coming in.
Conductor: Didn't you see that wavy squiggly line above the final note?
Violinist: I think someone erased it!
Conductor: You mean the TRILL is gone?
For 11D [Desert quality] I really wanted jejunITY but had to settle for ARIDITY.
I enjoyed this galactic tour immensely, including al the slangy stuff. Wonderful debut. Thanks and congrats, Bryan Kaproth-Gerecht.
Loved this one! PERSEIDS didn’t come easy for me and it took me a minute to remember Akon but eventually I dropped in ABEL and that cleared up. I only know NOSEEUMS from the ny times puzzle, and was happy to remember it!
The planets I assumed right away and started plugging them in at the first * clue.
egs@8.52, thanks for the trill is gone. Always good to remember B.B. King!
Caught on to the planet thing after NEPTUNE but didn't bother to see how far away from the sun they were in the puzzle, impressive that. Stuck momentarily on AKON as the only one name four letter singer from Africa I know is Sade, which of course didn't work. Easy fix. I'm with @burtonkd in wishing I didn't know about NOQEEUMs. Very irritating little buggers.
Don't think I've ever said SITWITH in the sense of I "mull over". I'll SITWITH that for a while? Uh, no.
Liked being reminded of Vonnegut;s Sirens of TITAN. Great book.
I'm glad ARIDITY wasn't clued with something like :"jejeuneness".
Very nice debut, BKG. The Best Kinda Grid that works and has good fill. Congrats and thanks for all the fun.
Life in Drizzlevania: twas overcast for the perseids, twill be rainy for the lunar eclipse, oh darn (OH DAMN).
I don't think your description of the theme is quite right; you say the circled letters are "representing their approximate distance from the sun", but it's more like their *order* of the differences from the Sun; if the actual distances were being approximated, then Saturn, Uranus and Neptune would be way off the grid.
Excellent write-up Claire!
M-W says:
: of, relating to, or forming an orbit (such as the orbit of a moon, planet, or spacecraft)
AKON, OHDAMN finished it . didn't appreciate either
The Institute of Olfactory Systems has an excellent NOSEEUM open to the public. The sneeze exhibit is a blast. Best to avoid the peak hours though, as the more popular passages can be clogged.
I noticed some comments complaining about ALB in yesterday's puzzle. I guess the feeling was ALB be damned.
It was freezing this morning. Who says SHIVERY is dead?
When you're trying to gather the courage to talk to that pretty girl over there, it's a question of CHATUP or shut up.
Wonderful puzzle and writeup. Red is beautiful, Clare.
Indeed
I liked the theme quite a bit and saw it early. The revealers were ok, but unneeded. A big BOO to BOHO, TECATE, and WAWA (permitted if referring to the Ontario town of Wawa on Lake Superior), Now I'll go read Clare's thoughts.
It was also great seeing IVERSON as -- wait for it-- The Answer!
Very nice! I loved the idea of the PLANETS getting a tribute puzzle. After I'd finished solving, I drew lines from the SUN to each circled letter to see if the celestial orbs were really in their proper order - and indeed they were. That gets a WOWZA! For me, NOSEEUMS and SHIVERY were the other special treats. Great debut!
@Clare, I always enjoy your write-ups. Congratulations to your sister!
Who else spent a few minutes trying to figure out what the circled letters spelled out?
i still don't understand the point of the circled letters. π€
Joking. Right? My Webster's II New College includes ORBITAL as an adjective in the sense used in the puzzle.
PERSEIDS!!
Slow your roll, pal. "Orbital" here is being used as an adjective, not a noun. The paths of the planets are ORBITAL paths.
Each circled letter intersects with the dotted line representing that planet’s orbit. (The dotted lines are faint but visible online and not to be seen, apparently, in the print version. My one nit with this otherwise excellent puzzle, and not the constructor’s fault. A brilliant feat of construction that, for once, does not interfere with the pleasure of the solve. Bravo, Brian K-G!)
They’re the planets themselves!
ugh. a look-at-me construction over content puzzle.
opening a puzzle and seeing circled letters and/or graphics portends disappointment. this puzzle continued the trend and added the insult of an asterisk-marked clue for the first down (immediately giving up 8 answers). as clare noted, most of the dreaded colloquialisms, while gettable, were just enough off to create a conversational uncanny valley.
ORBITAL only drew attention to the simplistic use of circles instead of ellipses, whilst PERSEIDS, which peaked last week, highlighted the puzzle's almost-timeliness.
they are the relative locations of the planets to the sun
Kind of an interesting and enjoyable one. I struggled wandering around the grid until I finally discerned that we were dealing with the planets, after which things opened up considerably.
I do have a complaint though about that whole north central section. Even with the rest of the grid filled in, there isn’t much that is inferable about AKON, NOSEEUM, AEON, BOHO, and PERSEIDS. Hopefully it’s a wheelhouse situation, but that section was close to unsolvable for me - on a Tuesday ! I will cut the constructor some slack, as this is his first puzzle to be accepted, and apparently he struggled for a year on this grid with a clever theme and obviously lots of challenges due to the theme density. But isn’t that what we have editors for? C’mon - out of the peeps on the NYT team (Will, Joe, Christina . . ), no one noticed that an entire section could probably be lifted from this grid a plopped down on a Friday, no problem ? Oh well, let me know if I am an outlier and, on a whole, this grid is Tuesday-appropriate, difficulty wise.
Me encantarΓa ir.
Cute little puzzle. Just last night I was looking up mnemonics for the new and improved solar system. The eight planets here are sort of "been there done that," but the dwarf planets are a fun batch of crazy. There's nine-ish right now and whoever is in charge of naming them is a wackadoo.
I was hoping the circles would spell something, maybe PLUTO FAN?
We have to put a stop to this MIDI skirt nonsense. We've reached a point in society through years of struggle and oppression and a lot of people have dedicated themselves to this important cause, so if it's a skirt, the only possible answer should be MINI.
SPRUCES is a weirdly awkward plural especially when it can be a regular word for cleaning things up. I'd also prefer to see SPRUCES becoming guitars than Christmas trees.
Flirting is having a good week. Are we in love there in mid-town?
❤️ NOSEEUM. SHIVERY.
π© ARIDITY.
Gunkometer--
People: 9
Places: 0 {planets don't count today}
Products: 4
Partials: 5
Foreignisms: 1
--
Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 19 of 76 (25%)
Funny Factor: 4 π
π₯ Ooh-la-la! π₯ URANUS. Arouses, as an appetite. OH DAMN.
Uniclues:
1 De-gor-ifies.
2 What I said twelve hours before waking up in the gutter.
3 Flirt with Poseidon in Rome.
4 Room where noted anti-practice basketball star keeps a prison shank collection.
5 Where to grab an espresso at Daytona.
6 Enjoy an idle bite.
1 SPRUCES POST OP
2 IT'S A DATE TECATE (~)
3 CHAT UP NEPTUNE (~)
4 IVERSON SHIVERY
5 BARISTA PACE CAR
6 SIT WITH NOSEEUM (~)
My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Specialty of a traveling corset remover who is high. UNLACES NEPAL.
¯\_(γ)_/¯
The puzzle should have indicated that the circled squares represented the planets. Malaika only hinted at it. I solved the puzzle easily but just now drew in orbits around the sun going through the names of the planets.
The fill was dull except that it had CHASM, one of my favorite words.
Easy-medium. I stared at the completed grid for a boat load of nanoseconds trying to figure out what the pair of reveal clues meant. I finally saw the almost imperceptible dashed line concentric circles running through the PLANETS and it finally made sense (sort of).
No WOEs and no costly erasures.
Cringy - ARIDITY
Impressive feat of construction but the graphics could have been better, liked it.
ITSADATE
Fun! Reminds me of the entrance area to Griffith Observatory where the planets’ relative distances are noted on the ground. Surprised no Holst, but appreciate the lack of name fill after last week’s name-a-palooza. Great first puzzle from Bryan and look forward to seeing what they create next.
@Anonymous 8:52 AM
"Crime against science!" I wonder if the Department of Pompous School Boys is where these crimes are reported? I wonder who enforces these, maybe the It's Not an Orbital Sander workshop? I wonder what court adjudication exists. I wonder what sentencing guidelines exist. I wonder if science crime jail is SHIVERY, or noted for its ARIDITY. We're lucky to have crossword police ready willing and able to call out such violations against wisdom.
Very impressive feat of construction. Even more impressive that this is a debut.
With that, I did find this to be challenging for a Tuesday. Even when the theme clicked and I quickly was able to fill in the planets, like @Clare and others, that central north neighborhood was completely unknown to me. AKON, BOHO, and NOSEEUM: No clue. OHDAMN was just plain hard but *that* struggle I enjoyed. PERSEIDS may have been somewhere in the deep recesses of my brain but it was a workout to summon it to the surface. For whatever reason, I wasn't particularly excited to learn these few little nuggets and that took some joy away.
The fill was fine, though I'm not in love with SHIVERY and ARIDITY. But now that I wrote them both out, they're kinda fun to say together!
I actually liked some of the stuff that annoyed Clare, like AWCMON, ITSADATE, and THATSO. In-the-language stuff always makes me smile.
Pulling off this kind of multi-layered theme as well as it came out is very, very good stuff and the sign of a constructor we will no doubt see much more of. Congrats Bryan on this very impressive debut! Now, can someone please explain to me like I'm a 5-year old how the circled letters indicate relative distance from the sun?? I'm still not getting it.
Wow! Red is super cute! Lucky you! π
The puzzle today did a ton, and you probably can't ask it to do more but man did I want "Mexican beer brand" to be CORONA!
Audacious and ambitious! Sort of a non-proportional orrery (my favorite word... if you don't know it you'll have to look it up.)
No orbital circles in Across Lite, of course; only the letters, though it sounds like that's not a great loss. But pretty impressive theme for a Tuesday.
That AKON BOHO OHDAMN area was tricky. AKON is a Total Unknown, and really BOHO and ABEL could have been other things, giving us, for instance, AW DAMN! And then 25 down would have been OH CMON.
Fun fact: our former 9th planet Pluto's orbit actually crosses inside of Neptune's! Nice diagram here, showing Pluto was closer to the sun from 1979 to 1999.
EAN EM RHA! God of them celestial wanderers. Nice job, fittin all them planets into a 15x15.
Did get nice and easy, to respond to each *nth clue.
staff weeject pick: RED. Cute dog of Clare, and close to a REX encounter.
fave stuff included: PERSEIDS [almost as cool as lettin PLUTO sneak into the puz. PLUTO was almost hidden in that row, but it lacked an L]. TIME clue. OHDAMN. AWCMON.
Thanx for the primo astronomy tour, Mr. Kaproth-Gerecht dude. And congratz on yer SHIVERY-neat debut. It had few ARIDITY probs. har
Masked & Anonymo8Us
p.s.
Runt puzzle:
**gruntz**
p.p.s.s.
We just got back from a 2-week trip to Alaska. Got to see a buncha moose(s), bears, tour guides, and a wolf. And saw Mount Denali, from a distance. We've now been to all 50 states, just a coupla months after our 50th anniversary. But ... nice to be hommmme ...
M&A
I have never heard another name for no-see-ums. But I guess they are a type of midges.
Easy Tuesday with an ambitious themed grid. Sadly I missed some of the enjoyment because I solve with my iPhone and while I could see the circled letters, the circular orbits were too faint to follow even after reading Clare’s explanation. I love a Clare day and she was a delight yet again.
RIP Pluto. We still miss you. At least I do—I had a precocious two-year-old nephew who was an astronomy geek obsessed with Pluto, creating an entire lore of Plutonian culture, right before the demotion. But the puzzle was great!
Gary,
You just can’t resist. Your instincts are dead on. And even your sarcastic response was great until, as always, you misstep. No need for both court and adjudication. Using both makes the sentence redundant. The sine qua non of courts is adjudication.
Keep fighting. I’m rooting for you.
Loved this great puzzle and Clare’s writeup with the adorable Red. Thanks for the circled letter explanation. However I love Pluto and wish it had made an appearance. Easy fun Tuesday puzzle.
Enjoyed the perseids this year with no moon!
Unfortunately our skies are suffering from increasing light pollution, not to mention all the satellites.
In Eugene there is a wonderful scale model of the solar system along the river bike path. Sun and each of the planets to scale, distances too. Pluto was there last time I biked out that far.
So, those of you that have commented on the point of the circled letters: can you tell me what the letters stand for? The order of them, if i have it right, is E, A, N, E, R, M, H, A. What WORDS do those letters stand for? Obviously not directional (no S, W.) Nor numeric. Sorry to sound dumb...
How are these circles each with one random letter in them the planets themselves? I need a lot of remedial help here as you can see.
@Hugh,
Of all the circled letters, the M in Mercury is closest (in the grid) to the Sun in the center of the grid, only one square away. Correspondingly, Mercury is the closest planet to the actual Sun in the actual solar system.
Next closest of the circled letters to the Sun (in the grid) is the N in Venus, two squares up and one square over. Correspondingly Venus is the second closest planet to the Sun in the actual solar system.
Third closest in the grid is the H in Earth, three squares down and one over. Correspondingly Earth is the third planet from the actual Sun.
And so on. In other words, the circled letters, sorted by their distances from the center of the grid, are in the same order as the distances from the actual Sun of the planets whose names the circled letters appear in.
Hope that helps.
Pondering the dynamic of SATURN and URANUS being on the same orbit here, which does seem to be a flaw in a very impressively constructed puzzle. Just to harp on the whole Pluto thing again, I recall that it is closer to the sun than Neptune for a whopping 8% of the year, so there would have been an argument for those to sharing the orbit in the grid.
Obviously, 20 years later, it’s going to take a long time for me to get over this one.
Bob Mills
No-see-under
The excerpt was from Wikipedia. I think Wikipedia meant what the common names are as opposed to the ( long) scientific name. Really it is the same as dog vs canis canis, except obviously much less well known.
I enjoyed this one, even though a bit obvious as soon as I saw Neptune in the top corner. I *really* wanted to see Pluto in there, even if it was with a clue that pointed to the Disney dog instead of the planet. Big missed opportunity to include a sly nod to our favorite lost planet.
Post a Comment