Sport similar to pétanque / FRI 8-21-26 / Leader in a robe called a kasaya / Jazz musician Jamal / Coupling rings? / Losing control emotionally, in slang / First filmmaker to receive the Order of Culture in Japan / One-named pop star with Monkey Puzzle Records / ___ Crosley, author of 2008's "I Was Told There'd Be Cake"

Friday, August 21, 2026

Constructor: Adryel W. Robles Ojeda

Relative difficulty: Medium

THEME: none 

Word of the Day: AHMAD Jamal (33D: Jazz musician Jamal) —
Ahmad Jamal
(born Frederick Russell Jones; July 2, 1930 – April 16, 2023) was an American jazz pianist, composer, bandleader, and educator. For six decades, he was one of the most successful small-group leaders in jazz. He was a National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) Jazz Master and won a Lifetime Achievement Grammy for his contributions to music history. [...] Trained in both traditional jazz ("American classical music", as he preferred to call it) and European classical style, Jamal was praised as one of the greatest jazz innovators over the course of his exceptionally long career. Following bebop greats like Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie, Jamal entered the world of jazz at a time when speed and virtuosic improvisation were central to the success of jazz musicians as artists. Jamal, however, took steps in the direction of a new movement, later coined "cool jazz"an effort to move jazz in the direction of classical music. He emphasized space between notes in his musical compositions and interpretations instead of focusing on the fast-paced bebop style. // Because of this style, Jamal was "often dismissed by jazz writers as no more than a cocktail pianist, a player so given to fluff that his work shouldn't be considered seriously in any artistic sense".[48] Stanley Crouch, author of Considering Genius, offered a very different reaction to Jamal's music, claiming that, like the highly influential Thelonious Monk, Jamal was a true innovator of the jazz tradition and is second in importance in the development of jazz after 1945 only to Charlie Parker. (wikipedia)
• • •

There were several delightful parts of this puzzle, but the puzzle really does bury you in names, and that can begin to feel ... wearisome. I am a movie lover and (perhaps excessive) movie watcher—finished two just yesterday: the camp classic Desert Fury (1947) (a rewatch), and a short documentary about Japan's Inland Sea called, fittingly, The Inland Sea (1991). So getting to see both Akira KUROSAWA (artist, titan) and RYAN COOGLER in the same puzzle made me happy. But that's the thing about names. They hit or they miss, and if they miss, you have no way to infer them, no access to them. They feel exclusionary. Doesn't mean there shouldn't be names in puzzles. Just means you should use them somewhat sparingly. Today, we start with three names one on top of the other (EMILE over LAMELO over SIA), which then run into something called OOH AAH POINT (?!). From there, AHMAD Jamal sits right around the corner. RYAN COOGLER comes crashing through the middle, SLOANE and TAO are holding hands over there in the NE, and then KUROSAWA runs down to the bottom of the grid to hang out alongside Julio CESAR Chávez. The SW corner is the only area that manages to stay out of the Name Game. Every other corner's juggling multiple names. I knew ... most of them? But forgot if it was LAMELL or LAMELO, and stalled on AHMAD Jamal—a downstream effect of having (embarrassingly) misspelled ELYSÉES (as ELYSSÉS, which meant that what should've been THEATER GEEK started T-S, and an "H" could not plausibly go between an initial "T" and an "S" and soooooo ... no AHMAD (for a while)). For me, the names became a distraction. I literally said "again?" when I got up into the SLOANE / TAO part. I thought the long answers were pretty solid on this one, with a nice clean stack through the middle and a few other decent longer answers scattered about (WHERE IT'S AT and GETS THE AX were probably my favorite). But the names are an ISSUE. Felt like an overload.


I think I was supposed to find OOH AAH POINT and "SO DARN CUTE" charming, but sadly I didn't. The first seems exceedingly trivial (how would I know about this goofy name?) and the latter ... is fine, I guess, but I liked it better when I had it as SO DAMN CUTE (really gotta check your crosses! HEMS looked very right, until I looked at the actual clue: 52D: Possessive pronoun (HERS). And that wasn't the only mistake I made, by a long shot. We already covered the ELYSÉES misspelling. Then there was the double-wrong disaster to open the puzzle. I wrote in EMIR / REBUS for 1A: Leader in a robe called a kasaya / 4D: Puzzle) (LAMA / ADDLE). Genius! I thought Colo.'s neighbor was NEV (there's a whole damn state between Colo. and NEV! My mom and sister live in Colo., I should know this, but I was operating on instinct). No other mistakes today, though there were a few struggles. Really couldn't make sense of 40D: One might leave you unprotected at night (BED HOG). If you hog the blankets you leave someone "unprotected." A BED HOG just takes over the damn bed, spacewise. Also, the "One" in that clue is ambiguous—it suggests object, not human being, which is what confused me most. 


Bullets:
  • 15A: Coupling rings? (BOOTY CALLS) — cute clue, but this expression hasn't been fresh in a good while. So weird (i.e. typical) that the NYTXW only started including BOOTYCALL(S) in the 2020s. The expression was coined in 1993 and became popular enough to be the subject (and title) of a whole-ass movie by 1997. Then, time passed. A lot of time. 24 years! And then it debuted in the NYTXW (2021). And we've had four more appearances since. That's ... quite a time lag. Maybe the term is still current, I have no idea. People mostly text now, though, right? BOOTY CALLS are not to be confused with BUTT DIALS (NYTXW debut: 2013 (as BUTTDIALED)).
[yikes—the '90s were ... something]
  • 27A: One-named pop star with Monkey Puzzle Records (SIA) — is "Monkey Puzzle Records" supposed to help? That adds no pertinent information. If you don't know SIA, you damn sure don't know Monkey Puzzle Records. Maybe the idea is that we like puzzles so we'll like knowing this trivia? :/ Also, adding "protocol" to 45A: Focus of a concussion protocol was just confusing. I wanted something more technical, more specifically sportsy, but I just ended up back at the focus of every concussion: the HEAD. Overwritten clue for a basic answer.
  • 7D: Sport similar to pétanque (BOCCE) — "Pétanque" sounds like a card game. It is not. You throw balls. At other balls. It's very French.
  • 31D: Metal tube in a nuclear reactor (FUEL ROD) — good answer, made better for reminding me of the time Homer didn't win Employee of the Week at the nuclear power plant. 

Also (speaking of The Simpsons), a FUEL ROD implies the existence of a Fuel Todd.  

That's all for today. See you next time. 


Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

44 comments:

Conrad 6:05 AM  


Medium. Friday-appropriate difficulty level. Liked it.
* * * * _

Overwrites:
It took a few misspellings to get the Champs-ELYSEES at 20D and KUROSAWA at 37D.
My 33A jazz musician was AHMAl before he was AHMAD. That made the 45A concussion focus HEAl instead of HEAD.
Like OFL, I thought Colo. was a neighbor to NEv rather than NEB at 34D. We both could use a remedial geography class.
At 41D I confused my game ratings with movie ratings and had RATED g instead of E.

WOEs:
Director RYAN COOGLER (9D).
Author SLOANE Crosley at 13D.
Ratatouille character EMILE at 19A (but easily inferred).
22A Mathematician Terrence TAO.
NBA Rookie of the Year LAMELO Ball (23A).
Never heard of 24D OOH AAH POINT at the Grand Canyon.
50D boxer Julio CESAR Chávez.

Bob Mills 6:09 AM  

Very frustrating Natick. No cheats, but I had "back lot" instead of BACKLOG ("rate" didn't seem right, but I didn't think of RAGE). Foreign words and names were prominent, so I agree with the medium-difficulty assessment.

SouthsideJohnny 6:15 AM  

Rex zeroed right in on the excessive use of trivia in this one, which is kind of a shame because it had the potential to be pretty good otherwise. It already takes some pretty good solving chops to be successful on a Friday, and if you need to be a trivia buff as well, then I’m certainly not in your target demographic today. Sorry, but laddering name upon name upon name is not my idea of a good time.

Anonymous 6:26 AM  

On what planet does “jejune” mean ARID ?

Rick Sacra 6:30 AM  

Nice friday puzzle!!! Took me 15 minutes last night, so that's medium. Had NEv before NEB (@REX), Very proud of myself for spelling ELYSEES right (it was a guess), and dredging RYANCOOGLER's name up from seeing OOGL.... It was a little name heavy. But boy that central stack was perfect. First answers in were LAMELO and ARAMAIC, but then the rest of that NW corner sat blank until the very end. Finally just guessed LABELS off just the LS, and was able to guess the rest up there. Thanks, Adryel, for a terrific Friday challenge! : )

Son Volt 6:38 AM  

Trivia fest is right - mostly plug in type easy but I can see some having an issue. Nice to see KUROSAWA but just a long gimme. Similar with the full proper name addition of COOGLER - waste of real estate. Rex highlights the rest of it - it does get tiring for a late week puzzle.

Paris 1919

I liked the look of the empty grid. The center tri-stack is fine - although I’m not sure why NEB was in there like that. Rex discusses BOOTY CALL - along with AMBER ALES and CO-CHAMPION makes for a weak NE. Have hiked to OOH AAH POINT - it is spectacular but again just more trivia - if you know it it’s fine. To put LAMELO in a trivia based puzzle with JAMAL and KUROSAWA is weak.

Free Man In Paris

Over quick at least - which is not ideal for a Friday. I felt this one had some promise if edited differently - the final product as offered didn't hit for me.

GRAM

Anonymous 6:41 AM  

I wondered this, too.

MaxxPuzz 6:46 AM  

Pétanque, I believe, is a southern French term for the also common boules, meaning balls. Bocce!

ElStudHombre 7:06 AM  

Believe me, Rex, as our pooch demonstrates basically every night, a BEDHOG does not in fact need to be human.

Anonymous 7:10 AM  

Boules is a generic term. Pétanque is a form of boules. I imagine lawn bowling is also a form of boules.

Iris 7:18 AM  

Certainly my first thought is childish, immature.

David Grenier 7:19 AM  

I was so disappointed when INANIMATE CARBON ROD wouldn’t fit.

Iris 7:21 AM  

I wrote “iris” for focus of a concussion protocol (blown irises) and admired the eye fake of “focus.”

RJ 7:23 AM  

I like a challenging puzzle but not when the challenges involve correctly spelling the names I don't know. I would rate a medium but a good amount of time was spent on backtracking and re-entering names I guessed. Cluing "arid" as jejeune was a real and unnecessary stretch.

Anonymous 7:27 AM  

Sinners stumped us at trivia night and Coogler stumped me today as did so many of the names. My wife had a cat called Toshiro, so Kurosawa was not one of them. Jejune always makes me think of Woody Allen's Love and Death. A v. stoned group of us literally rolling in the aisles, a great memory that later controversy cannot erase. Are jejunosity and aridity synonymous? Bit of a stretch. This was a rare Friday. I get easily bored and the preponderance of unknown names induced me to cheat a little. Not proud of it, but hey, I'd delayed breakfast long enough.

jberg 7:28 AM  

I had to look up COOGLER and LAMELO. Crossing the latter with OOH AAH POINT was just mean. I filled it in to end the puzzle and got an error message. Long ago, I had seen it might be TAI/SNOT or TAi SNiT, and went with the latter, thinking I knew where to go if I was told that something was amiss. But by the time I did get that message I had forgotten, so I had to go over all the entries to find it again.

I think of LAMAs as monks, so I hesitated to call them "leaders." But Ogden Nash says they're priests, so OK.

On the jejune = ARID thing, they each can be applied to a remark that is devoid of wit or spirit. At least, that was my reasoning.

Lewis 7:33 AM  

After first pass I realized this was a First Gear puzzle, time to shut the door and grind. Many no-knows and vague or multi-answer-possibility clues. Time to give the brain solitude to work behind the scenes as well as on the surface.

My brain lives for this. Maybe the Times is easing toward making tough themeless puzzles the rule once again. May it be.

Those three-stacks in the NE, center, and SW have zing and pop, six of those nine answers NYT debuts, including the lovely THEATER GEEK, MEATBALL, and GETS THE AX.

Lovely short answers as well, in JOSTLE, ROCOCO, BRASH, and BOCCE. And more loveliness in the form of splat fill rewards after finally getting tough answers.

In my crossword gym, this was a hard day, and I left the box feeling very satisfied. Freshness, toughness, loveliness – a right proper Friday. More please, Adryel. Thank you for a splendid outing!

Lewis 7:36 AM  

P.S. -- Lovely PuzzPair©️ in the SW of HEWS and GETS THE AX.

RooMonster 7:48 AM  

Hey All !
Impossible here without straight up Googing. Tried to stick to just looking up the unknown names, but still cheated on some regular answers. Nice puz, but off my wavelength.

Had NEB in for TEX and WYO in for NEB, but figured out MEATBALL SUB, so erased both, put NEB where it belonged, and then took forever to see TEX. Wanted GETSfired, the ole brain refusing to see anything else.

The Grand Canyon is a state away out here. As a former limo driver, I've taken people to the West Rim, haven't actually seen it myself. It's about a two hour-ish drive (going off memory, so take that as you will!), whereas the North Rim is close to six hours! I've seen the pics, good enough for me. No need to OOH and AAH at OOHAAHPOINT.

Got an SB fave with ROCOCO. Nice extended @M&A's Jaws of Themlessness.

Hope y'all have a great Friday!

One F
RooMonster
DarrinV

Ted 7:57 AM  

Rex, my good chap, this wasn't a Medium. You can't rate it a Medium when it has AHMAD, SLOANE, TAO, LAMELO. Those were some NATICK level names there. A 2008 author, crossing a 2006 Fields Medal winner? They made it nearly impossible to get into the NE. Plus that inscrutable clue on BOCCE. "Sport similar to pétanque" No one knows this. Just give us BOCCE so we have a prayer of getting anything else. That and ABC being ridiculously clued. Please, we need some toeholds in these corners.

Anonymous 8:00 AM  

Agreed

Beezer 8:08 AM  

Challenge for me today but somehow managed to finish and agree with Rex that there are a tad too many names in this one and no…I don’t really care to learn SIAs record label.
Also, agree with Rex on BEDHOG. A blanketHOG will grab the sheet and blanket as they roll over…leaving you “unprotected” and a BEDHOG sprawls out. With that said…I can’t vouch for the fact that the term blanketHOG exists. I just know I used it and that my husband stopped doing it decades ago.

DAVinHOP 8:10 AM  

Agree; well said, @SSJ.

Anonymous 8:17 AM  

I was in the same boat (went with ARID only because that's what all the crosses gave me). Merriam-Webster gives no version of 'dry' for the jejune, but if you search 'jejune' in Bing, the definition that comes up includes "2. (of ideas or writings) dry and uninteresting." 'Arid' is a synonym for 'dry' in the sense of 'little water,' but I don't think arid is a synonym for 'dry' in the sense meant here (e.g., who has ever used the phrase 'they have an arid sense of humor'?). Bad clue in my opinion.

Sutsy 8:19 AM  

Really did not enjoy this one for all the reasons that Rex illustrated. A positively joyless slog of names and trivia. Then to kick you when you're down they throw in ROCOCO. Shark Sandwich.

Andy Freude 8:20 AM  

I thought we’re supposed to get a themeless on Fridays. But this one has a theme, and the revealer is in the clue for 1 Down. So many NAMES. So many that an otherwise excellent puzzle became tiresome.

On the plus side, Rex highlights two of the best: the brilliant, deeply expressive AHMAD Jamal, and the compulsively watchable Akira KUROSAWA. That clip is terrific, Rex. Makes me want to learn Japanese just so I can rewatch his movies and get my eyes off the subtitles. So much beauty!

Alex 8:23 AM  

I hilariously imagined a person screaming "AAH AAH!" because they were scared of falling into the Grand Canyon, hence my very wrong aaHAAHPOINT. The fact that LAMELO and YOM were WoEs for me didn't help in this regard, haha. I can't believe this is my reason for DnFing the puzzle!

Also, I am glad I'm not the only person thrown off by Jejune = ARID (and not immature). I was questioning my memory of the word's definition for a minute!

Anonymous 8:25 AM  

In rod we trust!

Gary Jugert 8:25 AM  

Rabia, rabia contra la extinción de la luz.

Perfectly JEJUNE, and if I'd known any of the names other than SIA, I would have enjoyed it. As always I am surprised at the shallow depth of humor at the NYTXW, but they've been clear it's not in them to amuse, so why do I keep being amazed?

Our constructor got the "if you wanna make it past the slush pile editor" memo, and dropped a delicious gunk-be-damned 5th grade tee-hee-fest into their inbox.

The center stack is lovely. OOH AAH POINT is first class awesome.

So let's go over this again dear editors: It wouldn't hurt to run "technical stuff" past somebody before running the clues. LA TI DO is only ABC in one key. There are many more LA TI DOs that are NOT ABC than there are ABC. It's why they call them LA TI DO instead of ABC because LA TI DO isn't dependent on being ABC. Frankly, LA TI DO can be whatever it wants to be as long as it's not SOL (or SO for you youngsters) or any of the other chromatic weasels running around also not being ABC most of the time.

In college a few years ago I wrote a musical composition using the words to the Dylan Thomas poem. I've always loved it:

--

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas 1914 – 1953

--

Gunkometer--
People: 10 {gross}
Places: 2
Products: 2
Partials: 6
Foreignisms: 6
--
Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 26 of 68 (38%)

Funny Factor: 3 😐

🔥 Ooh-la-la! 🔥 BOOTY CALLS. Come (together). SNOT. Laid in a LAP. TATA.

Uniclues:

1 How the Dalai gets jolly.
2 Those times when you ask a trusted acquaintance to put lotion on your tush.
3 Say, "It was a stupid job and my supervisor was an idiot."
4 The apostle with the jostle.
5 How The Coyote glows in the dark.
6 Blow your nose.

1 LAMA AMBER ALES
2 ARID BOOTY CALLS
3 GETS THE AX RAGE
4 ARAMAIC BED HOG
5 ACME FUEL ROD
6 JOSTLE SNOT (~)

My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: C-SPAN. SENATE'S CINERAMA.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anonymous 8:28 AM  

Meanings of JejuneDull and dry: Lacking intellectual depth, significance, or nourishment.Childish: Displaying a lack of maturity, simplicity, or puke-worthy foolishness.Common SynonymsInsipidVapidBanalJuvenilePuerileWord OriginThe word comes from the Latin jejunus, which means fasting or empty of food. Over time, an empty meal turned into a metaphor for an empty, unrewarding idea or conversation.

mathgent 8:29 AM  

The names got me. Looked up five of them.

Learned the bizarre name of the Grand Canyon observation site. But that was the only plus. The three elevens were meh. Like the puzzle itself.

egsforbreakfast 8:33 AM  

ARID is listed as a weak adjective in M-W. Certainly no one uses it in the literal sense of dry, but I guess in the sense of boring, lifeless. Judges say: ok for a Friday.

DAVinHOP 8:33 AM  

Actually liked this a little more than Rex, but agree that it was a real namefest. It helped us a lot to guess correctly for ARAMAIC, MEATBALL SUB (guess I was hungry) and ROCOCO (wife was an art major), all with no crosses yet in place. Better lucky than good.

Knew LAMELO (one of the baller sons of a shameless promoter-father). Most of the other names needed plenty of help from crosses.

Plenty of foreignisms today, three of them French. @Gary will certainly point that out, as well as BOOTY CALLS, which we found...cheeky.

Expected OOH AAH POINT might be the WOTD, Wikipedia knows it as the South Kaibab Trail. With enough crosses in place, including both double vowels (initially "uh-oh, something's wrong"), it was inferable and added some unexpected zing.

We disliked the clue for BED HOG. Doesn't a bed hog encroach on your space, perhaps forcing you, precariously, toward the edge of the bed? Leaving you unprotected would be more like what a Cover HOG would do, no?

Record label clues are as unappreciated by us as Star Wars clues; thankfully the latter's streak continues!

Anonymous 8:40 AM  

Anyone else have BaD dOG before BED HOG?

egsforbreakfast 8:42 AM  

Nice uniclues today. Though I'm not a musician, I also raged against the ABC/LATIDO equivalency.

Anonymous 8:57 AM  

Names, names, names all over the place. But I liked the puzzle anyway.🎈🎈🎊🎊

Anonymous 9:05 AM  

High tea and afternoon tea mixed up again, either by the creator, the editor, or both. Pasty would have been accurate, but not scone.

egsforbreakfast 9:07 AM  

Should one resist when BOOTYCALLS? Asking for a friend.

I've got some special PJs that help with my gout symptoms. So when they flare up, I CRASHINGOUT wear. It's nice and warm, so it helps with the BEDHOG problem too.

I thought I was seeing something rude in the row at 40A, but it turned out to be a BRASH MER RAJ.

Psychiatrist: How would you describe your emotional state after experiencing RAGE ISSUES at OOHAAHPOINT?
Patient: AHMAD.

Thank God for the hint of Monkey Puzzle Records, because I think we all know the 2 and 4 letter artists there. And thanks for the fun, tough Friday, Adryel W. Robles Ojeda.

Eric 9:13 AM  

That was a very fun Friday! Loved BED HOG. Was a bit surprised by BOOTY CALL.

Anonymous 9:21 AM  

Happy to share that the NYT stats sheet indicated that today marks my 365th completed puzzle in a row. Rex, what's your streak at???

floatingboy 9:28 AM  

A bit tough for a Friday.

Anonymous 9:28 AM  

Me too. Crashed out on exactly that one letter. Had the T instead of a G. After somehow battling through the cascade of names and foreign words, it sucked to DNF on that letter.

Anonymous 9:29 AM  

Bill Buckley used jejune in precisely that way all the time.
Guessing this outfit weren’t subscribers to The New Republic.

Rex Parker 9:30 AM  

Since I don’t solve on vacation, not that long!

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP