Yodel alternatives / SUN 9-29-24 / Latin name for ancient Troy / Supergroup that performed at Woodstock, familiarly / Two for an opinion / "Mulan" adversaries / Players who straddle two positions, in hoops lingo / Poetic foot with a "dun-dun-DUN" rhythm / Oil catcher in the kitchen / Gershwin composition that opens with a famous clarinet glissando

Sunday, September 29, 2024

Constructor: Joe Deeney

Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium


THEME: "The Ayes Have It" — an "aye" pun ... the letter "I" is added to both words in familiar two-word phrases, creating wacky answers, which are clued wackily (i.e. "?"-style)

Theme answers:
  • CORNIER STORIES (22A: Anecdotes that are more likely to elicit eye rolls?)
  • TIRADE IDEALS (39A: Qualities of the perfect rant?)
  • WIRY SIMILE (47A: "Skinny as a beanpole" or "thin as a rail"?)
  • STEAMIER CLAIM (68A: More risqué assertion?)
  • TAXI BIASES (87A: Reasons that commuters might prefer Uber?)
  • WAITER METIER (95A: In-depth knowledge of the menu, perhaps?)
  • PLIANT GENIUSES (118A: Ones with flexible minds and bodies?)
Word of the Day: Ragamuffin (1A: Establishment where you might eat a muffin while petting a ragamuffin => CAT CAFE) 
The 
Ragamuffin is a breed of domestic cat. It was once considered to be a variant of the Ragdoll cat but was established as a separate breed in 1994. Ragamuffins are notable for their friendly personalities and thick fur. // The physical traits of the breed include a rectangular, broad-chested body with shoulders supporting a short neck. These cats are classified as having heavy bones and a "substantial" body type. // The head is a broad, modified wedge with a moderately rounded forehead with short or medium-short muzzle and an obvious nose dip. The muzzle is wide with puffy whisker pads. The body should appear rectangular with a broad chest and broad shoulders and moderately heavy muscling in the hindquarters, with the hindquarters being equally broad as the shoulders. A tendency toward a fatty pad in the lower abdomen is expected. // Fur length is to be slightly longer around the neck and outer edges of the face, resulting in the appearance of a ruff. Texture is to be soft, dense and silky. Ragamuffin kittens are usually born white and develop a color pattern as they mature. Every color and pattern is allowable, with or without white. Their coats can be solid color, stripes, spots or patches of white, black, blue, red, cream, chocolate, lilac, cinnamon, seal brown or mixed colors. Their eyes can be any solid color, with some exhibiting heterochromia.
• • •

The concept here is lackluster. There's just not enough oomph or pizzazz or charm to carry a Sunday-sized puzzle. The title seems like a shrug—an obvious, corny pun with no real cleverness to it. Sometimes simple themes can yield funny results, but today's just yields ... results. Virtually all the puzzle's difficulty is in those themers, primarily because they are so preposterous, but without any of the enjoyable zaniness that sometimes comes with preposterousness. Plus, some of the theme clues and answers just seemed off. The worst, for me, was the clue on PLIANT GENIUSES (118A: Ones with flexible minds and bodies?). Nothing about this clue suggests "genius." Nothing.  Flexibility and genius are not the same. They are not. They aren't. A genius might have a flexible mind (whatever that means), but so might anybody. I had PL(I)ANT and then no idea what was supposed to follow. Because the clue was bad. Boo to that clue, for sure. As far as the answers themselves go, WIRY SIMILE was the one that stood out as a bit of a clunker because—unlike every other theme answer—the base term ("wry smile") already has an "I" in it. So instead of the two "I"s you get in every other theme answer, you end up with three. A three-ayed monster. Not a fatal flaw, but an inelegance, nonetheless. But again, the bigger problem today is that there's just not enough zing overall. The "I"-added answers just don't shine the way they ought to.


The real stars of this grid are the long Downs, particularly "RHAPSODY IN BLUE" (49D: Gershwin composition that opens with a famous clarinet glissando). I think STAG PARTIES and PUBLIC RADIO are also lovely, solid entries. I'm more neutral on SEE WHAT HAPPENS, mainly because it's a verb phrase that really could use ... context? More? "LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS," maybe? Or maybe it would be better clued as a kind of exasperated "what did I tell you?" type of expression. "See!? SEE WHAT HAPPENS!? He just sits there! I call his name, I whistle, but nothing. He just sits there. Oh why did I ever get a ragamuffin cat!? They're so standoffish, cool, and eremitic! Yes, I'm reading from a thesaurus, that's how sad I am, boo hoo! Well, I've had it. I'm gonna give Mr. Floofberry here to the CAT CAFE. Maybe he'll be happier there. Boo hoo." Etc. Annnnyway, those four long Downs were the highlight of the puzzle for me. The rest of it didn't seem to have much to offer.

[4D: Supergroup that performed at Woodstock, familiarly

Speaking of "OFFER," that is what I had at first for 107D: Put forward (OPINE), which is part of what made that SE corner the toughest section by far (still not properly tough, but tougher, for sure). OPTIMA as an actual word (as opposed to a bygone Kia model), that was also trouble (114A: Most favorable conditions). You'd say "optimal conditions" ... you just would. If you said OPTIMA, you would be asked to repeat yourself, at which point you'd probably revert to speaking like a normal person, if only to save time. I don't think of the SUN BELT as a meaningful place. As a place at all. I am aware that it is a place of some geographical meaning and coherence, but if you ask me the place that's [Home to eight of the 10 fastest-growing cities in the U.S.], I'm gonna look for a state, probably. I don't mind the clue as is, just explaining why it added to my problems down there in the SE corner. Lastly, there was BUTTON UP, which is an expression I just wouldn't use (89D: Complete in a tidy manner). PUT A BOW ON IT, maybe. SEW UP, possibly. But not BUTTON UP. I had the -UT and was quite sure it must be PUT-something, so I tried PUT TO BED. That's kinda sorta in the ballpark of the [Complete in a tidy manner], right? Idiomatically? PUT TO BED: "to successfully deal with something or solve a problem." I'd call that ballparkish. But wrong. It's BUTTON UP. Again, not an idiom in my idiom ... bag? Canister? Quiver? Wherever one keeps idioms.


Bullets:
  • 8D: Hwy. that includes a Lake Michigan ferry crossing (U.S. TEN) — this highway doesn't seem nearly major enough to be puzzle-worthy. I thought the answer referred to the interstate, but no, that highway is major and transcontinental (also, further south), whereas this highway is just a stretch of road through Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. I lived in Michigan for eight years and I go to Minnesota regularly and I'm not sure I've ever been on it (?):
  • 9D: Virtual animal companion (NEOPET) — Are these still things? Feels so turn-of-the-century. 
  • 53D: Comparatively low (AS SAD) — woof, the cure is worse than the disease here. I am happy that you decided not to include a murdering tyrant in the puzzle (ASSAD), but I think maybe the real solution isn't so much a different clue as never including these particular letters in this particular order. AS SAD is about as clunky an answer as they come.
  • 44D: Latin name for ancient Troy (ILIUM) — probably most familiar to English speakers from Doctor Faustus: "Is this the face that launched a thousand ships, / And burned the topless towers of Illium?" I guess he spelled it with two "L"s, but it's the same place. I wrote in ILION, which would've been correct, if the clue had said "Greek name ..."
  • 31A: Players who straddle two positions, in hoops lingo (TWEENERS) — oof. I guess this is recent lingo? I used to be a big "hoops" fan in my youth and this term is unknown to me. 
  • 46A: Yodel alternatives (HO-HOS) — Yodels are snack cakes. I haven't thought about them since roughly 1983.
  • 46A: Two for an opinion (CENTS) — I like that inflation has truly made the average opinion nearly worthless. Social media confirms this valuation daily.
  • 72A: Ending of many designer dog breed names (POO) — about as good a clue as you're going to get for POO. The least shitty. The "POO" here is short for "poodle," I think. Most of your poodle crossbreeds are "doodles," but some of them are POOs, who can say why? Here's a Westiepoo:
  • 103A: "Mulan" adversaries (HUNS) — I wrote in HANS. Like ... HAN Chinese. I haven't seen  Mulan since the mid-90s when it came out.
  • 18D: Menu items that McDonald's no longer offers in America, as of 2020 (SALADS) — man, COVID was more powerful than I thought. It killed SALADS. RIP, SALADS.
  • 96D: No ___ May (pollinator-friendly movement) — if you're lucky, you live in a neighborhood where your neighbors don't call Code on you for participating in this "movement.". My neighbors won't call Code, but they *will* loudly complain from their neatly mown backyards, for sure.
  • 62A: High style? (UPDO) — yes, I see the three (3) "UP"s in this grid (UPDO, BUTTON UP, TEEUP). That's right at, but not over, my "UP" limit. Innocuous two-letter words get a pass, especially if they aren't crossing one another.

Two more things: One, the Boswords Fall Themeless League is starting up again, with their first puzzle dropping next Monday, Oct. 7. Here's coordinator John Lieb with the deets:
Registration for the Boswords 2024 Fall Themeless League is open! This 10-week event starts with a Preseason puzzle on Monday, September 30 and features weekly themeless puzzles -- clued at three levels of difficulty -- from an all-star roster of constructors and are edited by Brad Wilber. To register, to solve a practice puzzle, to view the constructor line-up, and to learn more, go to www.boswords.org
Also, congrats Richard Lichtenstein, Sandy Levine, and Seymour Gurion, who were the lucky winners of last week's Spy School: Entrance Exam book giveaway. And thanks to everyone who entered. I have yet to respond to all of your lovely notes, but I will ... :)


See you next time,

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]

83 comments:

Conrad 5:02 AM  


Easy, I think. As often happens in the fall, I solved while watching football on TV. I don't recall any major stumbles and only one overwrite: Ionia before ILIUM at 44D. Oh, and one WOE, TWEENERS as a basketball term at 31A. Other than that, smooth sailing.

Son Volt 6:48 AM  

I always liked Joe’s constructor pic with that thing on his head - and most of his work. This one was nondescript - tend to agree with the big guy that the theme is not substantial enough for the big grid.

RAG Mama RAG

Well filled throughout with limited glue. The long downs do shine as do EGRETS, SERRANO and BUTTON UP.

Shake SENORA

HAULAGE is rough and ANAPEST will be obscure to most. Fact check - I’ve never been to a PANERA. PSYOP - ASSES - TUMULT and DOOMERS are all apt descriptors for the current election cycle.

Big picture vanilla - but pleasant enough Sunday morning solve.

The Perfect KISS

Colin 6:51 AM  

I predicted Rex's comments and overall feel about this puzzle, and have to agree. (Still, I enjoyed this relatively easy puzzle, because I pretty much enjoy all these puzzles!) PLIANTGENIUSES was also meh because "plant genuses" isn't really a phrase, is it? At least, not like "corner store," "trade deals," "steamer clams," "tax bases," and "water meter."

Never heard of "No MOW May." Didn't take note that McD's no longer offers SALADS -- wow, so much for their wee attempt at a healthy option. Always (amazed? puzzled? disappointed?) to see such common answers appearing repeatedly: POL; AER Lingus; REBA; EDAM; ARIA; MIATA. OTOH, I learned about ANAPEST and HAULAGE; enjoyed CATCAFE, EPIPEN, HYENA, and POMELO; and agreed the long down answers were welcome.

Rex, the SUNBELT is absolutely a valid region. Right there with the Northeast, Southeast, Pacific Northwest, Bible Belt, Corn Belt, Tornado Alley, etc.

Iris 7:11 AM  

Dull-witted puzzle. And “button up” isn’t about neatness but completion. Buttoning up a contract or an itinerary. All details stipulated.

Mark 7:15 AM  

I was irked by 106D. Lumens or lux, not watts, are "light units." Because incandescent bulbs ruled the consumer market for so long, there's a legacy of describing, say, a 13-watt LED bulb as "75 watt equivalent." But even for incandescent bulbs, watts aren't a reliable measure of light output -- more a frame of reference. Oh well.

EasyEd 7:54 AM  

Thought this was quite a feat of construction with some fun long downs, but the themers seemed kinda forced and not all that much fun to discover. Did have a wide range of references though, from ancient ILIUM to modern
HOHOS.

SouthsideJohnny 8:05 AM  

The non-thematic portion of the puzzle was straightforward enough to make progress through the usual handful of items that I had never heard of (ADASTRA, ANAPEST, ILIUM for example).

I agree with OFL that the theme was just too much effort for too little payoff. You really do need to get a chuckle, a WRY SMILE, or at least an “aha moment” as a payoff when you parse together the theme entries - and that is sorely lacking today. Jeez, by the time I got to WAITER METIER and PLIANT GENIUSES my brain had given up and I was just sleep-walking through the motions (a classic case of theme-fatigue). But, at the end of the day, I’ll take a straightforward theme that misses the mark as opposed to a cryptic gimmick theme accompanied by an overly strained junk-filled grid any day. So I’ll put this one in the success column.

dash riprock 8:09 AM  

This comment seemed to portend 64a. Wangled into puffing a blunt age 9 with the big kid down the block, my pop found out and threw my mattress out the front door, onto the walk. "You're moving out!" (I stood my ground by passing the night in the woods, waiting for them to come lookin for me.) That bit aside, never dabbled in any o' that. Amen to you for workin through it, KennyMitts.

53d, awkward. Tilted me head 10 to 6 to make scrutable. Check, but still awkward.

I bet someone's gonna axe about 30a, [Small sq], so, a preemptive.. ONE's the square o' ONE, runt of 1, 4, 9, 16, et cetera, et cetrah.

Also, NEOPET.. whaa t.?

Also, 16d, shhhhitHAPPENS, fit. anyone else, same page ?

Tide won. So all is well in Ripville..

Toodle pip.

Anonymous 8:21 AM  

Glad to see Rhapsody in blue in there – this is the 100th anniversary of its premier!

Anonymous 8:31 AM  

Tweener has been a basketball (and football) term for years.

Ride the Reading 8:44 AM  

With Conrad on mixing puzzling and watching football - Illinois at Penn State in this case. Found this puzzle somewhat more difficult than recent Sundays - but maybe the game played a a part.

I spent five or 10 minutes trying to fix two problems after I had "finished" - typo in the NW (easy enough to spot), and just not seeing the answer at 95A. Had Dow instead of MOW at 96D. Seemed plausible to me.

Agreed with Mark above on watts being a measure of power consumption, rather than of light output.

Anonymous 8:46 AM  

Blech.

Anonymous 8:52 AM  

This was not a fun puzzle for me. The theme answers were painful and not enjoyable. Natick at CSNY/ADASTRA. I got waitermetier with crosses but this makes zero sense to me and seems very obscure. I never watched Mulan, I don't know the Albanian flag, and I'm a little behind on memorizing Gershwin compositions, so that sw corner killed me. Overall just too much stuff outside my wheelhouse.

RooMonster 9:17 AM  

Hey All !
Opposite feelings for me from OFL, I thought it was clever. The funniest one to me was WIRY SIMILE made from WRY SMILE. Extra I, who cares? The bottom two were toughies to figure out. Thankfully, able to suss out (eventually, took some time) the surrounding fill to see them. METIER not in my list of known words. I have heard it before, but pressed to tell you what it meant, I could not.

Maybe I liked it because I figured out what the deal was after getting my first Themer, which was TIRADEIDEALS. Said, "Ha, adding I's to phrases!" And away I went.

The one that grates a bit is STEAMER CLAM. I guess a real thing/phrase? If somehow could've been STEAMED CLAM ... But nowhere to insert an I in that.

Pretty good fill surrounding all those extra I's. I'm a pessimist, but wouldn't classify myself as a DOOMER. Maybe a GLOOMER ...I wouldn't identify myself as a PLIANT GENIUS, on either part! Although ... (Shameless self promotion to follow ...)

You can grab a copy of the Sci-fi time travel book I wrote called Changing Times. Available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.com. Search for Darrin Vail. 😁

Anyway, #humblebrag aside, had a good time figuring out the puz.

Happy Sunday!

Four F's
RooMonster
DarrinV

Walt 9:24 AM  

Not fun or all that enjoyable, no aha with a smile moments, did Bill W really advocate LSD? Ragamuffin was always a slightly disheveled child to me, Watts no, lumens yes

DeeJay 9:32 AM  

I entered FLORIDA for SUNBELT and shuddered.

Thank goodness I was mistaken.

Anonymous 9:41 AM  

As an evolutionary biologist, I find plant genuses even more egregious. The plural of genus is genera…

David P 9:57 AM  

DNF due to ANAPEST crossing PSYOP...

egsforbreakfast 10:21 AM  

Twenty years ago, I could still haul ass. Now I just HAULAGE.

JD Vance seems to be both a liar ANAPEST.

Super group mini theme: CSNY and KISS?

Believe me, I made a real splash when I showed up at the pool with an UPDO in my SPEEDO.

I thought this was cute and fun. Thanks, Joe Deeney.

Carola 10:34 AM  

I thought CORNIER STORIES offered hope of a feast of witty entries, but for me only "steamer clam" -->STEAMIER CLAIM rose to the occasion. Otherwise my reaction ranged from pfft to OOF (PLIANT GENIUSES). Great long Downs, though.

Dudley Nightshade 10:36 AM  

Rather have the murderous tyrant in the puzzle than the clunky AS SAD. Evil people exist. Keeping them out of crossword puzzles will not change this.

PH 10:48 AM  

Lewis hasn't posted since last Thursday. He usually announces when he takes a few days off, but not this time. Hope he's okay....

Fun puzzle. Congrats on Cycle #2, Joe!

Teedmn 10:52 AM  

This played hard for me. I was solving randomly and I spent a lot of time fruitlessly jumping from blank answer to blank answer. I got an inkling of the theme when I got CORNIER filled in but that didn't lead to the rest of the phrase. I knew Rex wouldn't find the theme answers wacky enough because I didn't either and I'm usually more tolerant of CORNIER STORIES than he is.

I always forget the IONIAN sea and today the aegeAN tried to take its place for most of my solve. That little section was my last to fill - for some reason I didn't notice that 47A was a theme answer. And I've never seen a Yodel although I've eaten my share of snack cakes so I was thinking ecHOS as a yodel alternative. Lots of ways to go wrong in that sector.

Thanks, Joe Deeney!

Anonymous 10:58 AM  

Boring. And it's SCRIPS, not scripts.

Anonymous 11:10 AM  

Though I did get really stuck in the SE, I did manage to fight my way out word by word. I agree with SouthsideJohnny and RooMonster... All in all this puzzle was ok and workable, and I suspect had a mercifully low "gunk gauge" but we'll have to wait for Gary's official count to confirm that.

thefogman 11:16 AM  

Sorry. But to me having three I’s in WIRYSIMILE is a fatal flaw. I finished on those squares and could not put in a third I since every other themer only had two. Upon realizing that there was no other option I completed feeling ripped off and mad. Boo! When is Will Shortz coming back.

Anonymous 11:28 AM  

I have to send a little love out to TAXI BIASES. My favorite wacky answer.

andrew 11:32 AM  

Welp, this got me looking up USTEN since it goes through my hometown Minneapolis and I’ve never heard of it. Used to go all the way to Seattle (the Rain Belt) as well as the Grain Belt but now ends in North Dakota. You don’t go far from Fargo!

Far more interesting (and longer) is I-10 from Santa Monica to Jacksonville. Local names include the Sonny Bono Freeway in Palm Springs and the George Wallace (!) Tunnel in Alabama. (At least they dropped Christopher Columbus in Santa Monica!)

Ok, enough Cliff Calvin meets Rand(rew) McNally road trivia - got football to watch (go Vikes!). Puzzle was fun - but beating the Pack would make this SUNDAY FUNDAY!

jae 11:33 AM  

Easy-medium. My most costly erasure was afrO before UPDO.

HAULAGE elicited a wince.

3 Is in WIRY SIMILE elicited a side eye.

Pretty solid with some nice long downs but I too agree with @Rex. Kinda liked it but “ lackluster” is an apt description of this one.

Nancy 11:35 AM  

While they weren't sidesplittingly funny, I thought the theme answers were well conceived and interesting. What made the puzzle enjoyable for me was the fact that I needed many of the themers to figure out the surrounding fill. It wasn't that the words were hard but the clues were vague. I had trouble figuring out BUTTON UP from "Complete in a tidy manner" even when I had BUTT; same with TEE UP from the clue "Prepare". Which made figuring out the theme answers more of a necessity than sometimes is true in this type of puzzle.

It's pouring out and the puzzle was diverting. And that's plenty good enough for me.

BlueStater 11:37 AM  

Dreadful.

Beezer 11:47 AM  

Very enjoyable Sunday puzzle and fairly easy with crosses, except I spent about half my puzzle time in the area bordered by WIRYSIMILE/WHALE before PSYOP and the W in WHALE finally cracked it for me. And here I was…so proud to have plunked in RHAPSODYINBLUE which is my favorite Gershwin piece that I will now have playing in my head all day.

I guess I will never understand why it bothers some people that WIRYSIMILES has three “i’s” instead of two. Please know I’m not saying this “snarkily,” I just really don’t get it.

Tom T 11:50 AM  

As a former resident of Louisiana, I was delighted to find a 5-letter Hidden Diagonal Word (HDW) from my time there. Here's a clue for it:

_________ Tigers (signature cheer from LSU fans)

Apparently the sun was coming in from the NE when Mr. Deeney was building this puzzle, because Director Johnson (113A), RIAN has a Hidden Diagonal shadow RIAN beginning with the R and moving to the SW.

I'm with Rex on TWEENERS--I've played basketball and watched as a fan over many decades and don't remember hearing that term.

Always nice to see Jane AUSTEN in a puzzle--oh, wait, it's her alter-ego June USTEN (8D)

Answer to Hidden Diagonal Word clue: GEAUX (a football cheer with a Cajun wrinkle)

The English Avocado 11:56 AM  

Rex just didn't get the joke. He always wants the crossword to cohere, and is uncomfortable with the messiness that accompanies absurdist humor.

Nancy 12:21 PM  

You are never snarky, @Beezer. And the extra "I" doesn't bother me in the least either.

jb129 12:25 PM  

I surprised myself & I really liked it. More Medium than Easy but doable & certainly an enjoyable Sunday. Except for NO MOW MAY. And it was nice to see RHAPSODY IN BLUE in the same puzzle as CSNY - talk about a generation gap.
Thanks, Joe :)

pabloinnh 12:26 PM  

Busy busy remodeling two (2) bathrooms today. (Why do we do that silly number thing followed by a number thing anyway?) Did this in between steps in the process and thought it was pretty clever.

Hadn't thought about ANAPESTs since freshman English and have always called a TWEENER a "swingman", but otherwise no real problems.

Thought this was an above-average Sunday, JD. A Jim Dandy outing, and thanks for all the fun.

Now back to work.

Anonymous 12:40 PM  

So many plurals! Too many plurals?

Hack mechanic 12:53 PM  

Correct, watts are a measure of power consumed by the light, lumens a measure of the light emitted thereby.

Anonymous 12:55 PM  

I think Lewis lives in Asheville, NC which got clobbered by Helene and still largely without power. Hopefully he is doing okay and waiting to get back online. Prayers to all those affected.

Anonymous 12:59 PM  

I don’t like to come off too harsh. Constructing a Sunday puzzle has to be super tough, and getting it published in the NYT is a great accomplishment.

This one just wasn’t for me. The themers made no sense as stand alones, and I am shocked that Rex didn’t go into that extra I in Wiry Similes harder. That even bugged me, and I’m not a crossword critic.

Darren Matthews 12:59 PM  

DNF. I would've tied my record streak on the app today, but I left 21A as breadco. IYKYK

RAD2626 1:00 PM  

Clever construction. Mixed feelings about the themes. Disagree with Rex about SEE WHAT HAPPENS. Clue suited the answer perfectly as written. Agree with Rex about AS SAD. Perhaps a clue like Equally forlorn would have made it work better. For me about normal solve time due to several themes being tough to fill off a few letters.

Anonymous 1:03 PM  

Many people under 40 will know "Let's get down to business! To defeat... the HUNS" (the iconic first line in the best song in Mulan) no matter how long it's been since they've seen the movie ;)

Nancy 1:05 PM  

I only hope he evacuated in time!!!!!! I just caught up with yesterday's NYT to see that Asheville, N.C. was at the epicenter of Hurricane Helene and the storm was described as "of Biblical proportions." No power, roads blocked or submerged -- well, if you can access the NYT, here's the article.

I sure hope he and his family are OK!!!!!! I'll email him now, but I'm not optimistic about a response...

Tarheel 1:12 PM  

Lewis lives in Asheville, where Helene knocked out the power and the cell service. We can only hope he stayed out of the actual floods.

Terra Schaller 1:12 PM  

Praying all my crossword puzzles stay okay

SharonAK 1:18 PM  

@egsfor.. Always enjoy your humor. The first line today had me literally LOL (There's a lot of that going around among my friends and I) loved the anapest all.
Listening to Rhapsody in Blue while I type this. Thank you Rex for linking it.
I liked the themes. Would have enjoyed them more if they word aurally as well as visually. Still thought they were fn.
As a devoted gardener who is not a genius I was not bothered by the non-latin genuses and found it very much a phrase. Though I suppose the rest were stronger.
I was bothered by the 3rd i in the wiry simile line.
Although I minored in English over 60 years ago I did not remember anapest. Barely recognized it when it appeared. Never saw, or heard of the film Adastra but saw it recently in a puzzle., or somewhere with the translation. So that went in easily.
Never heard of "NoMow" Had the w from kiwis and couldn't imagine what the word could be. How is not mowing supposed to help pollinators?

Anonymous 2:11 PM  

Did CSNY play at Woodstock? Wasn't it just CSN at that point?

Bob Mills 2:16 PM  

I liked the puzzle more than Rex Parker did (which isn't surprising). It was a slog for a while, then I caught on to the letter-I trick and was able to finish it. I still don't know what an EPIPEN is (life saving?). Can someone help there?

burtonkd 2:21 PM  

My family lives down the mountain and report that there is a line of cars around the store who drove down from that area to buy generators. Several semis apparently are selling them directly from the parking lot.

burtonkd 2:23 PM  

I didn’t figure out the theme until the end. On my way to figuring it out, I thought there was some kind of joke: PLIANTGENIUS, as opposed to a stableGENIUS.

Anonymous 2:43 PM  

US 10 is the Hwy you’ve probably driven over any number of times when you were going someplace else.

Anonymous 2:44 PM  

Speaking of ANAPEST, I learned it in freshman English class in high school, as I assume most of us did. Who were lucky enough to be educated before they started spending English class doing MCAS test prep. There was a rhyme:
Iambic goes from short to long,
Trochee sings a different song
Dactyl goes dancing as light as a feather
Anapest ............
I cannot for the life of me remember how that fourth line ended. Anybody else?

M and A 3:03 PM  

yep, I reckon this mighta played better as a weekday puz -- then they coulda disappeared that extra-I WIRYSIMILE themer. And plus the puztheme wasn't quite humorous enough to pass SunPuz muster, at our house.
But ... the theme mcguffin did have a certain PAINACHE to it...

staff weeject pick, of a mere 33 choices: NIX. Cuz it had a huh?-ney of a {Scrub} clue.

Lotsa nice fillins, includin: PUBLICRADIO. RHAPSODYINBLUE. SEEWHATHAPPENS. TUMULT.

Oh, man. M&A had even more trouble rememberin the IONIAN Sea than @Teedmn darlin did. Had the lead I, and still couldn't get it. I blame the puztheme, which had m&e trained to ignore them I's.

Thanx, Mr. Deeney dude. It at least made m&e SMLE.

Masked & Anonymo12Us


**gruntz**

pabloinnh 3:06 PM  

Join others in hoping Lewis is OK. Our old and dear friends had a place on the Gulf Coast of FL which was damaged in the last hurricane but is now totally gone. Just not there. Unbelievable.

ChrisS 3:44 PM  

Rex, if you ever went to Traverse City from AA you were likely on US-10 for part of the ride. Also is there any other flavor nog besides egg, 79A? And spellchecker insists on changing nog to a real word.

travis 4:08 PM  

No comments on METIER? This is a word everyone but me is familiar with? Even looking up the definition I'm not sure I get it.

Greater Fall River Committee for Peace & Justice 4:10 PM  

I haven't seen anybody explaining 'no-mow May. The simple goal is to allow flowering plants to grow, which provides food and shelter for pollinators like bees and butterflies. But I guess the ultimate goal is to get rid of most lawns entirely. I have, in my little yard, garden, and I have meadow. I have been doing the meadow carefully for long enough that in the spring and much of the summer it is full of blooming flowers, it is really quite gorgeous, my neighbors have gotten used to it. I have written (well, largely plagiarized) an essay for my cookout-attendees, so let me go on at some length:

Grass is the single largest irrigated agricultural “crop” in America, more than corn, wheat, and fruit orchards combined.

Lawnmowers suck up gas and pollute the air: Every year, U.S. homeowners spill some 17 million gallons of gas while filling up mowers. We use tens of millions of pounds of chemical fertilizer and pesticides on our lawns.

Americans spend more than $36 billion every year on lawn care, four-and-a-half times more than the annual budget of the Environmental Protection Agency.

A lawn filled with native plants provides habitat for animals, from insects to birds and everything in between. A lawn that’s used to produce food could feed your family and boost neighborhood-level community. When you run the numbers, you find that almost anything is better than a grass lawn — except pavement.

Americans invest roughly $60 billion a year in the turfgrass industry, including lawn care products and engaging lawn care companies. Besides being overly expensive, lawns are incredibly time-consuming. Americans spend more than three million hours per year pushing or riding lawnmowers. It has been estimated that the average American mows their lawn 22 times per year. Hour-for-hour, gasoline powered lawn mowers produce 11 times as much pollution as a new car. Each gas-powered lawn mower produces as much air pollution as 43 new automobiles driven 12,000 miles per year – lawn care produces 13 billion pounds of toxic pollutants per year.

Lawn fertilizers are used much too extravagantly. It is estimated that Americans use ten times more fertilizer on lawns per acre than they do on food crops. Americans use 90 million pounds of fertilizer on their lawns every year.

For every ton of fertilizers manufactured, two tons of carbon dioxide are produced.

Most conventional fertilizers are produced using ammonia, which is extracted from natural gas, and two-thirds of natural gas is obtained by fracking. Therefore, lawns also contribute to all of the environmental damages, including water pollution, caused by fracking.

Besides the manufacturing of fertilizer leading to climate change, the actual use of fertilizer also contributes to climate change. Standard lawns emit about 5 or 6 times more CO2 than what is absorbed during photosynthesis. Nitrous oxide emissions from fertilizers lead to an estimated total equivalent of about 25 million tons of CO2 each year in the US. If clippings were left to decompose on lawns, the US could store up to 16,700,000 tons of carbon each year in the soil.

Today, American lawns occupy some 30-40 million acres of land. Lawnmowers to maintain them account for some 5 percent of the nation’s air pollution. This needs to stop.

Anonymous 4:10 PM  

Paula from Seattle

Paula From Seattle 4:16 PM  

Slow but made it through. Thank you Rex for the great short videos. CSN&Y with Tom Jones - Loved it. Bob Newhart was one of the comic greats. And Leonard Bernstein playing Gershwin was amazing.

Greater Fall River Committee for Peace & Justice 4:20 PM  

While I'm on a roll, let me try to repost what I posted earlier, that didn't make the cut. I think it went through as anonymous, which the new software keeps switching me to.
I learned the rhyme in 9th grade,
Iambic goes from short to long
Trochee sings a different song
Dactyl goes dancing as light as a feather
Anapest blah blah blah [weather?]

Does anybody remember what the last line was? It has been missing in my brain for 40 years or so.

Anonymous 5:49 PM  

An Epipen is used to stop dangerous allergic reactions with a dose of epinephrine.

Sailor 6:37 PM  

US-10 is a major cross-state route in MN, WI and MI. It's hard to travel any great distance in any of those three states without encountering it (whether you noticed doing so or not). And the Lake Michigan crossing on the historic SS Badger is a trip well worth taking!

Eniale 6:50 PM  

I don't know your rhyme, but we learned a poem by Robert Browning called "How They Brought the Good News from Aix to Ghent" and it went:
I sprang to the stirrup and Boris and He,
I galloped, He galloped, we galloped all three..."
And that's how I always know how an anapest scans.

Anonymous 7:02 PM  

I’m surprised that there was no mention of “opinion” being in a clue while OPINE was an answer.

Beezer 7:46 PM  

@SharonAK, it depends on your lawn NOT just being Kentucky blue grass…or just grass. It’s great if you have clover or allow “ugly” blooming “weeds” in your lawn.

TimG 7:57 PM  

When I get the last square filled in and get the message, “The puzzle is filled, but at least one square is amiss…” I have to think, is it worth going back and finding my mistake? This was a tough slog for me, for way too little payoff in terms of the punniness. This one was most definitely NOT worth spending any more time on the solve. Sorry, not even one of the “jokes” landed IMO.

Made in Japan 8:07 PM  

It's easy to see how you could miss USTEN even if you live in Minneapolis. Like most US highways, most sections have been replaced by interstates. In the Twin Cities alone, parts of US-10 have been overlaid by I-35W, I-694, I-35E, and I-94. Though it goes through St Paul, it has never gone through Minneapolis, just its northern suburbs. Living just north of St Paul, I drive on it frequently.

Anonymous 9:12 PM  

Anybody else wondering whether Z is under water? Looks like Black Mountain took it hard.


Anonymous 9:51 PM  

Also Neil Young was not yet a part of Crosby Stills and Nash at the time of the trio’s debut at Woodstock, so the answer should have been simply CS&N

Gary Jugert 10:15 PM  

¿Ves lo que pasa?

Those theme phrases were brutal for me, but lots of non-theme answers sparkled, so I'm happy. And it's funny. I am posting late because they are having a pagan Festival in the Park next to where I'm staying and then we spent the day driving through the Badlands of New Mexico on something called The Turquoise Trail looking through artist studios.

❤️ CAT CAFÉ. They got me good on [Yodel alternatives].

Propers: 5
Places: 4
Products: 14
Partials: 8
Foreignisms: 1
--
Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 32 of 136 (24%)

Funnyisms: 12 😅

Tee-Hee: Aw POO, I do not think the NYTXW editorial team knows what TWEENERS are. ASSES. SPEEDOS. ASS AD. Sheesk.

Uniclues:

1 Fess up to why the silo is overflowing.
2 Amp up the swim party.
3 Why the wedding is postponed.

1 UNSEAL CORNIER STORIES (~)
2 FEEL NYLON SPEEDO (-SSS)
3 STAG PARTIES FREE WIFI (~)

My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Time period between "I'll try a sip," and waking up in an alley in Toledo with no pants and a bowling ball. MOONSHINE SPELL.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mmorgan 10:28 PM  

I eat steamers (LOTS of them), and steamed clams (ditto), but not steamer clams. But still, having clams in a puzzle is always a pleasure to me. And people do say BUTTON UP. I think I’ll go eat some steamers now.

dash riprock 10:41 PM  

"...why it bothers some people that WIRYSIMILES has three “i’s” instead of two."

Eh.. ditto. Post sussing the relevant, did a doub-read, then moved on. Bettah wordplay over heel-clicking, a no-brainer.

Often forget to read the title come Sunday, today no exception, so parsed on the fly.

Lax perspective of the roolz assisted resolution, e.g., of lopsided rebus, 2024-09-19, during which a number of fellow-solver heads reportedly imploded.

Everyone has his, her peeves.. to pet. Mine, the often flagrant...

extraneous / gratuitous..

inconsistent..

...use of the "?".

Or its absence.

More jibba + jabba on that grave subject, mayhap, as occasion arises.

Anonymous 10:50 PM  

CSNY didn't perform at Woodstock. CSN performed.

dash riprock 10:54 PM  

American Green: The Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Lawn - Ted Steinberg, engrossing (assuming interest in subject), light read. Able writer, right up your alley. Recommended.

But apparent issue with your post - it's someone else's hand, massive, verbatim cut-and-pastes of concatenated sections of at least two articles without attribution.

Easily more off-putting than any pissant perceived crossword irregularities, copying someone's work free of citation:

"Lawnmowers suck up gas and pollute the air..."

"Americans invest roughly $60 billion a year in the turfgrass industry..."


Postscript: on re-reading, I see you wrote in the opening paragraph, "I have written (well, largely plagiarized) an essay for my cookout-attendees..." but that doesn't do it. Those are two contradictory, non-reconcilable phrases, "I have written..." / "...largely plagiarized...". In fact, 80 to 90% of that screed appears to be lifted. The copied passages require citation, namely: (1) authors' names; (2) all passages copied enclosed in quotes or italicized, preferably both; (3) dates of original publication, and either (4) sources of publication, or (5) direct links to the published pieces.

RooMonster 11:01 PM  

@travis 4:08
I commented on it! I'm not sure it's meaning either.

RooMonster Thinks He Knows Stuff Guy

Anonymous 11:33 PM  

It's a crossword blog, not a letter to Congress

Ken Freeland 11:58 PM  

,👍

Anonymous 5:39 AM  

Also a gender term.

Anonymous 9:43 AM  

Never mind that the plural of genus is genera, not genuses. Latin lives today!

Anonymous 1:56 PM  

I WISH public radio 21D was MORE popular as a news source, less Faux News, SkewsMax, etc. Just sayin' (sane;-)

Anonymous 7:01 PM  

Young definitely was there and shared billing on the posters.

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP