Fermented Russian drink / SUN 9-1-24 / Jazz Trombonist Dickenson / Surfer's hand sign / Source of a sleep-inducing narcotic in the "Odyssey" / Magazine with "Maison" and "Enfants" spinoffs / Lentil-based stew from India / Long-lasting lip makeup / Ecosystem formed by polyps / de rire dying of laughter in French / Starchy side, familiarly

Sunday, September 1, 2024

Constructor: Chandi Deitmer and Matthew Stock

Relative difficulty: Easy


THEME: "Product Integration" — shaded squares (three sets of 2x2 squares) contain numbers. Adjacent numbers must be multiplied in order for their answers to make sense. Each set of shaded boxes makes a kind of TIMES (get it!?) SQUARE (131A: Midtown Manhattan hot spot ... or each of this puzzle's three shaded regions):

Theme answers:
  • PAC 3x4 (i.e. PAC-12) (37A: West Coast N.C.A.A. conference that lost 10 teams in 2024)
  • SWEET 4x4 (i.e. Sweet 16) (3D: Coming-of-age celebration)
  • 7x4 DAYS (i.e. 28 days) (44A: Typical length of February)
  • 3x7 GUN SALUTE (i.e. 21-gun salute) (38D: Military honor with fired artillery)
  • CLOUD 3x3 (i.e. Cloud 9) (76A: Location of elation, in an idiom)
  • FRESHMAN 5x3 (i.e. Freshman 15) (22D: Weight gained at the start of college, informally)
  • 5x8 WINKS (i.e. 40 winks) (71A: Short nap)
  • 8x3-HOUR GYMS (i.e. 24-hour gyms) (72D: Always-open workout spots)
  • HANG 5x2 (i.e. hang 10) (99A: Surfing move with all of one's toes off the board)
  • FANTASTIC 2x2 (i.e. Fantastic 4) (50D: Squad with the Invisible Woman and the Thing)
  • 4x2-BIT (i.e. 8-bit) (106A: Like old Nintendo consoles)
  • 5x4 PENCE (i.e. 20 pence) (100D: One-fifth of a British pound)
Word of the Day: KVASS (69A: Fermented Russian drink) —

Kvass is a fermented cereal-based low-alcoholic beverage of cloudy appearance and sweet-sour taste.

Kvass originates from northeastern Europe, where grain production was considered insufficient for beer to become a daily drink. The first written mention of kvass is found in Primary Chronicle, describing the celebration of Vladimir the Great's baptism in 988. In the traditional method, kvass is made from a mash obtained from rye bread or rye flour and malt soaked in hot water, fermented for about 12 hours with the help of sugar and bread yeast or baker's yeast at room temperature. In industrial methods, kvass is produced from wort concentrate combined with various grain mixtures. It is a popular drink in Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Moldova, as well as some parts of Finland, Sweden, and China. (wikipedia)

• • •

This probably seemed like an interesting concept on paper, but in practice, it's over before it begins. It's a one-note theme stretched over a Sunday-sized grid. Once you grasp the theme (not hard), the themers are all instantly gettable. You gotta spend a few seconds figuring out what numbers are going to be used to arrive at the product, but basically you can do all the themers with no help from crosses. I know because that's what I did:


And that's it. Once you know numbers are involved, it's over. Except for the revealer, which is clever, but if I hadn't had to finish this puzzle (because it's my job), I don't think I would have. Once the theme stuff is all done, there's not much left. An ordinary Sunday-sized grid. Ho-hum. If the theme had put up any kind of fight, then I might have noticed the quality and texture and flavor of those theme answers, many of which would've made fine answers in a regular crossword. FRESHMAN FIFTEEN (15!), for instance, would be perfect as a grid-spanning answer in a regular Friday or Saturday puzzle. But today, it was just one of the number answers, interesting only because it's involved in a "TIMES SQUARE." There's no trick, no gimmick, no wordplay. Just children's math. What's more, some of the theme answers seem pretty weak or contrived. 28 DAYS? 20 PENCE!?!?! An arbitrary amount of money? That seems flimsy. I'm sure it was tough getting all these number-containing answers to work out (symmetrically!). The grid is architecturally impressive. Congrats on that. But from a solver standpoint, this felt underwhelming. You don't have to be a solving genius to have this all figured out almost immediately. And then you're just sweeping up—not a lot of fun in that.


What remains, after the theme stuff, is a halfway decent themeless puzzle. In a way, the whole puzzle is themeless, in that there's nothing but the multiplication gimmick giving any unity to the themers. I didn't see much of note in the non-thematic parts of the grid—nothing that seemed particularly original or interesting or challenging or infuriating. I enjoyed seeing MARIE CLAIRE (19A: Magazine with "Maison" and "Enfants" spinoffs) and "IS IT TRUE?" and FAKE NAILS, but then you've got wobbly things like STAR PITCHERS (really wanted to add "-ting" to STAR) (125A: Aces), and boring things like FINANCIAL AID and awkward things like DELEGATEE, plus your usual host of ASDOIs and APSOs and RSSs and UGGs (again!) and SOOTY (again!?) (actually SOOTY > yesterday's SOOTS, for sure). YENNED is kind of awful, since of course you want YEARNED (a word people actually use) there (68D: Longed (for)). But I can't say any other answer in this puzzle made much of an impression, good or bad. I did not know SAMBAR (12A: Lentil-based stew from 42-Down [INDIA]) and am only vaguely familiar with lip STAIN as a beauty product (60A: Long-lasting lip makeup), but that's about it in the "new-to-me" category. Oh, and VIC (5D: Jazz Trombonist Dickenson). I'd never heard of VIC Dickenson, but I'm really glad to make his acquaintance—his music sounds great.


Went to see Blink Twice yesterday (fascinating, funny, and deeply disturbing—the only movie I've ever seen with a trigger warning (re: sexual violence)). Every time I go to the movies, I take a little notebook with me and write down all the basic data: date, showtime, theater, theater no., concessions I ate (usu popcorn/butter/salt and that's it), how many other people are there, what they look like, anything memorable they do/say, and finally, the trailers. What trailers did I see? I'm telling you all this because yesterday I saw a trailer for a new Christmas movie featuring some very beloved actors. The movie is called Red One, and it stars Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and ubiquitous, Oscar-winning character actor J.K. SIMMONS in the title role: you see, Red One is code name for ... Santa Claus. And he's been kidnapped. By ... well, bad guys, I assume, and his security team (led by Johnson) has to rescue him. It's a tongue-in-cheek action film that has a lot of fancy computer animation and looks expensive as hell [just looked it up, and yep: the budget is a 1/4 billion]. Annnnyway, I solved this puzzle only a few hours after I saw the Red One trailer, so J.K. SIMMONS was fresh on my mind. I always forget the initials of two-initial people (see, notably, N.C. Wyeth), but I had the "JK" before I ever even looked at the clue today. Worried (briefly) that it was gonna be another, much worse "JK," but it wasn't. You wanna see the Red One trailer, don't you? OK, fine.


A few more things:
  • 43A: Newark alternative, in brief (LGA) — LaGuardia Airport, of course. This would've been way more exciting—and tougher, for sure—if the clue had just been [EWR alternative]. Concise. No need for writing out "Newark" and adding "in brief." Airport code for airport code. Let's tighten things up a bit. Come on. My way's more elegant, and solvers can handle it. 
  • 93A: Source of a sleep-inducing narcotic in the "Odyssey" (LOTUS TREE) — currently teaching Virgil's Aeneid, so the Odyssey (the most important antecedent and model for Virgil) is fresh on my mind. If you wanna know what I'm teaching next, and I know you do: it's DANTE (56A: Writer whose work is hell to get through?)
  • 18D: Surfer's hand sign (SHAKA) — this puzzle is weirdly into surfing (see also HANG 5x2). I know SHAKA exclusively from crosswords. I'm more of a Chaka guy, myself:
[this needle drop in Blink Twice is, let's say, memorable]
  • 41D: Hilton ___, Pulitzer-winning critic for The New Yorker (ALS) — a great writer who should be the preferred clue for ALS. So much better than [Gore and Pacino, for two] or the like. He wrote a book on Prince! The New Yorker recently did an Archive Issue where it printed exclusively articles and reviews and cartoons from previous years, and there's a 1999 piece in there by ALS about Richard Pryor (and Lily Tomlin) that is mesmerizing. Very much worth your time (as all of his writing is, I assume)
  • 62D: Wake-up times, for short (AMS) — leaving aside that it's not a great plural, one tiny thing. Like, very tiny. Nitpicky, even, but it would've bugged me if this had been my puzzle: I wouldn't put "times" in the clue since it is (crucially) in the grid—not just in the grid, but in the revealer, i.e. the most important part of the grid. I know, I know, no one noticed, no one cared. But when I edited a puzzle recently, a certain test-solver (who is also an accomplished constructor) caught a similar dupe. Her (very nice) note: "truly doesn't bother me at all, especially bc contexts are so different, just noting in case!" But even though she said it didn't bother her, and I kept telling myself it didn't bother me, I definitely got up in the middle of the night one night and fixed it. Once I see the dupe, I can't unsee it, it's gotta go. The point is: test-solvers are vital to the health of puzzles. So thank you to ... whoever that test-solver was (wink!).
  • 92D: Lynne Cheney portrayer in 2018's "Vice" (AMY ADAMS) — I like this energy. Go deep into that filmography! Make me work for these famous people. My reaction to uncovering AMY ADAMS here was "Wow, really?" Almost makes me want to watch a movie about the Cheneys.
  • 109D: Starchy side, familiarly (TOTS) — as in "tater" (small children: not that starchy, it turns out)
  • 127D: Suffix with doomer or consumer (-ISM) — kinda tough. Not sure I've heard "doomerism," though I can guess what it means. I wanted -IST here for a bit (completely unsurprising). 
  • 108D: Exclamation after misunderstanding some Gen Z slang, say ("I'M OLD") — first, I think this would be more "Weary admission" than "Exclamation." Second, I really (really) thought that the answer was going to be a reaction to some specific bit of Gen Z slang. That is, I thought I had to figure out what the slang was, and then figure out what you'd exclaim if you misunderstood it. That is, I thought the exclamation was something you made before you realized you'd misunderstood. Like if someone said "no cap!" and you exclaimed "but my head is cold!" Something like that.
See you next time.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]

99 comments:

Conrad 5:47 AM  


Grrrr!! Lost my (admittedly modest) streak to an arithmetic error :(

Michael S. 6:00 AM  

“And then you're just sweeping up—not a lot of fun in that.” Well said! And truly my feeling about 98% of the Sunday puzzles.

Colin 6:04 AM  

I had thought "well, you just put in the number"... until very quickly, you realized 1) this did not work; and 2) what are those little x's in each 2x2 mini-grid?
Hung up for a spell in the northeast corner (SAMBAR--ARI cross: Tempted to write SAMBAL, and have LED lights for Christmas, but I SAMBAL is more Malaysian than Indian) and _O_USTR_A held us up. I had ONTHERAG initially, but of course, this does not mean "often." I had Wisteria or similar on the mind...
My wife does not think having numbers in puzzle grids is proper.
For 21A ("Save money on one's city commute, say"), I do this all the time... I WALK! Cab fares in NYC are exorbitant nowadays.

Anonymous 6:12 AM  

Had a real problem/flaw in the HANG10 number containing answer section because I had HANG 10 x 1 and 2 x 4 BIT below (across). The math also works for the down clues (10 x 2 PENCE and FANTASTIC 1 x 4), but the puzzle wouldn't show as complete. Had to come here to figure out what was going on. Too much indeterminate math for a crossword puzzle.

Anonymous 6:13 AM  

Also had SAMBAL instead of SAMBAR for a while. I agree with your wife -- down with numbers!

Wanderlust 6:33 AM  

I did this the opposite way Rex did, so perhaps more enjoyable. I never saw the title or solving tip since you have to actively look for them on the app. And the little x’s were so tiny on my phone that I didn’t know what they were.

I got pretty quickly that numerals went into the shaded spaces, but not that multiplication was required. I confidently put in 16 after SWEET. But the 1 didn’t work for the second numeral after PAC and the 6 didn’t work for the second numeral after DAYS. So I gave up on that, solved everything in the puzzle except the shaded squares, then looked at the title and the solving tip, saw that I needed to multiply numbers four times for each TIMES SQUARE and puzzled out the numbers.

The first square was easy, the second was gettable, but the third … FAIL! That’s the problem with this puzzle - if you don’t know the numbers for two crossing answers, you’re screwed. And I know nothing about Nintendo consoles or how many pence are in a pound. (Yes, I had a DUH moment afterwards realizing 100 pence in a pound makes sense, but only after I came here to find out what number went in that space.)

Also, the Thing is in the Fantastic Four? I grew up watching that cartoon and I could swear it was Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. So I thought maybe there’s a bigger Fantastic group that includes more superheroes, kinda like there’s a G7 and then a bigger G20 for countries. So I was also not confident of the digits 2 and 2. OK, so I looked it up and the Fantastic Four is not at all what I thought it was. Who the hell are those superheroes? Then I thought the four that I was thinking of are the Justice League, but there are seven in that, so wrong there too. Wasn’t there a cartoon in the 70s with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman? I do hate superhero movies, so my befuddlement is no surprise. I love the supe parody series “The Boys,” though. Almost all the superheroes are venal egotists who fake their “saves” and do far more harm than good. Great satire about entertainment, consumerism and Trump-era brainwashing.

So anyway - liked it pretty well except for that one square.

Lewis 7:10 AM  

This theme is not only fun, but impressive. Chandi and Matthew had to come up with six pairs of common phrases involving numbers, each pair being of the same letter count, for symmetry. On top of that, the numbers had to work across and down.

Just getting that far, IMO, is wow-worthy. But then they added a stellar revealer in TIMES SQUARE, not to mention an uber-witty title in “Product Integration”.

Props, props, props, you two, on all that!

Scanning the filled-in grid, I kept running into serendipitous rhymes:
EMEND / YENNED
TIMES SQUARE / MARIE CLAIRE
HAILS / WAILS / FAKE NAILS
NYU / LGBTQ
BOTTOM UP / TO GO CUP
IS IT TRUE / ESPNU
LOTUS TREE / DELEGATEE / UNITY
FINANCIAL AID / SUEDE

Speaking of serendipity, it was sweet to see SHOW up, and a side STEP, and to run into J.K. Simmons.

Altogether a most enjoyable outing. Thank you greatly, Chandi and Matthew, for making this -- bravo!

Rick Sacra 7:20 AM  

Wow, this was WAY harder for me than for REX. I struggled mightily. Even though I saw the little "x" signs in the squares, I didn't fully grok the theme until the 2nd time through those squares. Also the entire NE was a big Natick for me--had no idea about SAMBAR and HANIF and ARI, so I had way too many unknowns up there. Definitely a DNF for me. But I thought it was a pretty cool puzzle nonetheless-thanks for the clever Thursday-style Sunday, Chandi and Matthew!

Lobster11 7:24 AM  

No, no, no. No. Just no.

mom 7:45 AM  

TURNT? Is that really a thing?

Benbini 7:53 AM  

I've always wondered what it would be like the NYT Crosswords included digits, and now I know: it's kind of... fun? I certainly wouldn't want the Crossword to evolve into some sort of Sudoku-adjacent mishmash of words and numbers, but I didn't mind having to kick in math brain even just a little to sort things out.

Too bad I didn't like some of the fill: not having seen a recent movie starring JKSIMMONS, I thought AWARE/JRSIMMONS was just fine until I checked the grid, and ISITTRUE strikes me as a weirdly flat equivalent for "Are you for real?"

Anonymous 7:54 AM  

Also had SAMBAL before SAMBAR. One is a stew the other an awesomely spicy condiment.

SouthsideJohnny 7:58 AM  

Most of the cluing seemed Wednesday-level easy (and the theme stuff was also pretty much just read it and fill it in, save for the digits). The tragic flaw for me was not knowing AMY ADAMS, ROREM, APSO and ISM - and unfortunately YES MOM could probably be a hundred different things - so as is frequently the case, I struggled with the PPP and the Latin stuff.

Interesting to stand back and admire the construction, but kind of a snoozer to solve (plus I pretty much abhor PPP/foreign phrase DNF’s, but that ship sailed a long time ago, now I just put up with them).

Fun_CFO 8:03 AM  

Got the theme early, but like all puzzles with shaded squares, circles, pinwheels, magnets or whatever, I’ll ignore til the end (or until forced to tackle just to proceed). By ignore, I guess I really mean “even though I know the answer cold, I’m not figuring out how the app wants me to enter it, or what other trick is in play, until I’ve done everything else”. Save for later is my motto.

So, that’s what I did. And that’s really all I have to say about this one.

Anonymous 8:14 AM  

Gimmicky, annoying, and WAY too many names. I count 11 of them. DELEGATEE is hideous. A tortilla isn't a wrap. It's a part of a wrap.

Son Volt 8:16 AM  

A bleary Sunday morning letdown from two wonderful constructors - I don’t see how this made the cut. The central block should have contained 0 x 0 x 0 x 0.

Scruffy the Cat

Andy Freude 8:18 AM  

Hung up with a silly typo that took forever to track down: the G in EGOT/LGA. Crossing abbreviations, grr.

Anonymous 8:26 AM  

Agree. Agree. Agree. No. No. No.

mmorgan 8:26 AM  

Usually (okay, often?) an architecturally clever puzzle doesn’t translate into a pleasant solve, but this one did for me, despite it being pretty easy. It was fun figuring out how to arrange the numbers, and the rest of the puzzle had some some quite good stuff. Way better than the usual Sunday slog.

Yes, the Hilton Als piece on Richard Pryor (and Lily Tomlin) is terrific and I recommend watching the “Juke and Opal” segment he describes.

Anonymous 8:33 AM  

Super Friends is the cartoon you’re thinking of.

pabloinnh 8:39 AM  

I got the TIMESSQUARE answer early and was looking for SQUARES, CLOUD33 had one and the others didn't and I couldn't see the times (x) sign on my print out so didn't know multiplication was involved and the rest of the puzzle was full of stuff I didn't know like SAMBAR and RSS and the Nintendo console and HANIF and the numbers are too small and this took forever.

In short, not my favorite Sunday ever, even though I finished it correctly, except for most of the numbers.

Impressive construction, CD and MS , but I Could've Done Multiple Sundays and had more fun than I did with this one. Thanks for the feeling of relief when I finally filled in my last answer, TIGER for "Bucko", concerning which, really?

superariman 8:42 AM  

I'm surprised no link to Meet James Ensor!

andrew 8:44 AM  

When I got JKSIMMONS, thought “I wonder if Rex will stretch and contort to include a gratuitous JK Rowling shot” - especially after LGBTQ - and he did not disappoint!

I hate all things Cheney but Christian Bale was amazing as Vice. Bring your movie notebook (?) and record all the other people (??) and see it sometime!

This puzzle was far from easily gettable that made me appreciate Autocheck all the more. Clever construction! Just my 1x2¢…

Bill 8:55 AM  

Easy, but don’t really come to the crossword for simple math problems. I don’t get why the focus is on cute gimmicks at the expense of good puzzles.

Anonymous 9:19 AM  

Agree with Rex on the arbitrariness of 20
PENCE, and 28 DAYS could have been clued as the Sandra Bullock movie for more specificity. Otherwise liked it more than he did.

Anonymous 9:20 AM  

I thought this was effing stupid.

Matthew B 9:25 AM  

Though it was relatively simple... and I start at the bottom, on paper, so I had the revealer early... It was great fun. I loved the number conceit... And most of the fill was fine.

Amy 9:35 AM  

Rex, be kind to us mortals and don’t make us feel stupid if it took a long time to get it. If you don’t know one (or more) of the numbers in the answers it makes it much harder. I would not call this easy, and I filled out everything but the numbers before I went back to figure them out (I hoped). Still ended average but wow, not easy like Rex found it.

Amy 9:36 AM  

Also I am going to try to make Sambar. Can’t believe I have never heard of it. Looks yum!

RooMonster 9:47 AM  

Hey All !
Welp, never did figure out how to enter the math thingies. I went with straight number sequence, ala 28 DAYS, PAC 12, knowing something was amiss, seeing as how a 12 GUNSALUTE isn't a thing. It Did work on SWEET 2x8, however. Further exacerbating the situation, is that the lower TIMES SQUARE seemingly worked as is. HANG10, 24BIT, FANTASTIC04, 12PENCE. Apparently not knowing it was 20 PENCE and 8 BIT was a detriment.

After no Happy Music, I reluctantly let my 36 day streak come to an end. Hit Check Puzzle, it crossed out all the numbers, plus the incorrect A I had at KVASa/RSa. Didn't have the gumption to try to figure out the Maths, so came here for a Rexafication. (Rex edification, not the best portmanteau. 😁) Saw how it was supposed to work, and saw the incorrect A I had was supposed to be an S. I had E in there also for a bit. Between KVASS today, and SUZE YesterPuz, I realize I don't know my foreign drinks. Dang.

Good puz, but over the head here for early morning math. Just now saw the note, I don't think it was needed. One should be easily able to know numbers would go in, although not how it works properly. (Caveat for me!) If you're going to add a note, it should have said something to the effect that "Shaded squares need to mathematically multiply correctly", or some such (again, trying to cover my gaff!)

Anyway, good puz, huzzah to those who figured it out, neat idea, good construction. Rex bemoans only 3 groups of "Themers", but technically there are 12 Themers, plus a Revealer. Add them up. Har!

Happy Sunday!

Seven F's (Nice!)
RooMonster
DarrinV

Dr.A 9:58 AM  

Agreed

Blue Stater 10:00 AM  

An utterly worthless waste of time. If you don't get the convoluted gimmick, you have no hope of solving the puzzle. Any gimmick (and I hate them all) should have a workaround.

Anonymous 10:02 AM  

I'm one that decided not to finish and just look at your writeup. this is a step forward in my feeling obligated to finish a NYT times Sunday puzzle....the word play has completely disappeared in the marquee day.

Nancy 10:03 AM  

I knew it was going to be a math-y puzzle, so when I saw the word INTEGRATION in the title, I panicked. Was I going to have to do some sort of Calculus-y kind of calculation or some sort of Trig-y kind of calculation that I barely remembered from all those years ago?

Happily, no! The key word in the title is PRODUCT -- and that means multiplication. I can still do that after all those years -- and so can you!

And if you know the PRODUCTS you're looking for, the times squares are easy. The first two were very easy -- though I had to change SHAKe to SHAKA (whatever that is) to get a PAC something-or-other rather than a PeC something-or-other.

But oh that third one! HANG TEN was easy, but I had no idea how many PENCE = 1/5 of a British pound. Nor did I have any idea how many BITS were in old Nintendo consoles -- whatever they were. So I guessed five pence and two bits -- giving me:
5/2
1/2
in those four squares.

Which was wrong, of course. But since it's not a math-y mistake, I won't worry my pretty little head about it. And I'm sure @Mathgent won't be unhappy with me either.

Flybal 10:06 AM  

I hate Sudoku

Joe R. 10:15 AM  

The note that shows in the NYTXW app says that each square is to be filled with a digit, so having to rebus in 10 wouldn’t work. I hated this note for ruining the theme, but it does address your problem.

Anonymous 10:19 AM  

Yes, mom, all the kids are saying it. *rolls eyes*

Joe R. 10:21 AM  

The NYTXW app completely ruins the puzzle by including a note telling you that digits have to go into the shaded squares. Why not let us figure that out ourselves? More of the dumbing down of the puzzle that Rex complains about. I should know better by now than to look at the title or note with a puzzle, but I’ve been stung before by not reading notes that made sure I had updated the app.

And I’m not sure if I’m happy or disappointed that the puzzle missed the opportunity for a repeat clue with ARI and RAHM. If they could’ve found a way to fit in Zeke, they could’ve had a triple clue for the brothers Emanuel.

Burghman 10:27 AM  

Ditto on that SAMBAl / lED Natick - only mistake for me :(

Anonymous 10:30 AM  

Of all the potentially offensive things that are included in these puzzles…SCAB might be the worst. Completely tone deaf to use a word like SCAB as if it’s a legitimate word. I can think of other similarly derisive words that definitely wouldn’t make the cut. Without spelling them out, can you think of any words that will immediately get you canceled even if someone thinks they heard you say them?

That’s what SCAB sounds like to the people who work themselves to the bone for 40 years to keep their families fed.

Anonymous 10:31 AM  

Am I the only one who doesn’t see any little x’s n the NYT crossword app?

egsforbreakfast 10:36 AM  

Judging by their frequent appearances lately, an ORNURSE in UGGs must feel gr(2 x 4).

I like that you can read the numbers without multiplying, since the PAC 12 has now become the PAC 2, while their members have joined the Big 34 Conference.

I always shout BOTTOMUP before drinking my KVASS alone.

If not for the anti-vaxxers (hi, RFK, Jr.!) we could be saying TBALL gone.

Saving money on your commute could be a mini theme with SHAREACAB and ONFOOT.

Wonderful concept, but I agree with @Rex that the completely transparent cluing on the themers made it a bit of a bore. Anyway, nice try, Chandi Deitmer and Matthew Stock.

Beezer 10:40 AM  

I thought this was a pretty good Sunday puzzle but like @Nancy my downfall was the third square. I just would not give up the (non-fact) that the first Nintendo was 64 bits and while I figured the PENCE didn’t involve 8 or 32 I still wouldn’t let go of 64BITS. Yes…such a sad story.

I’ll have to Google but I THINK “The Thing” in the Fantastic Four was the burly guy made of stone who was quite the intellectual and very nice. His name might have been Ben?

Anonymous 10:52 AM  

I do crosswords because I HATE MATH !!! ERGO I HATED THIS ! nailed the whole puzzle and enjoyed it even had the correct numbers but NOOOO…they wanted more ! No thank you.

Joe from Lethbridge 11:05 AM  

0 stars from me-I think that this puzzle absolutely stinks. It's time to kiss this subscription bye-bye.

Anonymous 11:16 AM  

I’ll take “Things a SCAB would say” for $1000, Alex? Get lost, troll. Signed, a Union member 💪

Anonymous 11:19 AM  

Exactly. No fun for this former math teacher.

Anonymous 11:24 AM  

My math degree didn't help me with the unrecalled number of FANTASTICs, the unknown number of PENCE or how many BITs. I guessed 16 BITs, so 4x4. I did know HANG 10, which had to be 5x2 or 2x4. Either way, my movie ended up with many more FANTASTICs in its squad.

Matt B 11:27 AM  

Good bounceback puzzle for people like me who were savaged by yesterday’s hard cluing. Hope I never see YENNED again in this lifetime.

Anonymous 11:37 AM  

So you’re a SCAB?

Anonymous 11:45 AM  

20 PENCE isn't an arbitrary answer when considering the British monetary system. It's an actual coin, the closest unit they have to our quarter. Their coins are 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, and 50p.

Ken Freeland 11:55 AM  

DISINTEGRATED PRODUCT would be a much more fitting title for this puzzle. It's just another of those People Magazine puzzles that somehow sneaks into the NYT. I nearly threw it away because of the NE corner, and I kinda wish I had. Why should I be expected to know the name of a French language women's magazine? And on top of that (literally) sime obscure Indian dish. And with PPP crossings like ARI and HANIF... just gobbledegook.

The SW corner wasn't much better. Like Rex I preferred iST to ISM as a suffix, and since I don't know Ned ROREM from Adam, I simply built around it, assuming APSu was a variant of APSO (more foreignism, and I hope Gary counts it as such) giving me "YES but" for the eye-rolling assent... As someone else wrote, this answer could have been anything. A dreadful puzzle, to say the least!

jb129 12:03 PM  

I know these are 2 seasoned professionals. I'm sorry to say that I didn't like this puzzle - I'm sure a lot of work went into it but I don't do the xword to have to do math too.
Very disappointing :(

jb129 12:04 PM  

AND ... lost my streak.
It was just too annoying

Anonymous 12:05 PM  

I liked this puzzle. For those complaining about the math in this puzzle, technically, it's arithmetic,

Anonymous 12:10 PM  

They did specify (in the “About this puzzle” note on the app) that each shaded square be filled in by “a numerical digit,” which precludes the two digits of 10, but I also hesitated over that possibility, so I empathize.

Anonymous 12:13 PM  

Isn’t the Sunday generally considered to be Wednesday-level clue difficulty, but in a bigger grid?

Wanderlust 12:18 PM  

Yes! Thank you!

Anonymous 12:26 PM  

The “Hang Pence” thing at 99 Across and 100 Down felt very… odd.

Anonymous 12:29 PM  

I didn't take it as offensive or derisive. It's literally the term for someone who crosses a picket line. Not difficult, and not something to whine about. Unless you're a SCAB, I guess.

Sinfonian 12:31 PM  

Agreed! Yesterday was so rough, so painful (especially for someone like me, battling COVID that canceled my family vacation), that today was a relative breath of fresh air. I rather enjoyed it.

Wanderlust 12:32 PM  

Re the “pence” issue that messed up a few of us (me, @Nancy, @Beezer, at least), there’s a great story in the NYT today about why we just can’t seem to do away with the penny even though (almost) everyone hates them, virtually no one uses them, and we lose a ton of money making them. We have to keep producing them at a huge loss because the people who still use cash get them as change but never spend them, so stores need to keep getting more from banks. Lots of fun facts such as the weight of all the pennies sitting in jars on our dressers. And how Canada got rid of the coins but not the value. (If you buy with credit or an app, you can still be charged $21.43 or whatever, but if you pay with cash it’s rounded up or down. Brilliant, Canada! We, of course, are far too dysfunctional to ever do that.

Anonymous 12:32 PM  

You've never heard of a Lhasa APSO? They're very sweet dogs; my aunt always had them.

Anonymous 12:39 PM  

There’s been a US version of Marie Claire for 30 years

SouthsideJohnny 12:56 PM  

I know Will has been quoted in the past indicating that they shoot for Thursday-level difficulty on Sunday. Today seemed a touch on the easy side, except for that Black Hole that I mentioned in the SW.

M and A 1:18 PM  

Different -- which I like -- but maybe a little too dry a puztheme for generatin enough 22x22 SunPuz solvequest fun.
Was a nice theme construction effort, tho. And the logic involved in arrivin at the correct numeric product factors within each block was somewhat engagin. Woulda been neat, built as a WedPuz or ThursPuz in size, IM&AO.

staff weeject pick, from a mere 36 choices: SCI & ARI. Part of the no-know crossfire along with HANIF & MARIECLAIRE. M&A was unable to complete the NW, thanx to all them folks.

Only a Z short of a pangrammer. Did have 40WINKS, as a Zs stand-in, at least.

Thanx for gangin up on us, Ms. Deltmer darlin & Mr. Stock dude. Product-ive idea.

Masked & Anonymo9Us


**gruntz**

sharon's 1:23 PM  

Thank you Rex for the trombone jazz recording (already forgot his name but the music was great)
I'm with Ken Freehand re the Marie Claire and sambar clues. And a few others seemed too obscure. I had a lot of trouble with the arithmetic. Have always been a bit inumerate.

I absolutely needed the help from the note to get what the little exes meant. Why would anyone grouch about such a note?

Just don't read it if you are so extraordinary brilliant that your puzzle experience is ruined by such "help".

thefogman 1:23 PM  

Not too crazy about the theme. I don’t like it when numbers invade a crossword. But I did like the tougher-than-usual challenge for a Sunday.

Anonymous 1:31 PM  

i do not want math in my word puzzles.

Anonymous 1:32 PM  

Hated it. The theme was interesting but lost in the huge Sunday grid. And soooo many “first name of person I never heard of” clues. And I for one am sick of the AMEND/EMEND ambiguity of English, especially when it crosses SEAP/SEEP here. So many potential Naticks in this puzzle it’s not even funny.

Tina 1:50 PM  

Same here. I enjoy crosswords for the wordplay, not the gimmicks.

Anonymous 1:51 PM  

The answer today that “ 54 Pence is one-fifth of a pound” seems wrong to me! Can you help?

Anonymous 2:13 PM  

Came for a crossword, found a numbers puzzle. Meh.

Georgia 2:28 PM  

Centered on the middle line of the top 2 and bottom 2 cells of each shaded box.

Anonymous 2:41 PM  

Skipped trying to make sense of the squares the first time around and found it rather easy. What’s the difference between Cloud 9 and Cloud 33?!!

Anonymous 2:51 PM  

Bucko?

Anonymous 3:33 PM  

It would have been more fun for me if I had followed the numerical directions—I read them then forgot them. Each numerical square has four answers, so I just plunked in the right numbers. So in the middle one, I had the numbers 15, 40, 9, and 21. Thought that part was pretty random, but it was my fault.

Steve 4:35 PM  

Grrr. Lost a fairly good stream to (what I think is) crossing Americana. Had “Shake” rather than “Shaka” and no idea what “PAC12” is.
As a non-American I’m usually OK at US general knowledge and when there are sports or native tribe clues they usually get solved in the crosses.
Not this time 😔

Smith 4:54 PM  

@Wanderlust early this AM

Yes to The Boys! But it made 61D *uncomfortable*; not sure I'll ever hear that term again without cringing...


Anonymous 5:07 PM  

DNF. If wanted to do a number puzzle I’d do sudoku.

Anonymous 5:11 PM  

Thanks. Maybe I need to upgrade my app

jae 5:54 PM  

Easy-medium except for filling in the numbers. There were no Xs in the shaded squares on my iPad app so it wasn’t clear to me what I needed to do. The Times Square clue had me looking for squares (hi @pabloinnh). I finally got it sorted out with a wee bit of cheating, but I was not a fan of this one.

Anonymous 6:38 PM  

Mom
Turnt
As noted, it is a thing.
I learned it from a previous puzzle

dgd 6:46 PM  

Pabloinnh
Tiger is often used sarcastically, and so is bucko. And in similar situations. It worked for me

Made in Japan 8:03 PM  

I had the same error as RooMonster, and crossed KVASa with RSa. I think this is getting into Natick territory. In hindsight, RSS looks a lot better, but I would imagine most of us just know it from crossword puzzles, and few would be able to tell you what it stands for.

Nancy 10:00 PM  

SEAP???????

Anonymous 8:52 AM  

It's the product of the numbers. 5x4=20 Thus, 20 pence is 1/5 of a pound (100 pence). Another way to think of it (using dollars) is $.20 is 1/5 of $1.00

Ben 10:56 AM  

Surprised to see Rex not call out the near-dupe of ERR and ERS... sloppy.

Anonymous 4:37 PM  

Pretty easy for me. On objection at 19 across. Wintertime traction aid. Who uses one snow tire?

kitshef 5:48 PM  

Well, I thought it was a lot of fun, just the right difficulty for a Sunday.

Anonymous 6:22 AM  

fun puzzle, good job Chandi and Matthew. I didn't like Yenned though, sounds fake

spacecraft 12:19 PM  

Completely fooled by this one. First: My paper version had no "little x's" in the shaded areas. Even with the note, I had trouble making sense of things. Checked down for the revealer clue and found it: "Oh no, not again! A puzzle for native New Yorkers only!" In my defense, I would never think of an entire square as a "hot spot;" that to me is a single business ON the square. Bad wording. So I was, however unjustly, disgusted already. Then the first thing I saw to write in was EKE. That did it. DNBTF.

Wordle par.

rondo 12:36 PM  

Did about the top third. Then DNBTF. No title, hence no idea what the numbers were or could be.
Wordle par.

Burma Shave 1:12 PM  

FRESHMAN DAYS

"ISITTRUE you are LIT?"
"IT's SKYY, BOTTOMs UP!
Have A TASTER, ORNURSE IT
from A RED TOGOCUP."

--- STAN SIMMONS

From yesterday:

IN A PICKLE (PANIC PROBLEM)

"YOU want TO MAKE REALTIME?
ACHE TO SNAG and NAIL A man?
IN A SNAP, GO IN prime?"
"YIKES! C'MON, YOUBETICAN!"

--- ANITA BONDS

Anonymous 5:19 PM  

3rd grade math and people are complaining. And to the snow tire kvetcher: I only need one on my unicycle in the winter. 🤗

rondo 9:33 PM  

I'm not complaining. In my paper there was no title for this puz and no indication what to do with the gray squares and the squares in my paper are TINY. Even the printing of the Word Scramble was screwed up and almost unreadable. Doing this puz would not have been enjoyable. And I can compute parabolic vertical and spiral horizontal curvature. By hand.

Anonymous 11:37 AM  

I solve typically solve on paper, so I'm not sure if this would have been a problem or not, but I got a different (yet still correct) answer for the bottom-right of the three 'Times Squares'.

The "correct" answer was (not sure if the formatting will carry through):
5 2
4 2

However, I filled in:
10 1
2 4
This still gives Hang 10, 20 pence, Fantastic Four, and eight bit.

Did NYT app accept this answer, or consider it wrong? If that had been my only "mistake" I would never have caught it!

Anonymous 12:09 PM  

The original comment I'm replying to hasn't been posted yet, but assuming it is, here is an update. I went to the app, and entered everything in. I filled in my 10, 1, 2, 4 answer and it would not accept it. However, I then read the Note carefully (which I hadn't done when solving or before posting my original comment), and it does say that the shaded areas should be filled with "a numerical digit" and 10 is two numerical digits. So although the equation I came up with thinking it was just 'fill in numbers' doesn't technically meet the requirement of the note that all numbers must be single-digit numbers.

Anonymous 6:32 PM  

Numbers???!!!! Aaaaargh! Don't do this to us. There is a reason I am a crossWORD solver and never, ever do the Sudoku.

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP