Lassie's owner on old TV / THU 8-22-24 / Blue reef fish / Lover of Euridice, in opera / Young male lover, informally / 41, to 43 / Land that split from Zanzibar in 1861 / What doesn't look the best naked? / Tootsie treat? / Fitness fanatic, in slang / Stampeders in "The Lion King"

Thursday, August 22, 2024

Constructor: Brad Wiegmann 

Relative difficulty: Easy


THEME: Letter openers... — you have to read the first two letters of each theme clue aloud in order to get the first word of the answer; thus [MEDALS] is a word that starts with "ME-" and means "awards," so your answer is EMMY ("M" E") AWARDS:

Theme answers:
  • EMMY AWARDS (17A: MEDALSi.e. awards that starts "ME-")
  • GEOLOCATION (24A: GOBI DESERTi.e. a location that starts "GO-")
  • ESSAY QUESTION (36A: "SAY WHAT?")—i.e. a question that starts "SA-")
  • ANY OLD THING (48A: NEOLITH)—i.e. an old thing that starts "NE-")
  • "ARE YOU GAME?" (59A: RUMMY)—i.e. a game that starts "RU-")
Word of the Day: L'Orfeo (25D: Lover of Euridice, in opera = ORFEO) —
[note: there are at least five operas with ORFEO in the title; this is the first and most famous] L'Orfeo (SV 318) (Italian pronunciation: [lorˈfɛːo]), or La favola d'Orfeo [la ˈfaːvola dorˈfɛːo], is a late Renaissance/early Baroque favola in musica, or opera, by Claudio Monteverdi, with a libretto by Alessandro Striggio. It is based on the Greek legend of Orpheus, and tells the story of his descent to Hades and his fruitless attempt to bring his dead bride Eurydice back to the living world. It was written in 1607 for a court performance during the annual Carnival at Mantua. While Jacopo Peri's Dafne is generally recognised as the first work in the opera genre, and the earliest surviving opera is Peri's EuridiceL'Orfeo is the earliest that is still regularly performed. (wikipedia)
• • •

Well that theme was a lot easier to comprehend than it was to explain. I got it early and easily and then immediately went off to see if I could get every themer in the grid with no additional help. Here's where I picked up the theme...


And then here's me after I tried to get 'em all...


As you can see, I couldn't quite do it? The only GEO- word that would come to me was "GEOCACHING" and dear lord who could have foreseen that something as specific as [GOBI DESERT] would lead to something as hypervague as LOCATION? As for [RUMMY], I assumed that was slang for a drunk, and so wanted something like "ARE YOU HIGH?" (something I'm much more likely to say than "ARE YOU GAME?"—which most people would slangily shorten to "YOU GAME?" anyway...). So there were still theme things left to discover after the theme clicked, but not many. Got the gimmick and the puzzle opened right up, which meant that despite some toughish cluing here and there, this one played well on the Easy side. I like the theme just fine, though the only answer that seemed truly clever—the real winner of the day—was [NEOLITH]. Came close to a literal LOL while working that one, something about the professorial term "Neolith" being reduced to mere "OLD THING" seemed funny to me. The rest of the themers ... they do the job. The concept is lightly amusing, the execution is uneven but mostly solid. Too easy by far, without enough real thematic zing, but not bad, on the whole


One real tough spot for me: the NE. OK, not real tough, but toughish. Trouble started with GOT AT instead of GOT TO (22A: Irritated), and then two "?" clues, neither of which I could quite process. I know the term "naked eye," obviously, but my brain was like "Why would it look bad with your naked eye? or why would your eye look ... badly?" But the idea is just that there are things that simply can't be seen with the naked EYE, which means it's not the "best" at "looking" (at microbes, say). Then there was the ABBOT, who sits at the "Top of the order" ... of monks. It's a good "?" clue (9D: Top of the order?), with a surface meaning that screams "baseball" and then seemingly infinite potential other meanings (depending on how many meanings of either "top" or "order" you can imagine). In the end, it's pretty straightforward, actually, but once your (my) brain goes into "?"-clue, mode, it can be hard to emerge from the weeds. Then there was BOYTOY, which, again, I just couldn't come up with (11D: Young male lover, informally). I wanted something in the ROMEO / LOTHARIO family. BOYTOY implies a specific relationship to a partner, a somewhat demeaning and objectifying relationship, in a way that other words for mere "lover" do not, which is probably why BOYTOY didn't occur to me. I actually figured all this out without that much trouble, but compared to the rest of the grid, that NE corner seemed like work.


A couple things that grated. One was the cloying cutesy language. BOOTIE seems pretty neutral, but it started a baby-talk trend that just kept going, including referring to feet as "Tootsies" (5A: Tootsie treat? = PEDI) and finally (literally finally, the last thing I put in the grid) referring to one's rear end as both the cringey / dated [Buns] (in the clue), and the truly horrifically infantile PATOOT in the answer. Real nails/chalkboard stuff, and a hard way to go out. Otherwise, the only other problem I have with this grid is that it contains NEO when NEOLITH is such a prominent thematic component. That seems like very bad editing. Doesn't matter that you clue NEO some other, non-prefix way. Still seems like a jarring dupe, especially as NEO literally crosses the [NEOLITH] answer.


Some other things:
  • 19A: "Cheers" bartender Woody (BOYD) — Woody Harrelson (who played "Woody") and Ted Danson have a newish podcast called "Where Everybody Knows Your Name" where they just chat to famous people they know (Jane Fonda, Laura Dern, etc.) and talk about the good old days, and I find it soothing and charming. 
  • 7D: 41, to 43 (DAD) — gratuitous Bush content? That, I did not need. Why would you do this? Who requested this?
  • 14D: Blue reef fish (TANG) — want to say "never heard of it," but I'm pretty sure that's what I said the last time TANG appeared ... wait. No. This is the very first time (?!) TANG has been clued as a fish. Oh I feel better. I assumed it just went in my head one day and fell out the next, like so many things I "learn" from crosswords. Anyway, TANG are aquarium fish that look like this:
  • 62A: Land that split from Zanzibar in 1861 (OMAN) — truthfully, I had -M-N and saw "Land..." and just wrote in OMAN without reading further. Embarrassingly, I have no idea what "Zanzibar" is. I've heard the name, of course, but ... nah, I got nothing. Sounds mythical. Isn't there a candy bar named "Zanzibar"? No, I'm thinking of ABBA-ZABA ... or maybe a ZAGNUT. Anyway, lest I be called an incurious lout, here's what Zanzibar really is:
Zanzibar is an insular semi-autonomous region which united with Tanganyika in 1964 to form the United Republic of Tanzania. It is an archipelago in the Indian Ocean, 25–50 km (16–31 mi) off the coast of the African mainland, and consists of many small islands and two large ones: Unguja (the main island, referred to informally as Zanzibar) and Pemba Island. The capital is Zanzibar City, located on the island of Unguja. Its historic centre, Stone Town, is a World Heritage Site. (wikipedia)
  • 38D: Catchphrase for moviedom's "International Man of Mystery" ("OH, BEHAVE!") — you can tell the editors know the puzzle is too easy when they refuse to name "Austin Powers" in this clue.  So you kinda gotta solve two things: who has that moniker *and* what was his catchphrase? For me, neither one was an issue.
  • 50D: University of North Carolina team, to fans (HEELS) — short for "Tarheels"
  • 55A: Lassie's owner on old TV (TIMMY) — this feels like a pop culture thing that will get generationally evaporated very quickly. I never saw one episode of Lassie (more my parents' generation), but the idea that this wonder dog could essentially telepathically communicate with its owners, "telling" them where the danger was or whatever, was a standard joke when I was growing up. Your parents' pop culture is proximate. It's in your orbit. You "know" it even if you don't know it. But your grandparents' pop culture??? I dunno. I'm curious where the Lassie line is, age-wise. I mean, I assume people still recognize the name Lassie, but TIMMY? His "fame" seems like it might not be long for this world.
Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]

75 comments:

Conrad 6:13 AM  


On the Easy side of Easy-Medium, but I solved without reading the themer clues until I was done. Only overwrite was irAN before OMAN at 62A (I'm geographically challenged). Only hesitation was that I thought the Lion King stampeders at 53D had been hyenas, but it didn't fit (also Disney challenged). And TANG (14D) was a WOE as clued. I had EYE at 30A before I read the clue or that would have confused me.

Anonymous 6:23 AM  

I dive and snorkel and for no good reason I kept thinking Tuna and not tang after I had the t and a in place through crosses. No idea other than I guess I was having a senior moment that turned an otherwise fairly easy puzzle into kind of a messy solve.

Casimir 6:40 AM  

OFL is absolutely correct to despise cutesy, infantile talk in the puzzle IMO. Along with "texting speak," the worst trends in the NYT puzzle. Is anyone clamoring for either?!

Anonymous 7:15 AM  

Freddie Mercury was actually born in Zanzibar! There's a really cozy seaside bar in Stone Town, Mercury's Bar, with great food if anyone ever finds themselves there

Andy Freude 7:24 AM  

No hesitation for TIMMY, but for the life of me I could not come up with the last name of the bartender on Cheers. Remembering Charlie Brown’s friend FREIDA yesterday was easier. Which tell you just how old I am (very).

Sailed through this one counterclockwise, then was completely stuck in the NE for all the reasons Rex details. Very surprised at the end to be told I was slightly under my average time. That NE corner seemed to take eons. Saturday level for me.

And, just like yesterday, I’m still no fan of baby talk in puzzles.

Also, Monteverdi’s Orfeo still totally rocks. The biggest hit of 1607.

Fun_CFO 7:32 AM  

Easy Thursday. Agree on the baby-talk tone. Too much. PATOOT was where I finished as well. Blech!

This theme was ok, probably best of the week, which isn’t saying much. Let’s go themelesses - save the week.

Mothra 7:33 AM  

Anyone else start singing the theme to the Patty Duke Show? (“From Zanzibar to Barclay Square…”)

kitshef 7:41 AM  

Modern-day Tanzania is so-named because it is a union of TANganyika and ZANzibar.

HEH aside, I found this an enjoyable though easy Thursday. The themers were clever enough to be interesting.

Although as with yesterday, the theme does not seem 'tight'. There is no unifying theme, either among the letters (MEGOSANERU (anagram of ORANGE EMUS?)) or among the answers (awards, location, question, old thing, game). This does not bother me in a puzzle, but traditionally has been required by the NYTXW (and I have a lot of rejection emails to prove it).

Difficulty has been all over the map this week: very very very hard, very easy, hard, very very easy.

Lewis 7:43 AM  

Ah, a language quirk puzzle, which I love, and Brad is so good at pulling these out of the ether.

Let me remind you of his last two puzzles (spoiler alert if you haven’t done them):
• 6/19/24 – He finds “a + b” clues that perfectly match their answers. Such as: [Wait + see] for STOPWATCH, and [Hit + run] for SLAPDASH.
• 3/6/24 – Like today, he plays with alphabet letter sounds. Two of the theme answers: [Nicholson and Nicklaus, e.g.?] for ONE EYED JACKS (each has one "i"), and [Søren Kierkegaard and Chris Isaak, i.e.] for DOUBLE AGENTS (that is, double-a gents).

Wow!

Today, when I uncovered my first theme answer (EMMY AWARDS), my jaw actually dropped a bit at how marvelous it worked with its clue. I equally marveled at the other theme clues/answers.

When I marvel through a puzzle, it has more than done its job.

Another theme plus: freshness. Three of the theme answers are NYT debuts, and the other two have only appeared once in the Times puzzle. That’s a popping theme!

On top of that were lovely serendipities:
• Five palindromes (ABBA, EYE, HEH, GAG, DAD).
• Six four-letter semordnilaps (BOON, OGRE, TATS, GNUS, YARD, TANG).
• Speaking of which, a lovely Golden Age of Movies meld with ERROL (Flynn) and its semordnilap “Lorre”.

Keep ‘em coming, Brad, please. Your puzzles charm. Thank you for a splendid outing today!

EasyEd 7:44 AM  

I’m with @Andy, struggled through this one then found I had finished in just under my average time for a Thursday. Never got the theme ala @Rex, but recognized a relationship between the clues and answers so that I could fill in the blanks based on common phraseology. For me, the weirdest clue/answer was irritated/GOTTO. Can see an inference but seems a stretch. Thought same as @Rex that top of the order was a baseball reference and so started out with AtBaT…tough section.

Gary Jugert 7:44 AM  

Yesterday's silly puzzle sent way too many of you "I'm a very serious crossworder" types into a rage, so I'm betting this way-too-easy offering will further deepen your funk. The malodorous scent of tears perfumes the air with tragedy, and the moon's rosy hue cannot hope to lighten the dusky gloom of your burden. OH BEHAVE you SQUAT NORSEMEN for Maleska, like most of poor Yorick, lies in a box awaiting the rapture and isn't coming back to save your SANELY fetid soul.

At least it wasn't a damnable rebus, eh? GAG.

This naughty little NO-NO gem and its naked (tee-hee) EYE dropped right into my alley with its PATOOTIE, and its BOOTIE, (I know, it's the wrong kinda BOOTY, but either can warm my feet), and the GYM RAT BOY TOY flexing his IDYLlic ENIGMA (my 7th favorite word) while wearing a CAMISOLE in front of CATS, and GNUS, and all y'all HEELS. You're not a HEEL, I just added it because it's plural and you know the burden of parallel construction in threes means occasionally you get tossed casually under a bus all in service of aligning the stars.

Didn't you want to squeeze a tootsie ROLL between your PEDIcured tootsies? Didn't you want ABBA to be ABBA, not A-B-B-A? Still, I'm a sucker for SUS-ing out rhyme schemes. And it's nice to see the ERA-clue-editor pivoting from Taylor to Mrs. America like a lighthouse beacon scouring the raging seas for saline soaked sailors like us. I bet GENE gets tired of getting passed down the line.

Here's a pleasant reminder to NPR listeners: It's ICE TEA. And horses sometimes say NAY when they neigh.

In what universe do trolls look like OGRES? Can we agree we should rename anything named TANG that isn't an orange powder?

😫 41, to 43.

Propers: 6
Places: 3
Products: 0 (wait, what?)
Partials: 4
Foreignisms: 1
--
Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 14 of 74 (19%) Let's celebrate a Low Gunker with chart-topping Funnyisms. It's all I ask.

Funnyisms: 13 🤣

Uniclues:

1 Squishy girls on the bottom.
2 Line from a play where you hope the answer is "Absolutely not."
3 Middle Eastener tolerating a headache rather than getting into the Excedrin.
4 Spaghetti strap mystery.
5 The little dude who can carry the whole potato chip.
6 Drink astronaut cocktails in moderation.
7 When he rhymes Jesus with sheezus in a Gregorian chant.
8 Striking viking for liking (or licking?).

1 SOFTER ALTOS
2 OGRE: ARE YOU GAME?
3 OMAN PILL SAVER
4 CAMISOLE ENIGMA
5 ARMY ANTS' GYM RAT
6 TANG SANELY
7 ABBOT RITE GAG
8 BOY TOY NORSEMEN

My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Backward Santa on the beach. SUN BURNT OHOH.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SouthsideJohnny 7:45 AM  

Ignored the theme, which was a vast wasteland to me. I just don’t have the gene that you need to discern/decode the gimmicky stuff. Fortunately a lot of the rest was pretty standard CrossWorld fare.

I’m getting to the point where I enjoy finding the nonsense in the NYT grids such as ORFEO, EBRO, EST, HEH, . . . I also get a kick out of the normal words with the weird clues like a fish for TANG, for example.

I’m fine with PATOOT since ASS has been getting way too much airplay this summer.

My post solve consultation with uncle google offered no help with GEOLOCATION, which apparently has something to do with satellite and GPS technology. No clue how that relates to the GOBI DESSERT - apparently the fact that they both begin with a G has something to do with it (per OFL), but still not registering for me.

Steve 7:55 AM  

Enjoyed the theme but got stuck for a couple of minutes in the NE because I had “toy boy” rather than “boy toy”. Perhaps it’s a UK thing but the former is a much more recognised expression to me.

Anonymous 7:56 AM  

I’m 58 and saw bits and pieces of Lassie reruns growing up, but would surf past them looking for cartoons.

Apparently I watched some I Love Lucy though because I had Ricky before Timmy.

king_yeti 8:20 AM  

I did

pabloinnh 8:34 AM  

Caught on immediately with the M-E AWARDS and looked forward to finding the rest, but unlike OFL did not search them out. Like OFL wound up in the NE and lost many nanoseconds trying to parse EYE and BOYTOY. Didn't help that if I ever knew Woody's last name, it didn't stick.

Highlights included EBRO, which I know from years of teaching Spanish geography, and remembering that Mastermind used PEGs, very helpful in the SW,

Didn't we just have OHBOTHER? Seems very familiar, and last time I needed lots of crosses but today it went right in.

My only nit for this one is segmentation, which slams the brakes on whooshiness.

I liked you Thursday very much, BW. Built With care and intelligence, and thanks for all the fun.

Dr.A 8:37 AM  

I seriously had no idea about the Lassie clue but aren’t all boys in old shows either Billy or Timmy? (Except Opie but that’s a noteworthy exception and probably one reason everyone still knows the name). As soon as I got one “down” there I had it, Timmy. Not Billy

Dr.A 8:39 AM  

I could not get the theme either. Need @Rex to help me!

GG 8:47 AM  

In fact, Lassie never explicitly "communicated" with Timmy and his family. She (tho played by a "he") would bark frantically, and the family would respond, "Lassie is trying to tell us something." But the "What's that Lassie...Timmie fell down a well?" was a common comedy routine.

RooMonster 9:00 AM  

Hey All !
Neat literal clue puz. Took a second to see what in tarhooties was happening, but once figured out, turned into an easy ThursPuz.

Had arMYAWARDS first for the MEDALS clue, then realized that wasn't it. Figured out EMMY, then got ARMYANTS in the crossing Down. Funny when that happens. With my wonderful memory, forget what we call that.

SOSO, SO THERE, SO FTER. Har.

Enjoyed the puz. Could've clued TIMMY via South Park. Just sayin'.

Happy Thursday!

One F
RooMonster
DarrinV

Bob Mills 9:12 AM  

Took mr over an hour, but I finished it without cheating. When I didn't find a revealer, I assumed the trick had to be within the clues, at which point I noticed the darkened first letters. After that it was easy, except for the SW. I had remembered Tommy (Rettig?) as Lassie's owner, but he was the actor whose name was Timmy, I guess. I enjoyed the struggle...I usually don't enjoy Thursday puzzles.

Anonymous 9:29 AM  

Had never heard of PATOOT but knew PATOOTie. Momentarily wondered whether it could be PATOOY, but that sounds more like a cartoon character spitting so was able to finish.

Anonymous 9:35 AM  

Phonetically spell out the first two letters of the clue (ge, o) and then read the clue as a whole — gobi desert is a location. So, geolocation.

Sir Hillary 10:02 AM  

Very nice theme, with (as Rex notes) ANYOLDTHING as the star of the show.

Stuff:
-- ERROL Garner, next to a PIANO? APT.
-- Nice trivia tidbit about ICEDTEA; I had no idea.
-- Aside from Sam Malone, I'm not sure I could name a single surname of a "Cheers" character, and certainly not Woody's. Needed every cross.
-- Blue TANGs are truly gorgeous, a snorkeling highlight if you happen to see one.
-- The smart-ass clue for DAD would have been "2, to 6".

Not sure how "Tootsie treat" (a clear misdirect to "roll"), "Buns" (quite normal, if oldish) and PATOOT constitute the horrific triumph of infantilism, but I guess YMMV.

kitshef 10:05 AM  

Lassie's owner was Jeff (played by Tommy Rettig) in season 1-3 and Timmy (played by Jon Provost) in seasons 4-10. Things got weird after that with Lassie leaving the rural family setting and joining the Forest Service.

Anonymous 10:08 AM  

But Glick’s “Orfeo ed Euridice” is the famous one.

Nancy 10:10 AM  

ANY OLD THING was worth the price of admission. I laughed out loud. But I expected to have another guffaw at an answer that didn't turn out to be what I expected. I hadn't looked at the number of letters so that I thought RUMMY would be ARE YOU DRUNK? instead of ARE YOU GAME? ARE YOU DRUNK? has the same number of letters as ANY OLD THING and therefore could have replaced GEOLOCATION -- a much less delicious answer.

But this is a cute theme -- and the apt cluing (looking at you, "SAY WHAT?") makes it very deftly executed. This is a puzzle I'd give to newbie solvers to introduce them to a puzzle based on wordplay. Easy enough that they'll almost certainly solve it; amusing enough that they'll want to come back for more puzzles in the future. Liked it a lot.

Bob Mills 10:14 AM  


If NPR says, "Ice Tea" instead of ICEDTEA, someone should call the station master. ICEDTEA is correct.

Tom T 10:17 AM  

Three clues for HDWs* in this grid:

1. Spuds on the side, familiarly
2. Timely fruit?
3. The "new" "All square" in golf

Like Andy Freude and others, I was surprised by my low time when I finished this solve. I felt like it was a slog, but in fact I was close to my best Thursday time ever.

18D, WOE, was not a WoE.

Answers:
1. TOTS (off the T in 23A, TSA, moves to SE)
2. DATE (the T in 37D, YARD, moves to NE)
3. TIED (T in 66A, TOSS--When the 2019 Official Rules of Golf came out, the colorful phrase "all square" had been replaced by the more mundane "TIED. " SO THERE.)

I'm OUT
*Hidden Diagonal Words

Sir Hillary 10:33 AM  

Good stuff as always, Tom T. FWIW, the replacement of "all square" with TIED or "E" is my personal "thing of absolutely no importance that nonetheless irritates the hell out of me". Who was calling for this change? Match play on TV just isn't the same without the "AS" notation. :)

Alice Pollard 10:33 AM  

ORFEO I didnt know. Everything else was kinda easy. I got the theme early and that helped. I agree with PATOOT. what the heck is that. I remember Rosie O'Donnell saying "Cutie PATOOTie" , but PATOOT?. BOYD somehow came to me. I had SeeHERE before SOTHERE

Mark G 10:41 AM  

Ah, what a delight to again see that iconic Sugarcubes album art again, related to one of the clues (the song "Sick for Toys" relating to BOYTOY). Yes, that is Björk singing behind Icelandic bandmate Einar Örn's spoken word riffs. The airy notes Björk sings in the opening bars is "veik í leikföng, veeee-eik í leikföng" which translates as Sick for Toys. Curiously, Google translate lists it as Sick of Toys. "Veik" is 'weak' or 'sick', "veik (fem sing form of veikur) í" is 'into', "leik" is 'play' so "leikföng" (pl of leikfang) is like a 'plaything'. Everthing comes back to Icelandic eventually. P.S. in Icelandic, the letter ö is pronounced approximately like the first sound in "urge" or vowel in "bird" .

Nancy 10:54 AM  

I never remember which constructors make which puzzles. Heck, I seldom even remember the puzzles themselves even a day later -- unless I've made some sort of notation in some sort of running list I keep. So thanks for reminding me, Lewis, how many recent puzzles that I really loved were constructed by Brad Wiegman -- all of them different and all of them clever.

Carola 11:02 AM  

I caught on to the letter-play at EMMY AWARDS so was able to write in ESSAY, GEO-, ANY, and ARE YOU but had to wait for what would complete the phrases - fun to see them snap into view. I can see @Rex's point that the theme is easier to comprehend than explain, so will abandon my attempt to say what's so clever about the relationship between the clues and answers and just say that the constructor has a great EYE for playful possibilities.

Anonymous 11:02 AM  

Another Brit here. Zoomed through everything with ease then got stuck in NE corner because it had to be toy boy, I was certain. Add in my lack of hoops lingo and that was that.

mathgent 11:05 AM  

I watched Cheers a lot. The only last name that didn't come to me right away was Carla's -- Tortelli. Later LaBec.

Cute theme, smart cluing (new one for ABBA), no junk (HEH?), more sparkle than usual for a Thursday. Thumbs up!

egsforbreakfast 11:07 AM  

Pre-pubescent BOYTOYs produce neither sperm NORSEMEN.

Well, I guess the Gray Lady liked this one since it contains all the GNUS that's fit to print.

Clever, well-executed theme. Thanks, Brad Wiegmann

jae 11:21 AM  

Easy. No erasures and no WOES.

Very smooth grid, clever theme, liked it.

I grew up in the 50’s so TIMMY was a gimme.

Trina 11:21 AM  

Triggered by an innocuous reference to Bush pere et fils? Geez. Get yourself to the campus safe room.

Enjoyed the puzz.

Anonymous 11:34 AM  

Dory from Finding Nemo and Finding Dory is a blue TANG. My guess is that’s going to register with a significant swath of the solving base at this point, given how many people should have seen that as or with kids.

Anonymous 11:38 AM  

The real first owner of Lassie was Jeff

jberg 11:43 AM  

I got the gimmick with GEOLOCATION, after which the other themers fell easily, except for the last, which could have been ARE YOU minE, or probably many other things -- because I had only got the first part of the gimmick. Then I realized that RUMMY was a game, and it was all over.

The clue for OMAN made me wonder, since it is not particularly close to Zanzibar, so I looked it up. Turns out that there was an Omani empire based on sea power, which competed with the British and Portuguese ones for influence in the region. Zanzibar, a center of the slave trade, became rich, and the emperor decided to move his capital there from Muscat, after which an internal dispute broke out and ended with the separation of the two countries. So the clue is defensible, but IMO a bit of a stretch. By the same logic you could say that Portugal split from Brazil--but I think most people would put it the other way around.I did spend a few nanoseconds wondering about 24-A when I had --OLOCATe- and wondered if it shouldn't be if it shouldn't be chOcOlATe. But that didn't work, and I figured out that the foot warmer was a BOOTIE, and then saw what the boldface GO meant.

Do OGREs really look like trolls? You decide-- here's a trolland here's an ogre. Close enough, maybe.

jb129 11:59 AM  

What a nice surprise ! I loved this -
SQUAT, EYE, EDEN, PEDI. PATOOT for Buns took me awhile since it reminded me of yesterday, but I enjoyed this a lot. And just when I was gearing myself up for a Rebus Thursday :(
Many thanks, Brad :)

Anonymous 12:01 PM  

I, too was bummed out by the "41 to 43" clue, but I knew the answer right away, remembering when I stopped doing the mini when Joel was constantly working in names like "Devos" and "Coney" (as in Amy _ Barrett).

Hack mechanic 12:09 PM  

Not up on college sports so had Terps (Terrapins) in for Heels the T of which made
NEolith any old sTones.
Never did get Tang as it crossed baseball jibberish.
Oy Vey!

jberg 12:37 PM  

Thanks to @Rex for explaining the clue for PATOOT. I was committing the classic NYT error of reading "Bums" as "Burns." No wait, I see it as actually being "Buns." So I can't blame it all on the typeface, but partly to my blurred vision up close.

I also got lucky by not seeing either 1-A or 5-A at first, so entering the puzzle with ABBA, as a result of which I had LOCATION before GEO, making it a lot easier to get.

I firmly believe that TIMMY will always be remembered, a least as long as there are wells. But then, I'm of the generation that grew up watching him.

@Dr. A, well, there was Beaver; I can't remember his christened name, but it wasn't TIMMY or Billy. Theodore, maybe?

M and A 12:46 PM  

Just got back from a 3-week 3000-mile roadtrip, and can now no longer enter comments from my computer. This one comes from my ipad.
Thanx, Google-monster.
Masked & Anonymo3Us

p.s. Nice puztheme today.

Bonnie Buratti 12:58 PM  

Folks: every day has a cat clue - a total joy to cat men and cat ladies.

Teedmn 1:12 PM  

I went to Google Maps post-solve in order to see where OMAN and Zanzibar are located in relation with each other. To me, they look pretty far apart and it surprises me they were ever together.

Today's sticky spot for me was the SW. TIMMY rather than Lassie saved the day for me. I'm glad someone got him out of the well. :-)

Thanks, Brad Wiegmann!

Cassieopia 1:18 PM  

Enjoyed the puzzle but got stuck on 42 down, "That'll show ya!" Not knowing Spain's longest river nor how to complete "Scientia potentia..." led me to "SeeHERE" instead of SOTHERE. Had to cheat to get the happy music.

Beezer 1:19 PM  

Theodore!

Beezer 1:25 PM  

I loved this brilliant puzzle and just wanted Brad W. To know (if he reads the blog). I’d say more except I wrote a book this morning but when I hit “publish” it thought about it a moment then said there was a “publishing error.” After two times I gave up.

Anonymous 1:29 PM  

Agreed. I’d actually love to see more gratuitous bush content in the NYTX.

Jonathan Klabunde Tomer 2:47 PM  

As someone who can't see SQUAT with my naked EYEs, that one jumped right out at me.

Am I the only one who thought the theme would've worked better (length aside) with the clues and answers reversed? They didn't quite sit right with me as is. Not hard to pick up on or execute, just... a bit wrong-feeling.

Anonymous 3:21 PM  

Before Timmy there was a different cast on the TV show and the owner was Jeff.

Anoa Bob 4:02 PM  

What, not even a single arched eyebrow anywhere about 11D
"Young male lover, informally" for BOY TOY? I wonder if "Young female lover, informally" for GIRL TOY would have been viewed with the same indifference.

Since "NEO-" is a prefix meaning "new" or "recent", I was hesitant to put in the OLD part of 48A ANY OLD THING. The phonetic "N E OLITH" reading of the clue didn't help. What is an "OLITH"?

Yes, I did notice that 17A EMMY AWARD was different from all the other answers.

kitshef 4:38 PM  

Yes, you missed the whole Blogger format change. But you should still be able to post from a computer (I am doing so right now). Possibly operating-system or browser-related (I'm Windows/Chrome), or perhaps you have a popup blocker on? The Comments opens as a new window for me.

Chris 5:55 PM  

Although it doesn't bother me, pedants will point out heatedly that it's Tar Heels (two words). UNc '79

Beezer 6:02 PM  

Welp Anoa Bob…I’m kinda old and after years of female objectification (sic?) I guess I just need a while to be properly outraged. But…you are right…once the poison is identified I figure it SHOULD be eradicated…

Anonymous 6:02 PM  

But Patty’s only seen the sights a girl can see from Brooklyn Heights

Beezer 6:04 PM  

Omg on NORSEMEN. Why do I (a mere mortal) not SEE these things!? 🤣

Gary Jugert 6:25 PM  

@M and A 12:46 PM
Welcome back! We need you. And mentioning the change in Blogger's comment system will trigger some PTSD in some.

Anonymous 6:39 PM  

One of my favorite cartoons…
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=lassie+get+help+cartoon&t=iphone&iax=images&ia=images&iai=http%3A%2F%2Fthumbpress.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F04%2Ffunny-cartoon-Lassie-help-therapist1.jpg

M and A 7:10 PM  

I think/hope I have found ways around this new Comment Gallery postin challenge. Sooo ... this is a test, includin a runt puzzle link.

Masked & Anonymous replyin to self.

**gruntz**

Anonymous 7:11 PM  

Can't believe no one mentioned this little ditty
https://youtu.be/0Vix3eDWZms?si=X6LF_G-0N_SRC8YV

TAB2TAB 7:48 PM  

According to Google, the TAGUS is Spain's longest river, the Ebro is the second longest. Is this just an Editor goof?

JC66 8:47 PM  

Welcome back M&A...you were missed, as were your runt puzzles.

Anonymous 9:24 PM  

Nothing wrong with the editor. The Targus is the longest river in the Iberian Peninsula, but about half of it is in Portugal. The Ebro is the longest river in Spain

kitshef 9:28 PM  

The Tagus is longer than the Ebro, but part of the Tagus is in Portugal. Only 507 miles of the Tagus are in Spain. But the entire length of the Ebro (580 miles) is in Spain.

Anonymous 10:29 AM  

I've been a baseball fan my entire life (seven decades) and have never heard anyone describing a pitcher's accomplishment as a "nono". Is that supposed to be a cutesy expression for a no-hitter?

Giz 8:12 PM  

Can't see Zanzibar without thinking of John Brunner's prescient 1968 novel Stand on Zanzibar. Still a fav and holds up after several rereads. I also think of Billy Joel's Zanzibar with my hero Freddie Hubbard on trumpet.

Sian 3:51 PM  

Anoa I had exactly the same thought. I might expect Boy Toy to have been an acceptable answer 15 years ago but not now surely? Which gives me hope we're moving in the right direction

Anonymous 10:08 AM  

I’m 70. I got Timmy right away. June Lockhart played the mother. As a kid I watched that show religiously. It’s the modern pop culture stuff I have trouble with!

Anonymous 8:56 PM  

Nice puzzle love the Bush clue

Anonymous 8:58 PM  

It’s new(ish) but it’s a real thing. Kind of like the misuse of “stopper” in referring to a late-inning reliever.

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP