Member of the World Cup's "Tartan Army" fan base / FRI 8-7-2026 / Website associated with the domain www.news.com / "It's ___ or nothin'!" (classic kids' commercial slogan)
Friday, August 7, 2026
Constructor: Jesse Cohn
Relative difficulty: to judge this puzzle on difficulty is to imply there was anything about it that was difficult, which there wasn't
Word of the Day: LEFT TURNS [No-nos at some highway intersections] —
A Michigan left or P-turn is an at-grade intersection design that replaces each left (farside) turn at an intersection between a (major) divided roadway and a secondary (minor) roadway with the combination of a right (nearside) turn followed by a U-turn, or a U-turn followed by a right (nearside) turn, depending on the situation. It is in use in numerous countries.
This intersection design was given the name "Michigan left" due to its frequent use along roads and highways in the U.S. state of Michigan since the late 1960s. In other contexts, the intersection is called a median U‑turn crossover or median U‑turn, or restricted crossing U-turn (RCUT). The design is also sometimes referred to as a boulevard left, a boulevard turnaround, an indirect left turn, a Michigan loon, a J‑turn, P‑turn or a "ThrU Turn" intersection. (Wikipedia, on one potential way to deal with no left turns)
• • •
Hey hi howdy hello, Christopher Adams here, thankfully solving this puzzle on the ground when flight delays had me thinking I'd be blogging this six or seven miles above the surface of the earth. Honestly, delays are the real [Flight nuisance], not a GATE CHANGE, especially now that you can get notifications about said gate changes immediately when they happen, rather than schlepping all the way down to your gate only to find out that it's now a flight to an entirely different location you do not want to visit, and you have to walk twenty minutes back to a gate that always seems to be close to where you just walked from. Granted, you can also get flight delay email notifications, but you can't do anything about those except perhaps sigh and decide to spend another hour or two inside the airport lounge (which I did).Anyway, I wish this puzzle was as lofty as my flight was; instead, I'm a certified BOOER [Vocal critic] of this puzzle. The grid is pretty defensive from the start—you can kinda see how it's almost broken up into nine smaller sections in a 3x3 grid, just with the first two and last two combined—and there's really not a lot of long entries, and no effort to make them interesting at all (either by themselves, or with interesting clues). Like, MUSIC PRODUCTION; that's a thing, but it's not an interesting use of fifteen letters; the clue at least tries to save it by giving some misdirection to athletics, but it's a minimal, half-hearted attempt that's easily seen through.
Though at least it tried to do something, which is more than I can say for most of the entries here, which are just straightforward and don't offer much resistance; even worse, they mostly don't give me a reason to care, either. A BITE TO EAT clued as [What someone might get quickly around lunchtime]—yup, that's straightforward, but not interesting. I don't know how I feel about this being a long entry starting with A (though my gut says more legit than not), but I do know I like it more than CAT'S OUT OF THE BAG, which feels like it's missing the "the" out front to me.
[Fields Medal winner Terence] TAO, here on 3Blue1Brown; part two of this is linked in the description, and this earlier talk also covers the same general ideas
Olio:
- BORSCHT [One dish commonly in the 12 dish Sviata Vecheria, a traditional Ukrainian Christmas dinner] — Not hard (name a Ukrainian dish), especially if you already have the B in place, but unlike many other clues in this puzzle, it's interesting and lets you learn something new. More of this, please!
- SCOT [Member of the World Cup's "Tartan Army" fan base] — As Scots were to Boston bars, so I might have been to the airport lounges today. Also, sports! More of this, please!
- FABERGE EGG [Bejeweled target of a heist in "Ocean's Twelve"] — "Bejeweled" absolutely nerfs this clue, but still a fun movie in my opinion, especially with Julia Roberts as Tess Ocean, pretending to be Julia Roberts. When it comes to silly things like that in movies: more of this, please!
- BIG AL [Elephant mascot of the Alabama Crimson Tide] — Auburn's gonna win the football game! More of this, please!
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
π My other blog π:
- Pop Sensation (vintage paperbacks)














112 comments:
C’mon Christopher, it wasn’t that bad. You’re just pissed cuz you’re in an airport. (I hate airports, I understand.) . Sure A BITE TO EAT and MUSIC PRODUCTION were a bit pedestrian, but there was some good stuff in here. I HADNO IDEA and CAT’S OUT OF THE BAG were pretty good, as was BUST A GUT. Flying nuisance held me up for a bit because I’m not in an airport (lucky me), I’m in my studio, with the doors open and the mosquitoes have found me and I’m obsessed with them just like you’re obsessed with GATE CHANGEs.
Liked ARE WE A THING as well as some of the shorter stuff like WRIST as a “Spot for light punishment” and “Piece of ice in the drink” for BERG. Of course I was thinking “cube” because I’m enjoying a nightcap and blissing out. Did I mention I feel for you and your airport torment? Ah, well, I hope you feel better when you get where you’re going. You have my sympathy. No, really.
Easy. Pretty whooshy solve for me. The top third was early week easy.
I did not know NYC, NERF, BIG AL,
Costly erasures - mARS before TARS and Heap before HOST.
No junk with a smattering of sparkle, liked it quite a bit more than @Chris did.
Easy-Medium. A decent Friday. Liked it better than @Chris did, and found a bit more crunch.
* * * _ _
Overwrites:
At 1A, STRESS BAnd before STRESS BALL.
Fell into the "wiped out" trap of ate IT before BIT IT at 7D.
I HAD NO clue before IDEA at 15A.
My piece of ice in the drink was a rock before it was a BERG (43A).
I had uso for the 52D tour org. before PGA.
For besmirches at 56A, I had mARS, thinking it odd that there was no cross-reference with ROVER at 42A. Because it was TARS.
WOEs:
Sandal maker TEVA at 32A.
Didn't know the 'Bama mascot BIG AL at 38A, although I think I've encountered it (him?) in crosswords.
@Chris: The real bane of a gate change is when you schlep all the way down to your gate only to find out that it's now a flight to an entirely different location that you would much rather visit than your grandmother's house in Columbus.
Christopher, this was probably more fun for anyone who wasn’t experiencing flight delays, alongside all the usual annoyances of air travel in the age of enshittification. I thought the attempt to use phrases that are in the language mostly worked, though some have that “eat a sandwich” quality. Don’t know if I’d give it a NINE, but probably a 7.5.
I liked it.
Set and setting; I’m enjoying a lovely early morning, sipping coffee with my dog, not trying to get from point a to point b in an airplane terminal. So I liked this better than Christopher but felt like a Wednesday - not a lot of resistance.
Not my favorite Friday. Needed a cheat for the FABERGEEGG/BIGAL cross, and only got the STRESSBALL/BITIT cross by trial-and-error (what is a stress ball?). Found Christopher Adams' comments to be unnecessarily sarcastic.
10:54 this morning for me, which is definitely on the easy side for a Friday. So I agree with Chris there.... but I enjoyed this more. I wasn't aware of the mis-hearing of "All of" as OLIVE but that was cute, and the TOYMAKER is another holiday reference.... are we having a little Christmas in Summertime? I liked the long downs, like AREWEATHING and SCIFIMOVIES (though including "film" in the clue did bring that one down to Wednesday level). I do agree that the clueing could have been a bit more challenging. Thanks for a cool Friday puzzle, Jesse!
Chris pretty much nails this one. The grid appeared choppy and disjoint at first glance - maybe the two spanners showed promise? MUSIC PRODUCTION is a rough way to fill a 15 - CATS OUT OF THE BAG is a partial and not much better.
Pure Prairie League
Overall fill went in without a hitch from top left to bottom right. I liked I HAD NO IDEA, BUST A GUT and POWER GRAB. BOOER is brutal. A real skier knows there is no W in SNO CAT. Didn’t really know the OLIVE x LUCA cross. I think @TTrimble once provided an elegant discussion on the greatness of TAO.
The Irish ROVER
Not a terrible offering if it was a midweek themeless but just not the splashy - fun loving Friday that I’m looking for.
CATS Under the Stars
The inference high – that moment when the brain suddenly sees the whole answer when just a few letters are filled in – that beatific flash – is one of the great pleasures of solving, and it peppered my solve today more than usual. I left the box buzzed and grateful.
But even better than that, Jesse’s puzzle warmed my soul exactly as his last puzzle did, where the answer HASSOCK brought back memories of my Great Grandma Annie, who I revered, and who used that word, one of the few people I’ve known who has. And now today we see BORSCHT, a staple in the heavenly meals she made.
You stirred my brain and soul, Jesse, on top of a fun outing, and I am very grateful. You say that you're retiring from making puzzles, but left open the possibility of coming back, and I greatly hope to see an encore up the road!
P.S. – Lovely to see WRIST following yesterday’s SLAPS.
31A: Though some congressional pork projects, like any congressional spending, may be wasteful, there is nothing inherently wasteful about pork spending. PORK refers to the process used to enact the legislation, its sponsor, and the specificity of its benefit to a particular district, state or region. The term itself has nothing to do with wastefulness. Just as some projects may be wasteful, others may provide tremendous benefit to a region and at an efficient cost. Would anyone in their right mind call one of the largest and most famous pork projects, the Tennessee Valley Authority, that helped bring a whole region and beyond out of the depression and into economic prosperity, a waste of money? I do wish the puzzle editors would spend more time fixing such sloppy cluing instead of trying to dazzle us with cute tricks.
Everyone liked it except Mr. Adams, me included. Not the hardest Friday but challenging enough for a 17-minute solve. Nice puzzle.
100 percent.
I had to change, are we an item to are we a thing.Other than that, the puzzle was pretty easy.ππππ
Happy to have solved it. Easy for a pro it seems, difficult for me. Some nice entries.
Please tell me the common mondegreen containing OLIVE.
Record Friday time for me but I don’t feel I earned it. This was Tuesday-level difficulty.
I think my family used the word HASSOCK, only we pronounced it "hossick." I think I was probably 30 before I ever saw the word written out, and realized that it was the same word.
Thanks, Rick—you just made me realize I never went back and figured out what was going on with the OLIVE clue. Now I get a chuckle and I learn the word “mondegreen”!
Might be some solvers who thought we had a LOTR reference with SOURON. Something that just popped into my head as I sipped my Whiskey Sore.
If you watch TOONS backward you'll get a SNOOT full.
I would have liked to see GRIDS clued as [What you stare at every day for 5 to 45 minutes (YMMV)]
We just got the latest, bestest bum gun. It's a trIDET. 50% better than a BIDET.
But maybe I shouldn't make this kind of joke since my son is dating a BIGAL
I liked this more than Christopher Adams did. Thanks, Jesse Cohn.
17A/5D - CAT crossing CAT??
Agreed. Artsy fartsy
I was feeling pretty disgruntled after being expected to know the name of the title boy in a Pixar film, and then to see MUSIC PRODUCTION as a field. I'm pretty sure the people who do that call themselves just "producers."
But then--there was my name, a shameless attempt to curry favor on the constructor's part, but I'll take it. Not that I think of myself as a piece of ice in the drink, but hey, as long as you spell it right.
bolT before T-NUT (as opposed to C-NET), Heap before HOST, and I diDn't know before I HAD NO IDEA. I liked it better than Chris.
I like it more than our host did. Plenty of opportunities to build and keep up momentum moving through the grid. Not too many groaner clues, which is always a positive.
I had a slight hiccup in that small section with TEVA, UVEAS, BIG AL and strangely I’ve never heard of block HEELS or platform HEELS - I haven’t looked it up, but I assume they are cousins of flats or stilettos.
I have a bit of a nit with the clue for SICS (unless I am misinterpreting it). I’m assuming that it refers to something akin to urging your dog to harass someone. I’ve never heard someone say I’m going to SET my dog on you in such a situation. Maybe it’s regional, or as I mentioned, perhaps I am missing something.
Judging something on degree of difficulty has nothing to do with implying that there is something difficult about it.
I also got that inference high from Jesse’s puzzle today too! Actually I couldn’t get much traction up top out the gate (I tried the cats out with no “of” and gave up on it) so I meandered to the bottom and picked up MUSICPRODUCTION right away and zoomed along from there. I’m a VP at a record label so I had a bit of an advantage there.
I think the lack of excitement in the answers is what made them a little tougher to get them exactly right and I did enjoy figuring them out.
Embarrassingly easy.
I honestly despise the new easiness of the end of the week puzzles. Analogous to participation trophies. Everyone has to win!
What is a stress ball? Really?
STRESSBALL: Every dance I attended in high school.
SIS: What comes before boom bah?
Detroit teams away games: CATS OUT OF THE BAG.
PREGO: Ready, set.
It comes with Avenues B and D: AVEC
Bama's BIGAL: Not to be confused with Yeshiva U mascot, Bagel.
Alternate clue for LUCA: Who sleeps with herring, other than my Uncle Lou who is in the appetizing business? ______ Brasi
I thought I was so clever when I confidently entered [MOUND VISIT] for 1A. But the downs immediately disabused me of that notion.
For whatever reason I never seem to dislike the puzzles when I'm supposed to. This seemed fine to me. Not great, but good enough.
"ARE WE A THING?" -- is this really a relationship-defining question? "A thing" seems about as undefined as a relationship can get...
I definitely agree that “airport” is almost a dirty word these days (especially O’hare). Most things either get better (think the move from regular color TVs to HDTV) or more convenient (like cellphones) over time with improvements in technology and the like. But air travel has certainly sucked (and gotten worse) over the last fifty years (due to deregulation ?). I guess one might argue that you can get cross country in one day for less than (say) $1,000, so shut up and eat your peas. I’d rather pay more and not be treated like cattle or lemmings. Rant over.
And Les - re yesterday, in your scenario I might be tempted to “go for the gold” and add some fig chutney, tart apples or sweet pairs, perhaps some bacon and fruit jam or some onion marmalade to a Welsh Rarebit and go from there. We might be taking a bit of culinary license by calling it a “jam” sandwich, but I think it would be worth the effort - and definitely “close enough for CrossWorld”.
A BIT/BITE of a mixed bag. The upper half was underwhelmingly easy in spite of my HEAP/HOST write over. The bottom half held some stumbling blocks. In the SE the unknown TAO next to the difficult to infer NINE compounded my struggle to correctly parse A BIT to A BITE. I felt quite flummoxed not having any idea who Terrence TAO is or even what field this "Fields Medal" is given for. As for the NINE clue that's a debut as far as Im concerned. They've never completely blurred the line between grading and rating and it really threw me off.
Much worse than the SE confusion was my misreading the word "hardware" as "headwear" multiple times and being convinced that 30D must be TUPE only to have UGLI/U inthe wrong place. NERF as clued was an unknown so that didn't help. I had to backfill that middle west section once I'd filled in the SW corner.
To add insult to injury I had to deal with a "so close" ending because I had spelled OWENS with a Q instead of an O. No idea how I could have done that but on a cellphone it's damn hard to spot.
Once again falling asleep on the sofa finishing the SB and then waking up in the middle of the night and solving on my phone is a bad idea.
Small nit, but the “Elephant mascot of the Alabama Crimson Tide” would have been a much better clue (for a Friday) if it were shorter. Like, does the clue need to tell us the mascot is an elephant? Can it not simply say Bama or Crimson Tide? Including elephant and Alabama makes Big Al a little too easy to guess for a Friday.
This most certainly didn't feel like a Friday to me. Beat my PB time by (I think) close to 2 minutes. Enjoyable even if it was quite easy.
I read Big Al as Bi-Gal, and thought, wow, pretty progressive of Bama
¿Somos algo?
Super fast and super blah. Finished in Tuesday time. Wrote in the entire cat thing (which I like) off the C. We'll see if any new adverbs hit the bricks today for our Affrontery Hall of Fame, but with π¦ being out, our Piler-On-ers are less likely to be in attendance.
I was unaware sandals had a "big name" so TEVA was my big slowdown. And I'd never heard the NERF slogan. I'm flummoxed by OLIVE and wondering what carol it's from. I don't think its odd at all that baked Alaska would have been invented in one of the culinary capitals of the world.
I'd be okay with a straight up rule saying "horrible people are fair game in the grids, but college mascots are fluffy personae non gratae."
Of all the nuisances in flying, GATE CHANGE seems like the least nuisance-ified.
π© A BITE TO EAT. SICS. BOOER.
People: 7
Places: 0
Products: 9
Partials: 2
Foreignisms: 1
--
Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 19 of 70 (27%)
Funny Factor: 3 π
π₯ Ooh-la-la! π₯ SEDUCE. BITIT.
Uniclues:
1 Appropriate tool to minimize the amount of Danny Boy you need to listen to.
2 Yo ho ho and a bottle of glue, I put my ___ in a box, and Misfit my sweet patootie, that's quality control's problem, for example.
3 Those headed to the fuzz at dawn.
4 Dangerous GPS recommendation when your pants are down.
5 My belly.
1 SCOT TASER
2 TOY MAKER SONGS
3 EARLY RISER RATS (~)
4 BIDET LEFT TURNS (~)
5 BORSCHT HOST (~)
My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Showy shiny shin tin for fuzzy friend. ALPACA LEG ARMOR.
¯\_(γ)_/¯
I liked this one! It was on the easier side, but it still had some bite and plenty of fun entries. Agree with other commenters that Chris’s negativity might by driven by his airport experience, rather than this enjoyable Friday puzzle.
Oof, what a clunker. Did someone ask a.i. to create this puzzle? The Alabama mascot clue eluded me since I don't watch the Super Easy Conference (SEC) all that often and have no interest in a team whose mascot is identical to that of the GOP. Other than that, this one felt like a task, not a challenge.
Interesting that the only long answer I didn't get pretty quickly was STRESSBALL, which made me think we were in for a more challenging Friday,, but nope. Turned out to be a Tuesday or Wednesday with longer answers, but they were in-the-language enough to be OK. with me.
Read the clue "big name in sandals" and thought how am I supposed to know that and then looked down at my feet which had a TEVA on each one. Oh, I said to myself. Didn't know the OLIVE mondegreen, which is a good one. It can be on the Christmas list with Round John Virgin. I did know BIGAL somehow, although the connection between Alabama and an elephant has always been unclear to me. And fond memories of the Tartan Army. who brought inordinate joy to Boston (see also current edition of the Red Sox).
I had a good if abbreviated time with your Fridecito, JC. Just Cuz it was easy doesn't mean it wasn't fun, for which thanks.
The reviewer’s explanation of the Michigan left turn made me stick my fingers in my ears and yell La La La La La. That was way way way worse than this puzzle, which I quite enjoyed by the way. Stacks are my favorite grids and there are a taste of them here. I’ve forgotten the name of the brilliant stacks constructor who I haven’t seen in the NYT in many years. I think he lived in the Northwest and name began with an M? Anyone else remember? I’m sure he’s published elsewhere. But I digress.
I got a big kick about a word new to my vocabulary, mondegreen. How cool, but I can’t figure out why anyone would think OLIVE was a reindeer name. I guess it’s a mispronunciation of the Rudolph carol, but I don’t fancy trying to remember all the lyrics in this heat.
I liked it. It wasn't as 'brutal' as some Saturdays - except for BIG AL & "A" bite to eat - "A" making its debut, I think.
But I'm here to comment on Chris Adams filling in for Rex today. I seem to remember him - don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing - ?????
I agree with Christopher that there was no resistance to this puzzle. But I liked it more than he did. Rather than a "the" in front, I wanted to tack on "now" at the end of CAT'S OUT OF THE BAG but "now" was in the clue (and obviously, that wouldn't fit.)
I had one moment of unease - 38A was _IGAL and 38D, well, I know a lot of Ukrainians and have had many of their dishes but I don't know the names of them. But the rest of the SE got me to BORSCHT with no problem and now I see it's BIG AL, not BIGAL.
Jesse Cohn, I thought this was a fun Friday, thanks!
FRIDAYS - gotta remember to get my days straight!
Also found this waaaay to easy until I shot myself in the metaphorical foot with SNOWCAb, which led to a cascade of issues into the SW corner, including mARS and cLIVE and SCary MOVIE and a total shorting out of my brain on the MUSIC PRODUCTION misdirect. So I went from why is this puzzle putting up no fight to WTF is this puzzle even doing? Two thumbs down.
Mondegreens are misheard lyrics. Apparently, some people misinterpret "ALL OF the other reindeer used to laugh ... " as "OLIVE the other reindeer ... ."
I knew what a mondegreen was but had never heard it before in that carol. I assume it refers to hearing “all of the other reindeer “ as “Olive, the other reindeer “.
THANK YOU, Nancy! She came up with Martin Ashton Smith who is a favorite of hers too,
Wednesday easy until I hit the SE.
Loved the write-up - especially the Michigan Left [you have to be from MI to appreciate that] - didn’t care for the puzzle as a Fri offering. It would have been excellent as a non-themed Mon or Tue.
All of the other reindeer = Olive, the other reindeer.
Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer: “All of the other reindeer used to laugh…” misheard as “Olive the other reindeer”
Agree!!! Are we now accepting blatant dupes like this? A slap on the WRIST at least!
Two of us guessed who the reviewer was just by the “Relative difficulty” comment. Some good points made, but mean-spirited.
Ashwood
Definitely more of a Wednesday vibe than a Friday, and there certainly was not much in the way of marquis entries ... but I never "dislike" crossword puzzles. I just like some more than others.
Ah, poor Olive -- got eaten by Gladly the Cross-Eyed Bear.
I'm assuming that a stress ball is a dance where people work out their anxiety by moving around rapidly (?)
I've honestly never heard of a "couple," a "pair," an "item," or any other kind of romantic duo referred to as a "thing."
When I was growing up I thought there was such a thing as "donzerly light."
Those who know Creedence Clearwater Revival will recognize this mondegreen: There's a bathroom on the right (There's a bad moon on the rise).
I liked the puzzle just fine.
Les S.More: I just read your description (from yesterday) of a jam sandwich with arugula and caramelized onions. Yes, yes, yes!
My wife and I both thought it was a pretty decent Friday Puzz. We enjoyed it.
Dang, looks like this Court Jester blog dude got up on the wrong side of the crossword bed. I thought this was a primo FriPuz themeless solvequest.
There were a few of the almost mandatory [at our house] FriPuz no-knows, but they were nice and scattered.
staff weeject pick [of only 6 choices]: EDS. Cuz of its extra weird ?-marker clue.
lotsa fave stuff, includin: BIGAL [neat no-know]. SCIFIMOVIES & clue. AREWEATHING. CATSOUTOFTHE BAG. POWERGRAB. FABERGEEGG spellin challenge. EARLYRISER. BERG clue. etc. etc.
Thanx for the themeless fun, Mr. Cohn dude. Impressive job.
Masked & Anonymo6Us
p.s.
Runt puzzle:
**gruntz**
M&A
You all have GOT to check the way in which you talk about how easy a crossword is. Congratulations, you're a whiz at crosswords. We knew this already. I, on the other hand, struggled with it as I struggle with all Fridays, felt proud when I finally figured it out, and never in my life feel so small as when I stop by this blog to find everyone saying "oh yeah, this one was so stupidly easy, there was no difficulty at all, anyone who couldn't figure it out must be braindead." Rex has done it several times too and it makes me want to stop doing the crossword.
Southside. Everything you mention sounds great, especially onion marmalade and bacon but it does sort of veer out of jam sandwich territory.
Jnlzbth. Check some of Southside Johnny's suggestions at 9:07.
egs! Bum gun? Really? Go to your room, young man. I mean it. Now!
Mound visit is a great wrong answer.
As per normal, I started this last evening but couldn't get any traction. But I was very tired, and I think it is because of the thick wildfire smoke we have had all week. In fact I was driving home yesterday afternoon, and was so tired that each time I hit a red light I had to rest my head on the steering wheel. This is a bad idea, because one time I thought I had the brake firmly pressed, but I felt an odd rhythm, and looked up to realize I was moving slowly forward and only inches from rear-ending the car ahead. Yikes!
Anyway, today I did better and steadily got it solved. However I filled in the last square, number 48, with N because what else could the across be than NYC? But that gave me NIRE for 48 down, because I had GATE CHARGE for the "flying nuisance" at 55 across (seemed totally plausible to me). Took me a while to think of GATE CHANGE.
Anyway, unlike Christopher I liked it just fine. OLIVE clued as the Mondegreen was great. My most embarrassing one was "wrapped up like a Duce" in Springsteen's "Blinded by the Light". (It's actually "revved up like a Deuce".)
My funniest typeover was BAGEL for the elephant mascot.
Worth it for me to learn that the name of the other reindeer is OLIVE, who apparently uses they/them pronouns.. Why did she have to be so mean to Rudolph?
I think I found the puzzle slower-going than most of you. I couldn't come up with STRESS BALL without many crosses, and in the NE, "Heap" and a misspelled FABreGE tripped me up.. SCIFI turned out to be the hardest letter string for me to parse. I noticed the parallel placement of BITIT and BIDET, which look like they could sound the same but don't.
NICE!
@Hartley70 & @Nancy. It's Martin Ashwood-Smith and I know this because I attended University of Victoria as an undergrad before he did. I was an art student but I knew of Martin's father, a renowned biology prof at the school. I am a big fan of Martin's puzzles and used to hate it when Rex would trash him.
Hey Cristopher. - your comment at the beginning regarding difficulty was rude and seemingly ignorant of the wide skill levels .of NYT puzzle solvers. So unnecessary. Tim196nyc@gmail.com
Now the first of December was covered with snow
So was the turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston
Now the Berkshires seemed dreamlike on account of that frostin'
Years ago I heard BIRCHES. I didn't know of the Berkshires.
Hi metro gnome. When my future wife and I were dating, unbeknownst to us, our colleagues called us “ quite the item “ up until we married. Maybe it’s a New York expression. I don’t know.
I hadn't heard "olive the other reindeer" before. There's an entire book of song mondegeens called 'Scuse me While I Kiss This Guy. Hilarious. Especially if you thought about why the bathroom would be on the right and what that lyric was doing in that song.
Why is lat a teap neighbor?!?
Thankfully Rex rates the puzzle, not the constructor. I’ve never seen him trash a *constructor* ever.
Why is lat a trap neighbor? (10 down)
Rather than stopping doing the crossword, you might want to forego the blog. Just sayin'.
Muscles
Hey now, let’s not go crazy π
Further to my comment about the smoke... I just checked the weather website and the air quality index here is 10. That's 10 on a scale of 1 to 10, by far the worst I've ever seen. (And the station that measures it is only 2 blocks from my house.)
Thanks! I know “pork barrel spending” as a lure to get votes, but I would never have imagined the TVA as an example of wasteful spending. The language we use to talk about politics is unfortunately lacking in nuance.
Mean OLIVE, good one!
Here in Minnesota we have taken the Michigan left turn and applied it to a number of scary intersections. But here we call them J-turns. No way are we going to give credit to MI :-).
I berated Chris in my comment, which was apparently enough for it to not be published.
Roo
Come back, Rex, you've been gone too long!
Roo
Hard for me and I had fun doing this great Friday puzzle! Thank you, Jesse Cohn. I hadn’t heard of SNOWCAT - I wanted CAr instead which made TRAIT tricky - I did know it was some kind of NUT though!
Thank you Rex for the explanation of LAT being a neighbor of trap - news to me!
Loved many clues, especially the SCI-FI MOVIES one.
Most of all I’ve enjoyed learning about mondegreens and OLIVE instead of “all of”. The other reindeer indeed!
I’m with Christopher and as the blogger of the day he’s entitled to express his opinion. You may disagree but I don’t think Rex’s blog is here to make beginners feel they are already great at solving. My guess is Rex writes to explain what’s happening for people who want to learn (which is how I found it), and to critique the puzzle for constructors (and editors) who want to improve.
Imagine a one-room schoolhouse. If the textbooks provided only go up to fifth grade reading level, what is there to keep the eighth graders engaged and progressing? Friday and especially Saturday puzzles have historically been designed to challenge the more experienced solvers. When they don’t deliver, it’s a let down, and people say so.
We can celebrate the success of new solvers too. It's exciting to start consistently solving puzzles at a level that used to seem impossible. But do you get the same satisfaction from it if you know the challenge has been scaled down? Besides, it doesn’t matter what someone else says. If you struggle with a puzzle but ultimately complete it - that’s a win! No puzzle critique can take it away.
I had some trouble finding our constructor’s wavelength, but it’s more because of the insane pollen count that has caused me to take a serious antihistamine and I’m kind of loopy. It was an ok Saturday with no embellishments and absolutely zero sparkle.
I agree with Christopher on the grid design that crested diagonal silos of not very exciting shorter answers. While the grid provided some real estate for challenging, clever, or debut material, I found none. I did get a good laugh though.
When I entered the obvious BITE TO EAT, I instantly heard the sound of my imaginary “Rex voice” as he groaned and typed “eat a sandwich” into his blog text. Don’t know about everyone, but for solvers expecting a good Saturday tussle, CAT’S OUT OFNTHE BAG, there wasn’t one.
Anon 12:45. Please don’t stop doing the crossword. I don’t think anyone is trying to put you down. I’ve been doing these things for about 15 years now and I still encounter puzzles where I have to struggle. It’s kind of fun. It’s puzzling. But I occasionally encounter a puzzle that is right up my alley and I comment on that. Not to say. “Wow, that was easy, any fool could solve that”, but more like, “that was totally in my wheelhouse. Lucky me.”
Figuring out a Friday is something to feel good about. Don’t bail. Some of us crush a Friday in 10 minutes and others (like me) amble through in 20 or 30. It’s not a contest, it’s a pastime.
Just so you know, we're feeling it here, too. down in the Fraser Valley. My son and I are trying to replace some fence posts today and we're working for half an hour or 45 minutes and then retreating to the house until we can breathe again. I wonder if the big orange buffoon ill throw a tariff on it.
I still don’t understand how HEEL is the answer to 35A “word with block or platform”
Lovely relatively gunk-free puzzle. Thank you.
Types of shoe heel
Anonymous 8:37 AM & 11:29 AM
Well Shortz doesn’t care in the least and i he hasn’t for years. They happen frequently in Times puzzle even crossing answers. Chris doesn’t seem bothered.
Rex has said there are so many he only complains about egregious dupes. He might have liked this one because he loves cats.
Dupes don’t bother me FWIW
Anonymous 8:51 AM
Chris, the blogger is entitled to a little humor, no?
Well, we first had ARE WE in love; it fit (in several senses).
Really easy and straightforward for a Friday. Haven't gone through all the comments yet, but assume someone may say that EAT A SANDWICH initially came to mind for 57A.
Only six 3-letter words, though. As a constant whiner about excessive counts, that was a positive feature.
@David Eisner, Mound Visit was a tremendous inspiration for 1A (as clued); IMO, it would have added some immediate (and much needed) sparkle to this puzzle.
Puzzlehoarder
TAO
The Fields medal is for math . Since there is no separate Nobel Prize in math this medal is considered an equivalent to the Nobel.
TAO has become crosswordese in the last few years. I only know of him is crosswords
Ditto the Fields medal He will show up again so it would help to remember him. Constructers were happy to find something else to clue TAO. but now they are overusing the mathematician. also.
NERF is also crosswordese It’s a brand of toy weapons which shoot NERF balls. Soft ball shaped projectiles
A stress ball is a toy made out of foam or soft fabric you can squeeze, to let some energy out
Gary I had no idea either but other commenters here enlightened me
A Christmas song Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. All of the other etc.
@Gary, I'm stunned that you have no apparent history with the phony/punny name "Olive, the other reindeer" from Rudolph.
I actually tell Christmas (Eve) "jokes" (as a dad to three kids, you know what genre I'm talking about). "Olive" has been retired due to longevity usage.
And while not a (TIL) mondegreen, here's one of my all-time faves:
What Christmas lyrics do you often hear at the psychiatric hospital?
"Do you see what I see...?"
π
I liked this one just fine. I'm a bit surprised at the somewhat harsh write-up but having spent the night once in the Dallas/FT Worth Airport with both delays *and* gate changes, I'm not sure I would have liked anything myself during those long hours.
I personally thought all the long ones were solid with some nice in-the-language material. I got CATSOUTOFTHEBAG with just the G at the end, I love when that happens. And just sometimes...sometimes, when that happens once, the momentum kicks in and it happens again and again. This was one of those times. Does that mean the puzzle was easy for a Friday? Maybe, but big whoop. I personally found it all interesting enough and had a pretty good time.
Only a couple of silly hiccups. For BORSCHT, I put the S where the C should be and... well you know. Left that in for way too long, if I got that one right on the first try, MUSICPRODUCTION and the whole SE would have fallen without too much difficulty.
This one checked the boxes for me - Thank you Jesse!
And Christopher - I hope you get to your destination soon and safe!
Little known fact, but Olive did file a defamation suit for the reckless attribution to her of slanderous remarks about Rudolph that she claims were never spoken by her and of which there is no record. Sadly, all of the other reindeer testified that she actually did laugh at Rudolph and call him names, and illegally impeded Rudolph's attempts to play reindeer games. In the end, her suit was unsuccessful. Nothing has been heard of Olive since, though there have been reports of sightings of Olive in various bars and taverns drowning her sorrow in Martinis. A sad, sad story.
And we are all getting tired of winning
There is a bar called the Beer Hog in Alabama, the website is beerhogal which I initially parsed as Beer Ho Gal.
Anonymous 12:45 PM
I agree with Les. Also even though I have been doing the Times crossword for 50 years, I am still very slow. Avg Fri. 45 min.
This one was about 40. Some people’s brains are made for fast solves. Others like me are not. Work on getting better at solving and. enjoy it. (Rex expresses his feelings about the puzzle. He never comments about other solvers.
The rule on difficulty is quite easy to follow, simply stated, and will keep you in solving. Repeat after me: this puzzle was more difficult than easier puzzles I have solved, easier than more difficult puzzles I have solve, and about the same degree of difficulty as all the rest.
That is all ye need to know.
@Les, I just checked Kamloops, the town where I grew up, and there is actually a reading above 10!... it's called "10+" (does that mean it's higher than they can measure?) They have had that reading for the last 24 hours!
Also, I just got back from the beach and it was so unbelievably easy to get a parking spot... in the shade! It's gotta be because of the smoke. There was actually a lotta people there, but with the temp in the 30s it would normally be packed solid.
Okanaganer
Hope that stuff abates. You mentioned all year how little rain your region got and I suppose fires like this were inevitable. Really sorry that Canadians have to listen to the rants of our wannabe dictator but most Americans understand the main cause of the vast increase in huge fires is global warming.
Post a Comment