1963 Kingsmen hit with a repetitive title / MON 8-17-26 / "Pink" animal of film / Boozy brunch drink / Well-dressed guy / ___ tofu (Sichuan dish) / Hot pepper named for Cuba's capital / It catches ballpark smooches
Monday, August 17, 2026
Constructor: Zhouqin Burnikel
Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium (solved Downs-only)
Theme answers:
- DAPPER DAN (16A: Well-dressed guy)
- JAM JARS (38A: Containers for fruit preserves)
- "LOUIE LOUIE" (10D: 1963 Kingsmen hit with a repetitive title)
- SITE VISITS (27D: On-location inspections)
"Louie Louie" is a rhythm and blues song written, composed, and recorded by American musician Richard Berry in 1956 and released in 1957. In 1963, a version by the Kingsmen attracted controversy over allegedly profane lyrics. The song is based on the tune "El Loco Cha Cha" popularized by bandleader René Touzet and is an example of Afro-Cuban influence on American popular music. // The song's historical impact and ongoing popularity, attested by books, articles, rankings, and hundreds of cover versions, have earned it a reputation as "a cornerstone of rock".
"Louie Louie" tells, in simple verse–chorus form, the first-person story of a "lovesick sailor's lament to a bartender about wanting to get back home to his girl". [...] On April 6, 1963, the Kingsmen, a rock and roll group from Portland, Oregon, chose "Louie Louie" for their second recording. The session took place at Northwestern Inc. Motion Pictures & Recording Studios at 411 SW 13th Avenue in Portland. The one hour session, originally intended to produce an audition tape for a summer cruise ship gig, cost either $36, $50, or somewhere in between, and the band split the cost. [...] First released in May 1963, the single was initially issued by the small Jerden label, before being picked up by the larger Wand Records in October 1963. Wand president Florence Greenberg said, "it was forced down my throat by friends. I was ashamed to put it out." Herb Alpert and A&M Records passed on the distribution opportunity, deeming it "too long" and "out of tune". [...]
Sales of the Kingsmen record were initially so low (reportedly 600) that the group considered disbanding. Things changed when Boston's biggest DJ, Arnie Ginsburg, was given the record by a pitchman. Amused by its slapdash sound, he played it on his program as "The Worst Record of the Week". Despite the slam, listener response was swift and positive.Another factor in the success of the record may have been the rumour that the vocals were intentionally slurred by the Kingsmen to cover up lyrics that were allegedly laced with profanity, graphically depicting sex between the sailor and his lady. Crumpled pieces of paper professing to be "the real lyrics" to "Louie Louie" circulated among teens. The song was banned on many radio stations and in many places in the United States, including Indiana, where a ban was requested by Governor Matthew Welsh. These actions were taken despite the fact that practically no one could distinguish the actual lyrics. Denials of chicanery by Kingsmen and Ely did not stop the controversy. The FBI started a 31-month investigation into the matter and concluded they were "unable to interpret any of the wording in the record." However, drummer Lynn Easton later admitted that he yelled "fuck" after fumbling a drum fill at 0:54 on the record. (wikipedia)
• • •
Even with the cheater squares (black squares above PIC and below ESO, which are there only to make the grid easier to fill), there's still a bit of dull crosswordese around the edges here. ESO, for instance, and PAOLO OBIES ISEE EIN ANTE IMAM IMAC INUIT UAE OSSO EYRE ASTI ATTN EASEL AHA ... would've been nice if the puzzle hadn't been so reliant on allllllll the old stuff. But then of course the themers are strong, and the longer non-themers are decent as well. HABANERO is spicy and SCREEDS are ranty and MEANDER is wandery and SCORPION is sting-y and KISS CAM, well, those are kinda gross, actually, but who doesn't like the Pink PANTHER? SO THERE! If the crosswordese is bugging you, just have a MIMOSA and listen to your favorite ROCK BAND and relax. Or you could have some MAPO tofu and listen to Chappell ROAN, that's what I'd do if I hadn't already had dinner—a delicious dinner Penelope and I made together. Here, I have the pics to prove it.
![]() |
| [that NYT Cooking page-a-day calendar is a godsend—app, shmapp, just give me paper!] |
- 16A: Well-dressed guy (DAPPER DAN) — I know DAPPER DAN exclusively as a doll that I (or my sister, or both of us) had when I was very little. I can still see his dumb felted face and rosy cheeks. Oh yeah, here we go:
![]() |
| [Well-dressed, smash-faced] |
The phrase I know for "well-dressed man" is "handsome Dan," though that's probably just because of "Tougher Than the Rest," a Bruce Springsteen song that I first heard in an acoustic version by Everything But The Girl:
["Some girls they want a handsome Dan / Or some good-looking Joe..."]
- 36D: "Sounds like a plan!" ("LET'S") — one of the tougher answers, from a Downs-only perspective. I wanted "I'M IN!"
- 11D: Martini garnish (OLIVE) — ONION also works (and fits, and starts with "O") (though w/ an ONION, it’s called a Gibson Martini, or simply a Gibson)
- 59D: Enjoy a fantasy, say (READ) — I kinda like the mild misdirection here. They hide "novel" or "story" and just let "fantasy" be a substantive adjective. So your (my) first thought for "Enjoy a fantasy" is something like "dream," but ... no.
- 33D: Breakfast beverages, for short (OJS) — kind of an OJ overload situation here, as OJ both sits alongside MIMOSA and is a key ingredient of a MIMOSA (the other being champagne or other sparkling wine).
That's all for today. See you next time.
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:
- Pop Sensation (vintage paperbacks)




















18 comments:
My five favorite original clues from last week
(in order of appearance):
1. Best Picture winner found hiding in "and the Oscar goes to..." (4)
2. They might have deposits (7)
3. Dessert often eaten before the ides of March (3)
4. Plot device (4)
5. _NIGHT (8)(8)
ARGO
BOTTLES
PIE
HOSE
HEADLESS HORSEMAN
My favorite encore clues from last week:
[Duck down] (5)
[Jordan joined it in 1984] (3)
EIDER
NBA
If your garnish is an onion, then the drink is a Gibson, not a Martini
Mostly fairly easy, but I needed a look-up to get the KOA/ROAN cross. Used the theme to verify LOUIELOUIE. Puzzle had a decided foreign flavor throughout.
Fun and challenging downs only. I didn’t know MAPO tofu, so I did an alphabet run with letters that spelled a word on LI__E, and was thrilled when the music came on at M.
Nice Monday with a cute theme. Crossing the two propers (KOA and ROAN) would be my only nit.
I also thought it was interesting that an experienced pro like C.C would drop down to AAA for what appears to be a warm up start. Maybe we’ll hear more from her later this week ?
I like to point out from time to time, because I’m so impressed, that English is not CC’s native language, and here she is, creator of 85 NYT puzzles and many more elsewhere.
(HAI)L (HAI)L, CC!
Today she sprinkled the grid with loveliness -- JAMJARS, SCREEDS, NOSHED, MIMOSA, MEANDER – and bolstered the global theme with international flavor (PAOLO, EIN, KPH, ISIS, UAE, OSLO, OSSO, HABANERO, MAPO, ESO, MARINARA, ASTI).
I liked the very short tale: I SEE / UNDO / REDO. Also lovely was the abutting schwa-enders cascading down the grid – MARINARA / MIMOSA / THETA. Then there was the sweet serendipity of the SI-SI theme answer being crossed by a backward SISI.
Terrific idea for a theme, CC, and a terrific execution. Thank you once again, for a splendid outing!
Fun CC early week puzzle - nuanced theme and well filled. I’m not a circle guy but this is the rare case they work. DAPPER DAN is outstanding.
A Man Needs a MAID
MEANDER, EMPRESS, SO THERE, MARINARA - all fun and splashy. Love the SNORE x SNIT cross. Had MAPO at Mountain House last weekend - usually stop there whenever I’m near Flushing - highly recommended.
Enjoyable Monday morning solve.
YES
Hey All !
A CC sighting! Nice to see her again.
And a Paul/PAOLO for @pablo! I'm giving you a point for that combo! (That gets you a grand total for the year ... of 3. [I'm at 7 😁])
Nice MonPuz. Missing the HAI of Japanese. (Well, missing others, too, but ...)
Always confused by the A vs U conundrum, ala today's STANK vs STuNK. Would STuNK have to be clued as "Did reek"?
Good fill, fun Theme, fairly open grid, MonPuz easy. Gets the day started off well.
Hope y'all have a great Monday!
No F's - NO AND NO!
RooMonster
DarrinV
A fun theme well done and easy on the brain. Didn’t know MAPO or ROAN but the crosses brought them out. Have recently been MEANDERing through NYT Monday puzzles from the 90’s. In terms of difficulty they are more like today’s Tuesdays and even Wednesdays but seem to lack the light spirit of the current versions.
Still on the beach using my beach brain so this took a bit longer for me than most Mondays but...YESANDYES on @Rex's high rating today. Cute theme with a revealer that LANDs well and I had fun with all the themers. What a clever idea!
There is a distinct food vibe today which I loved! I learned here that I should not refer to it as a *foodie* vibe as that connotates something or someone much different, but I'm looking at MAPO, LIME, HABANERO, JAMJARS, MINT, NOSHED, YAM, OLIVE, and MARINARA... that's a *lot* of edibles! Though don't eat the jar, just the jam...
Some nice cluing on SNORE and READ which gives this a little Monday-level crunch along with some nice longer non-themers that are fun to say if not so much fun to experience like KISSCAM, SCORPION and HABANERO.
Agree that it had a bunch of crosswordese but the theme was such an enjoyable distraction that I didn't notice them until I came here.
Thank you Zhouqin! This was a hoot!
And now on to Hugh's Monday Haiku:
With some MINT and LIME
I NOSHED a HABANERO
The YAM MUST have helped
A nice and typical easy Monday puzzle.🎈🎈🎊🎊
From one of the many great scenes in O Brother Where Art Thou: “I don’t carry Dapper Dan, I carry Fop.” “I don’t want Fop. I’m a Dapper Dan man, goddammit.”
I struggled down only but was enjoying the puzzle and running out of time so I looked at some across clues. Very nice Monday, as expected from this constructor.
As a fledgling constructor, I’m surprised UNDO-REDO was allowed in!
Funny, when I read Dapper Dan I didn't think of a doll at all (I didn't know there was one) but rather the George Clooney character in "Oh Brother Where Art Though" where he proudly announces that he's a "Dapper Dan man!" The way it smells helps the bloodhounds and the posse track him down. One of the funny bits from the film.
Hey Rex,
Thanks for the “Louie, Louie” information. I never knew it had such a scandalous past! I wonder if any Pearl Jam songs have had a similar issue because there are some lyrics that also are quite mysterious as sung by the great Eddie Vedder! I enjoyed the puzzle, a definite “Yes, yes” for a Monday.
Agree with the rest. Fantastic puzzle that was fun and breezy to fill in, with plenty of clues that made me smile. What more could you ask for a Monday?
Post a Comment