What might be out for a spell? / WED 10-9-24 / Soldier for hire, in brief / Dwarf planet with the largest mass / "I'm on vacation" email inits. / Counterpart of flow / Common clown name / Coat, as with flour / Big name in tourism guides / Jackson 5 song that begins "You went to school to learn, girl"

Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Constructor: Jeffrey Lease

Relative difficulty: Easy


THEME: LIGHTNING BOLT (37A: What's formed by connecting this puzzle's circled letters from A to F and then back to A) — four things that feature a LIGHTNING BOLT ... and then you draw a picture of a LIGHTNING BOLT, if you want (in the app, there's a little animation of the bolt being formed and flashing)


Theme answers:
  • CAMERA FLASH (18A: Photography option commonly represented by a 37-Across)
  • CHARGERS (23A: N.F.L. team whose helmet features a 37-Across)
  • GATORADE (50A: Drink with a 37-Across in its logo)
  • HARRY POTTER (56A: Character with a 37-Across on his forehead)
Word of the Day:
 "'TIS the Voice of the Lobster" (12D: "___ the Voice of the Lobster" (Lewis Carroll poem)) —
"
'Tis the Voice of the Lobster" is a poem by Lewis Carroll that appears in Chapter 10 of his 1865 novel Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. It is recited by Alice to the Mock Turtle and the Gryphon. // "'Tis the Voice of the Lobster" is a parody of "The Sluggard", a moralistic poem by Isaac Watts which was well known in Carroll's day. "The Sluggard" depicts the unsavory lifestyle of a slothful individual as a negative example. Carroll's lobster's corresponding vice is that he is weak and cannot back up his boasts, and is consequently easy prey. This fits the pattern of the predatory parody poems in the two Alice books. [...] As published in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1867):

[After the Gryphon and the Mock Turtle have sung and danced to the Lobster Quadrille, Alice mentions the poems she has attempted to recite, and the Gryphon tells Alice to stand and recite "'Tis the voice of the sluggard", which she reluctantly does] "but her head was so full of the Lobster Quadrille, that she hardly knew what she was saying ..."

'Tis the voice of the lobster; I heard him declare,
"You have baked me too brown, I must sugar my hair."
As a duck with its eyelids, so he with his nose
Trims his belt and his buttons, and turns out his toes.

[The Gryphon and the Mock Turtle interrupt with a brief exchange about what this unfamiliar version of the poem means, and then insist that Alice continue:]

I passed by his garden, and marked, with one eye,
How the owl and the oyster were sharing a pie—

[Alice's recitation is cut short by the Mock Turtle, who finds the poem "the most confusing thing I ever heard".]

• • •

Usually the themes get more interesting and complex as the week goes on, but today, after two puzzles with very clever concepts and revealers on Monday and Tuesday, we get this, which is blandly straightforward. The illustration / animation / connect-the-dots is, I guess, supposed to be some kind of bonus or value-added, but there's nothing particularly eye-popping or elegant about it, and from a solving standpoint, it does nothing. It's a cheap piece of glitz slapped on at the end to make you think something special has happened, when really all that has happened is that you've written in four things that feature LIGHTNING BOLTs, which the puzzle spells out for you, with a revealer that's merely descriptive. No wordplay, no trickery, nothing to figure out. And yes, those four theme answers do indeed feature LIGHTNING BOLTs, can't argue with that ... although I can argue with the phrase CAMERA FLASH, which felt painfully redundant. I had the FLASH part and thought "... but that's it ... the bolt represents the flash ... what is this extra stuff in front of flash?" After a couple of crosses got me the so-obvious-it's-difficult CAMERA, I thought "your clue says 'photography,' of course it's a CAMERA, yeesh." And since that was the last themer I got, that was how I ended the puzzle—at its weakest point, thematically. When I first worked out "flash," I thought the answer was going to have something to do with the DC superhero THE FLASH, whose symbol is also a LIGHTNING BOLT, I'm pretty sure (yes—see picture). Speaking of "flash," that's about how long it took me to figure out the theme:


Got CHARGERS easily and since I know very well what the CHARGERS helmet looks like, the puzzle essentially handed me the revealer right there. This left me with a "that's it?" feeling right there. The suspense, gone. All that's left is just the deflating prospect of finding other LIGHTNING BOLT things, and, of course, drawing on my puzzle like some kind of child. BRAH! Come on, BRAH! I did not hate this puzzle, but (despite the slapped-on decorative element) it felt awfully plain compared to the puzzles that preceded it this week. 


For someone who has (fairly recently) watched every Friends episode, I had an oddly awkward start today at 1D: Friend on "Friends" (MONICA) when I (mentally) wrote in PHOEBE and then tried (briefly) to convince myself that maybe RuPaul's Drag Race aired on ... PBS? (1A: "RuPaul's Drag Race" airer (MTV)). Seemed ... unlikely. I mean, maybe someday that is where it will air, but not in these times. Probably. I also tried to make the "I'm on vacation" message be BRB, which is now making me laugh—"Be right back! In just two weeks! Please hold!" But no, it's OOO ("Out of Office"), which you'd use in business settings, in texts or in business communication apps like Slack. But these opening hiccups were just that—slight delays, not real obstacles, and there's not one other part of this grid where I struggled even a little. The puzzles have been almost absurdly easy this week. 


Notes:
  • 8D: Soldier for hire, in brief (MERC) — never saw this clue (the puzzle was so easy that some of the answers just filled themselves in from crosses), but I have a question. A pronunciation question. If MERC is short for "mercenary," which has a soft "c," then do you pronounce MERC with a soft "c" as well, so that it ends up sounding like "murse," or do you go with the hard, manly hard-"c" sound, so that it sounds like ... Merck? As in "The Merck Manual"? Or is this word only for writing, and you're not supposed to actually pronounce it? It just seems awkward any way you slice it. The Chicago Mercantile Exchange Center is known as "The MERC," and there, the pronunciation is unambiguous (because of that hard "c" in "Mercantile"). Same with MERC as an abbreviation of the bygone car brand, "Mercury." I just can't imagine calling some (theoretically) tough dude a "murse." And yet "merk" also seems wrong ... [fiddles with internet] ... OK, well, Merriam-webster dot com is telling me it's "merk." Rhymes with "Herc." Or "jerk." Not a fan of this "c" sound switch, but I (obviously) don't make the rules.
  • 63A: Drink aptly found within "social event" (ALE) — condescendingly easy, especially for a Wednesday. Adds to the "child's placemat" quality of this connect-the-dots puzzle. Also, I don't know that ALE is more "apt" to be consumed at a "social event" than any other beverage. Tea coffee wine cocktails. Maybe your breakfast beverages, your milks and your juices, are not particularly social, but most of the rest of the beverage category goes that direction. I don't think of ALE as iconically "social."
  • 30D: What might be out for a spell? (WAND) — hands down, far and away the best clue in the puzzle. A real bright light in an otherwise (ironically) unflashy puzzle. 
  • 51D: Was part of a series (ACTED) — I said I had no trouble after the small trouble in the NW, but I did have some more small trouble here. "Series" was sufficiently ambiguous that I needed several crosses to realize it was a television series.
  • 39D: Common clown name (BOBO) — I just don't believe that there are "common" clown names. If you are a named clown, then your name should be unique. I mean, how many clowns can you even name? Bozo, Krusty ... Ronald McDonald? Pagliacci? How many BOBOs are there, exactly? And how many would you need in order for the name to be clown-common? Two? 

See you next time.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]

17 comments:

sharonak 6:06 AM  

I find clues like23A unpleasantly vague. How many NFL teams are there? Does only this one have a symbol on their helmets?
Quite liked a couple of long answers: 3D voted against" and 26D "pulled ahead". Surprised at myself that I did not immediately think of Harry Potter when reading the clue of 56A. But I didn't think about it at all. just realized as some o the cross filled in.

Is "brah" really word?

shaaronak 6:08 AM  

Forgot. Agree with Rex that 39D is questionable. I can't think of a clown name Bobo. Bozo yes.

Anonymous 6:09 AM  

The one thing I still can’t wrap my head around, is what does BAFEDC have to do with a lightning bolt? Why are those the circled letters? Were they just random? I’ve tried rearranging them but I don’t think any combo of them spells anything.

Conrad 6:10 AM  


Easy-Medium for me. I had a few "slight delays, not real obstacles," but they all grouped together in the East:

pEach before ZELDA for the Nintendo princess at 10D
raP before POP for the Grammy category at 28D
BOzO before BOBO for the 39D clown name
Suni(?) before SHIA at 55A. My only excuse is that I hadn't had my morning coffee yet.

No WOEs, but I did try to make a word out of the letters comprising the lightning bolt. I tried several combinations before realizing they were just ABCDEF.

Son Volt 6:10 AM  

Was this done all for the money shot? Weak - segmented grid and theme. The corners were loaded with 3s.

TONEs on Tail

A kiddie lit long and CAMERA FLASH? That’s all you can muster to support your idea? I did smile because my wife an I enjoyed some fresh, warm NAAN last night with dal last night.

On to Thursday I guess.

Commander Cody

Anonymous 6:20 AM  

The puzzle explains this. Not a mystery

Anonymous 6:22 AM  

Bimmer, not Beemer.

Anonymous 6:26 AM  

They allow you to follow the alphabetical connections. Nothing more.

SouthsideJohnny 6:45 AM  

I guess it was inevitable that they would allow technocracy to become an integral part of the solving experience. So we’re at the dawn of a promising new age in CrossWorld - and unfortunately it can go one of two ways. Think back on how wonderful and promising the internet was a couple of decades ago, and instead we got this vast wasteland overrun with social media hubs of people screaming at each other. I can envision the technocracy going the same route as many of the NYT themes - forced, contrived, gimmicky, lowest-common-denominator stuff. They just don’t seem to understand that just because you can, it doesn’t mean that you should.

Btw, that clown name clue is inane, amateur stuff that never should have made it past the editorial scrutiny.

Anonymous 7:07 AM  

You could’ve just said murk instead of Merck, it’s way simpler

Anonymous 7:21 AM  

There are 32 NFL teams and yes, only the Chargers have a lightning bolt on their helmets. Not vague at all.

David Fabish 7:23 AM  

Agreed. Beemer is a BMW motorcycle (because it is like "Beezer", which was the nickname for BSR motorcycles) Bimmer is a BMW car.

kitshef 7:24 AM  

I think of MERC as short for 'mercedes', so the clue for 15A could have been used there. On the other hand, 15A itelf is incorrect; it should be BimMER.

Funny that Rex thinks this week has been too easy; for me, it has been one of the toughest weeks in memory (which is a good thing).

Long downs are pretty weak today; enough so that I'm surprised they weren't reworked.

A. Silverstone 7:30 AM  

Each of the four theme answers was easily gettable with just a few of the letters from the down answers and without ever reading the clue.

DeeJay 7:36 AM  

Favorite clown name now is Grimace. LGM!

Andy Freude 7:36 AM  

Agreed, Southside, that clown name clue is atrocious. Curious, though: can anyone here come up with a better clue for BOBO?

JJK 7:39 AM  

Not much joy here. Since all three women on friends have 6-letter names, I needed a few crosses to land on MONICA. Once I got HARRYPOTTER, a gimme, the theme was obvious. I didn’t really pay attention to the circles.

The clown name should clearly be BOzO, not BOBO, are there clowns named BOBO?

And where/what is the planet ERIS? Have I missed some new information about our solar system?

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP