Big feller? / THU 10-17-24 / Punny summary of the battle between editor and writer / Gru's twin brother in the "Despicable Me" series / Tall and pointy, as ears / 1930s vice president John ___ Garner / Consonants articulated with the tongue against the upper teeth / Thomas Lincoln, familiarly / Hebrew name meaning "my God" / First city in Europe with paved streets (1339) / Do some grapplin' / Drug also called "rocket fuel" or "ozone," for short

Thursday, October 17, 2024

Constructor: August Lee-Kovach

Relative difficulty: On the easy side for a Thursday


THEME: ALTERCATION (56A: Punny summary of the battle between editor and writer seen in 17-, 24-, 35- and 46-Across) — ordinary phrases clued as if they related to a fight about ALTERing a piece of writing (if you're wondering how "-CATION" is "punny," You Are Not Alone)

Theme answers:
  • PERIOD DRAMA (17A: Much ado about some punctuation?)
  • RUN ON FUMES (24A: Anger over a grammatically incorrect sentence?)
  • TENSE EXCHANGE (35A: Harsh words regarding the past and the present?)
  • TITLE FIGHT (46A: Brawl over what to call a piece of writing?)
Word of the Day: Thomas "TAD" Lincoln (6D: Thomas Lincoln, familiarly) —
Thomas
 "TadLincoln (April 4, 1853 – July 15, 1871) was the fourth and youngest son of the 16th President of the United States Abraham Lincoln and his wife Mary Todd Lincoln. // Thomas Lincoln was born on April 4, 1853, the fourth son of Abraham Lincoln and Mary Todd. His three elder brothers were Robert (1843–1926), Edward (1846–1850), and William (1850–1862). Named after his paternal grandfather Thomas Lincoln, he was soon nicknamed "Tad" by his father, for his small body and large head, and because as an infant he wiggled like a tadpole. Tad's first name has occasionally been erroneously recorded as Thaddeus. // Tad was born with a form of cleft lip and palate, which caused him speech problems throughout his life. He had a lisp and delivered his words rapidly and unintelligibly. Often only those close to Lincoln were able to understand him. For example, he called his father's bodyguard, William H. Crook, "Took," and his father "Papa Day" instead of "Papa Dear." [...] On Saturday morning, July 15, 1871, Lincoln died at the age of 18 at the Clifton House hotel in Chicago. The cause of death has been variously referred to as tuberculosis, a pleuristic attack, pneumonia, or congestive heart failure. In an obituary, John Hay affectionately referred to him as "Little Tad." (wikipedia)
 • • •

[My question, exactly]

Gonna be quick about it this morning because I'm kinda angry about this puzzle's revealer, and, you know ... don't write angry. Is that common advice? It certainly should be. Definitely don't post angry, don't tweet angry, don't reply angry. So I'm gonna try to put my objection to this puzzle plainly and then just move on. See, it's one thing for me to finish a puzzle and have no idea what the theme is. That happens from time to time. Usually, I just have to look around the grid and think about it a little, and then I see it. Once in a very blue moon, I honestly don't get it, and usually I'll just tell you so. Sometimes I'll look elsewhere on the internet to see if someone else knows. But today is a special kind of frustration Perfect Storm because I finished the puzzle and thought "... I don't get it. I mean, I see the ALTER part ... and the answers are about ALTERing manuscripts, so ... that makes sense, but ... what the hell am I supposed to do with -CATION?" I sat there and looked at the letters in "CATION." I said it out loud, trying to hear what the pun was. I said the whole word, ALTERCATION, trying desperately to hear something "punny" that I was missing. In the end I went searching for answers online. And ... it seems that the CATION does nothing. I had already discovered the "punny" part in "ALTER," and then kept looking for punniness even though there was none left to find. Fruitless searching for promised punniness—I can't think of a worse way to spend my (crossword) time, especially when it's my responsibility to know this stuff, and I'm on the clock (i.e. my window for writing this blog in the morning is pretty tight). If we're dealing with drama about periods, fumes about run-ons, exchanges about tenses, and fights about titles, then why aren't we dealing with ... something, Anything, about ALTER(ing)? Or why aren't we altering ... something. We could be altering something. I really thought we were altering something... something that sounds like "CATION." The problem is, nothing sounds like CATION. Sigh.


Also, what is this Wednesday-type theme doing in my Thursday puzzle? I expect real trickery on Thursday, not just half-assed "pun" themes (CATION being the half of the ass that's not pulling its weight). You can tell the puzzle knows the theme is not tricky enough because it tries to lard the puzzle with difficulty via the cluing, which means that the theme feels pretty remedial and the solve ends up being a bit of a slog. Not Thursday-hard, just ... plodding. The fill is also less than great in many places: RDA EARLAP NANCE ADSALE INRE DRU AMI IFS OTOH ... I've seen worse, but I've seen better. The NE corner has a certain elegance and class with a BECOMING FLORENCE alongside FINESSE, and the opposite corner is at least interesting. TO DIE FOR is a fun phrase (as well as a great movie) and BATLIKE is weirdly entertaining. But between the inadequate revealer and the early-week theme type, I was a little disappointed today. 

[38D: Tall and pointy, as ears]

My big holdups today were actually quite small, in that they involved just two squares in the NE and just one in the center of the grid—dead center, in fact. I had a hell of a time parsing TENSE EXCHANGE because I had 32D: Big feller? not as AXE (you might "fell," or cut down, a tree with an AXE) but as APE (!?), which left me trying to make something out of -EEP CHANGE. In the NE, I had the Hebrew name as ARI (16A: Hebrew name meaning "my God" (ELI)). Not an exciting or interesting error, but it slowed me down a bit. Otherwise, as I say, there was nothing like the typical trickery of a Thursday puzzle on display here today, so I anticipate that people will have better-than-average solving times across the board.


Notes:
  • 15A: One who might make a comeback? (ALUM) — an ALUM might "come back" ... to their alma mater ... for a class reunion. Pretty sure that's the intended context.
  • 21A: Only city that entirely surrounds a country (ROME) — funny that that "country" is the only country with "city" in its name: VATICAN CITY. 0.19 square miles!
  • 30A: Hunting cap feature (EARLAP) — I remember the first time I saw this word (in a crossword, of course) and thought "where ... where's the 'F'? What did they do with the 'F'?"
  • 5D: What Alexander Graham Bell suggested as the standard telephone-answering greeting ("AHOY") — most of what I know about American history, I learned from "The Simpsons"; please enjoy this video montage of Mr. Burns answering the phone:



  • 12D: First city in Europe with paved streets (1339) (FLORENCE) — FLORENCE and ROME, lah-di-dah! My daughter, a theater production manager, has a new gig coordinating the building and installation of theaters on board cruise ships, and those ships are being put together somewhere just outside ... Venice. Most of her work is actually done remotely (meetings meetings meetings), so she's in the States for now, but come January ... Italy. Not a bad perk.
  • 24D: Half-baked? (RARE) — think steak. 
  • 14A: Hercule's creator (AGATHA) — think Christie
  • 27D: Consonants articulated with the tongue against the upper teeth (DENTALS) — technical linguistics terminology! I don't mind it! Has FRICATIVE ever been in the grid? No!? And not FRICATIVES either? What's the hold-up!?
See you next time.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]

66 comments:

Conrad 6:12 AM  


I wondered about the revealer too. Then I decided that the theme answers are ALTER ALTERCATIONS, ALTERCATIONS about ALTERing, so maybe not so bad? I guess still bad.

BTW, in the "ionized atom or molecule" sense, CATION is usually pronounced CAT-ion with a hard T, although I had one professor who pronounced it as in the end of 56A.

Alice Pollard 6:46 AM  

Anyone else have elfLIKE before BATLIKE? I agree w/ Rex's rant about ALTERCATION... did not work for me. And. yeah, What's an EARLAP? What the F.

Son Volt 7:07 AM  

Don’t stress Rex - there’s nothing more to it. The theme is not Thursday worthy - and the single dimension revealer is early week stuff. That said - this was well filled and pleasant enough.

FLORENCE Dore

Liked BECOMING and TO DIE FOR. EASTASIA and others were gimmes. LAGOON will always be Gilligan. Not sure about doubling down on the first name cluing with AGATHA - SANDRA.

Fine for a Tuesday.

BOATs to Build

Anonymous 7:12 AM  

Not every piece of a word or phrase has to be a pun for it to be “punny.” ALTERCATION is fine - not great, but fine.

SouthsideJohnny 7:17 AM  

EARLAPS was a new one to me, on the same row as the VP with the middle name NANCE (heck, I don’t even know Kamala’s middle name, or Pence’s, or BIDEN’s . . . ).

I liked the Wednesday theme on a Thursday - it just hung out in the background, didn’t bother anyone and didn’t turn the grid into an unrecognizable slog-fest. I’d argue that this is a textbook example of what a good theme should be like, while Rex prefers something a little more challenging (which can also frequently involve gimmickry, a slippery slope indeed).


Agree that the reveal was anticlimactic - but as I mentioned above, not a big deal at all for me. CAPERS on a bagel was a little strange looking - I’m guessing it’s part of the Lox configuration, of which I’m aware that there is a huge constituency for - I’m more of a cream cheese and chives guy, or even just toasted in butter - but for taste there is no argument.

kitshef 7:18 AM  

Four terrific theme answers and a terrible revealer. Puzzle would have been well served getting rid of the revealer and having a fifth themer, IMO.

Lesser-known sequel to Baha Men's "Who Let the Dogs Out": "Where them CATS AT".

Andy Freude 7:22 AM  

The revealer didn’t bother me one bit. Solved in pretty close to my average time for a Tuesday, which is about what this puzzle felt like.

Anonymous 7:24 AM  

Merriam-Webster: EARLAP: an archaic word for earflap, a flap of skin that covers the ear.

Half-baked? RARE. Steak is not baked.

And yeah: CATION.

Please. Give me a freakin' break.

JJK 7:25 AM  

So, I didn’t enjoy the puzzle that much, but didn’t react to the revealer the way Rex did. An ALTERCATION is a conflict of some kind and the second half of each theme answer was some type of fight or tiff or row, so… ALTERCATIONS over ALTERing writing. Seems kind of straightforward to me.

My only problem was in the middle of the grid because I wanted EARfLAP, and couldn’t get away from the fact that that seemed to me to be the only possible answer. So the little group of three downs just wouldn’t come until I finally said to myself, “Good grief, could it actually be EARLAP? With no f?” And it is, I guess I’ve heard that term but argh.

Anthony In TX 7:26 AM  

Finished 4 minutes faster than my average Thursday. Just an incredibly easy puzzle (for a Thursday) with cutesy theme clues that go nowhere with the revealer. It was fine, just not worthy of today.
Sometimes Thursdays get a little too cute for their own good, but this one just kind of sits there as you solve. Really didn't even need the revealer to get through.
Oh well. Maybe tomorrow will make our brains cramp.

Lewis 7:34 AM  

Oh, I like the subtlety of the revealer pun – ALTERCATION meaning a fight about changing things. I like the play in the theme answers, where grammar elements and arguments meet in common phrases. Therefore, I, a wordplay lover, am enamored with this theme.

I also like dwelling among the verticals in that gorgeous NE corner, with the lovely adjectival meaning of BECOMING, the images evoked by FLORENCE, and the very becoming word FINESSE. Speaking of becoming words: BALM and LAGOON.

I think it would be fun to answer the phone with “AHOY!”

I’d also like to mention that this puzzle was made by a high-schooler whose first NYT puzzle, a Saturday (!), was made when he was 14. This grid, at 72 words and 34 black squares, is interesting and junk-lite, expertly built. Color me impressed.

Thus, a happifying experience for me. Thank you, August, for a splendid outing!

Lewis 7:37 AM  

It is wonderful to be back after my Helene-related absence. I received wi-fi yesterday as well as running water (though far from drinkable). And a silver lining: Because there has been so much neighbor-helping-neighbor in our neighborhood, we’ve grown closer-knit.

ncmathsadist 8:04 AM  

At first I thought the revealer was EDIFICATION. Made more sense.

Anonymous 8:11 AM  

Quick and cute, nice one.

As RP's TENSE EXCHANGE notes, we usually see a bit more resistance from a Thursday puzzle. If this one showed up on Wednesday, I think we'd hear more praise (and the revealer would be less denigrated)

Lewis, very good to have you back. Hope to see a book about your experiences out before Christmas !

Fun_CFO 8:20 AM  

Not mentioned in his notes, but really feel the constructor wanted the revealer to be pronounced/treated like a portmanteau, like pausing in between the 2 parts, for effect. “It’s an ALTER, wait for it, CATION.” Obviously, it doesn’t help, or work since it’s a word. In any event it’s thin, and agree with @kitshef, should have tried harder to find a 5th themed with no revealer.

Easy for a Thursday. About a minute off Thursday best.

Benbini 8:23 AM  

It's probably not worth getting super mad about but yes it was disappointing for this to be it for Thursday's puzzle-y puzzle. As others have noted it's Perfectly Fine as a Tuesday or Wednesday; curious why the editors decided to put it in the Thursday slot.

RooMonster 8:40 AM  

Hey All !
*Checks Calendar*
Yes, it is indeed Thursday. Is this BECOMING the MUTANTS ThursPuz?

I have to agree on an odd Revealer to an odd Theme. I haven't read anyone yet, so if something has gone Whoosh over my head, well, I guess I'll see.

I get the (WRITING)(MAD) theme, but something is missing. Is Rex's CATIIN a synonym for Upset?

DENTALS a new terminology hee. I was looking for a specific consonant, like DELTAS or something, too short. SW corner held me up a bit.

Sorry to have been a downer, y'all. At least there's F's!

Happy Thursday!

Six F's
RooMonster
DarrinV

Bob Mills 8:41 AM  

Mostly easy, and surprisingly tame for a Thursday puzzle. I had to change "poi" to KOI to finish, because I didn't relate BATLIKE to the clue. "Don't forget it!" for ALAMO was a devilish clue that slowed me down for a while, but was a touch of genius on someone's part.

Anonymous 9:00 AM  

Happy to see a Wednesday-like theme instead of the usual tedious Thursday slog.

Anonymous 9:05 AM  

Welcome back, Lewis. It is a happifying experience for me to know that you have been able to retain your upbeat spirit in spite of what must have been a difficult few weeks, with the likely prospect of further difficulties. Thank you.

Anonymous 9:09 AM  

It's not that it has to be punny on both sides, per se, but when all the other answers are punny on both sides, then it's inconsistent. And the inconsistency is (presumably) what stuck out here.

Cliff 9:15 AM  

Yes, elfLIKE before BATLIKE

pabloinnh 9:21 AM  

First of all, welcome back @Lewis! We've missed you around here. Sorry your water is not potable but at least it should make things flushable.

Started with AHOY, which I knew was AGB's suggested greeting. When I fist heard Mr. Burns use it on the Simpsons I thought it was a reference to his age (beyond ancient) and suggested that he was there when telephones were invented. Har.

No real problems here. I met DRU and found out what ELI means. I have heard of FANART but didn't know it could cause legal issues. Knew DENTALS from a phonetics course and if OFL is awaiting fricatives, I am awaiting unvoiced fricatives.

Prize for the most straightforward clue of the week goes to "harbor sights" for BOATS. Couldn't believe that was all there was to it.

As a kid I had winter hats with EARLAPS, at least that's what we called them. Don't know if this is regional or archaic, but that's what they were.

Nice enough Thursdecito, ALK. I missed the usual Thursday tricksiness but it was A Likeable Kind of puzz. Thanks for all the fun.



Anonymous 9:30 AM  

I had catlike because cat ears are tall and pointy too. And the harbor thing kind of worked because maybe you see seal coats in a harbor? It was a stretch, haha.

Nancy 9:36 AM  

Breezy, amusing, and fun to solve -- if very easy for a Thursday. But with a real letdown of a revealer that just doesn't work. Which is too bad because the theme answers themselves are clever.

If only there were such a word as ALTERTEXT. Or ALTERDRAFT. Or even ALTERGALLEYS.

But what on earth is an ALTER CATION when there's no such thing as a CATION?

If you're going to do some punning, make it a real pun with some meat on its bones.

Still, imperfect as it is, I'm glad this was published. It was playful and lighthearted and I enjoyed it.

kitshef 9:36 AM  

Welcome back!

57Stratocaster 9:37 AM  

INRE for Regarding feels like a broken rule.

Suzie 9:48 AM  

elfLIKE and then, very briefly, catLIKE before finally BATLIKE

I also had EARcAP before EARLAP, because I've heard the former (though not as often as "earflap," which even my autocorrect knows, but never EARLAP, to my knowledge.

Nickolas Means 9:52 AM  

Dumb crosswordese in EARLAP, crossed at the critical letter with a clue for LED that’s essentially meaningless. Didn’t hate the puzzle overall, but goodness did that 30A/31D intersection need better editing.

Also, just me or is Fagliano trending away from Thursday hijinks in the puzzle? I miss getting a chewy meta-puzzle every Thursday.

Anonymous 9:54 AM  

Very disappointing Thursday.

Chip Hilton 9:56 AM  

My simple mind just went, “ALTERATION sounds like ALTERCATION. Editors alter, the 4 long answers refer to fights. Okay. Sort of punny.” Easy Thursday.

Anonymous 9:56 AM  

I didn’t think the revealer was bad. It’s not supposed to be the same as the thematic clues so it doesn’t have to be (in this case) two words that make up one new word. It would have been cool if it had done that but I don’t think it’s necessary in this case.

dash riprock 9:58 AM  

Aye, on filling ALTER and TION, 56a, Rip suspected somethin'.. 'altercution', em.. no. Something other than the obvious. But, no muss, no fuss. 'N' at 34, last to drop, intersection of FAN ART plus clue, not familiar to Rip. Elsewise, dandy. Quadfecta werx, smartly.

Now on ~5 score streak (incl. Sat. last, finished welll > midnight whilst on travel, same time zone, incl. IP, not sure why that didn't bust it, but willtakeit), no clunkers the past fortnight. Survey sez, thumbs.. up-ish to fully hard + erect, variously.

Lewis - No water, sounds a shitty affair.

Good you got it sorted.. your fan club, pulling their hairs out in your absence - Riprock, more worried about them than you.

We did learn you've been seeing 'another blog'... hMm.

Welcome back, soljah.

dash riprock 10:06 AM  

Eh.. you could be on to something. 'C' circled, read twice, with/without. But then, hedz would ecksplode, over the circle.

Nancy 10:07 AM  

Welcome back, Lewis! So glad that the very worst of what Hellene dealt you is behind you.

Whatsername 10:07 AM  

Sure did.

Greater Fall River Committee for Peace & Justice 10:09 AM  

My piano teacher had once been hired to giver a recital in Uvalde, Texas, and the organizers arranged for him to dine with Uvalde's one famous citizen of the time, former Vice President John NANCE Garner. Dinner was a roasted cow head. Mr. Garner gleefully chopped off various tasty tidbits and passed them over the table to his guest. But no eyeballs. 'Sorry, they're my favorite, I get both eyeballs!' he announced, spearing one. So the story was told to me.

egsforbreakfast 10:11 AM  

Last year we relaxed at home during our staycation. This year, we're going to refit our clothes for our changing bodies during our ALTERCATION.

What do you call a fraught gender reassignment? A TENSE(s)EXCHANGE.

Judging by my son, today's standard telephone greeting is "Hey".

I believe BOATS are a common sight at the Rye Marina (where they still let loose with a frequent AHOY).

Welcome back @Lewis. Better just drink rye for now. And thanks for a fun puzzle, August Lee-Kovach.

Whatsername 10:13 AM  

The worst of times often brings out the best in people. Nice to have you back.

Whatsername 10:34 AM  

Kind of a Wednesday-ish Thursday but in a good-puzzle-otherwise sort of way. I do have to admit, I was a bit disappointed in the lack of trickery. The revealer seemed okay though, a battle/ALTERCATION over the finished text. Makes sense to me.

RP: Exciting news about Ella’s job. Sounds like a great reason to consider a trip to ROME in your future.

Seth 10:38 AM  

I agree with OP here. Came here to say this. It's not that ALTER is punny and CATION is punny. It's that ALTER refers to the editing part of the themers, and ALTERCATION refers to the fighting part.

M and A 10:40 AM  

Luved that there 1-A CATSAT entry. Puz leads off with a precautionary spritz of J.D. Vance repellent. har

What? No CASE SENSITIVITY themer?
Agree with most that this puztheme mighta been a wee bit basic for a ThursPuz. I betcha @Muse darlin woulda kinda enjoyed it, tho. Miss her comments. Great to have @Lewis back in the saddle, tho.

staff weeject picks: MMA & BFF. Alternate MMA clue: {PPA's main squeeze??}.

fave puz thing: ROME & MORE, splatzed next to each other in the puzgrid. Primo anagram echo effect.

Thanx for the editorial battle recountin, Mr. Lee-Kovach dude. Did U battle with the editor over all the commentariat's DAYOFF concerns?

Masked & Anonymo5Us


**gruntz**

Anonymous 10:50 AM  

Another example of stand-in editorial failure. Nothing wrong with the puzzle - on a Wednesday. Shortz would run it on Wednesday. Any word on his return?

Hack mechanic 10:58 AM  

So wanted it to be interdiction.
Mr Sulu before Lt, Elf like before Bat, Meh otherwise

Mark K 10:59 AM  

The revealer is a play on PUBLICATION. So a Publication where the editor/author fight would be - an ALTERCATION. At least that's how I saw it. Helps my wife is a journalist/editor.

Carola 11:01 AM  

@kitshef 7:18 - A nod of agreement for your first two sentences, which for me put the puzzle in a nutshell, and a true LOL for your third.

@pabloinnh - I've been easing my husband, who has become pretty solid with the Mini, into the regular puzzle, and when I got to the "Harbor sights" clue, I imagined him wanting to spring immediately for BOATS, with my then telling him, no, that's too obvious for a late-week puzzle. But then....

@Rex, thank you for the Weekly World News's sensational revelation (by "scientists"). My favorite headline from supermarket-line days of yore was "Freak Rainstorm Makes Six Mummies Rise up and Walk."

Otherwise - I really liked the creative repurposing of the four grammatical elements; with PERIOD DRAMA my favorite - not your everyday phrase and funny to imagine in its new editorial context.....EARLAP and I. are old friends, though I don't remember how we met.

Carola 11:03 AM  

It's good to see you!

jae 11:08 AM  

Easy-medium works for me.

I did not know FLORENCE, AHOY, and DENTALS.

Erasure: PERIOD piece before DRAMA (before I checked the crosses).

I thought this was clever and amusing, but I agree with @Rex et. al. about the revealer, liked it.

@Lewis - nice to have you back!

Anonymous 11:09 AM  

Well, knowing that the constructor was a high school student I give them big props… However, altercation does fall a bit flat

JC66 11:25 AM  

Welcome back @ Lewis. Glad things are finally improving.

Anonymous 11:26 AM  

I was served a filet. It was cooked just the way I liked it, medium-rare going on medium. It was juicy and tasty. It had a bit of gristle which I cut out quickly and discarded. Great steak!

This is mathgent. Blogger doesn't want to print my name today
.



Gary Jugert 11:42 AM  

La superluna del cazador es esta noche.

They turned off the heat around these parts and my sweatshirts are packed in moving boxes wrapped around random fragile stuff I thought would be worth keeping, and so the really bright almost full moon last night mocked me as I traipsed along in a T-shirt freezing on the last dog walk of the evening. Tonight the moon will be a full on spotlight laughing at me -- as was this puzzle. Either it was a really hard Wednesday, or a themed Friday, but this was no Thursday. I needed a fleece jacket after being froze out on this one.

TAD, NANCE, and SANDRA protected the puzzle from me and they won. I think the theme answers are meant to amuse, but the "punny" reveal doesn't seem punny. The rest of the puzzle was so weird with such crazy humor I kinda hated it while completing it, but really appreciate its brash oddness in retrospect.

Please, Florence and your paving. Call ROME and ask them about building 50,000 miles of brick roads by hand over a millennium starting in 300 BC. Honestly.

I had [No pro] as MOM forever. My mom was a great YES-er as long as I was good.

There are a lotta wrong pointy ear types: ELF, then CAT, before BAT. I'm buying a bat house to put on our new house, making it a fun house.

Propers: 8
Places: 6
Products: 1
Partials: 7
Foreignisms: 2
--
Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 24 of 72 (33%)

Funnyisms: 9 🤣

Uniclues:

1 Meeting of anachronists.
2 A KO.
3 That following what.
4 Hit list.
5 Play hockey without a mouthguard.
6 Me day after day.

1 PERIOD DRAMA CON
2 TITLE FIGHT NAP
3 IFS ALTERCATION
4 AGENDA TO DIE FOR
5 STIR DENTALS
6 BECOMING UNRIPE

My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: So I was working in the garden and yada yada yada. DOT DOT DOT STUNG.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jb129 11:47 AM  

A very underwhelming Thursday - more like a hard Tuesday or medium Wednesday. But then I'm just glad it wasn't a Rebus Thursday :)

Anonymous 11:51 AM  

I had BOATS in first but then erased it because I was so much more confident in ELFLIKE than BOATS being correct.
I also had EARLAP early from crosses and had mentally noted that spot as being the first place to check when I didn’t get the happy music at the end. What the F indeed.

Rob 11:54 AM  

Catlike also works because REM taught us about harbor coats! https://www.google.com/search?q=REM+harborcoat&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari&safe=active#

Steve 12:34 PM  

WTF was exactly my reaction as well. This puzzle was garbage.

Anonymous 12:34 PM  

Thanks so much for the Mr Burns clip on "Ahoy" - I literally laughed out loud!

Amy 12:37 PM  

Gotta love the normalization of editor-writer disputes. Too bad there wasn’t an answer / clue that said: “Don’t change a thing!”

sharonak 12:51 PM  

I'm with JJK and others who thought "altercation" was fine. the whole word was a pun on the arguments(altercations) about things to be "altered".
Had a brief hang up like OFL in the upper middle with ape a big feller. But chuckled when I realized it was "axe"
Actually I smiled at a number of things in this puzzle. 17A and 24A were the themes that amused me most. I also smiled at 2D "What is to be done" when it was revealed by some crosses . Somehow "to die for" came with only a couple of crosses in place and I liked seeing it.
Was interested to learn that Florence was the first city to have paved streets and sort of wanted to learn more.
Was surprised at 5D
Quite a fun puzzle though it did seem a bit easy for a Thursday.

jberg 12:57 PM  

I sort of saw what was going on when I got FUMES and saw they were something you could RUN ON; but I didn't notice until the reverse revealer (i.e., with the actual revealing coming from the clue to 56-A, rather than from the answer) that the common element was the editing process. That made it a lot tighter, to my eye.

A lot of the difficulty in this puzzle comes from cluing that is either ambiguous or very obscure--at least, obscure to folks like me who would never dream of watching Jurassic Park. I knew Abe had a son named TAD, but no idea that said Tad was actually Thomas, and there are so many other Lincolns that I just let it come from the crosses. And I'm guessing a lot of you didn't know John NANCE Garner, famous for saying that the vice-presidency wasn't worth "a bucket of warm piss." And what on earth is an ISOPID? I don't know what a pill bug is either, but at least I've heard of it. Hmm... it's a crustacean with 7 pairs of legs, although the Greek roots should give us "equal legs." Go figure.

My ears were elf-LIKE, then cAT-LIKE before BAT-LIKE. And I bet I wasn't the only one to have as to before IN RE.

I wouldn't call the middle ages an era, I'd call them an age. The Tudor Era was an era, not nearly so long. And what is a "lox bagel?" I've never heard anyone say that -- I think the clue means a bagel with lox on it. I've never seen one with CAPERS either, but I can see how that might be good.

I seem a bit peevish today. I'll go read what the rest of you had to say, maybe that will provide some BALM.

jberg 1:07 PM  

It's different from the other themers because it's the revealer. It's a punny way of saying an ALTERCATION about altering.

jberg 1:11 PM  

Yes, welcome back! We've really missed knowing how many double letters there are! In this puzzle, there is a DD in PERIOD DRAMA and an EE in TENSE EXCHANGE. Do those count?

Anonymous 1:20 PM  

How about NAN for toddlers need leading to UNENDS for overturns…too much of a stretch?

okanaganer 1:43 PM  

Yes, this was a little too mild for Thursday. But at least there was much less nameification of the clues here, which was nice.

A few typeovers: TERRIFIC before TO DIE FOR, RATLIKE before BATLIKE and don't ask me why I thought rats had pointed ears. For "Use a spoon" I thought: you can't fool me, puzzle, and confidently put in FISH instead of STIR.

Welcome back Lewis! Clean water is nice, but internet is essential.

Anonymous 1:57 PM  

Okay, think roast beef

Eniale 2:18 PM  

M-W gives the etymology; never knew about leappa....

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP