Tech product that's promised but never delivered / WED 12-13-23 / Business-generating partner at a law firm / Hit 2009 film with a hit 2022 sequel / 1979 Robert John hit that repeats "I don't wanna see you cry" / Social dance in 3/4 time

Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Constructor: Alex Eaton-Salners

Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium to Medium


THEME: WATER CYCLE (55A: Natural process suggested by the starts of 17-, 24-, 26-, 45- and 47-Across) — first words of themers form the cycle: OCEAN -> VAPOR -> CLOUD -> RAIN -> RIVER:

Theme answers:
  • OCEAN SPRAY (17A: Co-op responsible for more than two-thirds of cranberry production in North America)
  • VAPORWARE (24A: Tech product that's promised but never delivered)
  • CLOUD NINE (26A: Hog heaven)
  • RAINMAKER (45A: Business-generating partner at a law firm)
  • RIVER CARD (47A: It might make or break a hand in Texas hold 'em)
Word of the Day: PSALTER (21A: Book of hymns) —

[from the Psalter of Saint Louis]
psalter is a volume containing the Book of Psalms, often with other devotional material bound in as well, such as a liturgical calendar and litany of the Saints. Until the emergence of the book of hours in the Late Middle Ages, psalters were the books most widely owned by wealthy lay persons. They were commonly used for learning to read. Many Psalters were richly illuminated, and they include some of the most spectacular surviving examples of medieval book art.

The English term (Old English psalteresaltere) derives from Church Latin. The source term is Latinpsalterium, which is simply the name of the Book of Psalms (in secular Latin, it is the term for a stringed instrument, from Ancient Greekψαλτήριον psalterion). The Book of Psalms contains the bulk of the Divine Office of the Roman Catholic Church. The other books associated with it were the Lectionary, the Antiphonary, and Responsoriale, and the Hymnary. In Late Modern English, psalter has mostly ceased to refer to the Book of Psalms (as the text of a book of the Bible) and mostly refers to the dedicated physical volumes containing this text. (wikipedia)

• • •

***ATTENTION: READERS AND FELLOW SOLVERS IN SYNDICATION (if it's currently mid-January, that's you!)*** : Hello from the first properly wintry week of the season in Central New York! It's January, which means it's time once again for my annual week-long pitch for financial contributions to the blog. Every year I ask readers to consider what the blog is worth to them on an annual basis and give accordingly. So ... 17 years ... not bad. At this time last year, I was recovering from COVID and still dealing with the very fresh grief brought on by the untimely death of my cat, Olive. I was very grateful for the blog at that point, since it grounded me in routine and gave me a place where I could lose myself in a pastime I love, and share that love with others. OK, yes, true, I don't always *love* crosswords. Sometimes it's more hate-love or love-hate or "Why are you being like this, you stupid puzzle!?" It ain't all positive vibes, as you know. But I realized last year that part of what makes this blog so fun for me, and what makes it a solace to many readers, is the sense of commiseration it provides. Sometimes the puzzle thrills you, and maybe I agree with you, and maybe I don't; and sometimes it infuriates you, and maybe I agree with you, and maybe I don't. But either way, the blog is here; it's *always* here. You get to have your feelings validated, or you get to shake your head at my errant judgment and often breathtaking ignorance, but either way, you get to share an experience that's an important part of your daily life, and maybe you learn something new. Above all, I hope you feel that there is a real person with a real life and real emotions and (very) real human flaws who's telling you what it was *really* like for him to solve the puzzle. I never wanted to be an expert, offering some kind of bloodless know-it-all advice and analysis. I wanted blood. Blood on the page. There will be blood! ... But also, music videos. And Words of the Day. And, if you hang around long enough, cat pictures. Like this one:


This is Ida (she put herself in the bin, I swear). Ida is the happy sequel to last year's grief. At the beginning of January, I was mourning. By the end of January, I was still mourning, but now I had a new companion (as did my other cat, Alfie, who *really* needed one). Why am I talking about my cats? Because they are constant, they give shape and rhythm to my day, and I love them even if they sometimes drive me crazy. Just like crossword puzzles! (See that! Segue! This is why you should pay me the big bucks!) 

However much I love writing this blog (and I do, a lot), it is, in fact, a job. This blog has covered the NYTXW every day, without fail, for 17 years, and except for two days a month (when my regular stand-ins Mali and Clare write for me), and an occasional vacation or sick day (when I hire substitutes to write for me), it's me who's doing the writing. Every day. At very ... let's say, inconvenient hours (my alarm goes off most mornings at 3:45am). Over the years, I have received all kinds of advice about "monetizing" the blog, invitations to turn it into a subscription-type deal à la Substack or Patreon. But that sort of thing has never felt right for me. I like being out here on Main, on this super old-school blogging platform, just giving it away for free and relying on conscientious addicts like yourselves to pay me what you think the blog's worth. It's just nicer that way. 

How much should you give? Whatever you think the blog is worth to you on a yearly basis. Whatever that amount is is fantastic. Some people refuse to pay for what they can get for free. Others just don't have money to spare. All are welcome to read the blog—the site will always be open and free. But if you are able to express your appreciation monetarily, here are three options. First, a Paypal button (which you can also find in the blog sidebar on the homepage):

Second, a mailing address (checks can be made out to "Michael Sharp" or "Rex Parker"):

Rex Parker c/o Michael Sharp
54 Matthews St
Binghamton, NY 13905

The third, increasingly popular option is Venmo; if that's your preferred way of moving money around, my handle is @MichaelDavidSharp (the last four digits of my phone are 4878, in case Venmo asks you, which I guess it does sometimes, when it's not trying to push crypto on you, what the hell?!)

All Paypal contributions will be gratefully acknowledged by email. All Venmo contributions will get a little heart emoji, at a minimum :) All snail mail contributions will be gratefully acknowledged with hand-written postcards. I. Love. Snail Mail. I love seeing your gorgeous handwriting and then sending you my awful handwriting. It's all so wonderful. My daughter (Ella Egan) has once again designed my annual thank-you cards, and once again those cards feature (wait for it) cats! My cats: Alfie & Ida. This year, an elegant set of five!



These really capture the combination of beauty and goofiness that I love in cats (and puzzles, frankly). I'd say "Collect All Five!" but every snail-mail contributor will get just one and (hopefully) like it! Please note: I don't keep a "mailing list" and don't share my contributor info with anyone. And if you give by snail mail and (for some reason) don't want a thank-you card, just indicate "NO CARD." Again, as ever, I'm so grateful for your readership and support. Please know that your support means a lot to me and my family. Now on to today's puzzle... 

• • •

Seems more like a Monday theme, with the difficulty amped up by cluing, and possibly the mere presence of VAPORWARE, which ... if I've heard it (and I think I have), I had no idea what it meant. I assumed it was a real thing, not a promised but undelivered thing. Maybe something that vapor ... izes ... something else. Weird how misty words attach themselves to computing ... The Cloud ... VAPORWARE ... OK, so, just two misty words. Anyway, the precedent of "The Cloud" made me assume VAPORWARE was also an actual, not theoretical thing. I actually didn't read the whole clue there. I got as far as "Tech product" and my (SAD) EYES glazed over and I just worked crosses til something vaguely producty showed up. So, as I say, this one possibly-less-well-known themer may have made the theme seem more midweek-worthy. But in concept, it's a Monday. First words do what? They do this. The end. And yeah, that sure looks like the cycle. Puzzle does what it says it does—takes you from OCEAN to (fresh) WATER, which gives life to plants and us and all the assorted organisms and critters. The themer set is lively enough, and there are some bright spots in the fill, particularly the vivid and apt juxtaposition of DEAD RUN and OVERDO IT. The SE corner is a bit of a mess (more below), but overall, while I was never IN AWE OF this one, I also didn't CRINGE much either (42D: [Oooh, that's embarrassing]). Felt like a very serviceable / passable / acceptable Monday, aired on a Wednesday, with Wednesday-level cluing. 


But yeah that SE corner was less than great. So, I love "SAD EYES," it gives me big childhood radio-listening nostalgia, but it's ... not exactly current. And it wasn't exactly a legendary song. And since you've already gone back to "The Waltons" in this puzzle (58A: Will of "The Waltons"), "SAD EYES" feels like a step too far into the pop culture past. I would probably not have commented on it, would've found it largely unremarkable, were it not stuck in an already struggling corner. Nobody likes SESH. Nobody likes SLRS, and (worst of all) TAKE A CUE ... haven't seen an answer with this much "EAT A SANDWICH" energy in a long time. It's so bad on its own. You TAKE (your) CUES from... someone, maybe. But TAKE A CUE, oof. It kinda wants to be TAKE A TIP and kinda wants to be TAKE CUES and ends up in this weird no-man's-land, where it looks ... right-ish, but ... it just doesn't want to stand alone, as a phrase. It's not great. That whole corner just feels GREASY, and the problems all start with TAKE A CUE, since it is the pillar of its community. It should be the best thing in there, but instead: the opposite. 


Today, we have the glorious NYTXW debut of [drum roll] ... TV-Y! (56D: "Sesame Street" rating) ... [crickets] ... [more crickets] ... [still more] ... Me, after writing in TV-G and realizing it was wrong. "Great, another TV rating to gunk up the grid, huzzah." I did appreciate the puzzle's ANTIWAR sentiment, even if it did come in the form of a caricature of a '60s peacenik (again, the puzzle demonstrates a predominantly half-century-old cultural frame of reference) (25D: Like the sentiment of a "Drop Acid, Not Bombs" poster). I had trouble in only a few places today. The first place was square one, where I took one look at 1D: Furrow former and blanked, then took a look at the next clue, 2D: Cray cray, and thought "Oh god, there's some dumb clue-based theme today where both words in the clues alliterate or something, why me, lord!?" (P.S. no one says "Cray cray" any more, please stop, total CRINGE). Turns out my fears were misplaced. I just couldn't make sense of "former" in [Furrow former]. I thought "former" as like "onetime" or "ex," and I kept thinking "Furrow" was "Farrow," so [Furrow former] = [Farrow former] = [Farrow ex] = ??? ... SINATRA?  LEVIN? All these thoughts crossed my mind before I'd entered a single thing confidently in the grid. Eventually I just tested PLOD (1A: Wearily put one foot in front of the other) and then LOCO and eventually PLOW showed up and then I thought, "Oh, right, former. Something that forms ... something else. That is a word, isn't it?" 


Other hiccups included PSALMER at 21A: Book of hymns despite being a medievalist by training and having seen and read about PSALTERs plenty. And then I found the SW corner a little hard to get into because I wanted the [Barrel maker] to be a COOPER (because that's what barrel makers are called), and I couldn't for the life of me figure out the [Slangy summons] at 42-Across. So I abandoned that corner and left it for the end. Then, when I finally got in there, like a sucker, I stepped right in the AVOIDS / AVERTS / EVADES kealoa* (44D: Sidesteps). Seriously, cycled through them all, in that order. Finished the puzzle with BREWERY. Speaking of brewing: coffee. Now. Yes. See you tomorrow.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld 

P.S. Since I said yesterday that I would post pics of your pets in holiday settings if you sent them to me, I have been ... well, “inundated” may be an exaggeration, but only slightly. I'm gonna be posting Holiday Pets all month. Not Mad! Here's Janine's late pupper Cinnamon, followed by Ian's 12yo cockapoo Dobby, who enjoys, well, sleeping 



Lots more where these came from. Keep 'em coming. 

*kealoa = a pair of words (normally short, common answers) that can be clued identically and that share at least one letter in common (in the same position). These are answers you can't just fill in quickly because two or more answers are viable, Even With One or More Letters In Place. From the classic [Mauna ___] KEA/LOA conundrum. See also, e.g. [Heaps] ATON/ALOT, ["Git!"] "SHOO"/"SCAT," etc.  


[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]

86 comments:

Steve M 5:14 AM  

Super easy one for me that, about half my usual time, aided by some lucky early guesses (CMERE)
Only thing that caused me a problem was the bottom right where I had ROME in early and genuinely thought they’d misspelled YEOH for a minute or two!

Conrad 5:41 AM  


Only one overwrite but it was serious enough to keep me from getting the happy music: AVAmAR (11D) x PSALmER (21A). In my working days, I used a backup product called Avamar, so that answer looked good despite the clue, and I'm not all that familiar with PSALTER.

@Rex, I hope you get your "fritzing" problem resolved!

SouthsideJohnny 7:00 AM  

PSALTER was new here too - sounds like what you would use on your steak. I don’t get the emoji / LOVE situation - I solved on the app. Do other platforms have an actual emoji in the clue?

It also doesn’t help that WATER CYCLE doesn’t mean anything to be - I might have taken a stab at Weather CYCLE if it fit. Not a terrible puzzle, but on the “meh” side (interest-wise) for me.

Docmarker 7:03 AM  

30 across is technically correct yet a poor clue/answer. Arteries carry oxygenated blood to the body and veins carry deoxygenated blood back to the lungs. My two cents.

Anonymous 7:11 AM  

2nd on the LOVE emoticon. No idea

kitshef 7:14 AM  

A perfectly nice little theme, and a good, professional grid. Could have used more trickery in the cluing.

Son Volt 7:22 AM  

Neat midweek puzzle. The theme is slightly more nuanced than a Monday and the overall fill has some late week depth. Liked the descending nature of the themers and how LEVEE is holding back WATER at the bottom.

Totally digging the Syd Straw cut. PSALTER is so wacky it works. The PLOD x DEAD RUN x CLOUD NINE group is wonderful.

Enjoyable Wednesday morning solve.

Richmond Fontaine

Mack 7:23 AM  

Very easy. No major hiccups that couldn't be quickly solved by crosses. I'd call it inoffensive, except for two major perpetrators:
1.) VEINs are not pathways for oxygenation. If anything, they are pathways away from oxygenation. I suppose in a very vague sense it kind of works, but in a normal, real sense, it does not.
2.) BREWERYs don't make barrels. They make beer.

@Rex: TAKE A CUE from is a perfectly normal, common phrase. No problem with it as clued.

Andy Freude 7:23 AM  

So…a PSALTER is a book of Psalms, not hymns. That’s my morning moment of pedantry.
Agree with Rex that the SE was a mess. The only thing about it I liked was its endorsement of one of my favorite singers: SADE YES!

Adam T 7:26 AM  

I absolutely could not parse SAD EYES to save my life. I got it into my head that the final word had to be YES, and settled first on *SAGE YES which felt very, very wrong. Had to switch to SADE YES to get the music to play, and still didn't see it (I figured it was an enthusiastic tribute to the Smooth Operator singer?)

mmorgan 7:48 AM  

I was so, so, so sure that a Furrow former was a brOW….

Lewis 7:48 AM  

Oh, yay on this! Big yay! It felt good to complete the grid without knowing VAPORWARE and RIVER CARD, and not knowing this meaning of RAINMAKER. On top of that, these struck me as worthwhile things to learn.

Then WATER CYCLE! I learned about it in elementary school, but I haven’t thought about it since then, and didn’t remember it exactly. After solving this puzzle, when I looked at a water cycle diagram (by Googling it), it transported me back to my kid mind – how it actually felt to be me back then – and how I thought this cycle was cool then. (I still find it cool now.) Thus, a reawakening, a special moment.

So, Alex, your simple box of letters brought fruitful learning and some sweet déjà vu. To which I respond: Wow! And a big thank you!

pabloinnh 7:53 AM  

A good morning for learning things (not PSALTER, I knew that one), viz. VAPORWARE and RAINMAKER as clued. It may also be the day that finally makes me remember Ms. YEOH, but probably not. Also found out that AVON is based in London. Who knew?

Did the -AGE thing for ADE (hi @Adam T), unfamiliar with "Sad Eyes", but SAG EYES sounds like an interesting medical condition.

Agree with the "barrel maker" misdirect, unless there's a BREWERY that makes its own barrels.

Wanted SLOG for 1A and was delighted to have it be PLOD instead, which lead to PLOW and that reminded me of the great Stan Rogers song "The Field behind the PLOW", which is one of the best folk songs ever written, says me.

I thought this was a very nice Wednesday indeed, AES. An Elementary School memory of seeing those WATERCYCLE charts on the bulletin board, and thanks for all the fun.



Bob Mills 7:54 AM  

Got it done without cheating, but it took longer than it should have. I had (furried) "brow" for 1-Down instead of PLOW, and "lira" instead of EURO (I knew Will Shortz wouldn't allow a simple answer like "Rome" for Italy's capital).

DEADRUN is clued here as a verb, but it's only an adjective/noun construct to me. I'd be interested in others' comments on this. Would anyone ever say, "I had to dead run it to win the race." Don't think so.

Good puzzle. Not overly difficult, but challenging enough to be enjoyable.

Joe R. 8:14 AM  

I, too, was confused by the lack of emoticon in the LOVE clue, so I looked at the puzzle on the website. There it renders properly, with the emoticon <3. I’m guessing the stupid app didn’t like the open bracket. Nice work, NYT.

Anonymous 8:20 AM  

CMERE??????? Why is this acceptable?

JonB3 8:20 AM  

I had for 3D ("Exert oneself until there's nothing left") - go all out - which fit just fine and worked with SIT for 31A and CLOUDNINE for 26A. But alas, the eraser (I still solve on paper with pencil) came out soon thereafter.

Bruce R 8:22 AM  

@Mack,

You beat me too it. Coopers make barrels, breweries make beer.

ncmathsadist 8:22 AM  

I have never heard anyone in earshot of me say SESH. However, I have sneered as a proposed computing product and called it VAPORWARE. Yep, VAPORWARE is a thing and it's been around a while.

Anonymous 8:32 AM  

When I finished this AM I thought "Well, that was an easy Wednesday" but then checked the time - average mid week (5 flat). So looking back, I did see little stumbles in almost every area that overall provided a bit of a challenge.

Didn't have a problem in the SE, but had to come back to VAPORWARE after the reveal.

WATER CYCLE stirred up a pic from a grade school science book from 50 years ago which clearly showed the exact progression outlined in the puzzle. Thanks for the memory!

Figured another health care provider would notice the VEIN issue, although I'd point out the pulmonary vein brings oxygenated blood to the heart to pump to our brains (so we can solve puzzles!).

RooMonster 8:47 AM  

Hey All !
I worked at OCEAN SPRAY for a year in the latish 2000's.
Never heard of the concept of VAPORWARE. Thought it was some kind of computer program thing that never came to fruition.
I've been on CLOUD NINE maybe twice in my life. Maybe.
RAINMAKER is also the rich person tossing money out of their hand with their other hand one at a time. "Make it Rain!"
Got screwed by a RIVER CARD or two before in my (short) Poker time.
Is a WATER CYCLE a steam motorcycle? Har.

Almost two separate puzs by the Blockers placement. Odd clue (to me) on CVS. Give me the drug chain or nothing. Is CRINGE still a thing? Getting too old to pay attention to what's in or not. Get off my lawn. 😁

Good WedsPuz, gonna go back to SB, which is further cementing the fact my little gray cells are abandoning the ole brain. Shoot, missed simple, simple words that are in a million SBs. Egads.

TVY? What's the Y? Youth? TVG, TVE. Now TVY. Next, TVDSTC (Don't Sit Too Close).

Happy Wednesday.

Two F's
RooMonster
DarrinV

JD 9:15 AM  

Easy Wednesday, loved the Water Cycle. Loved Psalter cause I knew it. SE corner didn't start well with with Sag Eyes before correcting BlockAge to BlockAde,(first thought I have when I look in the mirror in the morning is that maybe I should have some work done so it was just there). Rome for Euro, duh. Do celebs collab about merch in a Sesh these days?

Some pushback in the SW corner because my brain told me Coopers make barrels, Brewers fill them with beer, but it all worked out in the end.

Marissa 9:24 AM  

My puzzle won’t open on the NYT app. Even after logging out & back in, deleting & redownloading the app, no joy. I came here to see if anyone else mentioned that they were also having issues. It’s *extra* hard to solve when it won’t open!

Anonymous 9:39 AM  

Barrel is a synonym for keg, which breweries produce. If I say “I made a cup of coffee,” I filled the cup, I didn’t create the cup.

Anonymous 9:40 AM  

<3 makes a sideways heart shape, very common as an emoticon before emojis got more sophisticated. I still use it frequently!

Liveprof 9:41 AM  

SAG EYES is a thing, especially at my age. The bags under my eyes are so big, I get charged for them on airplanes.

KC 9:42 AM  

Same thing for me!!

Nancy 9:45 AM  

I kept looking at my newspaper to make sure it wasn't Saturday. I found the NW and SE corners really, really hard, but for different reasons. Let's begin with the SE. WATER what? To figure it out, I had to know -- in no particular order -- a Latin singer, a song title, and an actress -- all of them criss-crossing each other. I didn't know any of them.

By then I had the OCEAN; the VAPOR (There's such a thing as VAPORWARE??), CLOUD (I'd much rather be on CLOUD NINE than in Hog Heaven, to tell you the truth); the RAIN; and the RIVER. I was looking for CONDENSATION as the revealer. Or maybe a revealer containing the word MIST.

Is going from OCEAN to RIVER, via VAPOR, CLOUD and RAIN, really a WATER CYCLE?

But let's get back to the NW corner. Of all the stupid symbols I've ever seen, this has to be the most peculiar. Why do those two typed figures = LOVE? (I had the V and could only think of ENVY, but it kept not working.) Look, I don't know emoticons any more than I know emojis. Here's my entire emoticon vocabulary:

:) Smile
:D Very big smile
:( Frown

That's all, folks. But I do believe that emojis and emoticons are taking the place of perfectly good vocabulary. So, if you love me, please use the word LOVE and not <3. Thanks so much!

I will leave you with the immortal words of Alan Jay Lerner, riffing on Shaw:

"By rights they should be taken out and hung
For the cold-blooded murder of the English tongue."





Sam 9:50 AM  

There was…no emoticon >:(

Kid Phoneme 9:55 AM  

Had to Google Geer, and misspelled NiET--so a mildly CRINGE performance. Basically, the SW was a nadir for me.

The clues felt a bit off the nose today. Some of that may be from sour grapes over tricksy clues that took me for a ride. The BREWERY cluing is one instance already mentioned. There's a dissonance between venerating and "IN AWE OF" for me, like two guitar strings that are so close to being in tune but aren't. And does anyone actually use the word former as a verb? It's not in the dictionary. Maybe if you add a hyphen so it's a form-er?

Anyway, I'm just whining. It was a solid puzzle with a good theme. Got to learn what a psalter is, and maybe I'll remember how to spell nyet next time.

Anonymous 9:55 AM  

The new app sucks and is ruining the experience for me. No heads-up that it’s a complete redesign, no choice to accept or not. If you get it to open, watch out for the incomplete clue at 14A. Unacceptable. It’s their app.

Lewis 10:04 AM  

Looking for an explanation, please. SESH makes me CRINGE, but not “mesh”. “Ush” makes me CRINGE, but not “ash”. Why?

Anonymous 10:17 AM  

I saw vaporware and immediately knew Rex would comment on not knowing a term that's been around for decades in the computing world. Three months in an office would plug a big hole in OFL's knowledge (A/B Test, anyone?)

Nancy 10:19 AM  

@Lewis (10:04) -- Because you use language so beautifully, Lewis, and too many others, alas, do not. The shortcuts USH and SESH are as ugly as they are lazy. ASH and MESH are real words -- so they're not going to make anyone angry.

Mack 10:32 AM  

Nope. Veins carry blood to the heart. That's it. Sometimes it's deoxygenated blood, sometimes it's oxygenated.

RooMonster 10:36 AM  

@Lewis
Because the CRINGE ones are short for an actual word? Whereas the others are actual words.

RooMonster Don't Shortchange Me Guy

tea73 10:37 AM  

@Andy Freude My dictionary says a psalm is "a sacred song or hymn" so I'm good with the PSALTER definition. I'm not as tech averse as OFL and I always get a chuckle out of the term VAPORWARE. (Does the self-driving automobile count?) Took me a while to sort out the SW as, I too, started with "avoids" and didn't think of Breweries for a while. (The slant rhyme of clues here.) Nor have I ever seen CMERE written like that. Never heard of GEER. I'm old enough just didn't watch TV when I was young. Also got tangled up in the NW with OVERDOes making it hard to see VEIN, luckily I realized (eventually!) that it had to be SIT. It felt crunchy to me, but the NYT app says I did it faster than average.

egsforbreakfast 10:46 AM  



When Jules wrote 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, I said GOVERN! (Only later did I discover that it's Verne).

Trump lusts after Ivanka and doesn't acknowledge the existence of Tiffany and Baron. In each case, you could say that he DESIRES them.

I could have criticized this puzzle, but I didn't want to pour PSALT on the wounds.

My wife was Buck NUDE, so I says "CMERE, DEERE." "Don't BET on it, LOVE" she snorts. After that she EVADES me for about 40 MINUETS on the DEADRUN until I SIT and AGE.

I can't argue with Rex on the level of the theme here. I still had a good time, so thanks, Alex Eaton-Salners.

Whatsername 10:58 AM  

Surprised to see so many calling this super easy. It left me feeling the opposite of CLOUD NINE. Partly because of the proper names and trivia and partly because of things I just didn’t know, such as RIVER CARD, VAPORWARE, PSALTER, WATER CYCLE and CV as a synonym for resume. And I agree with Nancy (as usual) about the names in the SE, particularly that obscure old song title! I guess if you knew the answer to the revealer it wasn’t a problem but it was just a big nest of SNARES for me.

Janine and Ian: Love the pictures of your pups today.

jae 10:59 AM  

Easy. No real problems with this one. No erasures and no WOEs, a very whooshy solve. Fun theme answers with a fairly smooth grid…Junior High science works for me, liked it.

JC66 11:01 AM  

@Bob Mills

Maybe SPRINT is a noun in the clue for 4D.

Carola 11:07 AM  

The phrase WATER CYCLE itself might be a little ho-hum but not its components here - I thought those five theme phrases were aces, and to get them all in scientific order and symmetrically placed quite a feat. Fun to learn VAPORWARE and RIVER CARD, happy to become reacquainted with RAINMAKER. I got off on the wrong foot on my theme hunt, focusing on the SPRAY rather than the OCEAN, so after the equally ephemeral VAPOR and CLOUD, I was expecting some sort of mist or fog; RAIN was a dash of cold water on that idea.

Re: PSALTER - for me the word brings back memories of an exhibition on the St. Alban's PSALTER I was lucky to see at the Getty Center. My favorite image among the many beautiful illuminated manuscript pages was that of the Magi being "warned of God in a dream" (Matthew 2:12) not to return to King Herod after having delivered their gifts but to return home by another route. The three Wise Men are stretched out together in the same bed, under too-short blankets, while an angel admonishes them as they sleep.

Beezer 11:08 AM  

Okay, I guess the NYT puzzle staff evidently didn’t know that the < and 3 doesn’t carry over into the “official” app software? Well, they do now. How can THAT happen when it is capable of programming animations into the finished puzzle? Ah well, I count myself lucky for figuring out the crosses. Today I learned PSALTER, but I doubt if I’ll ever have an opportunity to use it in a sentence.

@Nancy, condensation IS one of the REAL elements of the water cycle. Starting with the body of water there is: evaporation, condensation, and precipitation. Transpiration and transportation get thrown in also. I dunno. This particular chart order seems to be more about de-salinization in a water cycle with ocean at the beginning and river thrown in at the end. Good enough for CrossWorld! (And yes, I reviewed the “water cycle” diagram…I learned it in school, but….years ago)

@Lewis…good question! I guess for ME, I CRINGE at sesh and ush because the “sh” sound in a two syllable word makes it so EASY to say…WHY shorten it? I guess my bottom line is it just seems kinda stupid and I don’t really know why!

mathgent 11:16 AM  

I liked it a lot. I learned what the WATERCYCLE is. A goodly number of sparkly entries. Smart cluing from an old pro.

How does "<3" represent love? Two's company, threes a crowd?

Pete 11:17 AM  

@Anon 9:39 - Absent any context, were you to say merely "I made a cup" I would assume that you made an actual cup, not a cup of coffee, soup, anything else.

Whilst I hate people who hate neologisms, I will indulge in a little self hatred for any and all terms akin to SESH, as if I have to pay attention to anyone who can't be bothered to say or type the entire word session. I merely assume they're too ignorant to spell it, and dismiss them as fools and scoundrels. And hate myself more for being so judgmental.

Speaking of not being able to spell, I sent my wife a text last night, saying "... your vibrator was really good last night". Auto-check didn't like my typing of vibrato, so fixed it for me.

VAPORWARE was a real term, one score and three years ago. It was the description of a computer service that didn't exist except as it came out of the mouth of sales people. It was the Cyber-truck of the 2010s.

jberg 11:27 AM  

The printed paper has the emoticon.

Of course I wanted cooper, but I guess you can say that a BREWERY makes barrels of beer. I wouldn't, but you could.

And I've never played Texas hold 'em, but reading about it I've never seen RIVER CARD, just RIVER all by itself.

I knew what VAPORWARE was, and could have defined it if you gave me the word, but I couldn't do it in reverse until I had a lot of crosses.

Psalms are hymns, you are supposed to sing them -- maybe while playing the psaltery.

jb129 11:28 AM  

First of all, THANK YOU, Rex, for posting my Cinnamon's pic ❤️

Now for the not too nice stuff ... not being a fan of this constructor I'm not surprised that I didn't enjoy this puzzle.

Anonymous 11:30 AM  

Geer and Robert John can fade back into obscurity now please

Anonymous 11:34 AM  

Can someone please explain CVS as an answer for resume? I don’t get it.

Nancy 11:46 AM  

@pabloinnh -- 7:53: So I went and listened to the folk song. I knew I'd love it, and I did. Not only because I get the strong impression that you have wonderful taste in music, but because I've pretty much never met a folk song I didn't like. No, strike that. I've NEVER met a folk song I didn't like.

Now I'm also a musical theater buff and an American Songbook buff (there's a lot of overlap there, btw) but there are plenty of both I don't like. Much of what's happening in musical theater these days seems like sacrilege to me. Much of it is indistinguishable from pop -- shrill and one-note and overemotive and self-pitying. And from the Songbook: songs like "It Had To Be You" and "Come Rain or Come Shine", for example, leave me completely cold.

But has there ever been a folk song I didn't like? I absolutely, positively can't think of even one. I just love the genre.

pabloinnh 11:46 AM  

@Lewis-Totally agree with you. See also, "adorbs". Eww.

Anonymous 11:48 AM  

And "Thank You" @egs! Brilliant!

Shandra Dykman 12:04 PM  

Oof. I had to CMERE to find out that 1A (Wearily put one foot in front of the other) isn’t PLOP—it’s PLOD. Which means 4D (Sprint at top speed) isn’t PEAK RUN. And (and this is where I should have realized my error) 20A (Phrased) isn’t WORKED. Yikes.

Whatsername 12:07 PM  

Lewis (10:04). Echoing what others have said, it’s the shortening of the words which bothers me - right up there with “adorbs” and “totes.” And even while I completely understand that it’s just part of the evolution of our language, I still find it annoying.

@egs (10:46) Your entire post made me laugh out loud today but especially the part about your romantic pursuits. No make-out SESH for you. 😂

Anonymous 12:12 PM  

Only veins that carry oxygenated blood are the pulmonary veins. Mostly veins are carrying blood to be oxygenated. So your explanation or a variant would have been a better clue.

Masked and Anonymous 12:17 PM  

This was one of them frequent starts/ends-with theme mcguffins, but the individual themer entries are sure great, soooo … liked.

Mighta rated a Tues-WedPuz slot, due to potential no-knows such as: TVY [staff weeject pick]. PSALTER. CVS. YEOH. MARC. Plus raised-by-wolves stuff like: CMERE & SESH & SLRS.

Lotsa faves, includin: OVERDOIT. HALLWAY. AVATAR. DEADRUN. FRAPPE. BREWERY. ANTIWAR. GREASY. <3 [heart, sideways] clue.

Thanx for waterin us, Mr. Eaton-Salners dude.

Masked & Anonymo3Us


**gruntz**

Gary Jugert 12:26 PM  

Another really good puzzle with a blah theme. But as blah themes go, it's perfectly acceptable.

VAPORWARE is a pretty funny concept. TIARA is on my favorite word list between ATELIER and REGATTA.

Tee-Hee: I am over the moon excited to find a little blue note on today's puzzle. It's been all the way since last Friday for a legitimate tee-hee when we all went streaking together. Finally, five days later we can go NUDE. I am terribly worried our favorite 5th-grade slush pile editor is on school break and a boring grownup is picking the puzzles.

Uniclues:

1 Why I love Village Inn.
2 A hula.
3 How I end each friggin' day.
4 Angst in the soul of the underfunded farmer.
5 Silly saying for slitherers Starbucking it.
6 Result of knocking on her door in the dorm and she doesn't answer.

1 IN AWE OF GREASY
2 LOCO LEI MINUET
3 BREWERY DEAD RUN (~)
4 DEERE NEED
5 EEL FRAPPÉ RAID
6 HALLWAY SAD EYES

My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Passengers wresting the microphone from the flight attendant who fancies himself a comedian. JET'S EMCEE COUP.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bob Mills 12:28 PM  

For JCC66: Thanks for the reply. I'd argue that "Sprint at top speed," without punctuation, is an action phrase. "Sprint, at top speed" or "sprint (at top speed") would separate the word "sprint" from the rest and make "sprint" a noun.

Maybe I should just chalk it up to crossword-ese, where the rules of grammar are often abstract.

pabloinnh 12:54 PM  

@Nancy-I'm so glad you liked the Stan Rogers song. He's written LOTS of songs, and not a bad one in the bunch. For another one that just knocks me out every time, I'd recommend "Lies".

JC66 12:55 PM  

@Bob Mills

Yep, like they say, close enough for crosswords.

okanaganer 1:12 PM  

Quite a nice little theme for a Wednesday. Love sciency stuff!

For 5 down "Vet's affliction" I had to get it through crosses, and couldn't figure out why a veterinarian would get PTSD! Then I had never heard of PSALTER so I put in PSALMS I and figured there must be more of them. And 44 down is sort of a Kealoa: AVERTS then AVOIDS before EVADES.

[Spelling Bee: Tues 0; 10 day streak!]

Anonymous 1:40 PM  

Wow! The King of the Crossword, the Prince of Panning at his very best! He dug deep and tore up this
Wednesday-style beaut with a tirade about an answer that no one would think about twice. Whatever the reason , we fans want his majesty to keep his TALONS sharpened!



Anonymous 1:56 PM  

A curriculum vitae is a teaching resume.

oldactor 2:10 PM  

I thought 24 across had to be "Flying Car". It fit perfectly and I'm still waiting for one.

Anoa Bob 2:22 PM  

The only place I've ever seen PSALTER is in crossword puzzles. It has appeared in the NYTXW 28 times over the years, 6 of them during the Shortz era.

I hesitated putting VEIN in at 30A "Pathway for oxygenation" because I thought that would be an artery. I guess VEIN works if the gist of the clue is "Pathway for [the purpose of] oxygenation", in other words a pathway carrying blood to the lungs to get oxygenated.

I didn't CRINGE when I saw that 5D "Vet's affliction" was PTSD but at first I thought it would be something that veterinarians are especially susceptible to, like some flea or tick borne disease. Don't mean to OVER DO IT (hi @JC66) but there's plenty of room there for the full "Veteran's affliction" clue. I give the same frowny face to "vet" as I do to "ush", "SESH" and their ilk.

I've got a pocket billiards game with some friends later today. I have to remember to TAKE A CUE.

bocamp 2:35 PM  

Thx, Alex, for the WATERship downs CYCLE! 😊

Tough (downs-only).

Full disclosure: when checking @Rex's blog photo of the completed puz near the end of my solve (covering up the Cali portion), I inadvertently saw my gaffe at WORrED. I had totally forgotten that I had entered some debatable answers at the outset in that area. Will never know for sure if I'd have gotten the 'D' and made the other corrections in the NW, but, it is what it is. 😔

Started to pick up on the WATER theme fairly early on, so that was a huge boon.

Misfires in the NW to start with: brOW for PLOW & tEAroUt for DEAD RUN & WORrED, which I meant to address later.

The SW was a beast, but fell in the end when I replaced aVoidS with EVADES and gRoans with CRINGE after getting IN AWE OF & BREWERY (wanted cooper, but not enuf letters).

A fun, and most rewarding solving experience; very enjoyable! :)
___
Sara Goodchild's New Yorker cryptic was tricky but doable in the end.
___
Peace 🕊 🇺🇦 ~ Compassion ~ Tolerance ~ Kindness ~ Freudenfreude & a DAP to all 👊 🙏

burtonkd 3:06 PM  

@pabloinnh: I did that song for a Thanksgiving service once. Love the line:
"another season's promise in the ground"

burtonkd 3:10 PM  

My EVADE mistake was ELUDE. I remember a discussion about forming a crossword themed barbershop quartet here called the EVADELUDE DUDES. Maybe that could happen someday for the tournament:)

Anonymous 4:00 PM  

It’s not accepting a completed puzzle for me. Fun to lose a streak over a crappy app.

Anonymous 4:42 PM  

Same here. Held me up for a long time. Also never heard of PSALTER before (maybe because I’m not Christian?), and I don’t play poker so no idea what any cards are other than normal suit cards (and Uno), and I was also stuck on “YES” as part of the famous song (that I’d never heard of) and even after the music didn’t understand the song name. And no icon for ❤️ either

ccredux 5:12 PM  

@pabloinnh, @Nancy I listened to Field Behind the Plow. What a great song! One of my favorites is Arlo Guthrie singing City of New Orleans. Unsure, but I think it qualifies as a folk song. Is it?

Anonymous 5:14 PM  

for me there was no <3, it just said “Emotion indicated by the emoticon” which is incredibly confusing on its own

Beezer 5:16 PM  

@jb129…I tried to email you. Omg…Cinnamon…adorable! Our pup passed away at age 15 in early February. We are both dealing with the loss and it’s HARD! So nice that she had tribute by @Rex! ❤️

pabloinnh 5:47 PM  

@ccredux-We play "City of New Orleans" at our Monday night hootenanny quite often. Definitely qualifies.

Anonymous 5:48 PM  

For me, it was the SW block where I almost dnf’d
I carefully EVADEd the Waltons when it was on. With the kealoa cross of EVADE and ETSY and the misdirection on brewery I thought it was hopeless Until MINUET appeared in my brain!

Anonymous 7:19 PM  

There’s a lot here that you’re missing about language, how it evolves, and how it differs naturally between communities and context, but I’ll focus on the most important part: “<3” doesn’t “equal” love, it’s *similar to* love. Typing the full word out communicates something different than using the shorthand.

As an example: you ask people who love you to use the full word. If you’d said “people who <3 me”, it would change the meaning.

(also, why you had any trouble understanding how <3 means love is beyond me… it’s a heart)

Anonymous 10:04 PM  

Barrels and barrels of beer.

Anonymous 11:43 PM  

How can I send you a pet photo? What email address?

CDilly52 11:47 PM  

Smooth . . . until it wasn’t. No idea what VAPOR WARE is. Thankfully the crosses were fair. Not a fan of non-words like C’MERE. Sure, it is said, I just don’t like it. Everybody has their hot button stuff; these are mine. Not hard in the least, just ugly-to hear in speech and to see.

On to the trouble spits in the SE beginning with WATER CYCLE. Got the WATER part but had a bit of trouble with CYCLE. But that wasn’t really anything I couldn’t figure out.

So, that little SE corner bit forced me to do an alphabet run to figure out both EURO and SESH. EURO fell when I finally realized that I’d fallen into the constructor’s trap with “capital” meaning currency not government seat. Huge head smack. Last and almost fatal was SESH. Not that I haven’t heard it. I’m t’s been in many crosswords. But the clue was way off, in my opinion. “Get together” is not at all what I think of when I hear SESH. That is more a time period during which something is specifically scheduled to occur. A meeting, a recording session, a counseling session, or any number of other occurrences that are scheduled, not a random get-together. Or I could be old and therefore mistaken.

Fine theme, very little pure junk and a pretty smooth and enjoyable Wednesday.

spacecraft 11:24 AM  

I quickly filled in OCEANSPRAY--then tried to make it work. But what feature of jeans ends in P? Turned out it was RIP. I'd hesitate to call that a "feature." Oh wait: it could be. That's right; nowadays they sell "distressed" clothes. It boggles my mind that contestants come up on stage on "The Price is Right" wearing this garbage. I mean, ON PURPOSE! Oh well, the Iowa results are proving that we're all LOCO.

Good theme & execution. The fill, outside of RIP and the non-drugstore CVS (??), was fine. Never heard of VAPORWARE, sounds shady to me. Like, please don't bother trying to find it, it's not there. One of those internet SNARES. Birdie.

Wordle birdie.

Anonymous 11:51 AM  

A perfect puzzle.

Burma Shave 1:08 PM  

NEED A LEI

The DESIRES you MAKE -
I'm IN LOVE SO they SAY -
YET INAWEOF your TAKE
to OVERDOIT for PAY.

--- PROF. MARC RAFAEL GREY

rondo 1:28 PM  

Six longish themers YET a small number of 3s - pretty good stuff.
SHEP SITs in the corners, good dog.
TIARA goes to Michelle YEOH baby.
Wordle birdie.

Anonymous 1:32 PM  

Syndicated solver here. Always ~1 month behind so have to do a keyword search to find the relevant puzzle. I'm sure there is a formula somewhere to figure it out, but it is just as quick to type something memorable about the puzzle such as "psalter watercycle rex parker" and Google does the heavy lifting for me.

I came to see the comments on PSALTER. Was thrilled to see it as it isn't a common word but came to mind immediately and knew it had to be it. Also liked the misdirection with the cluing on "Furrow Former" and "Capital of Italy." What was meh for me? CMERE, SESH, GEER, CRINGE. And VAPORWARE? Never heard of it. Is that some sort of vaping pen made by Tupperware?

Anonymous 1:34 PM  

Or if I needed, I suppose I could use the handy provided "Syndicated Puzzle" link at the top of the page. Thanks, Rex.

Diana, LIW 2:14 PM  

I won't say it was easier than yesterday, but it went smoother than yesterday.

Methinks they made up VAPORWARE for the puzzle.

Lady Di

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP