Experimental composer Charles / FRI 12-15-23 / Nephalist / Lines from a rapper in slang / Yard, nautically / Likely hyperbole from a texter / Button usually held down by a pinkie / Warning letters with a reddit link / West Coast NFL'er

Friday, December 15, 2023

Constructor: Alex Tomlinson

Relative difficulty: Easy


THEME: none 

Word of the Day: INUK (10D: Arctic native) —
a member of the Inuit people (merriam-webster.com)
• • •

***ATTENTION: READERS AND FELLOW SOLVERS IN SYNDICATION (if it's currently mid-January, that's you!)*** : Hello from the first properly wintry week of the season in Central New York! It's January, which means it's time once again for my annual week-long pitch for financial contributions to the blog. Every year I ask readers to consider what the blog is worth to them on an annual basis and give accordingly. So ... 17 years ... not bad. At this time last year, I was recovering from COVID and still dealing with the very fresh grief brought on by the untimely death of my cat, Olive. I was very grateful for the blog at that point, since it grounded me in routine and gave me a place where I could lose myself in a pastime I love, and share that love with others. OK, yes, true, I don't always *love* crosswords. Sometimes it's more hate-love or love-hate or "Why are you being like this, you stupid puzzle!?" It ain't all positive vibes, as you know. But I realized last year that part of what makes this blog so fun for me, and what makes it a solace to many readers, is the sense of commiseration it provides. Sometimes the puzzle thrills you, and maybe I agree with you, and maybe I don't; and sometimes it infuriates you, and maybe I agree with you, and maybe I don't. But either way, the blog is here; it's *always* here. You get to have your feelings validated, or you get to shake your head at my errant judgment and often breathtaking ignorance, but either way, you get to share an experience that's an important part of your daily life, and maybe you learn something new. Above all, I hope you feel that there is a real person with a real life and real emotions and (very) real human flaws who's telling you what it was *really* like for him to solve the puzzle. I never wanted to be an expert, offering some kind of bloodless know-it-all advice and analysis. I wanted blood. Blood on the page. There will be blood! ... But also, music videos. And Words of the Day. And, if you hang around long enough, cat pictures. Like this one:


This is Ida (she put herself in the bin, I swear). Ida is the happy sequel to last year's grief. At the beginning of January, I was mourning. By the end of January, I was still mourning, but now I had a new companion (as did my other cat, Alfie, who *really* needed one). Why am I talking about my cats? Because they are constant, they give shape and rhythm to my day, and I love them even if they sometimes drive me crazy. Just like crossword puzzles! (See that! Segue! This is why you should pay me the big bucks!) 

However much I love writing this blog (and I do, a lot), it is, in fact, a job. This blog has covered the NYTXW every day, without fail, for 17 years, and except for two days a month (when my regular stand-ins Mali and Clare write for me), and an occasional vacation or sick day (when I hire substitutes to write for me), it's me who's doing the writing. Every day. At very ... let's say, inconvenient hours (my alarm goes off most mornings at 3:45am). Over the years, I have received all kinds of advice about "monetizing" the blog, invitations to turn it into a subscription-type deal à la Substack or Patreon. But that sort of thing has never felt right for me. I like being out here on Main, on this super old-school blogging platform, just giving it away for free and relying on conscientious addicts like yourselves to pay me what you think the blog's worth. It's just nicer that way. 

How much should you give? Whatever you think the blog is worth to you on a yearly basis. Whatever that amount is is fantastic. Some people refuse to pay for what they can get for free. Others just don't have money to spare. All are welcome to read the blog—the site will always be open and free. But if you are able to express your appreciation monetarily, here are three options. First, a Paypal button (which you can also find in the blog sidebar on the homepage):

Second, a mailing address (checks can be made out to "Michael Sharp" or "Rex Parker"):

Rex Parker c/o Michael Sharp
54 Matthews St
Binghamton, NY 13905

The third, increasingly popular option is Venmo; if that's your preferred way of moving money around, my handle is @MichaelDavidSharp (the last four digits of my phone are 4878, in case Venmo asks you, which I guess it does sometimes, when it's not trying to push crypto on you, what the hell?!)

All Paypal contributions will be gratefully acknowledged by email. All Venmo contributions will get a little heart emoji, at a minimum :) All snail mail contributions will be gratefully acknowledged with hand-written postcards. I. Love. Snail Mail. I love seeing your gorgeous handwriting and then sending you my awful handwriting. It's all so wonderful. My daughter (Ella Egan) has once again designed my annual thank-you cards, and once again those cards feature (wait for it) cats! My cats: Alfie & Ida. This year, an elegant set of five!



These really capture the combination of beauty and goofiness that I love in cats (and puzzles, frankly). I'd say "Collect All Five!" but every snail-mail contributor will get just one and (hopefully) like it! Please note: I don't keep a "mailing list" and don't share my contributor info with anyone. And if you give by snail mail and (for some reason) don't want a thank-you card, just indicate "NO CARD." Again, as ever, I'm so grateful for your readership and support. Please know that your support means a lot to me and my family. Now on to today's puzzle... 

• • •


Well it was harder than yesterday, but most Tuesdays are harder than yesterday, so that's not saying much. This felt like reasonable Friday difficulty, but still on the light side. If I don't even have to read the clues on the three long Acrosses in the SW in order to finish the puzzle (and I didn't), then it can't be all that hard. Any resistance today came from the typical "word I didn't know" stuff, stuff you encounter in virtually every puzzle, and none of it caused any real stoppage. It had some of that whoosh-whoosh magic that I like to see on Friday, although my first would-be whoosh was ALOHA SHIRT, which is more like 10-letter crosswordese than anything as exciting as "whoosh." But then PASTRY CHEF came along behind and gave the grid some zing, and very quickly I was gazing at the grid with...


Just kidding, I lost my capacity for that long ago. I was not at all sure of this answer when I threw it across, but after CHILD'S TELESCOPE wouldn't fit, CHILDLIKE WONDER (34A: What on might look at the night sky with) was the first thing that came to mind. It's a corny phrase, but one thing I do love is that it's paired with the perpendicular grid-spanner HALLMARK HOLIDAY, which basically leaves you with The Two Holiday Spirits: Delight and Cynicism. People seem to mostly enjoy the Christmas season, but there is no more "overly commercialized celebration" than Christmas, so ... pick your feeling! I just like how the marquee answers seem to be marking out the spectrum of seasonal emotions. Very timely. I for one love the holiday season, mostly because of the lights people put up. It's a nice neighborhood feature during the darkest time of the year. We put colored lights in the bushes out front for the first time in a long time. They are not fancy, but they make me happy, as does our tiny Christmas tree, decorated with ridiculous ornaments we've accumulated over the years. Almost every commercial thing about Christmas, however, makes me miserable. Well, "miserable" may be too strong. Miserable-ISH. Put off, maybe. Irked. Anyway, I offer this discursion about my Christmas ambivalence as a prelude to my favorite, only mildly facetious wrong answer of the day. Faced with two ELS at the end of 55D: Common place to see Santa, I went with ...


Pretty sure "See you HELL, Santa!" was in the uncensored version of "Twas the Night Before Christmas." Originally, Santa said "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night." And then everybody who got coal shouted back, "See you in HELL, Santa!," and chucked coal at the reindeer. But that part was pulled, right about the time they added "under God" to the pledge of allegiance, I think. Thanks, Eisenhower.


Really liked the two longer colloquialisms today ("CAN YOU NOT?!" "... AND STAY OUT!"). Did not so much like all the textisms. Just a barrage of textisms. First, FTW ("For the win!"), which I actually haven't seen / heard in years, but at least (unlike so many faddish expressions) it stayed in my brain. Then not only NSFW and ROFL, but NSFW *crossing* ROFL. These initialisms have appeared in the grid enough that even if you aren't a big adopter of texting shorthand, you should know them. And yet, ick. Don't cross these. It's ugly. Just a horrid letter train wreck.


It's been a year since we've seen LIANA (50A: Tropical vine). Did you know we once went nearly seven years without seeing LIANA!? It's true. Good times. LIANA is Pantheon-level crosswordese, one of those short words seen only in crosswords that I learned early early on in my solving career (so, early '90s). If you didn't know it, do not feel bad. Look how much the '80s liked LIANA!

xwordinfo.com

Shortz, to his credit, brought fill like LIANA to heel. Still, a handy word to know, just in case. My only real "Word I Don't Know" today was INUK, which is making its debut today (!?!?!?) (10D: Arctic native). Glad it's a debut because I was like "how have I never seen this before?" INUIT is a crossword legend, but INUK, nowhere in sight ... until today.


I had KNOT before SPAR (1A: Yard, nautically). Did you know YARD is slang for $100? I've been watching Blast of Silence (1961), the 4th-greatest Christmas movie of all time, and they say YARD for $100 in that picture. It's good old-timey criminal slang. But not "nautical," I don't think, so not relevant here. I hesitated at OCHER v OCHRE, as I always will (29A: Earth-based pigment). I knew WENDIE Malick, though I did not know the spelling. Still, just knowing meant that I could make the spelling work, by inference. "If not WENDY, then ... WENDIE." I guess WENDEE was possible, but that just looks stupid (apologies to all the WENDEEs out there, both of you). "Stubbles" in the plural feels awful (18A: What stubbles may become => BEARDS). So many other ways you might've gone there without resorting to a plural no one would touch. 


Bullets:
  • 18A: Number in a count (BALLS) — ball/strike count, in baseball. This clue was hard.
  • 24A: Lines from a rapper, in slang (BARS) — loved this, got it quick. I know a lot of y'all hate rap, but expect to see this clue for BARS again.
  • 43A: Pronoun functioning as an object (not a subject!) (WHOM) — yes, but nobody likes a shouty prescriptivist clue! 
  • 46A: Half full? (ELS) — an old trick. ELS (plural of the letter "L") make up "half" of the word "full" 
  • 4D: One you might beseech to get glasses (REF) — first thing I put in the grid (after the incorrect KNOT at 1-Across, which REF helped me fix)
  • 14D: One on the Israelites' journey to the Promised Land (CALEB) — really thought this was gonna be a term for a *modern-day* voyager to Israel, LOL. Genuinely surprised when it turned out to be a specific figure from the Bible.
  • 35D: Housework? (LAWS) — think House of Representatives 
  • 28D: Nephalist (TEETOTALER) — so ... nothing to do with kidneys, then? Great, you taught me a useless word I will immediately forget, thanks. I've read books on Prohibition and taught Prohibition-era crime fiction and never have I ever seen the word "Nephalist." Dictionary says "Noun (obsolete)." Bah and humbug. Now I really want a drink.
You all have sent me so many Holiday Pet Pictures that it's gonna take me the rest of the month to post them all, even at the rate of several per day. Not mad! Just know that it might take a while for your cat or dog to show up. First holiday pets today are anonymous cats (tell me your pets' names!). 

[Sooooo many cats in Christmas trees in my Inbox!
How do your trees not fall over!? (thanks, Torey)]

[This came with an annotation: "Cat nuts roasting on an open fire" (thanks, Ellen)]

This is reader Liveprof's granddaughter Zoey and her "fierce watchcat" Emily

[Love the cat looking directly at the camera like "are we done here?"]

And here's Maddie looking sweet and noble:

[thanks, Connie]

And hey, looks like we're finally getting some more dogs in the mix. Note: you people really like to dress your pets in human attire, god bless these patient babies :) 

[Give Fiona All the Cookies, Her Suffering
Has Gone On Too Long! (thanks, Linda)] 

[Lola wants you to know that "The Bark Before Christmas"
is a terrible pun, one star (thanks, Sarah)]

More Holiday Pet Pics every day for the foreseeable future. My Inbox remains open, rexparker at icloud dot com. See you tomorrow.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]

75 comments:

Conrad 6:12 AM  


Easy-Medium for me.

iOTa before MOTE at 11D
tHeM before WHOM at 43A
niner before LARAM at 47D

Burghman 7:15 AM  

Can someone explain Housework? being LAWS? I’m familiar with the show House but he was a doctor. Is there a cop / judge named House that I’m unaware of?

Anonymous 7:16 AM  

House of Representatives

kitshef 7:23 AM  

Tough Friday for me. I'll be very surprised if tomorrow's puzzle is harder. Often on a Friday, once you get some answers filled in you can steamroll to the finish. On a Saturday, it fights you all the way to the end. This fought me all the way to the end (WENDIE).

If you watched David Attenborough, LIANA would not feel like crosswordese.

I went down a ski-jumping rabbit hole post-solve. Among other things, I learned that one foot in Norway is about 3% longer than one foot in the US. And that the record ski jump is 832 (US) feet.

Son Volt 7:31 AM  

Lots of fun with this. I’ll double down on the fantastic crossing spanners. Liked TEE TOTALER, SALTED NUTS and RARE GEM.

PALE blue…

Seemed a little like an Old Testament lesson up top. Thankfully knew LIANA from crosswords because WENDIE was completely backed into. Don’t need to see CDC in my puzzle and all the abbreviations can go suck it. I’ve actually seen FTW used as “F the world”.

Enjoyable Friday morning solve.

To continue Rex’s holiday theme here’s a Christmas REEL

Kid Phoneme 7:37 AM  

Rex saying "Look how much the '80s liked LIANA!" brought my mind here:

"Not quite a year since you went away
Liana, yeah"

Meanwhile, if "Half of full" is ELS the other is FU. We all occasionally curse out the crossword authors, don't we? (A friend of mine holds an annual "Swearing In" of the Christmas Tree).

Love seeing everyone's kitties and doggies.

Andy Freude 7:38 AM  

It’s been so long since I’ve seen LIANA that I wrote in Lanai at first. You can tell I live in a cold climate.

I think it was the 1930s, before Eisenhower, that the words “under God” were added to our pledge to a country in which the separation of church and state is a fundamental principle. On top of that, they stuck it right between “one nation” and “indivisible.” And now look at how much division that little bit of confusion is causing.

On another note, Rex, somebody needs to tell that guy in “Blast of Silence” that no means no.

And on a jollier note, happy Beethoven’s birthday, everyone. Not (yet) a HALLMARK HOLIDAY.

Benbini 7:45 AM  

Seen rather more of NTH recently than I'd like, personally; it's been such an easy week I can't help feeling a bit of superstitious dread that Saturday and/or Sunday are going to be real kickers in terms of difficulty. In the meantime, ego-massaging quick solves FTW!

Liveprof 7:59 AM  

When my son Sam was little, the one area he picked up late on was days of the week. So for what I thought was too long he'd ask me questions like, "Dad -- does Tuesday come before Wednesday?" I once said I look forward to getting a call from him from medical school one day asking me what comes after Thursday.

Anyway, I thought of him today when I solved the puzzle in the wee hours of the morning, thinking it was Thursday. And I couldn't figure out what the trick was. Was it crabbiness? AND STAY OUT!! CAN YOU NOT!!. I was one "get off my lawn" away from resting on that. Then my brain told me it was Friday. But I like that idea for a theme -- a bunch of long answers telling the solver to leave him or her (the constructor) the hell alone.

Thanks for sharing the shot of Zozo and Emily, RP! Made my day.

nalpac 8:00 AM  

Naticked on Wendie and FTW. Sandie FFS?

Lewis 8:03 AM  

My favorite type of crossword is one in which I look at the completed grid and there are practically no never-heard-ofs, and where the cluing is filled with wordplay, riddles, and trickery that makes the fill-in tough and fun.

Tough and fun are the buttons that happify my brain.

Alex’s debut today definitely had that flavor, bringing a twinkle to my eyes with its humor and leaving me with glorious post-workout satisfaction.

Big “Hah!” at finally getting [Number in a count]. Another at getting ELS. Joy at the newness of running into answers I’ve never seen before in a Times puzzle, for instance, the following six: AND STAY OUT, AVID READER, CHILDLIKE WONDER, HALLMARK HOLIDAY, PASTRY CHEF, and SALTED NUTS.

Sweet serendipity in having a Pledge of Allegiance clue, along with KEY, as in Francis Scott, in REKEY.

And speaking of looking at the night sky with childlike wonder, there was that unforgettable night in Hawaii many years ago, with the countless stars blazing unhindered, that my wife and I still remind each other about.

A Friday debut is impressive enough, but add its spark, personality, and smoothness, and I get the feeling that you have the knack, Alex, the potential to be one of those constructors whose creations are eagerly awaited, a Crosslandia fixture. Prove me right! And thank you for a splendid outing today!

Jack Stefano 8:09 AM  

Nice little medium/challenging Friday. Not too many of those these days. Enjoyed it. I wish there were more. The puzzle has been dumbed down a good bit in the last 20 years.

SouthsideJohnny 8:17 AM  

It felt like it was a Wednesday until I got south of the equator (which for me is a good thing). Got caught up in a couple of spots which I suspect may snare others as well - CALEB was a total unknown to me, and I had nothing for the “Limes from a rapper . . “ when DRIVEL didn’t fit.

I also had pretty much no chance at the FTW/WENDIE/LIANA intersection which conjured up images of the Xword equivalent of a fender bender at a four way stop sign - it looks really ugly and causes an inordinate traffic jam, but fortunately no one was injured.

Kudos to Rex for calling out the NEPHALIST nonsense - I suspect those of us who despise the “Look how smart I am clues” are legion, and I for one stand proudly with OFL on that sentiment.

andrew 8:26 AM  

Agree that NSFW and FTW are Rhymes with ROFL (AWFUL!) ISH!! They need to CTRL these initials!

INUK sounds like a sloppy proofreader’s title of a feel good self help book from the ‘60s (I’N UK. U’R UK!)

After watching the 63-21 Raider rout last night, thought we had a HAiLMARyHOLIDAY (Chargers wouldn’t bother launching any last ditch, UPTOP, long HANGTIME passes, since the impossible ditch was dug by the 2nd quarter). CHILDeyedWONDER almost worked too.

Knew the actress and spelling of WENDIE from Ms. Malick’s appearances as dated hairstyle chiropractor with an inflexible cancellation policy (Seinfeld) or the Crane boys’ old babysitter/new stepmother (Frasier).

ETSY is the new UTNE (Reader).

Some great cluing (Bookie anyone?) made this a Good Friday (oops, wrong HALLMARKHOLIDAY, celebrating Jesus’ relatively short HANGTIME)…



andrew 8:31 AM  

If you got Naticked on actress WENDIE, wouldn’t that technically be MALICKED?

(That sounds like a porn sub-sub genre, so NVM - NSFW!)

Whatsername 8:41 AM  

Alex Tomlinson FTW!! This was a RARE Friday where I didn’t have to Google a single thing. It just felt smooth from start to finish with that nice whooshy rhythm. And that perfect GEM spanning the grid at 34 Across! Who hasn’t experienced that stirring sense of WONDER when looking at the night sky? Particularly at this time of year, I’m reminded of watching the sky on Christmas Eve with CHILDLIKE anticipation of catching a glimpse of Santa’s sleigh. Then there was another trip back in time at 61A and memories of a rainy afternoon school assembly. Sincere thanks for this, Alex. Just a superb debut.

Sweet Maddie and I are so excited about her Crossworld appearance this morning! Thank you Rex, for generously sharing your blog and allowing us to proudly see our fur kids on display.

Jim 8:43 AM  

May be a nitpick, but ump would be a better choice than ref

Anonymous 8:57 AM  

i found this one challenging and not in a good way.

RooMonster 9:02 AM  

Hey All !
Tough while solving for me, but the timer ended up at 26 minutes! Quick, for a FriPuz.

Was thinking it would be some sort of Rebus happening, as wanted INUIT for INUK , and a couple of other answers I had thought of first that were one letter too long. UPHIGH for UPTOP was another. But sussed it all out.

REF clue was funny. Some of these calls... (Or non-calls). It's tough to beat the other team, and the officials.

LIANA, har, word seen in the SB. My gummies bottles went beer, sOdA, COLA.

Good brain workout. Happy Friday!

Three F's
RooMonster
DarrinV

Nancy 9:43 AM  

I like the way this puzzle, rich with colorful long answers, neatly divides the world into things that make life better and things that make life worse.

Better:
RARE GEM
PASTRY CHEF
CHILDLIKE WONDER (my favorite answer today)
AVID READER
HANG TIME
LET'S EAT
NYT

Worse:
MEDIA BIAS
TEETOTALER
CAN YOU NOT
AND STAY OUT
DUEL
ALOHA SHIRT (No, really. Have you ever seen one?)
SALTED NUTS (They're there to make you very, very thirsty and more apt to buy the overpriced drinks served on your flight. Bring your own UNsalted ones if they let you.)

Writeovers: I needed to change LAker to LA RAM (when AVID READER then came in I was delighted) and tHeM to WHOM.

Best long answer: HALLMARK HOLIDAY.

Favorite clue: "One you might beseech to get glasses." Lovely!

The Cap'n 9:50 AM  

Rex writes: "They say YARD for $100 in that picture. It's good old-timey criminal slang. But not "nautical," I don't think, so not relevant here.

And I say....HANG em! Hang em from the YARDARM!! (aarrgg)

pabloinnh 9:55 AM  

LIANA at last! I keep trying you in SB without success (hi @Roo) so nice to at least see you reappear in a crossword. Welcome back.

Wanted to see the world BYAIR and I never know if they want OCHER or OCHRE, so a few nanoseconds lost there. INUK was news to me as was Ms. Malick, but everything else was familiar, even all the texting abbreviations (thanks to crosswords, as I have yet to send a text). Oh, learned "nephalist" too, but obviously I forgot it in a hurry.

Nice shout out to ski jumping. NH is the last state to still have ski jumping as a high school sport, and both my wife's brothers were state champs. One is one of the few certified jumping judges in the country and travels all over to meets. There are still two jumps within five miles of our home here, a small thing but our own.

I enjoyed your debut very much, AT. Admirable Themeless, and thanks for LIANA (Oh, please, stay by me, LIANA). Thanks for all the fun.

Anonymous 10:07 AM  

I found it very difficult as well. Lots of abbreviations.

To 10:11 AM  

Threw in the W at the FTW/WENDIE cross and the Happy Music commenced. And I was surprised. :-)

gdaddywinz 10:17 AM  

First DNF of the year. Never heard of a Hallmark Holiday and got stuck with Halloween.

thfenn 10:27 AM  

CHILDLIKEWONDER crossing HALLMARKHOLIDAY was worth the price of admission. As was Rex's take on the spirits. Throw in some SALTEDNUTS, PASTRY, SITAT the table and LETSEAT, and BALLS for the tree - we've got our holiday puzzle. Just not the time to GODRY or be a TEETOTALER, at least in our house.
And not close to easy for me. Long time in the SW, and all those little shorts in the middle were knotty. But fun. And done. Makes a good Friday.

R Duke 10:37 AM  

Random thoughts: most airlines don’t serve peanuts anymore due to allergies. Wendie Malick was great in a sitcom called “Just Shoot Me”. Aren’t they called Hawaiian shirts?

Gary Jugert 10:38 AM  

Another Friday that, like many a gymnast, takes a hard run to get started, finally leaps into a vault of glorious beauty, and then over rotates and falls with a splat splayed across the mats.

The WENDIE/FTW/ELS/LIANA sitch was unsolvable for me. The intersection of CALEB/BARS also boxed me out.

Everything else was a joy to rummage through with a nice voice in cluing. The long answers are lovely. AND STAY OUT and CAN YOU NOT are epic.

Uniclues:

1 The number of nanoseconds required for his fist to smush in your face.
2 A flat one, no doubt. (You just get obsessed.)
3 Right-wingers vs. everyone.
4 Big ole hairy white bellies.
5 Why I now own a crochet Darth Vader.

1 SPAR HANG TIME
2 AVID READER COLA
3 MEDIA BIAS DUEL
4 ALOHA SHIRT AIDS
5 ETSY-MALL TRAP (~)

My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Adding ketchup on spaghetti or drinking cheap vodka by a dumpster. LOW-NOTE SAUCING.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jberg 10:50 AM  

You know who used LIANA regularly? Edgar Rice Burroughs! Tarzan was always grabbing hold of one to swing from tree to tree.

Like @Son Volt, I thought the F in FTW was a different word, so I didn't want to put in the W. Then I didn't know that actress -- saNDIE? raNDIE? Finally I saw that WENDIE would work, and suddenly 47-A, ELS, made sense.

Nephalist would need an r in it to be about kidneys. I didn't know what it meant, but I had the TEE, so what else could it be? But as I type this, Google is telling me it is not a word.

I haven't seem ROLF in years, I think it's been replace by LMAO. Our new cats are still hiding in the closet; if they ever come out, I'll send some photos!

Anonymous 10:53 AM  

Thanks!

Anonymous 10:58 AM  

FYI to those who don't know, "Aloha Shirt" is the name used in Hawaii for "Hawaiian Shirt" and is the original name for that style of shirt. I wouldn't count it as crosswordese.

jae 11:01 AM  

Easy- medium. NW, SW and SE were pretty easy, the NE was tougher.

No erasures and INUK and CALEB were it for WOEs and were mostly responsible for the toughness in the NE

Solid with a fair amount of sparkle, liked it. Nice debut!

egsforbreakfast 11:03 AM  

This went pretty quickly except when a seeming misdirect had me dropping trou to count my BALLS. That immediately suggested HANGTIME and, when considered in light of the nautical opening clue, SALTEDNUTS. The wife walked in at that point and intoned "CANYOUNOT". Interesting aside: my iPad autocorrected "went" in my first sentence to "Weintraub." This may be ChatGPT getting a bit out over its skis.

Given that modern social media users refer to an avatar as an avi (this is actually true), I guess you shouldn't look at a lot of these blog comments if you're an AVIDREADER.

I note that 24A (BARS) could have been clued as "Lines from one who does 1A backwards". I might have paid money to see some of the reactions here to that one.

There is a wonderful show about one of the Israelites journey to the Promised Land. Unfortunately, you can only see it if you've got CALEB TV.

I liked this fine. Pretty easy, but no stench to it (it wasn't REKEY). Thanks for a nice debut, Alex Tomlinson.

Anonymous 11:13 AM  

Ryan Fitzpatrick did not write 3 Down

Newboy 11:14 AM  

More cute fur babies please & thank you Rex. Count me among those experiencing CHILDLIKE WONDER at Alex’s Friday debut! Even the cloying NYT appeal to MEDIA BIAS couldn’t erase the delight in getting COSTA, ELS, WHOM and LAWS from their respective clues. With the delightful longer entries Rex noted grounding the text speak ambiguous random letters in spots, I was able to ROFL my way to completion in record time. And along the way CALEB & TEETOLALER were newbies helping open new landscapes in Crossworld. That’s a delight no matter how easy it seemed.

Nick 11:54 AM  

If 'Blast of Silence' is Rex's #3, I'm willing to bet that 'The Thin Man' is #1, as well it should be. But I wonder which is his #2? Is 'Wonderful Life' a noir crime movie masquerading, or is there another gem aluding us? We've been through the Criterion Channel's 'Holiday Noirs', and none of the others have enough Christmas in them. Rex?

Tom F 11:57 AM  

“give Shortz credit” from OFL!
It’s a Christmas miracle!

jb129 12:16 PM  

Easy? No way.

Today I longed for the print version. Just couldn't go anywhere with this .... UP TOP? NEPHALIST?

Loved the pics though.

Hilary0 12:20 PM  

I love the holiday pet photos.

Masked and Anonymous 12:46 PM  

Not an easy solvequest, at our house … probably more like regular FriPuz-feisty.

staff weeject pick: REF. Had a primo clue. honrabble mention to no-know FTW.

Really nice longball answers. Hardest one to solve: TEETOTALER, as I had no idea what "Nephalist" meant.

Funny chain of abbreves: NYT/NSFW/ROFL.

Thanx for the themeless nanosecond burn, Mr. Tomlinson dude. And congratz on a great debut.

Masked & Anonymo4Us

p.s. Cute pet pics continuation. Just hopin no one out there has a pet pewit.

**gruntz**

okanaganer 12:53 PM  

Not easy for me, especially the lower left. Didn't help that I wanted RIATA for the vine (thinking: do they make riatas out of riata?) which also gave me a Tibetan RAMA.

Other typeovers: DO YOU MIND before CAN YOU NOT, and VEER before REEL which caused problems. For the Pledge of Allegiance occasion, looking at A-------Y all I could think of was ARBOR DAY.

INUK is a word we hear a lot in Canada, because they are the indigenous population of pretty much the entire north. Which is an area the size of Europe.

[Spelling Bee: Thurs 0; 12 day streak!]

puzzlehoarder 1:04 PM  

Mostly this was Friday level fare. What put it into Saturday territory was the sticky glue that held parts of it together. I spent as much time ironing out answers like FTW, ELS, SASH, LAWS and WHOM as I did filling in the rest of the puzzle. I did it on my phone and putting in the W of FTW got me the congrats. WENDIE was what made that inevitable. I couldn't imagine a different letter in that space to make a name.

FTW seems incorrect based on the clue. I interpret "Woo-hoo!" as something that celebrates a win and FTW as being encouragement in anticipation of winning.

Once again I find myself wondering why the SB doesn't accept LIANA and RIATA but it takes the much more obscure RAITA.

Maybe if I'd been a boy scout SASH would have been obvious but I wasn't and it wasn't.

yd -0, Sa-We -0, a 6 day streak... meh

Anonymous 1:55 PM  

It was mostly a slog -- ambiguous clues with short multi-word, multi-possibility answers with zero payoff: sit at, lets eat, tune to, etc. Little motivation left to deal with the trivia onslaught in the southwest.

We also may need congressional intervention to set a limit on how many internet shorthand words can appear per puzzle.

Anonymous 2:55 PM  

“Housework?” doesn’t sit right with me. When said aloud it sounds like “House work” (two words—for which LAWS is a fine answer), but as written has a distinct and narrow definition.

Anonymous 3:23 PM  

RP is correct (why would you question him?). Eisenhower signed the law adding the words on flag day 1954. And in 1956 he made “In God We Trust“ the official US motto, which then started appearing on currency. The Framers must have rolled over in their graves.

Anonymous 3:58 PM  

That is the entire point of the question mark

Anoa Bob 4:11 PM  

I had LONG TIME for 5A "Desire for a ski jumper". Doesn't every ski jumper get some HANG TIME even if they just fall off the end of the ski jump? If they get LONG HANG TIME, that will translate to LONGer distance traveled through the air and that is really the "Desire for a ski jumper', no? Maybe a basketball clue would have stuck the landing better for HANG TIME.

@jberg beat me to it but LIANA has always been a gimme because it was the mode of transportation used by Tarzan to get from one tree limb to another. Here's a 2:42 YouTube promo for a 1932 Tarzan movie featuring a "giant romance of primitive life and unfettered love". There's some LIANA swinging early on. I watched this with CHLIDLIKE WONDER. For a number of reasons, they don't make them like this anymore!

Anonymous 5:07 PM  

Daisy & Santa IMG_7460.jpg

bocamp 5:44 PM  

Thx, Alex, for this ongoing workout! 😊

Tough (attempting a downs-only).

I think I've got it all except for 1, 3, 23 & 28 D.

Been plodding along all day on it; a work in progress.🤞
___
Peace 🕊 🇺🇦 ~ Compassion ~ Tolerance ~ Kindness ~ Freudenfreude & a DAP to all 👊 🙏

jbr613 6:03 PM  

Very tough for me. Got stuck on ALOHA SHIRT, CALEB (thinking AARON or MOSES), and the center. Since when does a SASH hold a badge? Also FTW and ELS. But well-constructed and clued.

dgd 7:00 PM  

Ditto on all 3!
Actually I found it hard. For a lot of other choices I picked the wrong word. And had child - - - - wonder and re- - y for ages and didn’t think of like and rekey till the end.
But , the NW was ridiculously easy

Anonymous 7:01 PM  

Except for the NW I also found it very hard.

dgd 7:06 PM  

Thanks for the Chieftains!

Anonymous 7:11 PM  

You are right about ETSY!

Anonymous 7:18 PM  

About Aloha shirts. I have seen Aloha shirt in the puzzle before and also IRL.
I think it’s the current expression

Anonymous 7:29 PM  

Remember the question mark.
That’s a warning there is a trick
That the answer has nothing to do with housework. It took me a while to figure out what but I thought it was a good misdirection.

Anonymous 7:30 PM  

About sash & badge.
Think Scouting.

Space Is Deep 7:33 PM  

Different experience for me. I found it to be one of the hardest Friday puzzles in a while.

CDilly52 8:02 PM  

My big goof was believing I nailed a spanner and really didn’t. Slowed me down! I plopped in CHILDish delight and had to get ISH as a down to erase my “ish” going across and LAWS going down to get CHILDLIKE, and LOCUST and NOPE down to know my child was experiencing WONDER. Other than that, this was a fairly easy but very enjoyable Friday. I also learned about LIANA, always a plus to learn something new (other than really obscure PPP).

To @Rex and the neighborhood: I do not have an email to send a pet holiday picture. Help please?

Have a great weekend everybody. My week was not as hectic as last. I even knew that today is Friday, not Saturday like in my last week’s Friday post.

bocamp 8:40 PM  

Re: my attempted downs-only solve:

Finally got all 4 downs that I was missing, altho wasn't 100% sure of BOCA or BOCO. The cross could have been AER or oER. Went with the 'A'.

Had a LOL at 2D with holy fatHer, until a few crosses nixed that idea. Was thinking of 'cake' as being a wafer. Originally had fiRE GEM, so the 'f' worked for fatHer.

Getting SPAN was huge; changed ump to REF, then came AS OF, and soon thereafter twigged on ALOHA SHIRT; PASTRY CHEF didn't take long.

That left 48D as the last obstacle. Somehow TEETOTALER came like a bolt out of the blue, and voila Bob was my uncle.

Only prob was I had a few other gaffes, which, except for LAtt at 35D, were more or less excusable. I originally wanted LAWS, but figured the clue would be House work? if referring to the legislature (unless I'm missing something there). What I should've had was LAth, as in plaster, which would have forced me to rethink the cross, and perhaps end up going with LAWS.

My errors were saNDIE for WENDIE; FTs for FTW; aLt for ELS, bAIL for SAIL & bIT AT for SIT AT.

In the end, thinking time well spent, and the only real lapse was LAtt, esp given that I had no idea about Ms. Malick (will have to check out some of her work).

Overall for the week: 4/5 doing downs-only. Don't think I'll be trying that with tm's (maybe w/Sunday's, tho.)
___
Peace 🕊 🇺🇦 ~ Compassion ~ Tolerance ~ Kindness ~ Freudenfreude & a DAP to all 👊 🙏

Vance Martin 9:17 PM  

54A is wrong. The only hawaiian tuber, uala, is a sweet potato, not a yam…

Made in Japan 10:19 PM  

My feelings on the FTW/WENDIE/ELS trainwreck can be summed up be reversing the order of the letters in the acronym.

Anonymous 12:03 AM  

And fewer obscure online acronyms!!! GIGO!!!

Luke 12:11 AM  

Funny how the word "teetotaler" is largely gone from the vocabulary of younger generations. Then again, I thought FTW stood for "F*** THE
WORLD" until my daughter told me it was"FOR THE WIN"...

Anonymous 10:22 AM  

The clue should have been “House work”. Does not make sense as it is; misdirection would still have been present if done correctly.

Anonymous 10:28 AM  

Even with the ? it still seems wrong as one word.

Giskarrrd 10:39 AM  

I enjoyed this one - the longer answers were tough but doable, which is still not always the case for me on a Friday, and fun to figure out. I didn’t mind the text/IM speak so much…

I don’t understand the clue on 36D (ISH). How is it both “there” and “thereabouts”? Because of the first part of that clue I held off putting ISH in for a long time, even when I had IS_

Andrew R 2:12 PM  

Much like a well-made and enjoyable movie where the director cannot figure out a satisfying ending, this puzzle had lots to like about it But ultimately ended up on my scrap Heap in my ash can because of the overuse of text abbreviations. If I ran the world, such things would not be allowed in puzzles, because with very few exceptions, there is no standardization for such things. And then, this puzzle has the nerve to cross two of them. In my mind such a construction is preposterous and should not be tolerated. How would we feel if a puzzle Constructor put two Klingon words Crossing each other? Yech and double yech.

spacecraft 12:23 PM  

Far from easy here. Four pitfalls:

--> The so-called "term" at 5d. Had no earthly idea. Still don't.

--> The old LARAM instead of the super-obvious NINER. Almost wrecked the entire SW for me.

--> Natick at #42. FTW??? I later found out it means "for the win." Huh? But luckily, W seemed the most likely letter to start _ENDIE.

--> And this one very nearly cost a DNF: tHeM instead of WHOM. The clue fits, and confirms ISH as well as METES.

I started at DUEL/MALL in the SE, and it was slow going until I had enough letters to infer TEETOTALER. And so forth. Friday-hard, with some cool in-the-language longer entries. I guess the SASH goes to that WENDIE gal. Birdie.

Wordle eagle, revenge on that same THING I missed earlier.

Burma Shave 12:53 PM  

TIME TO METE

WENDIE stared with CHILDLIKEWONDER,
NOT UPTOP, well NOPE, down under,
"AND this ASSEMBLY that HANGs or falls,
CANYOUNOT tell me - NUTS or BALLS?"

--- CALEB ROE

Diana, LIW 1:37 PM  

LAWS? It was LAWS and not THEM? Say it isn't so

This one fought me every inch of the way. Ultimate DNF due to the law!

Diana, LIW

Diana, LIW 1:39 PM  

and I still like "heliday" better!

Lady Di

Anonymous 3:49 PM  

“Did you know? A person who abstains from alcohol might choose tea as his or her alternative beverage, but the word teetotaler has nothing to do with tea. More likely, the "tee" that begins the word teetotal is a reduplication of the letter "t" that begins total, emphasizing that one has pledged total abstinence.”

Source: Merriam Webster

Anonymous 8:50 AM  

Housework should be two words, not one IMO…not a lot of joy in this one…slow slog that ended at LIANA…a word I never heard before!

Ironically as I read this today the weather is similar to when this blog was posted…yay, Winter!

LOVE the cats…more please! Merry (Belated) Christmas! 🎄

Don Byas 10:18 PM  

threw down LIANA without hesitation. Saw NEPHALIST and thought "cool, I'm gonna learn a new word" only to be disappointed.....
59. Bad press, say (MEDIA BIAS) I prefer a media that's not indifferent to democratic elections, fascism, human rights, etc.

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP