Indian tonal drum / THU 12-14-23 / Vehicle at the center of the Hindu festival Ratha Yatra / Semiliquid stuff / Site of a W.W. I battle that saved Paris from capture / Brother of Logan Roy on "Succession" / Carvings named for the first man in Maori mythology / Collection of senior moments?

Thursday, December 14, 2023

Constructor: Esha Datta

Relative difficulty: Easiest Thursday Of All Time


THEME: "YOU'RE ON MUTE" (35A: Oft-used phrase during Zoom meetings ... or the reason for the misunderstandings at 17-, 26-, 50- and 60-Across?) — for the theme answers to make sense, you have to mute them, i.e. remove the word that represents a form of speech:

Theme answers:
  • BEANSTALK (17A: Chili ingredients)
  • MAGIC HAT (26A: Three wise men)
  • TIRE MARK (50A: Note after la)
  • PIKE'S PEAK (60A: Predatory freshwater fish)
Word of the Day: TABLA (57A: Indian tonal drum) —

tabla is a pair of hand drums from the Indian subcontinent, that is somewhat similar in shape to the bongos. Since the 18th century, it has been the principal percussion instrument in Hindustani classical music, where it may be played solo, as an accompaniment with other instruments and vocals, and as a part of larger ensembles. It is frequently played in popular and folk music performances in IndiaBangladeshAfghanistanPakistanNepal and Sri Lanka. The tabla is an essential instrument in the bhakti devotional traditions of Hinduism and Sikhism, such as during bhajan and kirtan singing. It is one of the main qawwali instruments used by Sufi musicians. The instrument is also featured in dance performances such as Kathak. Tabla is a rhythmic instrument. 

The name tabla likely comes from tabl, the Arabic word for drum. The ultimate origin of the musical instrument is contested by scholars, though some trace its evolution from indigenous musical instruments of the Indian subcontinent.

The tabla consists of two small drums of slightly different sizes and shapes. Each drum is made of hollowed-out wood, clay or metal. The smaller drum (dayan/tabla) is used for creating treble and tonal sounds, while the primary function of the larger drum (baya/dagga) is for producing bass. They are laced with hoops, thongs and wooden dowels on its sides. The dowels and hoops are used to tighten the tension of the membranes for tuning the drums. (wikipedia)

• • •

***ATTENTION: READERS AND FELLOW SOLVERS IN SYNDICATION (if it's currently mid-January, that's you!)*** : Hello from the first properly wintry week of the season in Central New York! It's January, which means it's time once again for my annual week-long pitch for financial contributions to the blog. Every year I ask readers to consider what the blog is worth to them on an annual basis and give accordingly. So ... 17 years ... not bad. At this time last year, I was recovering from COVID and still dealing with the very fresh grief brought on by the untimely death of my cat, Olive. I was very grateful for the blog at that point, since it grounded me in routine and gave me a place where I could lose myself in a pastime I love, and share that love with others. OK, yes, true, I don't always *love* crosswords. Sometimes it's more hate-love or love-hate or "Why are you being like this, you stupid puzzle!?" It ain't all positive vibes, as you know. But I realized last year that part of what makes this blog so fun for me, and what makes it a solace to many readers, is the sense of commiseration it provides. Sometimes the puzzle thrills you, and maybe I agree with you, and maybe I don't; and sometimes it infuriates you, and maybe I agree with you, and maybe I don't. But either way, the blog is here; it's *always* here. You get to have your feelings validated, or you get to shake your head at my errant judgment and often breathtaking ignorance, but either way, you get to share an experience that's an important part of your daily life, and maybe you learn something new. Above all, I hope you feel that there is a real person with a real life and real emotions and (very) real human flaws who's telling you what it was *really* like for him to solve the puzzle. I never wanted to be an expert, offering some kind of bloodless know-it-all advice and analysis. I wanted blood. Blood on the page. There will be blood! ... But also, music videos. And Words of the Day. And, if you hang around long enough, cat pictures. Like this one:


This is Ida (she put herself in the bin, I swear). Ida is the happy sequel to last year's grief. At the beginning of January, I was mourning. By the end of January, I was still mourning, but now I had a new companion (as did my other cat, Alfie, who *really* needed one). Why am I talking about my cats? Because they are constant, they give shape and rhythm to my day, and I love them even if they sometimes drive me crazy. Just like crossword puzzles! (See that! Segue! This is why you should pay me the big bucks!) 

However much I love writing this blog (and I do, a lot), it is, in fact, a job. This blog has covered the NYTXW every day, without fail, for 17 years, and except for two days a month (when my regular stand-ins Mali and Clare write for me), and an occasional vacation or sick day (when I hire substitutes to write for me), it's me who's doing the writing. Every day. At very ... let's say, inconvenient hours (my alarm goes off most mornings at 3:45am). Over the years, I have received all kinds of advice about "monetizing" the blog, invitations to turn it into a subscription-type deal à la Substack or Patreon. But that sort of thing has never felt right for me. I like being out here on Main, on this super old-school blogging platform, just giving it away for free and relying on conscientious addicts like yourselves to pay me what you think the blog's worth. It's just nicer that way. 

How much should you give? Whatever you think the blog is worth to you on a yearly basis. Whatever that amount is is fantastic. Some people refuse to pay for what they can get for free. Others just don't have money to spare. All are welcome to read the blog—the site will always be open and free. But if you are able to express your appreciation monetarily, here are three options. First, a Paypal button (which you can also find in the blog sidebar on the homepage):

Second, a mailing address (checks can be made out to "Michael Sharp" or "Rex Parker"):

Rex Parker c/o Michael Sharp
54 Matthews St
Binghamton, NY 13905

The third, increasingly popular option is Venmo; if that's your preferred way of moving money around, my handle is @MichaelDavidSharp (the last four digits of my phone are 4878, in case Venmo asks you, which I guess it does sometimes, when it's not trying to push crypto on you, what the hell?!)

All Paypal contributions will be gratefully acknowledged by email. All Venmo contributions will get a little heart emoji, at a minimum :) All snail mail contributions will be gratefully acknowledged with hand-written postcards. I. Love. Snail Mail. I love seeing your gorgeous handwriting and then sending you my awful handwriting. It's all so wonderful. My daughter (Ella Egan) has once again designed my annual thank-you cards, and once again those cards feature (wait for it) cats! My cats: Alfie & Ida. This year, an elegant set of five!



These really capture the combination of beauty and goofiness that I love in cats (and puzzles, frankly). I'd say "Collect All Five!" but every snail-mail contributor will get just one and (hopefully) like it! Please note: I don't keep a "mailing list" and don't share my contributor info with anyone. And if you give by snail mail and (for some reason) don't want a thank-you card, just indicate "NO CARD." Again, as ever, I'm so grateful for your readership and support. Please know that your support means a lot to me and my family. Now on to today's puzzle... 

• • •

The most notable thing about this puzzle was how easy it was. I have never solved a Thursday with this little resistance. After initially wanting OOZE or LAVA at 1A: Semiliquid stuff (GOOP), I checked the shortest cross, 4D: Ice cream units, which really seemed to want to be PINTS. After I wrote in PINTS, I never looked at another clue that I didn't know instantly (or with a few seconds' cogitation). Not one clue. Not one. I have never experienced anything like this on a Thursday. I've barely experienced anything like it on a Monday. Now, I always look at the clue for the answer that it seems I'm mostly likely to get, i.e. the one that has the most letters already in the grid, or has letters in such unusual positions that the answer options seem like they'd be significantly narrowed. I'm always playing the percentages, that is, in terms of what I give my attention to. But still, I had to move on from *zero* clues today. Hmmm, it's possible my first thought for 3D: How detectives might start their investigation was ON SPEC. But OMEARA NAP ONATIP OMNI GOBLIN bam bam bam no hesitation, and that just kept happening, all the way to ALBEIT in the SE corner, the last thing in the grid. I got to the revealer so fast that I actually slowed down and started paying attention to how I was solving. Could I make it through the *whole* thing without ever once having to move on from a clue I couldn't guess? I'm excluding the themers from this discussion—but only the first one, because after the first one, I got them all without even having to look at their clues. I made a game of it. And I wobbled a bit a couple times. Took me a few moments to get DAWN from DA- at 66A: Beginning, and a few more moments to get YELLOW from YE- at 52A: Discolor from age. But I did it. Coast to coast, no misses. Absurd for a Thursday. Not what I want from a Thursday at all. But once I turned it into a private little game of "Can I Do It!?" the easiness didn't rankle as much. This is why I solve Downs-Only on Mondays—gotta give myself an extra challenge to make ultra-easy puzzles more interesting.


Now the theme. I like it, but the execution, the logic ... it feels upside-down to me. Or reversed. Because if *I* am on mute, then ... you can't hear me talk ... but the problem is that I, the solver, am actually "hearing" extra talk, talk that is impeding my understanding of how the theme clue works. Only when I put *the puzzle* on mute (i.e. take out the word representing some form of speech) can I make sense of things. The one way I can make sense of the revealer is that with each theme answer, there is talk that is not being heard (just like you when YOU'RE ON MUTE). Still, there's a perspectival / grammatical confusion to the revealer that I wish weren't there. But for all that, it's still a cool idea. Ordinary words that, when you take out the "talk," make other words. It's a nifty trick. I only wish I actually had to pay attention to the clues to deal with the trick. 


I raced to the center of the grid before even looking at a theme answer, so ... this was me, maybe a minute in:


Wasn't sure at all what that was going to mean for the themers, so I got the remainder of BEANS- from crosses: DST SWAN DESI EWAN SALEM INKPAD, rat-a-tat, no stopping, which gave me BEANSTALK, which ... yeah, if I take out the "TALK" I get BEANS, which are [Chili ingredients] (note: this clue seems designed to cause drama, since whether chili needs or should even have beans in it is a matter of ongoing and occasionally heated contention). With the gimmick firmly in hand, I just filled in the remaining themers via crosses, waiting to see what word meaning (roughly) "talk" I could make out of the ends of the longer answers. Got MAGIC HAT entirely from crosses, which confirmed the gimmick, and then down below, those themers just seemed to fill themselves in. But the time I looked at them, I could see what they were from the letter patterns, no need to look at the clues. I don't have superpowers—this was just far too easy. 


The fill is a little on the dull side, *but* I appreciate that the grid does make the most of its few longer answers—the banks of longer Downs (two 7s and an 8) in the NE and SW are all really solid. OMEARA (old-school crosswordese) and ON A TIP (yuck) made me bristle early on, but the rest of the grid is smooth enough, mostly cringe-free. It's got a lot of familiar stuff, but it doesn't grate. It just kind of disappears into the background in order to let the theme shine. I think it disappears far too much, to the point of near insubstantiality, but at any rate, it never gets ugly, which I appreciate. Tighten the screws on this thing and you've got a lovely Thursday puzzle. As is, it's a Monday dressed up like Thursday. Looking forward to much more challenge this Friday and Saturday. See you then, I hope.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld 

P.S. the Holiday Pet Pictures keep coming in, thank you! Again, if you send them to me (rexparker at iCloud dot com), I will post them, so don't send anything you don't want public (I'll always hide your last name, don't worry). Here's Foxglove (belonging to Anthony B.), in both shy and less shy modes:


And here's Gary J's Henry, who opted for a somewhat more dignified pose than our friend Foxglove:


And here are a few more—with many more to come. All holiday pet photos joyfully accepted! Keep 'em coming!
[Monkey is the only gift you need!] (thanks, Curtiss)

[Eevee did not steal this bow, it was just sitting there, not guilty (thanks, Linda)]

[No peeking, Josie! (thanks, Hanna)]

["I Too Am Ornament!" cried Pip (thanks, Carol)]

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]

106 comments:

Anonymous 6:20 AM  

Totally agree with Rex on the theme feeling backwards. Was also my fastest Thursday solve ever.

Phillyrad1999 6:50 AM  

The cat pics are brilliant! The only answer I did not know instantly was Logan Roy’s brother. My only real objection is that the constructor thinks that Oreo is a Hydrox competitor. Hydrox is fine but it is what you eat when u cannot find an Oreo.

Conrad 6:51 AM  


I solved without reading the clues for the long acrosses, making it Easy-Medium for me.

icee before GOOP at 1A
thaI before DESI at 5A
rHo before PHI at 23A
Wanted ACT now for 39D but it didn't fit
I don't know yoga positions but TRIPOD at 45D was easily inferable


Andy Freude 6:55 AM  

OK, I guess I’m not a unique genius after all. The puzzle really was that easy.
Though my fellow Texans may disown me, I like a chili with plenty of beans. But Cincinnati style? You gotta draw the line somewhere.
Thanks, Rex, for posting a picture of Zakir Hussain, an amazing musician.

Anthony In TX 6:55 AM  

Fastest. Thursday. Ever.
I am sometimes annoyed by Thursdays because they get entirely too cute or self-impressed on occasion, but this just felt like they accidentally put a Tuesday in there instead.
Thanks for including my handsome boy Foxglove (aka Fox, Foxy, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Handsome-bo-bandsome, Jerk, Mr Sir Boy-Boy, etc). It's so fun to see everybody's pets!

Ben B 6:56 AM  

I was about 10 seconds off my Thursday PB, so no argument there. Probably that was only because I dropped in the revealer first with no themers in place and then thought about it for a bit.

PH 6:57 AM  

1 second off my record -- boo. Enjoyed the puzzle anyway!

My cat passed away last month, so I love seeing all the pet pics. Thanks for posting them :)

andrew 7:00 AM  

The only reason this wasn’t my fastest was I had a typo in LAPSE which made GPS answer sTAS (which I reasoned could be for bus or train stations.)

No resistance at all. In a Thursday, the day some confusion is supposed to reign.

The trick “payoff” was so banal. In the words of Norm MacDonald not getting an acid flashback, I feel gypped…

SouthsideJohnny 7:06 AM  

Not a fan - ignored the convoluted theme nonsense after they put BEAN STALKs in the in the chili. Seems like a waste of a good theme idea though.

It’s interesting to see how Tigger’s pal Marko has become pretty much standard crosswordese (due to all of the vowels I guess). He had a great career, including two majors - but boy I can barely remember him, I wonder how many people under 50 (who don’t do a lot of Xwords) would have a clue on that one.

For some reason I was thinking that the term DESI (as clued) was considered offensive, although a little post-solve recon indicates that for many it is a source of pride - I’ll accept that one on faith as I have no personal experience either way.

To further reinforce the fact that I’m no spring chicken I dropped SOAPS right in as well - do those things still get put on tv everyday? The only SOAP I ever watched was Dark Shadows - and that was well over a Half Century ago.

Anonymous 7:09 AM  

Shockingly easy. Within seconds of my fastest Thursday time ever. Slowed by the intersection of DESI and EWAN (the most obscure answers in the puzzle IMO), but easily discernible.

kitshef 7:13 AM  

Completely brilliant execution of a wonderful theme.

And yes, the clues needed to be toughened up some.

Nate 7:15 AM  

I took the theme clue to be what you would be saying to someone ON mute, e.g. if the beans are on mute, you might command them

"beans, talk!"

Karl Grouch 7:18 AM  

Darn, I always thought Mr. Arnaz was Cuban

Son Volt 7:21 AM  

Not the easiest ever according to my app time but pretty close. Neat theme - well filled but just too easy late week. Hate to be reminded of Zoom or Teams which are still going strong well after Covid - but liked PIKE SPEAK and BEANS TALK.

SWAN SWAN Hummingbird

The AMELIA x MARNE cross is a nice throwback. Learned CHARIOT - backed into OTTO and KEIRA. Am considering making a Christmas COLADA punch this year.

Pleasant enough Thursday solve - just far too easy.

MARY

Lewis 7:38 AM  

My favorite moment was uncovering YOU’RE ON MUTE. That brought a big “Hah!”, because even I, who hasn’t used Zoom all that much, could relate to that funny moment during a Zoom session when someone is talking but there’s no sound. Often, it’s followed by a comedy of errors when said person doesn’t know how to unmute.

As a bonus, this is the first time YOU’RE ON MUTE has appeared in a NYT puzzle.

I loved the Thursday-appropriate motif of the talking being cancelled to reveal the true answer to the clue, not to mention coursing through four palindromes (OTTO, ACA, NAN, SOS) and the lovely-to-me word ALBEIT.

A sweet first NYT puzzle, Esha, that I found had a penchant to ENCHANT. I’m very grateful, and congratulations on your debut!

Dr.A 8:01 AM  

Do you accept fish? I am so envious of all these cute pets!!! Darn my husband’s horrible chronic allergies. Oh well.
LOVE the pics though.

Peter P 8:03 AM  

It was fast, but still off record time for me. I would have had to have shaved another 25% of the time to get to that territory (though I did do it on the phone, which I fat finger the entries a lot.) But it was 60% of my average Thursday time, so quite fast indeed.

Overwrites include GlOP for GOOP, PsI for PHI, aye for YEA (I can never keep this one straight or is it a kealoa?). I wanted YOURElagging (which doesn't fit) for some reason, not YOUREONMUTE, but I've only done maybe a dozen Zoom meetings, UPendS for UPSETS.

Fun solve; felt more like Tuesday-Wednesday-ish to me.

Peter P 8:10 AM  

Oh, and random little thoughts: Hydrox pre-dates Oreo by about four years. My understanding is that it was popular in communities that did not eat pork as Oreos used to contain lard in the filling. Oreos weren't certified kosher until 1997. I know Hydrox used to have a plant out here in Chicago, yet I have no memory of ever having a Hydrox cookie. Possibly because I just don't like Oreos very much and never sought out sandwich cookies (the cookie itself I like, but the filling is meh.)

Bob Mills 8:12 AM  

Nice puzzle. It must have been easy, because I finished it without once getting angry on a Thursday. I had to guess at the DESI/EWAN cross, but got lucky and the music started. I also had to change "spin" to SKEW in order to get PIKESPEAK. Liked the clue for YEARBOOK.

I agree with Rex Parker that the theme answers contradicted the revealer. "Mute"" is the opposite of verbal. Maybe another solver can explain it.

Anonymous 8:34 AM  

Didn't get the theme at all until coming here, as I was parsing the themed answers differently:

BEAN STALK
MAGIC HAT
TIRE MARK
PIKES PEAK

The theme was neither a help nor a hindrance though. Not a record time for me, but my time was closer to my Tuesday/Wednesday average (6:30) than Thursday.

Anonymous 8:35 AM  

I wrote in slew and refused to budge for the longest time, Despite a fair amount of consternation

Sutsy 8:35 AM  

Never heard of Hydrox cookies before. Sounds more like a razor or detergent even a prescription medication. Can't imagine a glass of milk and Hydrox.

RooMonster 8:35 AM  

Hey All !
Pretty neat theme idea. Get rid of "talking" synonyms and get other things. But the thing with the babblings are still real answers.

This does seem more WedsPuz-ish. But a smooth, quick ThursPuz is not a demerit in my book. It doesn't UPSETS me.

Only two writeovers I can think I had, scADS-LOADS, KieRA-KEIRA, because I spell her name wrong Every. Time. I need her to be here with me so I can spell her name correctly next time. (Call me, KEIRA.)
🤣

Debut? Haven't read the comments yet, but a name I don't recognize. Nice job.

One F
RooMonster
DarrinV

pabloinnh 8:48 AM  

I somehow arrived at TIREMARK without having uncovered the revealer, so it made zero sense. Ditto for PIKESPEAK, but then I saw REMARK and SPEAK and aha!. So that was fun.

Have never seen "Succession", but that was the only unknown. Extra speedy indeed.

One nit-I'm not sure I have ever seen a GOBLIN costume. Any clues on what that might be?

Our nineteen-year old cat had his annual physical yesterday and he passed with flying colors. I think the key is being able to sleep for twenty two hours a day. Maybe he plans to live forever. So far so good, to quote Stephen Wright.

Nice Thursdecito, ED. Easy Does it, and a smooth ride all the way. Thanks for all the fun.

Smith 9:00 AM  

Just checking that @Rex also thought it was the easiest Thursday *ever*! Well, maybe not, if you count totally grokking the theme as part of the solution. Couldn't figure out what the mute part meant until I got here. But otherwise it was a "read clue, enter answer" puzzle.

Smith 9:03 AM  

@Southside
Re soaps:
Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman...?

EasyEd 9:09 AM  

I think @Nate has the best interpretation of the theme as a kind of frustrated exhortation to someone who is muted—PIKE, SPEAK! Super easy for a Thursday but inventive fun theme.

Jim in Canada 9:11 AM  

Chili can have beans or not.
But if you (and especially restaurant menu writers) want to call it "Texas chili" then it must be meat and spices and that's it.
No beans, no tomatoes, no nothing else but meat and spices.

(I grew up in Texas before upgrading to Canada at age 50)

Nancy 9:13 AM  

Look, I'm not a cook. And therefore I swallowed the first theme answer whole (pun intended) -- even though I should have taken it with a grain of salt (second pun also intended.)

"Wow!" I thought. "You put in an entire BEANSTALK when you make chili?! Who knew?"

Now, admittedly, I was thinking of something more the size of a celery stalk or an asparagus stalk than the humongous thing that Jack climbed. But still...

This puzzle was a lot easier to fill in than it was to parse. I'm staring at the clue for 50A, wanting simply TI as the note after la -- and being baffled by the incredible length of the answer that had to go in there. In fact, I read the number of the clue 3 times in the clue and another 3 times in the grid to make sure I was putting the right answer in the right place. (My eyesight isn't what it used to be and sometimes I don't.)

And then TI REMARK (so DOOK-y, btw) finally DAWNed on me.

A very clever and unusual theme that I loved. I wish the rest of the cluing had been brought up to Thursday level, though. This did play unusually easy for a Thursday puzzle.

Whatsername 9:16 AM  

Busy day ahead so I worked this last night. I finished, looked at the theme entries and wondered what I was missing. I got how MUTE is connected to TALK, CHAT, REMARK and SPEAK but still felt like there ought to be more to it. I went to Wordplay in the wee hours seeking an explanation but did not learn anything I didn’t already know. With due respect to the constructor, I’ve concluded it’s my own lack of Zoom experience which impedes my appreciation of the theme conceit. And although I don’t share the enthusiasm expressed by others, it was still a pleasurable solve.

I am however thrilled about the FAB photos of everyone’s fur ANGELS. What a group of beauties today! <3


egsforbreakfast 9:23 AM  

Sometimes I'll YELLOW if I stub my toe or find myself discoloring with age. Slight side eye to AGE in the YELLOW clue and being a separate answer (22D).

What's the difference between ANGEL and an GOOP? I could write ANODE about it.

Ilike the themers. The revealer doesn't work well. And the clues were orders of magnitude too easy for a Thursday.

Nickyboy 9:25 AM  

Found a mistake that Will Shortz has let slip by a few times before: 21 across- Only country with a non-rectangular flag (Nepal).
Wrong! Switzerland and the Vatican both have square flags. Ok, ok...I hear you. YES, a square IS by definition a rectangle. But it isn't a long rectangle like those of most other countries. And, by the way, they are the only two countries with square flags (use that as a clue some time, Will!)
OK, so did I just argue myself out of my complaint? Nertz.

Anonymous 9:29 AM  

My only gripe is Hydrox. I've never seen or heard of this, so I had to google. Why do constructors insist on using the most obscure nonsense on earth? These cookies were discontinued over 20 years ago.

Sam 9:38 AM  

Nowhere close to a personal best Thursday time 😬

Anonymous 9:51 AM  

Rex, how do you actually do the downs- only on Monday?

Sandy Meyersfield 9:59 AM  

Can anyone explain how Peter Lorre was the first actor to play a Bond villain?

Beezer 10:04 AM  

Clever and fun puzzle that was half of my average time but not my PB. During CoVid and prior to retirement I was in a lot of Zoom meetings so YOUREONMUTE went in very quick. The other side to that is when you tell someone that they need to MUTE because every paper they shuffle is being amplified by their microphone!

Ok. Did ANYONE put in GOaLiE mask at 1D due to Jason in the Friday the 13th movies? Yeah, like @pabloinnh, I’m not sure I’d know a GOBLIN mask if I saw one.

Anonymous 10:13 AM  

I simply don’t look at Across clues. Turns out you can infer a lot of Acrosses once you get enough Downs in place, and then letters from those inferred Acrosses help you get Downs you couldn’t get at first, and so on… ~RP

Anonymous 10:16 AM  

Nobody is bothered by DST? There's _ST and _DT, fill in the blank for your part of the country. But what's DST?

Anonymous 10:19 AM  

One second at a search engine could tell u it’s Daylight Saving Time

CDilly52 10:22 AM  

I might have thought GOaLIe but had already gotten BEANSTALK because I thought that the detective might have started ON foot. Not.

jberg 10:23 AM  

I did see how the theme answers worked, and appreciated that the clue answers were not simply the first word of the whole unmuted answer. But I didn't quite parse the revealer until I read Rex.

A little harder for me, partly because, like @Nancy, I tend to misread clue numbers so I put in scoops at 3D rather than PINTS at 4D, and partly because I had MeusE before MARNE. But mainly because I hadn't figured out MAGI CHAT, and went with odorS for the sour milk. But then I got to the revealer and it all came together pretty quickly.

I never buy either of those cookies, but apparently the Hydrox brand was sold and revived in 2015.

The TABLA brought back some fond memories. About 40 years ago we went to hear Ravi Shankar, who was then a big star, but quickly realized that Alla Rakha, who played the TABLA with him, was just as good. Shankar knew this, and praised him. Often they were basically playing duets.

After a couple of petless years, we acquired two cats yesterday. They're still getting used to us and the house, which they do by hiding in a closet--so I can't send you any photos, Rex. Maybe in a few days.

nalpac 10:25 AM  

Nothing to add about this record time Thursday puzzle. I did however get to see an extraordinary concert some years ago with Zakir Hussain on tabla, Bela Fleck on Banjo, and Edgar Meyer on stand up bass.

CDilly52 10:30 AM  

This was the easiest Thursday in my long solving history. Well, there might have been one just as easy but I certainly can’t recall one. Not that easy is a bad thing. Who knows how many solvers might finish this and decide to become a regular?

Anyway, back to my slower spots. I breezed through until the SE where I momentarily thought Amount and didn’t even start to write it in because of the plural and since it is plural my realization that it must therefore be AWAKES. Thanks to my years as a “Percussion Groupie” (significant others and dear friends of percussionists who help lug truckloads of instruments and help percussionists set up at performance sites) I knew TABLA which gave me ALBEIT. Bob is indeed my uncle.

Anonymous 10:31 AM  

Very very easy. I fell 35 seconds short of my Thursday best.

Anonymous 10:31 AM  

Ha! That’s just what I thought. Hydrox is an Oreo competitor not the other way around. Do they even HAVE Hydrox anymore? I never see them.

Peter P 10:33 AM  

@Anonymous 9:29. I don't think Hydrox is any more obscure than a lot of stuff that passes through the NYT puzzle. I'm GenX and I've heard of it, and my daughters are both less than ten and they brought it up in conversation this year, no doubt because of some YouTube short or some kind of meme they saw, so it does seem to still be floating around in pop culture.

And, yes, it sounds like it should be a laundry detergent or industrial cleanser rather than anything edible.


Anonymous 10:34 AM  

Don’t rain on my parade “easiest Thursday of all time”.

Carola 10:39 AM  

Really clever! That is, now that I understand it, thanks to @Rex. I did see that we were adding synonyms relating to TALKing, and that helped me feel to secure about MAGICHAT, to figure out TIREMARK, and to get PIKESPEAK in a trice, but I did not see how those expressions related to being ON MUTE. The second time this week that @Rex has SCHOOLed me, if you know what I mean; one of the reasons I so appreciate this blog.

I'm emergency-room level allergic to cats, but not in photos, thank goodness. Thank you to all the pet owners who've provided the sweet entertainment.

Anonymous 10:42 AM  

I don’t understand DESI or DST? Also, I’m always amazed at how opposite Rex and I are sometimes on challenge level. I found the cluing on this to be insanely vague. “Frightening Halloween costume”?? Why is a GOBLIN any more “frightening” than anything else? Who’s ever heard of a TABLA? Or MARNE for that matter? And I understand the clue for ANGEL (darling) but that feels like such an absurdly vague clue for that very specific word, I have no idea how Rex could have possibly just known that. Found this one really challenging, and the revealer just made me wonder why I was missing an “RE” somewhere. Didn’t get it at all til I read this explanation. ::angry rant over::

Anonymous 10:43 AM  

He starred in the James Bond TV series in the 50s

Gary Jugert 10:45 AM  

Thank you 🦖 for the holiday photos! It's so exciting to see them all.

Blazed through this one. I finished my semester at school yesterday, so I guess I'm super smart today, or this was in my wheelhouse. Probably the latter.

HYDROX/TRIPOD cross would've been gruesome, but my wife is sitting here suffering through the aftershock of the Shingles vaccine and doing Connections right now and she knew the OREO knockoff. How, after all these OREOS in the NYTXW, have I never learned Hydrox?

Public service message: I've had Shingles on my face and I've suffered through the vaccine. In my experience I would take the vaccine a zillion times over the real deal. It's a dreadful affliction.

Man oh man we've struggled with themes this week. This reveal seems weirdly clunky, but I sorta see the joke, so points awarded for the effort. Maybe they've got an intern from the city college filling in for the Theme-Dude.

Oh, and on a clear day, I can see Pike's Peak from my bedroom window.

Uniclues:

1 Plant a future Jack ladder.
2 That's not made by what you seem to think it's made from.
3 Warning sign near a grotto.
4 The Pacific ocean, apparently.
5 Stir in Love Potion #9 in the Caymans.

1 ENACT BEAN STALK (~)
2 YELLOW TIRE MARK (~)
3 GOBLIN! ACT FAST!
4 UPSETS AMELIA (~)
5 ENCHANT COLADA

My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: The main function of church. LIMITS LAVISHED.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JD 10:51 AM  

There was a point where I ignored the cluing for theme answers and just filled in the word it appeared to be from the crosses. That made it super easy and convinced me that the Spelling Bee was wrong and I'm still a genius.

The theme still makes no sense to me (those aren't names so who's on mute), but I'm dense and the puzzle was all the fun I needed.

Newboy 10:52 AM  

Enjoying the kitty pix as much as today’s grid. Only speed bump was the embarrassment of LAPSING on the ACÁ which led to mojito. Crossing clues helped mix the COLADA & that SIDE was done.

Niallhost 10:54 AM  

Agree that this was very easy. My biggest hang-up was in the SE where I was sure that combo meal choice was SIzE and could not figure out a rum drink that had a Z. Eventually realized that something had to be wrong there, and noticed that COLADA made sense. Had tulips before IRISES. aye before YEA. A brain glitch had Tuscany in France for a while before crosses clued me in on CHIANTI. Got YOUREONMUTE immediately and could figure out that the theme answers included the right answer with the act of talking added on, and that the combination made new phrases, but never fully understood why that was so until I read the write-up and I'm still not sure that I understand it.

mathgent 10:56 AM  

Is MAGICHAT a thing? The only Google hit I got was for a defunct beer company.

kitshef 10:57 AM  

@Sandy Meyersfield 9:59 - Lorre played Le Chiffre in a 1954 episode of the television show "Climax!". The first time Bond appeared in in film or on TV.

Hydrox were discontinued but then resumed. I have some in my pantry right now. They go better with milk than Oreos do.

dukieboy 10:57 AM  

Agree about being easiest Thursday puzzle. And I've been solving them since 1973.

Joe Dipinto 11:06 AM  

I don't think this theme has any idea what it's doing. If you read the themers as directives ("Beans, talk!"), as @Nate suggested, there's some logic to it, but "You're on mute" implies you can see the beans *are* talking but you can't hear them, so why would you tell them to talk? You'd tell them to take themselves off mute. And what is being "misunderstood", as per the revealer clue? It's a totally confused mess.

As a kid we only ever had Hydrox cookies at my house, never Oreos. I used to love them.

Who here remembers Dino, Desi & Billy?

GILL I. 11:08 AM  

Here's my pathetic story:
I've never had a zoom meeting. I'm sure everyone on this planet probably did during the pandemic but I just made olive bread and perfected my chocolate candy.
YOUR ON MUTE came easily and my thoughts are: SO WHAT?
I go back to BEAN STALK and thought for sure I'd MUTE that one particularly since I wouldn't put that in my chili.
I continue the zip zip. Until I came to names. I forgot that Peter LORRE (or however his name was spelled) was a villain. I needed his E at the end of his name to figure out TIRE MARK. You see, I still didn't know what was going on. Don't get me started on 51D KEIRA. She's placed in a crucial spot. Not knowing her name fouled up my not understanding TIRE MARK nor PIKES PEAK.
Note to constructors or maybe the editors: Please don't do that. A name plunked in that is not only difficult to spell, but unheard of, gunks up the engine.
Here I was just filling in answers here and yon and not knowing why. Thursday... my curse day.
I will spare you TRIPOD. He's lurking in that KEIRA corner. Meh. OK...So I had to look up her name.
I'm done. I stare. I smoke a cigarette. I pour my self a martini. I slip into my kimono hoping the silk fabric will jog something. Nada. I go to sleep.
I come to @Rex in the morning like I always do. He provides the reasons why. Oh....so that's it. It's all about talk that is not heard. Being me, I'd just hang up.
I FaceTime....No MUTE for me. Just happy grandkid faces.
I think I'll send a picture of my two fur babies. Moe and Curly don't climb Christmas trees but they sure do snore. Both going on 14 and still full of spunk......



jae 11:19 AM  

Easy. This was one of those where the answers were coming so quickly that I didn’t stop solving to figure out what was going on. I’ve been on exactly one Zoom call in my life so, even after I finished staring at the completed grid, I still wasn’t sure what was going on. I get that the theme answers make sense when you delete the speech word, but how does this relate to Zoom?

Cute, liked it.

jb129 11:21 AM  

It wasn't your typical Thursday, for sure, but a pleasant change from the usual rebus (not fond of them).

Congratulations on your debut, Esha!

@PH - so sorry for your loss.

Loved the xmas kitty pics!

EdFromHackensack 11:25 AM  

that was the most unThursday Thursday in all of Thursdaydom. EWAN in Succession is kind of unfair. He is a very, very minor character. Loved the clue for MARY. I showed it to my wife, Mary. Couldn’t get A Man Called OVE out of my head (the title was changed for the Hanks movie)

Pete 11:35 AM  

@Anon 10:42 DESI is the term for the diaspora of peoples from South East Asia. India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc. I didn't like the clue, as DESIs may well be people who've never been to Asia, and someone here on vacation from South East Asia isn't a DESI, but this is crosswords after all. DST = Daylight Savings Time.

I'll look for the picture of a partridge that showed up in my yard on Xmas morning one year, and of the one of the fox who took a nap just outside my family room another Xmas morning.

jb129 11:45 AM  

@ Beezer Wednesday 5:19 pm

I had to see Cinnamon's face on the blog again (so exciting!) so I thank you for your comment on Wednesday (I hope you see this). I'm sorry for your loss. Chloe (BC - before Cinnamon) was 16 when she went to the Bridge in 2013 (hence, my email user name - I wonder why you couldn't email me - ???). So THANK YOU for your comment & of course, once again, to Rex for making it all happen :)

Anonymous 11:48 AM  

I am suddenly embarrassed that I had a pretty average Thursday time!

thfenn 11:50 AM  

Glad (or sorry) this was so super easy for most of you. Not me. Couldn't figure out the theme. Had the reveal first (after "yourmicsoff" and "youaremuted"), but then sat there thinking the themers must have a "ur" in them that's "muted". Took me all the way to realizing that if I just got rid of remark I'd have the the TI I need. Then I figured if "note after la" is a remark about TI, I need some way to speak about pike. Good lord I made this as hard as I could. Then the light finally went off, or on I guess, and I was done. But not until I got through fussing with AYE/YES/YEA. Maybe a little easier than normal but not the complete piece of fluff most of you blew through. Enjoyed it, though.

Anonymous 11:56 AM  

Hydrox predates Oreo by 4 years. As per Wikipedia, “Oreo was created in 1912 as an imitation of Hydrox. Oreo eventually surpassed Hydrox in popularity, which resulted in the Hydrox cookies being perceived by many as an Oreo off-brand.”

Beezer 12:01 PM  

@Joe DiPinto…I was 9 when they were on Ed Sullivan, so I had a big crush on all three! I just Googled, and had forgotten about Dean Martin,Jr.’s tragic death at age 35.

Anonymous 12:03 PM  

Absolutely the easiest Thursday. I (one of the ‘weak’ solvers mentioned over last weekend) flew through this in Monday time. Hydrox predates Oreos and always tasted better to me. Love the cat photos!

Peter P 12:05 PM  

@mathgent - MAGIC HAT brewing is still alive and well. They did close their Vermont brewery, but moved to Rochester. I see their beers in the store all the time (Magic Hat #9 being the big one.)

MAGIC HAT as a concept exists, like in the sense of pulling a rabbit out of a hat. If you image search "MAGIC HAT" you'll find mostly magician's top hats. Also, try Googling "what is a magic hat" to not get the beers stuff. Or just "magic hat -brewery -beer."

Then, of course, we have the other parsing: MAGI CHAT, which is the playful made-up half of the answer that goes with the clue.

Amy 12:11 PM  

Extremely easy!
Maybe the revealer they were after was actually something like, "Please mute."

Masked and Anonymous 12:15 PM  

Good puz, altho, yeah … how the revealer clue/answer related to the themers ain't exactly what one would expectorate. Confused the M&A.

So, I guess the the themers are like answers to their clues, plus extra yakkin that isn't relevant, cuz you're on mute? Or somesuch. Just can't quite convince myself that I've got the directorate connection down there, yet.

staff weeject pick: DOI. As in … DO I just mute the themers' extra prattle words and move on?

Some nice longball entries, along the puzgrid sides. Not very many no-knows or ?-marker clues, so this ThursPuz played pretty easy, at our house. Most of the precious nanoseconds got spent tryin to get the revealer to play right in my head.

Thanx for the fun, Ms. Datta darlin. And congratz on a clever debut. Just curious whether someone rewrote yer original revealer clue, tho.

Masked & Anonymo2Us

p.s. Only about 10 shoppin days left …

**gruntz**

Masked and Anonymous 12:17 PM  

p.p.s.s.
@RP: primo pet pics.

Go ahead and take a bow, Eevee.

M&Also

Whatsername 12:23 PM  


@Joe (11:06) Thank you. I also wondered where the “misunderstanding” came into play. Hydrox cookies were all I ever had as a kid too. As I recall, they were cheaper than Oreos. Maybe that’s why I like them and to this day I can’t stand Oreos.

Liveprof 12:29 PM  

I think the fellas in marketing dropped the ball on HYDROX. What kind of name is that for a cookie? It sounds like a detergent. Or maybe a medication for bloating.

I felt the same way when McDonalds introduced the McWrap. What were they thinking?

Anoa Bob 12:55 PM  

I'm in the camp that liked the themers but couldn't quite get the reveal to match up with them. Rex says that "for the theme answers to make sense, you have to mute them" but the reveal says that already YOU'RE ON MUTE. And who is the YOU'RE referring to, me the solver or to some unidentified third person? And what the hello is a Zoom meeting? Guess I better just LET IT GO.

I made LOADS of piña COLADAs in my grad school bartending days but never just a 48D COLADA. Just checked and one of the meanings of COLADA is dirty clothes (ropa sucio)!

I misread OFL's early blog comment as "After I wrote in PINTS, I never looked at another clue. Not one clue. Not one." I thought holy cow, he solves Downs only on Mondays and now he solves Thursdays without even looking at the clues?!! Wow, how do you do that? Put on a MAGIC HAT? Oh, upon further review I see I skipped over the "...that I didn't know instantly (or without a few seconds' cogitation". Had me going there for a while.

Kid Phoneme 1:01 PM  

Naticked with DoSI/oWAN and was too lazy to hunt it down. But hopefully somewhere down the line I'll remember it's Desi.

It's a rare day when my cat BEAN'S TALK doesn't wake me at 5:47.

bocamp 1:02 PM  

Thx, Esha, for the disappearing ACTs; esp loved the MAGIC HAT! 🎩

Med (downs-only; likely a one-off for a Thurs.).

Quickly picked up on the theme (more or less); at least enuf to be a big help with the solve).

SW was the toughest.

LOADS of fun; liked it a lot! :)

@PH (6:57 AM)

Condolences for the passing of your pet. 🙏
___
Peace 🕊 🇺🇦 ~ Compassion ~ Tolerance ~ Kindness ~ Freudenfreude & a DAP to all 👊 🙏

okanaganer 1:03 PM  

Mark O'MEARA was a great golfer... 25 years ago. His last PGA win was 1998, so a better clue would be something like "Golf legend Mark".

Last weekend was a team tournament won by Jason Day and Lydia Ko. They had the shortest team name by a long shot, only 5 letters total. KODAY would be a good answer for a special PGA golf puzzle.

My chili contains meat, beans, tomato, onion, mushrooms, and corn. I think it's just fine.

[Spelling Bee: Wed 0; QB streak 11 days!]

mathgent 1:06 PM  

@Peter P (12:05). I should have seen that a MAGICHAT is what a rabbit emerges from. Thanks.

Anonymous 1:09 PM  

Stumbled through the first two themers , then hit the revealer and got an actual AHA moment feeling instead of a curled lip or raised eyebrow, so: I liked the theme

Agree easy but not drivelly. Never turn down an easy Thursday!

Anonymous 1:35 PM  

Was a breeze for me until a DNF in the southeast.

For me, SIZE was an easy fill for “Combo Meal Choice”, TAB_A is a cross I don’t know (although I guessed L based on the name of a former Indian restaurant in NYC), and I was left with Colaza, which is a perfectly reasonable name for an obscure Rum drink I’ve never heard of.

I probably get COLADA if I fill in a different order (although I’ve never heard the drink referred to without Piña), but that ‘Z’ did not want to budge no matter how many times I looked at the crosses.

Newboy 1:59 PM  

@Anoa Bob cracked me up since I always assumed that Rex possessed a MAGIC HAT to solve in his listed times. When I first started to follow Rex about 15+ years ago, he posted amazingly fast times in comparison to the glacial progress I experienced as a neophyte. But today’s hint to solve Monday with only down clueing may revitalize my waning interest in NYTXW early week offerings. Puzzling on how to avoid the across clues on iPad ? Maybe a construction paper mask on a print out? Any ideas on how to print from an iPad using the latest NYT software “improved” version?

Penna Resident 3:29 PM  

i dont agree with the complaints on the theme. i liked it even tho it was easy. the misunderstanding is that the clue/answer pairings dont hear the voice. so the fact that the voice is removed makes the clue misunderstand what the answer really is. eg, the cluer thinks the answer is BEANS and gives a clue for that word because the voice is missing. if the voice was heard a different clue would have been given. ==> misunderstanding.

Anonymous 3:29 PM  

It’s magic hat: like tire mark and Pikes Peak you gotta put a space in there. Like, the thing a magician pulls a rabbit out of? Or Mickey’s from The Sorcerer’s Apprentice. Also, I think the brewery is still brewin’.

Sandy McCroskey 4:49 PM  

I immediately thought of YOU'RE ON MUTE and quite confidently wrote it in.
Very fast solve after that!
The way I understood the gimmick is that if you put quotation marks around those clues, they would be something said, and thus fit the answer.

ac 5:45 PM  

wish ny times had you on crossword editorial advisory 'board' just to clean up things at least..

that's my holiday wish! ho ho ho!

Anonymous 7:04 PM  

True about Hydrox being discontinued.
But
Not as obscure as you think.
I have been frustrated at times when an answer is a gimme to so many here and I have no idea!
It is an age thing, partially, as most older people would get the answer immediately. But also reference to Hydrox has come up in this puzzle before.
The clue was not at all unfair. Note that only one or two people here were unaware of it

Anonymous 7:21 PM  

DST for daylight savings time is one of the most common crosswordese, so you need to remember it. DST will be in a puzzle near you soon!
Desi has appeared here several times before. It is a term South Asians sometimes call themselves especially overseas.
Tabla as the comments show, is fairly well known, especially by baby boomers.
Note that almost everyone found it easy
So Rex is right.

Ed 7:36 PM  

My beef with the theme: if you hit “mute” after the first syllable of 50A you get “tie.” The solfedge note after La is pronounced TEE not TIE.

Anonymous 9:02 PM  

Yes! That was my interpretation, too.

Penna Resident 10:28 PM  

and whats with all the fake news about hydrox being a cookie of the past. i mean, yeah, they stopped making them and then another company took over the brand name and makes them with a different recipe, but since the point is the brand name....it still exists. even if it isnt the original company.
i mean, people think that american airlines bought usair, but it was actually the other way around. usair changed their name to american after buying them. you never know about brand names.

Anonymous 12:09 AM  

Odd
I have seen the note spelled TI.
I have never seen it spelled any other way.
The source of the spelling is Italian. and English speakers adopted the Italian way of pronouncing it when it was introduced into English.
Nothing wrong with the answer

jc 7:50 AM  

Thanks for the cat photos. Big cat lover here, but now would rather travel than scoop poop and pay a sitter. 😼

TAB2TAB 11:50 AM  

Is it possible that the world declares this the easiest Thursday ever and I get stuck? Picture this:

55A Snoops around with P--ES, which of course I plonk in PokES
32D Peter, Bond Villain with LOR-E, didn't know the fella but figured LORnE, or LORRE, and I chose unwisely.
44D Necessity for Venetian transport with -AO, I was thinking is this some kind of meta-answer, and figured it must be tAO, somehow did not connect Venetian=Venice=Boat.
45D Yoga position with -RKPOD, was scratching my head, but couldn't only guess aRKPOD.

So then I was left with 42A Vehicle at the center of the Hindu Festival Ratha Yatra, and I've got CHAnIta ... seemed plausible, but the real cruelty is it never occurred to me that PokES was wrong which made it hugely difficult to troubleshoot.

I wish I could say it was easiest puzzle ever, but...



Ed Myskowski 4:53 PM  

Better late than never, I hope -- love the closing comment by Rex re the missed opportunity to creatively clue Darin as "Singer Bobby with the brave-soundin' last name", but was a quick entry for me either way>

Anonymous 7:30 AM  

Where do old golfers go to die? Why, the crossword, of course. ELS, OMEARA. They're right there with ALOU, TRIS, OTT, and SOSA. I wish I had a short name with only vowels and high frequency consonants.

Despite the visit by Mr. Mark, who hasn't been a thing since before I started solving puzzles 25+ years ago, this was a very rapid solve.

Anonymous 10:20 AM  

That’s two good ones in a row. I did not know about PIKESPEAK until I came here. Great debut. Bravo Esha Datta!

Waxy in Montreal 11:08 AM  

After finishing this in Thursday record time, my first thought was that our local newspaper had mistakenly printed a Monday puzzle. Checked and indeed Dec. 14, 2023 was a Thursday. So was left speechless!

For me, the only saving grace was the inclusion of ALBEIT, one of the oddest contractions (although it be that) in English IMHO and one I try to slip into communications of all types whenever possible.

spacecraft 11:41 AM  

Wow. It must be me. Well, the easy vote is not unanimous. I had a good deal of trouble with this. To begin with, the theme was very convoluted and I had to work around it for an EON till I saw what was going on. Just not my wheelhouse (never participated in a "zoom meeting" and never will).

And Smarty-pants KNEW that the Hindu festival vehicle was a CHARIOT? And DESI?? And NEPAL's flag? And a few other goodies I'll LET [IT] GO? Well, good for him. Good for all of you, I guess.

However, nothing very objectionable in the fill; par. SEEYOU (No, it's see ya! Let's keep it real!)

Wordle bogey after three wrong guesses at GGGBG. Not my day.

Burma Shave 1:00 PM  

FAST TALK

LET us CHAT about ENACT
DEALING with what YOU DO,
IT UPSETS me, that's A fact,
but when DOI SEEYOU?

--- MRS. AMELIA O'MEARA

Diana, LIW 5:32 PM  

Neither hard nor easy for me.

Got the "trick" after finishing - mum's the word, eh?

agree with most of what @Spacey said - CHARIOT? DESI? nah

Diana, LIW

rondo 5:38 PM  

OK, we've got the CHIANTI, are they fava BEANS? You better have the brains to get that reference. Haha.
If I could count the times I've heard YOUREONMUTE during Zoom, Teams, etc. meetings. . .
Noticed: YOUREONMUTE ONATIP; YOU/YOURE crossing, for shame.
KEIRA Knightly, YEA baby.
Wordle eagle!!!!

rondo 5:45 PM  

BTW, the flag for Vatican City is also square (not only NEPAL). Recent Jeopardy answer.

Brett Alan 12:23 AM  

@Rondo: A square is a type of rectangle. There are other square flags, but Nepal's flag isn't any kind of rectangle, or even a quadrilateral. It's sort of two overlapping triangles, and has five sides.

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP