Rigatoni relative / TUES 4-19-22 / Penultimate word in a fairy tale / Christmastime concoction

Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Constructor: Olivia Mitra Framke

Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium. Avery- 6:29. Sammy- 6:47.



THEME: Things That Strike — All theme clues use the word strike in a different way.


Theme answers:
  • BOWLING BALL (16A: What might be rolled for a strike)
  • MIDNIGHT (25A: What a clock might strike)
  • LIGHTNING (37A: What might strike during a storm)
  • EMPLOYEE (52A: Who might go on strike)
  • INSPIRATION (62A: What might strike you during this puzzle)
Word of the Day: Edward James OLMOS (13A: Actor Edward James ______)

Edward James Olmos (born February 24, 1947) is an American actor, director, producer, and activist.[2] He is best known for his roles as Lieutenant Martin "Marty" Castillo in Miami Vice (1984–1989), actor in and director of American Me (1992), William Adama in the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica (2004–2009), teacher Jaime Escalante in Stand and Deliver (1988), and Detective Gaff in Blade Runner (1982) and its sequel Blade Runner 2049 (2017). In 2018, he played the father of two members of an outlaw motorcycle club in the FX series Mayans MC. (Wikipedia)
• • •

Good morning! For those experiencing unseasonable snows, our hearts are with you. For those without power or clear roads, you are in the same boat as our regular crossword king. So we are writing about the crossword today! Our names are Avery and Sammy, housemates and good pals. We’re about to graduate from Rex’s alma mater; today is, in fact, our last day of undergrad. Doing the crossword together/competing for speed-solve champion is a longstanding tradition for us two amateur solvers and novice bloggers. Here we go!


We do have to say, "strike" is a nice word. It feels powerful. But as far as themers go, it’s just a word that has a lot of definitions. And because the theme word itself is in every themer clue, it was hard to feel any level of INSPIRATION. BOWLING BALL is fun enough, and represents an (arguably) fundamentally different use of the word “strike” than the rest of the themers. Since baseball season is revving up (Go Tigers! This is their year), it isn’t necessarily the sports/strike usage I (Sammy) would go with, but no complaints. The use of “strike” for EMPLOYEE is also distinct (though more on that later). However, MIDNIGHT, LIGHTNING, and INSPIRATION all invoke roughly the same image. Given the choice of word, it is a solid array. But why this word? What made “strike” so striking to warrant an NYT crossword?




Speaking of strike, and the appearance of ETSY, keep an eye on what’s happening with the online artisan crafter marketplace. After two years of record profits, the platform announced that they are hiking their seller fees by 30%. Thousands of sellers organized to protest this fee increase by putting their shops in “vacation mode”, or temporarily deactivating them, starting April 11th. A petition to cancel the fee increase has reached nearly 85,000 signatures from sellers and supporters. 

It may be just about the only way to get TSY in a four-letter word but, if you’re going to play on the word "strike" for your theme, it feels AMISS to not include the national rise in labor organizing in a more thoughtful way. Single EMPLOYEEs don't generally go on strike solo (52A: Who might go on strike). Whole groups do. They organize. That’s the whole point.

The rest of the grid put up little resistance, and the theme made it almost…slippery. With all the single black squares peppered throughout the center, there were no crafty, satisfying downs to offset the somewhat lackluster themers.


Part of the smoothness of solving this puzzle was the proper nouns. The only name/name cross was GOGH/OLMOS, one of which barely felt like a name, and the other I (Avery) was able to get through the crosses. GOGH, or VAN GOGH, feels to me almost like a noun. “Oh, this one over here, this is my favorite Van Gogh”, ya know? Neither of us had ever heard the name Edward James OLMOS, but we were both born in 2000 (EEK!) and have little interest in cop television. His face does look familiar, now that I (Avery) am staring at his Wikipedia page. And he has kind eyes.

Some highlights:
  • VELOUR is an excellent imagistic word. My (Sammy) favorite answer in the grid. Everyone looks good in a velour tracksuit and if you don’t think so, try one on.

  • TRYNA shows that the NYT doesn’t get modern slang wrong all of the time (only much of it). This is, to my ear, a correct use of the word TRYNA. I imagine this answer might be a sticking point for some, but the acrosses should be easy enough to get it done.

  • If it wasn’t Passover, I (Sammy) might make baked ZITI for dinner. And the STANZA cross was nice.

  •  The NCAA makes more than 85% of its revenue from March Madness. Presumably, the other 15% comes from crossword royalties given how frequently it’s mentioned.

  • I (Avery) had an embarrassing stumble at 35D (Name on Woody’s shoe in Toy Story). I wrote ALAN. I solve my crosswords alone in my room, usually first thing in the morning, which today was a good thing. No one was around to see the shame of forgetting the iconic ANDY across Woody’s shoe. Luckily the crosses were easy-peasy and I corrected myself quickly.


Thanks for having us! Stay warm.


Signed, 
Avery Sandstrum and Sammy Saperstien 

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]

36 comments:

Runs on Dunkin 10:42 AM  

Thanks for the write up and for filling in on no notice!

kitshef 10:51 AM  

Reposting on the replacement blog. Possible SE corner replacement:
ATL - EAR
VELOUR - VERONA
ETSY - AND I
MOANA - HENRY
ANNE - IDEA
AMA - AHI
LET ON - RATED
LAOTIAN - LEONINE
PLUS ONE - PANDORA
TRYNA - RAINY

Beezer 10:52 AM  

Good review Avery and Sammy! I don’t know if I should comment here or the comments before…oh well.

I went through this puzzle faster than a speeding bullet so like @kishef I didn’t even see TRYNA until I read the comments. I guess I’m not good at doing a puzzle post-mortem because I never look back to read clues I missed and today I’m pretty sure I missed a ton. Pleasant enough puzzle that took way less of brain to solve than I normally use.

I did think the “bud or bait” clue for CHUM was very clever.

Whatsername 10:58 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous 11:01 AM  

TRYNA is 100+ years old.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tryna

Unknown 11:09 AM  

Tryna. Thumbs down on the non-word.

Whatsername 11:14 AM  

Reposting the heretofore vanished comment. Sympathy to those contending with the aftermath of the snowstorm. Puzzle did not exactly dazzle but was quite a good Tuesday for a beginning solver. A simple theme with a couple of areas where I had to dig down to find the answer - like TRYNA which I got but really hated.

Had a TRYST with my PLUS ONE yesterday but there was nothing secret about it since it was in a hospital room. I was so tired I CRASHED like a bad computer when I got home. Why is it that just sitting/standing around is so exhausting?

When it comes to furever friends . . . ADOPT, don’t shop. And don’t even think about ABUSE!

Lewis 11:18 AM  

Some random reactions:
• This is a beautifully scrubbed grid, no ugliness or winces anywhere, IMO. May I impress upon you how much skill it takes to create such a sparkling grid?
• Oh, I did like TRYNA. It made me think. It made me smile. It made me realize how much I use it.
• Lots of beautiful answers: DEFT, MIRAGE, TRYSTS, STANZA, VELOUR, MOTIF.
• I can’t believe that in all the decades of NYT puzzles, INSPIRATION has never appeared in a puzzle before! Amazing!
• There’s a lovely schwa-cap parade: STANZA / MAXIMA / MOANA / GALA / MEDUSA / LIRA / TRYNA.
• It’s sweet to see ADD over PLUS ONE.

The smoothness and the end note of INSPIRATION left me with a good feeling, balm for the soul. Thank you for this lovely puzzle, Olivia!

jae 11:19 AM  

Top half easy bottom half tough. I held on to altIMA and VELvet for way too long, which ate up a ton of nanoseconds in the south. Not too bad if you ignore TRYNA (which also gummed up the south), mostly liked it.

jberg 11:23 AM  

Wow, this is weird. There were 42 comments before Sammy and Avery showed up to sub for Rex, but to see them you have to go to Rex's short note that he had no power (still hasn't, maybe?). There ought to be a way to get all the comments in the same place.

I don't really agree that a clock strikes midnight in the same way as lightning strikes a house, or inspiration strikes a solver. But the bowling strike, a noun seems out of place with all the verbs. This could be fixed by including another noun, e.g. 'bad thing for a batter.'

Thanks for subbing, Sammy and Avery!

Masked and Anonymous 11:24 AM  

I posted at the other one.
Just tryna let y'all know …

M&A

Wordler 11:27 AM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
egsforbreakfast 11:27 AM  

Nice debut write-up, Andy and Sammy. And with no warning! Very good.

So I’m, like, the constructor is OLMOS TRYNA CHUM up some SLANG, right?

According to the wik, the MIR AGE ended in 1996. And shouldn’t they spare us from thinking about those g.d. Rooskies anyway?

If you need to clue ETSY without referring to the seemingly money-grubbing purveyor of the artisanal, perhaps the clue could be: “And St. Denys for Parisian’s.” I’m leaning on another wik entry here: The name Sy is primarily a gender-neutral name of French origin that means Contraction Of St. Denys..

I’m also leaning toward ending my comment before I say anything lamer. I enjoyed the puzzle. Thank you, Olivia Mitra Framke.

Whatsername 11:29 AM  

Thanks Avery and Sammy for stepping up this morning. You did a great job and I loved the Mad Men clip. Hope you’ll join us again sometime but minus the snow/power outage. I see now that our previous comments weren’t lost, we just started a new blog.

@Mary Catherine, @pmdm, and @jberg: I responded to you on the other side.

ClaremontBob 11:41 AM  

The SE could have been saved by changing the clue to something along the lines of:
“Five random letters inferable from crosses.” Or “Tiger’s response when Kevin said,’No one can grab a golf ball before it hits the bottom of the cup.” I know that Rex hates golf clues, but he’s going to hate TRYNA more.

TJS 11:51 AM  

Nice job, boys.

EdFromHackensack 11:55 AM  

Had VELvet before VELOUR. other than that, no real resistance on a Monday-like puzzle. TRYNA - ugh.

puzzlehoarder 12:26 PM  

TRYNA? Just no. Further proof that early week puzzles are a waste of time no matter how short the solving time is. You put TRYNA in a puzzle you're just not TRYIN for CRYIN out loud.

td -0

Unknown 12:41 PM  

Thank you for the Ts&Ps with those of us dealing with snow lol!!! Excellent write up Avery and Sammy! Congratulations on graduating, good luck with your future plans, and thank you for bringing some much needed awareness to the tone-deafness submitted by the NYTXW folk.

Anonymous 1:00 PM  

a few years back, a decade or so, southern NE got an October blizzard. a foot or so of wet snow on fully leafed trees. a week or more without power. since it was an Autumn storm, cold temps followed. at least the New Yorkers got theirs now, so temps will be rising.

our local teevee weathercritters called this one a Nor'easter. baloney. Nor'easter paths southeast of Cape Cod. this was just a nasty low pressure system that snowed above about 1,500 feet. doesn't take much altitude.

A 1:22 PM  

Wanted to post here to say thanks to Avery and Sam for their excellent writeup, and congratulations on their graduation! I laughed at the comment about "why this word" because it was so Rexlike, and also appreciated the ETSY and labor union comments. Good job on short notice!

Most of my post from the "other side":
Hello all! I got busy for a bit and had to forgo my favorite blog, though I did read the comments some days. So happy I didn’t miss @CDilly’s NYTXW triumph story. Also enjoyed some good music links, like the Brubeck from @Joe Dipinto. I was also INSPIRed by the word SHEILA to go exploring and found a fun video to share: Sheilas, Badass Women of Australian History

Today’s offering started out easier than most Mondays but I had to turn on the brain in the lower half. Had to correct both VELvet and YEow to crack the SE. PLUS I learned two great words, EXPIATE and TRYNA. I can’t see TRYNA without laughing.

TRYNA decide if I want to do Phrazle again today - I TRried it yesterday and I find it more entertaining than wordle. Just conjuring up a starting phrase that fits and has a good variety of letters was challenging. Came up with a few pretty silly ones. Hope I don’t get hooked. Thanks a lot @bocamp and @Joe D!

Phrazle 15: 2/6
🟨🟪🟪🟩 ⬜🟪🟨 🟪🟪⬜🟩🟪🟪

🟩🟩🟩🟩 🟩🟩🟩 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

In other non xword related news, today is the birthday of yet another composer I hadn’t heard of, Georg Abraham Schneider, German horn player and composer, born in Darmstadt, Germany (1770-1839). Looks like his daughter may have married Schubert’s son. Anyway here is an INSPIRATIONal live performance of his Quartet for flute and strings.

INSPIRATION - "c. 1300, "immediate influence of God or a god," especially that under which the holy books were written, from Old French inspiracion "inhaling, breathing in; inspiration" (13c.), from Late Latin inspirationem (nominative inspiratio), noun of action from past-participle stem of Latin inspirare "blow into, breathe upon," figuratively "inspire, excite, inflame," from in- "in" (from PIE root *en "in") + spirare "to breathe" (see spirit (n.)). ,
And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. [Genesis ii.7]
The sense evolution seems to be from "breathe into" to "infuse animation or influence," thus "affect, rouse, guide or control," especially by divine influence. Inspire (v.) in Middle English also was used to mean "breath or put life or spirit into the human body; impart reason to a human soul." Literal sense "act of inhaling" attested in English from 1560s. Meaning "one who inspires others" is attested by 1867." -from etymonline.com

Teedmn 1:26 PM  

@Hartley's post had me speculating on just how many people were murmuring TRYNA at the same time I was. I tried it a couple of times, said uh uh. It makes me think about the phrase "I don't know" - I've often wondered how anyone learning English can be expected to interpret "ow no" (which is often how I say "I don't know, sometimes with a shrug.)

I had the same thought as @Wordler 11:27.

55A, VELvet or VELour, kealoa?

I see PLUS ONE used all the time - when did it first sneak into usage?

Olivia, I liked your theme. Pointing out the many uses of a word that I hadn't given much thought to is interesting to me (hi @Carola). Thanks!

Z 1:46 PM  

If a Union goes on strike than an individual employee also goes on strike. Responsio non est quaestio, tu errantes (don't blame me blame Google).

Are we really going to argue with the dictionary?

@Whatsername11:14 - Uh,... TMI.

The emergency bloggers captured my reaction to the puzzle perfectly with it was hard to feel any level of INSPIRATION. This is a perfectly adequate Tuesday puzzle.

@Cleaver yesterday - Low Wage ≠ Low Cost. It is just that the cost has been transferred either to the employees or the state. We see the same thing in the US where Wal-Mart transfers its costs to the taxpayer through low wages. Unless we raise the minimum wage our choice is to deny a basic human living standard to WalMart employees or subsidize billionaires.

okanaganer 2:49 PM  

54 down "Kick out" is an epic KeaLoa with the first letter in place: EXPEL, EXUDE, EVICT, EJECT, EGEST, and surely a bunch of others that I can't think of.

[Spelling Bee: yd 5 min to pg, then gave up at -1 after another 10 min, missed this. Did the xword and SB at 9pm after an exhausting day at the cabin and a 4 hour drive home, so not at my best.]

Unknown 3:00 PM  

Not only did the bloggers fill in on short notice, but they really captured rex's tone as well.

Felt like a Monday puzzle in terms of ease, but the fill was fine and the concept was striking.

Whatsername 3:58 PM  

@Zed (1:46) TRYST: a private romantic rendezvous. Rest assured I used that puzzle entry in the purest sense of the word. Perhaps in addition to “nothing secret about it,” I should’ve also said nothing romantic either.



Unknown 6:40 PM  

I liked your comments particularly about this being the Tigers year. I hope you’re tight. Go Tigers!

Anonymous 8:03 PM  

@OFL:
cudda ben worser

Halloween 2011:
"Some customers in Connecticut did not get power back until early November; many outages lasted 11 days."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Halloween_nor%27easter

BobL 8:17 PM  

Really really liked the writeup.

RooMonster 11:17 PM  

Holy cow! Figured I'd give Phrazle a try, got it in two! Amazing! Not phone/computer literate to put the results on here. But, two! YAY ME!

RooMonster Phrazzled Guy

crackblind 1:00 PM  

Nice writeup. Welcome aboard!

Surprised you are unfamiliar with Eddie Olmos. He really only played a cop in Miami Vice which doesn't surprise me that you haven't seen (yeah, he's a "detective" in the Blade Runner movies but I wouldn't exactly call that a "cop role). I would have guessed you'd have at least known him from Battlestar Galactica but I guess that was a niche enough Sci-Fi show for you guys not to have watched. If you ever get the chance to see it, he was in an excellent noir-ish film in the 90's called Caught that I can't recommend highly enough. It was directed by Robert Young, one of the grandaddies of independent cinema.

Also thanks for the reminder about Etsy. It's ridiculous how all these companies that are posting record profits keep increasing prices and fees and blaming it on inflation and other BS.

thomas 9:48 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
spacecraft 10:50 AM  

"One foot getttin' a shoe shine,
One foot over the county line:
TRYNA keep my customers satisfied...satisfied."

On that basis, I hereby let 51-down pass, desperate though it be. It's got Paul Simon immunity.

I could put other ANNEs into the last across clue to get a DOD, but I think it's time to honor the model on "Let's make ADEAL," Tiffany Coyne. (Constructors: let's see Ms. COYNE appear in an upcoming grid!)

While a fairly useful Tuesday offering, this one hardly rises to "INSPIRATION." In fact, I'm not sure the revealer makes much sense. But, it was passably clean and easy (A) enough to solve. My lone glitch was carelessly writing in ALTIMA for the Nissan model before checking crosses. Par.

I fared better in the other game:

GBBBB
GGBBB
GGGGG

A no-yellow birdie.

Burma Shave 11:35 AM  

EASY ONE

We AGREE, no NEWTAKE exists,
we're OBLIGED, SET for what EVER's next,
PLUS, instead of MINIGHT TRYSTS,
no INSPIRATION, just the old SAMESEX.

--- ANNE & ANDY DALI

rondo 1:21 PM  

I guess I'm OBLIGED to say this was a striking puzzle. Was going to rail on TRYNA, but agree with Paul Simon immunity. Only write-over was a YEow before a YELP.

An unlikely wordle birdie today (INSPIRATION from the xword?):
BGYBB
GGBBB
GGGGG
After a 64 on the first 18, now even after 2.

Diana, LIW 6:42 PM  

Where's the union when you need it? On the picket line? But not in this puzzle. A missed opportunity for the puzzle's EMPLOYEE.

Diana, Lady-in-Waiting for Crosswords

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP