Dance craze of the 2010s / MON 10-5-26 / Cheap hooch / Internet meme feline / One way to sit while meditating / Clickables at the top of a computer screen / Bygone electric Chevy / Follower of Jah, informally
Monday, October 5, 2026
Constructor: Chase Dittirch
Relative difficulty: Challenging (for *me*, solved Downs-only)
- MASSAGE TABLE (20A: Spot to work out knotted muscles)
- SPARE RIBS (35A: Memphis barbecue staple)
- MAGIC LAMP (40A: Key to Aladdin's success)
The Dougie (/ˈdʌɡi/ ⓘ DUG-ee) is a hip hop dance move generally performed by moving one's body from side to side and passing a hand through or near the hair on one's own head.
The dance move originated in Dallas, Texas, where it took its name from similar moves performed by 1980s rapper Doug E. Fresh. The Dougie gained notoriety through rapper Lil' Wil, whose song "My Dougie", released in late 2007, became a local hit. Then, a person called C-Smoove in Southern California taught the future members of Cali Swag District how to do the dance. Cali Swag District recorded the song "Teach Me How to Dougie" and filmed the music video in Inglewood, California during the summer of 2009. Subsequently, the video along with the dance became popular on YouTube. (wikipedia)
So the theme: I liked it! Surprised it hasn't been done. It's cute to link these disparate theme answers together this way, and I really enjoyed seeing the revealer come into view and realizing what the theme was going to be. The fill could've been a little stronger—a simple four-theme answer probably shouldn't be relying so heavily on ECRU ACTI SUPE (all in one tiny section!) and then EKES ERE SGT SAO CITI ATAD ATSEA ACH RAH IMO OTOE OHS AWS ESS ETS etc. But CROSS-LEGGED is great (3D: One way to sit while meditating) and PRISON BREAK is good and COWHAND and REPLETE aren't bad, and as I say, the theme seems very nice, simple and funny and elegant, very Monday-appropriate. So I come down solidly on the Plus side.
Bullets:
- 29A: Internet meme feline (LOLCAT) — I feel like we should retire this one. It's too ... Aughts, somehow. Just feels not relevant anymore. Bygone. Stale. A ghost reference. Cats are still big on the internet, but somehow LOLCAT sounds very dated to my ears.
![]() |
| [LOLCATs in a more serious, squirrel-patrol mood] |
- 5D: Cheap hooch (ROTGUT) — speaking of dated, everything about this one seems like it came out of Prohibition. ROTGUT sounds like 1920s slang, but it actually dates from 1632 (!). "Hooch" is a much more recent term, dating only from 1897. Did you know that "hooch" is "short for hoochinoo, a distilled liquor made by the Hoochinoo (Hutsnuwu) Indians, a Tlingit tribe" (merriam-webster.com)? Me neither!
- 36D: "___ Window" ("REAR") — the ESE of this puzzle had me so turned around that I actually started doubting My Favorite Movie. "R... ROAD WINDOW? ROSE WINDOW? ROY'S WINDOW? It's gotta be REAR!!" (true). [Note, I don't have a favorite movie, but I do have a Mount Rushmore of favorites, and REAR Window is on it—my cinema gateway drug, for sure]
- 56A: Singer Baker (ANITA) — Just as REAR Window is one of my favorite movies, ANITA Baker's Rapture is one of my favorite albums. Not what you'd expect a 16yo boy to be blaring from his '77 Toyota Sports Coupe in 1986, but that's what was happening, I promise you. I had no shame.
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
📘 My other blog 📘:
- Pop Sensation (vintage paperbacks)

















71 comments:
My five favorite original clues from last week
(in order of appearance):
1. It often features panels with speakers (6)
2. Highly controlling? (8)
3. Something you may be willing to hold? (6)(4)
4. Person who gets a lot of texts? (4)(6)
5. Reflective post (4)(6)
STEREO
PILOTING
ESTATE SALE
AVID READER
ROAD MARKER
My favorite encore clues from last week:
[Pictures] (6)
[Ticket selector] (5)
CINEMA
VOTER
Really enjoyed following Rex’s thoughts this morning. . And the puzzle too. Was surprised by the length of the list of staple crossword shorts compiled by Rex because it didn’t feel that way in doing the puzzle. Maybe because the longer answers and the theme were so well done.
A very nice puzzle solving experience nearly ruined by DIRNDL, crossed by DOUGIE. On a Monday?? WTF LOL
I think this is exactly right
Hamlet wordplay - it’s fine early week level fare. The themers all work and it’s well revealed.
ShinyRIBS
Overall fill held the interest. Liked REPLETE, the PRISON BREAK - DO TIME pair and COWHAND. Always fun seeing Pablo’s OTTER. Needed the crosses for STIEG.
Enjoyable Monday morning solve.
Sitting CROSS LEGGED on the floor
A top-notch Monday downs-mostly, with a banger post from Rex to match. Somehow I missed the DOUGIE in the 2010s but, thanks to Rex’s instructional video, can now add it to my repertoire of slick moves on the dance floor.
Speaking of slick moves, the stuntwoman with the Grace Kelly wig shows off her skill at the beginning of that clip from REAR Window, absolutely one of the all-time greats and for me also a gateway movie into an appreciation of cinematic art.
I'll never be a fan of SUPE, which sounds very unnatural to me. SUPEr is what we always said.
And every time LOLCAT appears it reminds me of my compelete bafflement that such a phenomenon exists.
I enjoyed the puzzle. Every puzzle has some word glue (SGT, ESS, NORI, OTOE etc.). The question is, does the rest of the puzzle make it worth it? Today, a solid 'yes'.
Agreed never heard of dougie ? Does it even still exist?? I just ran the alphabet and the letter had to be a “d” so dirndl
Hey All !
Where's the AH? As in, AH, THERESTHERUB. Works fine without it, but the AH adds more oomph. IMO.
Nice Theme, decent fill. Yes, some crosswordese, but that's in just about every puz.
Can think of a couple other things to rub, but this blog is PG rated! 😁
Hope y'all have a great Monday!
One F (The Midi was loaded with F's today)
RooMonster
DarrinV
@REX, I had the exact same experience as you.... except I certainly wasn't going to type in DIRNDL without seeing that clue. That was not a word I have seen before. So definitely had to "cheat" and look at those across clues to get it. Had LEAnTO up at the top of PRISONBREAK and so was looking for N words. Oh well--I think I can feel comfortable that DIRNDL is not typical Monday fare, right? Great puzzle, Chase! Thanks....
I, too, take issue with TABS. It rests on two assumptions: that I maximize my browser window (I don't), and that I don't use vertical tabs (I do). That is, my tabs are stacked on the left side of my browser's window.
I did enjoy the puzzle, though. For some reason I really enjoyed seeing REPLETE on a Monday. What a pleasant surprise. I just love the sound of that word for some reason. Much more than I do "deplete". Who knows why?
Chase had me at REPLETE, DIRNDL (a word hibernating in my brain for many years), and BLASÉ.
I’ve chronicled for ages how challenged I am at trying to guess the revealer from the theme answers, keeping it blank and not reading its clue. And, as usual, it’s been a long time since my last success, but that hasn’t stopped me from trying.
Well. Today, after many LABORS, with a flash, a mighty flash, I suddenly saw that the theme answers involved rubbing. Then came another flash – “Could it be?”, “Could it be … THERE’S THE RUB?”
Oh, this is going to be a very good day. Ain’t nothing going to dent it. Thank you, Chase!
@Lewis: I was hoping to see my favorite on your list: Other sock (MATE). But, true to its nature, it's missing.
Enjoyable Monday puzzle.🎈🎈🎊🎊
RM: If you will accept a friendly amendment, I would substitute an "ay" for your "ah." ("An ay for an ay" would be funnier, but what can you do?)
I'm drawing blanks on the usual nonsense today. Hope you have better luck, @egs. But here are two leftovers from yesterday:
The difference between regardless and irregardless: NOIR (Sorry if I used that before. Am suffering from CRS syndrome: can't remember sh*t.)
Impressive molasses: OOZE and aahs.
Fine Monday puzzle even though, unlike Rex, we did raise the Downs only white flag 🏳️.
Not enough letters to parse either LOLCAT or DIRNDL (coincidentally symmetrical in the puzzle) without reading their Across clues.
Got the theme, a necessity in Downs only mode, and it was very clever. The puzzle was pretty REPLETE with familiar, short fill, and we got KeyLoa-ed by A bit versus A TAD, which appeared in the section that included hard to see crosses EID, TUG and the aforementioned LOL CAT. Throw in CITI (card...ugh; why not CITI Field?; oh, because the Mets are...on hiatus) and we were sunk.
Lots more good than bad, so happy to be in agreement with Rex's rating.
And the clue starts with AH--so the answer needs either to include AY, or have the clue say [with Ay]. This was a very minor annoyance in an otherwise super theme.
I thought I was going to DNF on the dougie/dirndl cross. Finally saw it. On a monday, really?
We watched "Unabomber" last night (which I recommend), and got into a conversation about controlling fathers during which my wife reminisced about a college classmate whose Nazi scientist father had been brought to Ohio by our government for some scientific project. Anyway, he was very controlling and among other things insisted that his daughters and wife wear DIRNDLs. So I was primed for this puzzle! It was still very easy, if you were willing to read all the clues.
Agree with the two anons above. A bit tricky for a Monday. And DIRNDL crossing DOUGIE? Doesn't quite meet the definition of a Natick, but close.
It documents the gain in longevity that is statistically achieved by attending Catholic Church services: MASSAGETABLE
A high school equivalency diploma earned while meditating might be a CROSSLEGGED.
Adam's first reaction to God: "Hey, if I could SPARERIBS I'd open a BBQ joint."
DIRNDL/DOUGIE wrecked my D.O. solve, but this puzzle rubbed me the right way. Thanks, Chase Dittirch.
This really worked for me on a lot of levels. The revealer just happens to be phrase that I love and don't often have the chance to use. I'll try to make things tougher on myself, I guess... The theme is very, very cool and all the themers had some sparkle and pop.
Now I do not solve downs only and still almost had a DNF, that DIRNDL/DOUGIE crossing almost did me in. I had to run letters for those. Maybe my kids being in middle school *and* high school in the 2010s kept us too occupied to learn the DOUGIE, it's completely unknown to me. But the new knowledge is welcome for both these nuggets.
I very much liked all the fill that @Rex pointed out and the short stuff never bothers me, especially when the theme and the other fill is so much fun.
I like how WOMEN crosses NOW, like a tribute to the late, great Gloria Steinem. I'm also just starting to see things like NORI/iron, one more layer of cool solving experience that keeps me coming back for more!
Good stuff Chase! This was a winner!
And now Hugh's Monday Haiku:
My girl friend NOR I,
Danced the DOUGIE at our PROM
I still HARP on that
My daughter just returned from Munich where she rented a dirndl at a beer garden and joined the Oktoberfest celebration so I was amazed and delighted to see it in the puzzle today!
I liked this puzzle; it was a bit chewy for a Monday (even though I don't solve Downs-only), and it had a cute theme and some interesting fill, like REPLETE and DIRNDL. I didn't know LABORS or DOUGIE immediately but got them fairly from the crosses.
The one thing that gave me pause was BLURS. I'm not sure anyone has really ever used the plural noun form that way, as in, "I saw BLURS before my eyes." Nope, just don't think so. Still, this was a fun start to the week. Thanks, Chase Dittrich!
Had me at TOMATO and the fruit thing. Famous quote--:Yes, a TOMATO is a fruit, but try putting it in a fruit salad."
DIRNDL is a word I remember how to spell because it is unlike any other word I know how to spell. Interesting having LOLCAT over EID, both of which I know from crosswords. And the 2010's were so long ago that I have forgotten how often I used to do the DOUGIE. OK, never.
Another theme I didn't see coming. probably because unlike Connections, there were only three things to connect. Yeah, that's the ticket.
I liked your Monday very much CD. One more star from me for adding my Crossword Delight the OTTER, and thanks for all the fun.
Very much enjoyed the theme. I like the theme category of things you would not associate with each other, and a Shakespeare revealer is my love language. That said, some of the fill didn't seem Monday appropriate. I'm looking at you DIRNDL, especially crossing DOUGIE, and I'm pretty sure I've only ever seen STIEG Larsson in crosswords. And yeah, I've never heard of ROTGUT (or hooch), and Rex's description explains why. All fine, but if a new solver happened to pick today to start, it'd be a rough introduction. But the lovely theme makes me forgive the rough edges, even having both multiple OHS and multiple AWS.
Instead of downs only, I usually do Mondays in a chain: Can't look at a clue unless you got one letter in the answer already. It does require you to get 1 across or down first.
Hung up at Dougie and Dirndl
Cierra el pico.
Reports of my death, despite the welcome news and celebratory jubilation, have been slightly exaggerated. I've been busy eating SPARE RIBS while lying on a MASSAGE TABLE in a room lit with MAGIC LAMPS (which are just lamps if you don't go rubbing them like a weirdo and thereby disturb the genie who is by all reports rather annoying especially when you wish for more wishes).
I've been posting at the end of the day as I've ended up with a huge number of students in my after-work music program (yay) and it's getting in the way of my sitting around time. It's rather liberating knowing nobody will ever read what you write. I've been cussing a lot in my posts the last few weeks.
Very Monday-ish puzzle today. I liked it. There's an unnecessary amount of gunk and I didn't detect an inkling of effort went into trying to be amusing. I suppose new solvers don't understand comedy the same way old solvers don't appreciate comedy?
Black widows aren't "some" spiders. They're "the" spiders. You run across one in real life and your life passes instantly in front of you. Positively terrifying creatures and yet so beautiful. Kind of like wives. And by the way, nature is going crazy down here. This week a bear was at the back door to our next-door neighbor's house, a falcon sat in the tree in the backyard eating one of the many mice living near our bird feeders, and we have cockroaches, way too many gold finch babies, and an infestation of doves. Being zealously pro-PETA is coming back to haunt me.
I lived with a cat named ECRU once. I loved her so much.
Gunkometer--
People: 8
Places: 0
Products: 8
Partials: 8
Foreignisms: 3
--
Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 27 of 78 (36%)
Funny Factor: 0 😫
🔥 Ooh-la-la! 🔥 BOA.
Uniclues:
1 Alternative to being slightly rock and roll.
2 Zeitgeist of the county drunk tank.
3 Introverts in striped clothing deciding to stay in the ventilation ducts because that feels more like freedom than anywhere they've ever been.
1 A TAD COWHAND
2 ROT GUT BLASÉ
3 SHY PRISON BREAK
My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Headline for a negative review of same-sex drinking establishments without cover charges. NO FEE GAY BARS ICKY POO.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
German beer fan so had to be dirndl but could not reconcile with the equally sure of boogie
Took me a shockingly long time to figure out what THE REST HE RUB meant. My parsing of the revealer left much to be desired. 🤣
I do the puzzle on paper, Monday without ink, but dirndl/dougie had me grasping for a pen. Drat!!!
While I like PRISONBREAK as an answer, its clue, "Escape from jail" is not accurate. Jail and prison are two separate animals.
Oh yes, the lovely theme made me totally forget having multiple BLURS. I was angry that it was right.
LOLCATs are not dated. Maybe because I didn't indulge back in the day, but they crack me up. More LOLCATs!
David Kaczynski has strongly disputed the movie's depiction of their father in that film, and critics have pointed out that the filmmaker was trying to "humanize" Ted K by portraying fictional, tense family dynamics. Due to strict hospital protocols of the 1940s, Ted Kaczinski was restrained in a hospital bed and placed in infant isolation for weeks when he was 6-9 months old,, and this caused a drastic change in his personality, which his parents responded to with great love and care.But then he was subjected to the horrible, unethical Harvard psychological experiments as a young man, and all this lead to severe mental illness. The four-part docuseries "Unabomber - In His Own Words (2018) is evidently much more accurate.
I don't do downs only so this was very easy for me except for DIRNDL. Solved in under 10 minutes.
LOVED your pics of your kids, Rex. They must really love eachother ❤️❤️ :)
I needed to look at the clue on RSVP so I had already given up on my Downs-only solve, but DIRNDL x DOUGIE was insane.
confidently typed in 'stuffed' and roo was off to a good start...alas no. replete.
This was a delightful and easy Monday – UNLESS you’re trying to do a downs-only. In trying to keep solving time within norms, I failed to pause and consider alternative answer possibilities in several cases, to wit: I held onto Abit at 21D for far too long. For the start of 26D, I thought only of an ‘n’ or ‘d’ to complete 25A, never even thinking of a ‘P’, which would have made 26D obvious. Oh well, still a fun outing.
I agree with @Rex about ‘Rear Window’ – tops on my list of forever rewatchable movies, along with ‘Jaws’ and ‘Back to the Future’.
I finally got around to reading all of yesterday’s comments and @Gary, I want to enthusiastically second your recommendation of ‘Fisk’ – so consistently funny in an off-beat way, with characters you want to spend more time with.
I was trying to parse THE REST HERe B , having never heard of THE DOUGIE (or any of the artists associated with it.
Oh, for me REPLETEs are the honeypot ants. They look like underground grapes, they are worker ants with a distended abdomen full of honey which the other ants put in, and then eat in dry times. They're a delicacy in Africa and Australia, and a health food. Pretty creepy lifestyle, if you like to anthropomorphise.
Super easy today - my only write-over, quickly realized, was ole before RAH.
I love the theme answers and revealer, very clever. DIRNDL was a given since lederhosen didn't fit. My husband's hometown throws a festival every August that is very German-based. I saw more than one tee-shirt that looked like the wearer had on lederhosen on it. Where do they buy this stuff? (Amazon, probably?)
Chase Dittrich, thanks for the fun Monday puzzle!
Re: DIRNDL.
Wonderful word, so evocative, so concise, so unexpected in its spelling.
Got me to wondering where and when I first encountered it. Was it in some song? A cursory search didn't turn up anything i recognized. Oh well, I only know it was in the mist of my long-ago past. It's a word once met you don't easily forget.
Easy-medium. My only hiccup was that I too did not know DOUGIE or how to spell DIRNDL so that was a fingers crossed square.
Solid with a fun theme and no junk, liked it.
Croce Solvers - Croce’s Freestyle #1153 was tough for me. The NW was especially challenging because of several WOEs. Good luck!
I, too, threw in NAE NAE with downs only (spelling it “nay nay”), but since I didn’t see PRISON BREAK I gave up on DOs. I remember the green corduroy dirndl skirt as a girl. Enjoyed the puzzle overall.
Somehow, R
REAR Window comes way down on my list of Hitchcock favorites, but nice cluing in a great Monday puzzle, solved in near record time.
Downs-only DNF. Didn’t know DIRNDL. Wanted NAENAE for DOUGIE; had MENU and URLS for TABS and had LEAGUE for LEAPTO, which steered me to GO something instead of PRISONBREAK. NOT Monday level difficulty imo.
Long-time-reader, never-before-commenter. Knew dirndl (I read a lot) despite being a country music fan knew Dougie because of Blake Shelton video The Boys 'Round Here (https://youtu.be/JXAgv665J14?is=XlzLtaTD2sia-0CR). I shrug every time someone mentions a Natick. Probably because I was born in Framingham, grew up in Marlboro, and now live in Hudson. (Look it up if you care.) I start across which led me to jump to conclusions before I did leap, sabre before sword, and mores before ethic. Caught them all with the downs. The fun of crosswords. Oh, got rougit due to currently re-reading Bill Bryson's "Made in America". Have a wonderful Monday!
Dirndl was not a problem for me, as I am also aware of its cognate PRNDL. Rear Window is a great movie it would be on my movie Mt Rushmore as well, alongside North by Northwest
I thought it was a terrific Monday, with both Shakespeare and Sheherazade as part of the theme, and a lot of other answers that seemed more...I guess "interesting" than we see in many Monday puzzles: REPLETE, PRISON BREAK, COWHAND, DIRNDL (nice match with the lament "ACH!" for those not familiar with it).
What the wise men used to secure the gifts: MAGI CLAMP
Agree with @RP, the puztheme rubbed m&e the right way. Wife did, however, complain, cuz the FOOTRUB was not somehow included in the themer list [a RIBS rub was totally insufficient]..
staff weeject pick: EID. Better clue: {Conk out while put in reverse??}.
primo weeject stacks, NE & SW, btw.
fave moo-cow eazy-E MonPuz clue: {Kitten's call} = MEW. Part of the LOLCAT mini-theme. STIEG's clue was a close second, but weren't totally positive about how to spell STIEG.
notable boo-cow hard stuff, for a MonPuz: EID/CITI/LOLCAT. DIRNDL/DOUGIE.
some fave stuff: PRISONBREAK. COWHAND. ROTGUT. REPLETE. BLURS clue.
Thanx for the fun, Mr. Dittrich dude. M&A is now contemplatin his lamp-rub-resultin 3 wishes ... [well, only two -- after the near-obvi 86 47].
Masked & Anonymo4Us
p.s.
Runt puzzle:
**gruntz**
M&A
"Rear Window" one of my favorites also. Also from that era,"The Apartment", with Jack Lemmon and Shirley Maclaine
Good one!!!
@kitshef -- Brava!
Anonymous 10:26 am
To be fair, the puzzle wasn’t designed for downs only. Maybe younger people are less likely to know the word Dirndl . But the odds are you have seen one. It is the cliche outfit of comic sketches on SNF with Alpine girls. Also of children’s literature, Heidi.
Lederhosen are the male counterpart
@Gary J... nice to see you back in the daylight! I was wondering why you were commenting so late.
And re Black WIDOWS... they are common here in the dry valleys of British Columbia. As kids, we believed that if one touched you, you would die. But no one I know has ever been bitten by one! I did accidentally step on one with my bare foot once; I didn't notice until I saw its crushed body with the red hourglass.
Kitshef
SUPE
In NYC it is a thing apparently among the many who live in the high rises. Seems okay to me in a New York newspaper Also easy to get from supuh (NYC accent) to supe , which seems more natural to me.
Hey, some of us read the late posts, just to ensure that someone appreciated a reference to a cereal mascot's full name. I'll check in again when they get to a clue about Cornelius Rooster.
Contrary to that old joke, tomato actually works really well in fruit salad. Here's just one example:
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016885-tomato-fruit-salad
Tomato and watermelon with feta is good, too.
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014851-tomato-and-watermelon-salad
I agree that this was a very likable Monday puzzle. The week is off to a good start!
Once again I failed to solve down clues only. I guess I just don't have Rex's patience (or his skill and experience either!). Are they making these Mondays harder?
Yeah the clue for TABS was a bit off, though we could cut it some slack by admitting they are "usually near" the top of the screen.
And every time I see DIRNDL, it reminds me of the letters on the old automatic transmission shifters, at least the RNDL part.
Lair? I thought wolves were in dens? The wolf’s lair is a Hitler reference but not sure lair appropriate as a spot for a wolf pack.
I've been trying DO and never quite make it. Question: If looking at an Across clue is cheating, how about filling in an obvious Across answer without looking at the clue?
@jb129. I must object to your use of the word "kids" when referring to pets. I know it's a common thing, but I find it a bit weird. I hate it when I take Pablo to the vet clinic and they refer to me as his dad. I am not his father. Kind of impossible because I am human and he is a canine. Same with Rex and his cats.They are pets, they are companions, they are absolutely wonderful. They are not our offspring.
Have to agree, though, that the pic was great.
David Eisner
About TABS
“It rests on two assumptions “
But you are making the assumption that the answer must apply to all computer screens. This issue comes up a lot. The practice in crossword construction is that if the clue doesn’t say always, the answer doesn’t have to apply in all situations Since tabs can and often do appear at the top the answer is fine.
Hugh
I happened to get NORI from crosses and I thought of the Japanese word for a type of seaweed. Which I only know from crossword. In other words a dook!
I’m glad I didn’t rush to get to this puzzle today. DIRNDL, and it’s crossed with DOUGIE . They are not even real words - no way that I’m buying that DIRNDL is “common usage” per the NYT submission guidelines. Yuk.
I was in college in the (beginning) of the 2010s so I did indeed know what the Dougie is, but hadn't thought of it for many moons. I also answered Nae Nae initially given its prevalence in crosswords. Had no idea the dress was called a dirndl. This was a fun and also more challenging Monday for me, too.
No apologies needed for listening to Anita Baker! So much richness, character and personality in singers from that era!!! Was "I had no shame" a lyric reference?
Post a Comment