Shaders of gray? / SUN 9-27-26 / Sonic euphoria, colloquially / Disk-flipping strategy game / Greek PPP / Turned into an internet gag / German brewery since 1873 / Redheaded "Queen of Country" / DeVore who co-founded one of the first U.S. agencies for nonwhite models in 1946 / Portmanteau sandwich cookie with a layer of marshmallow / Cultural group of SW Britain / Buck enshrined in Cooperstown / Far from the target, in a guessing game
Sunday, September 27, 2026
Constructor: Adam Wagner
Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium
Theme answers:
- TRADE DISPUTE (19A: ... in global commerce)(Conflict ...)
- PORT-A-POTTIES (28A: ... outdoor festivals)(Bathrooms at ...)
- PERSONAL LIMO (66A: ... transport)(Bigwig's ...)
- ONE-CAR GARAGE (73A: ... park an auto)(Narrow space in which to ...)
- INTERPRETIVE (112A: ... clarify or explain)(Seeking to ...)
- IN RETROSPECT (124A: ... of hindsight)(With the benefit ...)
Ophelia DeVore (August 12, 1921 – February 28, 2014) was an American businesswoman, publisher, and model. She was the first model of African-American descent in the United States. In 1946, she helped establish the Grace Del Marco Agency, one of the first modeling agencies in America. [...] Ophelia DeVore began modeling at the age of 16. As a fair-skinned person of African-American descent, DeVore could "pass" for Norwegian and gain contracts throughout Europe. In 1946, determined to create a new market for non-White women in the U.S., DeVore established The Grace Del Marco Agency. // In the agency's early days, it was a stepping stone for countless household names; Diahann Carroll, Helen Williams, Richard Roundtree, Cicely Tyson and others. Racism was rampant in New York's fashion business and the Grace Del Marco Agency was one of the few places non-White models could gain work. (Wikipedia)
• • •
Beyond that, though, I didn't enjoy much about this puzzle. It's yet another puzzle where the theme is almost entirely architectural. Answers go round, answers go round, answers go round. What those answers are, who cares? Irrelevant. It's only the going round that matters. There's no great aha with any of them. All six themers are pretty pedestrian. I guess we're supposed to be impressed that the Across segments of theme answers that aren't parts of longer answers are themselves viable answers—TRADE DISPUTE, for instance, gives us TETRAD (a real word) over UPSIDE (a real word). I suppose this adds a level of difficulty to the construction, but it doesn't add anything to the solving pleasure. Am I really supposed to delight in stuff like E-SPORT and MOPERS and RAGE ON (whatever that is) and SORTER (?!). Mainly I found the themers a joyless chore; you hack through them with a lot of short crosses and there's your answer, ta da. Not that interesting.
And speaking of filling in short answers, wow did I have to do that a lot. A Lot. It's an astonishingly choppy grid, with nothing over eight letters outside the theme, and only two of those (SPLENDID, "ARE YOU IN?"). You've got banks of 7s in the NE and SW, but otherwise it's a sea of 3-4-5s. It got dreary after a while. And once again the fill was poor enough early on that I took a snapshot to document the moment it became alarming:
Bullets:
- 116A: Disk-flipping strategy game (REVERSI) — I know this only from crosswords. And I don't know it perfectly—the first thing I wrote in was REVERSO. Othello is the modern variation of this game.
- 123A: Many a John Williams composition (THEME) — nearly counted this as a Star Wars reference, since the most famous of said THEMEs is most certainly the Star Wars theme, but Williams has written many, many movie themes, so ... judges say ... not a Star Wars reference!
- 3D: Unhelpful way to respond to "Hello?" ("IT'S ME") — Weird. "IT'S ME" might be very helpful, if the person you're responding to knows your voice very well. I can absolutely imagine saying it if my wife was not expecting me home and said "Hello?" from, like, the kitchen or upstairs.
- 31D: Clothing brand named for perceived generational differences in the '60s (GAP) — I had no idea. I did know that (The) GAP was founded in 1969, because ... so was I.
- 50D: Greek PPP (RHOS) — yesterday we got [H H H] as a clue for ETAS. That one always confuses a few people. Today, with "Greek" in the clue, the fact that we're dealing with Greek letters is much clearer.
- 52D: Chef Nosrat who wrote the best seller "Salt Fat Acid Heat" (SAMIN) — I know her book, and the show based on the book, and I've seen her on TV in many different contexts, and I still forgot her dang name. Really happy I knew that final "S" in CORIOLIS ...
- 74D: Portmanteau sandwich cookie with a layer of marshmallow (S'MOREO) — oh come on. What the hell is this? It sounds hellish. Or at the very least, unnecessary. Just eat a s'more or an Oreo, for god's sake. Speaking of hellish: "Banana Pudding" Oreos. Oreo is currently testing three potential new flavors, and while "Deep Fried" and "Chicken & Waffles" were good and weird-but-acceptable, respectively, "Banana Pudding" needs to be sent back to the pit of hell whence it came. Toxic levels of artificial banana flavor. I thought maybe it was just me, but then Penelope took all three of the test flavors into her grad students, and they were unanimous in their dead-last ranking of "Banana Pudding."
[1. Deep Fried; 2. Chicken & Waffles; 3. (disqualified on account of disgustingness) Banana Pudding]
- 86D: Fish hawk (OSPREY) — they're migratory. I just learned this. "American and Canadian breeders winter in South America" (wikipedia). For two weeks in late August / early September, there was one that hung out on a tree high above the Chenango River, and I'd see it nearly every day on my walk. I even saw it hunt a couple times (water go smash! so cool). Then it wasn't there any more. Then I learned they're migratory, so I probably won't see little fish-hunting buddy again. It was fun while it lasted.
- 97D: Astronomically demoted, as per a 2006 Word of the Year (PLUTOED) — I think it just means "demoted" now. Yes: pluto (v.) "to demote or devalue something." I mean, how often are things "astronomically" demoted. You can't use your Word of the Year very much if you just limit it to astronomy.
- 92D: Shaders of gray? (AGEISTS) — woof, this clue. "Shaders"??? As in "those who throw shade"??? Describing ageism as mere shade (i.e. disparagement) ... pretty flippant way of describing systemic discrimination. Also, the pun here Tortured.
That's all for today. See you next time.
P.S. Happy anniversary, honey ❤️❤️❤️ What're we drinking? What goes with "23"?
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:
- Pop Sensation (vintage paperbacks)





















44 comments:
On the Easy side of Easy-Medium. Impressive construction feat, possibly AI-assisted?
* * * _ _
Overwrites:
My 2D conical accommodation was a TEepE before it was a TEEPE.
EARworM before -GASM for the sonic euphoria at 56D.
Misremembered the name of the 116A game as REVERSo instead of REVERSI.
Vhs as the DVD forerunner before VCR (118D).
WOEs:
Modeling agency head OPHELIA DeVore (21A).
I was only vaguely aware of actress SADIE Sink at 37A and needed most of the crosses.
Didn't remember artist Ai WEI WEI (24D), which led to misspelling CORIOLIS (49A), which prevented the initial happy music.
Chef SAMIN Nosrat at 53D.
Not familiar with the cookie portmanteau S'MOREO at 74D.
MERCS as clued at 108D.
Though I heartily agree with most of Rex's comments, I was awestruck by the construction necessary for this theme. Matching the rotational orientation of the answers with the the north-south location while also embedding them in actual words was, despite the choppy and pedestrian crosses, worthy of praise..
I was really thrown off by the (technically) correct but awkward GET/TAN — surely the more common phrasing would be GET A TAN?
Twenty years in and still getting to the heart of the matter - the big guy nails it - a puzzle built for the builder. The chops are clearly evident - but the solver gets six random independent theme strings in a Sunday sized grid - a slog to work through and a hearty “who cares” by the end of it.
MOSH PIT
Some decent fill here and there - MAD DASH, CORNISH, the great Twyla THARP. The theme restrictions cause a load of shorts and oddball gluey stuff - it doesn’t help the solve.
Scruffy the Cat
Good on the constructor for having the skills to craft this one but in the end - much like this brutal weather a dreary Sunday morning solve.
OPHELIA
IDEAL (102A) Another word that has lost its meaning through rampant misuse and abuse. The word IDEAL expresses the perfect and unattainable. "Best-Case" the is the closest one can get to the IDEAL without quite attaining it. The impossible vs the possible.
Now that we're told everything is possible, it seems this critical distinction has been relegated to the ash heap of the past and no longer pertains, to our great and delusional misfortune.
Just don’t enjoy tricky, gimmicky puzzles :-(
Not worth the effort.
Very nearly a DNF in the SE today. MERCS was the main villain, but also SORTER, JEDDA before JEttA, unsure on ONEaL or ONEIL, and I never figured out the theme properly. I got that words swirl around one way or the other, but did not have the patience to figure out which way or if there was a consistent starting point. It turns out that five of the six themers have a consistent starting point, at least within their hemispshere, but then INTERPRETIVE goes off script.
Hey All !
An interesting "twist" (har!) on a Theme. Did like that the parts of the Themers that weren't parts of the longer answer were actual things, not just non-words, like KEDRYO or somesuch. It's too bad they couldn't relate directly to the full looped answer, but that would've probably been impossible. I'm sure this Theme set was tough enough to find and fill with actual words.
Again, good fill, seeing as how Adam had to navigate around 12(!) looped Themers, with two Revealers thrown in for good measure. Not easy to fill with anything remotely resembling words. Bravo.
Liked the concept, execution was good, overall SPLENDID
Hope y'all have a great Sunday!
No F's - Continuing my RAGE ON excluding F's. And in a 21x21!!
RooMonster
DarrinV
Easy-medium. Largely agree with Rex. Lots of PPP (RHO RHO RHO!). Interestingly, of the themed answers, only some 6-letter rows are words (as pointed out: TETRAD, UPSIDE, ESPORT, etc.) but not all (ITTOPA? ILLANO? ITERPR?...), so this must've been an unintended effect.
I've never heard of SAL soda. I looked this up, and it still rings no bells.
Happy Anniversary to Rex and Mrs. Rex!
Here's an option for you: The 23 Skidoo Cocktail (https://www.cocktailbuilder.com/recipe/23-skiddoo)
Perhaps the most unpleasant solve ever. The wrap-around answers are awkward to fill in, and the shaded squares are difficult to see. Hated, hated, hated it.
Actually, SORTER was clued: “Certain factory machine.” Reasonably stimulating puzzle. No complaints.
Architectural achievement, magnificent. Solving experience, meh.
But OSPREYs are awesome!
'God, this looks awful.
As I've mentioned before, I come here first on Sundays (large grid) to see what I'm in for.
I was looking forward to an enjoyable puzzle being in the midst of a NorEaster in NYC. This doesn't look like it :(
Hey, c’mon, you gotta love PLUTOED! Well, OK, you don’t, but I did. Otherwise a great feat of construction but seemed overloaded with the trivia, starting with the cross of THARP and OPHELIA. I have to get out more!
This theme was previously done in better fashion on Jan 17 2016, one of my personal favorites. Surprised it didn't get mentioned, but hoping some see this and play it.
If you liked this, check out Jan 17th 2016
No natick complaint at the intersection of CORIOLIS and SAMIN? Otherwise constructively interesting but definitely very sloggy.
Too choppy for me. I get that it was necessary to accommodate the gimmick but then it was all about the gimmick. Salt in the wound was ESA in the very end. I liked OPHELIA and learned something today - always appreciate that. And now my pet peeve apologies to those who feel otherwise - to each their own. There is one and only one OREO. Every other ersatz version with different flavors, colors etc a Nabisco bad idea gone worse. The oreo imo is the most perfect packaged cookie ever bar none. Not judging anyone who enjoys the other versions - they just shouldn’t be called fill in the blanks oreos.
Naticked twice on one word, which was unfortunately the revealer: CORIOLIS
IT-could be A or O.
S-AMIN is to me a first-letter-fill-in-the-blanks-foreign-name with lots of possibilities (Like RP, knowing about the book and seeing an episode didn't help with the name...)
I think it's kind of fun to rotate the word in your head, and the rest was a quick race to the finish, so enjoyed it more than most.
DNF thanks to Natickesque CORIOLIS/SAMIN, both of which/whom I was unfamiliar with. Any cookbook clue which doesn’t include Julia Child leaves me at a loss.
I’m beginning to feel the same way. No 🎈for me.
BRAVO!!! You win! I quit early.
The directional arrows are essentially invisible in dark mode and thus are no help in making sense of this tedious solve..
Maybe not obscure enough to be a Natick but close. We need a word for “close to a Natick but not quite.” Dedham, maybe?
I have to say, if the fill is the “primary part of the solving experience” it’s not clear how OFL will enjoy any Sunday, except the themeless ones (which he ironically hates). I was confused by this statement.
Natick for me on Holi and moulin.
I liked the echos in the NW and SE. ITSME and ISITME.
Did not enjoy. That is all.
100% on this. Kept rotating through the O/A and the first letter in _AMIN. Frustrating.
Absolutely gobsmacked! Banana Pudding Oreos are nothing less than manna from heaven. I’ve dreamed of a banana Oreo for most of my 60+ years, and I’m so excited. I love that the banana flavor isn’t too cloying. Maybe Rex got a bad batch?
Can we make it a rule that when an answer is a Spanish word or suffix where only the terminal vowel changes (IT_, ES_, BUEN_, etc.), something in the clue needs to indicate the gender? It can be clever, it can be subtle, it can require you to know the gender of other Spanish words, but something. Especially when the terminal vowel crosses a less-familiar term (like C_RIOLIS).
Rex: I'm probably never going be an enjoyer of purely architectural themes.
Me: Feh! Yuck! Pooey! Me either. Hate ‘em!
In the print version at least, there's a dark vertical line indicating the starting point.And there are little arrows indicating direction.
Teacher: How does one abbreviate Maine?
Student: ISITME?
Teacher: Yes, ITSME.
(Kinda cool that these both appeared in today's puzzle)
[26A Emerge] Got ARISE out of me.
Usually, after I ANTE IDEAL
@Rex giving an "ugh" to Bill MAHER left me wondering whether he'd be a liberal ORATORY in England.
What did the baby owl yell as its mom picked it up with her beak? OWLET me go!
I'm always awed by a construction feat pulled off well, and this was one. Yes, it became a bit of a grind to solve, but that's not the end of the world (for that you have your choice of AI, climate change, nuclear war and all of the above). So thanks for the SPLENDID puzzle, Adam Wagner.
I didn't see the distinction at first, that some of the 6-letter rows are stand-alone words, and some are not because they are part of longer phrases. I wasn't sure at first that VEINTE (one of the stand-alones) was a real word, but then I thought, "Aha! Spanish for twenty," and it all made sense.
RP's note on the OSPREY wintering in South America reminded me of Bette Midler's description of the poor. She said the poor are those who "winter where they summer."
Twyla's would-be assassin: a THARP shooter.
I knit my brow upon noticing THREADS next to YARN.
Is a joke that's slightly less than corny CORNISH?
Denigrating David Ortiz for alleged steroid use is a Big PAPI smear.
Loved the puzzle. Brilliant wordplay.
ugh
I got some satisfaction from working this one out and especially appreciated the stand-alone words that emerged from within the themers. Crossword kismet indeed, as Adam said. I had LINGER before LIVE ON in the SW corner, and that held me up for a bit since I didn't know REVERSI. In the NE corner, I thought "Perhaps" was an interesting clue for SAY.
I would really like a count of all the Beatles references, Star Wars has nothing on that. Now there's a cultural divide.
On the topic of Oreo flavors, this bit is amazing
https://youtu.be/CMkYw4dp_NI?is=8vk9xmxVA_NTTiyo
Ugh. Too many names
Too many GIMMICKY puzzles!
Hated this one!
What I liked about this solve was how every section seemed to flirt with a possible dnf. I was lucky to recall CORIOLIS. However I wasn't sure if that last vowel was "I" or "U." but I was sure of WEIWEI. SAMIN is unfamiliar to me but I had no doubt on that first "I" in CORIOLIS
The suspense lasted until that SE corner where I was grateful for the familiarity of JETTA and BYRNE as well as the old standby SPA. Every section of this puzzle seemed to have at least one MERCS.
I had OTHELLO first, then REVERSO, and finally REVERSI.
Post a Comment