Clichéd dismissal of Arizona's summer climate/ MON 3-25-24 / Woven creation of the Ojibwe people / Emma Stone's co-star on Showtime's "The Curse" / 2, 4, 6, 8, how do these numbers relate?

Monday, March 25, 2024

Constructor: Shannon Rapp and Will Eisenberg

Relative difficulty: Easy (solved Downs-only)


THEME: Opening Day (which is actually Mar. 28, but ... close enough!) — baseball theme: second words of two-word phrases are all words for players on a baseball diamond:

Theme answers:
  • DREAM CATCHER (20A: Woven creation of the Ojibwe people)
  • PANCAKE BATTER (29A: Thick liquid poured on a hot griddle)
  • NATHAN FIELDER (47A: Emma Stone's co-star on Showtime's "The Curse")
  • WATER PITCHER (56A: Pour thing?) [this puzzle is oddly horny for Emma Stone ... and pouring]

Word of the Day: NATHAN FIELDER (47A) —

Nathan Joseph Fielder (born May 12, 1983) is a Canadian comedian, actor, writer, director, and producer. He is known for his awkward persona and involvement in works that blur reality and fiction. His accolades include an Independent Spirit Award and a WGA Award, as well as a nomination for the Primetime Emmy Award. In 2023, he was featured on Time's list of the 100 most influential people in the world.

Fielder was interested in comedy from a young age, and as a teenager was involved in his school's improv group, which also featured fellow comedian Seth Rogen. He majored in Business at the University of Victoria, which would later influence his work. After attending a comedy course at Humber College, Fielder started his career as a correspondent for CBC's This Hour Has 22 Minutes for the segment series Nathan on Your Side from 2008 to 2009. Fielder would later write and appear on the American sketch show Important Things with Demetri Martin (2011).

In 2013, he co-created and directed the Comedy Central parody reality show Nathan for You, in which Fielder stars as a slightly more awkward version of himself, who offers advice to struggling businesses. The show ended in 2017 and was followed by the HBO docu-comedy The Rehearsal (2022–present). Fielder also executive produced the HBO docu-series How To with John Wilson (2020–2023). In 2023, he and Benny Safdie created his first scripted show, Showtime's The Curse, in which he stars, alongside Safdie and Emma Stone. (wikipedia)

• • •

Among the easiest Downs-only solves I've ever done, although I will admit that I accidentally saw 1A: Rum-soaked cake (BABA) before I managed to toggle to Downs, so I probably got B AND B (ampersandwich!) faster than I would've otherwise. Still, I would've gotten BAKED POTATO even without that initial "B" from BABA, so I think it's safe to say that this will play on the easy side for Downs-only solvers. For regular solvers, I don't know. That NATHAN FIELDER cross would've stumped me. I had no idea he had a Showtime show with Emma Stone. I know him from The Rehearsal, which is ... I don't even know how to describe it. It seems like a documentary/reality series where he helps people prepare for some big event coming up in their lives, something they're worried about or dreading. That's the "rehearsal," and in those first couple episodes [actually, just the first episode!], the "rehearsal" is elaborate—building exact replicas of the locations where events are to take place and hiring actors to play patrons, that sort of thing. It's awkward and hilarious and surreal. But then the show takes a hard left turn when [starting in episode 2] Nathan himself gets pulled into one of the guest's stories [as the non-romantic partner of a woman ostensibly "rehearsing" to be a parent], and then the rest of the first-season episodes are all about that plotline. No new guests, just this bizarre trip into half-fake pseudo-reality TV land. I don't remember details well, but I remember my wife and I were constantly looking at each other like "What Is Happening?" Completely original and unpredictable in a way that TV almost never is. I guess I'll have to check out The Curse, but if it's conventional scripted fare, even good conventional scripted fare, I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed. The Rehearsal set the Weird Bar too high, and now that's all I want from him. Anyway, between that clue and the [Pour thing?] clue, I can see how actually having to deal with the Acrosses might've slowed you down. In the Downs, though—no resistance to be found at all.


The theme is very basic, of a type that would've been very at home in the 20th century, even the pre-Shortz era, but the actual theme answers themselves, and the overall cluing, felt reasonably fresh. "IT'S A DRY HEAT" really gives you something extra to admire today (26D: Clichéd dismissal of Arizona's summer climate). That's one of the few Downs I wrestled with for more than a second or two, mainly because the "cliché" I was thinking of was "IT'S NOT THE HEAT / IT'S THE HUMIDITY," and I kept trying to make either half of that expression work. Ah well. "IT'S A DRY HEAT" works too, and it actually fits the clue (fancy that) (26D: Clichéd dismissal of Arizona's summer climate). The hardest answer for me to get was the last one: PROXY (55D: Designated representative). I had the "R" but the other letters were all bland and not easily inferrable. YA- could've been YAP YAK YAM etc. DUET- looked like it could only be DUETS. SPAN- looked like SPANS, or maybe SPANO (there's an actor Vincent SPANO, isn't there?) (A: Yes). And STA- could've been many other things besides STAY. So I had to push letters around and think on it, but I got there eventually. Even with that late struggle, this played very easy.


The only part that made me go "boo!" ("boo! this is bad!" as opposed to "boo! scared ya!") was the clue on EVENS (34D: 2, 4, 6, 8, how do these numbers relate?). The "how" is what is bad. Clues are supposed to agree with answers grammatically, and EVENS is not a "how." I was looking for an adverbial phrase, maybe a prepositional phrase (How? Uh ... BY TWO?), but no, instead we get a mere synonym for 2, 4, 6, and 8: EVENS, i.e. even numbers. Sucks when the puzzle sacrifices clarity for cuteness. I love the idea (make it sound like a cheer!), but it doesn't work on the most basic wording level, so it doesn't work.


Looking forward to actual Opening Day (Thursday!). Baseball is currently mired in a massive betting scandal involving its reigning AL MVP and highest-paid player, Shohei Ohtani, but ... as with most of the unpalatable aspects of pro sports that I enjoy, I'm just gonna pretend none of it matters. Play ball! And, as always, Go Tigers!


Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld 

P.S. surprised that this is (apparently) Will Eisenberg's NYTXW debut. He's been constructing for what seems like years, but apparently only for other outlets (AVCX, New Yorker, etc.). Until now.

P.P.S. today's constructors (frequent collaborators) also co-constructed a fun puzzle in These Puzzles Fund Abortion 4. Am I still plugging that collection? Apparently I am. It just crossed the $40K mark! Go get the puzzles for yourself if you haven't already.
 
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]

47 comments:

jae 12:12 AM  

Easy-medium. Smooth grid, interesting theme answers, a couple of nice long downs, and baseball…liked it.

I’ve never heard of NATHAN FIELDER, but then I’ve never heard of “The Curse.”

Update: I just read @Rex’s WOTD and I still have no idea who he is.


Croce Solvers - Croce’s Freestyle #896 was pretty easy for a Croce. My biggest problem was making sense of 41a. Good luck!

egsforbreakfast 12:52 AM  

Couldn't help but notice that POPEYE was bisected in the NE corner. Must have been the handiwork of that nasty Brutus.

I believe that the unabridged take on Arizona's summer weather is ITSADRYHEAT so you won't get CARROT.

Cher: Hey Sonny, come join me in the water pit!
Sonny: I got you, Babe. But it's not a WATERPITCHER, it's a hot tub.

You might start a tennis point with a SERVE, but that pales in comparison to the joy of SETS. Right, @Nancy?

I agree with @Rexthat it was a very easy DOS (Downs Only Solve). Strange, though, that he thinks it may play easier that way than for regular solvers. Huh? Anyway, thanks for an early opening day, Shannon Rapp and Will Eisenberg.

GILL I. 1:01 AM  

POP was my BABA. He came from ASIA and his DREAM was to live on the CAPE of HAWAII with his AMORE, NOKIA. NOKIA was a NIRVANA DIARIST that some (AHEM) said was a HOT POTATO. She was ON LEAVE from the DRY BAKED HEAT of ESAI and wanted to head for MOIST HAWAII to meet up with BABA.


When NOKIA said AHOY in HAWAII, the CDC took her DNA and said that DUE TO her SPANX, she could only STAY with sone EXPATS from ARIA. They all had ITIS ECOLI and so their ID was VOID. BABA and NOKIA's DREAM almost ENDED.

I came to the rescue. YETI needed a PROXY from some FIELDER who could BATTER my CAKE with a few CUPS of RIPE YAP. NATHAN, the AXE CATCHER, ENDED up helping. He TRIED dangling a CARROT in front of the CDC. He offered them SAM ALE...he even BAKED them a POTATO CAKE that had HOT BATTER that was MOIST with RIPE YAP. "I HOPI didn't give them ITIS ECOLI" he EMAILED me..."I TRIED to SERVE up some EPIC HOT BAKED MOIST POTATO CAKE so that BABA and NOKIA could STAY on the CAPE of HAWAII!!!!"

I guess it worked. The CDC Took a VOTER. No ITIS ECOLI was found in the WATER nor in the ALE nor in any POTATO CAKE. My POP and his AMORE, NOKIA, would (AHEM) LEI in BED under a MESH SPANX. They listened to an ERIE NIRVANA ARIA by ION DIF. It was RIPE for AMORE.

I no longer had to keep an EYE on them...and that's the truth!





pm 1:50 AM  

The Curse is one of the most fresh, bizarre, and spectacularly unique shows I’ve ever seen. Highly recommend checking it out!!

Bob Mills 6:08 AM  

I finished it in good shape, even though I didn't understand BANDB until reading Rex Parker's comments. I thought it was the beginning of "bandbox," but couldn't find the "ox."

Nice puzzle, not as easy as most Mondays. ITSADRYHEAT brought a smile, even though I never lived in Arizona. I do remember the rationalization for the summer weather there, even if it's 110 degrees in the shade.

SouthsideJohnny 6:34 AM  

Unusual to have to trust the crosses for two theme entries on a Monday, but that was the case today as I never heard of a DREAM CATCHER either in addition to the aforementioned NATHAN FIELDER.

I had the same wincing sensation as Rex to the clue for EVENS - you would think the editor would yank the stuff that tries too hard to be cute (or doesn’t work grammatically) but for some reason unknown to me (and apparently to OFL as well), the NYT seems to embrace the sloppiness on a daily basis. Hoping/wishing for better hasn’t worked - so, as they say, IT IS what IT IS.

Dale Gribble 7:03 AM  

Pretty easy solve, but I loved all the cluing. Very colorful and fun for the most part.

Anonymous 7:19 AM  

As someone who grew up in Arizona, I can confirm that "IT'S A DRY HEAT" is 100% the correct expression. No hesitation there.

Lewis 7:39 AM  

Ah, baseball, how I was a rabid enthusiast in my youth. I remember how in junior high classes I’d covertly listen to World Series games on my transistor radio tucked in my desk on low volume, as I rested my head sideways on the desk to hear it.

Give me a puzzle that triggers meaningful memories, and I’m immediately grateful. Build on that with lovely long verticals (IT’S A DRY HEAT, BAKED POTATO), palindromes (EYE, POP, ENE), ingestibles (BABA, PANCAKE, WATER, CARROT, AHI, POP, BAKED POTATO), symmetrical answers that sound like letters (EYE and WHY), and a serendipity like VOterID abutting VOID – and I’m a fan.

Is today’s puzzle a lovely little box of joy for me? IT IS. Thank you for this sprightly offering, Shannon and Will, and congratulations, Will, on your NYT debut!

PH 7:47 AM  

After seeing NENE so many times in crosswords, humuhumunukunukuapua'a (21!) was amusing. Turns out it translates to "triggerfish + snout like pig". Cool-looking fish, looks like it's wearing a blindfold.

Anyway, NICE puzzle -- well done, Norah (Shannon) & Will!

pabloinnh 8:10 AM  

Nice writeup on NATHANFIELDER, who sounds like an interesting fellow, but this is the first time I've heard of him. My subscription to Time lapsed many years ago and I bet I don't know half of their "most influential people" any more.

Hello to you too, ESAI. Friend of Mr. FIELDER's?

I know that ITSADRYHEAT, but it can still turn you into a BAKEDPOTATO.

Caught on after CATCHER and BATTER and liked the way they completed the baseball theme. It's always been my favorite sport but I have to say that the doomsayers are out in force with predictions for my Red Sox. They have a few young players that I will follow with interest, and hey, it's baseball.

Nicely themed Mondecito, SR and WE. Some Really nice long answers and a Well Executed theme. Thanks for all the fun.

Dr.A 8:15 AM  

Is Will Shortz on Vacay? I keep seeing other editors. Did he retire? What’s happening?

Peter P 8:16 AM  

Easy-medium for me. Off the bat, I struck out on the first three clues. (I generally give myself one second before moving on to the next clue on a Monday.) I couldn't come up with BABA only "babka." I'm not entirely sure I've ever had or seen a BABA before, though I vaguely remember it being a thing. Then my first fill "hoArd" for "stockpile" was a do-over with AMASS. Luckily, things got a bit better for there, though I had to rewrite "saw," "awl" (what was I thinking there?!?!) for AXE. My brain also scanned right over "horses" in "hold up, horses," so I had "Wait" for WHOA. Finished a little bit under average, despite all the errors.

Anyway, every year for the last fifteen years, I've been visiting my inlaws in Phoenix. Typically, our trips are during meteorologically sane times of the year, like Thanksgiving or Christmas. Temps then generally range from 45F - 75F. However, twice I've been there during the summer heat, once when the temps reached as high as 117 and stayed in the hundred teens all week. And people have told me over and over, "it's hot, but it's a dry heat." And I'd response, yeah, "but it's still *bleep* one hundred seventeen degrees!"

After experiencing it, I must say, those people were right. One hundred seventeen and no humidity feels more comfortable to me than upper-90s and humid like we get here in Chicago sometimes. The asphalt gets unbearably hot (and that's where I noticed it the most) and you had better park that car in shade! But at least I wasn't dripping sweat from just standing outside. Still, weather-wise, not my style.



Anonymous 8:57 AM  

Can reassure RP that this was a very easy regular solve , as well as for the DOS group. Toyed with the 3 minute mark for first time in a long time.

Nice theme, made FIELDER easier, although I never heard of him - appreciate the writeup

Loved the theme and the memories it brings. Us Boomers can remember when baseball was the true national pastime. I'm talking back before cable TV, when most baseball players had to get an off-season job to make ends meet !

Nice start to the week. Keep it up NYT!

RooMonster 9:00 AM  

Hey All !
At least WHOA was spelled correctly!

Nice little MonPuz. Baseball things. I don't watch Baseball. Shocking, I know. Grew up in PA, was a Phillies fan growing up, but now the fandom has wanted.

The Long Downs were nice.

Of course I knew the HAWAII state fish. Even knew how to spell it. 😁 Har.

Great little MonPuz. Should be fun for first timers. They get to see a Theme without needing a Revealer. Plus, ITIS easy. YAP.

Weekend has ENDED. Ugh.

One F
RooMonster
DarrinV



Norah aka Shannon 9:07 AM  

Thanks Rex and commenters! Glad you enjoyed this one - and glad that your only nit was an editorial change.

Happy opening week to all!!!

Nancy 9:13 AM  

A variety of theme-type that always makes me yawn -- and I found this one even less interesting than most. But what I do like is the smooth grid -- free of names (other than the FIELDER guy) and pleasantly free of crosswordese. A serviceable, unobjectionable Monday that leaves me eager to exercise my little gray cells in some other endeavor.

Maureen 9:14 AM  

I almost hoped it was Nathan Fillion.

Joe D 9:23 AM  

As a Tigers fan myself, Go Tigers indeed!

Anonymous 9:48 AM  

Puzzle was worth it for Nathan Fielder and humuhumunukunukuapua

B4L

mmorgan 9:52 AM  

Downs only, I also saw BABA at 1A by mistake, but this was the easiest/most successful downs only I’ve ever done, yay! Got everything except 55D, because the acrosses there were too ambiguous and I lost patience. But yay! The Curse is the only thing I’ve seen Nathan Fielder in, but now I want to see The Rehearsal. The Curse was very interesting but seemed a bit uneven to me across all the episodes. But I’m celebrating my (near) downs only success!

Gary Jugert 9:53 AM  

I spent my youth poorly trying to be a SECOND BASER. Most of my romantic quests were with SHORT STOPPERS.

Tee-Hee: Of 50 puzzles received on the day this one arrived, our 5th-grader-in-slush saw BED DNA MOIST and thought of xi's long-suffering unicluist companion out in the wild (me) and sent up another T'SUP from NYC. Love ya right back my friend.

Uniclues:

1 When you have a Finnish phone and the new iPhone hits the market.
2 Why Republicans think their candidate lost.
3 Latest native fashion style keeps the southwest tight.
4 Hollywood director's command knowing the Abominable Snowman redux is on tap.
5 The Shire.
6 One unafraid to list their enemies of the day behind a tiny metal clasp.
7 Orb asks fellow orb to squint and stare while bemoaning 9 point type.

1 NOKIA-ITIS RIPE
2 VOTER ID ON LEAVE
3 HOPI SPANX GIST
4 YETI SETS STAY
5 SAM NIRVANA
6 HOT TAKE DIARIST
7 EYE TRIED PROXY

My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Best bark. IDEAL YAP UNIT.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nancy 10:02 AM  

Forgot to mention that there were two kealoas in the puzzle: BAN/BAR and YAP/YAK. I did my usual of writing in BA- and YA- and waiting. Of course on a Monday, you won't have to wait too long and I didn't -- the crosses were easy. Still, the noble kealoa -- finally getting its due after all these years -- always makes a solve more interesting.

jberg 10:03 AM  

For some reason I am always slow to think about the last words of theme answers, so I had them all filled in before I noticed what the theme was--I was trying to figure out what pancakes had to do with that actor. Once I did see it, fun ensued. I never heard of the actor either, but once I had FIEL it couldn't be much else.

The hardest prt was EXileS before EXPATS.

Beth C 10:09 AM  

What is HOMES?

Linda R 10:39 AM  

@Beth C: HOMES is the mnemonic for remembering the Great Lakes: Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, Superior.

jb129 10:59 AM  

This was a typical, easy, fun solve. Thanks to you both & thank you Shannon for stopping by. Looking forward to more :)

Anonymous 11:21 AM  

I cannot second this enough. If you found The Rehearsal delightfully bizarre, you will not be disappointed by The Curse.

Anonymous 11:41 AM  

Hello from Detroit! Didn't know Rex was a Tigers fan.

Anoa Bob 11:59 AM  

I thought the first themer, DREAM CATCHER, was primo. They kind of went downhill after that. Hard to get excited about PANCAKE BATTER. Never heard of the FIELDER dude. And I wondered if the WATER PITCHER was covered in GREEN PAINT.

It may be cliché but it's definitely true. There's a negative correlation between humidity level and the ability of perspiration evaporation to cool the body. The higher the humidity level the slower perspiration evaporates and this lowers its cooling effect on body temperatures.

Ah, Opening Day. Baseball was my favorite sport to play and I love going to a stadium to watch a game no matter at what level. But I detest watching it on T.V. Unlike being at a game, watching it on T,V. is mind numbingly boring. The same outfield camera view on every single pitch with the framing often chosen to best display the advertisements rather than the pitch. And then the endless super closeups of the pitcher, then the BATTER, then the manager (will he spit?), then the pitch. Repeat ad nauseam.

Okay, WHOA Anoa, that's enough. I do feel better though.

Masked and Anonymous 12:01 PM  

@RP: Good luck to yer Tigers … and Best of luck to my Twins!

Humu Humu! Cool MonPuz clues, here and there.

DREAMCATCHER! Primo schlock flick, of 2003 vintage.

staff weeject picks: POP next to EYE. It am what it am. And with a nearby CARROT cartoon clue, too boot.
Nice weeject stacks, NE & SW, btw.

@RP again: How'bout {2, 4, 6, 8, what hunk of numbers can relate?} = EVENS?

fave moo-cow eazy-E MonPuz clue: the humu-humu HAWAII state fish one. No contest. Got it offa nuthin.
other fave stuff: ITSADRYHEAT. VOTERID. HOTTAKE. NIRVANA. SPANX. HAWAII. And the EVENS clue's heart was at least in the right wonky place.

Thanx for gangin up on us, Ms. Rapp darlin & Mr. Eisenberg dude. And congratz to Eisenberg on his half-debut.

Masked & Anonymo1U
...s

p.s. Nuku Nuku!

p.p.s.s. And Play Ball!

**gruntz**

amyyanni 12:07 PM  

Lol, my runner friend in Alaska does long runs all year long, meaning she ends up with icicles on her eyelashes, etc. When we express amazement and awe, she humbly responds: “yeah, but it’s a dry cold.”
Being a big baseball fan, liked this one.

Jono 12:10 PM  

You're right, solving downs-only today I was 8 seconds off my all-time record for Mondays, which I set when solving normally. Still a fun puzzle though!

johnk 12:17 PM  

The theme covered all the bases.
But EVENS! WHY, when so many appropriate clues are available? "____ the playing field" would have been a great theme fit.

Teedmn 1:07 PM  

@Gill I, nice one. ERIE NIRVANA ARIA, har!

okanaganer 2:13 PM  

I immediately put in ITS A DRY HEAT from the clue; I heard that phrase a lot where I grew up in the Palm Springs of Canada (Kamloops), where the summers are hot (by Canadian standards) but dry. Before we switched to Celsius, the first day above 100 F was a milestone, usually in late June or early July. One year it got to 105, and as a weather nut it was a red letter day for me. The all time record was 107, set way back in the 1930s. Then in June 2021 it got to 47 Celsius... that's 117 Fahrenheit. Yikes!

burtonkd 2:25 PM  

If you don't know Nathan Fielder, I'd say start with Nathan For You. More accessible and played more for comedy than the later shows, which get way more Meta and cerebral. His producer credit, How To With John Wilson is also ingenious.

Will Eisenberg 3:45 PM  

Thanks Rex, and commentariat, for the kind words!

I have indeed been constructing for years (first published puzzle was in 2019), but I haven't prioritized submitting to the Times (and they haven't prioritized accepting my submissions).

The clue on EVENS was from the editors, but I must admit I think it's very cute, and is worth not overthinking.

Gary Jugert 4:14 PM  

@Will Eisenberg 3:45 PM
🤣 "...worth not overthinking." 🤣
The entire purpose of this community is over thinking. Thanks for a fun puzzle.

ColleenAK 4:30 PM  

Thanks, Shannon & Will for joining the convo! Enjoyed your Monday puzzle 😊 I'm not a team sports fan, but I grew up near Cleveland so you know who we rooted for - go, Guardians! Attended my first game in 5th grade when my school bussed the crosswalk guards to the stadium as a treat. Yep, the 5th and 6th graders were the crosswalk guards - it was a quiet residential neighborhood. And we all walked to school!

Anonymous 8:39 PM  

The Popeye character was Bluto not Brutus

Anonymous 8:43 PM  

Go Angel Ogans

Anonymous 8:54 PM  

Cute puzzle. Delighted as well that MLB season is starting. Despite being in arguably the weakest division in baseball, the Tigers will again be disappointing and the new more balanced schedule will not work to their advantage. I hope I am wrong.

okanaganer 10:45 PM  

Link to article: Ninety Years of Bluto – or is it Brutus?. Answer: both!

Anonymous 10:38 PM  

Thanks!

kitshef 1:55 PM  

I'm a firm believer that Monday themers need to be familiar to all, and NATHAN FIELDER fails on that front. Even knowing it was going to be FIELDER from the theme, no idea what the first name would be. Now, if you had gone with Molly PITCHER for the last themer, that I'd have been OK with.

Terrible clue for evens.

Anonymous 5:40 PM  

No idea what Molly Pitcher is. Nathan Fielder is famous now

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP