Smelting residue / MON 7-6-15 / Nairobi resident / Drawings that deceive / Human/ape "missing link" found in Indonesia in 1891
Monday, July 6, 2015
MOVE ASIDE, Rex Parker! There's a new crossword solver in town...nah, it's just an Annabel Monday again.
Constructor: Lynn Lempel
Relative Difficulty: Easy
THEME: Bric A Brac— Theme answers are either a three-word phrase containing the word "A" or a common two-word phrase where the second word starts with "A," depending on how you look at 'em.
- WALKAROUND (17A: Decline to use the golf cart?)
- PLANAHEAD (25A: Design the lav?)
- TAKEAPART (36A: Accept one of the acting roles?)
- MOVEASIDE (51A: Pass the coleslaw or potato salad?)
- KNOCKABOUT (60A: Pan the boxing match?)
Word of the Day: JAVA MAN (41D: Human/ape "missing link" found in Indonesia in 1891) —
If it's information you seek, come and see me.
If it's pairs of letters you need, I have consecutively three.
Who am I?
- YAP (21A: Sound from a pound) — So we babysat a dog last week. His name is Zuko and he's about the size of a loaf of bread. Now I know teeny dogs are supposed to YAP all the time, but the only time Zuko would ever, ever bark was when he watched an animal video. Specifically an animal video...he didn't care if there were humans on the TV, but when there were kitty or puppy antics onscreen, he'd wag his tail and jump up and down and yap at them like they could play with him.
- ONION (29A: Pungent bulb) —
- TOAST (24A: "Here's to the happy couple!", e.g.) — Toast also means super tired, exhausted, whatever. It's 11:30 p.m. and I'm on a train back from New York City where Rex's BFF and I saw Fun Home (it was amazing and made me cry even harder than Les Mis and Rent). This train is making me veeeeery sleepy. I'm toast. Bye guys!