"Santa Claus in Camp" artist, 1863 / SAT 7-25-26 / One of a nursery rhyme quintet / Unprofessional letters? / 1980s Chrysler innovation / The so-called "hurricane bird" / Second person seen in "Hamlet" / Ambient sound said to be more soothing than its "white" counterpart / Emmy winner Ann of "The Handmaid's Tale" / Waft fragrant smoke around / Co-founder of the A.C.L.U.'s Women's Rights Project, familiarly / Actor/playwright Davis who wrote "Purlie Victorious"

Saturday, July 25, 2026

Constructor: Katie Hoody

Relative difficulty: Easy-Medium

THEME: none 

Word of the Day: PINK NOISE (33D: Ambient sound said to be more soothing than its "white" counterpart) —

[sleepfoundation.org] 

Pink noise, 1/f noise, fractional noise or fractal noise is a signal or process with a frequency spectrum such that the power spectral density (power per frequency interval) is inversely proportional to the frequency of the signal. In pink noise, each octave interval (halving or doubling in frequency) carries an equal amount of noise energy.

Pink noise sounds like a waterfall. It is often used to tune loudspeaker systems in professional audio. Pink noise is one of the most commonly observed signals in biological systems.

The name arises from the pink appearance of visible light with this power spectrum. This is in contrast with white noise that has equal intensity per frequency interval. [...]

• • •

[1A: Fashionable spots?]
The themelesses were good again this week. Very good. One of the best late-week 1-2 punches I've seen recently. What I loved about this one was that it felt like a Friday—wide-open grid, lots of flow, marquee answers slashing this way and that—but with the cluing clearly tightened up a notch or two. Every single clue seemed to be trying to mislead me at least slightly. Well, not most of the proper nouns—they seemed to be there to give me mild traction. But the ordinary words and phrases hardly ever seemed to have a straightforward clue. This is my ideal Saturday, actually. It's a Friday+. A simple difficulty augmentation, that's all I want. All the other fun stuff that a good Friday offers should stay the same. Could this puzzle have been harder? Yes. Should it have been? Maybe, but as with yesterday, I thought the puzzle at least cleared the minimal difficulty standards for its day of the week. The only things I outright didn't know were PINK NOISE (33D: Ambient sound said to be more soothing than its "white counterpart") and DOWD (21A: Emmy winner Ann of "The Handmaid's Tale"); the clue helped me infer the former while the crosses took care of the latter. So the difficulty today came entirely from cluing—which is, generally, as it should be. Today, we get two big bursts of colloquial goodness, right across the middle. The first one sent me shooting out of the NW corner and clear across the grid:


The second ("I'M IN THE SAME BOAT") was slower to arrive, but only because I actually didn't look at the clue until I had most of the crosses locked into place. The answer was no less delightful for coming into view more slowly. The rest of the longer fill was strong, or at least solid, but the real joy today came from hacking my way through all the slightly tricky clues. The ones on POLKA DOTS (1A: Fashionable spots?) and GARAGE SALE (17A: What might provide you an opportunity to walk in someone else's shoes?) are obviously trying to mislead you (that's what the "?" on the end of the clues is trying to tell you), but it was the ambiguously-worded clues that were really fun today. [Coach's lack, often] ends up having nothing to do with a coach (human) but instead refers to passenger status on an airplane. The [Second person seen in "Hamlet"] is not a character but pronoun category (THOU). You don't "check a box" by putting a check in a box (as on a survey) but by literally checking (with your eyes) the mailbox (40D: One might check a box for it = MAIL). Etc. Etc. Sometimes I was braced for trickiness that never came, which is another way that a Saturday puzzle can push me off-balance. Like, I thought the "sisters" in 52D: What some sisters become were nuns, but they were just ... sisters (AUNTS). And [Predigital recording devices] had me first thinking of fingers and toes (that kind of "digital"), and then had me wondering what meaning of "recording" I wasn't considering. But no, you record (or "write things down") with PENS, a technology that precedes modern digital (electronic) recording of any kind. Sometimes I saw right through this trickery (the other meaning of "shingles" (and "nails") in the ITCH clue, the other meaning of "lab" in the PET clue). But whether the misdirects were hard or easy, they were entertaining. The puzzle seemed to be trying to give me a good time, and I appreciated it.


I often feel guilty when some obvious bit of crosswordese or other sort of short gimme is the first thing I'm able to get. Like, the NW was crushing me and would've kept crushing me had the combined forces of LEROY, KCAR, OSSIE, and SELA not eventually, finally, given me enough assistance to get over the hump. I was coming up blank on everything else up there, esp. the long stuff. So the crosswordy names were conspicuous up front because I desperately needed them, but after that, I was able to ride the momentum of "THAT DOESN'T COUNT" and didn't feel as dependent on the old standbys—plus, there were just fewer of them. ANYA and ABBA and ROTH and RUBIO were the only remaining name gimmes (could've done without that last one, but we'll let that one go for now). NAST was maybe the crosswordesiest name in the grid today, the one that is most likely to provide traction to veteran solvers like me while simultaneously baffling many others (64A: "Santa Claus in Camp" artist, 1863). Thomas NAST might be considered the official cartoonist of crosswords, in that he has been a grid staple for ages and I rarely see him discussed outside crosswords. He's famous for popularizing the Democratic donkey and the Republican elephant as political symbols, and for lampooning the 19c. Democratic political machine of Tammany Hall and "Boss" Tweed (a notoriously corrupt politician). NAST is also credited with the first depiction of the modern Santa Claus (I think "Santa Claus in Camp" might in fact be that depiction). Because I knew this, I was able to get NAST simply from the fact that the answer was four letters. Again, it felt slightly like cheating to know this stuff I probably wouldn't know if I hadn't been solving (and writing about) crosswords for decades. But oh well, what good is experience if you can't benefit from it, I suppose. 


Bullets:
  • 18A: Group with the hits "Honey, Honey" and "Money, Money, Money" (ABBA) — this answer was ... a gimme.

  • 1D: One of a nursery rhyme quintet (PIGGY) — never thought of the toe-counting game as a "nursery rhyme," but I suppose it qualifies. Also, we have ten piggies ... but I guess the song only covers five of them, so the clue is technically fine.
  • 61A: The so-called "hurricane bird," because of its reputation for seeking shelter from storms at the last possible moment (IBIS) — yes, if you are going to give me IBIS for the umpteenth time, make it interesting—write a novel-length clue about it, why not!? When I thought TESTY was TENSE (50D: Easily set off), I thought the "hurricane bird" was a TERN.
  • 55D: Pool set? (GENE) — you know the phrase "gene pool"? Well then you probably understand this clue, moving on ...
  • 29D: Where an annoying person might be told to go? (AWAY) — I don't know who's responsible for this clue, but it made me laugh, so thanks. Extremely anticlimactic. It works.
  • 19A: Something won by successful Olympians (GLORY) — so yeah, no, not MEDAL
  • 66A: Like koalas, in Australia (GREY) — maybe my favorite misdirect of all. The qualifier "in Australia" seems so bizarre, since koalas are native exclusively to Australia. So my first thought was "uh ... HOME?" Then I got GREY, mostly from crosses, and thought "wait ... aren't they GREY everywhere? What does Australia have to do with it?" Then I remembered that GREY is actually spelled GRAY in the U.S. It's only spelled GREY in Britain and Commonwealth countries ... like Australia. It's a spelling clue! Bah! But also wow. Good one.

That's all for today. See you next time.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
✏️Upcoming Crossword Tournaments✏️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

98 comments:

Conrad 6:19 AM  

Easy for a Saturday, but fun. Liked it.
* * * _ _

Overwrites:
My 10D great deal was a Steal before it was SLEWS.
At 23A, I read “Shared fantasies” as a plural noun instead of a past tense verb, so LIEs before LIED.
For “A whole lot (of)” I had slew before HEAP (35D).
redo before CALL for “Let on a court” at 51A.

Only one WOE, Ann DOWD of The Handmaid’s Tale (21A).

Bob Mills 6:22 AM  

I'm marking the date...the first Saturday I solved a puzzle without cheating that Rex didn't call "easy." Trial-and-error and a lucky guess (for ABBA) got me through the NW. "Second person in Hamlet..." was a great clue for THOU. Very enjoyable puzzle, well constructed.

Dale Gribble 6:32 AM  

Nothing kills the momentum of a decent grid then having to tap out the letters R U B I O in that order

Anonymous 6:39 AM  

love a wide open grid like this - lots of ELBOW ROOM. Especially when it's filled with good stuff NICE GOING

Son Volt 6:46 AM  

Wonderful puzzle - it was more engaging to me like a Friday but did have added juice. The big guy summarizes nicely. The intersecting spanners are the highlight and the four corner stacks are all solid.

Hacienda Brothers

The misdirects and wordplay abound - I love the fear of doubt the cluing results in deeper in the grid. I didn’t know PINK NOISE or DOWD either - needed most of the crosses for those. Stuck Roe in at first for 53a. NICE GOING, ELBOW ROOM, ICE CRUSHER are all top notch. No marina for RYE today. Fond memories of an ‘81 dark red Town and Country station wagon - fake wood trim and everything.

That keeps you in the back roads
By the rivers of my memory
That keeps you ever GENTLE on my mind


Highly enjoyable Saturday morning solve. David P. Williams’ Stumper is quite the different animal today - highly segmented and looking for trouble.

American Aquarium

Andy Freude 7:02 AM  

Yep, a fun, Friday-ish puzzle. I was surprised to learn some years back about the many colors of noise. Most so-called white noise machines make pink noise, it appears, which people generally find more soothing. I also learned about blue noise, the opposite of pink noise—it boosts the high frequencies, rather than the low frequencies. For most people it’s an annoying high-pitched hiss, but for those of us with tinnitus it’s strangely soothing. Fellow sufferers, check it out.

Rick Sacra 7:10 AM  

Awesome, perfect puzzle! A bit easy, maybe, for Saturday, but I never really complain about that. 15 minutes on Friday night, so 9 minutes faster than yesterday (after another win, Go Red Sox!). Love how 1 across announces the grid design! And ETSY SHOPS kinda rhymes with POLKADOTS, sorta. Had kiNdLE before GENTLE, and that made PINKNOISE hard to see…. But I knew it had to be some kind of NOISE, confirming the N. And just now I figured out ELBOWROOM…. It’s talking about coach on a plane! Katie, this was terrific once again! I look forward to your puzzles!

kitshef 7:14 AM  

Very good and tough Saturday, with a lot of nice clues.

7-6-21 puzzle had Rex's three ABBA songs as grid-spanners, but not clued as songs (e.g. "Demand made with hands outstretched?" for GIMMEGIMMEGIMME.

RooMonster 7:26 AM  

Hey All !
A.M. station = OMELET BAR. Tricky, tricky! That held me up quite a bit in that corner. Naturally trying to think of what an A.M. radio station general term was.

Nice SatPuz. Good misdirection clues. Open grid. Puz gets a YAY from me.

Me and some friends in High School (read: nerds, before the term was endearing) used to wear ARGYLE socks with our Chuck Taylors to school. Silly youthful things.

Couple of writeovers, ETSYStOre-ETSYSHOPS, utes-OTOE. Always chuckle when seeing I RULE.

Hope y'all have a great Saturday!

One F
RooMonster
DarrinV

Lewis 7:30 AM  

Usually a puzzle has marquee answers or standout themes, and the rest is fill. The rest is the supporting cast that you get through so the stars can shine. It’s the glue, the stuff that holds the good stuff together.

But not in a Hoody. In a Hoody, even the glue shines because of the wit in its cluing.

Today, look at the ordinary answers that ended up glittering the box due to stellar clues: ITCH, SESH, MAIL, CALL, AWAY, GREY, LIES, GENES, HOSE, and the terrific [Coach’s lack, often] for ELBOW ROOM, and [Second person seen in Hamlet?] for THOU.

Oh, man, GLORY indeed. Two spanning answers that gave the puzzle outstanding bones, surrounded by scintillation sparked by dazzling cluing. The whole box shimmered. My brain was entertained as well as given the work it loves.

Consistently you do this, Katie, and it’s why I spontaneously do an inner fist pump when I see your name atop a grid. Ten puzzles into the Times, you are a treasure. Thank you for another outstanding outing!

Anonymous 7:44 AM  

Per Car Talk: Don't criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, when you do it, you'll be a mile away, and you get to keep his shoes!

jberg 7:59 AM  

This was a colorful puzzle. First there was ovarian cancer awareness, where I had the A and figured it must be grAy. I had to get in THE same boat to see that it was TEAL. Then we got the GREY koalas later on -- does that count as a malapop? I'm gonna say it does. And finally PINK, which was clued as a color so I went from the P--if it had been Puce noise, I would have been lost.

Lots of great colloquialisms (I more often hear that we're IN THE SAME BOAT, but that's too long.) And lots of misdirecting clues. I knew coach was a travel class, but wanted it to be leg ROOM. I flew back home from Nice in coach a couple weeks ago, and my elbows were fine. My legs were not.

A couple little cluing details threw me off. First, "Marion County," Fla. sure looked like an abbreviation indicator. Most of us probably did need to know it was a Florida city, but I figured it must be St. something. And then the clue for THOU-- that is indeed a second person in Hamlet, but it is not "seen," only heard. I don't think I would have got it any sooner with out that word, but it was strange. I guess you could be reading the script and see it, but who does that?

But those are quibbles. Great puzzle.

Hey, I just noticed OATY and RYE sitting there right next to each other. That's something to CHEW on!

ElStudHombre 8:00 AM  

Very entertaining puzzle. The Hamlet clue was the best. Made me think for a minute how many Shakespeare character names have only four letters, other than our old pal Iago (I can’t think of any, myself)

SouthsideJohnny 8:04 AM  

Some really good clues today. The puzzle is full of first-level misdirects that actually work. This puzzle could be the topic in a course on crossword construction. Sometimes we get to a Saturday and the clues try so hard to misdirect that they end up sounding insincere, intentionally deceiving or outright groan inducing. That was not the case today.

I was glad to see that Rex went into a good deal of detail about everything that is “right” about this puzzle - including the fact that the constructor kept the “popular” in popular culture and didn’t have to resort to arcane nonsense and B-list celebs to glue the grid together and/or artificially amp up the difficulty level. RBG, RUBIO, Philip ROTH, LEROY Brown are all reasonably well known, and of course ABBA basically fills itself in at this point.

It wouldn’t have been a stretch at all if OFL had seen fit to award this one that extra half star, which would acknowledge that this puzzle has truly achieved elite status. Best Saturday of the year so far, and I suspect it will be difficult for a future grid to wrestle that crown away from this one.

Mr. Cheese 8:11 AM  

Also my 1st without help. Woot!

JJK 8:20 AM  

I enjoyed this a lot, easier for me then yesterday’s puzzle. Loved the long answers. One question: how is DUE the answer for ‘directly’?

Todd 8:26 AM  

If felt pretty easy. 20 minutes is good for me on Saturday. I really liked the clue for Polka dots. Last thing for me was the O in thou hose. Finally figured out hose.

Anonymous 8:28 AM  

Online 53D says “Secretary of state” instead of Secretary of State with a capitalized State. Is that some weird NYT guide it uses? I kept trying to figure out some sort of wordplay where “state” was being used to just mean “aver” or something.

Bob Mills 8:31 AM  

Think of "due north" or "due east."

Liveprof 8:34 AM  

Oops. That was me. Not sure why I obtained anonymity.

Anonymous 8:35 AM  

Nice puzzle. One nit: Too many proper names.

SouthsideJohnny 8:38 AM  

JJK - I’m not sure if this was the constructor (or perhaps Will’s) intent, but I went with the directional angle - if someone tells you to go directly north, they may say “head DUE north”. There may be other, better usages that I have not thought of, but that’s one example at least.

jb129 8:41 AM  

Wow. I woke up in a bad mood & this put me in a good one (thank you Katie).
Best Saturday in a LONG time, if ever. LOVED OMELET BAR, 63D DIY, GARAGE SALE. Thank you so much, Katie. Now I can cope with whatever DJT has in store for us today.

pabloinnh 8:42 AM  

Think DUE north. Had to think about that for a while too.

Beezer 8:43 AM  

Wow, just wow. I will just say that today @Rex pretty much summed up everything good that I experienced with this puzzle.
My only addition is…these days when seeing RUBIO in the puzzle my thoughts go to…”ah well….it could be someone MUCH worse.” Sad, but true.

Gary Jugert 8:44 AM  

Es la guerra.

Okay, some context, and a grumble: I did this puzzle last night moping in my living room. We were supposed to go to a Taimane Gardner concert here at the Albuquerque Zoo. I've been following her entire career and have so much admiration for her work and I couldn't believe she was coming to this, uh, neck of the woods. I don't go to many concerts as I teach music and have a regular job too and there's never any time. And we have a zillion year old dog we inherited who can't be left alone for more than a couple of hours. So I get tickets, arrange all the timing, and what happens. Epic flooding rain. It doesn't rain for a year and a half here in the desert and then swoosh. NOAH, where are you? So we sit in the parking lot waiting to see if it'll stop and if the show will go on ... and my battery dies in the car. So now I have to call AAA because we have to be able to be home for the dog in time and they came out surprisingly quickly and were wonderful. So then we don't dare shut the car off so we went home and I pouted while the show did go on and my students who also went to the show met Taimane and shot a video after the show with her saying "hey" to me. So you can tell I didn't approach this crossword with a sense of wonder and a jubilant spirit, but a massive "poor me" pathology. Alas, first world problems. Glad this is a really well done and humorous puzzle.

Same exact solve as 🦖 except I knew none of the proper nouns so I didn't walk away with a feeling of excitement, mainly relief. Challenging and enjoyable, but roadblocked by the folks. It's what we do on Saturdays.

In my experience, the only way to address a shingles problem on your face is to take narcotics while the Valtrex is kicking in. Lots and lots of narcotics.

People: 9
Places: 1
Products: 4
Partials: 5
Foreignisms: 0
--
Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 19 of 72 (26%)

Funny Factor: 8 🤣

Uniclues:

1 Apt opportunity to wear a teeny yellow bikini.
2 Well, today it's, "Device used in making snow cones."
3 Celebratory shout out from a foot fetishist.
4 Lothario.

1 POLKADOTS SESH
2 ICE CRUSHER CLUE
3 NICE GOING PIGGY (~)
4 FLIRTS TYPE (~)

My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Whack the dude into twins but good. DOPE SLAP NOAH.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mmorgan 8:50 AM  

Great puzzle! One nit: aren’t shingles painful, rather than itchy??

pabloinnh 8:52 AM  

Almost exactly OFL's experience down to the PINKNOISE and DOWD as no-knows, plus @Conrad's LIES for LIED, which kept me from seeing THATDOESN'TCOUNT for way too long. I'd add ETSYSHOPS because I thought ETSY was only an on line thing, and it may be and they are still called SHOPS, such is my experience, or lack thereof, of ETSY.

I'm with everyone else in applauding the cluing in this one. It's always interesting to get a one-word clue like "lead" or "light" and have the intended meaning show up after a cross or two. For a further explanation of all the terrific misdirects I enjoyed, please consult the OFL analysis.

Wonderful Saturday, KH. I Keep Hoping every Saturday will be like this, and you never disappoint. Thanks for all the fun.

Anonymous 8:54 AM  

JJK: Its time is due. It will happen directly. Imminent timing.

Kathy 8:59 AM  

What a joy! Loaded with wordplay and misdirects…and no structural gimmicks. My favorite kind of puzzle is one in which the words rule. (THOU was brilliant.) It’s been a while since I smiled at so many answers in one puzzle. Yes, it was easy for a Saturday but I’ll take quality like this any day of the week. Thank you, Katie!

Anonymous 9:11 AM  

Think “due west”…as in directions

Anonymous 9:12 AM  

Like "due East"

Anonymous 9:16 AM  

When giving directions “Due west”

jock spit 9:18 AM  

A REAL puzzle….no bizarre AI, old fashioned fun…my brain had a wonderful shower…thank you Ms Hoody!!!

Anonymous 9:20 AM  

The misdirects kept coming just like yesterday.Loved them both.🎈🎈🎊🎊

Anonymous 9:22 AM  

Due or directly North.e.g.

Spleen 9:35 AM  

Where I work, the brown noise stinks.

SouthsideJohnny 9:41 AM  

It’s not unusual to have duplicate answers in some of the major daily crossword puzzles, especially when it’s hardcore crosswordese. It is a much less common occurrence for the longer answers or more uncommon phrases to be duped. Today we have a pretty cool one, as OMELET BAR also appears in today’s LAT grid. They have pretty stellar clues in both grids. The stars must be aligned today.

Anonymous 9:58 AM  

"Lear" is one.

Anonymous 10:15 AM  

I liked this one! As many have mentioned, lots of great clues. I think my only overwrite was ICEGRINDER before ICECRUSHER.

53D could have had a better clue: "Little" Marco ____

@ElStudHombre 8:00 AM, I'm sure there are at least a couple of others, but Puck (A Midsummer Night's Dream) jumps to mind as another four-letter Shakespeare character.

Anonymous 10:18 AM  

Shingles is painful, but it can itch. To avoid both, get the shingles vaccine, which may also reduce the risk of developing dementia.

Diane Joan 10:25 AM  

I’m so sorry that all happened to you! We had a similar experience here in NJ. We drove through torrential rain, were late for our dinner reservation, saw the opening act to a concert and then the bathrooms flooded at the venue due to the torrential rain. The main act was cancelled. Luckily we caught up with the great Buddy Guy at a later date in a much nicer venue. Hope you get another chance to see the show!

Jeremy E 10:26 AM  

With the buffered comments, we get to see multiple examples given for this question and the winner is four Norths, with two Easts and two Wests also showing up. No love for South, sadly. Have we forgotten Paul Gross so soon?

Anonymous 10:38 AM  

Confused? Were you sitting for so long that you had to leave to care for the pooch? In other words, I assume yiu discovered the dead batt when you were ready to go home. Did AAA install a new battery? Or fid they just give you a jump? If it was jjust a jump, wasn’t there anyone around to give you one? Did yiu operate the vehicle long enough to charge tge battery. If so, is the charge holding this morning?
Fasvinated by the timing of the dead battery as it related to the toning of the concert? Just can’t reconcile it.

Anonymous 10:41 AM  

Yes!! That was my only clueing quibble

egsforbreakfast 10:44 AM  

Not to steal any of @Gary's uniclues, but the row starting at 22A happens to be a recent direct quote from Rubio - - "YAY! LIED! ITSWAR!".

Neither my left nor right TESTY is easily set off these days.

I've spent time in the South of France, and I've found that in NICEGOING out to dinner should wait until 9:00 or later.

I have a crowbar, a pry bar, several soap bars, a candy bar and a gold bar. I guess I'll need to look into getting one of them OMELETBARs.

Great cluing. Fantastic puzzle. YAY!!! 6 days of good and great puzzles in a row. Usually I pray ON Sunday, but now I'm praying FOR Sunday to make it seven. Thanks, Katie Hoody.

Anonymous 10:47 AM  

Rare that I agree with Rex two days in a row, but another (real) good one. I dont usually enjoy Saturday puzzles, I fight them! This one kept me entertained as I struggled, and offered hints and escapes as I progressed , and I really appreciated it. Would love to see your name more often, but I figure you have IRL to live as well. Thanks much

Anonymous 10:52 AM  

I think "directly" means "pair" in Italian

Liveprof 11:01 AM  

Macbeth's wife's first name was Lady, and their dog was named Spot.

Masked and Anonymous 11:14 AM  

Enjoyed all the zigs and zags with them clues today. Took an extra post-solvequest cup of coffee juice, to see why a coach wouldn't have any ELBOWROOM. [Unfortunately, M&A is about to take his first looong plane trip in the last 30-40 years. That oughta heighten my awareness, for such puzclues... but I digress ...]
Ms. Katy darlin should be on the NYTPuz staff, in charge of writin/editin the clues, IM&AO. [...Assumin a high % of today's clues were hers.]

staff weeject pick [of a mere 8 choices]: RBG. Miss her on-court professional presence.

Like yesterday's, hard to tick off just a few fave fillins/clues. Yesterday's did have The Jaws of Themelessness, I'd grant. But this puz seems to wanna point out THATDOESNTCOUNT.
Real hard to cast more fog on an answer than a {A.M. station} = OMELETBAR clue, I reckon. That and that ELBOWROOM clue, of course.
Ahar -- possible key to real clean fillins: Leave out the J,Q,V,X,Z. Works for m&e, as long as the U's endUre.

Thanx for the fun messin with our heads, Ms. Hoody darlin. You do very good work. And stay parked on yer SatPuz creativity level [9/10 of hers have been SatPuzs]. Althooo ... that one ThursPuz of yers was pretty cute, too ...

Masked & Anonymo5Us

p.s
Runt puzzle:
**gruntz**

M&A

pabloinnh 11:20 AM  

Proud to say I finish the Stumper no cheats but not so proud of my time. What a bear.

Carola 11:28 AM  

I was in "ha, ha, can't fool me" mode when I knew that the Hamlet answer was THOU (or THee), and then I got to the Australian koala and couldn't imagine what word was spelled G?EY. Crosswords - maybe the best way to have fun and be humbled at the same time. Agree with everyone about what a treat this puzzle was, in entries and creative clues.. I think my favorite clue was "Shared fantasies," where I, like some others, took "Shared" as an adjective, not seeing the "verb" option. Only the mess of THATsOE made me rethink.

puzzlehoarder 11:33 AM  

Once again the late week difficulty gradient is reversed. Thursday was Saturday level, Friday was average late week but today's offering was strictly early week. The NW set the tone for the entire solve. The clue for 1A screamed POLKADOTS and OCALA, LEROY, KCAR and ARGYLES were all gimmies.

I had a LIES/LIED write over. I expected SCADS to be HEAPS. DOWD , PINKNOISE and the short comings of IBISes were all unknowns but that was precious little mystery for a puzzle that's supposed to be the most difficult of the week.

Anonymous 11:48 AM  

Puck!

Anonymous 11:52 AM  

I like when I can't just zoom thrugh an entire corner on a Saturday. I remember just a few years ago when all Saturdays were like that. And yet, my time would've been in Easy territory back then but it's borderline Medium-Challenging by 2026 standards. Really enjoyed this puzzle but I still feel Saturdays should be harder than this.

Anonymous 11:57 AM  

Totally enjoyed it! I agree with OFL. Finished it in a little over 27 minutes, which is pretty good for me on a Saturday.

Anonymous 12:10 PM  

I get the same feeling with OSHA and EPA clued - nostalgia plus impotent rage

mathgent 12:18 PM  

My internet version of the puzzle had lower case S in the clue for 53D. I thought that this typo would have been corrected for the print version, but it's still there in the West Coast edition.

Happy to learn about PINKNOISE. I take 6 mg of Melatonin before bed.

Only eight Terrible Threes. Excellent. Good puzzle.

Anonymous 12:24 PM  

Itch and pain nerve fibers join at the same relay neurons in the spinal cord which can blur the user experience. Shingles can be intensely itchy or very painful. Or sometimes just meh! Results may vary.

Mothra 12:51 PM  

Ah, Gentle on My Mind…such a beautiful song.

jae 12:55 PM  

Easy. Pretty whooshy for a Saturday.

RYE and IBIS as clued and PINK NOISE were it for WOEs.

Costly erasure - subTLE before GENTLE.

Not much junk, some fun tricky clues, a fair amount of sparkle, liked it.

Teedmn 1:24 PM  

Easier than yesterday for me. I might have gotten traction in the NW if I'd stuck around long enough to read the clues for 3D LEROY and 9D SELA, but I got spooked early and ran over to the NE where SESH and ABBA started me off nicely.

I was pleased to get 8D THAT DOESN'T COUNT with only OES in place - the clue so well matched the answer.

When I got to 41A, "Waft fragrant smoke around", I was thinking of "smudge" as in burning sage to cleanse your home's aura (no, I have never done this and don't plan to but I see it in novels occasionally.) But smudge was too long and I eventually remembered all of those Stations of the Cross rituals I experienced in my youth. I was never a great fan of the scent the smoke from the censer wafted.

I'm not a white/pink/brown noise person, for sleeping. I don't like staying within hearing distance of the ocean - the ebb and flow of the waves keeps me awake. My husband loves it.

Katie Hoody, thanks for an interesting Saturday themeless!

Anonymous 1:25 PM  

Didn't enjoy it at all. Too many names. Too much lousy fill. Finished in a decent time but it wasn't fun. Why destroy the clever cluing by packing the grid with obscure names?

Mike Herlihy 1:35 PM  

https://bestforpuzzles.com/lists/shakespeare-characters/4.html lists 38 names!

okanaganer 1:43 PM  

Easy? Fairly challenging for me at 30 minutes. Maybe it's because I've been away at our cabin all week and am that quickly out of practice. (Great to see family and finally meet my great niece's boyfriend etc, but we had very thick wildfire smoke... visibility about 5 km. It's ugly, but luckily I don't have breathing problems unlike some of my kin who had to stay indoors yesterday. Bummer!)

It was a satisfying puzzle, with the annoyance of too many names. There were only a couple of total Unknowns (DOWD and ANYA), but a lot of ones I just couldn't get without a lot of crosses: OCALA OSSIE RBG RUBIO ROTH NAST.

And boy a lot of tricky clues! GARAGE SALE, GREY, ROUND ROBIN, THOU, OMELET BAR (wanted BREAKFAST of course), then ELBOW ROOM, SUBWAY MAP, and HEADRESTS all glued together.

At least I learned something new: PINK NOISE (I had GREY for a while).

Les S. More 1:46 PM  

Andy. Thanks for the tip. Never heard of blue noise before. When my tinnitus gets too annoying, I usually just crank up Jimi Hendrix and overpower it. But I'll look into it. Whoa! There are recordings up to 12 hours long on YouTube! OK, Dr. Freude, I'll try it for an hour or two.

Les S. More 1:54 PM  

jberg. Agree with you about we're IN THE SAME BOAT. Never heard the "I'm" version. But it was inferrable. Also agree it was a great puzzle.

LorrieJJ 1:58 PM  

Ann Dowd is one of those character actors whose face you've seen a million times but you never learn their names. She simply wonderful in just about everything she does. If you've ever watched Law & Order, you've probably seen her.

Les S. More 2:03 PM  

Jeremy E. Thanks for the Due South/Paul Gross reference. Forgotten? No. A Canadian icon.

Anonymous 2:10 PM  

The clue for PENS (pre-digital recording devices) was so clever that it was wrong. At least I need fingers (ie digits) to use a pen

Les S. More 2:50 PM  

Gary. I know you are a ukulele guy and I'm not and I've always worried about you because of that but I just viewed some YouTube video of Taimane Gardner and … WOW! You can do that on a ukulele? I can see why missing that has you pissed. My condolences.

Beezer 2:58 PM  

Magnesium glycinate also good for muscle relaxation…an hour before hitting the hay. But ONLY glycinate…not the other magnesium combos…um, we will just say lower digestion issues with others. I decided I like brown noise the best, but “no noise” is fine with me, too!

Beezer 3:04 PM  

I’ve had a touch of tinnitus due to early age ear infections (before tubes were common). Search said brown noise good for tinnitus, but I’ll listen to blue. Since I’ve had it since age 12…I dunno…I think it might be MY personal white, pink, or brown noise because it is just my constant background noise…

EasyEd 3:04 PM  

What a great collection of fun and misleading clues! Took me my usual EONS to finish a Saturday puzzle but enjoyed every decade of it.

Beezer 3:13 PM  

Yup @12:10pm…as a retired state environmental attorney, I enjoyed the days when EPA told us (well not ME…I agreed) you HAVE to have laws at LEAST as stringent as ours. Now it’s a race to the bottom.

DAVinHOP 3:13 PM  

Echoing the overwhelming sentiment that this was a superb Saturday puzzle. My initial prediction was four stars (correct), but I got there via starting with a base score of 4-1/2 and deducting a half-point for inclusion of a war criminal (hopefully whose conviction date is TBD, on or after January, 2029). But Rex "let it go", so a straight ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ .

I typed in POLKA DOTS for 1A right off the bat. Hoo-boy, not many more first guesses were on the mark. Solving stream-of-consciousness on-line eliminates erasures and crossouts; but today they spawned SCADS of overwrites.

Nothing complimentary to add that hasn't already been said, but our co-award of gold medal clue/answers goes to THOU and the sublimely hidden by its clue ELBOW ROOM.

And coincidental or not, Four Star Friday and Saturday puzzles were both Star Wars-free!!

Beezer 3:16 PM  

Excellent observations and I agree!

RooMonster 3:38 PM  

Damn, @Gary, that sucks. I thought I was the only one who life has it out for.

Plan to see a concert by them again, and don't let anything stop you next time!

Roo

Gary Jugert 4:06 PM  

@Anonymous 10:38 AM
Ha! Well, since you asked. 😉

25 years ago: Discover ukulele and dedicate my life to making community music with it. I know, weird.

20 years ago: See YouTube video of future ukulele rock goddess as a teenager playing Wipe Out on the streets of Honolulu. Watch her career blossom.

10 years ago: Mother-in-law refuses to leave Albuquerque after dimensia concerns because, "We'll be fine."

5 years ago: Take her dog and move her into care because they are not "fine."

2 years ago: Yank up roots and move to Albuquerque (with very old dog) as they're "really really not fine."

6 months ago: Wait, what? Taimane is playing in Albuquerque?!

4 pm yesterday: Prep dog with multiple trips out back. Best case scenario, she'll be fine until 9:30. Crosses fingers. We never go out at night anymore.

5:45 pm: Drive to zoo. Clouds look menacing.

6:00 pm: Biblical downpour Southwest style with arroyos full and stay home emergency alerts. Doors are delayed by an hour at the concert. We sit in car (with radio on for weather alerts -- there's the mistake).

7:00 pm: Taimane posts from green room they're also watching the weather radar and it looks bleak.

7:15 pm: While trying to roll up the windows we've had cracked (it's still a zillion degrees even when it rains here) I discover the dead battery. Call Triple A as we're the only ones left in the rainy parking lot. Everyone else either left or went into the zoo.

8 pm: Concert starts without me. Triple A jumps us.

8:01: Drive home bemoaning how life works.

8:30: Do crossword puzzle angrily.

9:30: Receive after concert video of Taimane saying "hi" to me recorded by one of my ukulele students.

Today: Go to Toyota. Have battery tested. It's fine.

Sigh.

Moral: Never meet your heros? Or, batteries aren't what they used to be? Or, when it rains it pours? Or, never go outside?

Anoa Bob 4:21 PM  

Yeah, I agree that this one gets a hearty NICE GOING rating but I was mildly put off by a couple of features.

That center scatter plot of black squares with all those four letter speed bumps seemed fussy and slowed any flow between sections. It was more like I was picking my way through a maze. I thought yesterday's grid was better in that regard.

And I always notice, and not in a good way, when marquee entries need some help doing their jobs as happens with POLKA DOT, HEAD REST and ETSY SHOP. POC to the rescue. Minor points off for that in my book.

In case some of you aren't familiar with the nursery rhyme:

This little PIGGY went to market (wiggle big toe)
This little PIGGY stayed home (wiggle long toe)
This little PIGGY had roast beef (wiggle middle toe)
This little PIGGY had none (wiggle ring toe)
This little PIGGY cried "Wee! Wee! Wee!"
all the way home. (wiggle little toe and tickle bottom of foot)

This works well not only for infants and toddlers but also for people of all ages.





jazzmanchgo 4:37 PM  

RUBIO crossed with RBG -- LOVE IT!! Now the "professionally offended" who see all life through ideological eyes can rise up and throw "isms" at each other. Should be a great show -- wish I could sell tickets.

Jimbo 4:41 PM  

So much fun. My favorite puzzle in a long time.

jazzmanchgo 4:48 PM  

They're both. But technically, you're not supposed to scratch them, so I'm sure a lot of medical folks winced at that clue.

Anonymous 4:51 PM  

Yeah. Still confused. Why did everyone ejse head into the concert while you stayed in the parking lot?

jazzmanchgo 5:17 PM  

RE: Yesterdays "Mac"/"Mack" discussion -- The word "Mack" has been slang for a player or hustler in African-American verncular English for a long time. From what I understand, it derives from the French "mec" (sometimes "mac," short for " maquereau"), which was slang for "pimp." I think it came into AAVE via Haitian Creole. A lot of Haitian people came to New Orleans ca. late 1790s/early 1899s after the revolution, bringing their patois with them, and that may well be how "Mack" intinuated itself into Black American slang, It definitly shows up in toasts, folk songs, and early blues and jazz lyrics.

dgd 6:19 PM  

I never heard anything about the colors of noise other than white. Also I never heard that certain of these colors are good for tinnitus sufferers. When I first developed tinnitus a few years ago, I went to an ENT who said I needed hearing aids, but also saying there was nothing to do about the tinnitus. Looking back, the doctor seemed to look at me as a set of ears to refer to an audiologist in the office Thanks for the information, Andy Les & Beezer.

dgd 6:23 PM  

Liveprof
Loved Car Talk Loved the joke.

dgd 6:53 PM  

jberg
I disagree about seeing THOU in Hamlet I most definitely read Hamlet before I saw it. When Shakespeare was routinely taught in high school (don’t know about now) I think the vast majority read it before they saw it, if they ever did see it I just looked up Macbeth and the first listing ( after Ai of course) was an ad from Amazon about reading it.

Five letter Florida city I tried OCALA first as usual. It works for me. Didn’t even notice the abbreviation. Those 3 vowels are very useful.

Anonymous 7:10 PM  

Anonymous 4:51 PM
Because he wasn’t sure the car would start up again. Read what he said toward the end - also he didn’t say but everything was delayed so to in would mean the dog would be alone too long

dgd 7:13 PM  

Southside
Thanks for the info!

Hugh 7:33 PM  

Same experience as @Rex today except I may have liked it even better, maybe 4.5 stars.
The cluing was absolutely breathtaking and I thought the difficulty level was just right for a (modern-day) Saturday.
If there was a dictionary entry for a close to perfect Saturday NYTXW I think this would be it.
Thank you Katie, this was a stunner.

dgd 7:51 PM  

Okanaganer
Your list unknown and difficult to remember names was interesting. FWIW. ANYA has been in the puzzle a lot lately because convenient letters and she became well known in the US because of a hit Netflix series. I even know the name now. She will appear again! RBG became a popular moniker for Ruth Bader Ginsberg who was a very well liked and known US Supreme Court justice ( she died in 2020. She was also known for her women’s rights activism before she joined the Court.) For most Americans one letter is enough. Much of your list is crosswordese, well known to most older longtime American crossword solvers.ithe list has a VERY American bent though and that may be your problem with the names.

Anonymous 7:53 PM  

“Shared Fantasies” should not have a question mark. “Second person”…should.

Anonymous 8:01 PM  

The last time I checked many recording devices still require fingers to use them (that is to turn the device or phone feature on) Anyway,the clue doesn’t limit the recording device to electronic ones. That is the whole point. A pen is a recording device as people use it to keep record of a lecture, speech etc etc. The answer is not wrong.

Anonymous 8:10 PM  

Anoa Bob
Polka dot
When is there one polka dot? Not often . It could be argued that it would be a singular of convenience. I think PoLKADOTS should be an exception to your rule. Not that many in this

dgd 8:19 PM  

Great puzzle. I did find on the easy side. Easier than yesterday’s for me. As people said, so many great clues for even short answers. Like THOU.
I was helped by knowing most of the propers. Gary gave it a low gunk %. So those we complained about the names were having wheel house problems Rare, such overwhelming praise.

Geoff H 11:36 AM  

I do get a bit tired of video games being treated as some obscure niche by boomer and even GenX culture writers. Super Mario Bros has been an extremely mainstream piece of pop culture for going on 40 years now and video games are as big and as popular as the film industry. It’s ridiculously curmudgeonly at this point to think one of the most popular and recognizable media properties in the world is unworthy of inclusion in a crossword. If I’m expected to know about ancient sitcoms from before I was born (look at today’s 1A clue for crying out loud!) then Rex can deal with the occasional themer that’s about something that post-dates the time when dinosaurs roamed the earth. 🙄

Anonymous 3:30 PM  

Loved this Saturday puzzle, such clever clueing esp 16A ! I had to look up OSSIE and DOWD and IBIS because I too thought tern.
I had leak before ITCH and yes I’ve had two shingles vaccines! I had chicken pox twice, once as an adult which was excruciating. (All these measles outbreaks now are unforgivable- hope some parents take legal action. )

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP