Sound of rejection on a 1970s variety show / SUN 5-26-24 / Famed Damascus product / "Embiggens" the English language / Charlie Chaplin started his career with this not-at-all-silent form of entertainment / It comes from the Greek for "indivisible" / Queen song from which a pop icon took her name

Sunday, May 26, 2024

Constructor: John Kugelman

Relative difficulty: Easy


THEME: "Roughly Speaking" — familiar phrases clued as descriptions of insults (the clues are the insults, the answers an imagined description of those insults):

Theme answers:
  • KNOCK ON WOOD (21A: "That rotted old log ain't even fit for termite food!") (insulting a piece of wood)
  • KNITTING NEEDLE (31A: "Huh, I wasn't aware I was at an ugly sweater party") (insulting someone's knitting)
  • BURN AFTER READING (45A: "The only mystery in this novel is why I finished it") (insulting a book after reading it)
  • ARCHAEOLOGICAL DIG (59A: "My dog could translate an ancient Mesopotamian tablet faster than you") (insulting a fellow academic)
  • BLAST FROM THE PAST (75A: "Thou art a villainous knave") (insulting someone in a Shakespeare play)
  • PUT DOWN ON PAPER (89A: "Dear John, I'm writing you this letter to tell you—it's not me, it's 100% you") (insulting someone in writing)
  • FRENCH ROAST (101A: "Tu as le Q.I. d'une huître" ("You have the I.Q. of an oyster")) (insulting someone en français)
Word of the Day: "The GONG Show" (5A: Sound of rejection on a 1970s variety show) —

The Gong Show is an American television game show, that was produced in the late 1970s and early 1980s. It was created and hosted by Chuck Barris. The show's name came from a gong used to shorten performances that were not liked. The gong was sounded by celebrity judges, who rated the performers. [...] Two versions of The Gong Show aired at first: A nighttime version, hosted by radio announcer Gary Owens, and a daytime version, hosted by Barris himself. Barris later took over the nighttime version also. Each version worked the same, but featured different judges and performers. A live band played music for the performances. Live audiences attended each show, and cheered on the acts they liked. When they did not like an act, they would call on the judges to "Gong 'em!" If a judge sounded the gong, the act had to stop, and lost their chance for a prize. The performer who rated highest with the judges won a cash prize. (The "prize" was mostly for show; all the performers were paid the same, whether they won or not.) // Many celebrities served as judges on the show, including Jaye P. Morgan and Jamie Farr. One well-known comedian, Murray Langston, performed on the show with a paper bag over his head. He called himself the "Unknown Comic", and told simple jokes when he appeared onstage. Langston won his round, and was invited back to appear other times. Many people wondered who the Unknown Comic really was. Langston later admitted he had appeared on the show just for some quick cash, because he needed money. He hid his identity so his performance would not hurt his comedy career, since he was already well-known. (wikipedia)
• • •

This was pretty tedious. I didn't even understand what was going on until about halfway through, and even then I'm not sure it fully registered. I think one of the problems was the title, which was not evocative of the theme at all. "Roughly speaking?" Is the idea that insults are a "rough" way of "speaking" to someone? All puns and wordplay could be construed as "roughly speaking," in that you are speaking obliquely or approximately or whatever, but I assume the title is also supposed to evoke the idea of "insult," and "Roughly speaking" just doesn't do it for me. Beyond that, the phrases themselves are varying degrees of on-the-money. Actually, they're all generally OK, except KNITTING NEEDLE, which seems highly contrived, grammatically (a "needle" about your "knitting?" "Needle" is much much more common as a verb than a noun, in this insult sense). I don't know what there's a "!" at the end of the KNOCK ON WOOD clue but not the others. But the overall problem for me wasn't that it didn't make any sense, but it just wasn't all that interesting, and the clues weren't nearly funny enough (and in a puzzle like this, they really need to be). Something about the I.Q. of an oyster? Is that a famous expression? Why oysters? Why I.Q.? (what is the puzzle's ridiculous obsession with I.Q.?). By the end I wasn't even really looking much at the theme clues—the rest of the puzzle was so easy that the themers just kinda filled themselves in: work the crosses until something like a familiar phrase shows up in the theme answer slot, and then just fill it in. Never even saw the FRENCH ROAST clue for this reason. Gotta be funnier, wackier, and much much loopier if you wanna stretch a punny theme across the very large area of a Sunday-sized grid.


As I say, the puzzle was very easy. Almost insultingly easy. I don't really remember much about it. Real basic fill, real basic clues. I remember thinking SEEN INTO was awkward (77D: Investigated). I remember thinking SCENERY was SCRIMS (wouldn't fit) (80A: Background in the theater) and that AMBI was OMNI (two letters in common! made for a rough start) (1A: Prefix with valent). I did not know that Damascus was famous for STEEL (20D: Famed Damascus product) or that Chaplin had started out CLOG DANCING (13D: Charlie Chaplin started his career with this not-at-all-silent form of entertainment). Turns out the meaning of "Damascus steel" is contentious; looks like the "damask" pattern in the steel (used specifically for sword blades) had at least as much to do with the name as the city of Damascus. "TikToker" looks exceedingly dumb, for obvious reasons ("... I'm a midnight (Tik) Toker!") (14D: TikToker's hope = VIRAL VIDEO). I don't think of "ACK!" as an "Oops!" equivalent at all (1D: "Oops!"). Has Cathy (of "Cathy" fame) been saying "Oops!" all these years when she stands on a scale or looks at herself wearing a bikini in the dressing room mirror!? 


Had to think for a second to get the first vowel in (Ryan) LOCHTE. Haven't thought about him since ... whenever those Olympics were ('08 and '12 were the big ones for him, looks like). COIN A PHRASE would work fine (TO COIN A PHRASE, even better), but COINS A WORD, oof, awkward EATS-A-SANDWICH vibes (even the "Simpsons" reference in the clue couldn't redeem this one for me) (16A: "Embiggens" the English language). Doesn't even look like very much needs explaining today. INSTA is the photo/video-sharing app INSTAgram, in case you Somehow didn't know that (41D: The 'gram). FOOT is "metric" in the sense that it's a term related to poetic meter (93A: Nonmetric unit ... or a metric unit) (I'd say a FOOT is a "metrical unit," but we'll leave that aside). The FOOT is like the ATOM of poetry (smallest meaningful unit) (yes, yes, there are units smaller than an ATOM, just play along, Seymour). With iambic pentameter, for instance, there are five iambs per line, and an iamb, as you probably know—from solving crosswords, if not from literature class—is a type of poetic "foot" (composed of two syllables, the first unstressed, the second stressed). SHOP is probably wood shop, but maybe metal shop also? (80D: Class where students learn about squares and planes). I guess they wanted you to think MATH, but were you really fooled? 


This puzzle is really giving me nothing to work with today. The fill seems solid enough, but it's all somehow remarkably dull. I'm gonna go now, and leave you to talk amongst yourselves. I'll leave you with this recent Elton John / DUA Lipa collaboration (82A: Pop's ___ Lipa). (I've fallen down a bit of an Elton John rabbit hole of late, and while reading his wikipedia page yesterday, I discovered that he'd had not one but two recent #1 hits (!!??!), one with Britney Spears (again, I say, !!??!), and another with DUA Lipa. I thought he'd basically stopped having hits some time after The Lion King soundtrack, but no, he just switched primarily to collabs and seems to be essentially unstoppable. He has an Apple Radio program where he promotes a lot of great young talent (here he is talking to Alynda Segarra of Hurray for the Riff Raff, for instance). I quite like him.)


See you next time!

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]

78 comments:

jae 12:29 AM  

Easy breezy and mildew amusing, liked it more than @Rex did. A pleasant finish to an easy weekend.

Me too for oMni before AMBI.

egsforbreakfast 12:51 AM  

That landlubber was such a DOPE that he didn't know his PORTEND from his aft side.

I don't know about TABLESUGAR. I mean, sure there's table salt. But I don't think I've run across TABLESUGAR IRL. Sounds more like a good luck talisman in craps - - "Daddy needs some table sugar here."

I've known more than a few losers whose academic CVs only gained them employment at CVS. But it's better than life on DEMEAN streets.

Kinda liked this better than @Rex did, but I know what he means.

sharonak 1:18 AM  

Mostly did NOT agree with Rex's take.
Imagine that!

I enjoyed finding the phrases described turned into insults by the clues.
I particularly smiled at 21A 31A and 59A. And 45A after I realized what "burn" meant.

There were couple of other clues/answers I did out get and or did not like. I disliked CPUS as an answer . Maybe if I'd known what ti was, I would not have thought it was not a word one would ever want to say or hear.
I do NOT get why "five o" is 'police, slangily". Have never heard it used as anything but the name of the TV show Hawaii Five O.
Also, why are pie tins disposable baking pans? I certainly don't throw mine away.

Some names were annoyingly difficult. CCR?! Have definitely heard of Creedane Clearwater Revival but not by initials.

Ken Freeland 2:41 AM  

There were a couple of quasi-.
Kudos! naticks in this puzzle ((BRAH/ADAMS which could conceivably be BRoH/ADo and RADIOGAGA/DUA, but educated guesses get you out of these. The PPP quotient in this puzzle was mercilessly low This constructor mostly required us to know words, not PPP . For that reason I am awarding this puzzle five stars... I don't agree at all with Rex's critique this week... Yes the puzzle was on the easyish side, but so what? It was fun from start to finish

Melrose 3:03 AM  

Will someone please explain 88A Switch predecessors = WIIS?
Didn’t know drummer in 89D and had Doorpusher for 63D so missed 98A, Atom, which should have been obvious. Phooey.

Otherwise very easy, theme not particularly interesting or hard to grok. Agree with Rex, felt kinda tedious, not much fun.

Anonymous 3:32 AM  

The French clue is in reference to an actual insult in French. See also, 'Tu me prends pour une huître?' Like most idioms, don't think too hard about it.

Smith 4:20 AM  

Well, @Rex, I disagree! I thought it was amusing and even a bit clever, although, yes, easy. 👋👋 for oMnI before AMBI. But I got the trick at KNOCK ON WOOD, even though I'm solving *on my phone* and didn't register the puzzle's title (it's just there for a hot sec on the opening screen, not always with you as in the paper magazine, which I won't see again for 3 more Sundays...)
No problem with KNITTING NEEDLE. Needle as a verb is kinda fun, it suggests (to me) something less than a full on diss, like you'd say to your health nut brother with a bag of Doritos, "I thought you didn't eat junk food!" with a smile.
I'll be back later to see what wonderful uniclues Gary comes up with; looks like fertile ground today.

As I’m publishing this it is the first comment (10.20 my time so 2.20 am yours).

Conrad 5:03 AM  


What @jae 12:29 AM said. No overwrites (although I did briefly trip over the math/SHOP trap at 80D), no WOEs.

Anonymous 5:23 AM  

The Nintendo Switch is a video game system, and the previous Nintendo video game system prior to the Switch was the Nintendo Wii

Anonymous 5:24 AM  

Really enjoyed this one! Once I caught on to the theme I was sufficiently mildly amused. Only confusion I still have is how “skinny” relates to “dope”? Can anyone help me with that one?

Anonymous 5:35 AM  

Nintendo game console prior to the Switch was the Wii.

Anonymous 6:02 AM  

Nintendo game consoles. First the WII, then the Switch

Shirley F 6:13 AM  

That's exactly why five-o is slang for the police.

Lewis 7:05 AM  

Wordplay is a clever endeavor, kindling the brain. Humor warms the soul. When a puzzle combines the two, well, it makes me feel good all over. And that’s just what John Kugelman does time and again.

This is, after all, the man who previously brought us [“I know they’ve had them on all day, but let the kids eat their candy. After all, a Ring Pop is a … “] for WEARABLE THING TO TASTE. Who clued JUNK DRAWER as [Erotic artist?].

And today the wit combined with the twinkle in the eye continues. Everyday phrases reimagined by taking a word meaning “insult”, and using one of its other definitions to marvelous effect.

What makes the theme answers sparkle is not only the wordplay, but their clues – funny, right on the mark. Clues made by an artist, IMO.

Plus, this is one of those themes where the cat is out of the bag after the first theme answer, leaving six more to try to guess with as few letters filled in as possible – something my brain relishes.

In addition, some excellent cluing originality, new clues for answers clued many times before: [Get off to a flying start?] for TAXI, and [It’s bright when its full] for MOON.

Taken all together, your puzzle produced a spontaneous mental standing-O, John. I laughed. I wowed. My brain’s work ethic was satisfied. Thank you, sir, and I eagerly await your next!

Anonymous 7:06 AM  

Skinny and dope are synonyms. Both are slang for “info”

Rebecca 7:32 AM  

The slang for dude is "bruh" not "brah." I've got hundreds of texts between my 11 year old daughter and her friends to prove it.

Anonymous 7:34 AM  

Sometimes when I finish a puzzle I try to guess whether Rex will like it before I click over to this site. I was wrong about this one, probably because I disagree with him so firmly. I thought the theme was cute, many of the longer answers were vibrant, and many of the clues clever. Definitely easy but not insultingly so.

SouthsideJohnny 7:41 AM  

I don’t know . . . AMBI,ACK, Embiggens, the drummer from RUSH - it seems like there is enough scattered throughout the grid to keep the Sunday warriors challenged a bit. Congrats if you blew through this one like a hot knife through butter. I’d go with a typical Sunday, albeit maybe a little on the easy side. Rex makes it sound like a walk in the park, which it likely was for him I have no doubt. Not so sure about the rest of us.

andrew 7:54 AM  

Agree that this was easy. Disagree that this was tedious. Finding seven theme answers, all of which worked nicely, is an achievement and made for the best Sunday in quite a while.

Remember the Seinfeld episode about the Cotton Dockers commercial? Sometimes it seems like Rex is Jerry (“what can you possibly LIKE about that?”) and the commenters here are Donna (“Yeah, I think it’s clever!”)

If they’re not Dockers, they’re just pants!

kitshef 8:19 AM  

Well, that's one of my fastest Sundays ever. I don't actually know my fastest, but this was blazing fast. Only overwrites were 1A equI before AMBI and 14D _____VIews before ____VIDEO.

Kind of a shame that it was over so quickly as I was enjoying the theme today and would have liked it if things lasted longer.

Early on, I was getting a little miffed by a bunch of unknown proper names (CECE, DORIS, UMA), but once I got out of the NW that issue went away. Oh, there were still plenty of proper names, but except for those three in the NW they were all gimmes.

Quibbles.
Many snakes have round pupils; in this area at least, relatively few are slitted.
If you are going “Young Frankenstein” for Teri GARR, why not for IGOR?
Although some PIE TINS are disposable, I don’t think of that as a defining feature. Would you use “disposable drinking vessel” for cup, just because some cups are disposable?
Senegal doesn’t surround The Gambia; it comes fairly close, but there are 50 miles of coastline on the Atlantic Ocean.
My Ramen packets say “no added MSG”, not just “no MSG”. And indeed, several ingredients do contain MSG (e.g. yeast extract, hydrolyzed soy protein). I am willing to believe that in some other country there might be packaged ramen that says "no MSG", but I'd feel better if I could find proof of that.

Anonymous 8:24 AM  

Yes, it was easy, but I liked it. I set a new personal Sunday best by a full minute. It clicked to the point where I’m not sure I could have filled it in any faster. However, I thought the theme answers were fun. Is it so bad that the fill wasn’t hard? Big thumbs up!

Anonymous 8:25 AM  

Except in Hawaii

Anonymous 8:43 AM  

@Rebecca I was 100% confident when I entered BRuH and was baffled…why have I never heard of the author uDAMS?!

Anonymous 8:43 AM  

This classic rock music guy loves the references to Rush, AC/DC and Queen....

Mr. Massey 9:01 AM  

COINS A WORD is a perfectly cromulent answer for the "embiggens" clue given the Simpsons gave us a word a not a phrase in this instance.

Puzzle was on the easier side, but fun and enjoyable word play on a quiet Sunday morning.

RooMonster 9:11 AM  

Hey All !
I thought the Theme was clever and funny! ARCHAEOLOGICAL DIG by far the funniest.

80 Blockers today, which is roughly two more than the standard of 78, however, with the four "Jaws", that's 24 Blockers right there, so you essentially get an open-er grid with the remaining 56 spread through the grid.

Good fill, seeing as how a bunch of Downs need to navigate through two Themers. The Long Downs are solid, too.

An enjoyable SunPuz. Finished *this* shy of 30 minutes. Seems a shame to finish a puz quick, when I know how long it takes to make one. Thanks for the punny puz, John!

Happy Sunday.

Eight F's (That's DOPE)
RooMonster
DarrinV

PH 9:13 AM  

FRENCHROAST: Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!

EZ PZ (close to a PB).

BURNAFTERREADING isn't the best Coen brothers movie, but it was *way* better than BLASTFROMTHEPAST with Brendan Fraser, which I'm ashamed to admit I've watched.

Fun Sunday with amusing themers and clues. Nice music references. Liked seeing CCR and PEART, legendary drummer. Thanks for the fun, John Kugelman!

Anonymous 9:14 AM  

“Brah” is also used excessively. One friend group does not represent the entire realm of slang.

EasyEd 9:20 AM  

Thought this a fun Sunday with SOME light-hearted chuckles. Don’t know how original the theme is, but thought well done. Like @Rex found the ACK not a good match for Ooops. However, felt the first themer made it clear what the rest would be like and made the challenge a humorous one. Should say this though, even if my take was different from @Rex, I still much appreciate the attention he pays to words and their meaning. Always something to be learned…

Anonymous 9:26 AM  

Damascus steel knives, culinarily speaking, are highly prized. Japanese makers like, Shun, use them to a great degree. Very expensive and extremely sharp, they are the choice for many professionals.

Teedmn 9:37 AM  

And here I thought that finally this was the Sunday puzzle that Rex would find wacky enough. I liked all of the theme answers and if one or two could have been clued better (FRENCH ROAST), I can live with that. Loved ARCHAEOLOGICAL DIG though the clue was WEIRD. (Speaking of WEIRD, I could only come up with thIRD (huh?) until crosses slapped sense into me.)

I thought I knew every Queen song there was. I've been listening to them since "Killer Queen" was played on the radio in 1974. I guess I quit paying attention after "The Game" album came out in 1980, when I was in college. ACK!

John Kugelman, I enjoyed this puzzle a lot, thanks!

Mack 9:44 AM  

You know, a while ago, when DUA Lipa first started appearing in puzzles, Rex made some point of "there's no excuse not to remember her name." I dutifully memorized it, despite never hearing a song.
Well, I recently heard one of her songs for the first time and now struggle to understand why I was supposed to know or care who she is.

No problem with COIN A WORD. It works fine.

David Grenier 9:47 AM  

Both are slang for “information”. Usually specifically “inside information”.

Nancy 9:47 AM  

Playful and diverting. Even when I'm not necessarily blown away by all the humor in a puzzle, I find it infectious when the constructor's own amusement is palpable. Can't you hear him chuckling as he writes that hilarious "Dear John" letter? As he comes up with that wacky FRENCH ROAST (in what may or may not be mangled French)? I did -- and I chuckled too. In those instances, I was more amused by the clue than the answer.

But the answer that made me chuckle was BLAST FROM THE PAST. It's both simpler and more subtle than the other themers -- and there was a delicious moment when I went back to re-read the clue... and then the joke belatedly landed.

I had some trouble in the SE, what with WIIS and DUA and RADIO GAGA. Nor did I know that a G SUIT prevents blackouts; I thought it was meant to keep you from bouncing off the ceiling. But mostly an easy and breezy puzzle I enjoyed.

Ken Freeland 9:54 AM  

Sure... "Dope" is an older slang term for.. "information." To get the dope about something is the same as getting the."skinny" about it, except that the latter is a more recent addition to the slang dictionary....

jbk 9:57 AM  

I am still upset that 16 across was not “neologizes.” I was really happy with myself for that one.

Anonymous 10:03 AM  

I always question where I’ve been all these years when someone tells me Fiveo is a slang word for police. In what country or planet is that slang for police. Seriously I would like to know.

Alice Pollard 10:26 AM  

BRAH??? BRoH or BRuH yes, but not BRAH. I Love DUA Lipa, so sultry on stage. CCR was a gimme . GAOL I always think of as Irish, ever visit the Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin? There's some Irish History right there. Easy puzzle, but I enjoyed it other than BRAH. And I didnt get the COINSAWORD/Simpson reference. At all.

Anonymous 10:28 AM  

Hawaii Fiveo was a police show back in the day

Gary Jugert 10:35 AM  

Grr. What an AWING effort. The northwest made for a rough start. Today was a traditional Sunday hunt and peck-apalooza amid a gunk-apalooza. Theme answers were cute to me, but wow they came at the expense of a slog.

Propers: 19
Places: 4
Products: 12
Partials: 21
Foreignisms: 3
--
Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 59 (43%) ACK!

Tee-Hee: DOPE puzzle BRUH.

Uniclues:

1 Prepare to commit a murder that'll be Dateline-worthy.
2 Original Coca-Cola.
3 Got into a car after a fastidious mechanic, or began a poem.
4 Cincinnati team hires a stripper.
5 Dominatrix warehouse.

1 FIST KNITTING NEEDLE
2 DOPE BLAST FROM THE PAST
3 FOOT PUT DOWN ON PAPER (~)
4 REDS RENT TABLE SUGAR
5 MANACLE SKIT SHOP (~)

My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Each of the women I met in my dating years. ERASER CHICK.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cyclist227 11:05 AM  

Easiest Sunday puzzle I have ever seen. It was like a big Monday.

Anonymous 11:19 AM  

Bruh. You are correct. It’s bruh.

Carola 11:20 AM  

I think I'm in the top tier of the ranks of fans for this one. Theme idea, clue-writing, and repurposing of common phrases as insults -all excellent. I thought BURN AFTER READING was genius, with PUT-DOWN ON PAPER a close second: I really liked how the verbs of the originals became nouns in the insults (at least that's how I read them). Also had fun writing in CLOG DANCING, DOOR BUSTER, MANACLE, PORTEND. Still smiling at the cleverness and wit that went into it.

@sharonak, thank you for explaining CCR.
@Anonymous 3:32, thank you for the huître lore.
@Lewis, thank you for reminding us of John Kugelman's previous winners. JUNK DRAWER!

oliar 11:26 AM  

Anonymous 10:03: Five-O has been in use as slang for the ploice in the U.S. for more than 40 years:

https://www.wordorigins.org/big-list-entries/five-oh-twelve

jae 11:33 AM  

“….mildly amusing…” Stupid autocorrect!

Anonymous 11:37 AM  

BRAH and bruh are equally common and used interchangeably. Broh, on the other hand I've never seen.

Regardless, use of any iteration of the word should be mocked.

Anonymous 11:49 AM  

Record Sunday by a long shot. I know the puzzle has been trending way easier than it used to in general, but this was annoyingly easy

Beezer 11:55 AM  

I found this an enjoyable Sunday romp and appreciated the wit of the themers. My timer indicates I did the whole thing in 26 minutes and I figure it’s because I wasn’t eating breakfast or sipping coffee during the solve. I don’t mind a somewhat easy Sunday if it has some clever clues, and I don’t feel like COINEDAWORD equates to “eat a sandwich” given the clueing. Yeah, the BRAH/BRuH kealoa probably added a nanosecond.

@kitshef, agree with your take on The Gambia/Senegal. I mean, I think of “surrounded” as Lesotho/South Africa or San Marino/Italy.
I forgive the clue due to fair crossing, though. Hah…maybe SENEGAL claims the ocean or air space?

Anonymous 12:17 PM  

We see what you did there…..we love it.

Trina 12:19 PM  

Enjoyable! A little below average time for me.

My biggest quibble is that ACK in no way equals OOPS. A reference to the Kathy comic strip would have been a nice clue.

Joe from Lethbridge 12:19 PM  

Like many above, I found this interesting, amusing and fun. It capped off a week of fairly easy but nonetheless stimulating puzzles.

jb129 12:44 PM  

I was whooshing through this & loving it until I got stuck on PEART, LOCHTE & for some crazy reason I had HEIRS for WEIRD ("like the three sisters of Macbeth"). Thought I was on my way to a PB for a Sunday but no matter because I really, really enjoyed this & thank you, John. For me, the most fun Sunday in a long time :)

johnk 12:49 PM  

I raise my hand as another who liked this puzzle much more than Rex did.

I disliked AWING, but find that it is a word. Not that I have ever seen it used, nor would I ever use it. I penned it in on A WING and a prayer.

Anonymous 12:54 PM  

It’s brah in Jamaica, mon!

Anonymous 1:04 PM  

“Barn Burner” and “Airport Dude”. SMH

Kate Esq 1:14 PM  

This was extremely easy for me - only 2 seconds above my record Sunday time - but I was thinking as I filled it out that the theme was a bit thin. I mean, it’s fine, but not at all clever, and the clues weren’t sparkling enough. That said, I did like the answers Archaeological Dig, Burn After Reading, Senegal, Manacle, Radio Gaga and Bionic Arm as sort of nice, lively words, and there wasn’t a lot of tedious crosswordese fill in this one. So relatively clean as a puzzle, just not very interesting.

Bob Mills 1:21 PM  

Had to cheat in the NE, but otherwise found the puzzle fairly easy. Never heard of BRAH or PEART, both of which looked wrong. Never heard of FIVEO to suggest policemen, either.

I liked the theme, which was a help in solving it, unlike many themes these days.

Rick K 1:42 PM  

Cute theme, executed well. Easily the best Sunday of 2024 (IMO)!

Masked and Anonymous 1:59 PM  

har. 4 Jaws of Themelessness, for 3 days in a row. And this SunPuz ain't even themeless. Definite pattern formin, there … it's even outlastin ASSHAT.

Anyhoo, nice SunPuztheme. Had some humor, and solvin one themer didn't give away too much, as far as solvin the other themers.
fave themer: ARCHAEOLOGICALDIGdog.

another fave thing: PERSONIFY.

staff weeject pick: CCR. Always likin Creedence. Much better than RAS al whatever.

Thanx for the fun, Mr. Kugelman dude. It needled M&A's noodle, just right.

Masked & Anonym007Us


**gruntz**

Newport Carl 3:19 PM  

I liked it a lot because it was my personal fastest bestesst
Thank Mr. kugelman

Scott in Chicago 3:57 PM  

@anonymous 10:03 The tv show Hawaii Five-O”, several hundred rap songs …

SFR 4:16 PM  

@jae Your typo was amusing. I was wondering if it was intentional ...

Anonymous 5:13 PM  

Also used frequently by the corner kids in The Wire.

Anonymous 5:30 PM  

“Brah” is in such wide use in one suburb of New Orleans that “Kenner brah” has been a term with substantial local currency going back to the early 90’s.

ASHKITTY 5:50 PM  

FINALLY a real crossword! I confess i'm in my 80's and grew up on NYT sunday xword! I really hate the gimmicky oned@

Colin 6:32 PM  

"Breezy" describes this puzzle perfectly. The theme was fine, but not quite a "gimme."
Sorry for the late entry... Somehow, I simply forgot to post this morning (had done the puzzle yesterday evening with my wife).

Hope everyone is having a lovely long Memorial Day weekend!

Anonymous 6:55 PM  

I’m shocked you’ve never heard of the tv show Hawaii 5-0! It’s generation-spanning!

Anonymous 6:57 PM  

Huh interesting! Thanks for elucidating me! Never heard of “dope” as slang for info before. I had Deet (as in “give me the deets”) there for a long time. Appreciate the info!

Les S. More 7:25 PM  

Well, I didn't hate it. I didn't even really dislike it. Does that mean I, like a lot of others here, liked it? I guess so. That surprises me because about 2 or 3 years ago I gave up doing the Sunday puzzles because I really hated them. Just too much acreage to plow and silly themes, too. But that was when I was working on paper and had to search down clues and find their spots by reading tiny numbers in the tiny squares in an obese grid. But a couple of months ago my printer decided it would no longer print any NYT puzzles and I was forced to learn how to use the app. It's been a bit of a slog because I'm a terrible typist, but I'm improving.

So today, after finishing a Saturday from the archives, I got all dressed to go out and trim some trees and chip the branches and got swamped by rain. So I decided to step back under some cover and try a Sunday again. Surprise, surprise! It was a pretty good experience, partly because it was a pretty good puzzle and partly because working in the app makes it easier to locate things.

So thanks Mr. Kugelman and the NYTXW app for making this crappy, rainy day more pleasant. I'll definitely try this again.

To my surprise, I actually liked the themers, especially ARCHAEOLOGICALDIG and FRENCHROAST. Nice work.

dgd 7:26 PM  

Anonymous reaction to Rebecca
Typical reaction, saying it can only be x not y. It’s a big country, and we have a lot of ways of speaking. Slang especially is very variable!
I wrote it BRuH because that’s what I saw in the Times puzzle before, and I have no clue otherwise. But I agree with Anonymous 9:14

dgd 7:57 PM  

Don’t know if anyone is still reading, but I just did this puzzle. Liked it like most, unlike Rex.
Learned the Hindu connection of Uma, knew about the Buddhist connection from reading about UMA Thurman. Nice change of clue for crosswordese!
Some of Rex’s comments have “puzzled” me lately.
His criticism of several theme clues and answers makes no sense to me. I thought KNITTING NEEDLE was very good.
Maybe because he put down oMnI first and got annoyed at the puzzle. ( I made the same mistake BTW) but ambivalent is perfect because AMBI disappears into the whole word. I think Rex missed that.
Finally didn’t remember seeing junk drawer that Lewis mentioned. Hysterical!

Anonymous 10:55 PM  

Ditto!!

Burma Shave 12:17 PM  

PERSONIFY A SCOURGE

NOW, DORIS DISLIKED THEPAST,
she NEVER went AFTER men good,
she'll DEMEAN you IN A BLAST,
IN AWORD, IT's A KNOCKONWOOD.

--- DR. ANN ADAMS

rondo 12:39 PM  

Not slapping my knees, but to find that much fun in a NYT Xword is rare. CCR a gimme as was Neil PEART. DRNO was the first Bond film, but not the first Bond novel.
Wordle par.

spacecraft 1:59 PM  

Liked it better than OFNP. All different words for insult, incorporated into familiar phrases. What more do you want?

BRAH makes me think of Stephen King's second Dark Tower book, "The Drawing of the Three." In it, a character says "Mahfah" to mean "mother..."etc. Okay by me.

Long downs: not too exciting, but mostly legal. Finally a no-slog Sunday. Birdie.

Wordle par.

Anonymous 4:37 PM  

@sharonak 1:18 AM :
I know you won't see is but they were called CCR all the time! On MTV, on the radio, on other TV shows that played music. Very very often, they were called CCR!
As for the pie tins, they are talking about the disposable ones you buy in a stack at the grocery store. You used them for family or communal get-togethers, and you don't have to worry about getting the pan back.

Anonymous 5:41 PM  

Two comments today:
I'm surprised Rex was completely unfamiliar with Damascus steel since it used in chef knives and can be found in stores that sell higher end cutlery. Stores such as Sur La Table carry it. And this is coming from someone that the hardest thing they've ever cooked is a grilled cheese sandwich.

When I see the word ack, Cathy does come to mind, but hers usually have more "a" s. The first thing I thought of was Bill the Cat, the original cartoon acker. Oops still isn't the first thing that comes to mind, unless he is saying: Oops, I coughed up a fur ball!

Anonymous 4:19 PM  

I understand that the Simpsons has added a phrase to the dictionary as well as the word embiggens. Didna know this.

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP