Mid-Long Island community / SUN 6-12-16 / Hunger Games star in tabloids / Noted sexologist in her infancy / Controversial TV personality's magical sidekick / Resolve dispute in modern way / Frequent James Franco collaborator / Rock whose name sounds good? / 1961 Michelangelo Antonioni drama
Sunday, June 12, 2016
Constructor: Finn Vigeland
Relative difficulty: Easy
- DR. PEPPER SPRAY (23A: Result of shaking a soda too hard before opening?)
- BABY DR. RUTH (34A: Noted sexologist, in her infancy?)
- DR. WHO'S YOUR DADDY (48A: "The paternity results are in ... it's the protagonist of a long-running BBC sci-fi show!"?
- DR. J. CREW (64A: 1970s-'80s Sixers star and friends?)
- THE WIZARD OF DR. OZ (85A: Controversial TV personality's magical sidekick?) (I love that he's clued as "controversial," though even that is euphemistic)
- DO DR. NO HARM (98A: Hurt a Bond villain?) (I thought the phrase was "*First* do no harm...")
["I went to the PSYCHIC and the PSYCHIC said...."]
Word of the Day: SYOSSET (119A: Mid-Long Island community) —
Syosset // is a hamlet and census-designated place (CDP) in Nassau County, New York, United States, in the northeastern section of the Town of Oyster Bay, near the North Shore of Long Island. The population was 18,829 at the 2010 census. It is served by the Syosset railroad station, the Syosset Post Office, the Syosset Central School District, the Syosset Public Library, the Syosset Fire Department, and the Jericho Water District. // Syosset is located approximately 32 miles (51 km) east of Midtown Manhattan. Service is accessible to New York City by the LIRR and the Long Island Expressway by car. (wikipedia)
• • •
Hey, it's my friend Finn. I just saw him at the Indie 500 crossword tournament last week. He looks like this (or at least he did last week):
[Here I am reading a short story to my dogs. The story is "Slatland" by Rebecca Lee. They seemed to enjoy it. I know I did.]
- 66D: "The Hunger Games" star, in tabloids (J-LAW) — for Jennifer Lawrence. Just saw this answer (for the first time, I think) this past week in one of Caleb Madison's Buzzfeed crosswords.
- 56D: Frequent James Franco collaborator (SETH ROGEN) — pretty easy, though I did make sure to leave that final vowel blank until the cross confirmed it (never sure if it's "A" or "E").
- 48D: "You sure got me pegged!" ("DO I!") — I had "MOI?" and I swear it felt right. But then I was like "Who ... is MR. WHO?"
- 63D: With 65-Down, technological escalations (ARMS / RACES) — the "technological" part really threw me. I was thinking of tech companies engaged in some kind of tech ... battle. With competing products and what not. But I guess nuclear bombs and other weapons are "technological" too.
- 119A: Mid-Long Island community (SYOSSET) — a random conglomeration of letters, as far as I was concerned. This is where I finished the puzzle, and I just shrugged as I entered all of the letters from crosses. I kept expecting a recognizable place name to come into view. That did not happen.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]