Athena's counterpart / WED 6-11-14 / Wildcatter's investment / English pop singer Goulding / Tlaloc, to the Aztecs / Fortune 100 company based in Seattle
Wednesday, June 11, 2014
Constructor: Ian Livengood
Relative difficulty: Who knows really? It's such an individual thing.
THEME — Flag Day: Theme answers are descriptions of various countries' flags. Circled letters spell out FLAG DAY ... kind of in the shape of a flag? I guess?
- 18A: MAPLE LEAF [Canada]
- 31A: STARS AND STRIPES [U.S.A.]
- 41A: HAMMER AND SICKLE [U.S.S.R.]
- 59A: RISING SUN [Japan]
- 10A: Pen, e.g. (SWAN) — Very tricky clue.
- 23A: "For sure, dude!" ("YEAH, MAN!") — This one seems to be trying a little too hard.
- 39A: Big foot spec (EEE) — And this is just plain ugly. I guess sometimes it can't be helped.
- 51A: One sharing a bunk bed, maybe (SIS) — PuzzleSister and I shared a bunk bed for many years. Of course, being the oldest, I got the top bunk, which seems awesome until you're just a little kid and you fall out of the top bunk on your head and your mom comes home to find the front door open and barf all over the house because you got a concussion and your dad ran you out to the emergency room. Not that that ever happened to me or anything.
- 52A: Athena's counterpart (MINERVA) — PuzzleDaughter was studying for a quiz on Greek and Roman gods the other day. PuzzleHusband and I were *completely* *mortified* at how few of them we knew. Just really really embarrassing. Definitely something to try to learn. Not necessarily for puzzles (for that I need to practice European rivers, Jewish months and the Greek alphabet), but just for life in general.
- 1D: "You're dethpicable" toon (DAFFY) — Does Sylvester also have a lisp? He was the only one I could think of. I think he talks funny in a different way though, right? Like baby talk or something?
- 2D: English pop singer Goulding (ELLIE) — Whatever you say.
- 5D: '60s atty. gen. whose brother served as president (RFK) — Had an opportunity to visit RFK Stadium last month for the first time in many moons. Wow is that a crappy stadium. I think D.C. United are getting ready to build a new stadium near Nationals Park. I know there are people against the idea of tearing down RFK, but seriously, it's a mess.
- 7D: All-natural (REAL) — Tried PURE here.
- 9D: C. S. Lewis's birthplace (BELFAST) — Wait, he's not American either? (Just kidding, I knew that.)
- 10D: Memorial Day weekend event (SALE) — This answer made me sad. As much as I rant about the seemingly non-stop "forced patriotism" at so many sporting events these days, I do think Memorial Day is (and should be) serious and respectful. Now my first two thoughts when I saw this clue were PARADE and BARBECUE, both of which I guess might seem frivolous to some, but I think it's possible to infuse both of those activities with an honest-to-God sense of "memorial." A SALE though? Not so much.
- 35D: Place to play cards (POKER ROOM) — See also, "Place to lose money." (I love playing poker, but I'm really really bad at it.)
- 43D: Tlaloc, to the Aztecs (RAIN GOD) — News to me and awesome entry!