Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Relative difficulty: Medium
THEME: The Five W's - Who, What, Where, When, Why appear in theme successive theme answers
No real problems today, though it took me somewhat longer than normal (with an extra 90 seconds tacked on to my "official" time at the NYT site because my version of Firefox likes to seize up now and then, and then when I try to reload the puzzle, and am successful, I find that the timer has been running the whole time ... nice). WHAT MATTERS felt like a stretch as a self-standing phrase, and WHO CAN IT BE really wants a NOW tacked on to the end, but other than that, the theme felt lively and fresh.
- 17A: Response to a knock (who can it be?)
- 26A: The important thing (what matters)
- 38A: Doctor's query (where does it hurt?)
- 44A: "Never!" ("When pigs fly!") - all "Simpsons" fans will have the same image here... as-yet-unbarbecued pig, expelled from hole in dam, flying through sky over nuclear power plant...
- 59A: Discounter's pitch (why pay more?)
I got nothing to say about this puzzle today. I like that REESE (66A: Teammate of Snider and Hodges) was clued via baseball and not Witherspoon, for once. And I will just point out that OTB (8D: Pony players' locale, in brief) is a nice abbrev. to learn, if you don't already know it. Off Track Betting. Ditto IPOS (54D: N.Y.S.E. debuts) - Initial Public Offerings. OONA (31A: A Chaplin) took some time out of her retirement to let us know she's still alive. And I can't get "Pinball Wizard" out of my head this morning (48D: Rock opera with the song "Pinball Wizard" - TOMMY).
That is all.
Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld