Mae (government lender) / MON 11-9-15 / Campus in Troy, N.Y. / Band aide / Disgorges / Chaney of chillers
Monday, November 9, 2015
SURPRISE ANNABEL MONDAY!!!! Sorry I was sick last week (don't worry, it wasn't that FOUL, I'm fine!) but I'm back.
Constructor: Pawel Fludzinski
Relative difficulty: Medium
THEME: QTs — Theme answers were two words, one starting with Q and the other starting with T.
- QUALITY TIME (18A: Period of undivided attention, as with a spouse or child)
- QUANTUM THEORY (32A: Noted Max Planck contribution to physics)
- QUICK THINKING (39A: Skill useful for handling an emergency)
- QUARTER TONE (57A: 1/24 of an answer)
- CUTIES (61A: Babies (aww...) ...or an aural hint to 18-, 32-, 39-, and 57-Across
Word of the Day: BOIS (56D: ____ de Boulogne (Parisian park) ) —
The Bois de Boulogne (French pronunciation: [bwa.d(ə).bu.lɔɲ]) is a large public park located along the western edge of the 16th arrondissement of Paris, near the suburb of Boulogne-Billancourt andNeuilly-sur-Seine It was created between 1852 and 1858 during the reign of the Emperor Louis Napoleon.It is the second-largest park in Paris, slightly smaller than the Bois de Vincennes on the eastern side of the city. It covers an area of 845 hectares (2090 acres) which is about two and a half times the area of Central Park in New York and slightly less (88%) than that of Richmond Park in London.
The theme was, well, cute! It took me a couple clues to pick up on, which was nice. I think I'm not alone in first seeing QUARTER NOTE where I should have seen QUARTER TONE, which is a bummer because I've always thought about myself as knowing at least some things about music, as well as making me CONFUSED about the rest of the theme ("Maybe the T just has to be a part of the second word!"). I like looking back on the puzzle and seeing CUE and IQS. I think
Anyway, speaking of cuties, remember that dog my mom got to replace me? Well................
...........honestly can you blame her?
- GIANT SQUID (3D: Creature that attacked the Nautilus in "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea") — Can we just pause to talk about how cool giant squid are?!? Their eyes are the size of a human head, they grow up to 43 feet long, and in Googling them I just found out two years ago scientists actually captured video of a live one and basically I'm losing it right now here's the video!!!
- EBENEZER (55A: Mr. Scrooge) — Did anyone else used to get absolutely terrified by A Christmas Carol? When I was little, every time it came on TV I would sort of pretend to be brave and enjoy the film when in actuality I was trembling because I knew the Ghost of Christmas Future could show up at any moment. He was so creepy! He didn't even have a face! What was he doing hanging out with the nice ghosts like the sweet young lady and the guy with the beard? You know what, I bet he didn't hang out with them. I bet he just sat off by himself somewhere, staring off into the distance and listening to sludge metal. What a jerk.
- FRAU (21D: Mrs. in Munich) — No words, just:
- NASA (10A: Curiosity rover launcher) — Alright I'm ending this article now after seeing this clue because I can feel a geeky pagelong tirade about how much I loved The Martian coming on. (Maybe I'll leave one in the comments later? It's just a really good movie please watch it)
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]