Mario with the 1951 #1 hit "Be My Love" / MON 10-5-15 / Part of the eye / Mounts for cowboys / Lightest coins ever minted in the U.S., used in the 19th century / Greeting in Rio
Monday, October 5, 2015
It's an Annabel Monday!!! Hooray!!!
Constructor: Mike Buckley
Relative difficulty: Easy
THEME: CHANGE IS GOOD — Theme answers included coins.
- 7D: Lightest coins ever minted by the U.S., used in the late 19th century (THREE-CENT PIECES)
- 20A: Showtime series named after an old fiction genre (PENNY DREADFUL)
- 38A: Charging for every little extra (NICKEL AND DIMING)
- 52A: Mounts for cowboys (QUARTER HORSES)
Word of the Day: ARLO (18D: Guthrie of Rising Sun Records) —
Arlo Davy Guthrie (born July 10, 1947) is an American folk singer. Like his father, Woody Guthrie, Arlo is known for singing songs of protest against social injustice. Guthrie's best-known work is "Alice's Restaurant Massacree", a satirical talking blues song about 18 minutes in length. His song "Massachusetts" was named the official folk song of the state in which he has lived most of his adult life.Hi!!! I'm so excited to be back, especially since it's only been two days since my eighteenth birthday!!! I celebrated by getting tea at the campus cafe with my friends. We go very wild and crazy here at Wellesley. However, the anniversary of my birth isn't the only anniversary I'm celebrating...it's also been exactly a year and ONE day since I officially started blogging for Rex!!!!!!!!!!
• • •
• • •
This was probably the easiest puzzle I've done so far. I've never gotten so many Acrosses (does...does Across have a plural that actually works?) on my first try! So, perfect for a Monday, IMO. NESS/NEST, RHEA/AMENRA, and ADEN/OPEN were nice little touches.
Theme was a Monday thing, not a lot more to say for it except that I loved THREECENTPIECE. This was the first puzzle that I've blogged with a Down clue in the theme.
- TECHNIQUES (35D: Ways to do things) — TECHNIQUE? TECHNIQUE?!??!?! TECHNIQUE TECHNIQUE TECHNIQUE TECHNIQUE!!!
- HOWTO (14A: Do-it-yourselfer's book genre) — Speaking of which, I have been learning HOWTO play rugby! Yep. I went to a random open rugby practice, loved it, and joined the team totally on a whim. It's so much fun, I get to tackle and maul people!!! No, seriously, "mauling" is an actual rugby thing. I love my sport. <3
- NESS (65A: Loch ____ Monster) — also the name of an "Earthbound" character. Since ATARI was also in the puzzle (even though Earthbound is Nintendo), have some awesome music!
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]