Lenin's successor / MON 10-26-15 / Kid long-running 1950s western / Home with entrance flap / Furry creature from Endor / Dries up and shrinks with age
Monday, October 26, 2015
Constructor: Bruce Haight
Relative difficulty: Easy (2:42, and this thing is 16-wide...)
THEME: SAN FRANCISCO (67A: So-called "Paris of the West") — stuff in or associated with S.F.
- CITY BY THE BAY (18A: Nickname of 67-Across)
- ALCATRAZ (26A: Island near 67-Across)
- GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE (42A: 67-Across landmark)
- CABLE CAR (52A: Conveyance in 67-Across)
Kean University // is a coeducational, public university located in Union and Hillside, New Jersey, United States. Kean University serves its students in the liberal arts, the sciences, and the professions and is best known for its programs in the humanities and social sciences and in education, graduating the most teachers in the state of New Jersey annually. Kean is also noted for the physical therapy program which it holds in conjunction with the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. (wikipedia)
• • •
- 4D: Excite (KEY UP) — just pointing out the UP dupe at ASK UP. I think dupes are more obvious and irksome when they show up in the same phrase position in their answers.
- 44D: "Toughen up!" ("BE A MAN!") — this clue really should have some additional bit, like "... to a bullying sexist asshole."
- 23A: On its way (SENT) — my MacBook Air does this weird thing sometimes where, when I disconnect from speakers ... it seems to have stored up a bunch of alert sounds, and then unleashes them all at once, in quick succession. Mostly SENT e-mail whooshes. It's disconcerting.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Facebook]