Green dwarf / SUN 6-28-15 / Actress Birch of "American Beauty" / Admiral Zumwalt / The City of a Thousand Minarets / Physics Nobelist Martin, discoverer of the tauon / Mountain, in Hawaiian
Sunday, June 28, 2015
Constructor: Jeremy Newton
Relative difficulty: Big
Hi, everyone! PuzzleGirl with you for your Sunday puzzle. Not sure how I always seem to get stuck with Sundays when I fill in. I find Sunday puzzles really ... big. Nothing wrong with that, I guess. It's just my preference to have my puzzles a little smaller. I guess what I'm saying is size does matter, people. Anyway.
- WHAT HAPPENS [IN] VEGAS (30A/13D: Shorthand pact for a wild trip)
- YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND [IN] ME (52A/49D: 1995 Oscar-nominated Pixar theme song)
- COULD YOU PUT THAT [IN] WRITING (80A/58D: Request for an official document)
- DOUBLED OVER [IN] PAIN (101A/90D: Reacting to a gut punch, perhaps)
- JUST [IN] CASE (3D/18A: "To be on the safe side...")
- KEEPING [IN] MIND (16D/21A: Remembering)
- CALLING [IN] SICK (67D/104A: Talking with a fake rasp, perhaps)
- CAME [IN] LAST (109D/125A: Got the booby prize)
"NAG NAG NAG!" (23A: "Geez, get off my back already!"), TOWN DRUNK (114A: Stock character like Mayberry's Otis), and OPIUM DEN (36D: Smoke-filled establishment) are all fantastic entries. And I loved the clues on ST. PETER (89A: Guard at a gated community?) and TATTOO (70D: Something you can't get off your chest?). Other than that, well, I thought it was just a big old Sunday-sized puzzle that was pretty fun to slog my way through. Let me know what do you think! And with any luck, Rex will be back tomorrow.
[Follow Rex Parker on Facebook and Twitter]
[Follow PuzzleGirl on Twitter]