Old Renault / WED 10-2-13 / 1940 Disney film / Grammy-winning blues guitarist Jonny / 1990s compacts / Classic shooter / Lerner/Loewe musical set in Paris / Digs in old warehouse maybe
Wednesday, October 2, 2013
Constructor: Paula Gamache
Relative difficulty: Medium-Challenging
- 17A: What Ali Baba found on the treasure in the cave? (PRINTS OF THIEVES)
- 27A: Sign of a failed practice? (LOSING PATIENTS)
- 43A: Puzzles as gifts? (PRESENTS OF MIND)
- 58A: Be startled by singing monks? (JUMP AT THE CHANTS)
Word of the Day: PAH (9D: Sound of disgust) —
Used to express disgust or irritation. (answers.com)
• • •JUMP AT THE CHANTS is pretty good). Played very slow for me, for reasons I don't really understand. I think PAH had something to do with it. Had BAH and UGH in there at various points. Also had serious trouble with PLUGS (29D: Toupee alternative) because neither "-INT trap" nor Jonny LAN- did anything for me (41A: Grammy-winning blues guitarist Jonny). P-U-S was inscrutable. I don't think a lot about hair replacement, as I have no patience for that crap—I just shaved my head. Done and done. [Digs in an old warehouse] is an interesting clue for LOFT. Briefly thought "Digs" was a verb. [Coloratura's practice] also misleading, or at least confusing, as the four-letterness there suggests ARIA. Never would've considered RUNS. Got that one all from crosses.
There's not really anything to say about this puzzle. And baseball is on. So I'm gonna go.
Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld