Old F.D.A. guideline / THU 10-18-12 / Parisian pastry / Ulyanov Vladimir Lenin's father / PBS's Science Kid / Novelist Mary Russell
Thursday, October 18, 2012
Constructor: SAMUEL A. DONALDSON
Relative difficulty: 1977 HIT FOR THE COMMODORES
THEME: A IN THE B — a and b are switched to create zany phrases that will have you saying "world in the what?!"
Word of the Day: JANA (7D: Actress/country singer Kramer) —
Jana Rae Kramer (born December 2, 1983) is an American actress and country music singer. She is best known for her role as Alex Dupre on the television series, One Tree Hill. Kramer began a country music career in 2010 with the single "Why Ya Wanna", from her self-titled debut album for Elektra Records. (wikipedia)
me again. filling in for sexy rexy, who apparently had some kind of canal... in his mouth? not entirely clear on which one, but it sounds pretty bad. get well soon, rex.
• • •
• • •
here we have a fairly ordinary theme elevated to brilliance by snappy cluing and wide-open corners. look at those @*&#ing corners!!! great fill, too, if you're willing to overlook a few USRDAs and SSTs and ETHs and so forth.
- SADDLE IN THE BACK (17A: Bit of riding gear on a truck's flatbed?)
- HOLE IN THE ACE (28A: Evidence of some marksmanship?)
- DARK IN THE SHOT (37A: Lighting director's woe?)
- HAY IN THE ROLL (45A: Baking hazard at a manger?)
- GRASS IN THE SNAKE (59A: Diagnosis for a stoned viper?)
Bullets (aka i'm too lazy to write more, so i'm just going to enable your youtube habit):
- 7A: JOE PESCI (Oscar winner who appeared in a Snickers ad) —
- 32A: ENIAC ("Giant Brain" that debuted in 1946) — also, backwards, actor Michael
- 22D: PONDS (Skin care brand) —
- 35D: BOTOX (Crow's-feet treatment) —
- 49D: EDNA ("J. ___," 2011 film) — if memory serves.
- 51D: CRABS (Beefs) — there's gotta be a joke here but... i got nothin'. wish you were here,
erik agard, pun-isher of CrossWorld