First woman to sit in British House of Commons / MON 8-20-12 / Help for newbies / Parisian girlfriends / Caustic alkalis
Monday, August 20, 2012
Constructor: Robert Cirillo
Relative difficulty: Medium-Challenging
THEME: LUCK (52D: Word that can follow the starts of 20-, 26-, 43- and 52-Across)
- BEGINNER'S GUIDE (20A: Help for newbies)
- DUMB QUESTION (26A: There's no such thing as this, according to a saying)
- TOUGH AS NAILS (43A: Really strong)
- LADY NANCY ASTOR (52A: First woman to sit in the British House of Commons)
Word of the Day: LADY NANCY ASTOR —
Nancy Witcher Astor, Viscountess Astor, CH, (19 May 1879 – 2 May 1964) was the first woman to sit as a Conservative Member of Parliament (MP) in the British House of Commons.[Note 1] She was the wife of Waldorf Astor, 2nd Viscount Astor. (wikipedia)
• • •
I say all of the following in the context of having finished the puzzle in roughly 3 and a half minutes.
Of all the ladies in the world, dear lord. No idea who LADY NANCY ASTOR is, so that alone made this tougher than usual. DUMB QUESTION is a good answer, but not Monday-easy to get to today. But I could've just been in some kind of Pimm's & Cider stupor because I couldn't see BEGINNER'S GUIDE until I had about 12/14 of it filled in. So it was on the tough side for a Monday, theme-wise. Otherwise, fairly normal I guess. Several long Downs, none of them interesting. Ordinary fill all around. Adequate, but a bit subpar as "Word That Can Follow" puzzles go.
- 5D: Former German chancellor Konrad (ADENAUER) — "der ALTE" to crossword aficionados everywhere.
- 57A: Home of Lima and Toledo (OHIO) — I was the sucker whose first thought was "they're in totally different countries!"
- 60A: The Who's "___ Get Fooled Again" ("WON'T") — embarrassingly, I waffled between WON'T and DON'T for a while. I knew the lyric was WON'T, but ... bah. I have no excuse.
- 63A: Caustic alkalis (LYES) — had -YES and ... and ... wanted DYES, I think. OK, now I'm starting to think it was damn miracle I finished this as fast as I did. Clearly at least one cylinder was not firing. Ah well. Tomorrow is another day and all of that.
Reminder: still reviewing the grids / theme ideas of aspiring crossword constructors thru Aug. 25. No charge. Got a nice little team of constructors helping me out. We've fielded submissions from somewhere between 15-20 constructors so far. They seem pleased with the feedback. Submissions to rexparker at mac dot com.
OK, bye for now.