Old vaudevillian catcall / SAT 7-21-12 / Musical work "Willow, Tit-Willow" / Gal asked to "lay down" Clapton song / Pink Nintendo title character
Saturday, July 21, 2012
Constructor: Joe DiPietro
Relative difficulty: Extra Medium
Word of the Day: LOLA FALANA (26D: Singer/dancer/actress once called the "Queen of Las Vegas") —
Loletha Elaine "Lola" Falana (born September 11, 1942 in Camden, New Jersey) is an American singer, dancer, and actress. (wikipedia) Wait, Wikipedia, you're useless. I'll just let her explain:
• • •Smooth Saturday. And that was with my attention divided between the puzzle and this riveting VH1 countdown of what appear to be... the 100 rap videos with the most nudity of all time. Debauchery aside... not a whole lot of scrabbliness to admire, but it's a decently wide-open grid, and most importantly, a fun solve. I'm feeling decidedly unchatty, so this is gonna be more like a picture book than a... you know, one of those books with words in them. What's the book version of a documentary? Whatever it is, I'm not writing one. Anyway, let's get right into it:
- 1A: Powerful voting bloc (HISPANICS) — more powerful even than their counterparts, the INAPANICs (7D: Opposite of collected).
- 16A: Odious one (CREEP) — If only there were some famous song I could relate to this word. You'll have to settle for this:
- 18A: Woman's name meaning "beautiful" (BELLA) — Surprised they didn't go for the obvious reference:
- 32A: Vendor's condition (SOLD A SIS) — At least, that's how I read it.
- 39A: Like pueblos (OCHRE) — I've pretty much given up on understanding any clue for this word. It's probably a huge gap in my education and I should probably look it up, but... ehh.
- 64A: Kevin Bacon film of 2000 (MY DOG) —
- 12D: "I want to know..." (TELL ME THIS) —
- 27D: Odious ones (SLIMEBALLS)— I had a camp counselor (this wasn't chess camp, because I'm totally not a nerd) who used to call people slimeballs. Pretty sure he was also a pirate. Sup, Mr. Richmond.
- 38D: Hero player (MALE LEAD) — If you're a female lead, you play a heroin.
- 43D: It may be said con flores (YO TEAM-O) — At least, that's how I read it.
The following is a shameless plug:
And some self-promotion to top it off: free crosswords here. If free crosswords make you angry, feel free to let me know about it in the comments below. Thanks for having me, again.