Florida city on Gulf / MON 10-10-11 / Midwest city whose name is poker variety / Stogie holder / Footwear may be worn with PJs
Monday, October 10, 2011
Constructor: Ian Livengood
Relative difficulty: Medium
THEME: 10CC — ten two-word phrases, where both words in each phrase start with "C"
Word of the Day: "RIGOLETTO" (3D: Verdi opera) —
Rigoletto is an opera in three acts by Giuseppe Verdi. The Italian libretto was written by Francesco Maria Piave based on the play Le roi s'amuse by Victor Hugo. It was first performed at La Fenice in Venice on March 11, 1851. It is considered by many to be the first of the operatic masterpieces of Verdi's middle-to-late career. (wikipedia)
• • •Not much to say here, except 10 is a hell of a lot of theme answers.
- 17A: Stogie holder (CIGAR CASE)
- 21A: Florida city on the Gulf (CAPE CORAL) — not familiar...
- 27A: What a TV host often reads from (CUE CARD)
- 33A: Place to hang a jacket (COAT CLOSET)
- 43A: Sign of alien life, some say (CROP CIRCLE)
- 49A: Army do (CREW CUT)
- 59A: Fessed up (CAME CLEAN) — jumped the gun here and wrote in COME CLEAN, inferring answer from crosses and figuring surely a theme answer would be in present tense...
- 66A: The French Open is the only Grand Slam tournament played on this (CLAY COURT) — ugh, this clue. Just write [French Open surface]. Done and done.
- 8D: Bit of razzing (CAT CALL)
- 44D: Auto maintenance (CAR CARE)
Have a nice day.
Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld