Chief Theban deity / TUE 7-5-11 / Lead pumper in old slang / Lanai ladies / Winemaking province of Italy / Former Polish capital
Tuesday, July 5, 2011
Constructors: Andrea Carla Michaels & Johanna Fenimore
Relative difficulty: Medium-Challenging
THEME: OH SAY ... (14A: Anthem's opener) — "O" is added to familiar (-ish) phrases, creating wacky phrases, clued "?"-style
Word of the Day: WAHINES (10D: Lanai ladies) —
- Hawaii. A Polynesian woman.
- Sports. A woman surfer.
[Hawaiian, from Proto-Polynesian *fafine.] (answers.com)
- 17A: Warning about a chubby guy in some skimpy swimwear? (FULL SPEEDO AHEAD)
- 26A: No-good, awful frozen waffle? (DIRTY ROTTEN EGGO)
- 45A: Icy winter greeting? (SNOWBALL IN HELLO)
- 59A: Result of cleaning up some building toys? (NO LEGO TO STAND ON)
See you tomorrow,
Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld