Marshy habitat / MON 6-20-11 / 7's retail partner / Employee-abetted crime / Show for early to bed crowd / Zionist's homeland
Monday, June 20, 2011
Constructor: Lynn Lempel
Relative difficulty: Medium-Challenging
THEME: adjective-bodyparted — hyphenated adjectives where the second part is in the form [body part + -ED]
Word of the Day: Dorothy HAMILL (47D: Champion figure skater Dorothy) —
Dorothy Stuart Hamill (born July 26, 1956) is an American figure skater. She is the 1976 Olympic champion in Ladies' Singles and 1976 World Champion. // In 1993, the Associated Press released results of a national sports study. Hamill was statistically tied for first place with fellow Olympian, Mary Lou Retton as the most popular athlete in America ranking far ahead of other major sports stars such as Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Troy Aikman, Dan Marino, Wayne Gretzky, Joe Montana, Nolan Ryan and 800 other athletes. [!?] (wikipedia)
I liked the WONK (22A: Policy expert) in the WETLAND (22D: Marshy habitat).
- 17A: Easily offended (THIN-SKINNED)
- 28A: Inclined to mince words (MEALY-MOUTHED)
- 46A: Lacking courage (FAINT-HEARTED)
- 62A: Cowardly (LILY-LIVERED)
- 32A: ___ Pet (sprouting figurine) (CHIA) — "sprouting figurine" is a phrase at once fancy and revolting.
- 52A: Respectful Turkish title (AGA) — I thought an "AGA" was an official. Didn't know it had anything to do with "respect."
- 5D: Timmy's TV dog (LASSIE) — I wonder what age you have to be (i.e. how young) before this becomes a mystery/non-gimme. I knew it even though I never saw the TV show, so it must be (or have been) "in the air," as they say. The joke about Timmy's being able to understand LASSIE's barking as if it were speech is still current, I think.
- 49D: 7's retail partner? (ELEVEN) — we don't have those convenience stores here where I live, but they're all over California (where I grew up) and presumably much of the rest of the country.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]