Friday, October 9, 2026

"Super Dry" brewer / FRI 10-9-26 / Much-anticipated rivalry game in soccer's La Liga / Cricket's Men in Green, on scoreboards / Hounds that can run up to 35 m.p.h. / Device geared to draw rotationally symmetrical shapes / Near failure, colloquially / By an even stronger argument, at law / Glenn who co-founded the Eagles / Some Navy aircraft during W.W. II / What Odysseus's crew waxed on about?

Constructor: Nam Jin Yoon

Relative difficulty: Easy

35D: Princess who says "Governor Tarkin! I should have expected to find you holding Vader's leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board"]

THEME: none 

Word of the Day: WONG Kar-wai (36A: ___ Kar-wai, acclaimed Hong Kong filmmaker behind 1994's "Chungking Express") —
Wong Kar-wai
BBS (born 17 July 1958) is a Hong Kong filmmaker. His films are characterised by nonlinear narratives, atmospheric music, and vivid cinematography with bold, saturated colours. An auteur of Hong Kong cinema, Wong frequently appears at international film festivals. [...] Exhausted by the time-consuming production of Ashes of Time, Wong directed Chungking Express (1994), a smaller film that he hoped would rekindle his love of cinema during a two-month sabbatical while waiting for post-production equipment to arrive for Ashes of Time. The film, with its more lighthearted atmosphere, catapulted Wong to international prominence, and won Best Film and Best Director at the 1995 Hong Kong Film Awards. Wong followed up with the crime thriller Fallen Angels (1995), which has since become a cult classic of the Golden Age of Hong Kong cinema and is considered especially representative of Wong's style. Wong consolidated his reputation with the 1997 drama Happy Together, for which he won Best Director at the Cannes Film Festival. // The 2000 drama In the Mood for Love, revered for its lush visuals and subtle storytelling, concretely established Wong's trademark filmmaking style. Among his other works are 2046 (2004), a romantic drama and science fiction film, and The Grandmaster (2013), a biopic of Ip Man, both of which received awards and nominations worldwide. [...] In 2000, Empire ranked [In the Mood for Love] number 42 in its list titled "The 100 Best Films of World Cinema". It was ranked 95th on 100 Best Films from 1983 to 2008 by Entertainment Weekly. In November 2009, Time Out New York ranked the film as the fifth-best of the decade, calling it the "consummate unconsummated love story of the new millennium". // In the 2022 decennial critics' poll conducted by Sight and Sound, In the Mood for Love appeared at number 5, making it the highest-ranked film from the 2000s and one of only two from the 2000s to be listed in the top 10 of all time, along with David Lynch's Mulholland Drive. Wong's film was also the highest-ranked film by a Chinese filmmaker. The film owed its placement to the votes of 42 critics (out of 846) who placed it in their own individual top 10 lists.
• • •


Seems like it's been a while since I tore through a Friday, but I sure tore through this one. A few snags along the way, but overall, this felt more like a Wednesday. Almost all the difficulty for me lay in two answers, both sports (I don't follow): PAK and EL CLASICO. The funny thing about PAK is I didn't really know what sport I was dealing with, despite "Cricket's" being right there in the clue (38D: Cricket's Men in Green, on scoreboards). I was like "who is Cricket?" I thought "Cricket's Men in Green" was some kind of long name for, like, an Irish soccer team or something. We don't have cricket here. I shouldn't say that. I have seen South Asian men playing cricket in the local parks a few times over the years, so ... it's here. Just not professionally. That I know of. It's big in New Zealand, where my wife is from, but so is Marmite, and we don't have that here either (unless you know where to look) (we're exclusively a Vegemite household, but that's another story ... a yeast-extract spread story). So, because I was not processing "Cricket" at all ("Jiminy Cricket?"), that "K" (as you can see from the completed-grid picture above) was the very last thing I filled in. As for EL CLASICO (56A: Much-anticipated rivalry game in soccer's La Liga) ... I inferred it, eventually. One "S" in "CLASICO," eh? Cool. As for the rest of the puzzle, I whippet it, whippet it good.

[37A: Hounds that can run up to 35 m.p.h.]

Today's puzzle felt a little tepid. Solid, mostly, but without a lot of sizzle. A FORTIORI, oof, I got it easily enough, but that's too much real estate to give over to legal Latin on a Friday (17A: By an even stronger argument, at law). TOP PAIR, shrug, I get it, but it's not an interesting answer (41A: Two aces, say). No active complaints about most of the rest of the long stuff, but it never gave me a thrill. Except SISYPHEAN, that one I loved (58A: Extremely difficult and ultimately futile). I've had Camus's phrase "One must imagine Sisyphus happy" on my brain a lot lately, I'm not sure why. Maybe it's something to do with seeing Coyote v. Acme. Or maybe it was a video from We Rate Dogs of a lab fetching a ball from the water, dropping it on the shore, watching it roll back into the water, fetching the ball from the water, dropping it on the shore, watching it roll back into the water, fetching the ball etc. (I can't find a proper copy of the video or I'd show you) (It's here, at Facebook Reels). I also liked SIREN SONG (4D: What Odysseus' crew waxed on about?—because they put wax on (that is, "in") their ears so as not to hear the tempting tunes). And I thought the 8s dancing through the middle of the grid (SCROOGES CORONARY WHIPPETS "FRESH AIR") formed a nice set. Also thrilled to see WONG Kar-wei (though I spelled it WANG at first); kinda stunned they used Chungking Express instead of the much more famous In the Mood For Love in the clue, but always happy to see international cinema in the grid. Still waiting on VARDA and OZU, but ... some day ... 


Bullets:
  • 10A: "Super Dry" brewer (ASAHI) — if you can manage to remember just one Japanese beer, make it ASAHI. If you can manage two, throw KIRIN in there as well. Five-letter beers. Very useful. 
  • 52A: Drawing on another's life (PARASITIC) — took me longer than it should have because the clue seemed so innocuous and vague. I actually wanted PARASOCIAL but it wouldn't fit. "Drawing on" is accurate but doesn't really get at all the (potential) blood-sucking and disease-causing etc. The depletion, I guess, is what I was looking for. Something even slightly negative. But as I say, the clue is fair.
  • 28D: Near failure, colloquially (ON THE ROPES) — was reading this as a noun, i.e. a "near-failure," so the prepositional phrase surprised me a little.
  • 42D: Student of Socrates (PLATO) — maybe I didn't notice at first because they were mostly easy, but man there are a lot of names here at the bottom of the grid. Six of the last ten Down answers are names, plus ORCS, which are fictional and therefore name-ish. PLATO SATIE ERICA DALI ALY. Meanwhile, there are only a small handful of names scattered around the rest of the grid. I'm realizing now that this is not a very interesting observation. APOLOGIES (12D: "My mistake").
  • 33D: One who regularly takes a best friend out? (DOG OWNER) — I understood the canine implications here pretty quickly (dog = "Man's best friend"), but OWNER, yeesh, that was not clear. I figured walking the dog would be part of the answer. Like DOG WALKER or DOG SITTER or something. But no, just the OWNER. Anticlimactic.
  • 51D: ___ team (AS A) — bad fill should not get confusing clues. This thing I believe. If the OWNER part of DOG OWNER was anticlimactic, I don't know what to call discovering the answer here was AS A—disappointing? Sad? Horrifying? Probably "disappointing" will do.
  • 9D: Device geared to draw rotationally symmetrical shapes (SPIROGRAPH) — is "geared" a pun? Because I believe literal "gears" are involved—at least they were on whatever childhood toy version of this device that I had...

That's all for today. See you next time.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

67 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this one a lot but really struggled last night to finish because I had a typo.... which I missed when I surveyed the grid the 1st time. So I was playing around with ELCLASICO and with LEFAY to see which letter was wrong when I had just spelled ORINOCO with all "Os" (???ALIBO???). So that was dumb. Finally saw it. still only 16 minutes so agree it was easy for a Friday. Enjoyed learning about Wong Kar-wai! Looks like an interesting filmmaker. I would have though SISYPHEAN would have needed a 2nd S in there somewhere.... Agree that the central 8s are the highlight--SCROOGE is having a CORONARY while the WHIPPETS are out racing in the FRESH AIR! Thanks, Nam Jin Yoon! Great puzzle : ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too spelled it ORoNOCO. I was definitely thinking of Aphra Behn’s novel Oroonoko.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:27 AM

    Rex, if you buy Marmite here (it’s available in my regular old grocery store) it’s the same as New Zealand Vegemite. New Zealand “marmite” is something different; similar but definitely not the same (or as good IMO) as what you know as Vegemite and the UK (US, Canada,…) know as Marmite

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at SISYPHEAN. Happy to learn the meaning of AFORTIORI. Quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Solid late week puzzle. Attractive grid layout that allowed access to all areas. I loved SPIROGRAPH and that opened up the entire center.

    C’’MON Everybody

    HELLCATS, SIREN SONG, ON THE ROPES are fantastic. Agree that it did tend towards the easy side but there was enough juice here and there.

    I Will DARE

    There was some obscure trivia - Rex summarizes nicely. EL CLASICO, PAK, WONG needed all the crosses to fill. I love the river trivia though - ORINOCO is straight off the Enya camp.

    Watch That Man

    Enjoyable Friday morning solve.

    FRESH AIR

    ReplyDelete
  5. More medium for me than easy for but enjoyable. Labored for the last three minutes of my solve looking for my error in the completed grid; finally realized that the gymnast at 53D was ALY not ALI, because SISIPHEAN is spelled with a Y.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ON THE ROckS rather than ROPES slowed me down. Also confidently wrote in ORoNOCO and had to hunt down that typo at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey All !
    Tough puz for me. Ultimately a DNF in SE, (and one letter in NW.) Couldn't get WELLTODO, even after having the WELLT__O in. The silly brain wouldn't come off the meaning of "Comfortable" as cozy, safe. Ah, Financially stable. Maybe because I'm not?

    Had SISYPHEANs I and Y reversed, because of course. Also, my composer of Gymnopédies was SATrE. Wasn't he a painter, maybe?

    The NW one was LEmAY/AmORTIORI, happy to change to an F, at least.

    So a hard FriPuz here. Hopefully the reversing of Fri and SatPuzs continues, and tomorrows isn't quite this tough.

    Hope y'all have a great Friday!

    Four F's
    RooMonster
    DarrinV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sartre was the existentialist French philosopher. Maybe you're thinking of him?

      Delete
    2. DAVinHOP9:34 AM

      Unlike @Roo, we had the I and Y in the right spots for the start of 58A, confirmed by DALI and ALY (Raisman different from both Muhammad and daughter Laila).

      But we did initially spell it SISYPHiAN, thinking SATIi might be right. Had to look it up to finish with SATIE. Cruel to get the name essentially correct, only to misspell its adjective.


      Delete
    3. Yeah, I likewise thought of Sartre, but was pretty sure he probably wasn't a composer on the side while writing existentialist philosophy (and then also remembered there was another 'r' in there). Don't know SATIE at all, though I guess the name looks pretty crossword-friendly so might as well learn about him.

      Delete
    4. I knew this answer because the first and last tracks on the group Blood, Sweat and Tear’s eponymous album are “Variations on a Theme by Erik Satie”. Good memories from the late 60’s!!

      Delete
    5. Stumptown Steve1:50 AM

      One of the best albums of all time, A radio show I cohosted was cancelled, so I played the second cut, the one with thes steps and the door closing, as the final song.

      Delete
  8. It’s been more than four years since we’ve seen Nam in the Times, and he’s continued where he left off without losing a step.

    Nam’s cleverness in clue and beauty in answer in the past -- such as [Needle exchange?] for FRIENDLY BANTER (2022) -- continually charmed me. And here it is again today. I especially liked the second word in [Device geared to draw rotationally symmetrical shapes] for SPIROGRAPH (a NYT debut, BTW).

    Another NYT debut – today’s grid design – provided for an amazingly high 20 longs (answers of eight letters or more), and man, did Nam pack in the quality. CLASS ACTS, WHIPPETS, WELL TO DO, SISYPHEAN, SIREN SONG, ON THE ROPES, SPIROGRAPH, and more.

    Beauty like that transforms the box into a gem.

    The NW gave me the kind of fight my brain loves, and there were several splat-fills to provide “whee!”. I also liked DOG crossing DANE (as in Great).

    But, to me, the beauty ruled today, and it greatly enriched my day, Nam. Welcome back, and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:51 AM

    a class act is not a mensch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:57 AM

      But where a class act may include kindness or generosity, there is a mensch.

      Delete
    2. But, a mensch is a class act!

      Delete
    3. Anonymous8:21 PM

      Yes. And giving up a subway seat to an old person on a crowded train is a class act; and the person offering the seat is without question, a mensch.

      Delete
  10. Anonymous7:55 AM

    was I the only one tripped up by the spelling of LE FAY? I had LE Fee to begin with, then almost immediately switched to LE FeY, but I guess out of the corner of my eye SeNE probably just fooled me as if it was "serene". I was a bit stymied when I finished but didn't get the celebratory jingle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had La FAY, figuring she was female.

      Delete
    2. Didn't know either & guessed P. Lepay & Aportiori

      Delete
  11. Anonymous8:00 AM

    Very good puzzle overall, felt fresh, found it easy but not Wednesday level .

    I learned about ELCLASICO the hard way. About 10 years ago I flew into Madrid and took a train to a provincial town to visit a friend. Unfortunately the train arrived early, about 5 local time, and I was left in an empty station . Looking out, the streets were deserted. I admit to getting a few horror film vibes. I did hear noises down the street and got up enough courage to investigate. I found the train station employees along with 50 other men crowded into a dive bar yelling at a TV and each other. When the first fight started, I beat it back to the station in time for my friend to pick me up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Had to be the most internationally-clued puzzle I have ever seen. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think about that while I was solving, but you're right. I did enjoy it, even when it stretched me.

      Delete
  13. Anonymous8:27 AM

    Mixing up the placement of TSA and AFI, at first, it was an easy, enjoyable Friday puzzle. 🎈🎈🎊🎊

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very easy Friday. Fridays seem to see-saw between 'easier than Wednesday' and 'harder than Saturday'.

    Loved SPIROGRAPH as a kid. I feel like it would not have the same appeal to an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel like LEFAY crossing A FORTIORI falls squarely in Natick territory. Maybe I'm supposed to know all of the Latin legalese, but I don't, and I'm not a big King Arthur guy, so...yeah. AFI crossing A FORTIORI is mean but maybe fair? If you asked me "Does the American Film Institute exist?" I would say yes. If you asked me "What does AFI stand for?" I would say...aw fuck it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. I had LEmAY for the longest time. Obscure name, obscure Latin.

      Delete
    2. Ted Striker9:34 AM

      I was too tired for my brain to dredge up 'fortis' as Latin for 'strong' and I had no idea about LEFAY, so I stuck some other letter in there that seemed to make sense, and when I finished without happy music, I went to that spot and ran the alphabet (luckily I didn't have to go far to get to F!) until I got it.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous9:39 AM

      Agree on LEFAY / AFORTIORI. One of the biggest Naticks ever for me.

      Delete
    4. Anonymous11:36 AM

      Agreed. I had a D thinking the legal term would be Ad something, Ala ad hoc… Had to look it up. First DNF due to a cheat in a long time.

      Delete
    5. Although I had no idea on the legal term, trying the F there brought to mind 'fortify', and then I thought of other words like 'forte' and 'fortress'. Other letters I tired there were M - which makes MORT which means death, and P, which makes PORT which means door. My 8th grade English teacher's obsession with Greek and Latin roots paid off here.

      Delete
    6. FWIW Adrienne
      Rex , who invented the word natick has an official definition I think it’s on the website
      2 OBSCURE for most people ( an objective standard) PROPER nouns
      crossing at an UNINFERABLE letter
      I think the F may be inferable fort- as in strong. And a fortiori is not a proper.
      Natick comes from a small town on the Boston Marathon route crossing N.C. Wyeth an early 20 th Century book illustrator. Note an initial is very often uninferable! Rex got furious about the cross.

      Delete
  16. Brief text from Ed Sheeran to tour manager regarding Macklemore: CANOPENER. MAGA stadium owner pissed.

    My stance is don't WHIPPETS or any other living creatures (a possible exception could be made for fruit flies, but they're hard to whip effectively).

    The Organization of American States has gotten so messed up by you-know-who that it's hard these days to say what OASIS.

    TOPPAIR could be a prize in a naked beauty contest.

    Made it to Santa Fe, and very briefly enjoyed today's puzzle. Thanks, Nam Jin Yoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @egsforbreakfast9:19 AM
      Can you see me waving?! Red chile at The Shed is the correct answer.

      Delete
  17. Oops, forgot to sign in, I'm the one who thinks it's MENSCHEn

    ReplyDelete
  18. I fumed a bit about being expected to know traditional football rivalries in Spain or which cricket side wears green (surprising to me, since normally all cricketers wear white), but they were crossed fairly. If I didn't know Pakistan was a cricket country it might have foiled me. And I would have guessed Nile for the river, but at 7 letters starting with O, it wasn't hard to guess. And, as several have said already, the cluing was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:39 AM

      Except for the big four or five day matches, cricket has gone to colored uniforms to be able to see a white ball crossing in front of a player. The white ball also allows games to be played under lights. But only the pros tend to even have stadiums with lights. I miss the whites (very elegant, I always thought) and the red ball for amateur and school matches. But how many Americans would have known this?

      Delete
  19. DAVinHOP10:01 AM

    Lots of entertaining answers, without much in the way of cringe, perhaps A FORTIORI falls into that category, for some anyway.

    Had the O (from SRO) and A (from OASIS) and confidently began typing in Femoral for the artery, while musing out loud how it's FemUr (noun), but FemOal (adjective). The muse was abruptly cut short when Femoral wouldn't fit. Took a few more crosses, and gulps of coffee, to get CORONARY.

    Loved both answers from Greek myth, and the exploratory reminder here that Odysseus's crew's waxing was for the goo that sealed their ears (of which Odysseus did not partake). Easy answer regardless, but a first rate clue.

    Loved the flashback Rex provided with the SPIROGRAPH ad. One of the spots called the device a "miracle". Laughable now, but kind of fun to recall a time when things of this nature were invented by human brains and not by modern technology including AI.

    Don't know much, anything really, about La Liga. Thought the clue was pointing to a specific matchup of teams (similar to, say, Manchester-Chelsea from the English league). No; way too few letters. Then compounded the confusion by misreading the clue for 54D as Energizing (coincidentally having the opposite meaning) and writing in Pep instead of SAP. EL CLeSICO didn't ring true, but (fixing that) neither did Pap, which forced us to re-read the clue ("ohh... it's Enervate"...face palm).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rex, there is definitely professional cricket in the United States. High quality professional cricket, too, which I'm sure comes as a surprise. It's known as Major League Cricket, and it features some of the world's best players, including Steven Smith and Faf du Plessis. It started in 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  21. For some reason, in growing up with Jewish friends, I came to think of a “mensch” as a kind of well intentioned but foolish person. Now I am seeing it almost as an honorific, and thinking that perhaps my young friends were just being youthfully sarcastic. As an avid reader of Arthurian legends LEFAY was an easy get, but I made a hash out of spelling AFORTIORI , did not know AFI, and first entered spitBALL instead of NERFBALL, so had a hard time filling in the NE. DALI resolved my question as to where to put the “Y” in SISYPHEAN.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This played hard, hard, hard for me today. I Liked it a lot, but at the risk of eliciting a few, "How could you not know that?!" responses, you could fill the grand canyon with all the stuff that I didn't know this morning. The beauty of the puzzle is that I mostly had fun working it all out and learned some very cool stuff.

    Give me a Latin/Legalese bunch of letters and it's an almost certainty that I will have no idea, so AFORTIORI needed every cross. And not every cross in the NW was a gimme. But CLASSACT and RELIEFMAP were such great fill that that whole neighborhood was well worth the effort. Though I'm still not sure how I feel about CMON as fill, it doesn't make me wince.

    Others that were unknowns or very far from front of brain were WONG, WHIPPETS, SISYPHEAN and SATIE. I'm very happy to know all of them now. So again, the hard work was worth every minute.

    A lot to like today in addition to (most of) the NW stack. CANOPENER just plain looks nice, FRESHAIR and HELLCATS are also good fill. WELLTODO and ONTHEROPES were pleasing as well.. My favorite today was SIRENSONG. Something felt very fresh today, so that, along with the level of difficulty, really pepped me up this morning.

    I had the same reaction as @Rex with PARASITIC. That's quite a word for such a tame clue, so I was going in some wrong directions there until it finally hit me.

    Strange experience with DOGWALKER. The clue led me down the path of something a hitman might do: "Taking a best friend out" sounded like something a paid killer might have to do. Pretty dark, I know. That one also had me going down some strange, dark alleys. I was relived that the answer was way more friendly.

    Nam, thank you for this. I sweated through it but had fun, and learned some interesting little nuggets along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mostly very smooth sailing through this one and finally finished by correctly guessing the I cross in AFI and AAFORTIORI. I think we've seen the legal phrase in a puzzle before but didn't remember it. Messed myself up by spelling it FRYE FIRST. Also considered BASSETS before WHIPPETS as I had the ETS but 1) it didn't fit and 2) it made no sense, although a speeding basset is a fun image.

    As for ELCLASICO, it's pretty famous if you follow European football, which I do. Note to OFL-there are no double S words in Spanish. If it sounds like an S, it's an S. Very sensible. I know outside of Spain it could be a Z or a C, which is why the th sound is sensible too.

    I liked your Friday a lot, NJY. I know it's Not Just You who makes good stuff like this, but you're near the top. Thanks for all the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous10:39 AM

    Not easy for me! Had to chip away and finally was left with a few letters in NW. I got AFx but had no idea if it was American Film Association?Congress? whatever

    ReplyDelete
  25. On the tough side for me with the East a tad tougher than the West.

    WOEs that made this tougher - AFORTIORI, ASAHI, WONG, EL CLASICO, PAK, ORINOCO, and SPIROGRAPH.

    Costly erasure - NERF dart before BALL because projectile.

    Solid and crunchy with a soupçon of sparkle, liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I literally just read Camus’s “Myth of Sisyphus” with my students yesterday, so I’m incredibly embarrassed by how long that answer took me (I had misspelled ALY Raisman’s name, which I should also know better, so that threw me off in the crossing). And HELLCAT should have been a gimmie since my grandfather (Maurice “Wick” Wickendoll, who went on to name the Blue Angels after the war and died flying experimental aircraft in the early stages of what would become the space race) flew one, and yet I spent way too much thinking “Hmm…I know I’ve heard it…it’s something mean…maybe slightly sacrilegious…” All that to say, I suppose that I did not find this puzzle as easy as Rex did, but should have. It was a puzzle to shame me. Even SPIROGRAPH, which I had loved in my 80s childhood, took me a bit to recall!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I enjoyed it. Definitely thought it was harder than did Rex, but it was doable. Both Star Wars and LOTR!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Niallhost11:27 AM

    I cry foul on the LEFAY/AFORTIORI crossing. There's no way either of those words are inferable for people who haven't heard of either, which is most of us. I hate when I have to run the alphabet to solve.. The rest of the puzzle I found challenging but ultimately gettable. 24:40

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous11:55 AM

    https://m.youtube.com/shorts/zkvXcmLul8U

    ReplyDelete
  30. Don't mean to be a downer but I'm not enjoying the puzzles lately :(

    ReplyDelete
  31. Easy?!?!
    LEFAY/AFORTIORI/SPIROGRAPH?
    ... WONG!

    staff weeject picks: AFI & TSA. A TOPPAIR, cuz they were both "concerned with" that there PAK clue of mystery.

    some fave stuff: Jaws of Themelessness. SIRENSONG. Swiss Army CANOPENER. DOGOWNER & its clue. ONTHEROPES. Mango & wine leftovers. WONG/SONG. ALIBIS clue.

    Thanx for the fun sufferin, Mr. Yoon dude. Nice, feisty U-less 68-worder. Well ... not the U-less part.

    Masked & Anonymo0Us

    [Certified Biter] Runt puzzle:
    **gruntz**

    M&A

    ReplyDelete
  32. I got some satisfaction from working through this one, and I liked having FRESH AIR, WHIPPETS, and Glenn FREY in the same puzzle. And FALLOW is a lovely word. But I agree with Rex that AS A Team was just terrible.

    It was AFI crossing AFORTIORI that did me in, though, I thought, AFA? AFO? Nah. So I missed tha happy music. On to Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FALLOW is a lovely word. When my wife phones down to the studio and asks why I am not up in the kitchen I'm just going to reply, "Sorry, I'm just lying FALLOW".

      Delete
  33. Anonymous1:41 PM

    I actually enjoyed this puzzle.... started off very slowly, but then things just started tumbling in a positive direction and, voila. Only clue answer i missed on was 8D... 'Zero out, in a way." Shoulda got that.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Not sure why the easy cluing isn’t being mentioned more. Maybe I got lucky, but I scored a personal best solve time for a Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Not too challenging, but quite a few guesses required (I'm looking at you, AFORTIORI!). As Rex mentioned, a lot of names particularly in the lower half. I count 10, or as much as 14 if you count SISYPHEAN and some others. Yikes! Only LEFAY and WONG were real Unknowns though, so I got them.

    Yes, PAK was tough because so few of us watch cricket. I think I have related the story before, of when our city couldn't field a cricket team for the provincial games, so a gang of my friends' friends volunteered even though they had never played it and didn't know the rules. They won silver!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Had fun with this one and would rate it medium. Solved late last night and, when I reviewed it this morning, I realized that in almost every tough section there was a gimme. A bunch of names in the clues and those answers really helped get me going. ASAHI, DANE (Tycho Brahe), Do I DARE eat a peach, DALI, ERICA Jong and Eric SATIE, and PLATO were all nicely placed stepping stones for me. I took a guess at WONG Car-wai. I’ve only seen one of his films so, yeah, it was a lucky guess, but sometimes you just have to go with that. If I found myself “solving” a puzzle where I didn’t have to infer or guess a bunch of answers I would just quit and go do something more interesting, like tossing the compost piles or mowing the lawn.

    As for the LE FAY A FORTIORI crossing, my wife loves Arthurian stuff so I’ve heard the name but it took me forever to drag it out of the murk of memory. I sort of knew it started with an L and ended with a long A sound, but that was it. For the cross I had A_ORT__R_ and reasoned that with “stronger” in the clue the Latin fortis might be involved. It was and I filled in LEFAY and was on my way out of that corner.

    And that’s how it went, which is, how a crossword should proceed. Some prior knowledge, some reasonable guesses, some word pattern recognition and, luckily for me, a big handful of names I knew.

    Thanks Nam Jin Yoon.

    Oh yeah, LEIA was a gimme, too, but I really wish she hadn’t shown up to the party. And TARE was also a gimme because, as soon as I finish typing this I’m going up to the kitchen to prepare my brine for the Thanksgiving turkey. I measure the dry ingredients by weight and constantly have to TARE my kitchen scale. And, yes, it is Thanksgiving up here north of the 49th and it is a harvest festival and if we tried to harvest in late November we would starve. Wish you all the best on yours. Ours is on Monday. Mmmm. Turkey with stuffing, oven roasted (or maybe mashed) potatoes, and yes, Brussels sprouts halved and sautéed with bacon and finished with house-made turkey stock. Lots of other good stuff, too. Like gravy. I’m getting hungry, but have to be patient. Dinner’s not til Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This puzzle hit the sweet spot for me. Started off with getting 17A "By an even stronger argument, at law" with just the F in place. I took some logic courses in grad school many years ago and somehow both a priori and A FORTIORI came to mind. Nice!

    The fun continued with 25A. I read Alexander von Humboldt's "Personal Narrative of Travels to the Equinoctial Regions of the New Continent, During the Year 1799-1804" a few years ago where he and fellow explorer Aimé Bonpland confirmed that you could travel by water from the ORINOCO to the Amazon. It was an incredible, truth is stranger than fiction adventure.

    Lots of other answers like Eric SATIE (44D) put a big smile on my face. Always enjoy listening to his music. The puzzle ended with a big, luscious cherry on top when I had the initial letter S in place for 58A "Extremely difficult and ultimately futile" and I wondered if that might refer to the Greek mythological figure Sisyphus. Yes!!! And I even spelled SISYPHEAN correctly! (Did you know that was the origin of the phrase "Rock and Roll?)

    Yep, this puzzle definitely hit the sweet spot. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous3:59 PM

    Hard for me (not a Wednesday!) but enjoyable solve. I did everything except the NW, where I had to look up RELIEFMAP and face palmed. I also did not know the W of WONG and went with dry forever- dry does not work! I don’t know cocktails. Knew Latin and SISYPHEAN, however :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I knew a fortiori, but think of it more broadly as a term in logic than in law, though it's certainly used in law, as the clue states. If A is the case, then, a fortiori, B must be the case (even more so). E.g., if your weight-loss plan limits bread, then, a fortiori, it should limit cake.

    We don't go to Broadway musicals often, but we really enjoyed the new show about the artist Salvador: Hello DALI. It included the hit tune about the filmmaker Kar-wai -- you know, that WONG number.

    Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffett, et al: WELLTODO list.

    The clue for WELLTODO (comfortable) may be a nod to an old joke in which a little old Jewish man is hit by a car. He's lying down waiting for the ambulance. A helpful soul asks him if he's comfortable, and he says "I make a living."


    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous5:02 PM

    Easy, but way too much trivia.

    ReplyDelete
  41. MetroGnome5:39 PM

    "Easy"?
    AFORTIORI / SET (as clued) / AFI / TARE / SPIROGRAPH?? ASAHI / HELLCATS/ ORINOCO?? ORCS/ ELCLASICO??
    Y'gotta be kiddin'!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. This was a bit above average for a Friday. My final letter was the F of LEFAY and AFORTIORI. That was strictly from the latin term as the Arhurian name is unfamiliar.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Easy for me because my wheelhouse.
    First book of poems I read in high school 60 years ago and that poem was and still is one of my favorites. Don’t know much about classical music but do know that composer & that piece. ORINOCO and the Enya song immediately popped into my head. Little interest in cricket but knew that PAKistan was a power in it ( as is India).
    Of course when I say easy my time is ridiculously slow for many of you
    Liked the puzzle more than Rex

    ReplyDelete
  44. Anonymous8:16 PM

    Had ONTHESKIDS before ONTHEROPES, TOPGUNS before TOPPAIR. Mostly enjoyed in spite of this.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I thought this was much more challenging than “Easy” and deserved more than three stars.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Fue error mío. Mis disculpas.

    Cricket, soccer, NPR, Latin legalese, Japanese beer, The Eagles. A level of yawn-ery rarely matched. Of course all is forgiven with SISYPHEAN, Sirens, and King Arthur.

    Typical time. Kinda funny puzzle, so there's something. That's a hella long clue for LEIA. I guess you go big sometimes.

    Never ever heard of ORINOCO. It seems like I should have. Amazing to read up on it.

    Of all the ways to clue DARE they opt for the Nazi. I'd leave him in a college course of required reading of dead white guys who owned typewriters and leave him out of everything else.

    Gunkometer--
    People: 12 {really?}
    Places: 1
    Products: 8
    Partials: 6
    Foreignisms: 3
    --
    Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 30 of 68 (44%)

    {Folks, let's congratulate our editorial team for our most recent winner of the Gunkorama prize by playing a gunkophone -- toot toot -- a gunkarine -- rat a tat tat shake shake -- and after our short musical interlude, I'll be serving scoops of vanilla ice cream at the Gunkadrome. C'MON down.}

    Funny Factor: 5 😄

    🔥 Ooh-la-la! 🔥 ANNAL (soo close).

    Uniclues:

    1 One who's soft and reasonable.
    2 Give something back. Just try it.
    3 One you shoot and then it inexplicably boomerangs back and sticks in your neck.
    4 What brought the Tin Man down?

    1 SANE NERF BALL
    2 WELL TO DO DARE
    3 SISYPHEAN ARROW (~)
    4 A LONE CAN OPENER

    My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: "Dear grampa: Turn off FoxNews." LI'L GEEZER GRAM.

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    ReplyDelete