Thursday, October 8, 2026

Remote sensing technology that uses lasers / THU 10-8-26 / Audacious, informally / Perceived Democratic electoral bloc / "Midnight Cowboy" con man / Cezanne created a pyramid of them / Host Meredith of "25 Words or Less"

Constructor: Rachel Grey and John Kugelman

Relative difficulty: Medium

THEME: put it in reverse! — answers are literal descriptions of the clue, which is a word that has been turned around (to form a separate, unrelated word): 

Theme answers:
  • COUNTERARGUMENT (17A: Taps) ("Taps" is "spat" backward (“COUNTER”), "spat" = "ARGUMENT")
  • RETROCHIC (24A: Trams) ("Trams" is "smart" backward ("RETRO"), "smart" = "CHIC")
  • FLIP OF A SWITCH (36A: Paws) ("Paws" is "swap" backward ("FLIP OF A"), "swap" = "SWITCH")
  • HAIRY BACK (49A: Dessert) ("Dessert" = "tressed" backward (“BACK”), "tressed" = "HAIRY")
  • DRINKS ALL AROUND (58A: Naive regal gnat) ("Naive regal gnat" = "Evian, lager and Tang" backwards (“ALL AROUND”), "Evian, lager and Tang" = "DRINKS")
Word of the Day: LIDAR (31D: Remote sensing technology that uses lasers) —
Lidar
(/ˈlaɪdɑːr/, an acronym of light detection and ranging or laser imaging, detection, and ranging, often stylized LiDAR) is a method for determining ranges by targeting an object or a surface with a laser and measuring the time for the reflected light to return to the optical receiver. Lidar may operate in a fixed direction (e.g., vertical) or it may scan directions, in a special combination of 3D scanning and laser scanning. // LiDAR is used within terrestrial, airborne, and mobile equipment around the globe. It is commonly used to make high-resolution maps, with applications in surveying, geodesy, geomatics, archaeology, geography, geology, geomorphology, seismology, forestry, atmospheric physics, laser guidance, airborne laser swathe mapping (ALSM), and laser altimetry. It is used to make digital 3D representations of areas on the Earth's surface and ocean bottom of the intertidal and near coastal zone by varying the wavelength of light. It has also been increasingly used in control and navigation for autonomous cars and for the helicopter Ingenuity on its record-setting flights over the terrain of Mars. Lidar has since been used extensively for atmospheric research and meteorology. Lidar instruments fitted to aircraft and satellites carry out surveying and mapping – a recent example being the U.S. Geological Survey Experimental Advanced Airborne Research Lidar. NASA has identified lidar as a key technology for enabling autonomous precision safe landing of future robotic and crewed lunar-landing vehicles.
• • •

I appreciate the theme—a concept I think I've seen before, and one that was not at all hard to uncover—but solving it felt extremely fussy and awkward (lots of strangely clued 3s and 4s). I'm also not sure "Tressed" = HAIRY, in that simply having hair does not make one HAIRY, which is how you'd describe someone with a lot of hair (or a dog, I guess). They're not great synonyms. I mean, "tressed" isn't a great word at all, no one uses it ever in any context ever. It's usually used in combinations. "Golden-tressed," e.g. HAIRY ... doesn't get at it. So that themer was a big miss, but the others worked fine, with DRINKS ALL AROUND being the real winner, properly placed at the end of the puzzle (always save the best for last). Despite grasping the theme concept very early, the themers remained hard, as I still had a lot to figure out (what the synonym for the reversed clue would be + how the "backward" part of the answer was going to be expressed). I mostly just crossed those answers heavily and then looked at their clues. Solving that way,  there was only one themer I had any trouble with—FLIP OF A SWITCH—and that was because so many of the crosses in its first half were gobbledygook to me. 


Most of the green ink on my print-out today is concentrated in the WNW, right around BALLSY and its environs (which, as you can see, includes the front end of FLIP OF A SWITCH). The real killer answer through there, for me, was LIDAR, a word I've never seen in my life (not even in crosswords—this is a debut). I looked it up and ... there it is (Word of the Day), but [deep sigh] those are just five random letters to me. I just read what LIDAR is an acronym for and I've already forgotten. I had RADAR in there at first. I also had real trouble with FARADAYS (37D: Units of electric charge). Had the DAYS part and thought there was some term like "usage days" or "watt days" or something. My BLUE WALL was a BLUE WAVE, so that screwed that WNW area up even more (3D: Perceived Democratic electoral bloc). The CAB clue made *no* sense to me until I ran the alphabet at C-B. Could not see that the "way" in 27A: In the way of (À LA) meant "manner," ugh. Kept trying to imagine some kind of physical impediment. And then there's BALLSY, a word I just didn't expect the NYTXW ever to use (30A: Audacious, informally). Too testicular, I would've imagined. But OK. Anyway, all that confusion mashed into one little area meant major annoyance for me. Out of all that mess, I kind of like BALLSY, but the rest of it—untangling it was simply unpleasant.

[Pyramid of Skulls, 1901]

Hated the Warren Buffet clue about BETting on America, what a bunch of jingoistic billionaire horsesh*t, please don't show me billionaires talking in my puzzle, stop listening to billionaires. Tax. Don't listen. Tax. Similar feelings about the clue on AIM (10D: Making money or becoming famous, maybe). Those are stupid f*cking AIMs, empty, hollow, meaningless unto themselves. So many potentially beautiful AIMs in the world and we get this vapid, unimaginative crap. Make better BETs, have better AIMs. I was much happier w/ Cézanne's "pyramid" of skulls, which I had forgotten about. I briefly thought maybe he'd piled up some kind of flower. I also liked CROP DUST, in that it reminded me of North by Northwest, which gives me a chance to say R.I.P Eva Marie Saint, who died two days ago at the age of 102. Won the Academy Award for On the Waterfront and then got to be in one of the greatest suspense films ever made opposite the most gorgeous and charming screen talent of all time. This is chemistry:

["Think how lucky I am to have been seated here"]

[38D: Spray from a plane]


I was also happy to see Nora EPHRON today, especially as clued (41A: Nora who wrote "When Harry Met Sally ..."), as I just finished watching When Harry Met Sally... again for the first time in decades this past Monday and it remains a stunner. Genuinely funny and charming, with iconic autumn-in-New York settings and great supporting performances from Bruno Kirby and Carrie Fisher (the wagon wheel coffee table ... "baby fish mouth!" ...). The writing and storytelling are also nearly flawless, but the secret, irreplaceable weapon is Meg Ryan. Meg Ryan's face, her voice, her whole affect. It's like watching someone single-handedly create an ideal of a form—in this case, the romcom heroine. So many others seem like pale imitations by comparison.

[I watch a Lot of movies: you can follow me on Letterboxd]


Bullets:
  • 9A: How low can they go? (BASSI) — read "how long can they go?" so you can imagine my confusion on (finally) getting the answer
  • 57D: Thelma and Louise, e.g. (PALS) — this seems a flippant way to describe what they are. I had the PA- and wrote in PAIR ... PALS ... I don't think two people who are merely PALS drive off a *&^%ing cliff together, is all I'm saying.
  • 65A: Everybody's hands (DEALS) — "Hands" are DEALS. The "Everybody's" threw me off. Badly.
That's all for today. See you next time.

Signed, Rex Parker, King of CrossWorld

P.S. one last song
  
["She looks like ..."]

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️: 
  • Venmo (@MichaelDavidSharp)]
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:

70 comments:

  1. 16 minutes for me, so yeah, I think that's medium on Thursday.... or medium challenging. FLIPOFASWITCH was actually my first themer, and where I figured out the conceit. paws to swap.... nice! enjoyed this one. from BLUEWALLs to BALLSY to SINBIN to SKULLS, pretty colorful all around. Liked it! Thanks, Rachel and John! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:39 AM

    “I’ll have what she’s having.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anthony in TX6:44 AM

    As always, is it really that good of a theme when you can solve it no problem without understanding a single themed clue? I had to come here to “get” the theme after solving.
    Sometimes it seems like the creators are trying just a little too hard and it winds up being a mess.
    Oh well. There’s always next Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here and 16 minutes for is good for me on Thursday.

      Delete
    2. Same. Liked it a tad better than Rex, possibly because I knew LIDAR and thought the clue for CAB was cute. Couldn't parse the theme, so ignored it and still finished well under my average time.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous1:42 PM

      Where do you see the theme on a Thursday, eg today ‘put it in reverse! ‘ ?

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6:46 AM

    Many aha moments figuring out the theme, then applying it to get the answers. I had FLIPORASWITCH, which fits the clue better, imo. Didn’t see the drinks until the very end. Was looking for something Chinese with TAN. Great puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:01 AM

    Got the theme immediately when I had COUNTER filled in.

    I had trouble in the same area as Rex. COWED is awkward fill, why wasn't it changed to TOWED crossing TAB? At least the -DAR in LIDAR is inferrable, it has the same meaning as the -DAR in RADAR.

    Also, FLIP OF A SWITCH was hard to see because I had DAB ON crossing COULOMBS. Apparently the FARADAY is a unit of charge used in chemistry? I looked up "faraday unit" and understandably, the first results are about the FARAD, another electrical unit named after Faraday that measures a different physical quantity.
    Once I saw that COULOMB was wrong, I assumed "electrical charge" was misdirection (maybe "charge" as in "cost") and that got me nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not so much for me - thought the entire idea and implementation was flat. We’ve seen this trick before - it works but has no real pop. DRINKS ALL AROUND is the highlight.

    Stella By Starlight

    Overall fill was 50-50. The 13 year old in me got a fart joke chuckle with CROP DUST. I like LIDAR and TORERO. VIEIERA is a unique string.

    The Fall

    Looking for something a little more tricky for a beautiful Thursday morning solve. All in with the big guy on Eva Marie - TCM showed Exodus with Paul Newman a few weeks ago - fantastic stuff - RIP.

    The Lonesome Brothers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn’t get the theme until post-solve, but I love that the themers themselves are very lovely things to have in the grid. And I agree that the clue on CAB had me baffled, but I really loved it once it came together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey All !
    Took a minute to grasp what in tarhooties the Themer answers were getting at. Figured it out only after solving two of the Themers. Was just going along trying to get enough crossers to make viable phrases.

    @Lewis should like this one, he of always seeing things backwards.

    Got a chuckle out of HAIRY BACK, I had a non-hairy back for many years, then had back surgery, circa 1999, and hair started growing around the incision. Did they plant hair there? Now I have some hair there, bit by no means am I a wolfman. 😁

    Pretty BALLSY, NYT, to put BALLSY in a grid.

    Had FLIP On A SWITCH for a minute. Also had RATzO/zIP as my DNF. I would've bet money on that Z for RATZO. TBd-TBA, KeaLoa there. sPEND-UPEND.

    So a different type puz. Pretty good.

    Hope y'all have a great Thursday!

    Two F's
    RooMonster
    DarrinV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:17 AM

      I lost money on Ratzo, too. After I flipped on a switch!!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:30 AM

      That is so weird. I just watched When Harry met Sally in Monday on a plane. It really has it all.

      Delete
    3. ... and he did!

      Delete
  9. In contrast to yesterday, I though this theme worked really well. Had a spot of trouble in the SW due to the inscrutable VIEIRA and my entering EERIE as EERri.

    I can't stand Meg Ryan; everything about her just grates on my nerves. Probably my least favorite actress. I loved everything about When Harry Met Sally except for Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The words that tripped you (Rex) up are esoteric STEM words. Starts with an F, Must be FARADAYS. LIDAR? It's in the news a lot. Now you know how I feel when we get literature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I’d had that “F” …

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:50 AM

      Yeah, a big application of LIDAR is in self-driving cars, which I imagine have a negative valence for OFL.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous10:03 AM

      Lidar has been an astounding aid in archaeology. Whole cities have been found buried under years of detritus

      Delete
    4. Anonymous10:30 AM

      I didn’t have any crosses and confidently (and smugly) wrote in coulombs and moved on.

      Delete
    5. Well, you were only off by a factor of 10^4 or so..

      Delete
    6. 10^5 I meant

      Delete
  11. Wordplay and riddles galore – my kind of puzzle.

    At some point, because there were a couple of areas I kept chipping away at without breaking open, I felt myself bearing down and going into full determination mode -- a faith solve.

    That's exactly where I want a puzzle to take me. Things I don’t know, elusive clues, and it becomes Brain Day, equivalent to, say, Leg or Chest Day at the gym. Brain Day: When a puzzle becomes a Puzzle.

    A Puzzle brings sweet rewards. For instance, the cross of CAB and ALA, two simple answers whose clues – [Something inside or outside a wine bar?] and [In the way of] – were absolutely opaque to me. When they finally filled in, it felt like New Year’s Eve.

    The concept was so Thursday and so well executed – finding common phrases that included “backwards” synonyms, clued by backward words, and making it all fit symmetry. Wow!

    Thank you, John and Rachel, for a splendid outing, and congratulations on your debut, Rachel – more like this please!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andy Freude8:05 AM

    Now there’s a properly challenging Thursday! I solved most of it as a themeless, like Rex just waiting till I had enough crosses to see the themers. But that last one eluded me, so I had to go back and suss out the earlier ones. Lots of clever wordplay—much appreciated, John and Rachel!

    But sorry, Rex, I’m with kitshef when it comes to Meg Ryan. She’s cinematic cilantro, and I’m a person for whom it tastes like soap.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No time for me to figure out allegedly funny things to say about today's puzzle. Visiting our daughter in Grand Junction, CO. the last few days, but driving to Santa Fe today for my 50th college reunion. Gonna take the (gasp) Million Dollar Highway featured so ominously in the NYT last week. Pray for us.

    Puzzle was better than 3 stars. Good theme and lotsa nice misdirects and difficult clues. Thanks, Rachel Grey and John Kugelman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:24 AM

      It's a pleasant scenic route, especially if you like driving.

      Delete
  14. I couldn’t figure out the theme — even though I tried looking at some of the theme clues backwards. So theme answers came entirely from crosses, and I remained baffled. So simple when someone explains it to you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Didn’t we just have this backwards clue thing a week or so ago? Pretty much agree with RP today, even re the clue for PALS. Richie and Potsie were PALS on Happy Days. Thelma and Louise were BFFs, or at least that’s what I tried first as the answer. And “tressed” equals a HAIRY BACK? Ew. Like yesterday, I ignored the trick and solved as a themeless. Made it a little more difficult but not impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate puzzles I can solve in my average or in this case better than average time without ever getting the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the explanation on LIDAR. Never heard of it.
    Does Tang still exist? I haven't thought about Tang since I was about 15, which is an awful lot of years ago.
    North by Northwest is an all time classic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous9:04 AM

    I strongly disagree with Rex on DRINKS ALL AROUND. The other themers all have to do with the word being backwards or in reverse. These drinks are not "all around" - they're backwards. This was a huge miss for me about this puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all three drinks. So they are drinks all around. I don't see a problem.

      Delete
    2. When something has been turned "all around," it's facing backwards. That's the use of the phrase that was intended here, IMO.

      Delete
  19. Anonymous9:07 AM

    I couldn’t get the theme. No🎈for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I found this on the challenging side, just right for a Thursday. The theme seemed familiar and I caught on fairly quickly seeing that the clues worked backwards. Though Naive Regal Gnat was a doozy to figure out. As @Rex mentioned, while parsing the theme was somewhat easy, getting it all done took some heavy lifting, but I really enjoyed the work out today.

    Some cool stuff I didn't know like LIDAR. Also some very clever and tricky cluing for simple things like NEO, DAM, COWED, STEM and ONO. Much appreciation for the ONO cluing, nothing against the lady, but I think Rachel and John should get a prize for coming up with a clue that is not something like "Musical wife of John", or "Plastic ___ Band", or Bed-in participant, or "Beatles breaker upper." (OK, maybe the last one has never been used). Anyway, you get what I mean. It was a neat experience to have to push my brain that much to get what would have been just regular short fill in any other puzzle.

    The cluing went from tricky to just plain fun. It wasn't until crosswords that I realized that "shower" has two meanings, so I thought TELESCOPE was just lovely.

    Loved the themer/spanners of COUNTERARGUMENT and DRINKSALLAROUND. The others are all fun words/phrases and great crossword fill.

    On the non-theme side I liked SINBIN, CROPDUST, and BLUEWALL (like @Rex, I also had BLUEwave at first). I also thought BALLSY was kinda Ballsy. Not sure how I feel about it as fill though...OK, it's fine!

    Thanks Rachel and John for a great, and sometimes bumpy Thursday ride Hope to see more like this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I got a couple of theme answers just because they were in-the-language phrases, but HAIRY BACK was so weird that I looked more closely at the clue, and there it was. Reading backwards is a common thing to do, so no revealer was needed.

    Aside from the theme, though, this puzzle had some brilliant cluing, starting with "Meteor shower," but never stopping. "Time to go fast" is pretty straightforward, now that I think of it, but it gave me a chuckle. Fun puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous9:19 AM

    Enjoyable puzzle with fun theme -I was eagerly looking forward to each themer after I got the first one. Not much problem with solve until I went back to far left (geographically speaking, not politically!) or I guess the West. There I had BLUEWAVE crossing BOWED, which required 2-3 minutes to resolve. Loved the cluing, too.
    Can't get much better for a Thursday, great team production, you two

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really eclectic mix of answers. It seems like I just happened to be on the right wavelength at just the right times.

    “In the way of” - I had viA for a second and then thought, no, it’s really more of an acting clue, like A LA.

    I knew of farad and FARADAY and assumed they were synonyms. TIL they are not. But glad I was sure of the F since my first guess was FLIPtheSWITCH.

    Knew LIDAR right off the clue.

    But then YENTE, oof. Yes it’s not new, but that’s not a name that comes up… ever… in daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ted Striker9:22 AM

    Seemed like slow going, but I finished under my average Thursday time. Had no clue what the theme was until I came here.

    LIDAR is used in lots of things. One is probably not a favorite of Rex's (many self-driving cards use LIDAR as part of their suite of sensors), but another may be (it's allowed discovery/delineation of numerous archeological sites in Central and South America that were 'unknown' due to dense vegetation). Oh, and don't get me started on the people who 'stylize' it LiDAR (as mentioned in the clip from Wikipedia Rex posted)—unless you write SoNAR and RaDAR [which absolutely nobody does!] you're a hypocrite if you use LiDAR!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous9:30 AM

    For me, Sleepless in Seattle is the perfect movie and I’ve watched it no fewer than 75 times (sometimes back-to-back) and find that there is a quote from that movie suitable for almost every situation in life. Ironically my mother’s favorite movie was An Affair to Remember and I remember as a child rolling my eyes at her for watching it back-to-back. Every year I play it as many times as possible between Thanksgiving and Christmas (to help fill the void that was Baseball). On Sunday I was at an apple squeeze and mentioned the movie and the man next to me said “I was in that movie!” (One of Rosie’s employees) WHMS and also You’ve Got Mail rank almost as highly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love all three movies, but Meg Ryan with Tom Hanks is somehow a more fitting match to me. Also thought she was adorable in Top Gun.

      Delete
  26. Themer were total nonsense until I got RETRO HI C and then filling in the blanks was speedy, thank goodness. I'm with OFL on thinking HAIRY and tressed are nowhere near the sme but the others were fine. Got FARADAY off the Y in YELLOWSEA and surprised myself for knowing that.. No reason to clue NIL as something in a programming language when it's a soccer term and not connecting OLAF to Norway is just not crossword-y.

    LIDAR? I've missed that somehow..

    Sticky enough for me to be a good Thursday, RG and JK. A Really Good aha! when I just Knew what was going on, and thanks for all the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Tricky, and took me longer than usual. I faced some of the same stumbling blocks as Rex, incuding FARADAYS and LIDAR. I thought some of the cluing was clever, though, including How low can they go? for BASSI, Smart (Trams backward) for RETROCHIC, and Someting inside or outside a wine bar for CAB.

    I always forget what a TISANE is, but it's such a lovely sounding word! Thanks for a good Thursday workout, Rachel Grey and John Kugelman!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I also read "How long can they go" and ended up filling in all the downs there instead and never would have gotten it if you hadn't called it out right here.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous10:11 AM

    Programming languages use NULL not NIL. NIL is for European football games that end in boring ties. I would have thought LIDAR was a household term at this point. If you have a Pro style iPhone, it’s with you all day, and if you live in a city with a self driving car service, it’s the spinning thing on top the white cars.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Solved it but never sussed the theme, had to see what Rex had to say. Even then it's a bit of a stretch

    ReplyDelete
  31. Niallhost10:17 AM

    Had DAB iT before DAB AT, which feels Natick-adjacent as FARADAYS isn't a common word. But it was also the only place where there could have been a mistake, so not sure the ruling on that.

    Understood immediately that I was dealing with backwards words, so that at least helped point me in the right direction, but still tough going on most of them.

    Shouldn't the SIN BIN be called the Ice Box? Rolls off the brain more easily if you ask me. 20:40

    ReplyDelete
  32. Constructor here -- also absolutely hated the clue on AIM, but the editors changed it and we didn't want to push back on a clue that we figured was solvable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy Freude1:06 PM

      First of all—congratulations, Rachel, on a really fun puzzle!

      Second, coming right after the Dollywood THEME discussion, your comment convinces me that whenever I see a clunky clue/answer combo, I’ll blame the editor.

      Delete
    2. @Rachel 10:21 AM
      Thanks for chiming in. It's a fun puzzle. Second day in a row where constructors have come in to explain really horrible clues created by the editors. People get mad at me when I make fun of the editors, but holy cow man, authors shouldn't need to distance themselves from the editors. Editors are supposed to be helpful and collaborative. Have we ever heard from an editor on this blog? I'm pretty sure they don't read it.

      Delete
  33. Never got the theme. Puzzle was relatively easy. Never heard the word TISANES

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hand up for finishing without understanding the theme! Lived next to the YELLOWSEA for a year and still wanted North Korea. LIDAR is a fairly common tech reference these days so interesting that it’s not on everyone’s radar. Starting off with meteor shower was an indication that the cluing was going to be some tough word play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ted Striker12:05 PM

      'LIDAR isn't on everyone's radar' gave me a chuckle!

      Delete
  35. Anonymous10:52 AM

    Rex says Put it in reverse! is the theme. I solve online through NYT games, and never see a theme on Thursdays (contrary to Sundays). Where do I find it? Help please!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Medium I think. I was watching the Padre game while solving so my solving was ERRATIC.

    Very costly erasure - jUS before BUS (too clever on my part)

    Spelling troubles - VIEIRA and EPHRON (I may have confused Zach and Nora).

    WOEs - SKULLS, NIL, and LIDAR

    Tricky/clever theme, not much junk, liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Medium I think. I was watching the Padre game while solving so my solving was ERRATIC.

    Very costly erasure - jUS before BUS (too clever on my part)

    Spelling troubles - VIEIRA and EPHRON (I may have confused Zach and Nora).

    WOEs - SKULLS, NIL, and LIDAR

    Tricky/clever theme, not much junk, liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. A big meh all around. Been there, seen that.
    Weird clueing all over.
    The character's name is Salvatore "Ratso" Rizzo.
    Ratso is therefore a nickname and the clue not offering a hint to that, makes it unfair

    ReplyDelete
  39. I solved it as a themeless and loved the cluing. It’s even better now that I understand the theme. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Highs: Nora EPHRON, Meg Ryan and Rex’ clip of Eva Marie Saint and Carry Grant.

    Lows: BASSI, TORERO

    So so: That clue for DEALS

    ReplyDelete
  41. ¿Hasta dónde pueden bajar?

    Challenging puzzle. Super fun. Plenty of awkwardness to make me happy. Took me forever to figure out that the words were backward and even then it wasn't helpful.

    But alas, the DAM/STEM cross did me in. I'd also never heard of Tisane before so that took awhile too.

    I'm trying a new web browser today, the Samsung one that comes on my phone to do this posting, and when you open it up they are eager to tell you how private this thing is, so that makes me believe it's anything but private. It's like when a news organization tells you they're fair, trustworthy, and "for everybody," they're almost certainly none of the above.

    Looks like imma see @egs from my roof.

    I've come to accept the ITCH that I get in my brain every time somebody tells me they got a tattoo. No I don't want to see it, but oh gosh, I know you need to show it to me. My entire staff looks like a multi-volume encyclopedia of clipart. It's a cultural revolution I just can't get behind. When I think about all the images I might want on my body for the rest of my life, the only thing I can imagine is a portrait of 🦖.

    Almost every Italian speaks English and in English it's spelled BASSES. Musicians need to get past this 14th century tradition. I listen to that old music almost everyday (my playlist is embarrassing) and I feel like I'm well qualified in saying nobody needs this archaic reverence for really boring songification and we should stop using Italian in music and save it for the spaghetti restaurant where it's delicious. Études sounds cooler and more important than studies, so I guess we can keep some French.

    I write in RIZZO every time that Midnight Cowboy thing comes up. And please delete bull fighting from your damn word lists. Gimme billionaires before animal cruelty -- that's how much we don't need TORERO.

    If you're in Chicago, it's DABEARS, and if you're in Cooperstown, it's DABAT.

    Gimme any movie ever over every ROM-COM ever.

    I too had BLUE WAVE. I think BLUE WALL seems wrong unless the wall is made of cardboard. And it's on fire.

    ❤️ Meteor shower.

    Gunkometer--
    People: 10 {ehem}
    Places: 2
    Products: 1
    Partials: 10 {hello}
    Foreignisms: 3
    --
    Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 26 of 74 (35%)

    Funny Factor: 5 😄

    🔥 Ooh-la-la! 🔥 BALLSY. HAIRY BACK.

    Uniclues:

    1 How millionaires in the Colorado mountains needing waxed are known.
    2 Oh dear, you went to the sperm bank?
    3 Result of arsenic laced oolongs.
    4 A flowing river.

    1 HARRY BACK ASPEN
    2 STUD SPA? YIKES!
    3 HERB TEAS SKULLS
    4 INTACT NON-DAM

    My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Alas the yodeling monkey / took drugs and became a junkie / he wanted to sing / but the poor ding-a-ling / the flunkies three notes were all funky. DO-RE-MI APE ODE.

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    ReplyDelete
  42. Fun ThursPuz theme that was fairly easy to figure out, at our house. Them clues chipped in some potent ThursPuz feistiness, tho. LIDAR was pretty BALLSY fill -- that puzgrid area was a toughie, fueled partly by M&A's faulty BLUEWAVE guess.
    DRINKSALLAROUND was a great theme finale, with equally great clue.

    staff weeject pick: ONO. Feisty-clues-all-around sample, here.

    @RP: yep. "North by Northwest" is a definite top 10 fave flick for M&A. And primo comments re: the superb Eva Marie Saint.

    Other fave LIDAR-ERRATIC stuff: HERBTEA clue of mystery. VIEIRA spellin challenge. SKULLS clue. BUS clue. NEO clue. etc.

    DABAT might be a cool apt new name for US currency, if Trup [did y'all know there ain't no "m's" in Trump?] keeps jackin up the debt limit, bigtime.

    Thanx for gangin up on us, Ms. Grey darlin & Mr. Kugelman dude. Real nice ThursPuz. Thanx for yer AIM comment, Ms. Grey.

    Masked & Anonymo6Us

    p.s.
    Runt puzzle:
    **gruntz**

    M&A

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anonymous12:17 PM

    Really didn’t get this one at all - even after I finished it and saw the theme. Not my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  44. Jeremy E12:21 PM

    The theme being "not at all hard to uncover" was not my result, but I was able to plow ahead and solve the puzzle as a themeless. Sounds like I often had the reverse experience from Rex today on what was a hold-up vs. what was easy.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Anonymous12:38 PM

    I don’t mind a stretch here and there but stuff like “blue wall” annoys me. That’s never been a reference to democrats. Maybe the cops.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anonymous1:25 PM

    37D: faraday is unit of charge capacitance.
    Coulomb is unit of charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous 1:25 pm: see the Wikipedia link in my post at 1:33 pm. It says:
      "Farad (symbol: F) is the unit of electrical capacitance"... "Not to be confused with Faraday, a unit of electric charge".

      I was confused too.

      Delete
  47. I am not a big fan of Brit style cryptics. So when I realized that this was going to be some sort of hybrid of an American crossword and a cryptic, I turned off. Solved it. Enjoyed some of the clues. Hated the cryptic parts. They are so convoluted and awkward that they just grate on me. HAIRY BACK! Back means backwards. Wow, isn’t that clever? It’s also overly self conscious - look what I did! - and clunky. Lacking any kind of flow. Not my kind of fun.

    I wondered if I would like it better when I reviewed it in the morning but … no.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Solving last evening, I quickly got the "clues are backwards" trick, and I thought that was it for the theme. Kind of weak! Then this morning, before reading Rex I took another look and said "oh, the themers are: [synonym for reverse] and [an answer for the reversed clue]". Or actually, the first 3 themers are that, but the final two are reversed in order; the [reverse] is last. Yikes!... my head hurts a bit. But I do like the theme!

    Typeovers: for 58 across, before I got the trick, THANKS ALL AROUND. And I finished with a TAB for 22 across ("bar tab"!) before CAB.

    37 down made me do a double take, because in Spelling Bee yesterday we had a very similar unit name, for electrical capacitance!

    ReplyDelete