Relative difficulty: Easy
THEME: "Heart Transplants" — wacky phrases where one word (or phrase) is "transplanted" into the "heart" (center) of the other word (or phrase):
Theme answers:
- KLINGON LINGO (23A: Some "Star Trek" slang?)
- EAR CANAL ARCANA (34A: Secrets known only to E.N.T.s?)
- OVERDID VERDI (43A: Listened to "Rigoletto" way too many times?)
- PAPER CUT APERÇU (64A: "A sharp edge recalls a splinter's bite" or "The forest's final revenge is whisper-thin," e.g.?)
- ELICIT FELICITY (75A: Spark joy?)
- HINDI SHINDIG (98A: Diwali or Holi?)
- LAST IN BLASTING (106A: Like the world's worst demolition company?)
- LOTSA FLOTSAM (120A: A whole bunch of ocean detritus?)
- Daniel Stripèd Tiger (performed by Fred Rogers) – Daniel Stripèd Tiger is the first puppet ever to appear on Children's Corner and Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. He is a shy tiger who lives in a non-functioning grandfather clock with no hands, as it is whatever time can change in The Land Of Make-Believe. Despite his shyness, Daniel exhibits wisdom and intelligence when he does speak. His favorite toy is a small dump truck and he wears a watch on one arm because he lives in the clock and always has to know what time it is. He was the ring bearer for Betty and James's wedding. He was named after Dorothy Daniel, who gave Fred his first puppet. Daniel was the puppet most frequently brought along by Rogers for live performances and Rogers stated that Daniel represented certain aspects of his personality. In July 2011, PBS announced that Daniel's son (also named Daniel) would be the star of his own show Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. (wikipedia)
• • •
I kept wanting the shaded squares to do something. To spell something. To be meaningful in any way. But they were just the shell, the outer casing for the other word/phrase to be "transplanted" into. The effect is a bunch of random shaded letters and theme answers that are way, way, way too easy to uncover. Repetition is built into the theme, so any challenge that the theme clues might present is practically eliminated. I think some of the theme answers work OK—OVERDID VERDI is probably the nicest, the most compact, the most plausible, and LAST IN BLASTING the funniest—but mostly they're just there, doing this trasplanty thing in a a kind of ho-hum way. And about APERÇU ... look, no one likes this word. The only time you ever see it is in crosswords. I thought I knew what it meant, but that clue makes me unsure (64A: "A sharp edge recalls a splinter's bite" or "The forest's final revenge is whisper-thin," e.g.?). Are APERÇUs just ... sayings? Aphorisms? The ones in the clue read like bad fortune-cookie fortunes. I thought the term meant something like "pithy observation," and I guess that's what those are, but woof. Since when did whispers start being "thin?" Don't tell me, probably the 18th century. I'm used to things being "whisper quiet" and "paper thin." My point is, a theme answer where your wordplay is built around the word APERÇU, probably not gonna be a crowd-pleaser. Mostly, this puzzle just felt insubstantial. I had some very minor trouble in and around the NE, but otherwise, the themers made it very easy to move through the long stuff, and the short stuff put up next to no fight, so pfft—game over quickly, little impression left.
["With just three days more / I'd've just about learned the entire score / To AIDA (4)"]
The one real highlight for me was when I remembered the word "CALDERA" (38A: Depression formed by a volcano's collapse). It did not happen immediately. I was like "what's that word, I know I know it" and so I left and came back, then I had the "-ER-" and thought "I think it ends in 'A'" and that checked out and then I was like "ha, CALDERA, it's CALDERA!" And I was right. Hurray, brain! Slow, but still got it! On the other hand, my brain was less cooperative in the NE, particularly with the second themer, where I could see very quickly that the word "ARCANA" was gonna be involved, but I just couldn't parse the EAR CANAL part. I was like "EAR ... CANADA?" I think the fact that EAR CANAL was two words threw me. Also throwing me in that area was IN PEN, which I had as INKED (31A: Like most autographs). And since I have never seen a single episode of "The Bear," the "matriarch played by Jamie Lee Curtis" ended up looking like it was gonna be DONDA, and I thought "sure, why not? Weird name, but maybe that's why they're using such a niche reference." But the "K" in INKED eventually made everything buckle. I was staring down PET KASS- at 15D: Document used for a travel companion who might sit under a seat and after I entertained PET KASSETTE for about a half second, I realized INKED had to be wrong. PET PASSPORT, IN PEN, DONNA, done done done. Weird to actually get INK just a few answers down from there, at INK PAD (53A: Rubber stamp go-with). Weirder still to get a second PAD (see 15A: Boulderer's safety item). Doubling PAD feels bad, especially when one of the PADs is stand-alone. I understand tolerating some minor duping (like CHANCE IT / YES IT IS / 'TIS), but duping PAD is conspicuous. Makes the editing seem sloppy.
[25A: Infamous Russian mystic]
- 101D: Vietnamese sandwich (BANH MI) — this was how I distinguished LIS from LYS (128A: Fleur-de-___). But I still managed to spell "BANH" wrong (like the German road instead of the ... Vietnamese sandwich)
- 62A: Sleuth, slangily (TEC) — still not sure who's using this when? I see it all the time in crosswords, but not in crime fiction, which I teach regularly. Dick, shamus, gumshoe, P.I. ... all valid. TEC, blecch.
- 130A: Needlessly adorns, in an idiom (GILDS) — as in "___ the lily."
- 8D: Stress-induced discomfort (AGITA) — a Crossword Condition, like APNEA or ACNE or a STYE, except I've actually heard all those used outside crosswords (not true of AGITA).
- 90D: Home of the N.C.A.A.'s Flyers (DAYTON) — me, stubbornly: "Why Won't PHILLY work!?!?!" (by "stubbornly," I mean "stubbornly ignoring the 'N.C.A.A.' part of the clue)
- 92D: Train sound (WHISTLE) — had the "W-" and really wanted "WHOO-HOO" or "WOO-WHOO" or some other "sound" vaguely resembling whatever sound a train WHISTLE makes. Something like this:
- 114D: Young newts (EFTS) — EFTS crossing AREEL is a real crosswordese low point today, rivaled in its nadirnity only by ORO crossing ARCO crossing APERÇU. Oh, and that rotten PEI ÉTÉ REI center. The heart of the Tootsie Pop is supposed to be good, not evil!
That's all for today. See you next time.
[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Facebook and Letterboxd]
=============================
❤️ Support this blog ❤️:
=============================
📘 My other blog 📘:
- Pop Sensation (vintage paperbacks)






Can’t be bothered. Nothing but names and other gunk.
ReplyDeleteOkay, Michael, you warmed me up good with the answer EAR CANAL ARCANA, so silly and random that it put me in a good chuckly mood.
ReplyDeleteBut then you slayed me with PAPER CUT APERÇU, not only more silly and random, but given a clue so serious sounding while so tongue-in-cheek – [“A sharp edge recalls a splinter’s bite” or “The forest’s final revenge is whisper thin”, e.g.”] – I just had to shake my head slowly in wonder at the humor and wit. Capital-F funny.
Bravo, sir. Thank you for a stellar Crosslandia moment!
I use and have heard used AGITA all the time, although its spelling is not as well agreed on (I've seen agida, oggita, ogida). No idea who N.K. JEMISIN is or what the Broken Earth trilogy is, although reading up on it it sounds like something I'd like, so thanks to the NYTXW for that. Otherwise I agree with @Rex.
ReplyDeleteI second the relatively common use of ‘agita’!
DeleteI highly recommend the Broken Earth trilogy. Just an incredible series, the author deserved every award she won for those books.
DeleteI got stuck because I was SO SURE Mr Roger's friend was "Daniel Tyger." Shout out to Boney M! I had their 45 of Rivers of Babylon (B Side Brown Girl in the Ring) back in the day.
ReplyDeleteI just don’t understand the thought process of the editing group that chooses to run these Sunday puzzles. Unenjoyable - repetitive punny games each week that fall flat. Today we get this mystery shaded square that turns out to be completely unnecessary. A paradigm shift for these big grids needs to happen.
ReplyDeleteThe Siberian mushroom Santa
Was in fact RASPUTIN’s brother
And he didst walk round Whitechapel
To further the religion of forgiven sin murder
Fantastic lie!
Rex summarizes so clearly today. Densely themed - I liked LOTSA FLOTSAM I guess. Solved using crosses mostly so disregarded some of the themers. PET PASSPORT, MIDDLE SEATS, GODDESSES are brutal longs that eat up a lot of real estate. Isn’t HINDI a language? Loved seeing the great Barry Lyndon and KUBRICK.
CAL
POINTLESS is a wonderful descriptor for this one.
Clem Snide
I agree on the Hindu/Hindi matter. I was really trying to get Hindu Shindug to somehow make sense
DeleteHey All !
ReplyDeleteNeat finding eight repeater-insiders. Also neat, the top four are with the different letters at the first letter and in the middle, bottom four are in the middle and the last letter.
LOTSAFLOTSAM gets kind of a side-eye, but still elicited a chuckle. KLINGON LINGO was fun.
Agree on the easy side, which for me is always a good thing. Some good fill, considering having to work around all the Theme. Nice puz, Michael.
Hope y'all have a great Sunday!
Three F's, of which two are highlighted for the Theme, so a NET of 1 non-Themer
RooMonster
DarrinV
Agida (or agita) is a word heard often in Italian households. I can still hear my grandparents shouting “Kingo! Stop that! You’re giving me agida!” while they were reaching for the Brioschi.
ReplyDelete♥️
DeleteMy wife is second generation Italian, and she uses agita on a regular basis!
DeleteSeen it, never said or heard it. Is it pronounced ah-JEE-tah, AH-jit-uh, or with a hard G?
DeleteAbsolutely! “You’re giving me AGITA!” is said at least twice a week in Italian households.
DeleteI didn't feel as much AGITA about this puzzle as Rex and others, but I acknowledge the goofy simplicity of this theme. That is, could this have been elevated to something more sophisticated? I dunno. The INKPAD / PAD thing, I didn't see but agree that's suboptimal editing. Interesting to see ELF-EFT-ELO scattered around. And TAPIN-TAPIR. And ATTA-ETTA. Hmm.
ReplyDeleteEasy but a lot of unknown words kept it interesting. I also was slowed down in the NE because of MAT instead of PAD and ININK instead of INPEN. Had AISSLESEATS instead of MIDDLESEATS but a proofread resolved that easily enough. I liked it.
ReplyDeleteI liked it! I hear AGITA all the time. Must be the circles i travel in.
ReplyDeleteI've seen 'tec' used and mocked in the Lord Peter Wimsey detective novels, so I know it was present and cliché in 1920's/30's Britain. Read them for the first time this summer, so was delighted to see the clue! Also happy to see N.K. Jemisin, five times Hugo award winner.
ReplyDeleteMy first Sunday completion without needing to Google anything. I could tell it was easy, but I feel very proud of myself!
thank you for the reading recommendations! i took a screenshot to remind myself.
Delete@Hark A Rat, congratulations!
DeleteLove your name!
DeleteIf Rex had grown up in and around NYC he would've heard agita all the time. It's very common Italian-American "slang" that has even been adopted outside of that community.
ReplyDeleteYep. I always thought it was Yiddish until I was an adult!
DeleteI like saying LOTSA FLOTSAM I mean who doesn't?
ReplyDeleteLOTSA FLOTSAM does have a nice ring to it. The puzzle overall was pretty average.
DeleteCan't we just enjoy a fun, undemanding puzzle? They don't all have to be brain-busters ...
ReplyDeleteYou're kidding, right?
DeleteSame here. I like a Sunday puzzle that has a little chuckle-worthy wordplay and doesn’t take all day to solve. Easy. Like Sunday morning.
Delete@anon 8:10 - absolutely, just check out the New Yorker , Mon - Weds (although their Mondays can be demanding sometimes).
DeleteMuch too easy for a Sunday. But I liked it. 🎈🎈🎊🎊
ReplyDeleteThe word agita comes from a Southern Italian dialect pronunciation of the Italian word acido (meaning "acid" or "heartburn"), which traces back to the Latin word acidus.
ReplyDeleteHeard often during my childhood, often with indication myself or siblings were cause.
Found this relatively easy. Find I sometimes feel we're expected to admire the construction shennanigans over the fill. I prefer my challenge in the fill.
Have the best Sunday you can!
I waited all night to see what I had missed about the shaded squares and it turned out I hadn't missed anything. Totally useless, as I had thought. Mediocre puzzle at best.
ReplyDeletePrevious day solvers can go to Wordplay, the NYT analysis of the puzzle for insight. On my screen (iPhone) I hit the “i” at the top, then select “Get solving tips, comment on today’s puzzle” at the bottom of the next page. (I still read Rex the next day!)
DeleteThose shaded squares!?!?!? Why?
ReplyDeleteAperçu is fun if you are speaking French
Take the filled shaded squares out of the entry and you're left with two same words. Just indicates the word that's in the word. Moi, I prefer more wit in a theme. BTW I speak and read lots of French; see more APERÇUS used in English. Still, it's a fun word.
DeleteI liked the fact that the extra letters in OVERDID VERDI were OD, as in OD on VERDI. Also wanted something like WHOO WOO for the train sound.
ReplyDeleteI liked this more than Rex did, and my favorite was LOTSA FLOTSAM, which made me smile! There were many unknowns for me, but I worked them out from crosses: TATI, CALDERA, DESI, JEMISIN, BEY.
ReplyDeleteI liked the clue for POINTLESS (Anti-matter?) and the one for UNCORK (Get into a cab, say).
I really wanted Rex to tell me what an ECHIDNA was, but he didn't, so in case you're wondering, it's a spiny anteater wih a long, sticky tongue that lives in places like Australia and New Guinea.
Enjoy your Sunday, everyone!
All three late-week puzzles have been insufficiently challenging. Today at least I could amuse myself by looking for other possible themers in the grid:
ReplyDeleteVirtial assistant of the underworld: OSIRIS SIRI
Highlight of Puccini's The Girl of the Golden West: LARIAT ARIA
Condiition of allowing Martians to land: ALIENS LIEN
Tree that has recovered since the reintroduction of wolves to Yellowstone: CALDERA ALDER
JEMISIN and NFL was a Natick for me because I’ve never heard of that author, book, or surname. And when my wife suggested NFL I confidently said “no, sweetheart. There is no NFL team called the commanders”. I guess I was not aware of that particular bit of recent trivia.
ReplyDeleteThan N was my last letter in, correcting A. I’m like you, minus any knowledge of pro football.
DeleteIt would've been a better puzzle if the squares were not greyed. Ridiculously easy. And with the repeated words, once you got the theme, you could start filling in squares from the repeated word.
ReplyDeleteJemison won the Hugo Award 3 times in a row so I read the trilogy.... I'm not a big science fiction fan and didn't really enjoy the read but apparently everyone else did. Characters turn into rocks ..I dunno.
But I agree that this will be a pleasure for solvers who struggle with more difficult puzzles. And the themers were okay. Now to the WSJ meta....
My wife prints the puzzle for me, for some reason the shading doesn't print and she dutifully uses a highlighter before delivering it to the breakfast table. This AM she asked if they were really meaningful, I am not gonna tell her THEY WERE NOT!!! Signed, another Matthew B.
DeleteI, for one, really relish saying and using the word APERÇU. Seeing it in PAPERCUT was a joy.
ReplyDeleteThis puzzle was a clever breeze of a solve. Enjoyed it!
Has there ever been a puzzle with Aegean and Adriatic in it?
ReplyDeleteI forgot what cryptid means, YETI was able to get 79D.
ReplyDeleteYESITIS: A condition marked by bouts of unrestrained sycophancy. Currently running rampant in the GOP.
Could someone who is not angry be described as NOMADIC?
Soapmaker: I'm running low on supplies.
What's the problem?
No LYE.
I believe you, but what's the problem?
No LYE.
Are you deaf? I said I believe you.
Arggggh!
Autobiography written by the owner of Cheers: IMALONE.
So I forgot to bring the Vietnamese sandwiches to the group meeting. That's no reason to BANHMI!
I see ETTA James was finally put in her Place. She'll be back.
******
I enjoyed the puzzle, but I'm an easy grader. Very nice to see LOU Brock. He "stole home" six years ago. Rest in peace.
DNF on noTATION crossing TEn and JEMISoN. I knew the slangy detective was TEC (from crosswords, not from real life) but JEMISoN seemed exactly right and I did not think of CITATION instead of noTATION. I had to come here to see it.
ReplyDeleteI also had to come here to see the theme. I just solved it as a themeless with lots of punny repeating letters. I had no idea what the shaded squares meant. I still wonder why they needed to be shaded — I guess it was to show us that they are placed symmetrically? Which probably means it was hard to construct.
Never heard of “ate” as “performed exceptionally.” “Overdid Verdi” and “Elicit Felicity” were clever. A straightforward puzzle, if a bit easy for a Sunday.
ReplyDeleteDisentir es patriótico.
ReplyDeleteThis was an enjoyable puzzle for me since I like the theme. It'll be panned by many here, but it won me over with KLINGON LINGO. I also laughed at EARCANAL ARCANA. And, okay, LOTSA FLOTSAM is magic.
This was is the third puzzle in a row with over 40% Gunk ratings. Folks, we are paying for a whole lotta trivia this weekend.
Almost beat my Sunday record but sheesk ECHIDNAS, amirite? I looked 'em up afterward and they're cute as heck.
Isn't TATI how you spell TATS in ancient Rome?
We have a CALDERA up the road about an hour or so. I've been down a rabbit hole learning all about it now. I'll probably go up and sit in the mineral springs like a lunatic soon.
Gunkometer--
People: 18
Places: 5
Products: 14
Partials: 13
Foreignisms: 10
--
Gary's Grid Gunk Gauge: 60 of 140 (43%)
{Gunkopolis and neighboring Gunkville in Gunky county have each issued keys to their cities proclaiming the NYTXW editorial team honorary citizens (Gunkevites) for life after displaying heroic perseverance in Gunkifying a three day stretch this weekend. They'll all receive medals made of Gunkanium and can drink Gunk Grog in any tavern for free. (Fair warning, it tastes like meaningless trivia and half formed "words" shrouded in place names, foreign phrases and enough products to fill up a suburban garage -- in other words, it tastes like giving up and people in Gunkistan love it.)}
Funny Factor: 4 😕
🔥 Ooh-la-la! 🔥 Alas, not a lascivious thought today. I blame the covid vaccine.
Uniclues:
1 Final critic disapproving of the Grecian urn.
2 Where you ride when you have nothing meaningful to add.
3 When God got a stretch of speeding tickets and lost his chariot license.
4 Pretty girl saying, "Get that cat out of here."
1 LAST IN BLASTING VASE
2 POINTLESS MIDDLE SEATS
3 OSIRIS CITATION ERA
4 PET PASSPORT GODDESSES
My Fascinating Crossword Uniclue Keepsake from Last Year: Comfy chest cover with sunburn prevention technology. ANTI-UV AHH BRA.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mr Parker, thanks for your crossword analysis, but I am more interested in how you select the accompanying music selections. Are these from your personal knowledge or do you search for them? The music is the highlight of the blog for me. Bravo.
ReplyDeleteOne of the easiest Sundays I've ever done, in the most literal sense- either my 2nd- or 3rd-fastest time, doing it on my phone while getting ready for bed. The theme was obvious and not a single area provided pushback.
ReplyDeletepersonal best time for a sunday by 25 prcnt. extremely easy.
ReplyDeleteI felt like I was on unstable footing this entire puzzle, so wasn't surprised when I finished and nothing happened. I was surprised that it turned out I only had one mistake, thinking (but not confident) that a "Rose Bowl" might be a VALE and having a very vague idea that I had heard the egg-laying mammal's name before but not knowing how to spell it and would have believed a whole bunch of different letters in various places. Then VASE seemed more likely and voila. Success.
ReplyDeleteAnyone else think the "Python" clue was referencing Monty Python, and therefore was looking for a synonym of "skit" or "film" or "spoof"? Snapped out of it when I was pretty sure of DESI (can't tell you what it's referring to, but have seen it enough apparently) and then CALDERA tickled something in the back of my brain and only then remembered Python as a coding language.
Don't see the point of the shaded squares. Training wheels for beginners maybe, but felt unnecessary. Enjoyable enough for a cloudy Sunday morning. 31:03
Donda was Kanye’s mom’s name.
ReplyDeleteBut the answer was DONNA?
DeleteIf I'd taken a few seconds to see what was happening with the grey squares, I would have finished faster by being able to fill stuff in between the other greys...
ReplyDeleteMiddle left was tough...I had JEMIS_N and guessed it was an O; had no clue about the Flyers [with ___TON the only college I could think of was SEATON for Seaton Hall], and somehow was I blanked on REDDIT (at one point I had REDSI_ and figured it had to be REDSIX, even though I knew I had to at least have heard of a company that calls itself 'the heart of the internet'). Finally got there, but spent an inordinate amount of time in that area compared to the rest of the grid!
I for one enjoyed this, but a little too easy. I had to look up apercu after the finish, had heard it, but did not know it. Wonderful word! And, as I write this comment, spell check is telling me it's not a word, unless you put the little "foot" on the "c" of the word. So aperçu works, but apercu does not. And, I don't even know how to type the "c" on my keyboard, I had to paste the entire word from a dictionary. I guess the "ç" tells the French how to pronounce the word, which is a famous line from "My Fair Lady".
ReplyDeleteI would not consider "gilds" as an idiom, the word goes waaaay back. My idiom for needlessly adorns is "pimps". But I run in somewhat more questionable circles than others.
@Seastate5 10:21 AM
DeleteI think the idiom they're referring to is "gilds the lily."
this puzzle was on the very easy side and a veritable smörgåsbord of hot (CALDERA, LOTSAFLOTSAM) and so very cold options (just about every non-marquee answer but especially TEC). i always enjoy putting to use 6 years old me's knowledge of the egg-laying ECHIDNA and the musty-fill but enjoyable EFT. i was disappointed "asta" did not show up and that ATS wasn't "ass" so the puzzle could have both LOTSA- and ATSA.
ReplyDeleteAnyone else for GIMME on 1 across? (Although I recovered nicely after that ERRANT fill).
ReplyDeletei did
DeleteWednesday's theme was to remove 2 (identical) letters from one answer to make an intersecting entry. Today's theme is to remove the first and last letters of the first word to get the second word. Strange of the editors to run such close themers in the same week.
ReplyDeleteI’ve gotten to the point where I get a chuckle out of the “safety valve” entries. My favorite type is when they come up with three random letters and search far and wide for a language that it means something in. I see that today they had to check down via a PPP entry - it sure looks like they got stuck over in the SW but fortunately someone determined that BEY is someone’s nickname. What a great clue - “someone’s nickname”. I know they changed it to someone’s Pop, but no problem paying homage to dear old dad even if it’s not June.
ReplyDeleteI also enjoyed ETTA crossing SIETE - (an Old Chestnut: when you have a fictional character and are stuck for a cross, just break out an arithmetic test in a foreign language of your choice).
And of course, kudos to the gibberish in the theme answers. My favorite is PAPER CUT APER CU. What the heck is an APER CU ? It sounds like an STD.
"Tec", as a shortening of "detective" was once a common way for comic hook fans to refer to the title "Detective Comics", since that avoided confusion with its publisher, which took its name, DC Comics, from the series. (Of course, that series is best known for being the one in which Batman debuted, and still appears in to this day.) As such, I had no issue with the clue.
ReplyDeleteWhy did i wait all week for a large Monday puzzle?
ReplyDeleteAgain, half the fun is correctly anticipating the lead gripe. In this case I'm 100% onboard. The shaded squares insult our intelligence. We'd have figured out the theme without them and better enjoyed doing so. They merit at least a one-star demerit.
ReplyDeleteOther notes: I use "agita" in speech, but semi-ironically. I imagine it was part of my cranky Jewish ancestors' vocabulary.
"The forest's final revenge is whisper-thin" -- googling it just returns results about this crossword, but I want it to be about paper cuts.
A certain brand of nerdiness helped me today: CALDERA was a Linux distribution back in the day, and the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons book Unearthed ARCANA -- the source of countless arguments on many a high school D&D campaign -- introduced me to this word.
Happy with a mistake-free Sunday outing. I’m trying to get back in the groove after my fruitless anti-trivia boycott. Even though I hate the proper names, there’s enough wordplay to keep me happy.
ReplyDeleteYes, easy, the xword equivalent of a TAP IN.
ReplyDeleteLiked it more than @Rex did.
Jamie Lee is terrific in The Bear.
Easy-breezy Sunday morning filled with answers that are fun to voice. Clearly not meant to be an intellectual tussle, tho some answers like CALDERA and APERCU, and ECHIDNA came from rarely visited parts of my brain. Was misled by “Python” to focus on film related answers, and never heard of ATE as something exceptional. Fun write up by Rex.
ReplyDeleteBeen solving the times puzzle for almost 60 years and may have been the easiest of all time. Solved it in the time it took to jot down the letters.
ReplyDeleteI agree that the squares should not have been shaded. It was too much of a giveaway. an easy Sunday puzzle for a very wet morning here in Palm Springs as we get the remnants of hurricane Rachel coming through town
ReplyDeleteI didn’t like “Hindi Shindig” - because Hindi is a language. Hindu shindig works but obviously breaks the theme.
ReplyDeleteEvery time I hear about the AEGEAN Sea, I have flashbacks of being in my twenties and being hired by a high school teacher to grade some of her busywork. The class was reading the Odyssey, and the teacher had the students watch some film and fill out a worksheet about what they were watching. One of the questions was, “Where was Odysseus sailing?” and a student wrote “a GNC.” At first I, puzzled, marked it wrong and moved on, but when two or three others wrote the same, I paused long enough to figure out what had happened. Bless their hearts, as we say in the South. I went back and gave full credit.
ReplyDeleteFor some reason HINDI SHINDIG made me chuckle, and I enjoy many of the others mentioned (OVERDID VERDI, LOTSA FLOTSAM, LAST IN BLASTING). Not having done crosswords long enough to know ARCANA and APERÇU, I appreciated at least that I didn’t need to know them to fill it in.
Not much in a critical mood (got through two stacks of freshmen essays last week, and that’s about all my brain can take for a while), I came out of this puzzle with only one gripe. ORG clued as [Part of NGO: Abbr.]??? As if all the abbreviations and acronyms weren’t enough, you had to combine them? I prefer my abbreviations and acronyms to be as quickly passed over as possible, almost apologizing for their existence and making their easiness part of the restitution.
I did this on my phone last night as a themeless. Initially I avoided the shaded squares but once they inevitably filled in and I could see that they weren't forming words I just ignored them. While filling the grid I was aware of the similarities between the two halves of the themers but I didn't realize it was actual duplication until I'd finished and could look over the grid. APERCU was the highlight. JEMISIN was the closest it came to a possible dnf. I expected that last vowel to be an O. It was CITATION to the rescue.
ReplyDeleteThe shaded squares just made this way too easy and took away any of the fun of figuring out the themers. The theme would have been cute and easy without those squares, but with them, they give away the answer. For those of you who don't get why long-time solvers complain that the NY Times crossword has been dumbed down, I suggest you explore older crosswords in the archive. It currently goes back to 1993. Start there to see how difficult the puzzles used to be.
ReplyDeleteFor those of you that haven't, read the "Broken Earth" trilogy. It's fantastic. Was really happy to see her name come up!
ReplyDeleteAnon at 11.11, it's "AH-jit-uh". And Anon at 11.05, isn't every Sunday puzzle a larger than life Monday?
ReplyDeleteThe only theme entry that really worked for me was KLINGON LINGO (23A: Some "Star Trek" slang?) because “lingo” is, after all, kinda slang. The rest fine (except the APERCU one) and of course the repeating letters did speed up the solve.
ReplyDeleteVery confidently wrote in “angst” for 8D. Like Rex I have never heard AGITA irl (Irish-Welsh decent here).
Liked the puzzle more that Rex & many here.
I became acquainted with AGITA in episodes of The Sopranos.
DeleteOVERDID VERDI? Is that even possible? I thought there were more winners than duds: LOTSA FLOTSAM, LAST IN BLASTING (makes me laugh, again), and EAR CANAL ARCANA - would love to sit in on that unit in ENT school; and I'll give credit for effort on coming up with two PAPERCUT APERCUs. One of these years I'm going to learn how to spell ECHIndA.
ReplyDeleteCould have used JEMISON (the astronaut) and NOTATION and TEC becomes TEN.
ReplyDeleteI.M. Pei? Sure. But just PEI? When Prince Edward Island, aka PEI, is RIGHT THERE? Come on now. "Smallest prov. in Can." Easy peasy. Also FYI to Rex if DONDA is ever needed it will surely be clued as a Kanye West reference, either referring to his beloved late mother, or the album he named in her honour. It is indeed a unique name and she is by far the most notable person to have used it, so it's worth filing away!
ReplyDeleteNadirnity! This word in Rex's commentary was the highlight of this puzzle for me. And what a festival of crosswordese it was, when we have to consider which collision of crossword clichés takes us deepest into the depths of despair! One thing you can say for sure about a 21x21 grid is that it gives the constuctor room for LOTSA 3- and 4-letter fill.
ReplyDeleteLiked it. Had a bit'o humor, in the full puzthemers, plus had the different duplicative elements. Difficulty-wise, I'd say easy-ish most places, but there were a few no-know traps lyin in wait.
ReplyDeletestaff weeject picks: ATS & BEY. No-know stuff, crossed by no-knows ATTA & BANHMI. 38 of the lil 3-long devils today, btw.
some faves included: ELECTOR clue. KUBRICK. POINTLESS clue. CALDERA. RASPUTIN. CITATION. PETPASSPORT & its clue. With a primo central PEI-REI weeject stack.
Thanx for the full-boat fun, Mr. Lieberman dude. Hopefully nobody will GIT[A]GIT[A] from that LYE in yer soup.
Masked & Anonym007Us
p.s.
Runt puzzle for dessert:
**gruntz**
M&A
Caught on early with the KLINGON / LINGO themer and the rest was mostly easy. I owuld like to have seen GETSOMEJETSAM , of course it doesn't work, but it's fun to say. Passed my SAT vocab. test by knowing CALDERA and ECHIDNA and even remembered APERCU, after I had read the clue five or six times and had it totally filled in from crosses,
ReplyDeleteTrouble in the NE like some others, I started with ININK which blocked things nicely. Also thoughtbouldering was an outdoor thing and taking a MAT along seemed unlikely.
Have never seen the last name JEMISIN and i;ve been around for a while. Always something new under the sun.
OK Sunday, mostly too easy.
Multiple characters on The Sopranos complain about AGITA all the time.
ReplyDeleteThis puzzle was great fun and helped wake up my brain with the accompanying cup of coffee. What more do I want on a lazy Sunday morning? Nothing.
ReplyDeleteEven though it was a Sunday, I kind of enjoyed this one. I wasn’t really bothered by the grey squares because, hey, it was late at night, my hockey team had put in a miserable showing (it’s going to be one of those years) and I just wanted to breeze through something and hit the sack.
ReplyDeleteAnd I learned a few things. Because I had an inkling of the theme, I knew PAPERCUT was going to give me APERCU, a word I’ve seen often enough in crosswords but whose meaning a bit of a mystery to me. So, post-solve, I got to look it up and found that my feeling that it had something to do with cleverness was not entirely wrong. Satisfying, that.
Also checked another crossword regular: AGITA. Thank you to all the commenters who were able to explain. I spent my first 7 years in a neighbourhood in East Vancouver where I attended a lot of birthday parties for kids named Tony or Angelo or Marco and never heard that word. But when you’re a little kid you don’t remember a lot of stuff. When we moved out to the burbs and I started junior high, my best friend was a kid named Paolo (he used Paul at school but Paolo at home) and, for a few years, I spent as much time in his home as I did in my own. He had a warm, welcoming, and funny family and I don’t ever recall Mamma Maria claiming that we, Paolo’s buddies, ever caused her AGITA. So maybe not just cultural, but regional?
Anyway, I’m not a big fan of Sundays, but this one worked for me.
The NYTXW editor loves his shaded squares, little circles and other playthings. I just try to ignore them and solve it like...like a crossword puzzle.
ReplyDeleteI sometimes feel like the editors all have the same vacation schedule, and on those weeks, the interns are editing the puzzle. It just felt like a large Monday puzzle with really boring fill. And I'm pretty sure it includes a serious gaffe with the hindu/hindi mistake.
ReplyDelete